Reviews of Catalonia Eixample 1864 4 stars

Roger de Llúria, 60, Eixample, 08009 Barcelona, Spain

#253 of 516 hotels in Barcelona

• Double Room with Terrace

As 4 stars hotel should be more professional and work towards guest pleasure, not opposite. The coffee shop on the main floor has very unprofessional staff, who without hesitation, very rudely respond to the guest, with a simple query.

Room was clean and terrace has an advantage but the barricade for privacy should be constructed better. The area was very good, peaceful and safe in the vicinity of Plaza Catalunya.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Shower constantly changed from hot to cold. Air conditioner made a constant rattling noise. Booked a double room and received 2 single beds that were pushed together.

The staff were very helpful particularly Yalda.

Swimming pool the color of the water was terrible. It was very dirty. We booked the hotel just because of the pool. But the pictures were way to far from reality. Eerything else was perfect 👌🏻

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very good value for money and a great location within easy walking distance of the old town. Staff were very friendly and helpful. I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to my friends.

• Double Room with Terrace

The cooked items (beans bacon sausage etc)in the breakfast section were in all honesty cold , but apart from that no real issues of concern

Rooftop pool area was great , as was the hotel itself , very clean in the general hotel and our Room, well worth paying that little bit more for the terrace which was much bigger than we expecterd (plenty of room for table chairs and two sun loungers.Black out curtains were amazing.. Nice touch from the Hotel with a bottle of (cheap) fizz in the ice bucket (We did leave a message we were celebrating our wedding anniversary whilst staying in Barcelona through booking.com website

I asked for information about a local attraction and the reception staff looked at me blankly and was unable to tell me how to get there. We stayed with our daughter and the room was set up for three people however when the room was made up one day there was only two towels left. Only one glass had been replaced and clearly the other had been smashed as we found a piece of broken glass on the bed! Which could have been a very sorry story with a 4 year old. We stayed for 5 nights and although our room was very clean when we arrived, the floor was never cleaned as was evident from walking around in the room and our sheets were never changed during the whole stay. In fact they were actually turned around to hide any marks,our daughter dripped juice on the bed which we could be seen when the bed was turned down.

Location, quiet and modern rooms.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Street side is loud even with the double windows that are not good. Air-condition makes a noise, not possible to use by night. Backside room is quite and good. Rooms are a bit old and need a renovation.

All the staff was friendly.

• Double Room with Terrace

Restaurant menu small and expensive compared to surrounding restaurants.

Excellent location in Barcelona. Walking distance to most of the tourist areas.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

To book a terrace for four nights would have cost us 690 euros We didn't take it

Breakfast was amazing, everything you could think of and more. Bed was very large and comfortable. Just loved the swimming pool area Staff so friendly and efficient

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing that I would criticize is that the key cards needed to be reset three times.

Location was perfect,quiet but just two blocks away from the Block of Discord. Rooftop terrace was the main reason that I chose the hotel. Very large comfortable bed and great shower. Very close to Passeig De Gracia Metro and Renfe station ideal for airport train.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

As soon as I walked in to my room, which was late at night, I could smell sewer smells from the bathroom. I complained next morning and was told that I could have another room. I vacated my room at midday and was told by the manager to come back at normal check in time for another room, so he expected me to hang around for 2hrs. I told him that this was unacceptable. He told me that he was doing his best, but I told him that he was not making any effort to check if another room was available without me sitting around. He then contacted house keeping and within 1 minute found me another room. My issues with the hotel management are why offer rooms to guests that are unsuitable, why not fix the problem (manager said it would be difficult to fix!) and when this kind of problem arises, the management should make sure the guests are not further inconvenienced. Apart from the breakfast this is not a 4 star hotel. I love this area of Barcelona and have stayed in a dozen or more hotels there, but this hotel and most others in this area have very dated rooms, these hotels should consider modernizing along the lines of the Boutique hotels in this same area.

nice breakfast, good location, unusual roof top pool.

Pool terrace bar not open, jacuzzi not there as was seen on pictures on booking.com, maids did not bring extra tea and coffee making facilities each day if used. Also no make up mirror

Beds good size, bathroom very clean and good size.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room airconditioning was a bit to loud for me, I turned it off during the night. WIFI in the room was not the best, but in the reception area it was working fine.

Great hotel located very central in Barcelona. Perfect breakfast, nice room with a good bed and bathroom with bad. The rooftop has a small pool and area to enjoy the sun after a day of work or walking in the city. Friendly personal at reception and breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing! iPhone/wallet.... got stolen from the outdoor coffee area. Catalonia Eixample 1864 hotel does not have cameras outdoor. The hotel manager explains that he respects the privacy of the thiefs, so no need to have cameras outside monitoring the coffee area. Not safe Hotel to visit.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower was great but slow to drain. Also the floor was a little dusty when walking around barefoot in the room. But otherwise spotlessly clean!

We requested a double bed as opposed to two singles and were VERY pleasantly surprised to find the biggest bed I’ve ever seen in our room (certainly not two pushed together!) the Juliet balcony window was lovely and the doors in the room sealed out the noise from the street below exceptionally well. The shower was powerful and easy to use and we had a Free bottle of water in the room on arrival. The hotel is placed in a nice area, not too far from the Main Street where Casa Batillo is situated and the metro stations where close and easy to navigate! Staff were helpful, the terrace on the roof also had a really nice vibe and lovely views of the surrounding rooftops

• Family Room

Reception staff on arrival were very welcoming, including to the kids. The rooftop pool was an excellent bonus, the kids loved it. Excellent location, close to city centre attractions and transport links.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Had to ask to get fresh cups and tea each day. Only window opened to inside area - could be noisy.

Staff was outstanding; room very comfortable; location perfect.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room information on the site stated multiple times that our room included a bath, which it didn't, and this was a little bit disappointing, although this seems to be an issue with the website listing rather than the actual hotel. Considering the breakfast was the continental option I thought it was a little bit pricey at 16 euros, but not having had it I can't really comment on whether it was worth the price or not. The room could have been a little bit bigger too.

The staff were really helpful and accommodating and always keen to make sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our stay. It probably wasn't hot enough for lounging by the pool but the rooftop terrace was fantastic. The waterfall shower was great. The location was fantastic, a short walk away from many of the landmarks and it was easy to find great restaurants and bars very close by.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Unfriendly check in, made a mistake in booking and was treated quite abruptly. Breakfast was not refreshed very often, and not great quality. Room was tired, not 4 star standard.

Very large bed.

Stayed here for the weekend, on the Saturday night we decided to go back to the hotel resturaunt for food. There is around 15 tables in the room. When we got there two of the tables were being used, and the rest had "reserved" on them. We asked could be have a table but was told it was full. We left and got food else where and came back and the tables still werent being used. We were very disapointed with this.

Lovely hotel, rooms modern and comfortable.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

When booking we were sure we had booked for 2 people but on arrival the receptionist said we had only booked for one and we had to pay extra

Rooms large and beds very comfortable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Easily disturbed rest because rooms are separated by thin walls and ceiling. You can hear ppl slamming the doors through the night and people walking above u.

Centrally located and staff is helpful. Staff was able to help with early check in and call for cab in the morning.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Disappointed the pool was not open during our stay.

The staff were brilliant really happy to accommodate you, they even gave us umbrellas when it was raining! Location was perfect about a 15 minute walk to the centre. Cocktails in the bar were lovely and the rooms were very clean and had all you need.

• Double Room with Terrace

They initially weren’t going to let me stay because I could not present my credit card (even though I could show my passport and they cold have verified my credit card). because it was stolen while i was in Barcelona.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

English speaking TV channels were either non-existent or the signal was so poor they were unwatchable. We only had CNN to keep abreast of the news. The room was exceedingly warm at night and when we asked about aircon were told that as it was still winter, the system was set to heat not cool. We set all the controls to 'off' but unfortunately we still had 2 restless, disturbed nights.

Great, central location, just a short walk from Passeig de Gracia where we could get the hop-on, hop-off City Tour bus, the metro or the train to the airport. Along that street there were some good, high end fashion shops to browse in and two of Gaudi's important buildings to tour. Also, there are some good restaurants in the neighbourhood. It's a longer walk from the hotel to the Segrada Familia, but well worth the effort. The hotel's breakfast choices were excellent (breakfast was 17 euros extra per day) although there are also cafes around the corner serving croissants, pastries, etc. Time it right at the hotel and you can get fresh pancakes cooked in front of you by the chef. At check-in, we were kindly upgraded to double rooms with terrace. Sadly, in February, we were unable to make the most of the terraces. WiFi was good and, unusually for Spanish hotels, tea & coffee was available to make in the room - much appreciated.

• Deluxe Double Room with Private Pool

Amazing and helpful staff from the beginning until we left for the airport. My daughter and I stayed in the private pool suite and it was perfect! The hotel is in a good location for walking towards most of the sites. Also, the hotel bar is convenient to grab a drink and something quick and tasty to eat! We would definitely stay here again!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Soundproofing is terrible. I could hear people sneezing and coughing in the next rooms and a baby crying down the corridor.

Comfy bed, good location, nice staff

Only thing was the temperature of the room, was extremely hot during the night.

Beautiful rooms, friendly staff and amazing location. Would 100% stay again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The font desk attitude is very questionable ! The AC did not work and recommended me to keep the door open rather than fix the problem. On another instance, I request a charger and instead of delivering it to the room, they asked me to come down and get it. For $100 a night, I would have expected a better service!

• Executive Double Room

It's been my second stay at Catalonia Eixample 1864 and I don't regret making this decision. Hotel is perfectly located for those who don't really like to be in the middle of touristic zone but prefer to stay close enough to it. Wonderful staff, nice and clean rooms with all the necessary facilities - all this you will find in Catalonia Eixample 1864. One of my favorite hotels in Barcelona for sure!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It would have been good to know building works were happening when we booked as it was a little bit of a disturbance. However this was the only thing I would change.

Really nice atmosphere, friendly staff.

Room is too small for us. Unlucky, a night with "very noisy" people talking over midnight in the corridor or ... complaint to reception but no action!

Good location but not perfect!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

My stay was very good! The hotel is in a really good location, staff are very kind and the rooms very clean! They even made me a fruit platter for my birthday! I can't reccomend enough!

• Double Room with Terrace

First day when we arrived, our shower didn’t work. There was no water from shower until next day when someone fixed it. Someone who works there didn’t take our complain about that water problem so seriously. Rest off the stuff there were nice.

Clean, good location, big terrace and bed was very comfortable

We had to pay a deposit of 200 euros for taking my dog. I have travelled around all Europe with my dog for the past 5 years and stayed in very exclusive hotels and this is the first time I had to pay a deposit in case my pet ruined the hotel. I was not aware of this policy otherwise I would have not stayed The room is oppressive so dark.

The staff and they welcomed my dog

• Double Room with Terrace

The best room in the hotel, we got upgraded too, was the one with the pool on the balcony, but right next door to the room is the service elevator and stock cupboard for cleaners, so noise from elevator all night and cleaners banging and clashing around early in the morning, sounds like they where in the room and the lift groaning and banging all night but there most exoensive room, DO NOT BOOK THIS ROOM

Couldn't fault anything.so glad we stayed here and will definitely recommend.

Fabulous welcome, hotel very clean and comfortable, beautiful breakfast to start your day. Taxis outside hotel and very reasonable.

• Double Room with Terrace

Over biggest lets down was the staff where not very friendly and spoke broken English and very slow to check in with no apologies like (30 mins at desk) and it’s way overpriced

The pool area and terrace even tho out of season is stunning and could be utilised much more! overpriced hotel rooms were nice and clean.

• Deluxe Double Room with Private Pool

No bottle opener in the room, rang reception and we had to go down to the bar to get one. We have then had to go back to the room to open our bottles and bring it back down to the bar. Should have spares for guests especially in the room we stayed in. The air con was not cold at all.

We stayed in the room with the private pool and it was great

• Double Room with Terrace

Excellent hotel, extremely clean with brilliant staff, and the hotel smelt amazing as you walked in reception?! The breakfast was fantastic with everything you could possibly want and more! The rooms were great we had one with a private terrace and the maids came and cleaned and tidied everyday. WiFi was brilliant too, really enjoyed our stay here for our honeymoon!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was very comfortable and the bed and pillows great, but the room was extremely hot and stuffy. We paid extra for a terrace, thank goodness, so we had access to some fresh air, but that meant having to put up with the noise of the traffic! The a/c was practically non existent and definitely needs upgrading ... Could have done with an iron and board, too, although I'm sure these would have been available from housekeeping.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Full professional service. You can reach any place in the town centre within 20 minutes of walk. Kind and professional support. Comfortable rooms and reach selection of options for breakfast. I recommend.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

However, the staff were rude, which I usually don’t care about but they were just blatantly unenthused, unhelpful and all around disengaged. I think they get away with being called 4 star, because they charge less than the other truly luxury 4 star hotels in the neighbourhood. But they offer none of the true amenities or friendliness you would expect from a 4 star.

The location was excellent. Eixample is a nice mix of a residential neighbourhood and being central so you are walking distance to most major tourist sites. The room was also spotless and the bed was very comfortable.

• Executive Double Room

Corridors a bit narrow - not much you can do about that. A selection of different teas but only one of each, so we had to have different teas.

Odd entrance - reception a bit below floor level! But hotel facilities very good and yes, the bed was extra comfy. Excellent bathroom with walk-in shower and two separate water controls. While we were there a lift broke down - it was fixed within a couple of hours (on a Saturday).

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Air con didn't cool room. And could have done with some out door heaters for roof top pool and seating area.

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Always there to help.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room size and the view. Room is fairly small and the there is only 1 window that has a view towards the corridors of the hotel which is not so comfortable knowing that people walking by could see right through your room. Had to keep it closed most of the time. The room also didn't have any bottles of water.

Didn't try their food nor breakfast, however I love the location and the overall design of the hotel. Very friendly staff as well and WiFi is really good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Seemed very expensive. Outer french window was slightly distorted and did not shut properly so traffic noise was louder. On the final day there was a smell of drains. The advertised roof swimming pool was really only a giant gold fish tank!

Front desk staff were very helpful. Bed was comfortable. Pleasant terrace.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room rate was approximately $250/night. It’s pricey for what you get. The room looked like it wasn’t used for awhile so there was dust settled on the desk, nightstand, lamps, and the bedding. The bathroom tiles also had mildew on the grout. So cleanliness is not that great. Comfort was adequate. The bed felt like it was tilted to one side so when my husband lays down, he felt like he was falling to the right side. I think it could be better if they work on comfort and cleanliness without increasing the price.

Location is good, it’s close enough to the highlight places like las ramblas without being in the very busy side of the city. Breakfast choices were adequate, it’s convenient when breakfast is included with the hotel. You can just go down to the restaurant, load up, and go on with your planned adventure. The staff at front desk was also helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Would of been nice to have breakfast included in our price as we payed €570 for 3 nights

Room was spotless and cleaned every day ! Bed was extra comfy too 😊 Staff really friendly and helpful !

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Service at reception can be slow, due to too few people being on duty. Replenishment of complimentary tea, coffee, toiletries in the room can be erratic. The replenishment of dishes at breakfast can be on the slow side, but at least the food is probably freshly cooked.

Very helpful reception staff. Good clean and comfortable room. Breakfast buffet offers a good selection of dishes. Help given with luggage etc. Good leisure facilities.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Some rooms in this hotel need to be updated.

Hotel is located in Eixample area of Barcelona within walking distance to many restaurants and major tourist attractions, e.g., Sagrada Familia. Rooms are adequately sized with comfortable beds and bathrooms. Roof top sundeck was spacious, well appointed with rouge furniture and included a small pool. Hotel exercise room was very well equipped.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no obvious bar area and the rooftop terrace did not sell any drink / snacks and there was a sign up stating that no other food or drink allowed.

The hotel and staff were welcoming. Lovely quiet room with comfy large double bed. The roof top terrace was a perfect place to relax and listen to the city noise whilst looking out to sea. The hotel is in an excellent location for all the city attractions and very easy to get the aerobus to the airport. The cafe in the lobby was reasonably priced for nice coffee. Towels were available for the pool area daily.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Willing to pay for a view upgrade, they put us in Executive Suite at no extra cost. Dining room food was amazing. Staff very accommodating. Waiter gave us a Spanish lesson in cutlery.

• Double Room with Terrace

The smell that occasionally drifted into the room which appeared to be picked up by the air conditioning from a sewer. The maid's solution was to leave the aircon on while we were away from the room. It helped a little but didn't resolve the problem.

The location, the breakfast, the views from the balcony

Not having possibility to have hotel organize transfer to airport, not having possibility to book a taxi from reception at exact time. Staff at the reception not interested in helping guests (except Ana and Vasili), rather talking to each other and ignoring if you are in hurry.

location, breakfast, restaurant, staff at the restaurant and pool

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was efficient, but nothing extraordinary.

The gentleman that checked us in & most of the staff at the front desk were extremely nice, professional and helpful. It's in a great location. The room was small, but decent. Rooftop pool was great.

Dark rooms as the rooms had small windows to a little courtyard

Great Breakfast, very good location, really nice roof top with pool (very small but perfect for young kids) and great views. Very clean rooms!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

What is not to like about Barcelona.

Hotel Staff and facilities were great especially the pool. Approx 15mins walk into the centre but there is good public transport links to the sites. Restaurants and coffee shops are also in close vacinity of the lovely city.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Make sure to keep the key card away from your mobile phone or the key card will stop working. No big hustle though, the receptionist was very helpful in quickly correcting this.

Room clean and comfortable with Everything you need such as fridge and coffee machine. Staff friendly and helpful. Roof-top pool area fantastic, great views, good service and generous opening hours. I didn't include breakfast but there were great cafés nearby; don't miss the bakery/café across the street which was perfect (and highly affordable). Will definately return to this hotel!

• Double Room with Terrace

Pool bar was due to be open till 20.00.We got there at about 19.30 for a relax,swim and a drink before we headed out.We weretold by the lady who was closing the bar that we would have to go to the ground floor bar if we wanted a drink.It was neither 20.00 and i thought actually why can you not bring one up to me as i am the paying guest and the bar was 7 floors down!

The balcony with the room.The reception staff were very helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The shower curtain was moldy and there were mud flakes on the bathroom floor.

The rooftop pool ticked all the right boxes. Location was great - easy to walk everywhere and lots of restaurants close by.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Interior room was rather overlooked by other rooms. Did not cause a great problem as window blinds were closed at night.

Excellent location. High standards. Strong wifi connection in room. Friendly and helpful staff. Really silent for the center of town. Beautiful historic building.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only breakfast available was a buffet and an alternative for grabbing a coffee and something small didn't seem to be an easy option.

Staff were great and very helpful for providing information to international guesrs visiting the city. The staff were very helpful in assisting in the booking of activities and knowledgeable for local restaurants.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The toilets weren't properly clean and bed sheets not changed despite them not being clean.

The location of hotel is very close to all major attractions in city center. The staff are very friendly and helpful

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bathroom needs an extractor fan. The air would get very thick after the shower. The pool water didn't look clean like it does in the photos. It was cloudy. So I didn't use the pool.

The staff were brilliant, very friendly and accommodating. We didn't meet one person who wasn't happy and smiling! The beds in the rooms were so comfortable. I slept so well. It was nice to have a proper duvet on the bed. The location was great. A five minute walk to place de catalunya! Didn't eat in the hotel. Great business centre. Safe luggage storage facility. Taxi rank across the road along with supermarket and pharmacy. Would definitely recommend to a friend!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was a 3 star in a 4 start hotel. No coffee/tea provision, no sleepers, no iron and no water bottles. The pool was a large fish tank!!

breakfast was good and staff friendly.

Rooms were small. The "garden view" rooms don't have a view of a garden. They have a view of the inside of the building. Some had a view of the glass elevator, which meant that people riding the elevator had a view of people in the room. Also the pool is more like a fish tank.

Balcony room had a great view.

The staff could not have been more helpful in every way, from helping us find a doctor when needed to making excellent coffee and serving great food. The pool was a relaxing haven from city life; very chilled and much appreciated. I would stay here again like a shot.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff was so friendly and helpful but the room was very bad my room number was 426 and was smell so bad and they didn't change the sheets I requested to change the towels

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Air con very poor and the electric broke on the first night of our stay meaning we couldnt get ready after travelling all day before we headed out for food and were not offered any form of compensation for this which running a hotel I found a bit poor, however the young man did his best to help us again cannot praise him enough!

Brilliant stay staff where brilliant hotel in perfect location, as specially the young man who helped us to our room with our luggage sadly dont remember his nameand the pool although very small was brilliant to have and loved spending time there.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The computers had very poor keyboards and took very long to simply print up an airline ticket.

I liked that the hotel was newly renovated and clean. Very comfortable and roomy for european standards. And for the price, it was an excellent value. It was also very conveniently located which meant a lot to me. Lots to do in Barcelona!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Really comfortable bedrooms, great plunge pool, lovely roof terrace! Nicer than the photos suggested. We had a lovely stay. Close to Passeig de Gracia station so it's easy to get around, and even out of Barcelona for day trips to the the beaches.

• Double Room with Terrace

Pool bar was often unmanned so you had to wait a while to get a drink which wasn't ideal when it was so hot.

Very comfy bed and brilliant rooftop area. All staff were very friendly, polite and helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The air con in the room was very loud and didn't keep the temperature very low during the night, although it was very hot outside!

The rooftop pool and bar were really lovely!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Couldn't locate the access to the stairs on the third floor. Signs indicating where the stairs are would have been very helpful, especially if there was an emergency.

The breakfast spread was sumptuous.

Browse Catalonia Eixample 1864 traveller photo gallery