Reviews of Emperador 4 stars

Gran Vía, 53, Madrid City Centre, 28013 Madrid, Spain

#164 of 327 hotels in Madrid

• Double or Twin Room

Staff were not very friendly or helpful (with maybe two exceptions). We had a lunch in the lobby bar and the waiter there was extremely rude when asked for milk for a coffee. Especially when he had practically nothing to do as the place was empty. Food and drink was extremely expensive in the hotel and at rooftop bar.

Rooftop pool was very good.

• Double or Twin Room

Staff at the bar were not on top form this time, it seemed the room service took priority, but it didn't spoil our trip

Excellent hotel and location have visited 7 times and never been disappointed

• Double or Twin Room

I was unhappy about no latte or cappuccino coffee in the morning with breakfast. when you ask a member of staff they say they will Charge 2 Euros for each coffee. I thought ok i need a coffee. I was absolutely undrinkable too strong and cold. I returned the coffee and refused to pay for it, I also did not like the fact that in room 828 in the bathroom next to the sink area was a closed frosted glass window. i thought this was locked maybe a storage cupboard so i opened it. Oh my goodness it was a deep high drop of 8 or more floors. Dirty and dark > what a health and safety issue for any guest staying with young children who may climb on surface and watch parent or have teeth cleaned next to sink. I was shocked and disgusted. I did not sleep that well for whole stay as it planned on my mind watching too many horror films. I was frighted something may come through the door. It may have been a dump waiter or a shaft for transporting food or supplies as hotel is old as the hotel is older. I would however like to have been informed of this beforehand or a discount applied to this room for that reason. Not that impressed as i did mention it to reception who just shrugged shoulders. They also have high security in the hotel you have to use your room card to be able to use the lift and to enter the roof top terrace. so don't keep your room card near your phone otherwise you will not be able to use lift or get to roof terrace and have to go back to reception to reactivate your card. Also they have a so called sauna in the basement which my friend and I wanted to use as the weather in Madrid was chilly and rainy. We went to the basement and walked into a lady having her hair permed in one of the rooms we just wandered into. The lack of no receptionist no clear spa/sauna areas was a huge let down. As the hotel except 8 Euros to use this facility and the do not book in main reception .

The roof top pool and area with amazing veiws was the best thing about this hotel

• Double or Twin Room

check in staff is not really friendly,we come here for the terrance,but when we go there,the staff told us it was provate event and did not allowed us stay there!its ridiculous!we are costomer🤷🏻‍♀️

convenience

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

what a fantastic hotel. The roof top restaurant bar, pool & restaurant were amazing, and really made our trip. We had no need to leave the hotel!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Nice breakfast, not wonderful, regarding the fact you pay extra for breakfast. No cappuccino included. Asked to pay extra...

Superior double room was very convenient. Helpful staff. Good location. Nice breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room

Excellent location on the Gran Via. Friendly staff. Great pool bar on the roof, with stunning views. We were allowed to use the pool bar and pool after checkout as we had a late flight out of Madrid that evening.

• Double or Twin Room

Someone playing the piano in the downstairs bar.

This was our 2nd visit - the 1st was 31 years ago. Lovely hotel and a great rooftop bar (and pool) with sensational sunset views.

• Double or Twin Room

The staff at Hotel Emperador made our first trip to Spain very enjoyable.

Perfect location in heart of Madrid. Walking to food, shopping and cultural sites. Metro (subway) in a two block radius made easy connection to RENFE High Speed Trains to explore other cities like Barcelona, Valencia and Toledo. Will definitely stay here again!!!!

• Double or Twin Room

Prices in the bar could be lower...

The room was ample and well equipped: in particular, it has a lot of electric sockets, minibar, tea/coffee machine. There is a big choice of different international TV channels. Internet worked well. The swimming pool on the roof is sufficiently big (although the water was not heated!). There is a small good sauna for an extra charge (8 euros). The hotel has a good location: 15-20 minutes by walk to Puerta del Sol, Opera, etc. Taxi to the airport costs 30 euros. The breakfast was good, with a big choice of products, including free sparkling wine!

The staff looks helpful, but in reality is not(except the staff of terraza). At check in they didn’t even say a hello, we didn’t get any instructions about gym, breakfast or the terrace. At breakfast some guest get the coffee, others have to ask for it, every day. And just an advice: some guests speak spanish, so they will understand how do you talk about them. Like we did.

La Terraza is fantastic.

Not super modern decor

Amazing roof terrace with epic views! The room had a fab view up Gran Via. Very comfy bed. Great central location. Staff were super friendly and very helpful.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing to do with the hotel, but on the morning of our departure I received an sms message and e-mail from Ryanair saying that our flight was leaving at 12:15 (an hour earlier than scheduled 13:15) I then rang our transfer (already paid for) who then said he couldn't come earlier and so we had to pay extra for a taxi ride to the airport (only 30 euros). However, when we arrived at the airport the flight was leaving at the scheduled 13:15 not 12:15 as messaged from Ryanair. Complaint in progress.

The hotel was comfortable and the staff were very welcoming, the central location was perfect for us and only a short transfer from the airport. The upgrade on arrival was a total surprise and made our stay in Madrid that bit more special. We were given access to more areas including the club lounge where free drinks and snacks were available in this private lounge. We had a great time. An excellent city break destination.

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms ar smaller than in the pictures and even though overall everything is ok I would suggest to improve some details, for instance bath stuff, a mirror at the room, etc.

Great location, pool and roof top. Also breakfast was good.

• Romantic Special Offer

breakfast quite expensive for what it is actually but you do have a choice.

Amazing location, great rooftop with swimming pool and great service- we came on honeymoon and we received beautiful treats- definitely recommended!

The pool was freezing.

The beds were so comfortable, i couldn't hear any noise from the street at night, air conditioned. Location is excellent. We were able to use the roof top terrace on the last day as we had a late flight. Great hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

I thought the staff was not very helpful in what to do in Madrid. Didn’t like how you couldn’t sit in the lobby if you didn’t order a drink/food. Shower in the bathroom did not have very good pressure.

I only liked the roof top pool.

• Double or Twin Room

The room, for the money I paid for this room was not worth it, room needs updating and it felt grubby, no bin emptied, no milk or coffee in the room, I have stayed here three times and this was the worst room I have ever stayed in, considering I upgraded, not worth the money I paid, I transferred to another hotel on the last night of my stay and the hotel I stayed in was more superior than the emperador.

Rooftop

• Double or Twin Room

We liked everything and would definitely return and recommend the Emperador.

The hotel was very comfortable. The bar and public seating area on the ground floor were extremely comfortable and relaxing. The room was spacious and comfortable. We particularly liked the rooftop pool and terrace and the views of Madrid were stunning.

The swimming pool was excellent, the staff were extremely friendly & helpful and the rooms were very comfortable & quiet. The location of this property is superb.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is not too good for the money. It's exactly the same every day and there is not much variety.

Everything was perfect. Very nice common areas to work or hang out, the terrace and the rooftop pool are the highlight. Beds were comfortable and rooms quiet.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Rooms were large and bright, good size bathroom, clean towels, comfortable beds, large wardrobe space. Tea & coffee facilities. Air conditioning worked well and not too noisy, double glazing kept the room quite dispite being on a busy street. The pool and terrace was a lovely place to unwind after sight seeing, pleanty of sun beds, pool towels provided. Lobby bar was a nice place to relax and all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

• Romantic Special Offer

Expensive. Paid extra for the romantic offer which wasn’t worth it at all!!!

Location was perfect, the Madrid palace is 10min walk away. The city tour bus route stops just outside the hotel. Local food and bars were great too.

The location was in the Heart of thecity! Walking distance to everything! I know I am selling his name wrong! Ayrton! Very cool and funny and just nice!

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel is in a great location and so central to everything. Once you’re inside you’ll never say you’re in the centre of all the hustle and bustle of Madrid. They have a beautiful pool deck right at the top as well, a pity that it was under construction during our stay!

• Double or Twin Room

Our window of room was facing an unpleasant view! No sunlight and hanging clothes between bulindings. We couldnt open our window for a little fresh air because it was disgusting. I asked the receptionist to change our room. He was not helpful and super rude. He told me to come back tomorrow in the morning if they have another room. He didnt even say I will call you and let you know.

The room was super clean. Location was so good.

• Double or Twin Room

Air conditioner can't be adjusted. Concierge not giving us any help when he saw us, small ladies, with big luggage(s) or hands full of bags. Not once during our 4 nights stay. But he did always help other white-skin customers.

Prime location. Front desk is helpful and with quick response. Room is spacious and clean. Decoration is elegant. Sauna and massage is good.

• Double or Twin Room

The building is old and while otherwise in top condition and clean, the water pressure in the ninth floor was poor and temperature kept changing from very hot to ice cold during shower. Also some noise from hallway during nighttime.

Central location on a busy street few blocks from the central pedestrian area. Metro station across the street. Polite and smooth service in English. The room was on the courtyard side so there was no view but no street noise either. Lobby bar and top floor terrace bar.

The front desk staff was not very friendly with me and considering the length of my stay my room was very unsatisfactory in that it had zero view and was extremely small. There just was nothing particularly remarkable about this hotel and in passing by many other hotels in the same area, were I to visit Madrid again I would not stay at Hotel Emperador.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bed could have been a little comfier but overall no negatives.

The hotel is on gran via so is spot on in location.We had a lovely surprise when we got to hotel the receptionist informed us we had been upgraded to a junior suite.The suite was lovely we had excellent choice at breakfast and all the staff we came into contact with were very friendly and helpful would definitely recommend and would visit again.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Room needed a little upgrade - dent in the wall, cracked bathroom tile, but was otherwise good.

Great breakfast selection, excellent central location, large bedroom and luxurious feel of the hotel

• Double or Twin Room

Room and hallways had a peculiar smell..sort of smelt like it was a smoking floor but it wasn't supposed to be.

It's central location .was in a great location to many restaurants and a great location for walking to the sights of the city.

No complaints.

Location - beside Gran Via and metro is just across the street. Close to most attractions and shopping in the city. Hotel staff are very helpful. Room is decent in size considering it's a hotel in city centre.

• Double or Twin Room

On the last day I received an email from Pitney Bowes saying that a package had been delivered for me. It turned out that the package was two packaged breakfasts for our plane flight, which were to be delivered the next morning. It seemed weird that I would receive an email from a shipping company to deliver some breakfasts that could have been prepared on-site and delivered to our room. A minor point.

Well located, and the room and lobby were nice.

For a 4-star hotel, I would have expected to have air-conditioning: room was too warm for my taste and I had to open the window from time to time. In February hardly a good solution. But how will the rooms be in summer heat?? I also wondered why a 4-star hotel did not provide bathrobe & slippers as it is a standard requirement. Hotel has a busy 10th floor bar which means there will be a mix of outside bar hoppers using the same lifts as hotel guests: can be a nuisance.

Location of Emperador is excellent: on Gran Via, by metro station Santo Domingo. Hotel is not as luxorious as their website suggests but still a pleasant facility. Breakfast buffet started promptly at 7:00 and catered till 10:30: good for all types of travellers. My room had the lowest rate but still had a big double bed and a good bathroom.

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel is a bit 80s in decor and will soon be due for a bit of a makeover, but it is a very pleasant place to stay.

Very spacious an comfortable room with all amenities including an expresso coffee machine. The breakfast was generous and delicious in a pleasant dining room. The staff were friendly and welcoming.

• Double or Twin Room

Great location, walking distance to all the major attractions. Very friendly staff always willing to help . Terrace lounge staff were very nice too. Room was spacious , always clean . Breakfast included a large variety and was very enjoyable.

• Double or Twin Room

A comfortable hotel with a fantastic location right in the heart of the city centre, easily accessible to a lot of what Madrid has to offer. The staff were friendly and welcoming, would very much recommend.

• Romantic Special Offer

Room was too warm at night even with AC on, had to sleep with the window open.

Couldn’t ask for a better location, all staff were pleasant and friendly.

First room I was assigned to smelt of SEWAGE! No kidding. It was a room on the 6th floor. I made a complaint and was reassigned to a smaller room on the 8th floor. No apology was given; concierge guy made me feel like I was kicking up a fuss for a non-significant issue. No hotel room, especially a 4 STAR hotel should ever smell like sewage! The subsequent room was only slightly better. It was winter and allegedly the air-conditioning does not work in winter in the whole of Emperador - one simply has to open the window. Unfortunately in this case, the newer room I was assigned to did not have the best natural ventilation, making the room incredibly stuffy.

Location was the ONLY good thing.

It was very hot in bedrooms,, Shower head could have been better..

Excellent breakfast!! Large rooms.. Plenty clothes hangers and storage. Coffee and tea in room. Check out by 12,☺️

Room very warm, no mirror in the bedroom, phone did not work properly, bedside lamp hanging off the wall. Breakfast only average - certainly not worth the extra cost.

Location,staff friendly and helpful. We loved the lobby bar and Terraza Cocktail bar on the roof.

Nothing. It was perfect.

This is a GREAT hotel! In the center of Madrid, 10m from Santo Domingo subway station. The room was awesome. Perfect air conditioner, extra clean, cosy and spacious. The staff was really really friendly and breakfast was delicious. Definetely going back everytime i visit Madrid.

• Romantic Special Offer

The room was very small. The hot water too over 10mins to become hot enough for a shower and the aircon was not working at all. We found the hotel very warm and room itself very warm, so when we tried to cool the room down, it was pumping hot air in. When I told the staff at check out they seemed unconcerned. I would not stay here again.

We had one night in Madrid before catching a flight out to Iceland. It was central to downtown Madrid and the airport.

• Romantic Special Offer

it was hot in the room all the time. not possible to control the temperature. could not sleep. they could not provide a fan at least.

friendly service.

Staff did not even bother to say hello in the corridors/hall. Check-out experience quite bad. Linen not clean for the whole stay (4 nights). Breakfast in-room kit not clean, asked to bring clean stuff and only received a clean cup but not a tea spoon

Very well located

• Double or Twin Room

the room wasnt clean very good the room a bit oldfashion the price was high compare other hotels air condition didnt work in this time of the year

the location was very good the staff was very kind

• Double or Twin Room

the reason i choose Emperador is its location. however this time i was very dissappointed by my room. the room was not clean at all. the carpets were dirty which i understand since it is a hotel and people are stepping on their shoes. however they should put room slippers in rooms for these. the shower curtains and the runner sheet on the bed were dirty too. Emperador is not a cheap hotel so they should really provide at least "clean" rooms to their guests. But my main problem is the smell of the room. I think it was because of the toilet. There must be a problem, they should really check it. room no : 612 .. also the rooms' sound isolation is not good. I heard every step from other rooms in my own room so i could not get a proper sleep. i wont stay in Emperador again.

• Double or Twin Room

Uncomfortable beds, woke up with pain in my back I still have the pain since 5 days. Old furnitures! You can get a bottle of water for the first night only unless you will check in and out everyday “as the reception said” !!! They don’t put shampoo and soap in the toilet unless you ask for it!! The AC is hot all the time and putting it on “cool” doesn’t make any difference. Bad customer service and bad reciptiont staff. When we told them about the AC they said we can’t do anything for you just open the window! I think I am paying to get a good service and not staying for free here. Worst reception ever. Btw, we had 5 rooms for 3 nights and thats a total of 15 nights. If we had more time we would changed the hotel for sure as I wont even pay 10 Euros for it. They don’t deserve the 4 stars and will not stay there again. I don’t recommend this hotel to anyone even if they gave you a free room.

• Double or Twin Room

The Hotel is centrally located, close to several metro stops (easy city access), several theatres and many shops. The staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are decently appointed and quiet, although not new. Overall, a great place for a few days in Madrid.

• Double or Twin Room

Room very warm and air con did not cool due to November. Windows opened but too noisy with traffic.

Hotel location. Size and location of room plus breakfasts

• Double or Twin Room

Seats in the lobby could be doing with a refurbish, some of the seats you just sank into and was uncomfortable if you have short legs.

Upgraded room was excellent, breakfast good, lobby is a great place to meet friends and just to have a coffee or a drink. Hotel position is good for theatres and restaurants close by, a few really good restaurants hidden down some side streets.

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel is in a great location just minutes walk from all the main shops, metro just across the road, staff helpful & friendly, room was very comfy and clean, nice lobby bar. Plenty of restaurants, bars & cafes within minutes walk of hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

Excellent location. The room was a good size and the bed and pillows very comfortable. We had an internal room and it was very quiet. We didn’t eat at the hotel but there are many places nearby. It is in easy walking distance of everything but has good transport very close by if needed. Staff were very good

• Double or Twin Room

Room was too warm. Was told that the air conditioning was off for the season. Told to open the window for fresh air!

Convenient location. Friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

The internet was very slow and we only had a moderate signal inside the room. The roof garden and poll are completely closed from October to April. Maybe it's really cold in the winter, but as we were there it was pretty warm (29 degrees) and we still were to allowed to go to the roof bar.

Nice location, close to the palace and still a very quiet hotel. Very kind staff. Nice decor in the room and the common areas. Nice bathroom. A welcome drink (cava) was offered in the lobby bar, which was very cute!

• Romantic Special Offer

Bedroom old and furnishings same age. Iron marks on bed covers etc.

Location fantastic on Gran Via. Nice welcome drinks plenty of sockets for plug in room

No complaints.

Absolutely loved this hotel. Rooms were not big but were very comfortable and well appointed. The pool area was fantastic. Would really recommend this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was expensive. No restaurant. But there are plenty of food options nearby.

Great location right in the Theatre district. Great food options available nearby. Nice room. Nice pool and terrace. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Roof top terrace closed on the day we arrived, weather was lovely and it would have been nice to relax in the sun on an afternoon after sightseeing in the mornings

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Limits on devices connected to WiFi at same time. Expensive breakfast (21 Euros) compared to other places we'd stayed. Some traffic noise/sirens/etc at night (we were on Fourth Floor).

Great location on the Gran Via, with short walk to palace and parks (and shopping). Lots of restaurants all around (including two good Chinese restaurants - we needed vegetables...). Breakfast available at Faborit around the corner for 2.50 Euros (coffee and small boccadillo) or for a little more a couple of doors down at Jamon 55. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a Junior suite, so had a very big room, which made it easier for the three of us to spread out. Nice bay window looking out over Gran Via. Room safe big enough to handle Ultrabook (no other hotel safe did).

Breakfast is quite expensive for the quality and range of options. Disappointing. Small gym with dusty and old equipment, a bit uncomfortable to work out there. My room and parts of the halls were a bit "oldness-like" smelly (reeky plumbings, old carpets, etc.). Old building in need of some renovation and refurbishing. No restaurant. Limited bar and room service menu, although food quality was ok. It was ok for a quick business related stay in Madrid but would look for much better options in the city.

Great location, right in the heart of Gran Via. Very well connected by public transport with mainly every main location in the city. Proper check in and check out process. Room was fairly clean. Decent bed. Ok bathroom with proper set of amenities. Helpful staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Standard of bedroom was not 4 star and very disappointed. Tiny bedroom perhaps the smallest I have ever stayed in, width of bedroom was wide enough for double bed and two bed side tables. Would rather keep curtains closed than look out at the view we had. Would not return to this hotel for that reason.

Four star rating for standard of hotel reception, lobby, bar area, roof top bar.

• Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

Great hotel, super location, staff were excellent - very friendly and helpful with good English. Rooms were a great size and beds very comfortable. Rooftop bar and pool were amazing, would be fabulous for a private function like a wedding etc. (closed for the winter). I would highly recommend this hotel for a trip to Madrid and would book again.

• Double or Twin Room

The bath of our room should be renewed, but the room was overall ok.

Location is fantastic, in the beating heart of Madrid! Everything is at walking distance : shops, monuments, restaurants... The rooftop pool and bar are amazing. Nice staff, we had a very nice staying at the Emperor.

The pillows were very thin. Would have been lovely to swim in rooftop pool but wasn't heated - absolutely freezing water temperature.

Good central location. Staff nice. The rooftop was lovely for an early evening drink.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was ok. For an above-average priced hotel, I would have expected a little more.

Beautiful hotel, a little more expensive, but worth the extra money. The roof pool is amazing! Good location and the double window made sure there was NO noise from the street.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing to complain about.

The location of the Hotel was superb. Although on Gran Via, sound proofing worked well. Breakfast was great and breakfast staff were superb often working at a frantic pace to keep up with volume of guests due to the hotel taking big tour bookings. Room was a good size although looking a little tired. Carpet could do with replacement. Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful with very good English. We would definitely return.

• Romantic Special Offer

The front desk need customer relations training.

the front desk staff are less then customer friendly - they could take a lesson in customer relations. they are too quick to blame the customer even for their error. This is the 4th time I have stayed at the hotel and unfortunately something always goes wrong with the front desk. The rest of the staff are fantastic.

Great location on one of the main streets, Gran Via. Easy to get around the city, lots close by Nice rooftop pool and bar. They put my dad and I in rooms together at the end of the corridor, very helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Some staffs are very serious looking esp the guards they need to smile .

Very nice location ... close to restaurants , parks, theatres, and everything. Hop on hop off stops just accross the street. Very nice pool and bar in the roofdeck.

• Romantic Special Offer

Apparently you had to pay more for the breakfast.. 20 Euros. We were not aware. We visited a local cafe LaRollerie and had an amazing breakfast for half the price.

We loved the pool, the views, the rooms, the staff. Everything was great! Except not having a breakfast included.

• Double or Twin Room

There was an area with sun umbrellas that was not available to us. There was no shade around the pool area for most visitors. NEVER have I seen a 2 standards at a pool area With skin cancer being of high importance there should be shade available to ALL customers.

room size and bed quality

Didn't have breakfast so can't comment on this. My friend who was on the sofa bed commented that the mattress was a little lumpy

Well located within easy walking distance of sights, shops and restaurants. Rooms were a good size and very comfortable and staff helpful and courteous. Probably the best rooftop pool and sunbathing area I have seen in a city centre and the salads were generous and tasty.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Great location. Room was spacious and had everything in it you would need. Breakfast was extensive. We didn't use the facilities but the pool looked marvellous on the rooftop.

Browse Emperador traveller photo gallery