Reviews of Grand Hotel Central 5 stars

Via Laietana, 30, Ciutat Vella, 08003 Barcelona, Spain

#56 of 516 hotels in Barcelona

Please add veggies to the breakfast buffet

A very good location; the property freshly refurbished; nice hotel restaurant and extremely helpful hotel staff. Breakfast not very hugely assorted (pastry, fruit, cold cuts, eggs, dairy; almost no veggies). Free coffees and teas in the room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The rooms are a bit on the smaller side with not the greatest view but still very chic and designed well.

Great service with very friendly staff, just a really great boutique hotel in an excellent location!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Noisy room. meant to be a quiet room but up all night due to noise in little park beneath window. Also lift very very slow to arrive and staircase not signposted enough

Comfy bed, clean room, staff lovely

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The cleanness... On arrival I found hair in the bath and the wc... Fingerprints on the headboard... Only one bathrobe... We were two. The bathroom amenities.. Like the shampoo body lotion etc are extremely small... Not enough even for one person for a single use. We came back from the pool at 16h the room was not serviced yet.. After two calls to The reception there came a chambermaid and her answer was that the girl working on that floor was extremely slow and that was the reason (Lucys answer ) . So we left the room... the maid took the only bathrobe we had and we never got it replaced. Neither the coffee was replaced, or the hand soap.. Pieces of paper on the floor stayed there for our two night stay... They room felt a little claustrophobic cause the windows are sealed but overall I liked it... Nice simple and modern design. Upon checkout we came to know that we got pre-autorization on both of the cards we presented at check in (one was supposed to be only for the extras) ... One the total stay and the other for the first night... Weird... So we got pre authorised for 3 nights... Strange hotel policy..

The infinity pool is amazing with an unmatched view over Barcelona The drinks The modern design The location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The pool area on the roof is crowded as ultimately it’s too small to serve the number of guests

The staff were very helpful especially when my flight was cancelled and we had to stay an extra night. We were offered a good room at a reasonable rate with breakfast included and late checkout

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I was not thrilled with the curtained bathroom door. The toilet should be in its own room rather than shared with the bathtub.

I love the beauty, the central location and the very helpful staff!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff was so friendly and helpful. It made our stay so nice. Big shout out to Facundo, Argentinian staff member. He went out of his way to help us.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I booked breakfast via booking.com before I went on holiday. When I arrived for breakfast early in the morning I was told I had not booked in quite a rude way and told to wait while they checked with reception. As I was in a hurry I did not wait for the staff member to return. Not impressed! The location did not suit me - very urban and I was quite disappointed with the building as a whole. The room was ok but nothing special for the price. I went to the roof bar which was quite exciting but was ignored for about 10 minutes and then brought a quite unpleasant drink. The atmosphere was very smoky so I left quickly. When I went to check out there were some strange things on my bill which the girl just crossed out when I queried them. All in all not very professional. I stayed elsewhere in Barcelona later in my trip and much preferred it in every way.

The staff at check in were very good. The room service menu and quality of food was good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was good foodwise but I felt the service wasn't always as slick as the rest of the hotel. On sitting down you were asked what kind of coffee you wanted and the waiter or waitress took your cup to the nespresso machine - quite often they would leave the cup under the machine while it filled with coffee but then deliver "your" coffee to another table. This happened on several occasions and we only stayed for 3 days. This is a picky point but it became a bit irritating when it kept happening......

The location of the hotel was perfect - very central, close to restaurants and tourist attractions. On arrival we were offered a drink and our room was ready even though it was a few hours before official check in time. Our room was on the small side, which was to be expected for a city centre hotel (and because we must have been in one of their cheaper rooms!) but everything was present and correct and the free mini-bar (beer and soft drinks) was a nice touch. Staff were friendly and helpful especially on the front desk, the concierge service and the rooftop bar. The rooftop bar had a stunning view of the city.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

By far not a 5 stars hotel, nor the service, nor the rooms, its a reasonable 4 stars hotel. Prices were over the top

The breakfast was good but the service badly managed. The location is good! Thats it. They shoukd have 4 stars and not 5 and then jt would be reasonable again

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Went on a weekend with my best friend. Staff treated us like princesses 👌🏼 We even got a surprise as they offered us this amazing upgrade to the most beautiful hotel suite ever!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I couldn't get the tub to fill, never asked the staff for help though. Room was small - but comfortable and well equipped.

Very central location. The Sky Bar and roof top pool area were sweet. The staff was exceedingly friendly, helpful and courteous. Breakfast was wonderful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was TOO cosy.. There was no place to let luggage be opened and also our room had very simple interior

Staff is nice and friendly, location is superb! Rooftop pool is also nice

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Rooms and hotel were very dark at all hours of the day. Dont we go to Barcelona for the light and sun?

The device was impeccable and hotel located in an excellent location. Infinity rooftop pool is wonderful for afternoon lounging.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately every morning we went for breakfast we were told that it was not included even although we had breakfast included in our room rate.

Staff were all very helpful and extremely welcoming.

Room was a little small

The service from the whole team was superb! From reception. Through to room service and the sky bar , including when I had unexpected flight delays when having checked out . I truly felt I was at home but 5 star 😊

The friendliness and efficiency of the staff was fantastic! Adi at the front desk was a great help and very accommodating. The roof pool bar was fun and had a great view.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

There is nothing bad I can say about the hotel but we decided not to have breakfast, as felt it was very expensive and there are some excellent cafes in El Born that do a fantastic breakfast / brunch.

We had a wonderful stay. The staff all went out of their way to look after us from the moment we arrived. The location was excellent, we loved being so close to the bars and restaurants of El Born. The rooftop pool and bar made our trip extra special (the cocktails & the view are amazing).

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The walls were quite thin, we could hear the room next door someone had high heals on and it woke us up early. Reception also called around 4am by accident and this woke us up too. Apart from that everything was great.

The hotel had amazing decor. The staff were very friendly and professional. We were upgraded to a superior room with breakfast. The roof top pool was lovely.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

For the money you pay you would expect things finished to a high standard in the rooms. Also was kept awake from the window rattling all night. This put a huge damper on things as we were so tired the next day. Also when we got home I checked our bill only to find they charged me twice for room service. We paid the person who brought up our wine £20 euros but he clearly didn’t give to reception for us and kept as a tip instead.

Hotel was very clean.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We been live in some similar level hotels in barcelona as well and we find the price here was little bit over

Very friendly front desk stuffs always with sweet smiles. Free ice drink during the waiting session before check in. Perfect central location. Amazing sky bar and roof swimming pool.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The restaurant menu stated if you were a member of a club or society you will receive a discount , the residents should also receive a discount as well ? The last night we ate their , I wasn't feeling very well with a stomach bug , I went to give my wife some company , I was persuaded to have some plain rice , however I still received a high bill the next day for just rice ?

Excellent service front the front of house team , especially from Saul he was exceptional !

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location was great, staff were lovely and very helpful, hotel itself is beautiful as well as the room. Would happily stay again when we go back to Barcelona.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was a little cramped

The breakfast was great as was the coffee. The beds were comfy but our room was a little small. Other than that, everything was great, clean and the staff were very helpful and accommodating

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Highly recommended for a stay in Barcelona! Good roof top bar/pool area, great beds, very helpful and attentive staff, perfect location for beach, shopping, tourism.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Usage of small conference room for guests is for additional costs, and more than 100 EUR per hour! I think it must be included in 5* or be much cheaper.

location is great, beds are firm and comfortable, wi-fi is perfect, all facilities for 5* hotel are quite good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel was superb, the team excellent, the breakfast beyond all expectations, the rooms were quiet and spacious with super comfortable beds and big shower in the bathroom. The view from the top, where the swimming pool is located with a nice bar, is marvelous! The crew has been always polite and really helpful! Best position in town surrounded with a lot of attractions as well as bars & restaurants, everything in walking distance. I warmly recommend this hotel! A guarantee for a perfect stay!!

Rooms were fantastic, great view, really clean and well presented. Very luxurious feel. Roof top pool and bar were outstanding. Amazing breakfast and really friendly staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

A little confusion re our booking. Hotel thought we hadn’t paid the 50% deposit to booking.com. It was easily sorted however.

Staff were amazing. Perfect location. Lovely room.

N/a

Left too early for breakfast to go to marathon but recption desk saw me and gave me a little food parcel. That was a nice touch. Free mini bar which I only took a couple of items from. Also the complimentary drink was great and I am sorry I did not frequent the bar more.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

room - room noise insulation not too good - so quiet neighbors are a bonus

Excellent bed. Super friendly and helpful staff - getting a printout, even a packed breakfast because of an early departure, and Cava...

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The gym and sonna facilities were not available at the property due to maintenance reasons, we could have been informed before our arrivals .

Service and the team was exceptional including breakfast team and front desk, Herman at the reception was very helpful and always smiling. The team is great asset to the hotel.

Nothing at all

Location, bed, complimentary nespresso in the room, terrace pool, bar/restaurant at the entrance which was very chic, welcoming staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel is quite dark A shame the gym was being refurbished and out of action.

Great location The roof top pool is gorgeous and warm enough to swim in in February

• Executive Double or Twin Room

2 lovely nights at Grand Hotel Central , staff were friendly and excellent, we had lovely meal at city restuarent and found hotel handy for everything, rooftop pool and bar is a must see,will go again

• Executive Double or Twin Room

But they have a problem with heating and wifi. Considering that our trip was in February and at night the temperature drops to 2-3 Celsius, a 5 star hotel needs to have proper heating. However our heating was so inefficient that we had to run it at 29 degree C. And WiFi is also very poor performing. Constantly dropping offline and when online only 2-3 Mbits.

Location is great. Staff is very friendly. Rooms are OK. Overall nice hotel

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Room size could have been bigger

The staff of the hotel was supremely helpful and extremely friendly , one of the best hotel teams around the world I would say.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The staffs were very courteous and helpful , at the front desk and room service . We really enjoyed the breakfast and the service of your staff at the restaurant

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Room view is bad, small room, no seperation between sleeping area and washing area, water of shower leak in the floor. As compared with 4 or 5 start hotel facilities are low

Staff are very friendly

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I left my shoes in the " Please Clean my shoe" box but the cleaner just put the box back in the closet without cleaning my shoes...I stayed for 3 nights and the cleaner forgot to replace the hand towel for 2 out of the 3 days. For a 5 star hotel, one would expect better attention to details by the Cleaning staff.

We were travelling as a group and one of my friend celebrated her birthday during our stay. The front desk staff wished her Happy birthday when we came down for breakfast. Later in the day when we returned to the hotel, she discovered balloons and a bottle of sparking wine in her room. It was a lovely gesture by the hotel !

• Executive Double or Twin Room

don't ask for taxi from the hotel the Taxi they brought to us charged us extra 20 U he told us to pay 50 while the odometer says 31

everything was great the location , breakfast , roof , very clean rooms and helpful staff we loved it.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We liked the very warm welcome from reception and the porters throughout our stay. The roof top was a wonderful surprise - what a magnificent view. The room and bathroom was large and very luxurious. Everything we needed was available to us. Breakfast in the city bar area was great with plenty of variety and hot menu items cooked to order. The location of the hotel is fabulous.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Great location, staff excellent! Only problem was our room was not cleaned one day. Had some difficulty adjusting the air, but was probably just me. View from our room was not good, but the rooftop pool/bar was excellent!! Breakfast not included in our rate, but coffee and Champagne included in the lobby. Lovely hotel.

Everything was wonderful.

The rooms are lovely. The staff is exceedingly helpful and friendly; we had a child's birthday party in our suite and they went above and beyond to help us out.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Helpful staff, really central good location and overall very clean hotel. It is right next to the shopping street but located in a less crowded and touristy central street which is great. Furniture looks new, breakfast is also quite good with everything you need. It has an amazing rooftop, even it's winter it is a must seen ! For it's central location and everything, price is very good in comparison.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

This was an amazing honeymoon experience! Complementary Champagne on arrival, with a 2nd bottle my husband requested. The mini bar was free and refilled every day. The rooftop pool was still lovely on a cool November morning, very refreshing. The concierge was extremely helpful with where to avoid as the protests were nearby. The chauffer service was on point, with the driver very friendly and also complementary bubbles before departing. The rooms are clean and spacious, a big change from other hotel rooms we had stayed at! Definitely would recommend to others.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was very comfortable, the view from the room and the rooftop pool was stunning even in cold weather and the staff were helpful and considerate at all times.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Room layout is terrible, narrow space between bed on all 3 sides and narrow corridor, luggage gets it the way of moving inside the room. 6 large windows with not much of a view? Get rid of 2 of them and make them mirrors, it was annoying not to have mirrors in the bedroom. Low lighting is nice in the lobby but annoying in the room. Very rushed housekeeping service, socks just thrown anywhere in the cupboard, the maid threw all our loose stuff in a cup so she mixed our toothbrush covers - little things which shouldn't take place in 5* hotels if proper training has been made. . The use of the Spa's Sauna in top 5* hotels i have found is usually free, it was quite expensive here. Breakfast variety is poor. We were very dissapointed initially but the staff and location saved the day. A good hotel overall.

The staff is really good, true five star. Special mention to the head concierge and guest relations guys who were 1st class. They made our stay very enjoyable and turned our initial impressions around, well done to them and to reception. Location is also very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Exceptionaly comfortable room, breathtaking rooftop pool and bar, amazingly warm and cozy lobby area. This hotel is one of the best I’ve stayed in the World!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We looked out onto properties which had views directly from their windows into our room, which, for reasons of privacy, meant it was not possible to leave the blinds up to enjoy the view of the gothic street below. My bedside table was just a lampstand - so no drawers to keep things in or even room for a cup/glass!

Elegant room with VERY comfortable bed and excellent room service!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The only downside that we encountered was that we expected the rooftop pool to be heated in November but it was not.

The really enjoied our stay in Grand Hotel Central. Once you enter the hotel from the busy street you can instantly feel in whole different world of tranquility. The room was quiet, spacious and well decorated, the bed was super comfy, the bathroom was amazing, the stuff were welcoming nice and helpful. The rooftop pool is amazing as well. We appreciated the free minbar, the 24/7 reception and the luggage store.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything was spot-on with this hotel. Great location, staff was friendly and helpful. This hotel pays attention to the details. And the bar makes excellent drinks too!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

We were not made aware that the sky bar would be closed . We were not aware the sauna and spa cost extra. The bath would not plug in so we were unable to use this too. Over all we paid 350 for just a room for 2 nights. A BIG DISPOINTMENT !

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Travelled for some days to Barcelona, stayed in this wonderful hotel, very friendly staff, especially at the reception; our needs were well catered for. The Rooms are a bit smaller but very clean and just perfect for a short trip to the city. Unfortunately the Pool bar was opened until 17:00 hrs, so we couldn't enjoy a late night Cocktail at the Rooftop, but the city bar which is adjacent to the Hotel is also highly recommendable. We realy enjoyed our stay there and we will definitely come back again. A perfect stay.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We wanted laundry done & the ladies did not pick it up and were late to service our room, but as soon as we called they came and serviced the room.

I had been to Barcelona before and I was very specific about staying in a nice hotel in Gothic Quarter. This hotel was excellent on every front: location, staff, room comfort & design, etc. From the moment we arrived they offered us a welcome glass of Cava, and the kind man who brought our bags showed us all about our room. I love that the minibar is gratis, a really nice touch. We had a tasty dinner on rooftop. The front desk staff arranged Picasso Museum tickets for the following am, which is a short 7 minute walk from hotel.

Maybe a few more options inthe good breakfast buffet although everything come to think of it, tasted really great.

The business room was very nice, would have preffered a shower to a bathtub perhaps but the staff was very welcoming, great serviceminded and very professional and kind.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Room size was marginal fro the money. Bedding could have been better for the money.

Roof top bar was a great space and nice to have a drink at the end of the day.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Poor food menu in comparison to other 5* hotels which is a shame as the rooftop dinner setting is one of the best spots in Barcelona. Luckily there are many good tapas restaurants near by.

Excellent location and the size of the rooms. The rooftop pool setting is what makes this hotel.

All fantastic

Fantastic location. Saúl Cana was the star of the show. Recommending bikes for my wife and I was the highlight. We toured around Barcelona, along the coast and back! Thank you Saul.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

For a five star hotel, it is disappointing. The room was pleasant enough but a bit on the small side with no real outstanding features to set it apart. I found the staff to be dull, stiff and a bit arrogant. We subsequently stayed in Hotel Arts which was much more deserving of a five star status.

Great central location for exploring Barcelona, on the doorstep of the old town, even sights such as the beach/Parc Ciutadella/La Sagrada Familia are not a million miles away. The rooftop with the infinity pool and bar/restaurant is pleasant though nothing special as it's a bit small and lacking in atmosphere.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I loved everything. The staff are attentive, gentile and very helpful ,the room was amazing -clean comfortable with a great view. The bed is massive and incredibly comfortable, the shower is luxurious and spacious. There was free champagne and a room upgrade. The pool and the roof top bar are incredible, lovely staff and a panoramic view of Barcelona.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It was amazing. The location, the hotel and the rooms were great, the skybar is cool designed with a great view. The best thing about the stay was the hotel staff - always extreme polite and professional. Defintely my hotel choice for my future Barcelona stays.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Darkness of hotel too dark and smell was so strong the perfume in the entrance was a bit strong as im asthmatic

Amazing staff, central location, great pool vibe, best gazpacho I ever had in Spain was the CITY BAR at the hotel. Johanna and Agata were amazing staff and friendly as were the reception staff and porters.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The rooms were SO noisy. The windows, walls, ceiling and floors were paper thin. We could hear the room next door brushing their teeth, people talking on the street outside and guests walking around in the room above.

The staff and location

Smaller room--some road noise

Friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable room--although I upgraded from standard suite and the room felt small but adequate. Great roof top bar and convenient to old town. Concierge was also very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

FREE Spa, breakfast max 12 Euro / person. VEGETARIAN MENU in your restourant, and new plastik glasses for wine , such scratched plastic cups in 5 Star hotel- no go!!!!

Fotos on booking and homepage-exelent, but .. swimming pool is not swimming pool, this is really tiny and open till 19: 00 For Sauna -45 min cost 50 Euro / Person !!! Breackfast 26 Euro / Person extra- you can get exelent Breackfast opposit from hotel for 10 Euro and in other hotels for 12 Euro / person. We paid for night more than 300 Euro- for such money i´ve never seen such poor, tiny room !!! Usually you can use spa for free in every hotel , but to pay 100 Euro for both us for 45 min - Its robbery .. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Holding the equivalent of your stay cost (room) $$ in pending for 31 days! so it's like you pay twice for the month! You do get it back but so annoying

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There is nothing I really didn't like to be honest

I enjoyed the quality of the breakfast on the first day bacon and sausages well done the way I like it.on the second day the sausage weren't weren't done how are like them..but that would put me off staying there again. The staff were friendly and always smiling.so all in all I enjoyed my stay there

We has a long wait on check-in, but apart from that everything else was good

Really good rooftop bar and pool area, attentive staff and comfortable rooms. The location is really good between the Gothic quarter and Borne

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No major cons the hotel is great however, I felt last year the drinks at the pool bar were more fun as they each had cool glasses and this year they were served in plastic.

We returned for a week-end escape for my partners birthday (both 27). Really great hotel, awesome terrace on the roof, perfect playlist by the pool and really nice drinks and food. We stayed in the grand suite and the room and views were fantastic!

Very expensive

Very Poor lighting in our room. Water from shower went all over the floor Ironing board was useless Drinks and cocktails very expensive When you paid as much as we did you don't expect to ripped off continuously

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Place was perfect, didn't want to leave. Will definitely go back. Only one small negative was the rootop bar which was a great place. Didn't like the fact that people were on same cushions in day with hot sweaty oiled/greased bodies as at night when people came out dressed for the evening.

Most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Staff were lovely, very friendly and helpfull. When we checked in they noticed it was our Birthdays (Husband and I) from our passports and they came to our room with a bottle of champagne in ice and a cake. Comfortable and chilled rooftop bar was amazing, great views. Bar in hotel was also lovely.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Building work at the rear of the hotel

Outstanding front of office staff. Very helpful in arranging tickets, making suggestions and booking taxi's.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had a problem with our window which meant it was noisy in our room but as soon as it was reported someone came to sort it out and we were offered compensation for our inconvenience. The staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Fabulous hotel with the best rooftop bar and pool.

• Suite

Building work next door and traffic noise

As a bit of a treat we (my wife, 15yr old son and I) booked a master suite (612), the suite was fab, spacious and beautifully appointed, but unfortunately the building which the hotel is connected to are refurbishing, so we kept hearing loud building work, after commenting to the hotel staff they moved us to 2 delux rooms (404 & 407) at the front of the hotel, again beautifully appointed, unfortunately the traffic noise from main road outside was still quite loud. The staff are amongst some of the best I've met in a hotel, polite, good humoured and simply couldn't do enough. In the rooms we had a free mini bar, which is a treat, but needs a little more thinking. Breakfast was great, the city bar was lovely and sky bar + infinity pool were an absolute treat. The hotel location was perfect, but for the road traffic noise.

Browse Grand Hotel Central traveller photo gallery