Reviews of Sercotel Gran Hotel Conde Duque 4 stars

Plaza del Conde Valle Suchil, 5, Chamberí, 28015 Madrid, Spain

#184 of 349 hotels in Madrid

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

The position in madrid was very good.
    • Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

The safe didn't work. We value the safe for our needs . We informed staff. They didn't fix it. Even more annoying. The shower was difficult to get a good temperature. It was dangerously hot. Someone will get severely burned sooner or later. After 10 minutes we got an acceptable temperature but it was hard work. Finally when we arrived back at night the room was very hot. We turned the thermostat right down which reduced it a bit. But it was much too hot over night and had a bad night sleep with no covers on me. Tired in the morning Sleep, shower and safety is what i book a hotel for. Awful. Overpriced. There was no tea or coffee facilities in the room. I would have liked this. Particularly after a bad night. Not impressed that we informed staff of the safebroken but nothing was done.

The position in madrid was very good. The outside looks smart. The decor in the hotel foyer was smart. The room was smart. The bathroom was smart but the shower in tje bath was basic.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

We like very much this hotel and will come back

The bed was a little too soft for us. There is a coffee machine in the room which is great but we had to ask daily for refills of capsules and milk. Complimentary water only twice during our 11 nights stay! Shower cap only once!! SMALL THINGS THAT MAKE THE DIFFERENCE

Classic hotel, very nice staff , nice atmosphere . Located in a nice square

Nice and pleasent. I'll come again soon and recommend the hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Friendly staff, I did like very much the bathroom (very complet), spacious room, comfortable bed, breakfast buffet with lots of choices and excellent coffee. Central but very calm place.

Nice hotel, near the San Bernardo metro station (1 min.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nice hotel, near the San Bernardo metro station (1 min. walk). The pictures are a little bit more "commercial" than the real place but, overall, the hotel is OK. Almost "4 stars" from our point of view. The breakfast is, indeed, perfect!.

Great location and nice facilities

They have strict policies regarding overnight guests so my friend was not able to stay with me when he had an emergency.

Great location at the heart of Madrid at a walking distance to many intersting spots, 2 min away from metro station. Nice staff, good breakfast, you can choose small or bigger rooms but both are quite comfortable equipped with a fridge, desk and chair. You can also use a gym located accross the street, they provide water and a towel for this.

The hotel is nice - very friendly staff, well equipped rooms...
    • Double Room with Street View

Only slight negative was the breakfast - it has all the basics, but it wasn't on par with the level from other 4-star hotels.

The hotel is nice - very friendly staff, well equipped rooms, comfortable beds and a good location. We could walk anywhere from the hotel and the metro was close by as well. Hotel is in front of a lovely square with a big playground for kids surrounded by trees and shade - it was great for our family summertime visit.

Location was good, near a pretty cool part of town.
    • Double or Twin Room

It looked grander in the photos and felt slightly dated when’s we arrived but was still nice. The bath/ shower was funeral but a free standing shower would have been nice. That’s definitely being picky though.

Location was good, near a pretty cool part of town. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was fine.

Good location, clean, and price/value ratio, but they tried to overcharge me for the minibar.

• The room was very small. • The Internet connection was very slow and spotty. • They tried to overcharge me. When I was checking out I was presented a bill reporting 2 items from the minibar. When I enquired as to what I consumed, the receptionist immediately discarded the bill and printed a new one with those items removed. This last point alone ruined the impression left by an otherwise pleasant stay.

Good location, clean, and good price/value ratio. Breakfast was nice with a wide selection of food.

The real Madrid!

The room was perfect! So comfortable. I loved it. Had a bubble bath every day! And the location was in a more residential neighbourhood with a beautiful park infront of the hotel - made the stay much more authentic than staying in more traditional touristy areas!

THe hotel is getting old, bathrooms needs to be renewed.
    • Double or Twin Room

Wifi is terrible, totally out at 23:00 when arriving, and terribly slow in th emorning in the rooms, Ok at the entrance.

THe hotel is getting old, bathrooms needs to be renewed. bu the room is largelly OK.

Nice Weekend
    • Double or Twin Room

We can hear at night people who come back late and can be noisy. Maybe put a sign to others to keep quiet and respect others who are sleeping.

The staff is very nice and always helpful for pretty much everything. They speak the main languages: Spanish, French and English, maybe more but I don't know them. The area is quiet at night. Close to Malasana (popular area). I recommend this hotel.

Good location, near the Metro station.
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is expensive at 17 euros. The gave us an option of pre-reservation at 11.50 euros but only if we took it every day of the stay. As we had to leave early on the last day, we had to pay the full price. The TV set didn't work but we asked for repair and, after some time, they solved the problem with the power source.

Good location, near the Metro station. Very large and confortable single beds.

Hotel did not meet our expectations
    • Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Pet policy to be reviewed or the information on booking.com to be changed. We were travelling with a cat and have booked the hotel only for one night. Upon check-in we were told that we can not leave a cat in the room alone even for three hours due to an internal policy says that pets are not allowed in the room without the owner. Booking.com does not say anything about it. We were told that we must take the cat with us If we are going out. After a long and unpleasant agument with front desk we were allowed to check in. However, the mood and hotel impession were distroyed. Would be nice If hotel employees will be more flexible and service minded.

Poor customer service
    • Double or Twin Room

Concierge staff (Laura) has an attitude and is down right rude. Totally unhelpful. Reception staff are not sure of standard operating procedures (SOPs).

Near to Metro station

never again in that hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Extremely rude personnel at the reception. At the check-out, she started shouting at me and didn't even apologise when I told her not to shout at customers. Not to mention that she freely and frequently picks up the phone and does the deals there while customers await their turn so that she can attend to their needs. Besides that, the temperature in the room is difficult to regulate and the bathroom needs immediate renovation. No kettle in the room to make coffee/tea.

Hi-speed internet.

Comfortable gaff

I was in an inward facing room, the view into the centre wasn't that nice. But it is what it is.

Excellent hotel. The staff are all extremely nice and friendly. The chamber staff are exceptional, and take a lot of attention to the rooms. Inside the rooms are great, the curtains completely black out the room that helps so much with getting a good nights sleep. Nice tough with the sweets in reception. 👌

Beautiful place with great cost-to-value
    • Double Room with Street View

Rooms aren't soundproof, and there were construction works in the early morning. View on a rusty rooftop in the backyard Cleanness was okay but still room for improvement

Beautiful interior with a royal but classic touch, very friendly staff, spacious rooms, comfortable beds

Amazing!
    • Double or Twin Room

We loved everything about the Hotel! Especially the stuff, Manuel at the front desk was amazing, always worry about us being well and whiling to give a helping hand without even being asked. Manuel made our visit to your hotel a much better experience. Gracias Manuel! You are Amazing!

Availability of single rooms

The hotel was a little dated, the first room I was given smelt of smoke although on a non smoking floor (although it was changed the staff were quite abrupt). The location isn't great - it fronts onto a shabby square and is a fair way from the mains sights and bars.

Availability of single rooms

Classical hotel with good location
    • Double or Twin Room

No information at check in about hotel (breakfast, bar..)...low wifi...no kettle available...rooms need some refreshment...old and uncomfortable mattress...poor soundproofing.

Very good location ( you can easily walk to gran via and puerta del sol)...clean room...well done housekeeping everyday

Great location, clean rooms, polite staff and great value for money!
    • Double or Twin Room

Perfect location. 15 minutes walk from the central street. Small park infront of the hotel and a supermarket just across the street. Rooms are clean, staff is friendly and helpful. Late check out also available.

Excellent historic design and very comfortable room, great service.

The windows opened onto a fairly narrow lightwell that didn't let in much sunlight or allow much air flow. This is inherent in the design of the building, so not something that the management could change, but it might be worth requesting a room facing the street if you'd like sunlight. The location is also a fair distance from most of the attractions and the old part of the city, though it's very close to the metro and its neighbourhood is quite pleasant.

This is a classic 'Gran Hotel' with lots of great period features. I particularly liked the design of the lobby with its little library.

Great location in center of Madrid which is close to the Metro and Atocha Train Station.

Liked everything.

We stayed here just one night, but everything about our room was just right. The lobby was very nice with several comfortable seating areas. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was delicious.

Don't hesitate to book it's a great hotel, but just be aware of these possible irritations.
    • Double or Twin Room

Beautiful dining room, attractive menu but it's closed for dining - yes that's what I said. Only open for breakfast. Invoice seeking payment put under room door asking for payment up to that day. This was, in my opinion, completely unnecessary. We were asked to go to reception to pay the outstanding amount that day. This seemed stupid as we were checking out the next morning. The reception staff on duty that morning told us it was their hotel company policy to issue an invoice once a certain amount was reached irrespective of when that happened during your stay. Later we spoke with a receptionist later in the day who seemed as bemused as us and said to just pay the full amount next day on checking out. We followed that advice, still didn't stop another invoice being left outside our door next morning asking for the whole amount agreed at the time of the booking! We cleared the outstanding amount in full. Get this sorted please, it took the shine of a fantastic holiday, location and staff.

a nice hotel but the simple thing of the charger really put me of as they propbably have a business

i usually dont review places but two things kind of put me of one was i forgot my apple charger my fault but i thought they would have a charger behind the reception but i was surprised when i asked they did noy and the guy did not seem over helpful it just surprised me that a hotel like that would not have a simple spare charger secondly the way at breakfast there was about 30 fried eggs in a dish all on top of each other looked a bit sickly then when i was checking out i was asked to pay for breakfast which i thought i had paid for when i booked with you please could you check it for me

air conditioning

Nice Staff. Close enough from town. Very close to the Metro station.
    • Double or Twin Room

Did not try the breakfast. Enjoyed every moment at the hotel, staff very friendly. Location was fine, about 10/15 from city center, although you can find shops around, restaurants and bars. There is a pizza/pasta place at the same street and the price is unbelievable, very cheap. Felt like home.

Overall great hotel, but be careful
    • Double or Twin Room

I had booked a single room with Booking.com for 9 days, but, when I had to REDUCE the stay by two days due to work, the system told me that it is no longer available. How can that be?! Was this a system error (customer service never responded), or had the hotel given away my room and wanted to upgrade me? Then the upgrade should be free. I did indeed receive a superior double room, but not for the equivalent daily rate. -- In addition, I had a severe accident. I wanted to go to the bathroom, and, when moving out of bed, I stumbled and fell to the ground, banging my head on the bedside table. The problem was that the hotel had covered the surface with a glass plate with sharp edges, especially in the corners. Moreover, the glass was a few millimetres bigger than the wooden surface. As a consequence, I cut my forehead from the eyebrow to the hairline, ca. 4 cm. All glass plates, including the unfixed one on the round table between chairs, were removed as a consequence. The acting director was friendly but seemed unwilling to recognise that this was a serious problem the hotel needs to address ("We have honestly never received a comment in this respect"). There is always a first time; it is irresponsible to have unframed sharp glass plates, of which I have photos, next to the bed. I would have welcomed a formal word of sorrow or apology, which could have also expressed itself in the final bill.

This is a very good hotel, about five metro stops from the centre and in a quiet location. The room rate was very reasonable. Most reception staff is extremely friendly, especially Marcelo who helped wherever possible, greeted guests by their name, tried to solve any problem. Cleaners were also very helpful, and they do excellent work; the rooms are spotless. All this would make me return to this hotel.

Good location, but some investments are necesary to improve the quality/price ratio.
    • Double or Twin Room

We had a room to the second floor, which might be poorly equipped for a four stars hotel: tv screen very small, poorely isolated and noisy (could easily hear the conversations from the other rooms, and the cleaning lady starting the job in the morning), no slippers offered. We did not take any meal in the hotel.

The hotel is well located, linked by metro with the main points of the city. Rooms are clean.

Staff were very pleasant & helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff were very pleasant & helpful. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant & again the member of staff who served us was very helpful. Overall we had a lovely comfortable stay & would certainly not hesitate staying there again.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

The location had a small park across the street.
    • Double or Twin Room

They said they had not been paid by you and made me and my friend pay again. Now we are required to come up with bank statements and electronically forward same showing we paid again. It makes me very reluctant to use your service again.

The location had a small park across the street.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Beautiful place to stay
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff were eager to assist and very helpful. The hotel was very quiet, there is a beautiful park as you leave the hotel. El Corte Ingles shopping center is in walking distance along with public transportation. The metro is very reasonable and in proximity to the hotel; however, you can walk to Plaza de Espana which is the downtown Madrid where you have many cool shops and restaurants.

Nice but noisy
    • Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning and very poor sound proofing. I asked for a quiet room , but was given one with hardly any sound proofing from the next room.

Location, bar staff

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Well located, comfortable, good-value hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Would have liked a room facility to make hot water with hotel-provided sachets of tea/coffee/milk/sugar

Excellent breakfast. Close to metro for museums etc.

Good hotel, too expensive given the service.
    • Double or Twin Room

We reserved a double room but it wasn't available, so they gave us a room with twin beds and they told us we could move them close to each other. We had to do it ourselves.

The hotel was very clean and comfortable.

Good price: Value for money!
    • Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

1- Staff All the time, there was an old man at reception who was really improper person for this job, really bad tempered, impatient and reluctant (do not like) to answer the questions! An old man at restaurant who was very rude, making lots of noise and...really we liked to leave restaurant due to his behavior, although the breakfast was excellent 2- The map which has been offered to us at reception was very bad, no enough info. and help at hotel 3- Small room for three persons 4-Bad smell of glasses for welcoming water at lobby desk!

Excellent breakfast renovated hotel Very Clean Nice lobby and bar

Excellent hotel, well located

Hotel was fine, too many places closed for Easter Bank holiday in Madrid

Nice hotel, as in town, not tried breakfast, but facilities good and friendly staff, close to town, would definitely return

Great location but poor value for money

The beds were very small, and as a single was giving two single beds which didn't make sense. There was no coffee maker or water kettle in the room and no soap in the bathroom, just many shampoos. The air conditioner did not work and I could hear a dog on my floor. Also, the gym facilities were not in the hotel which I think needs to be clarified, its external to the hotel and also the hours were not accommodating.

I liked the location, staff was overall friendly but at times not at the reception. I believe they were understaffed.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

Never Let's Us Down

The breakfast, though generous, is way overpriced. They want somewhere between 17-20 euros, which is ridiculous.

It's a great place. We have been there many times over the last 30 years. The lobby is well decorated, as are the rooms. The staff is friendly and helpful. It's also a very convenient location near two metro stops. There are always taxis waiting in front. There is a convenience store across the street and several cafes down the block. The bar makes a fabulous gin/tonic.

Stylish hotel in a great location
    • Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately albeit you don't hear any noise from outside, you can hear the neighbors next room very well (TV they watch, when they speak, cough, etc.). It was not great for intimacy. The matress of the bed was not good either, they should change it.

Classic hotel in the perfect location for visiting. Also close to an amazing park "parque del oueste" for those who love running. The gym is really great and the staff very nice.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

A comfortable vacation near the "heart" of Madrid.
    • Double or Twin Room

The only issue with my room was that the dust on the nightstand. It was there even though the housekeeping went in the room every day.

I liked the fact that the hotel staff was very nice and willing to help you. The hotel room was very comfortable. The hotel is position in good area, very close to the subway allowing me to get to various places within Madrid very fast.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

A luxus hotel with a kind and professional staff

The breakfast was a bit disappointing for the price I paid, i.e 17 euros. The guests slapt their room doors that were not equipped with mechanical arms. The walls inbetween the rooms were not insulated for noise.

I had booked a single room and very kindly I was offered a double room for the same price. Unfortunately, my room neighbours were exceedingly noisy, especially a dreadful, arrogant and uneducated woman and her kid that kept on pushing a chair on the flooring as a game for half an hour. At the reception, I was courteously proposed to get a new room at a much upper floor, far from those disturbing people. The staff was professional, efficient and helpful. In addition, I appreciated the cleanliness and the decoration of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Nice stay in Madrid

Nothing in particular

Nice hotel, lobby is very nice. Rooms sizes are ok and comfortable. WiFi really fast. I did not have chance to try the gym that is near the hotel but it is supposed to be really good.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

The hotel is near the metro and not far to walk from the...

The room is very noisy and there was no closet for clothes. Breakfast is very expensive but there is a cafe/bakery at the street corner 5 min away that serves excellent breakfast for reasanable price.

The hotel is near the metro and not far to walk from the city centre. Staff is friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Classy and charming
    • Double or Twin Room

Perhaps some of the facilities could do with some renovation - although that is also part of its charm.

This is a beautiful and charming old school hotel - the staff were really kind, particularly the older gentleman at reception, the location is great (walking distance to Fuencarral, Sol, etc) yet the rooms were quiet and comfortable. Great value for money.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Excellent value
    • Double or Twin Room

Older style facilities including shower in bath. A little high and awkward to access around screen.

Location in a quieter area of Madrid but this was fine as walking access easy to everything Water pressure great ! Comfortable bed and excellent range of bathroom toiletries etc Staff helpful

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Not a real 4 stars
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff and service not up to 4* standards. Air conditioning not working properly (lack of cold air): I called the reception, a man shows up and promised to call me back in 10min to find a solution. No one ever called back. When the day after I informed the reception, they did absolutely nothing about it, just told me that the whole building does not have cold air conditioning at the moment. Why the man that came to my room was not aware of it? One morning there was no hot water. Again, I informed the reception during check out but nothing was done or said to make up for the issue. Honestly, I would have expected a different customer service in a four stars hotel. Also, the walls are very thin and conversations from other rooms can be heard clearly. Overall the rooms would need a modernization.

Location is convenient, very central, right next to San Bernardo metro station. The bed was large and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Lovely central hotel

All was perfect

Very comfortable, very clean and spacious rooms Excellent location, near to metro and local shops plus many coffee bars and areas to eat. Our room overlooked a play area for children so no noisy traffic ... We thought the hotel was excellent and would recommend highly Staff very friendly and welcoming

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Comfortable rooms, friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room

Comfortable, clean rooms. Staff were very helpful and nice, even as me and my friend stormed out in the morning of departure 30 minutes before our train, they were patient and fast in helping us with a fast check out process. Gracias!

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Good location in terms of access to Metro and areas of...
    • Double or Twin Room

No air conditioning; decor is a bit dated; sound insulation of rooms is poor.

Good location in terms of access to Metro and areas of interest including Sol, Opera and Salamanca.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

Excellent city break

View from window

Quality of hotel and staff

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Very poor wifi

Very poor wifi

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Satisfied
    • Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was not clean n lift position was not comfortable . Euro 166 without breakfast was to me costly

Staff n location is good

Great stay

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Location Quietness

Well appointed rooms
    • Double or Twin Room

Great ambience. Very smart hotel, centrally located on safe area close to metro and bus.

Well appointed rooms

Comfortable, clean, big rooms, location

Comfortable, clean, big rooms, location

great location, near the metro

expensive breakfast 17euro per day

great location, near the metro

Excellent location.

Excellent location.

Charming and Elegant, very pleasant stay. Will definitely come back!
    • Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Restaurant staff a bit rude

Classic and charming

Amazing value for money in a welcoming, spotless space.
    • Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

The bed and choice of pillows were amazing. The staff genuinely nice and helpful. Lovely atmosphere.

Nice ambiance.

One of the staff is not friendly.

Nice ambiance... Good food(variety). Some staff are accommodating.

the bed was very comfortable, room was quite nice and wide
    • Double or Twin Room

nothing particular but a kettle for hot water could be nice

the bed was very comfortable, room was quite nice and wide

Very nice and helpful stuff :)

Very nice and helpful stuff :)

Bed was very soft and the the quilt cover can not be used

Bed was very soft and the the quilt cover can not be used

Great place to stay for business or leisure

There was no tea kettle in my room.

Great location. Good breakfast. Very nice room.

The administrator is not a very friendly person.
    • Double or Twin Room

The administrator is not a very friendly person. However, the other staff were very nice.

Great hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

A less expensive breakfast option would be nice!

Beautiful hotel, professional and friendly staff, sparkling clean, comfortable bed.

Good place to stay in Madrid

Comfortable, quiet and nice

Nice hotel

The room I stayed in was a bit small.

Pretty much everything.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would stay again.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was comfortable as was the bed. The breakfast buffet was excellent.

excellent|||||||||||||||||||||||

room too hot at night

breakfast excellent,room a good size

The breakfast was outrageously expensive : 17€ !
    • Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was outrageously expensive : 17€ !

Very good, friendly staff, clean rooms and a good location.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was a little too warm.

Staff were very helpful and friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room

No tea/coffee facilities in the room. Would have been nice.

Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Good location and value for money

The property is clean and comfortable. The staff were wonderful and attentive.