Reviews of Hostal Lorca 2 stars

Mendez Nuñez, 20, 29780 Nerja, Spain

#19 of 27 B&Bs and Inns in Nerja

• Double or Twin Room

The property is quite nice and has a good location but it is managed in really weird way: * trash is not taken out every day. * ants are encountered everywhere: kitchen, room, bathroom, refrigerator, and even your suitcase. * the hostess doesn't allow cooking in the *kitchen*. * my food disappeared form the refrigerator.

• Double or Twin Room

The pictures of the kitchen are not accurate. There are two different kitchens on pictures, but only the smaller one was available.

Hosts were very friendly and helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Everything else. The owners had no concept of their guests requirements for QUIET. Noisy noisy noisy.The owners had no concept of their guests requirements for QUIET. We were checked in for the weekend by the owner. The property is very noisy and not from outside but inside. People where still talking in the communal area at 1 in the morning as there is no soundproofing we could hear every word or should I say shout. The next night the owners checked in some clients around midnight stood outside our door and talked in a very loud voice for about 10 minutes then they went to the communal area again where the noise was atrocious. This continued for some time at least 1.30 in the morning .The same both mornings really loud and noisy as staff plodded around the place from 7.30 ish in the morning. The room is like a monks cell bed was comfortable but nothing else. Will not return here ever

The bed

• Double or Twin Room

No one was there to let me in when I arrived despite having confirmed my arrival time with the owners. When the owner eventually arrived an hour later he requested payment up front which was fine but when I asked for a receipt I was just given a business card with the amount paid and his signature scrawled on it. I had to insist on a proper receipt which seemed to ruffle a few feathers. Things went further downhill from here. I found out too late that there is a bakery just opposite and the noise from it kept me awake all night long. When I complained and asked if it would be possible to move to a quieter room I was told that I was too sensitive to noise (in other words it was my problem, not the owners') and that it was too late to change rooms as the cleaning lady had already left (not sure why the owner was not able to clean the room....?). So I basically spent two out my three nights there without any sleep. Also as others have mentioned the quality of the bedding (small lumpy pillows) and towels (as soft as sand paper) is pretty poor even by budget hostel standards. All in all a rather unpleasant stay.

Short walk from the bus station

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing it was all excellent

Lovey and excellent accommodation in the heart of nerja friendly owners who will help advise on anything you need rooms are great with comfy beds powerful showers the garden and pool area is a nice peaceful relaxing area I would recommend the Lorca to anyone

• Double or Twin Room

The room we got this time was extremely humid. Pack your mosquito repellent.

Lovely place and lovely owners, and very close to the bus stop - perfect for those who don't have a car. A sweet small pool and a nice patio are an added bonus.

• Double or Twin Room

My room :| I came with my two children and my friend and her son and we had two rooms. We asked for rooms on the garden side (so we could sit in the garden in the evening but still hear the kids if they were to wake). However, I was put in the room furthest from the garden, right by the front door and street. And my friend was put in the room next to me. It was very noisy at night if the window is open (motorbikes, people talking as they pass throughout the night, whether it be Saturday night or Monday night - the street is about a metre away from the bed) and very hot if it is not (the ceiling fan had little effect as it is slow). No privacy if the curtains are open - so you either have to embrace it, or keep the curtains closed (so a dark room in the day). I did ask to move rooms, but there was nothing else available. It was suggested to me that I was ultra-sensitive (not the case at all - I usually sleep like a log!) as other guests do not complain about that room. I was also accused of not having told them I was bringing the children - I was baffled by this, and I also did not see how it was relevant to street noise and room heat. (Although the kids had a very unsettled night the first night - we all did - and they likely disturbed the other guests: sorry!) I have just checked the booking email and I did in fact "declare" both kids and gave their ages. When pushed, Femma did try to make amends, to include getting a desk fan from the cellar - we all slept fine with the desk fan on and the window closed. It is odd that the rooms on the street are not priced cheaper than the rooms over the garden. Conclusion?: the room you get will make or break your experience. Hostal Lorca has many good points, so I would go back BUT only if guaranteed a garden room.

Lots of great points: - Lovely pool and garden area - So convenient to have water, soft drinks and wine available to buy and at reasonable prices too - Very clean - Friendly welcome - Free use of parasols and beach mats - Great location (unless you room is on the street side - see below) - close to the bus stop if you are arriving by bus or want to do trips e.g. to Frigiliana, a nice stroll to the beach, the square nearby is great for breakfast, it's a pleasant street, which is much calmer/quieter than being in the thick of it by the Balcon (but still noisy at night).

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing really just I'd replace fans for air conditioning but this would not stop me staying again as the Lorca is excellent

This hostel is the best in Nerja we have been here twice now the rooms are excellent roomy and very clean the beds are very comfy, Femma and Rick are lovely hosts who will do everything to make your stay as happy as possible, the pool area is a little tranquil oasis quite peaceful and a great place to chill out, the hostel is a little walk to everything you need shops bars and excellent tapas bars and a five minute walk to the famous Balcon so an excellent base.

• Apartment with Terrace

We stayed in an apartment within the Hostal and it was very clean but basic. Double bedroom bed was really comfy and slept really well. Bathroom could have been a little better but appreciated the rustic feel of the whole place, very spanish. More than adequate for what we wanted for the few days we were there. We didn't use all the facilities but the hostal has a small pool which looked really lovely and other guests were using everything.

• Double or Twin Room

The noise in the morning within the hostal was very loud, especially if people were leaving early. The pillow was not very comfortable.

The couple who own the hostal were so helpful, friendly and efficient. The room was basic but adequate. Having the use of the kitchen was great. The pool was a bonus and the area outside was lovely.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The towels seemed old, and contrary to other client reviews were not changed every day unless requested. There was no bath mat supplied and the shower was a simple arrangement in the bath with a shower curtain.

The hostal was near the bus station for a trip to Malaga and the caves. The pool area was very relaxing. The property was on a quiet road only a fifteen minute walk to the beach. It was close to good restaurants and shopping. The use of the kitchen was a bonus. There was a large supermarket close by.

• Double or Twin Room

Had a ground floor room at the front so a little noisy, but the hostel was busy.

Very good value for money, friendly owners, lovely pool, nice to have access to kitchen facilities. Would go back.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

We would have liked two sets of keys as you need a key to enter the hostel as well as the room, and if I went off on my own I couldn't get back in later! Also someone had to let me out! Wasn't a huge problem as we just arranged to meet somewhere.

Lovely friendly hosts. The room was basic, but very clean and the beds were comfy. Good shower with plenty of hot water. Hostel is in a quiet area so the only noise was from other guests all of whom kept to the 'quiet after midnight' Rule. The small kitchen was a bonus although we didn't use it. There is a goodwill bar with water, soft drinks and beer at €1 each. The little courtyard is a real sun trap and the pool is great for cooling off - the water was v cold in April though! We were a family of 3 so had an extra bed in the room, we still had plenty of room to move about though. We really enjoyed our break at Hostel Lorca and would definitely stay again. Nerja is a lovely little town with good tapas bars and restaurants. The Burriana Beach area is more touristy but the beach is nice. We found prices to be very reasonable - cheaper than we expected. Days in April are warm and sunny and you could sunbathe on the beach, but evenings are very chilly! A visit to Frigiliana is a must, and we liked browsing the market too.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

We Stayed at Hostel Lorca and had to leave after 4 nights. The owners were the staff who we found less than personal and only interested in money. The room was very Sparce of any comfortable furniture. There was no draw space only hanging space in a small wardrobe we had to keep most of our clothes in the suit case it was that or the floor. The bed linen felt damp we were put in a room in the eves. The kitchen in the basement was very hard work with no lift. We asked for a room on lower floor and offered a room so dark it was like a cupboard and no natural light. We asked to be considered if another room become vacant. After 4 nights we could take no more and had to find somewhere else. We are both in a our Sixties and my husband uses a stick to walk. We spoke to owner explained we had to move and asked if they could refund our last 3nights. They showed no compassion and were not interested. I am sorry but I cannot recommend this place only warn people of our experience.

We moved Out. To Hostel Nerja Sol. Who were very accommodating it was a pleasure to stay there. And good value for money.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

My room, Grenada, was right on the street, which was less quiet than not, but hey, it's a village, so doesn't get that noisy. If I had liked Nerja itself more, I probably would have loved the neighbors' friendly-sounding conversations and bursts of song. As far as décor, the middle-age wood furniture is not my style, but the vibrant red wall was a wonderful touch.

Having a bathtub was such a plus, funny little short deep thing that it was. Femma and Rick are lovely and super informative, and yes, the kitchen area, though squishy when full, was adequate. Big supermercado just around the corner, as is the bus stop. Short walk past the bus stop down into the riverbed and 2ish hour hike up to Frigiliana was the undeniable highlight of my stay.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

everything was fantastic!! the location, the price, and especially the host lady was really nice and cheerful :D i'm planning to go Nerja again, some other day.. definetely choose this place again!!

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Perfect little, familiar hostal att a quiet street, right in the historical part of Nerja. Very friendly owners who helped with info etc. Extra plus for the pool, our kids really enjoyed it.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Room was basic

I loved the fact that there is a kitchen and a fridge. It was lovely to eat breakfast outside every morning. No fuss or hustle and bustle. Lovely and peaceful

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Some hooks in the room would be useful. When you're travelling you always have things you need to hang up or beach things to dry out.

Friendly owner. This is not a hostel but a guesthouse. You have your own private room and bathroom. Mixture of ages staying here which I liked. Quite a few older people. Real character about the building. Looks tiny from the street but us a tardis inside! Lovely little pool and gardens for an end of day dip. Ask for a room looking into the pool / garden.

• Double or Twin Room

No wifi, but not a big deal Towels were really rough and old No air conditioning, there was a fan but didn't really cool down room No full length mirror and bathroom mirror was full of trying to do make up, thankful I brought my own vanity mirror

The staff were fabulous, so friendly and welcoming and told us about a lovely river walk that was beautiful. Guests were trusted to take drinks from the fridge and pay upon departure which was a nice touch. Buildimg and rooms were clean. Balcony doors could be kept open at night for air. Beds and pillows were comfy. Really homely and welcoming atmosphere. We stayed in a first floor room facing the pool, it was really pretty and quiet. It was about a 10- 15 minute walk to the main centre and beaches, which was fine. 2 minute walk from the bus stop to Malaga. Loved it here and would stay again :)

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Our room was in the basement so a little dark. More lighting would have been better.

Great value for money. Basic, but what you would expect for what we paid.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Better air con, should have a noise time limit for guests after 11pm i.e. Music and talking loudly in their rooms for the consideration for other guests staying there.

Location to town centre, relaxing atmosphere, friendly staff. Room and bed comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Nothing it was amazing

Everything About this Hostel is excellent from the moment you arrive you know this place is special, The owners Femma and Rick were amazing people they will help with everything no matter how little or small giving you advice and guidance about everything you need to know about Nerja and the area, the rooms are very clean and tastefully and modern decorated with lovely comply beds the shower is great very powerful, they have a kitchen area were they have a honesty book for your drinks were everything is 1 euro we loved the pool area it we very tranquil place chilled and with lovely plants and palms very Moroccan, this place i would highly recommend its in a very central place near to everything and best of all is its value for money

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Hostal Lorca is a peaceful sanctuary from the heat and bustle of Nerja town with a beautiful outdoor area containing a small pool and pretty shaded areas to relax in and escape the sun.The hosts are friendly but not intrusive and the rooms simple but perfectly adequate. It is conveniently situated in the quaint old town and still only a 5 min walk from the beach. Very good value and somewhere I would love to return to.

Water in shower not always warm enough

Lovely building and great outside space with pool.

• Double or Twin Room

the beaker in the bathroom the noice on saturdayevening

the garden was beautifull and the location in the old center was perfect.

• Double or Twin Room

The pillows were very uncomfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

Beautiful garden area, close to centre, lovely owners

• Double or Twin Room

It was not so easy to dry towels and swimming suits. It would be good to have access to the roof top veranda.

It was clean and staff very friendly.

• Double or Twin Room

Noisy pipes/ flushing from upstairs toilets / rooms above.

Very helpful owner and lovely patio/ pool area out back.

• Double or Twin Room

Had a great stay and would return

• Double or Twin Room

Polite and helpful staff a brilliant place to stay will be back next year

• Double or Twin Room

The shower at the pool was hidden away behind trees etc.

The welcome was great and included all we needed to know about the hostel.

Room and bathroom rather small.

Lovely relaxt atmosfere with area to sit, cook and drink downstairs at the pool.

Nothing all good

Location basic but clean friendly value

Too noisy Very small room No tv or air con Too many steps

Garden and pool

Shower was very small

The peacefulness and the back garden with the pool

• Double or Twin Room

The towels could be better and another pillow would have been welcome.

Lovely garden with plunge pool and handy kitchen for making drinks etc

Noise during night before Good Friday

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Great location, well run and good value.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

A hob in kitchen would be good. And I never did find kitchen light !

Excellent location and staff

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Amazing place, friendly, helpful staff. Fantasia location.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Better than expected great place and great location .Staff and guests friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

toilet in lobby

very relecing and layback helpfull

• Double or Twin Room

The room was really damp.

It was quiet and clean. The hostel itself was good and staffs were very kind

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

It really would benefit from a gas stove or even just an electric rings to cook on.

Great garden

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Just a great place to stay and very clean.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

very shabby facilities, needs updating and decoration. more like a backpacker's hostel than the traditional Spanish hostal.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The small pool area is a great facility but the pool chairs were uncomfortable and could be replaced with proper reclining sunbeds.

Comfortable beds

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Really friendly staff. Perfect location. Clean rooms and new towels every day! Will be back for sure

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Very helpful staff

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Nothing. All good.

Excellent location. Owners are very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Amazing location, friendly staff, clean and cosy. Have a pool in a hostel is just amazing!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2016

I loved everything about this little gem. A couple of tiny small problems that the owners dealt with quickly, efficiently. It was a really enjoyable stay. Beds were comfy. Courtyard with pool a mini haven! Slightly out of the busy area of town, but near enough to wander in. Loved it!

• Reviewed: 4 April 2016

Room and bathroom good value for sure but could use a little maintenance at some small points

Nice garden and common room + kitchen, soft drinks available in the fridge, pleasant contact with owner!

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

you have to be aware that beginning of March the weather is unstable. nights are quite cold. room heats up only by a radiator (not enough to produce a cozy warm atmosphere).

very nice hosts. room serves the purpose. just two single beds a tv and a bathroom. possibility to use the kitchen to make breakfast and prepare snacks is great.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2015

The wifi signal is not very strong unless you are in the kitchen.

Great location. 10 min walk from town centre but in a quiet street. Would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2015

Fabulous couple who couldn't do enough to help especially when I was unwell. Met some great people and its a wonderful bonus having a pool in the garden to have a dip when it gets really warm.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2015

Ceiling fan was very noisy, sounds like metal against metal, gets noisier the longer it is on.

Nice pool view, easy to find, personal touches. Good location, lots of available touristy information.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2015

Only one cushion. Though I'm sure I could have asked for another, but as we were only staying one night I didn't. WiFi gets turned off late at night.

Lovely hostal, the plunge pool and garden are excellent. Friendly host with good sense of humour. Good facilities. We always try to stay here when in Nerja.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2015

The couple that run the hostal were really friendly and helpful with ideas of where to go. The garden and small pool were very pretty and the kitchen was good to make breakfast in. You can help yourself to beer wine and water and just pay when you leave.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2015

The abrupt welcome we had, the basic rooms, the fact you could hear the bathrooms in other rooms. Free breakfast advertised but there is no breakfast!! Otherwise good place to stay.

Loved the fact it was a small hostel. Loved the private courtyard where you could sit out with food and drinks. Honesty policy.. Wrote your name in the book for drinks used. Pool is small but adequate.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2015

Friendly,clean,good location and great value for money !!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2015

Great value, location and friendly owner. Lovely little garden with small pool and afternoon sun

• Reviewed: 10 August 2015

very nice and quiet atmosphere, tle little green garden and the little swimmingpool

• Reviewed: 23 July 2015

No cooling, very noisy street, very small room, not much storage space, very rough towels...

Nice area, nice garden and pool.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2015

The helpful hosts and lovely outdoor patio and overall relaxed atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2015

Very nice hosts, the possibility to take a sunshade for the beach

• Reviewed: 7 June 2015

Really dark room Bed not great

Kitchen Nice patio area Convenient for bus and town centre Nerja is fantastic!

• Reviewed: 17 May 2015

The owners were not around early in the morning but they do have good problem solving skills

They have a left over food' recycling system'

• Reviewed: 11 May 2015

Good location, easy to find, clean, smaller kitchen but clean, nice staff, recommendable

• Reviewed: 28 April 2015

very basic accomodation

free parking available a short distance away

• Reviewed: 5 April 2015

Er friendly place

• Reviewed: 21 March 2015

Kitchen just a microwave

Wonderful place to stay. We stayed 8 days.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2015

The owners were very friendly and helpful. The garden with pool is lovely and sheltered in the heart of the town.

There are also 25 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.