Reviews of Hostal Madrid 3 stars

Esparteros, 6, Madrid City Centre, 28012 Madrid, Spain

#61 of 372 B&Bs and Inns in Madrid

9.7

They gave us a.

No pool but as a budget option it far exceeded our expectations.

They gave us a. 2 br apartment with kitchen 2 baths and clothes washing machine at no extra cost. Well air conditioned. Central location at Puerto del Sol.

The location and the air conditioning.
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

There wasn’t a single smoke alarm in the apartment. We told the staff and she said it was fine as there were alarms in the main building. I think in a 3 bedroom apartment with a kitchen and lounge there should be some kind of smoke detector especially on the 5th floor.

The location and the air conditioning. The bedrooms and bathroom were very clean.

The location is excellent.

The shower is a bit small but it has good water supply. Parking is a bit tricky but doable in nearby underground parking.

The location is excellent. It is clean, comfortable and everything works. Staff are obliging and pleasant.

Great city break. Madrid buzzes,
    • Superior Single Room

I was upgraded without request to a large apartment. Staff very helpful. Arranged bookings for flamenco night and taxi to airport. Great central location close to Sol metro, but walking is best to see the city. Cafes, tapas bars, restaurants and shops all near.

Very friendly and helpful staff and right at the center of Madrid.

The hotel is very close to the center. The room we had for the first day was quite noisy (window towards the street). When we complained we got a very quiet and nice room (windows towards the inner court).

It was wonderful, the personel is very very nice and helpful...

It was wonderful, the personel is very very nice and helpful - especially Artur Kocur! Thank you one more time Artur, thanks to you we had with my mother more place and it was for her better to walk through the flat. I really appriciate this. And I am sure that we come back to you soon. Thanks for your help. And the flat that you have chosen for us was really cool. ANd thanks to all of you. Very nice hostel in perfect place!!

If I would have another chance to go back to Madrid, I would surely stay with Hostal Madrid again.
    • Superior Single Room

I guess the shower cubicle was a bit small and tight.

The best thing about the property is its location -- a few steps away from the Metro (Sol Station), restaurants, shopping areas and tourist attractions. The staff were always willing to help (e.g. show directions) and they spoke good English. They always cleaned my room everyday.

Simple hostal, but clean, friendly staff and perfectely...

If you want to have it quiet when you sleep you might be disturbed if you have a room towards the street. It could be a bit noisy. However, not a problem for us though.

Simple hostal, but clean, friendly staff and perfectely situated. Good value for the price.

EXCELLENT

EXCELLENT. THIS IS APARTMENTS....DONT BE CONFUSED...ARE EXCELLENT APARTMENTS WITH ALL Facilities and Confort and i got with BIG PRIVATE Terrace also !!!

This hotel was in a great location and a perfect option that...

There was a lot of furniture scraping noise from upstairs (not part of the hotel) on the Saturday night! Earplugs fixed the problem however.

This hotel was in a great location and a perfect option that we would not have considered had it not been such a busy weekend in Madrid when all the main stream hotels were so incredibly expensive.

Great location, walking distance to plaza major, Puerta del...

we should have checked for local sports events schedule!

Great location, walking distance to plaza major, Puerta del Sol, etc. Great staff, very attentive and helpful. Old building, renovated, comfortable bedding, amenities in bathroom. Our room overlooked an inner courtyard. Happened to arrive at time of soccer game and marathon, the neighborhood was noisy and quite busy.

Perfect location off major square in the heart of the city.

Perfect location off major square in the heart of the city. Apartment was very retro but comfortable. We had a medical emergency while we were there, Andy staff member was extremely helpful.

Loved our stay!

Having a messed up back, I prefer a soft mattress. The Queen bed was too hard for me, so I had to sleep in the other room on a twin. There was a lot of dust under the beds also... If that matters to you.

This location and Hostal is AWESOME! We rented a triple room for myself, wife and 14yr old son. They upgraded us to a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment with a huge terrace. It was beautiful! Great service also.

It was very good value for money.
    • Superior Single Room

A little noisy late in the evenings but this was due to other guests. Bring earplugs!

It was very good value for money. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was cleaned every day. Great location.

The location was ideal!

As the location is very central, in Sol and minutes from Plaza Mayor, you can expect it to be a little noisy at night. Bring you ear plugs if you’re a light sleeper!

The location was ideal! It was working distance of most tourist attractions and had many places to eat near by. You will definitely be spoilt for choice in the regards. The staff were polite and helpful. Our room was cleaned daily which was not what I was expecting from a hostel I would class this more as a hotel as had everything we needed.

Nice

The room did not have a kettle. The bathroom was that small that I could not take a shower.

The location was great. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Never more

Terribly small and unpleasant room, paper walls, smelly air, very noisy house, unconfortable bed... Generally we could not fall asleap at all! :(

Location directly in the middle of the old City

the bedroom was very clean, the bed was big and comfortable,...

the hostel is in the centre of Madrid so there is quite noise during the night due to the movida, anyway it is really good to stay in the centre very close to the metro!

the bedroom was very clean, the bed was big and comfortable, the position is very very good

Affordable accommodation in the heart of the city
    • Superior Single Room

The room could do with a small trash bin. The floor was slightly dusty, especially under the bed (the were small fluff balls). The water in the sink takes ages to become hot (in the shower it gets hot immediately though).

The staff was very friendly and helpful; on the arrival day they offered me an upgrade to a bigger room for free and provided me with some useful info to get around the city. They also looked after my luggage for a whole day after the checkout, as my flight was going to be very late at night and I still wanted to stroll freely around Madrid. The room was spacious and comfy.

Great no frills, but comfy, place in the middle of the action.

Room was cold at night. Common areas were warm enough but room quite cool. I was sick for two days whilst there (nothing to do with the accomodation) but it was more than my fever that was keeping things cool.

Great location and staff were friendly. Good budget accomodation right in the middle of everything (take earplugs as it’s noisy at night). Rooms aren’t huge but they are comfortable and have lovely exposed brick feature walls. Easy to find and a comfortable place to stay within walking distance of most of sights.

No complaints

The staff is extremely nice. They gave me an apartment. They were willing to accommodate a friend who was without a hotel. Ideal location if you wish to be right in the centre.

Fantastic.
    • Superior Single Room

Nothing. This hotel was great.

Fantastic price, location is amazing and withing walking distance (no more than 15 mins) to all major attractions, room had a balcony that overlooked a beautiful pedestrian street. Receptionists were super helpful and gave me a double room with a view as an upgrade without paying extra although I'm only oneperson. Room was cleaned daily and smelled fantastic upon my return. I'm definitely staying here the next time I visit Madrid!

...

Too noisy even though we stayed from Monday to Wednesday. Either noise from outside or other rooms. Internet not working properly during 80% of our stay.

Location was excellent and clean place.

The staff were excellent.

Because of the location it was noisy on Saturday night. But Sunday and Monday were fine. I'm a light sleeper and a pair of ear plugs sorted the problem. If you do like quiet, this isn't the spot for you though!

The staff were excellent. Everything we asked for was met. Our aircon wouldn't work and when we reported it someone came up within the hour and sorted it out. The bed was really comfortable. Location is spot on, in the middle of everything, we walked everywhere.

Better than expected, cute & lovely, great value.
    • Superior Single Room

The shower and bathroom were small, but that's what I expected.

Single bed was wider than I expected. New double glazed windows meant it was quiet. The furniture / small tables were perfect for laying out my belongings.

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.
    • Superior Single Room

The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. It's conveniently located to everything and especially close to Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol.

The staff and location made this place great. I'd return despite the small bathroom.

Bathroom very small.

Internet worked good and the staff were fantastic, setting me up with two extra pillows. So was the location - excellent, right near Puerta del Sol and a 5 minute walk to Plaza Mayor! Great central location for getting to all of the attractions; Prado, etc.

Clean, comfortable, easy to get to, very helpfull and...

It gets a little noisy at night as we can hear what's happening in the street.

Clean, comfortable, easy to get to, very helpfull and friendly staff. They even have a left luggage service with a bathroom. The location is perfect, close to major sights and Madrid s Monuments. I would definitely recommend it.

Clean, comfortable and ideally situated hostel – but don't forget your earplugs!

Due to its central location, it was quite loud, even with the windows closed. If like me, you don't like sleeping with earplugs and are easily woken by sudden noise from outside, then this could be a problem.

The room was nice and big, clean and with comfortable beds and the air-conditioning and shower worked just fine. The location is ideal – in the very centre of Madrid with easy access to many sights, museums, shops, bars, restaurants and supermarkets.

Not too great with speaking english.

Great location. We walked everywhere and never took a taxi. The guy in the lobby upgraded our room without any charge and was very helpful with whatever we needed. Washer and dryers were included in the apartment stay.

Is okay

The room is quite small and the leg space between the toilet and the wall is vevery narrow. I'm 5" feet tall only and i need to seat on the toilet with an angle.

The staff is very friendly. There's air conditioner in the room which is very nice in the hot summer. Very close to the metro and train station and the shopping area.

The location of the hotel allowed us to visit Madrid in a very short time.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

We enjoyed the hospitality and proffessionalism of the staff especially Mr. Arthur. We were very satisfied with the layout, cleanliness of the apartment and the location of the hotel.

Excellent location but the apartment lacked the charm of the rooms in photos
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

They 'upgraded' us to an apartment in the building next door, which was good as we had more space, but unfortunately it was really charm-less, and I was disappointed as the rooms in the photos looked so nice, with the brick and stonework etc...but ours had none of that, it was quite utilitarian really. And there were no bedside lamps, just overhead fluorescent bulbs. I feel like the apartments have not yet been refurbished whereas the room within the hostal have. Overall it was still good, because of the location, and after the disappointment of the first night we got used to it over the 3 days and it was fine.

The location was really excellent.

Very Nice and Full of Charm Appartment

The windows are single glasses so we can hear outside. But that may be the charm of Madrid's nights and a cozy appartment.

The staff was really warm and professional. We got an appartment at the 4th floor. The elevator is very charming. The location is pretty close to every tourist spots so we visited Madrid by feet from therer and that was really convenient. They have a 2€/luggage service if you want to leave your luggage after check out.

Nice hostal
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Everything was very good. Bathroom a bit too small, specially the shower boxes, but I'm not too sure how it could be remedied, though.

Excellent location, very near Plaza del Sol. Actually, "touristic" Madrid is so small that practically most attractions are at walking distance (even on a hot summer day at 40 degrees Celsius). Loved the decor of the place, one of the main reasons I chose this hostal. Staff very friendly, as well.

Stay right in the centre of Madrid!
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

Nothing. Our stay was perfect!

The comfort and the location of the hostel. You can walk to any point of interest! The staff was also very nice and helpful!

Amazing value in the heart of Madrid
    • Superior Single Room

The AC in one room didn't work but turned out to be no problem to leave the door open to the lounge where it worked just fine.

Amazing location right next to Sol; we loved our large family studio with two doubles and one room with bunk beds, well-equipped kitchen, patio.

This place was great, everything we needed for 4 days, very...

This place was great, everything we needed for 4 days, very close to puerta del sol metro station, right next to plaza mayor. At firs we thought it may be a noisy place to stay, but it was fine. It has Air conditioning which is great during summer

Great place in the heart of Madrid!
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The floor of the apartment was noisy while walking and could wake up others in the room. All the rest was great and we would definatelly stay here again!

Great location, you can find restaurants, metro, shoping area, many city attractions within the walking distance. Staff is very friendly.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Location within walking distance of the two main squares in...

A kettle and cups to make our own tea or coffee would have been appreciated.

Location within walking distance of the two main squares in Madrid was great. Bedroom was very roomy.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Top service, unbeatable location

The night street noise can be an issue to get to sleep. We used ear plugs.

We stayed in an charming apartment. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, allowed us to check-in much earlier than the standard check-in time as we've just landed from a 13h flight with a five year old.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Excellent location, value for money

Bathrooms are small. No view. Payment is deducted well in advance rather than on day of arrival

Location is excellent, walking distance to everything. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Why would anyone charge 1 euro for leaving the luggage for some hours after checkin?

- They charge 1 euro to leave bags after checkin. This bothered me a lot. Not even hostels do this. - No chair on the room - Staff was not very friendly

Good location, clean room. Room and bathrooms are small, but fine.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Really recommend Hostal Madrid. Lovely friendly staff, very clean and comfortable and fantastic loca
    • Superior Single Room

There was no coffee/tea or breakfast facilities - only a vending machine in the reception area and the coffee was poor quality. Sometimes quite noisy from other hotel guests loud talking until the early hours.

It was very central, and the room was really clean and comfortable.The staff were really friendly, asked me if everything was OK and greeted me every morning.Really central location -right in the middle of Madrid.

So central!
    • Superior Single Room

Internal courtyard windows offered little light and I had a room off the kitchen so it smelt - has aircon though.

So central! 20min walk max to everything in the city with main attractions literally on your doorstep.

A happy stay

the only drawback maybe poor wifi signal

We were a group of 3 but they gave us a room for 6. really appreciate it. good location and friendly staffs. overall we were happy to stay there.

everything cheap except of the tv

they say they have wifi, you can see many full nets but they rarely are connected a lot of strange noise and smells they charge to leave the luggage for several hours 1 euro/piece

only the position

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Beyond being excellent and great!comfy and clean..!

None.

Honestly speakingvery affordable hostal and They have very patient and kind staff..It's very clean,comfortable and accessible to to public transport and It's in the heart of the Center-Puerta De Sol..Excellent!!!I will book again next time..good job for the owner and the staff..👍👌

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Great location, friendly straff

The pressure on the water in the shower was a bit low.

Best location close to Puerto del Sol and Placa Major. Good beds. Friendly straff. Clean rooms. Nice and Old building!

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Comfortable stay, excellent location but lack of flexibility in booking terms

Flexibility in change of bookings which would mean that they really care about experience of the customers in their hostel

We stayed with 3 friends. Firstly, it is perfectly located. It was nice to escape from noise of the city just making one turn from Puerto Del Sol and we already were in our quite Hostal. Overall it was a nice and comfortable stay in Hostal Madrid, the room was always clean, the bathroom was comfortable to use- especially the water stream from the shower which is often an issue in hostels. The only thing was disappointing that we had to leave Madrid 1 day earlier due to changes in my friends' flights, but the Hostal management were not flexible to change our dates which was sad. So if you are planning to stay in this Hostal you need be 100% sure you won't have any changes in your days of staying. I mean it was high season time, I'm sure they would be able to find somebody to stay in our room not to loose the day. Since we communicated that well in advance. It would make us happy. But we were rejected.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Great location. Thin walls and ceilings though.

I was on floor 2 and it was very loud above me and the walls were very thin. Be prepared to be waken up at 6 am every day. Also, I was in the single room and the window opened to the smell of a Chinese restaurant.

The location was great. Central to everything but not a lot of traffic.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

The temperature in the room was a bit cold. Old type blanket were used, not duvet. Not recommended for mite allergic people.

Great location. Just two minutes by foot to Sol. Very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Good value in great location

Bathroom and toilet were separate (which was good) but very small with extremely tight fit in the shower.

Fantastic location extremely close to major metro station "Sol". Several minimarkets downstairs. Close to lots of fantastic bars. 24 hour staffed reception plus great King Size bed.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Superb position, lovely accommodation

The staff were so helpful from start to finish. My mother and I were travelling with a friend and her mother, and even though we had booked separately and been allocated 2 twin rooms, we were given a flat in the next door building with 3 on suite rooms, a kitchen and a balcony - fabulous!

Madrid was excellent

Incredibly noisy location, very poorly soundproofed. We hardly slept when there

The staff were very helpful. There were no croissants - doesn't serve breakfast

We booked a room in the hotel but actually lived in the...

Uncomfortable bed, old furniture, not enough clean room (dusty furniture and dirty floor).

We booked a room in the hotel but actually lived in the private apartment with kitchen. Perfect location: right in the city center; easy access to metro station Sol, close to restaurants and supermarkets. Friendly staff (helped us printing some docs and ordering taxi to the airport).

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Price/value

Three things that could be better: -Amenities -They give you the bill in a paper handwrite. -The little flashing light of the smoke detector. You should keep a smoke detector without that flashing, it woke me up and can be really annoying.

Good location, quiet room, good maintenance, clean, good wifi for work.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

First of all, the location.
    • Superior Single Room

No water heater for the hot water...but anyway, it would be really a worth the money choice!

First of all, the location. Only 1min from the hotel to downtown. So close!!! The reception personnel are friendly and helpful, room is clean.

Really enjoyed my stay, I'd come again

Great location, friendly staff.

Nice

Everything is very clean and comfortable. The people are very nice and helpful.

Amenities

Amenities

Great place in the centre

Bed was a little hard, weak shower

Location, access, friendly staff

Nothing. Everything was great.

Great location. Got an upgrade which was fantastic especially after a very long flight

Due to Pride festivities on nearby Plaza de Sol extremely loud until early morning.

Great location. Nice staff.

Great location,
    • Family Room (5 Adults)

Rooms toward the Calle Esparteros can be noicy at night. Have had rooms the other way earlier, and they was much more quiet.

Great location,

Great location near the Plaza Mayor and Puerto del Sol

The triple room was spacious and comfortable and the front desk staff was very nice and helpful.

Very friendly staff.

Very friendly staff. Comfortable place! Very near to the tourist attractions

Great location. I would stay there again.

Access to room

Fantastic location.

A great place

the location of the hotel was great. the staffs are very helpfull. everywhere in walking distance. I was very pleased.

Very good

Quiet and clean.
    • Superior Single Room

Quiet and clean. Very near the sights.

Awesome
    • Superior Single Room

It was great therefore nothing

I was upgraded to an apartment. The staff is very friendly

Everything.

Everything. Nice stuff, perfect location.

Loved the location and the room was very comfortable.

Loved the location and the room was very comfortable. Nice stone arches at the the windows with timber shutters to block out early sun and noise.

Hostal Madrid

A bit noisy at times.

Location and friendly staff.