Reviews of Hotel Bilbi 2 stars

Miribilla, 8, 48003 Bilbao, Spain

#42 of 47 hotels in Bilbao

Convenient affordable hotel with 24h reception
    • Double or Twin Room

Not the hotel's fault, but the immediate area is a bit dodgy at night: the walk was past groups of men and "ladies of the night" hanging around on street corners etc. Perhaps get a taxi if you're arriving late.

24h check-in and very pleasant desk staff who ordered a taxi for us. 20 minute walk to the Plaza de Don Federico Moyúa (where the airport bus stops). Nice room - quite big, good view from 5th floor, pretty reasonable bathroom - better than I'd expect from a 2* hotel.

Comfatable clean and friendly hotel .
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff on the front desk very friendly and super knowledgeable about Bilbao . Gave us a wonderful talk with a map about possible places to go and see , where to eat and drink etc . Hotel was clean and comfortable .

Amazing hotel, cosy, clean with friendly staff

I have asked for a room on the last floor and they gave it to me! The room was on the 8th floor with an amazing view. It was super clean and cosy. I rested very well and was very inspired to work on the terrace. The staff was super friendly as well. I have seen that some people said it is a dodgy area, which it is. However, if you take the root across the bridge you will not even encounter it.

Bilbao had 90+% occupancy when we booked!

we could only get a triple room for the 2 of us. it was rather crowded

Bilbao had 90+% occupancy when we booked! We were pleased to get anything reasonable in a good location!

Fernando, at the checkin desk made the whole trip fantastic. Thanks so much
    • Double or Twin Room

Fernando, at the checkin desk was so incredible and helpful. He organised a great walking tour for us on a very rainy time in Bilbao. Great restaurant recommendations and he was so incredibly helpful, I will send my friends.

Would not recommend and especially through booking.com
    • Double or Twin Room

Very uncomfortable beds, very noisy late at night. When booking I wasn’t told you had to book parking, so consequently I had to pay £17 for overnight parking, which was 20 min walk away from hotel. Also not told about paying for pets which cost me an extra £27 so not very cheap after all

Clean, facilities ok

Good location but head left and over the river from the...
    • Double or Twin Room

Paid over the odds because the European Rugby Final was on but that's just supply and demand I guess.

Good location but head left and over the river from the hotel towards the old town.

Loved Bilbao but sorry would not use this hotel agsin
    • Double or Twin Room

Overall lack of facilities and poor bathroom

Shower door very narrow and surface very slippy . No self catering facility I.e a kettle. Given how expensive hotel rooms were due to the rugby was happy to have a bed in a central location

We were satisfied by staying at the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpfull and spoke english
    • Double or Twin Room

We stayed 2 days at Hotel Bilbi. The hotel is near the old town and comfortable close to everything we should see (including Guggenheim Museum 1,5 km away). The hotel was without restaurant and breakfast, but that meant nothing for us. The bed was very good. We paid 11 euro pr. day for safe underground parking opposite the hotel.

Unpleasant!
    • Double or Twin Room

This place looks rather like an old-fashioned night club than a hotel. Disgusting, gloomy corridors painted black. Often happened that after leaving my room lights did not turn on and I found myself in complete darkness. Everything, including lobby, elevators, corridors and rooms required redecoration. The walls were dirty and full of dust, concrete floor cold and unpleasant.

Located not far from the city center. Some good restaurants and places of interest nearby. Comfortable bed.

You get what you pay for

The hallway smelled strongly of cigarettes, was also under construction during our stay. Couldn't work the airconditioner and was stuck with nothing but hot air when we wanted to cool down.

The room was the right size, and they had one of the bigger bathrooms we've seen.

Very clean, friendly helpful staff, great location (was a...
    • Double or Twin Room

Pillows were very flat and only had 1 each (but now I’m picking as this place was great especially for the money we paid)

Very clean, friendly helpful staff, great location (was a little concerned about the location after reading some other reviews but no need to worry) great price also

Location was good. Close to river.
    • Double or Twin Room

No coffee or kettle in the room. No parking available, had to walk quite a distance and pay daily fee to park. Beds very hard.

Check in easy, friendly.

Room was warm and clean although tired

Garage was expensive and difficult to get to initially,, no hot water, insufficient desk space, but then it wasn't expensive

Room was warm and clean although tired

Very central; helpful information about Bilbao from receptionist

Everything was okay.

Very close to delicious Pintxos Bars in Casco Viejo and the market. Also very clean. When I arrived at the hotel, the receptionists gave me a map of the town and very helpful recommendations. It was a very good stay at a good price.

Feeling abused
    • Double or Twin Room

We choose this hotel online for the parking and the pet friendly option. There s no parking, we ve walked a mile with our bags on our backs, feeling cheated. The pet cannot stay alone in the room. !!! Feeling cheated again. LIKE IT WASNT ENOUGH, NO HOT WATER!!!!!!!! IN A HOTEL!!! And we know our neighbours didnt have any hot water either because we could hear them loud and clear, due to a very poor soundproofing...had to use earplugs to sleep...very bad experience. Sleeping in our car would have been the same, only cheaper

Loop

I'd be happy to stay again.
    • Double or Twin Room

Not a complaint but when I arrived the receptionist was surprised I was on my own despite my booking saying this.

It was a good location with everything I needed in my decent sized room. The guy on reception when I left was very friendly.

One of the most memorable places to stay in Bilbao, both its interior and surroundings.
    • Double or Twin Room

I stayed in Hotel Bilbi several times now and enjoyed the experience each time. The hotel is comfortable and well staffed, it has great interior design, the rooms are large and cozy. I also very much like the neighbourhood.

Fabulous , value for money stay , plenty to see and do . Highly recommended for a short break .

Rooms basic but clean , bed comfortable and bed linen spotless . Location was fab within walking distance to old town the hotel is , near red light district but nothing to worry about , we were 3 ladies in 50s and no issues at all . All bars restaurants etc have good value for money options .

I look forward to my next stay at Hotel Bilbi

On my arrival I was greeted by a very pleasant, cheerful person, who was willing to spend time telling me all about the places to go to and see in Bilbao, marking them on a map which he gave me. The other staff were also friendly and helpful. The hotel is within walking distance of the city centre although buses and trams run there from close by.

The reception staff are super friendly and helpful.

Although there's almost zero street noise, walls between rooms and with the residency next door are quite thin. Could hear other guests talking and the neighbour watching TV at night...

The reception staff are super friendly and helpful. Room and hallway are much nicer than expected (should get nicer photos of the reception hall! :) ) Located on a very quiet street, but still walking distance to old town.

I needed a break from everything, that's what I got here

The doors don't really shut, so that lovers and haters don't have much privacy; furniture is very basic; and as there is no restaurant, a fridge would be nice.

It is a charming place next to red light district. Nothing to be worried about! You can't live in a free world without this part of recreational industry. It's a nice area with any kind of social life around. You can reach all important points of interest walking or by tramway. Staff is great, customer policies are generous, it is kind of real feel of the local area. Very very enjoyable.

A lovely city in the sunshine. Stupendous rain when it comes. Worth a day.
    • Double or Twin Room

Location. In a slightly run-down area with much graffiti and closed up premises. Even with sat-nav we drove right past it - and almost missed it on second pass. Not a prominent sign. Had hoped for a fridge in the room but none provided.

Staff very helpful and informative throughout. Room clean. Good wifi - free but insecure.

Simple, clean, 3 stars standard hotel with good price near...

It was Ok for me but for someone it could be 'out of city', although just 10 minutes walk takes you to the heart of city. next to river. little hilly road to walk from centre.

Simple, clean, 3 stars standard hotel with good price near to expensive Bilbao old town. This area is popular among immigrants, as far as i understand. But clean, safe, interesting part of town with good cafes and bars. Hotel looks like apartment building or dormitory, but may room was good enough. no complain. price was perfect for Bilbao.

fine for a night

i had a dodgy electronic door lock which meant the guy on reception needed to let me into my room with a master key and it took 20-30 attempts each time

good location, nice staff

ok hotel, but no heating

the room was quite cold, especially at night, and there was no heating. The receptionist explained that they only turn on the heating system in the cold months. Apparently end October is not among them, despite the 13 degree outside temperature at night. They refused to give me an electric heater, but instead gave me a thick blanket. I was not impressed. Also, the hot water in the bathroom was not hot, but mild, so showers had to be quick and rather unpleasant. In addition, the room lighting is not sufficient in the evening. There is only bed lamps and no overhead light in the room.

good price/quality balance and most of the things are ok: friendly staff, clean and spacious rooms, sufficient facilities, ok location. One of the receptionists was very helpful with information, so I was welcomed in a good atmosphere.

Great place downtown Bilbao
    • Double or Twin Room

We did not make a reservarion for the Parking garage in advance, staff was very friendly and directed us to a large (paid) public parking at about 5 min walk with plenty of space. Next nights we could use the parking garage of the hotel. Minor drawback: Bilbao has very steep streets so the walk back uphil to the public parking lot could be a challenge for some.

Walking distance form the downtown area with the river and (giant) food market, arty neighbourhood, Parking garage across the street. Public transport (trams) and Supermarket nearby. Good coffee from vending machine and small public recreation area with restored old industrial furnace at the end of the street.

I’d probably not return.

Uncomfortable bed and pillows. Engaged with only three members of staff - The older guy was a nasty old grump.

Everything kept impressively clean. That was reassuring. Engaged with only three members of staff - the two younger guys were lovely and helpful.

Good place for a short stay.

A little bit expensive, room was very small, no facilities for eating apart from dispensing machine.

Good location across the river from the old town, cathedral etc. Seventh floor had nice views and was relatively quiet.

Good location just over the river from the old town and has...
    • Double or Twin Room

Quite small and basic but serves the purpose for a night or too.

Good location just over the river from the old town and has everything you need for a night or two to explore the city. Staff very friendly and helpful!

Simple but Ok, wish it was cheaper but great location, especially with a car.
    • Double or Twin Room

Even though it wasn't warm outside, the rooms got very hot so we had to have the air condition running all night, which was annoying as it was blowing in our faces and in the middle of the night we woke up because it got too cold. There was only coffee from a vending machine which was aweful (no options without loads of sugar), we always went out for coffee and breakfast. But they also have a vending machine with soft drinks and beer which was convenient at times. Beds were on wheels, which was awkward but ok ^^

It's simple but ok. Best thing the hotel has going for it is the location, especially if you plan to go outside Bilbao by car. We spent 5 nights, and often took the car out to nature, to the coasts, to nearby towns and cities (which I HIGHLY recommend, the country is beautiful!). It's just close enough to the highways so you don't need long drives through the city traffic, but also super close to the old town and nice restaurants and bars so after a day of hiking the country or the coast you can easily go out to an amazing Spanish dinner (just down the street is the restaurant/bar Peso Neto, MUST visit). (When you come by car use a GPS, don't try to navigate yourself, it will not work, the streets in Bilbao are too crazy) Also our room in the 6th floor had a cute view over the old town. Not much else to comment on as it really is simple. I wish it was a bit cheaper for what it is though. Overall an OK hotel which I would recommend for budget stays.

The staff was very helpful and spoke very good English.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but managed anyway to get a good nights sleep.

The staff was very helpful and spoke very good English. The location was good with an easy access to Ribera Market and old town, Walki g distance to Guggenheim.

better than I was expecting for price paid

No kettle in room, we need our morning cuppa!

very basic but clean rooms. 24 hour manned desk. What the hotel lacks in luxury it more than makes up for in location. Whilst looking quite urban it is literally a 2 minute walk down to the river and the old town where everything that Bilbao has to offer is within easy reach, either by walking or the excellent public transport system. I was able to park my motorcycle in the hotel garage for an additional 11 euros for 2 nights, recommended. to sum up, cheep and clean in an excellent location for sightseeing, would stay again.

A mistake

They were supposed to be 5km from airport, that was 15 so additional taxi cost. They claim to have a desk at the room, there wasnt, blankets smelled horrible to cigarettesmoke, bathroom light did not work.

Staff was friendly

The decor and amenities were perfect!
    • Double or Twin Room

No restaurant... Not even a cafe the hotel had! But restaurants were nearby.. it's hard to walk to restaurant when you r already exhausted so it was a major disappointment for us

The decor and amenities were perfect!

Good location, be prepared not to sleep a wink.
    • Double or Twin Room

The walls were grubby in the corridors and rooms themselves. Pillows were uncomfortable as was the bed.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Property was in a good location close to bus and tram stops.

OK for a very short stay in Bilbao. Didn't break the bank.
    • Double or Twin Room

The location is reputed to be a red-light site BUT we saw no evidence of this during the day or up to 10pm when we turned-in for the night. The room was cramped but adequate for a one night stop over. No eating facilities.

The reception staff were very friendly.There was a lift. The location was on the other side of the river to the old town where the restaurants and bars are but only 10 mins walk over the foot bridge.

This is a nice hotel to stay ;)

Well, perhaps the walls are kind of thin so you can hear more than you expect to hear from other rooms. It is a minor issue, anyway. I will reserve here the next time I return to Bilbao.

Although the room was small it was cozy

Hotel has good position for centrum trips.

Because the hotel is in centrum it was difficult to park. Specially during festa. I don´t recommend it for families with small kids, because the breakfast is not available at hotel. This can be more difficult when you travel with smaller children.

Hotel has good position for centrum trips.

very nice111111
    • Double or Twin Room

i think the green tea dispenser could have more option for less sugar pleasse

The eggs were extra fluffy. there was a bit of toilet papier dans ma chambre: thank you. nice?

Nothing really.
    • Double or Twin Room

Our room was at the end of a very dark - painted black - corridor. The corridor lights did come on automatically when exiting the lift howevery they did not when leaving the room. Had to find the right sensor.

Nothing really..................

Perfect hotel for a short stay in Bilbao!
    • Double or Twin Room

The receptionist was extremely friendly and made a lot of effort in explaining us the best places, what and where to do during our stay. The room was clean and really nice, so was the bathroom. From the hotel you'll find yourself in less than 5 minutes directly in the old city part of the town. All in all completely satisfied with our stay, definetly recommendable if you want to explore the city by yourself.

Great location but not great value for Money
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel room was extremely small and basic things like an iron and iron board were not made available. The walls are not extremely well sound insulated so sound did carry from other rooms. We paid quite a lot for our room ( we were staying peak season ) and I don't believe we got value for money.

The Hotel is extremely well located for the old town which is a very short walk over the river. The hotel receptionist was also very helpful on our arrival and very happy to point out restaurants, bars and places of interest worth a visit.

the single room is extremely tiny.

The soundproof can be a bit better.

the single room is extremely tiny. But it's adequate for one person, very clean and comfortable bed, fast wi-fi

place to sleep

when we arrived they said that we don't have parking, after we told them that we make a reservation for parking, they said yes we have parking place.

good place, you have to make parking reservation, if not you well not find place to park.

A good choice if the price is right
    • Double or Twin Room

Lift made an audible noise every time it arrived on a floor. This could be heard in the rooms. No English Tv despite having cable. In other hotels English could be accessed through the original version of movies etc.

Good sized room and the facilities all worked well. An excellent lounge in the lobby with really comfortable chairs and sofas. The location was great and the staff helpful with good English.

The shower didn't work properly.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower didn't work properly. The staff ran away soon after we arrived and no-one gave us the WiFi password or gave us information about the city.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

The building is older but completely refurbishes.

The streets around the hotel are somewhat on a downturn, lots of closed shops etc.

The building is older but completely refurbishes. Rooms are comfortable, location just across the river from the old town.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

1. Very helpful and friendly staff, they speak good English

Seems that some of the streets close to the hotel are not very safe, more particularly, San Franzisco kalea. Any other streets up or down to this one seems to be quite safe though.

1. Very helpful and friendly staff, they speak good English 2. Cleaning every day 3. Quiet place 4. Close to the old town and train station 5. Super nice view and terrace if the room is on 8th floor

Underwhelmed
    • Double or Twin Room

We were surprised that the property was more rundown than expected. Also, the location was 10-15 minutes away from the historic district, which was nice; however, it was directly located in a red light district, which was unexpected. The rooms were very careworn. There were leaks inside and directly outside (hallway) our rooms. For one night, it worked. I would have moved if it had been more than that. Parking was a 15-20 minute walk away (covered).

The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Very clean and just 3 minutes walking from the old town...
    • Double or Twin Room

It was located at the end of the San Francisco road. San Francisco is a road with bad reputation because of the bothels and the people hanging out there. Walking that road can take you less time to reach the center (Pl. Moyua) but it can be annoying/dangerous especially in the night. I recommend to walk all the way through the river which is 100% safe and a more beautiful route.

Very clean and just 3 minutes walking from the old town (Casco Viejo). We also had a very nice/panoramic view because we stayed on the last floor. Lastly, it is close to the Casco Viejo Metro station, just 10 min walking more or less.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Would not use again, sorry.
    • Double or Twin Room

You need to know the that you cannot get to the hotel by car and that paid parking is across the road and you need a key to get into the parking. There was no parking near to make this easy. The hotel was having works completed outside the front door so noisy. The hotel was in need of refurbishment. The floor we were on had black walls with small light around the bottom of the floor, Very disorientating and would have been very bad if you needed to get out in a fire.

It was good if you wanted to see Bilbao. The staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Well located near to the station and short walk from centre...
    • Double or Twin Room

Mattress was great, sadly the bed it was on top of was wobbly and creaky. Everything was clean, but the paintwork of the room was, I assume, unfinished. The corridors have the style of a Youth Hostel, which is cool by me, but it didn't quite work and they are pretty dark. Pretty sure people smoked in the room in the past, possibly not too recently, but the lingering smell was there.

Well located near to the station and short walk from centre in a diverse, but clearly less wealthy, neighbourhood. Good clean, well decorated bathroom. Friendly reception open 24 hours.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Funky place to stay in bilboa
    • Double or Twin Room

Finding the hotel was an issue as sat Nav put us in the street but hotel was hidden in a slip lamewhich itself was being torn up and parking was across the road and hard to access

the decor was funky

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Good value for the money
    • Double or Twin Room

One of the streets you pass when going from Plaza mouya to the hotel is rather sketchy, a lot of prostitutes waiting for customers outside "clubs". We felt unsafe arriving there around 19.00 in the evening. The beds are very hard and uncomfortable to sleep on.

Staff very helpful giving info about the surrounding areas and handing out free maps. Also open 24/7 so you can leave your key with them when you go out touristing. The room we got (on the 8th floor) had a big terrace with a nice view. Very good room service.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

-comfortable room

- far from public transport - no breakfast - location

-comfortable room -everyday cleaning -near to old town -snacks machine -TV with lots of channels

Decent hotel in Bilbao city.

Bed covers had holes probably from cigarettes from previous guests.

Very helpful, English speaking staff. Nice decent hotel. Central location. We walked to the museum and it took 30 mins. Its a nice walk alongside the river. They have parking - 11 Euros/day. If your stay is during the weekends - you can also park in the green zones around the hotel free of charge from Friday evening to Monday morning.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

We had to change room :( :(
    • Double or Twin Room

We had to change room because of a small leak in the corridor. Nobody could tell me where it was exactly. When we were ready to change room, our new room wasn't ready, so we had to wait. The bed was of poor quality, the base was very cheap.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Great location, just hundred meters from Bilbao historic...
    • Double or Twin Room

Hotel is worn down, rooms are small and with very simple furnishings.

Great location, just hundred meters from Bilbao historic center and the train stations. Hepful staff.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

A basic hotel for a good price.
    • Double or Twin Room

The neighborhood seems shady, but if you come from the side of the river you won't notice it. It was a big noisy in the night, but still I've slept well!

Close to the old town and some nice bars nearby. Friendly staff. The hotel is a little basic, but seemed clean and location is good for the price.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Ideal one night stay before a ferry, did not have breakfast...

In a cosmopolitan area but only a short walk downhill to the river and into the lively old town.

Ideal one night stay before a ferry, did not have breakfast so can't comment.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Situated near the top of Las Rambles.

no faults

Situated near the top of Las Rambles. A short 2 min walk to the beach and BCN parking. Great Location. Clean and friendly hotel with everything you need.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

Great value and easy access to transit.
    • Double or Twin Room

Area is in transition - we were comfortable though.

Location during day is great! Just a short walk down the hill to the market and metro/tram, cafes etc Easy access to museums. Manager who checked us in was great to share information.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

What a surprise.
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel location is very "back streets" but secure inside parking was available. Accepting the above we had no problems whatsoever and would stay there again.

The gentleman on reception really loves his city and he gave us the best ever run down on what "to do" and "not to do" as in tapas bars, shops restaurants, bridges, trams, parks etc. The hotel is only 200yards from the river and the start of the tourist trail. Brilliant.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Dirty room and cold shower
    • Double or Twin Room

At our arrival the room was covered in dust and smelly. There was no staff to clean it until the next morning. In the mornings there was not enough water pressure and the water was cold.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

A fairly nice hotel but in a questionable area, missing some attention to detail

The area the hotel was based in was a real let down, it was dirty and run down, and littered with "working girls". It was fairly intimidating overall - but a venture out to find food was unsuccessful. The hotel lobby was lovely, but the room corridors were really dark and depressing. The wifi advertised was awful. Even on the first floor, speeds were around 0.03 Mbps, with a second room we had on the third floor getting no wifi at all. One of the rooms hadn't been cleaned fully, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Despite lovely staff and a modern lobby, we wouldn't go back.

Staff at the hotel were amazing; we were greeted by an incredibly nice chap who made us feel really welcomed. The room was nice enough, with a really clean and modern bathroom area which had a great shower. Bed was comfortable and there was a TV, hairdryer and extra blankets provided.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Good value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

One room was a little small, would have liked a bit more space.

The location is fantastic but on a steep hill so you have to be fully mobile to take full advantage of this budget hotel.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

Great city location, decent value for money

It's a bit on the basic side, but still decent value compared to other Bilbao hotels

Great location, close to city centre and a number of cool bars. Very helpful staff. 24 hour check in

Great Neighbourhood
    • Double or Twin Room

Lots of hills...but fine once you know this!

Good showers - clean rooms - great neighbourhood bars & restaurants - near the tram

Good

Friendly staff, good location

Balcony and the view are great !
    • Double or Twin Room

Balcony and the view are great !

Very spacious room and friendly staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

Very spacious room and friendly staff. Nice bathroom and comfortable beds

Pet friendly hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

They charge and extra 13 Euros per night for Pets, which is not advertised when booking, so beware.

Pet friendly hotel

expensive, cramped room

expensive, cramped room

Good place if you need a base for exploring the city

Internet in the room

Friendly check in and out - room was very clean and spacious,bed comfortable- close proximity to the old town