Reviews of Hotel Madrid Plaza España, managed by Meliá 4 stars

Gran Via, 74, Madrid City Centre, 28013 Madrid, Spain

#286 of 327 hotels in Madrid

Lovely friendly staff!
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

Our room smelled of cigarette smoke; curtains didn't close properly; there was minimal sound proofing so all street noise kept us awake (7 floors up!).

Staff were lovely; location was very convenient.

The location is amazing .
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff could be more friendly

The location is amazing . Close to all the places and close to bars and restaurants. Location on the main shopping street

Not worth the money
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

The room was over priced for what we got. The air conditioning did not work and we were not told that it wouldn't work. We did not sleep for this reason and we were told there was air-conditioning when booking.

The location was good

• Double or Twin Room

Great staff in the hotel. We had some wierd smell in the bathroom and in 5 min a team came to fix it and in addition they offered us to switch the room. The breakfast was absoulutly great and the location as well. Thank you for great trip.

Great location for our trip to the city
    • Premium Double Room

Hotel looking a bit tired now. Not worthy of 4 star rating Attention to detail is needed. Room had dirty marks on the walls. Large leak in walk in shower. Only 1 robe and 1 pair of slippers but we were 2 guests. lack of tea, coffee and milk. Had to ask for items. Room cleaning bit ad hoc. bed made, bin emptied but bathroom ignored. Didn't spoil our stay as only there for 2 nights.

Hotel is in ideal location for all sights. large room and great view from large balcony over Madrid rooftops. Heating was very good as quite cold in February. Good buffet breakfast to start the day in nice restaurant area. Easily accessible from metro station Plaza De Espana

Was comfortable
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

a) starting to discover that a lot of hotels in europe are not providing tea/coffee/kettle in bedrooms. Maybe worth mentioning that on the criteria/description of hotels as it was a bit of a surprise. b) 8th floor on front street is great for views but quality of doors onto balcony we found they didn't close properly so if you need silence, choose back bedrooms or take earplugs and ask for 8th floor or above. We were on 8th floor, was very noisy, but we wanted view. c) maybe worth stating that the only english speaking TV channel was bloomburg so finance news only from America. Might be something, some English speaking tourists would like to have or need to state they don't mind in front description.

a) great bathroom and nice to have benvenida scribbled on mirror in bathroom. Lovely having bath towels on radiator so after shower they were hot - bliss b) friendly receptionists and cleaners c) mattresses were comfortable d) tips to see map with door cards was nice but in end the almond trees in blossom were probably later as we went to park but couldn't find them.

Great hotel despite nuisance
    • Double or Twin Room

Got woken up at 11pm with a phone call due to something being wrong with my booking, I had to get dressed and go down to reception to sort it. Turns out when I checked in the person put the wrong room number in their system which caused confusion. Had problem with room access after that with card also. Couldn't get wifi to work but was only staying one night so didn't worry about it. Broken mirror in bedroom

Great location, good breakfast range, lovely comfortable room, great comfy bed, power plugs next to bed

In general , enjoyed the location very much and explored the city shopping .
    • Double or Twin Room

Missed the coffee and tea in room ... more attention for the room cleaning .

The location is perfect and accessible . Staff is very helpful . Breakfast was good variety and well served . I loved the balcony in the room ..

Thoroughly enjoyable.
    • Premium King Room

It's easy to walk past as the sign post isn't particularly obvious or well lit.

The bed was massive and very comfortable. The location is perfect for exploring Madrid as it's right next to 'Plaza de Espana' Metro station.

The location was perfect.
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

In the room was kinda cold.

The location was perfect. Staff was very kind and no problem in communicating with them. Breakfast was very good and lots of choices.

Was a really nice hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Was a really nice hotel. Only critique was that my room got too warm and we couldn't seem to be able to adjust the temperature. The location was also average.

Great place, great location, great friendly staff. Definitely recommend this place.
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

The stairs going up to the reception area, been nice if there was a ramp for the luggage.

Great location. Hotel is in the center of Main Street of Madrid. Close to everything, perfect for tourists especially for first time visitors. Good spacious rooms with good views and balcony. Close to good restaurants and tourists attractions. Friendly and helpful staff.

It was a great stay, comfortable and good location.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bed was extra comfy, breakfast was just ok, ask for a high floor, street noise was very loud at night on the 4th floor, location was great, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Great location, a bit overpriced
    • Premium King Room

The staff wasn't smiling most of the time, wasn't much helpful. The price is little high too.

Amazing location, very central, on Gran Via, next to Plaza Espana, and near Chueca, with nice restaurants and bars there. The room was very big and nice, with a terrace.

Second time at this hotel and I will not come back.
    • Double or Twin Room

Second time at this hotel and I will not come back. I have not booked the breakfast due to a promotion, it was cheapest to pay the breakfast on the hotel. When I arrived at the breakfast room the waitress said the price of the breakfast to me. I said "ok". She repeated... I have told again "ok". She insisted "But you have to pay for the breakfast". I just asked her "Do you want me to stay or to go?" Then, they made me sign the invoice literally in the middle of the room, standing! They don't even wait like usual, for me to sit and sign in the table like in all the other hotels. On the second day I didn't even bother, I went to Starbucks and I was very happy. If I don't have a face that allows me to pay a breakfast at this hotel I prefer not to go there. The room they gave me this time was dirty. The corners were terrible and the curtains were just grey. The curtain that cuts the light doesn't even close, there was light on the room very early.

Excellent stay in Madrid
    • Family Room

Noise coming from the street especially durring Pride Gay events. Having double glass windows would be an added value.

The location is strategic at 74 Gran Via , just few meters from 54 Gran Via where is Madrid city tour bus station is located. Near to many restaurants, grocery shop. The breakfast was very nice. Very friendly staff at the restaurant and the front desk especially Santiago.

Madrid, I'LL BE BACK!! :)
    • Premium Double Room

I thought for about 10 minutes to find something that I didn't like... and no idea, even the smell of fish from the Mercado De Los Mostenses behind the hotel was amazing :)) ! Madrid is the best capital city in Europe.

Everything, the hotel is one of the best, the position is perfect, the breakfast was very good

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Great Location and Excellent breakfast
    • Double or Twin Room

Our room was on the last floor (11). Dont take a room in that floor, it was too noisy at the night as huge air conditioning equipment was nearby. However you get an extra balcony on the last floor. No slippers in the room, when we asked for slippers, they gave only one pair, even though room hosted 2 guests (where is logic, hotel staff?).

Great Location, clean hotel, excellent breakfast

Worst hotel in Madrid or Spain
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

Staff unfriendly, they never cleaned the rooms while we were there. And the AC never worked. We had to sleep with the door open thru both nights with the sounds of trucks, ambulances, people screaming, just Cao's. For the money we spent over $200 x night this is not a good hotel. We stayed at cheaper hotels $50 x night, cleaner and with better accommodations and friendlier staff. Wyndham (never again ) bathroom was an accident waiting to happen. Floors where uneven to say the least. Lamps broken, and bed linnens dirty. When we complaint, their answer was that it was a weekend and did not have staff. DO NOT COME TO THIS HOTEL OR CHAIN. There are cheaper an better hotels in Madrid. Do your homework

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Location, location location.

Based on pictures and room description guests get the impression it is 3 standard beds however it is really 2 standard beds and a roll-away. Further the picture with 3 beds seems to leave space in room, however the actual room is to tight with 3 beds. We would not recommend groups of 3 person to share a room in this hotel. The bath room was small and a bit out dated.

Location, location location. Easy access with metro from Airport to plaza espana Easy access to Bernabeu with metro at plaza espana Walking distance to many seights Lots of restaurants and cafe/bars nearby

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Room, location and breakfast was good, but the receptionist was annoying
    • Double or Twin Room

However i was very disappointed to find out when I arrived they don't have a parking lot, and when I searched for hotels with a parking lot Tryp Madrid plaza de España came up. When I asked the receptionist why they advertise they have a parking lot if they don't, he said because they use the public parking lot at a nearby street, however it was full, and we weren't able to park. The receptionist (it was a him) also told me I had an attitude, just because I asked him few questions, one of these why advertise they have parking lot, and when he gave me the check in paper to sign I briefly stop to read what I was signing, and he asked me why I have to read it, if it that paper it's just the check in. I was really calm because I was really tired, but he was reeeeeeally annoying me, wanting to give me a lecture about why I ask the questions I asked. Overall I liked the room and the breakfast was good, but he made me uncomfortable. He tried to sound pleasant, but it was too late when he tried

I really like how convenience the location was, and the room was fine.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Friendliness of staff
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

Air condition in room was pn automatic and could not be modified. Noise from back yard (poorly isolated windows) Value for money

Friendliness of staff

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

Quite a pleasant overnight stay on our way home from Morocco
    • Double or Twin Room

The lift broke down as we were going for breakfast and we spent some time going up and down without stopping at floors. Fortunately there were some Spanish guests in the lift with us! Unfortunately though this made us a little late for breakfast - the staff didn't seem bothered that we were late because of the lift and carried on clearing away whilst we were making our choices.

The area unquestionably convenient being a short walk from the Metro station. The room was comfy and light.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

We were relocated to another room due to the initial room given to us was sub-standard (a room on the 2nd floor in real need of TLC and also facing the rear of the property). The new room was fantastic! Beautifully lite, clean, new, great bathroom, heating system worked well, beds very comfy, quiet and well designed. The hotel is excellently located, meters from Plaza de España metro.

Premium rooms are HUGE and comfortable. Wifi problems and Hot Water issues...
    • Premium King Room

As seems to be true of EVERY hotel I have stayed at in Madrid - and it is quiet a few, the Wifi is not great - do not expect greater than 2Mps. The pop-up Login page is SLOW to show up and needs to be renewed at least daily for each device. Half of the time, our Wifi did not function. I am well versed in computer networking and just gave up and used my personal phone hot spot. Also - our other stay at this hotel did not have this issue - but room 5508 had VERY low and spotty hot water. Every 5 minutes or so, the water would get very cold during a shower.

Premium room is huge and VERY quiet with good insulated windows and not facing onto Gran Via. This is the second time staying at this hotel

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Great location in the heart of Madrid
    • Double or Twin Room

Amazing location, straight into the heart of Madrid. Breakfast was very good. Our initial booking did not include it, but we were offered full breakfast at a discounted price. Reception was also very helpful. They kept our luggage after our check out, so we were able to go around the city until our flight.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Excellent location
    • Premium Double Room

Room was spacious and being at the back of the hotel avoided any noise from traffic on the Gran Via. Staff were very good. Hotel is within walking distance of many of Madrids attractions. Recommended.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Great location cannot fault that! Just needs some TLC
    • Double or Twin Room

Rooms weren't cleaned even with the sign on the door. Cleaners just walked in without knocking on x 3 occasions. Also if you do not have the premiere suit, you will and I mean you really will be sharing the 1 and only iron amongst the rest of the hotel guests!!

The location was brilliant! The hotel is okay nothing major, to UK standards like a Premier Inn. Didn't think it was worth the money at the time,however you may be able to get a cheaper hotel, but most certainly will be paying for taxi's or underground. Overall i will say this is perfectly located and would rate it a 6.5/10. Its got all the basics and keeps you well in the centre to explore Madrid at its best.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Madrid
    • Double or Twin Room

It was like the staff was working against their will. Anything u asked for was too much , and even a smile was difficult. Roomservice didnt clean the room for 2 days , even when it was explicit asked.

Nice decorated rooms , very good location.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Great room, great location and service.
    • Premium King Room

Poor air conditioning. Never got it to cool down despite even calling maintenance. Unpleasant night in hot summer days.

Great room, great location and service.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

Location and overall not a bad hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

The gym was appropriately called a minigym: no free weights and not many machines at all. It was often crowded too. Hoepfully you manage to expand it soon. Smokey room: asked for a smoke free room but my room always smelt like someone had been smoking in it. Broken mirror in our room.

Location and overall not a bad hotel. Very clean. Prices could be lower considering the neg. aspects

The comfort of the room, the localization
    • Double or Twin Room

The smoking floor because of the smell

The comfort of the room, the localization

• Double or Twin Room

The temperature of the room was very hot.

Great location your right where all the action is lady at the front desk was very helpful

The lady who worked the front desk was very nice and helpful

Fabulous
    • Family Room

Tiny bit noisy from the street below.

Huge double bed, great bathroom, very clean and centrally located. I totally recommend it!

No ramp in the first stairs.
    • Double or Twin Room

No ramp in the first stairs.

Great stay at the hotel.

None.

Great location and staff.

Too small bedroom

• Double or Twin Room with City View

The hotel is not for work travellers, the facilities are really poor and definitelly is not a 4 stars, It is a budget hotel instead

The aircon in the room was very loud and didn’t really do...
    • Premium King Room

The aircon in the room was very loud and didn’t really do much to cool the room, had to resort to opening the balcony door

Sunk cost at all

Overall a bad choice

Checking out

Normal room more cosyDecor Decoror room

Normal room more cosyDecor Decoror room

Great value with lovely staff and excellent location
    • Double or Twin Room

no hot water in afternoon after a run. Air conditioning didn't seem to work.

Location. Value. Facilities. spacious rooms.

Overall very good

Location good

Dirty,very bad bed,uncomfortable

Location good

Bad stay

Bad staff Bad commincation No saftey

I have been robbed My money was in the safety box and when i was checking out i found nothing inside

The smell of the pizza on our rom in the second floor was so...
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

The smell of the pizza on our rom in the second floor was so embarrassing!!

• Double or Twin Room with City View

no restaurant or cafeteria no room coffee facility. Any room service had to be ordered from outside from a fast food outlet

Perfect location, 10 min walk to city centre. The bed was

The bed was extra comfy

Disapponting
    • Double or Twin Room

We asked for a new room. The beds had springs sticking into our ribs. The room was TINY!!!

The breakfast buffet was good.

Great location only
    • Double or Twin Room

Small bathroom. Need to be renovated

Location. Closed to train station

Brilliant
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast absolutely amazing. All staff so friendly.

Very nice hotel, good location, good breakfast.

Very nice hotel, good location, good breakfast. Everything was great.

best cost benefit
    • Double or Twin Room

Double bedroom without double bed, they used the single bed grouped together

Good localization; Good price;

amazing and i like the location and breakfast.
    • Double or Twin Room

I like everything in the hotel

excellent stay in all means and advise everybody to use this hotel, the staff is very helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

the location of the hotel is amazing, the breakfast is excellent. ask for special rates for breakfast which is reasonable.

Rooms are worn down. Lacking maintenance.

No parking within hotel you have to pay 26$ per day for parking

Great location with helpful staff

Towels were too old

Selection of foods at breakfast The staff friendly and very helpful

Air conditioner wasn't working in room 6606

Air conditioner

Air conditioner wasn't working in room 6606

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

The location is great.
    • Double or Twin Room

It does not worth the price, expensive!

The location is great.

Location very good, nice hotel, clean, breakfast tasteful...
    • Double or Twin Room

Location very good, near m.plaza de espana and easy to reach to the airport, nice hotel, clean, breakfast tasteful...

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The staff were so rude and unhelpful

The staff were so rude and unhelpful

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

OK - great location!
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

No double bed.... We prefer rooms with a coffee maker in the room

The only problem was that they did not have a double bed - only twin beds

Good place to visit
    • Double or Twin Room

It was a little expensive

Attitude of staff and location

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Good location, nice spacious rooms, helpful staff, decent...
    • Double or Twin Room

Good location, nice spacious rooms, helpful staff, decent internet

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Location on the Gran Via near to many places of interest

Smelling hallways, also too small bathrooms

Location on the Gran Via near to many places of interest

Good hotel

Poor insulation and noizy

Good breakfast, great location.
    • Double or Twin Room

Very long check in time. No standard info when checking in.

Good breakfast, great location.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

BREAKFAST WAS AMAZING GREAT CHOICES

RECEPTION AREA NOT VERY WELCOMING

BREAKFAST WAS AMAZING GREAT CHOICES

Will defitely return with family
    • Double or Twin Room with City View

Large room with balcony .very helpful staff .best location .fantastic breakfast .lovely fresh pastries

Good value for money, but not a 4*

Room was quite run down, bathroom doors and floor were in quite poor state.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017