2. Spain hotel reviews
  3. Community of Madrid hotel reviews
  4. Madrid hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Catalonia Gran Vía

Reviews of Catalonia Gran Vía This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Gran Vía, 9, Madrid City Center, 28013 Madrid, Spain

#102 of 364 hotels in Madrid

Verified guest reviews from real Bookers

Real Bookers. Real stays. Real opinions.

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: May 18, 2019

Very nice rooms, modern bath & furniture, tiny pool on...
    • Double or Twin Room

No dedicated towels for pool

Very nice rooms, modern bath & furniture, tiny pool on roof top. Very quiet despite very central location. Welcome water in reception area. Very nice staff.

• Reviewed: May 17, 2019

The most amazing hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

The cleaner came early while I still was in the room

Absolutely amazing hotel with the friendliest staff. The rooms are great size with huge beds as well as the views from the room. I would recommend this hotel to everyone

• Reviewed: May 14, 2019

Location was easy access for walking.
    • Premium Double Room

First room space plan of bathroom...shower was so wide that toilet was crunched between sink and shower with toilet paper holder jammed into space. Black and blue marks from stay. I know what happened as I am an interior designer. The shower floors were all precut to size without taking into consideration the overall size of each bathroom. The shower could easily have lost a few inches in width to accommodate space for toilet. The second bathroom we had was great. Secondly, I had wanted to leave my one larger suitcase while I travelled to Granada and Seville for a week. I have done this many times. The room used was a locked room. I would have appreciated more effort by the reception staff to accommodate this request. Initially they were abrupt in saying no and the suggestion for Lock and Be Free was a difficult solution. I would have paid to leave in hotel. Darius, the only staff that seemed to care ended up offering, on his own time, rolling the suitcase to the storage facility. As a senior, I greatly appreciated his help. He was always cheerful and caring. I am traveling for a year, therefore, have more with me for changing climates. Reception areas in hotels usually are the most caring pleasant staff. I was not impressed with some of the staff. The second stay was better.

Location was easy access for walking. he rooms were generally comfortable and well designed. Breakfast was superb!!

Great location. Great value. Would recommend ❤️
    • Double or Twin Room

Room had weak walls and you could hear people and especially the cleaning crew in someone’s room.

Hotel was in a great location and friendly staff and the downstairs restaurant was great to grab a drink before we left for the evening.

• Reviewed: May 11, 2019

It is well located, nice pool on rooftop terrace, modern and...
    • Double or Twin Room

Service and spa Don‘t think the whirlpool on the rooftop (see pictures) is for everyone, it is of a certain room; you have to pay extra for using spa (incl. Sauna that is not mentioned in hotel description); cleaning lady didn‘t bring new towels - used towels from pool were just laid on the heating

It is well located, nice pool on rooftop terrace, modern and big room, nice lobby

• Reviewed: May 11, 2019

Very central location, modern and clean hotel, room and bed...
    • Double or Twin Room

Facilities were not quite as hoped, fitness centre very basic with 3 machines. Roof pool was smaller than looked and lack of space up there. Would expect breakfast included for the price and hotel grade but was $17 extra and not as good as hoped.

Very central location, modern and clean hotel, room and bed comfortable with big shower. Staff were friendly and helpful allowing luggage to be left. Spa facilities nice and relaxing. Nice bar area and big screen for football that was on

• Reviewed: May 8, 2019

The hotel was very clean and modern, staff were very helpful...
    • Double or Twin Room with View

The hotel was very clean and modern, staff were very helpful also they spoke great English which I wasn't sure they would prior to arrival. Location couldn't be more central. Had a real 4 star hotel feel. would definitely go back.

• Reviewed: May 4, 2019

Brand new modern bathroom.
    • Double or Twin Room

I was placed in a wing very far from reception. The corridors and room doors were really old. Rooms are stuffy. The staff did move me to a less stuffy room but the odor was still prevalent. I will not stay at Catalonia hotels again as the bathroom in Catalonia plaza Barcelona had major problems. Gran via metro has major construction right now so rather wait a bit before booking any hotel in the area.

Brand new modern bathroom. Good location.

• Reviewed: May 4, 2019

Great location, can walk to pretty much anywhere, very...
    • Double or Twin Room

Felt the room was perhaps a bit small and lack of facilities for the price (no tea or coffee unless you upgrade?!). All water chargeable too... Also, the room service food was terrible, don’t get it!

Great location, can walk to pretty much anywhere, very central. Staff were lovely and the Bloved cafe is amazing!

• Reviewed: April 29, 2019

Everything.
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything... the staff were so friendly and helpful, the facilities were great and the location excellent. We would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay again.

• Reviewed: April 27, 2019

Best place to stay!
    • Double or Twin Room

We liked Everything. We opted for the breakfast also. It was wonderful. We love to walk and found it easy to see the different sections via walking. Great location for culture, fine food and activities.

• Reviewed: April 25, 2019

Great location right in the centre of Madrid on the Gran Via.
    • Double or Twin Room

Check-in was friendly but very slow and not efficient. They insisted on us paying in advance but didn't take a credit card for extras … as a result, I think they forgot to apply some charges when we were leaving (but it wasn't clear from the extras bill they presented us with). Also, a used room service tray was left on our floor for over 24 hours!

Didn't have breakfast in the hotel (too expensive compared to the great little coffee shops all around this area). Loved the location - couldn't be better. Very comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: April 22, 2019

Well located and clean
    • Double or Twin Room

Somewhat odd selection of toiletries - shampoo, body cleanser but no conditioner and no body lotion. But it had a shoe tongue and some sort of polish or scrubber. Poor reception on the English tv channels. The gym also needs an upgrade - the treadmill was wobbly and one out of two bikes didn’t work. The weights machine only partially worked also.

Well located in the main part of the city centre, close to restaurants, shops etc. Our double room was super clean, bed comfy and shower was great. Plenty of wardrobe space as well and easy to work air con. Most staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: April 21, 2019

Got the superior room with the jacuzzi - the room was as...
    • Superior Double Room with Terrace and Jacuzzi®

Only stayed one night so didn’t notice anything negative

Got the superior room with the jacuzzi - the room was as expected in a good hotel, clean, stylish but nothing spectacular... the terrace with the private jacuzzi was fantastic!

• Reviewed: April 19, 2019

Looks like a classical, but provides modern facilities.
    • Double or Twin Room with View

I tried to find out some problems, but failed.

Looks like a classical, but provides modern facilities. All personnel did their best to provide satisfactory services. The location and breakfast were more than my expectation.

• Reviewed: April 19, 2019

Highly recommended for midrange $. Great hotel with optimum comfort, location and friendly staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

A little nuisance: there was a metal doorstop in the room which we stubbed our toes on more than once!! Also the corridors and stairway were ugly! The restaurant/lobby downstairs only had one tiny bathroom.

Location was convenient and central. The room was well lit and the shower was very nice. Each room came with a smart phone to use during our stay which helped us find our way with Maps etc. Lighting in room and bathroom was very good. The private room terrace with a lounge chair and little bistro set was very convenient. We could easily control the AC and heating in our room. The towel heater was very helpful when we washed socks and had to dry them quickly!! Hairdryer was full size and better than most in rooms.

• Reviewed: April 18, 2019

Convenience and comfortable
    • Double or Twin Room

The standard double room don't have kettle for hot water.

Location is excellent almost close to everything. sta are friendly and helpful, room was clean.

• Reviewed: April 17, 2019

Worst experience in Spain, rude staff and dirty rooms
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff are the worst I've experienced in a long time. Check-in was a desaster and the guy called David insisted on getting the VAT no without using the English word or saying what it is, when I showed the number he said he doesn't speak my mother tongue and refused to help me. Afterwards he gave me on purpose a downgrade (on my receipt I got another room number!) and I got the worst and loudest room in a floor under construction, even though I asked for a quiet room already when booking. It was getting even worse: the room was FULL OF HAIR, on the bed linen, pillow, the shower and bathroom full of hair, I called the reception, someone came and checked it and left. That was at 10:00 pm at night, and NOTHING happened, I waited for 40min if I get new sheets, if someone would clean the bathroom or if I get another room and NOTHING. So I had to asked the next morning for a new room - again, I received another loud room towards the street even though they had many other rooms. In both rooms the wollen blakets underneath the bed linen were disgustingly dirty and again long hair everywhere... Even though I gave my company address the day before and asked to have the invoice ready at check-out, early in the next morning nothing was ready, the guy started to put the address in, made mistakes, didn't know how to change it in the system and it took 15min to receive a bill while I was in a hurry to get to the airport! I do not recommend this hotel to anyone!

the location is in the city center - though directly at a very loud, big street.

• Reviewed: April 13, 2019

Pleasant but over priced
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was basic hotel room - no tea/ coffee facilities. One chair . No seating area( or seats to relax in Bar basic lounge area basic Roof top pool small

View of grand via

• Reviewed: April 13, 2019

• Double or Twin Room

The restaurant / bar in the hotel was lovely but pricey.

The hotel was in the perfect location on the main Gran Vía street meaning shops, restaurants & bars could easily be found within a short distance. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was the best I’ve had!

• Reviewed: April 11, 2019

Great stay, friendly staff and the location 100 %.
    • Double or Twin Room

One of the elevators had a bad smell. I think it was something with the new wallpaper and the glue that was off. Much of the hotel were under renovations so the corridors and the doors at some of the floors didn´t look as nice as all the rooms that were great.

The location of the hotel was great. The showers were fantastic and the cleaning was very good. The view from the hotel was also very good.

• Reviewed: April 9, 2019

Let me down
    • Premium Double Room

Not a nice place.The receptionists are not doing much and are not there to help you, very slow. The spa at the hotel was not available for the WHOLE trip as they were painting the walls!! Nowhere was it mentioned obviously.. manager not available..the rooms itself are ok, breakfast is ok, nothing exceptional compared to other hotels.

• Reviewed: April 2, 2019

will recommend
    • Double or Twin Room

spacious room and bath room is top clear and new .

breakfast : did not hv location perfect to Sol and shopping area , also not far from train station liked most the cleanest and perfect hospitality :)

• Reviewed: March 31, 2019

The staff is dynamic and easy-going
    • Double or Twin Room

The toiletries is incomplete and they didn’t provide slippers. If we needed that, we need to spend more money per night. I didn’t expect that from a four star hotel at all.

The staff is dynamic and easy-going

• Reviewed: March 30, 2019

Catalonia Gran Via
    • Double or Twin Room

Were kindly upgraded to a superior room as this holiday was a birthday present so my Sister had emailed ahead. Shame we got home later that night to find ants coming out of the bathroom door frame. Cannot fault the hotel staff though. It was mentioned and our room was swapped and given a junior suite at no extra cost. Luggage was transferred over for us whilst we were out so not much hassle at all.

Junior suite was lovely but room very warm. Unable to open windows!

• Reviewed: March 30, 2019

Deceitful, thieving with a mix of toilet stench
    • Double or Twin Room

This hotel has lots to offer, all starting with deceitful staff (straight up liars), thieving cleaning personal and constant toilet stench in one of the elevators. We started off with upgrading from a regular room (was way to small), we upgraded to one of their “top class” room on the 7th floor (with jacuzzi, guest room and “balcony”). David who checked us in, assured us that especially with the birthday which we had upcoming, “special attentiveness and a bottle of champagne” was guaranteed in upgraded room. What we got was slightly different; starting with the small things; excuses and frankly put fake sorry-speeches, unable to find a vase for flowers, breakfast room-service on the birthday was accompanied with incomplete deliveries, more excuses and unnecessary phone calls and more delays (no sense what so ever of prudence), then on the birthday evening instead of the promised bottle of champagne we were surprised with a large bottle of water (otherwise nothing was complementary, not even water). Over to the larger and grotesque things; from our room disappeared a silk nightgown and last but not the least when confronted the concierge regarding the broken promises and the ill experiences we had to simply settle with yet more callous / numb-faced excuses.

• Reviewed: March 29, 2019

Overpriced and rude staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was not clean. Our sheets were not changed having asked twice. Staff were rude and defensive when any issue was brought to them. Hotel was loud. Facilities were poor and not as they looked in the photos. Would not recommend this hotel. Overpriced.

The only positive was the location.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2019

Rooms were large and beautiful with balcony overlooking...
    • Double or Twin Room with View

Construction on upper floors. Cocktails at the bar were packaged mixes versus craft made. We couldn't finish our drinks as they were just super sweet, unbalanced and gross. The DJ was playing really generic top 40 music in the lounge.

Rooms were large and beautiful with balcony overlooking Grande Via. Beds extremely comfortable. Staff always helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: March 25, 2019

The hotel is having renovations completed and the floor we...
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is having renovations completed and the floor we got placed on was very dusty with builders around during the day. There was also no carpet down which made it noisy when people walked the corridors.

• Reviewed: March 23, 2019

Amazing hotel
    • Suite Junior with Terrace and Jacuzzi

There was alot of static on the terrace we kept getting shocked out there

Everything apart from that it was so lovely. The jacuzzi was our favourite part well worth the extra. We loved the location of the hotel too very central to everything and very accessible.

• Reviewed: March 23, 2019

Location was amazing!
    • Double or Twin Room

Location was amazing!! Madrid is an amazing city and the hotel could not be in a better spot. Everything was extremely clean, and staff very helpful.

• Reviewed: March 20, 2019

An excellent stay we would definitely recommend this hotel

Everything was great. No complaints

The room was very clean. The staff were very friendly. It was quite a luxurious hotel in a great location. The staff also spoke excellent English which was very helpful for us.

• Reviewed: March 20, 2019

The room balcony, location and friendliness of the staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

No coffee machine, no slippers, no bathroom robe. If we needed that, we need to spend more money per night. I didn’t except that from a four star hotel at all.

The room balcony, location and friendliness of the staff.

• Reviewed: March 19, 2019

Perfect central location for weekend break
    • Double or Twin Room

View from the balcony at the back rooms was directly into a big office block and noisy recycling bins.

Massive bed in a lovely modern room. Amazing and clean shower.

• Reviewed: March 18, 2019

The location was perfect.

No coffee making facilities in the room, charged for eating the biscuits in the room and the gym wasn’t very well equipped,

The location was perfect. The room was very clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: March 16, 2019

Staff are great
    • Double or Twin Room

The time I was staying there were lots of groups who were very noisy I couldn’t sleep well for the first two nights They should work more in the sound proofing and isolation

Staff are great Location is great

• Reviewed: March 16, 2019

Location is great.
    • Double or Twin Room

It’d be great to have an electric kettle in the room

Location is great. Friendly staff. Bathroom is new and modern. Bed was comfortable. They let us in way before check in time.

• Reviewed: March 11, 2019

Really lovely stay and central
    • Double or Twin Room

The size of the gym, the fact you have to pay to use spa facilities if your only in a basic room, the beds wasn’t really comfy.

I loved the hotel, the smell when you walk in the reception is amazing! Rooms are clean

• Reviewed: March 11, 2019

Fab location. Fab hotel. Exceptional value. Highly reccomend.
    • Double or Twin Room

The pool was freezing. Too cold to swim in. Pictures of the roof top was misleading. It appeared that there was a hotube on the rooftop. I had contacted the hotel numerous times through booking.com and had no response.

I really enjoyed my stay in the hotel. EXCELLENT location. Fab interior. Great staff. Comfortable beds. Very clean.

• Reviewed: March 9, 2019

Great location;

Closest parking lot is two blocks away and very expensive. The hotel doesn’t have even a spot where you can stop to load or unload the car or drop off your family which in a rainy day is really really terrible and the staff is not helpful about that at all. If you are using a car to visit the city this is definitely NOT your choice of a hotel.

Great location; room was renovated, comfortable and clean as expected for the price.

• Reviewed: March 6, 2019

Not trusted Hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

i booked 2 rooms ( 1 suit & 1 room ) they surprised me in the day i will arrive Madrid that they cancel my suit booking which i booked before 3 weeks and the reason is i have to update my cridet , i called the hotel and told them my credit is working because i use it everyday they told me to call booking.com , i called booking but they didn't help .. the question mark is : if the reason was my credit , why they didn't cancel my other room booking .. i know that they cancel my suit booking because they want to sell it for higher price .. i will never get back to this hotel again and i will never recommend it to friends

Location only

• Reviewed: March 3, 2019

Would definitely come back!
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was very gloomy. No view. Although they offered to upgrade for a charge.

Location is perfect. At a walking distance from all Madrid's sight seeing. Rooms are very comfortable and clean. People on reception very friendly.

• Reviewed: February 26, 2019

Javier was such a hard worker and very efficient at his job.
    • Double or Twin Room

When we tried to store our bags because we were too early to check in, the woman behind the counter said to find the bell boy and then took the next customer.,I was dismissed and had to track him down the hallway and wait until he came back. Javier, when I spoke with him, was great and helped right away.

Javier was such a hard worker and very efficient at his job.

• Reviewed: February 22, 2019

great location but ultimately not worth the money.
    • Double or Twin Room

Upon booking this hotel my search criteria was for a hotel with a pool. This search only brought me a handful of hotels in Madrid including the Grand Via. The description on both booking and if you google the hotel states this has an outside HEATED pool and an indoor hot tub. The hot tub is stated as a facility includes and NOT an extra charge. Upon attempting to use the pool we quickly discovered it is not in fact heated as stated and as it is on the roof (open air) we could not use it un heated. We then attempted to use the hot tub but were told this was an additional 20 euro charge. We questioned this with reception staff, even providing photographic evidence of the description used on the website but they refused to admit it was incorrect and told us we would have to pay. The staff were very defensive about this and ultimately rude. We did not end up using either facility which was unacceptable to us when this had been the main reason we booked this hotel and at over £115 a night, without these facilities included (AS STATED) it was not worth this price.

The hotel is modern and the bar area especially is lovely. The room was clean and well presented. Good location for several points of interest in Madrid. One member of bar staff with short brown hair was the saving grace of the all the staff we encountered. She was lovely, kind and helpful and a credit to the hotel.

• Reviewed: February 18, 2019

Bring your passport!!

I felt like David on reception was being awkward and judging me as not being good enough for his hotel. He was going to make my daughter’s friend travel back on the metro to get her passport. She is 17 and it was ten o’ clock at night. He was not very welcoming and gave us a negative feeling about the hotel. I was so disappointed .

Location was absolutely fabulous. Couldn’t ask for better. A great base to visit all the wonderful sights in Madrid.

• Reviewed: February 17, 2019

I liked the location and the spacious room
    • Double or Twin Room

There was no body who would help us with he luggage and show us to our room like the usual 4 stars room. We managed as we were 2 people. However for a family this service is really valuable The pillow were really hard (bot in thsi hotel only but through our stay in spain’s 4 stars hotel) i recommend to get the pillow out of it’s leather case for better pillow option I choose this hotel because my friend told me about a free churros they gave. Maybe because it was in winter they weren’t serving them bu that’s fine

I liked the location and the spacious room

• Reviewed: February 12, 2019

Good location but not worth the money.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Spa Access

Paid extra for spa access but you cannot use it if the person in charge is giving a massage. Also the took money for the first night from my credit card 10 days before arrival even though I could cancel 2 days before arrival for free.

Room had a balcony.

• Reviewed: February 10, 2019

The Hotel is very central and glamorous, designed in an...
    • Double or Twin Room

The spa not included in the deal.

The Hotel is very central and glamorous, designed in an international style. Room very spacious and the shower in the bathroom was amazing. We just stayed one night as we went for a very short trip but we would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: February 4, 2019

Lovely
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything was great, we had a lovely room overlooking Grand Via. We were in Madrid to celebrate my partners birthday and see Cirque De Soleil. The house maid who cleaned our room on that day, saw her birthday card on the side and when we got back that evening, found she had left birthday greetings too, a card and some chocolate. Thank you Emely, sorry you weren't working the following day of our departure as we wanted to thank you personally.

• Reviewed: May 24, 2019

Perfect
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff so helpful lovely atmosphere at hotel. Great food and location.

• Reviewed: May 24, 2019

Excellent location.

Nothing. Everything was perfect

Excellent location. Excellent staff. Completely beautiful

• Reviewed: May 23, 2019

Very overpriced!

Very overpriced!

• Reviewed: May 23, 2019

Location was amazing, and the food very good!

Location was amazing, and the food very good!

• Reviewed: May 20, 2019

Location, rooms, bar, breakfast choices
    • Double or Twin Room

Need a bit more space between the breakfast tables!

Location, rooms, bar, breakfast choices

• Reviewed: May 16, 2019

Excellent hotel on an excellent location in the center of...
    • Double or Twin Room

Excellent hotel on an excellent location in the center of Madrid. The staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: May 15, 2019

Amazing staff and amazing location

Nothing was perfect

Amazing staff and amazing location

• Reviewed: May 13, 2019

Excellent, many thanks
    • Double or Twin Room

Excellent staff, very friendly, helpful and charming.

• Reviewed: May 13, 2019

Parking

• Reviewed: May 12, 2019

Better chairs would be nice at the pool.
    • Double or Twin Room

Better chairs would be nice at the pool. They were uncomfortable and the set up made it hard for multiple people to enjoy it

• Reviewed: May 12, 2019

Room

Noise from outside

Room Breakfast

Gentillesse du personnel

• Reviewed: May 10, 2019

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Spa Access

Superior room had an old bath tub rather than walk in shower. Room key had to be reset a couple of times.

• Reviewed: May 9, 2019

Couldn’t recommend enough!

Super friendly staff Amazing location Has everything you need

• Reviewed: May 7, 2019

Our Stay was fabulous and so enjoyable. The staff were also very friendly and helpful .

no dislikes.

The room was so comfy and the air conditioning was great. The bed was also comfy and a lovely shower!

• Reviewed: May 7, 2019

Everything else
    • Double or Twin Room

Room at back of hotel was very noisy and office block looking in your window

Everything else

It's too small for big people

It's too small for big people

Atention

Atention

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was uncomfortable and the bathroom is old.

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Spa Access

Bathroom was old and needed updating.

• Reviewed: May 3, 2019

• Double or Twin Room

Fitness Facilities were inadequate.

• Reviewed: May 2, 2019

• Double or Twin Room

The communication quite slow.

• Reviewed: May 1, 2019

Location , staff shower

Location , staff shower

• Reviewed: May 1, 2019

Nice quiet hotel.

Bathroom was a little dated.

Nice quiet hotel. Large rooms. Convenient location. Worth upgrading to a superior room.

• Reviewed: April 26, 2019

Friendly service and fab location.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Spa Access

Spa was small and communal area was also small.

Friendly service and fab location.

• Reviewed: April 26, 2019

Unproblematic check in/out. I got what I've expected for the money, can recommend it.
    • Double or Twin Room

The speed of WLAN could be a little better.

Excellent location, almost all, for me relevant, points were within walking distance. Nice clean rooms

We Price Match