Reviews of Hostal Lauria 2 stars

Gran Via, 50 - 4º, Madrid City Centre, 28013 Madrid, Spain

#24 of 374 B&Bs and Inns in Madrid

9.8

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Clean, great location, friendly staff!

If you are a light sleeper like myself, then you might find that it’s pretty loud at night; especially on weekends! I had trouble sleeping the first night but bought some earplugs the next day and slept just fine! I mean the noise was only the result of being in such a central location; which was great for all other aspects! Another comment was that the room itself was quite small with a small bathroom, but we didn’t really mind.

The location on the Gran Via was ideal. Because it was central, we could stop off at the hotel to rest/change and then just continue with our sight seeing! It was also really safe with a 24 hour reception desk (note: the hotel was on the 4th floor of a building but there was an elevator). The room was cleaned every day and there were fresh towels. The staff was really helpful and even though not everyone spoke English, everyone was sweet and willing to help! I would definitely recommend this place.

I would come back for sure!

didn't like beds unfortunately as prefer more soft but the value and quality are matches in the best ever way! :)

I liked the hotel location, super friendly staff, cleanliness, internet availability, design, comfort.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Modern room with excellent location

Hostal was modern and clean which is not always the case in Madrid. Location was excellent, shops right at your door and metro stations nearby. My room had a window to Gran Via but there was no noise in the room like some other people have said. The reception was open 24 hours and you had to ring a doorbell to get in. That made me feel safe that no-one could just walk in. I had to leave very early and the receptionist ordered the taxi already the night before. Staff was very friendly.

It’s a family run business.

It’s a family run business. They are very friendly and super nice. Location very good. Very comfortable and is good to travel with family. I travel with my wife and a 10 year old kid. We feel comfortable and sleep well.

Clean, comfortable with friendly staff.

Hostal Lauria is a nice, small hotel in the city center. It is close to many attractions, making the location convenient. It's decor is simple, but neat and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The room was small, but met my needs traveling alone. I would stay here again.

Brief but brilliant. Love at first sight with Madrid and it's people. Up Leinster!

It was hard to find. No sign of a Hostal / Hotel on the outside so you must find street number 50 which seems to cover a few entrances to different properties. One is a door and then a door with bells to ring. Hostal Lauria is number 4 and when you ring bell the door will release and let you in. I was a bit stupid and thought I was at reception, but reception was of course on floor 4. Eventually I switched myself on, saw the lift and went to floor 4. From then on everything was plain sailing.

The location was great in the busy centre known as the Cineme Centre. Loads of good value places to eat well within five minutes walk and clothes /gift shops just as near. Plaza Espana just 10 minutes walk away with beautiful fountain, trees etc was a beautiful place to relax in the shade and watch the world go by. Any staff I met were warm and friendly. It was also only about 15 minutes walk to Plaza Cibeles to the airport express bus which costs only €5 and runs about every 15 Minutes. Airport taxis to / from city centre cost €30+

Very good location by Gran Via.

In some rooms there may be little noisy due to a night life on street outside.

Very good location by Gran Via. Decent standard, clean, quite comfortable. So it was all i needed.

Excellent family run hotel in the center of Madrid

Everything of this hotel is perfect. The location is excellent, close to a number of tourism/historical spots. the room is well decorated, very clean, and comfortable. The wifi was fast, and all staffs were very nice and helpful. Above of all, the most important thing for solo traveler like me is safety. I felt safe in the hotel since the reception is open 24 hour (a staff was always available). If i have a chance to come back Madrid, I want to stay in this hotel again.

A nice stay in the heard of Madrid

The bathroom: a bit too small.you have to leave your keys every time you leave the hotel which leads to a lot of ringing bells.

Nice staff. Very well located.

Feel Madrid alive

Right from the start every member of the staff was helpful and kind. We even met the owners of the establishment and they gave us tips of the several zones surrounding the hotel. The view from our room was incredible, we could see Madrid alive thanks to it. We have decided that for every trip to Madrid, our first option will always be Lauria.

Everything you need in a nice package!

Overall, everything was great. One little problem was the shower water temperature --it alternated from cold to hot, making it hard to relax because you'd never know when the water would turn cold, then hot, then cold. Yikes! Probably at a time when many people were using their showers.

I was pleased with my stay at Hostal Lauria-- the word 'hostal' sometimes makes me think of a hotel for backpackers, but that is not the case here! It is on the 4th floor of a building on Gran Via, one of the main commercial avenues of Madrid, so it is easy walking distance to many things to do. My room was beautiful, a new small space obviously professionally designed with coordinating colors, and it had a small balcony. The street could be noisy, but the windows were soundproof and it was very quiet and very secure. Also everything nice and clean. Jose at reception was super helpful with suggestions and recommendations. Great place to stay!

A big value for money, I would stay again for sure.

There was one night the shower has no hot water. I guess it's because rush hour, everyone in the building takes shower around 10-12pm. So I would suggest avoiding these hours if it does happen to you.

The location is excellent, located right in the centre of Marid's biggest shopping area. And the building is right next to a metro exit. The balcony in the room is a big bonus to the room. Staff are very helpful and kind. The room gets cleaned every day which is a surprise to me as this is a hotel.

Great Experience

I really didn't care for the noise after midnight. But you're in the heart of the city so it is what it is. Despite the noise, I will still stay at this Hostal again.

Enjoyed our stay at this Hostal. Very comfortable bed and pillow. Centrally located to everything. Very clean and great staff.

Fantastic location and helpful people

The reception is friendly, easy and informative. Ruben is always ready to help, offered great assistance to book a secure parking space in a garage of short walk, which is not easy in central Madrid. Will come back next time in central Madrid.

Good place to stay couple days.

Good place to stay couple days. Easy to take a taxi, metro or only walking to many places. Gran Via is really bussy street, and it was great suprise, that noise from the street not coming to room. But I'm not sure if every rooms are same.

The owners Ruben & Jose, and staff were awesome!

Ice was hard to come by and we would have liked to have a softer bed.

The owners Ruben & Jose, and staff were awesome! They had a lot of fabulous recommendations about where to eat, shop, & site see. They were always available and went above and beyond to help make our stay great. The room, however, was a little small for the two of us & our luggage, the bed was a little too firm, but we were able to get extra pillows. Overall we would definitely recommend Hostal Lauria to anyone traveling on a budget.

Recommended

Very small bathtab, night guard is really rude: does not speak in english you cannot deal with him... if you want to arrange something do it during the day. The owners are really helpful!

Recently renovated, nice enviroment, very well located

Nice Hostal to stay, worth for money and will recommend anyone.

The Lift was very small and can accommodate only 3 persons. WIFI is something they need to improve.

The room was really nice and view from balcony was another advantage. Busy city and few minutes walk from Gran Via Metro line. If i could go again to Madrid then definitely will stay there.

Will definitely recommend this place to others.

Wish there was a small fridge in the room.

Very central location - all Madrid's main places of interest are within walking distance. The hostal is comfortable, clean and very well kept. Staff is welcoming and very helpful.

Excellent location, perfect room and service with a personal touch!

Wish there was a breakfast service, or a minibar/fridge in the room at least. :) Other than that, it's all good.

The bedroom blew me away. It was quite large by European standards, and the decor was simple and beautiful! The air-conditioning worked perfectly. I liked how Hostal Laurier is managed by a family who really made you feel welcome ; they know your name, they answer the door when you ring the bell, and it adds a very personal touch compared to alot of other 'cold' hotels in contrast. Location is HIGHLY recommended. It's situated right next to a McDonalds, Burger King, and for the shopaholics like me, H&M, Primark, ZARA and all the big names are just within 5-10 minutes walking distance. Nearby Metro stations are just a stone's throw away. Very convenient to head to the airport, or anywhere you want really. Loved the idea of a coffee machine outside too!

Good as a hostel, not so great as a hotel.

The bathroom smelled a LOT - horrible as bad drains. The entrance from the main street is quite hidden. It is on the 4th floor and the lift is tiny. We were in the room next to the reception desk which was very noisy. The AC kept turning off, and I woke up at 5am in hot sweats to go out to ask why it was off.

Very clean hostel. Very modern. Freshly redecorated. Friendly staff. Excellent location.

Best value for money in the world!

Best Value for money in the world!!! Super clean, comfortable, modern and extremely pleasant. Perfect location. Owners super nice and helpful. I wish there were more places like this in every big city.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Great place to stay

Nothing. We found everything to be perfect.

This Hostal is clean and modern and perfectly situated for visiting Madrid. We visit regularly and try different accommodation each time but this is now our favourite. We were a large group of friends and family in Madrid for a wedding, arriving and departing at different times and nothing was too much trouble for the friendly and helpful staff.

Not room 41 if you are in any way needing to hang clothes up

We had a very small pokey room at the back of the hotel although we stayed for 4 nights. We could not hang our clothes anywhere nor store anything apart from in our suitcases. There were larger rooms with wardrobes as we found out later. We were a wedding party and that was known by the establishment. Don't have room 41. Would not stay there again until We had seen our room. We had booked months in advance.

Excellent location, helpful staff

Good value for money and excellent location

The room was a bit noisy in the mornings. One could hear the water running down from the upper floor due to the fact that the water pipes were visible, rather than built into the wall.

The rooms had been recently renovated and they were charmingly decorated (for instance, our room had a nice fresco painting of Paris).

Nice hostel!

Just the walls are very thin and all the voices in reception can hear very clearly from the room.

Very nice hostel. It is not like hostel it looks like hotel.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Not lost in Madrid

There was nothing that I didn't like, except the cold weather and no-one could have prevented that!

This hostel was recommended to me by someone who has discerning tastes. It is central, well run and extremely clean. Nothing is too much trouble for Hose and Juan who run it. This was my first visit to Madrid and they were able to answer all my questions very effectively, particularly about the different locations that I wanted to visit and based on their information, I did not get lost one.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Right on Gran Via and right across the Callao Metro station.

Right on Gran Via and right across the Callao Metro station. Location is pretty central. Room was quite spacious and new. Love the interior design of Hostal Lauria. Staff was warm, friendly and helpful. Loved my stay here.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

In the heart of La Gran Via!!!

Air Conditioning is available, however it's not turned on during winter. We visited in winter but temperatures where approaching 80 degrees but needed to open the windows.

Great helpful And friendly staff!

Very good place for an affordable price

Nothing to complain about

Excellent location, right on the Gran Via and walking distance to the best spots. Room was simple but comfortable, with a good sized bathroom and always clean. Staff attention was super nice! Definitely recommend it

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Good place to stay for a few days.

Rooms are a bit small . On rooms facing the street can be noisy especially on weekends.

Location was very good . Place was very clean and staff was always there to help .

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Perfect place in the centre of Madrid

Just the noise sometimes but we are in the centre so can't say anything.

* location: located in Gran via so center. I walked every day to visit Madrid. That's on the 4th floor of the building but there is a lift so don't worry * Room: perfect single room. I had space in the room very modern and clean. Bed was between a single and double bed so I had space to sleep. * Staff: so kind. The parents are helping the receptionists. So adorable. Perfect hotel in the centre of Madrid. From the airport use the public transports so cheap. 1,80€ !!!

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Its a hotel experience

U can hear the noise when people getting in to the entrance..mybe coz i got the room near the entrance.

Location is amazing, easy to spot on..just a step away from callao metro station, located at 4rd floor but accessible by lift. Room was cozy.bathroom clean.its perfect if u just need the place to rest at night.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Location very central.

Poor soundproofing so noise from other rooms.

Location very central. On Gran Via which is very noisy but we had a room at the back, very quiet. Staff very friendly & helpful. Fairly basic but location made it value for money compared with other hotels in central Madrid.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

A nice place for a Madrid visit

Not really any common area where more travelers are hanging out - just a long corridor with rooms going right and left. You hear a lot of noise from the corridor and from the rooms nearby. Some rooms even have a (locked) door with another room, so you would hear any word they say. A tiny room with no sunlight.

Good location, nice and friendly staff, nice modern rooms, very good water pressure in the shower, no noise from the street if you get a room to the right direction (ask for a quiet room). OK value for money.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Best location, new SPOTLESS facilities.

The AC only works during summer months, heating is central and works only from November. If you're caught in between, ask for a portable electrical heater.

Best location, new SPOTLESS facilities.

Everything was perfect, would definitely go back there!

Everything was perfect, would definitely go back there!

Really great friendly staff.

Really great friendly staff. Small but new and clean and stylish. Would stay again.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Nothiing

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

location is very good

No fridge, locker wasn't free. toddler bed wasnt free

location is very good

Excellent!!!

Excellente location. In the heart of the city. Great staff. Lovely place. Tidy and clean all the time.

Excellent location and staff.

Excellent location and staff.

I liked the cleanliness of

I liked the cleanliness of

Location is great.

The walls are a bit thin and you can here noise from the other rooms.

Location is great. Spotlessly clean.

One of Best budget place In Spanish capital.

Staffs are excellent. Will be back thanks Lauria hostel for your hospitality.

The guys at the reception (José, Ruben and Walter) are super...

The guys at the reception (José, Ruben and Walter) are super nice and if You should Need something they Will help You for sure

Amazing stay. Would recommend!

The staff were amazingly helpful!

Excellent for Madrid urban experience

Best location- on the center of gran via. Professional staff . Great experience. I'll be back. Highly recommended

Owner was very nice, facilities were very well

Only bed was a bit narrow

Owner was very nice, facilities were very well

Stay was good, prperty in great location

Not tea, cofee or water in the room. Mirror for dressing up was not properly hanged

Liked location, staff, room cleaness, price

Perfect to enjoy Madrid night life. All theaters and.shows are wolking distance.

Rooms next to Gran Via are very noisy.

Great place to stay in Madrid. Excelent location, very clean and great staff.

The banket should be a kind of duvets as it’s more...

The banket should be a kind of duvets as it’s more comfortable

Staff were so friendly, location was superb and would definitely recommend this hotel or stay again

Our shower was leaking, but manageable

Location was perfect & room was spotlessly clean.

very pleasant

very clean property, great location and friendly staff

Great location, great people, little noisy because of the location.

Noise

Great location, very friendly staff

Great location, very friendly staff

Location, staff

Location, staff

Great location (walking distance from everywhere), nice...

Small room, a bit noisy, tiny shower

Great location (walking distance from everywhere), nice modern design, comfy bed, price

Overall was good

The lift was small and did not work properly

Location and nice staff

Fantastic

Great reception. Friendly people. Good location

Would book again.

Friendly reception and entirely acceptable room for the category. Would book again.

Amazing, will choose it everytime i go to madrid Has a fantastic location and stuff.

Perfectly located,clean and spacious guesthouse

Perfectly located,clean and spacious guesthouse

Cleanness, location, friendly hosts

Cleanness, location, friendly hosts

Hotel Lauria

Good location near shops and metro.Room ideal for solo traveller. Cafes close by.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

great location - even with room facing Gran Via very little street noise

great location, friendly staff, clean, nice shower

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Hostal Lauria Top Notch

Good solid hotel and would certainly return, staff super nice.

It's all about location, location location!

Room and bed very very small

It's all about location, location location!

Great place to stay in Madrid

The location was excellent.

The location was excellent. Rooms clean. Staff polite. Can't expect more :-)

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Location, staff and cleanness are exceptional!

Location, staff and cleanness are exceptional! Highly recommended!

Nice staff good location

No tooothbrush not toothpaste No hair conditioner

Staff are nice and helpful , good location

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Great personell, great location

A bit noisy...

Fantastic personnel

The staff is very polite but some of them does not speak...

The staff is very polite but some of them does not speak english, so for someone it might be an obstacle in communication.

Browse Hostal Lauria traveller photo gallery