Reviews of Hostal Marlasca 2 stars

Cruz, 14, 2, Madrid City Centre, 28012 Madrid, Spain

#255 of 372 B&Bs and Inns in Madrid

Based on 2027 hotel reviews

I thought this was a really good value for money kind of...

I thought this was a really good value for money kind of place. As a solo traveller the single room was very roomy and it had everything I needed. Plus the AC worked well and after a long day walking around madrid it was great to be able to come back and cool off in my room. The location couldn't be better and the staff were really helpful. It's not luxury, but it exceeded my expectations for its price range and I would definitely stay there again.

Amazing stay.

We booked the triple room and it was really nice and confortable. The only thing I would recommend is that for the third person there would also exist a power plug next. To the bed.

The hostel is really beautiful. The decoration fits somehow and there was no noise (although the hostel is big). Very central!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The place was ok but the towel situation really ruined our stay in what was a very hot summer.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

We we very disappointed to learn upon arrival that we could only get clean towels every second day. This should be known before booking. Very hot summer and needed more clean towels. Also needed a floor towel.

The fact that the main desk was opened 24 hours.

in the heart of Madrid
    • Quadruple Room

The Hostal is just in the heart of Madrid in a very lively area,its easy to find, just 2 minutes walking from Sol metro station.. The rooms are big and comfortable. There is a free wifi provided by the hostal

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Location was just excellent, close to the centre and food!

They only provided clean towels every two days. We didn’t know and used all our towels to clean the wet bathroom floor.

Location was just excellent, close to the centre and food! Everything near was within walking distance. Air con and wifi was on point.

Bad start, good finish
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

We arrived on Saturday at 13.40, 20 minutes before check in and were told to wait. The staff at the front desk told us that we may wait a little bit longer because it is a busy day and we said ok. He also told us there is a storage room with unit working with 2 euros in case we want to leave. We put our luggage there and made some phone calls. Around 2 o'clock my husband wanted to put the back pack before we leave but it turned out 2 euros is required every time you open the unit, which we were not told. So he just went to ask the staff about the condition of our room to avoid paying that. The staff suddenly started speaking in a very rude manner and told him that he already told us to wait, there are 90 rooms to be cleaned, how would he know etc. I was in another room but could hear them because his voice was below the average. He only stop talking until we got angry complain about his rude behavior. I understand you can be busy, but this is no reason to be rude to customers.

Location was perfect and the building itself was very beautiful. The staff who helped us during our check out on sunday was really nice.

The location was great.
    • Quadruple Room

It's a good location but it's very noisy at night. Our room was facing the street with balcony. Not sure if you get other rooms that don't face the street will be less noisy. Also, the shower drain was very slow to drain. Reported it to front desk but no one came to fix it.

The location was great. Close to all the points in madrid centre.

Good but noisy!
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

They have a good room but the sound proof of the room is not good enough. Since it is near the bars, you have to know that you might not get good sleep. Also I was able to hear the sounds from the other rooms.

The reception is 24h and the people there is kind. Also AC in such a hot weather of Spain really helps. The bed was comfortable enough even though the pillows were a bit dirty. We also liked the small terrace in the room.

1.Location is perfect

1. When I came, my room was not clean enough (especially bathroom) then they fixed it 2.No fridge 3.Noisy in the evening because of a lot children stayed inside hostel

1.Location is perfect 2.Personal is good

Location is amazing.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Noise from the street during the weekend was too much due to teenagers screaming all the time. Walls are so thin that you can hear EVERYTHING from the neighbors' room. Only 1 new toilet paper roll every 2 days.. Really? You can't close the bathroom door because the door is made purely of glass. Only one really long pillow to share between 2 people.

Location is amazing. Staff is really friendly.

Good location, but ask if AC is on and if lift works before booking.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Air Con on, and a lift... or at least to tell the truth on the website. I would have booked other property should I had known that there was no lift or AC. I booked this hotel specifically because the room had Air Con and a lift. I arrived to the place with my suitcase to find out that the lift did not work, so I had to go 2 floors by stairs with my suitcase. Once I checked in, I was given room in the 4th floor, which was another 2 floors by stairs... after I arrived to the room I tried to turn on the Air Con (it was 30 degrees) and it did not work. I asked at the reception and the receptionist (very friendly, not his fault) said the AC was not connected "because it's not yet summer, you shuld open the window to get fresh air". That night I could not sleep, 30 degrees out, and mosquitoes because the opened window. I asked for a refund but they did not want to give it to me. Even if they promised a room with lift and AC and they did not deliver any. In the end they change my rooms next day, which was OK but the first night was wasted and I still had to go 4 floors by stairs.

location was good and staff tried to accomodate the requests as much as they could.

Perfect location!
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

We were in twin room and it was great. Location is perfect, in center were is lot of restaurants and pubs, 100 meter from Puerta del Sol, main city square. Staff was very pleasure, explained how to go to airport in night hours..

Excellent location; lots of restaurants nearby, short walk from Sol Metro station

Lift was out of order Nowhere to put toiletries in the shower; very few places to put things in the bathroom As a suggestion, coat hooks near door would be nice; and a mirror in the bedroom (only one was in the bathroom).

Helpful reception staff carried bags for us. Felt safe - 24 hour coverage, locked access to each floor. Safe in the room (key operated 50c each time to lock it) Luggage storage after checkout was a large locker with a key (€2 coin needed) Linen changed every two days very pleasant. Excellent value for money.

Disappointed with the property and mainly because Lift didn't work all through our 4 night stay

Lift was not working. I was traveling with 1 child and 2 seniors who had to climb 3 steep floors all through the 4 days. We had a lot of luggage as well as this was a 1 month vacation. Booking.com says the property has AC however the person at the reception rudely refused stating that the hostel has AC only from June to August. However, no where is this mentioned on their reservation. The entire floor was super noisy and the guests didn't bother to care about other residents even at 1 am or 2 am at night. The hostel is old style with doors that have just 1 key which in my opinion is inconvenient if my spouse needs to get inside the room while I'm asleep/out of the property. Very disappointed with the property upkeep. Washbasin was clogged all through our stay. I would recommend not to stay at this property because better options are available at the same location in same amount or a little more.

Location is great. But it gets very noisy in the evening.

It’s Central and from there you can get everywhere

Well ,the lift went out of order.....it’s a very big inconvenience when you are situated at lev 2 or 3 at the hostal and you’re having a big luggage, and some health problems. This a was a very big issue for me.

It’s Central and from there you can get everywhere

If you want to party and not sleep this place might be great.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Staff was friendly and good location but soooooooo loud. We got the room right off of the check in so we not only had the loud phone ringing we also had a ton of street noise. Could not sleep at all. Room was also very hot and a/c was not working.

Staff was friendly and good location also clean.

Great location. Good 24hr access to hotel and friendly staff.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

We booked three rooms. One for a couple and two were for single people, but the website didn't seem to allow for single rooms when we booked. When we got there it was clear that they expected 6 people, but didn't offer us different rooms or a different price. As I had friends with me I didn't want to make a fuss, but I think it cost us more than it should have. Also one shower didn't seem to work properly.

Very enjoyable

I didn’t dislike anything, the relationship between price, quality and location is very good.

Location is perfect, close to major landmarks in Madrid, good restaurants, shopping and very friendly and helpful staff.

The price exceeded the value of the place

The bathroom was small. The shower was in a bad position. The smell of the bathroom took over all of the bedroom. The price was way too high for an hostal and the facilities it offerred.

It was close to everything in Madrid. Very good location

Perfect location
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

I did not get a drink as booking has promised me :) Well, may be only that they do not give you an access to the air conditioner, I did not need it though. And only a few channel on TV (if you intend to watch it at all).

Perfect location for tourists. Plenty of restaurants around and in fact in the heart of Madrid. The hostal was clean, the room was comfortable.

Clean, charming decor in a well-located property. Good for a short stay.

The room, referred to as a "triple," contained three single beds jammed together in a space that is better suited to two singles or one double. There was no reading lamp for the third bed, and only one night table for all three. The bathroom, tiny but freshly and stylishly renovated, seems to need a few more touches, such as wall/door hooks for towels, etc. and small shelves near the sink for toiletries since the counter is very small. More than four towels for three adult guests would have been appreciated. Little sound-proofing between bathroom and sleeping area. We were required to head down to the front desk to request glasses for the room, and received cheap plastic cups.

The location (near Puerta del Sol, Paseo del Prado, Buen Retiro Park) is excellent, the décor in common areas of the hostal is interesting and unique. We arrived at 11 am and appreciated being permitted to check into our room (hadn't been in use the night before) early. Room is freshly decorated and clean; there are extra blankets for chilly nights. The balcony overlooking the street is attractive. The (paid) lockers for storing luggage before check-in and after check-out is a convenient touch.

Cheap, clean, comfortable and spitting distance from the center of Madrid.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Walls were a bit thin, and occasionally you could hear other guests or the telephone ringing in the middle of the night.

Professional staff, clean rooms, excellent location and very reasonable price.

Goed

We arrived in the morning around 6.00 but there was no problem for us to check in already. Very nice to have a 24h reception and the location is perfect. Simpel classic hostel but charming.

If you get a very low price it is worth it.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The room was very small, with no view, a very bright emergency light was on all night so you could practically read; the double room had only one small towel and two large ones that where changed every other day. You had to pay 2 euros to leave your luggage for the day.

The location, the price, the room was clean and the bed very confortable.

Great location,pack a towel!!

No fresh towels,and even on asking if I could purchase fresh dry towels I was unable to. Pot luck on size and standard of room,and bathroom. Receptionist very set in his,ways. Couldn't find my reservation on check in.

Comfy and great location
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

All was good. Great location and value for money. Loved the range of nearby bars and restaurants. Room and bathroom good, though not big. Would definitely stay again

Our focus was on the city and not in the hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

It was difficult to make the payment, and the hotel only took visa. Room was very basic, no toiletries when we arrived. We had to put the duvet into the cover on the duvet as it was in the press. The duvet was dirty and the blanket that was in the press was also grubby. The room was very expensive for what it was, there are plenty of other places to stay in that area, I’d book somewhere else next time.

Nice hotel with a quiet room

Elevator is too small, only for 2 people. We had to go in two runs: first my wife with a kid and then I with suitcases and folded baby stroller (unfolded stroller can't go into elevator! :) ). Space on staircase is also very limited. Initially it was not too clear where you should go after elevator in order to find your room on the 4th floor. There was no shelves around to put anything high up (out of reach by kid). The shower is not very suitable especially if you travel with child. Property doesn't propose the breakfast.

The quietness! We were very surprised that the room we've got was very quiet especially after we saw a big group of young people at the reception checking in just before us. Our room was on the 4th floor. You can leave your luggage in the storage room for actually unlimited time (for just 2 euro; you just put coin into the lock).

Best place and value for your money
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Unfortunately I stayed here for only a night, got there at around 11pm and left at around 9am so I barely could enjoy the room. However it was so good and comfy that I want to 100% go back in the future. The check in and check out process was as simple as life can be. The location is great because we went out to dinner at around 12am and Plaza Mayor was about 7 mins walking which was great. The bed and room were super comfortable and clean and the staff very friendly and nice. I would definitely recommend and most definitely I will come back.

Only location, location
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Someone reviewed that this hostel keep luggage for free, but it was NOT. You have to pay 2 euro to use locker. Linen was not clean, bathroom was full of dust. We got there early before checkin time due to train arrival time. The guy registered us, but did not assigned the room. When we went back to check the room after 2 pm, we were assigned the room right next to reception, which was LOUD all night.

Only location was good

The location was absolutely amazing.

You have to wait for the staff to open the front door, and the hallway door which depending on the person in the reception, it can take some time.

The location was absolutely amazing. 2 minutes walking from Sol station, downtown area.

Old place in a good central area if you want to party and don't mind noise.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

I saw three rooms. All the bathrooms had black mildew around the bath/shower. There are many better value, cleaner places to stay in the area. They also charge you to hold your luggage until you room is ready.

Prime location, but can be noisy

The street entrance door is operated by intercom but it is not clear which button is to be pressed to call the hotel reception. Hotel rooms are located on the floor above the reception and the wooden staircase which leads there is old, wonky and certainly feels rather unstable. Some rooms were made by splitting original rooms in two with a dividing wall. That new wall is extremely thin almost like a cardboard and you get no privacy at all in case your neighbors happen to be in. In addition to that outside sound insulation is also quite light and it can get quite noisy in the evening. Pack the earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

Prime central location. Lots of bars and restaurants nearby. Straightforward check-in. Decent shower and bathroom with basic toiletries provided.

Absolutely shocked.

Absolutely shocked. Look nothing like it does online at all! Very disappointed in Booking.com It is not worth the money, you can find much better places in the same location.

Excellent place to stay in centre of Madrid, handy for all attractions. Friendly helpful staff.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Bedding needed changing at least once in the 4 night stay due to it being very warm, but this didn't happen

Very central location, friendly helpful staff who speak reasonable English, feels safe and secure even if lone female traveller.

Nice place with suitable rooms

No option for breakfast.

Air con! Great location! Super friendly staff. One rickety lift. A quaint little place. Plenty of luggage storage for pre/post check in.

For the price and location, Hostal Marlasca was great!
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Next time I will ask for two twin beds pushed together. Their "double" was a full size bed. They have a small service elevator for luggage etc. It barely fit my husband and daughter in the stroller, I took the steps to the 4th floor.

For the price and location, Hostal Marlasca was great! Plenty of great food options steps from our door! Front desk was quick to respond when we had a noise complaint about our neighboring room (playing very loud music at 1am). The room itself was a bit bigger than the European average.

Wonderfully vibrant area close to everything and easy access...

Quite noisy at night but that is par for the course given the area. Aircon made absolutely no difference in the room.

Wonderfully vibrant area close to everything and easy access to museums, art valley etc. Very professionally run with nice common areas to sit.

Location, Location, Location.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Air Conditioning needs upgrading - very noisy and poor air ventilation. No fridge or tea/coffee making facilities. Continuous street noise heard even when doors closed - understandable for the location but soundproofing could be improved.

Location, Location, Location. Convenient walking distance to all major locations; Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Prado etc Clean rooms and bathrooms. 24 hour reception.

Beautiful! incredibly priced.

We were a little confused at how to turn on the lights - then later realized that we had to put the card key in the slot. It took about 10 minutes to figure out.

Incredibly priced for such a beautiful hostal. We were really happy and impressed with these accomodations. We loved the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Ideal place to stay for a trip to Madrid
    • Quadruple Room

Bathroom was just OK - very clean, but a bit dated

Ideal location - easy to find in a 5min walk from "Sol" metro; very handy for Plaza Mayor; Puerta del Sol; Shops, city-sightseeing buses, & places to eat too. Room really quiet & nicely furnished, ideal for a short break

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Awesome hostal.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Malaga is a nice city with nice people and views but sadly the city has some thieves that take advantage of tourists, while being here three moroccans stole my phone and credit card.

Staff is extremely good, specially Melina, she was very helpful with city information and things to do.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Excellent choice for the money
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Everything - great value for the money, location was excellent (walking distance to all the attractions), convenient - lots of restaurants nearby and a small supermarket. Room was clean, wifi worked well, staff was very nice. Hotel was easy to get to from the airport with the subway, the stop being only a few minutes away.

My best budget hotel/hostal in Madrid!
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The mattress, I'll admit, is not the greatest. Our queen bed also had only one, long pillow which was tough to "share" between two people who sleep in different postures/positions.

The location can't be beat-- just off Plaza del Sol, but on a side street that is much quieter. Surrounded by great bars and restaurants. Very safe, staff available 24hrs. Is it the Taj Mahal? No. But it's a great value for the price and the location is fantastic. Comfortable, very clean and staff is friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Good value lodgings surrounded by restaurants and bars.

Odd plumbing in the sink (but not a deal-breaker) and a tiny elevator.

We had stayed here before in a triple (with our adult daughter) and that room was not satisfactory but this one was well laid out for three people. The bathroom is newly renovated and there is plenty of room for suitcases. There are lockers where even large luggage can be kept before checking in or after checking out.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Good Deal in the Heart of Madrid

We were happy to get a triple room as we were traveling with an adult daughter but this room was actually a double with an extra bed shoved in blocking the closet and no other furniture except a glass table. However, we stayed here on another occasion and the triple was perfect. The plumbing was odd in both rooms, especially the sinks but we figured out how to make it work.

The location was excellent and the staff was very helpful. They also have lockers where you can store even large luggage if you arrive before check-in or need someplace to put your luggage after check-out time. The views from the tiny balcony are great. The bedding and room temperature were exactly right.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Average experience at a cheap price
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

It was very noisy during the night due to being a very central hostal. The walls and windows didn't do much to keep the sound out. Cleaners didn't do a thorough job, staff were also unable to get into their own first aid box when asked to provide plasters.

Very central location meant we could access anywhere in the city centre on foot. Also many bars and restaurants nearby. Internet access and TV available

Amazing experience
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

On our floor there was an empty reception desk, and when we needed help figuring out how to work the tv, there was no one.

I loved the size of the room and everything was elegant and clean, me and my partner had total privacy and comfort having our own bathroom and huge wardrobe. The hostal is huge. It has four floors.

Central location.

Very, basic and old fashioned. Very small bathroom. Room was a bit shabby. No breakfast option. Left luggage was in a locker with a charge.

Central location. Low price for that area.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Excellent place to stay in old center of Madrid.
    • Quadruple Room

Great place with personality! Close to Sol and the metro. Plenty of eating/drinking very close by. Elevator access to the rooms and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Good low budget option.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

It was fairly noisy, we could hear the shower dripping from next door. And the bathroom was very tiny.

Fantastic location, near everything. The staff were lovely and showed us on a map everything we would be interested in.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Good for a one-nighter on your way through Madrid.
    • Quadruple Room

Kind of creepy. The room was dark and only had a tiny window. But, Madrid isn't a town you should visit if you plan on hanging out in your hotel room.

Fairly easy to find and very centrally located. It was clean.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Best area to stay

Maybe would be nicer to have better doors in the toilet (there is not much privacy since the door is made of glass and it doesn't actually close)

The location was great, as for the room also very nice and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Regrettably, a disappointment

We had a bad experience on account of being assigned a room (no change possible - hotel is full, we heard) that was substandard. It was a tiny space - both the sleeping quarters with nowhere to put our suitcases and the cubicle-like bathroom lacking in any attractiveness - with a window overseeing a tiny courtyard full of some kind of machines running. Next morning we couldn't get the door to our room to open from outside and the staff struggled to deal with the problem until finally managing it. Having said this, I don't doubt there are nicer rooms in this hotel. Sadly, this particular one (we asked for a quiet room WITH A NICE VIEW) wasn't.

The location was great, the antique-like decor of the hotel (apparently founded in 1929) hallways and the vintage lift were nice.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Good situation
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Shutters don't close, so there was a lot of noise from outside. A group of residents arrived in the early hours of the morning, very noisy for a long time

Great situation in the social centre of the city

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

A Brilliant Location

The staff were brill especially Jochom.He looked after us the day we arrived and helped get us booked in early and showed us on the map where to see the city from.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Shower door : you cant fully close it. If you're a bit well-built, you cant move in the shower. No hooks to hang your clothes in the bathroom. Hairdryer was not working, we were too tired to go to the front desk to ask for it.

Location. *Just a reminder: I saw at the check-in counter that there's a note saying the towels will only be changed every 2 days.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Awful. I will not be staying here again!!!
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Everything apart from location. I have stayed here many times in the last few years and been satisfied, but the quality has depreciated considerably. We were given an internal room with no opening windows and the air conditioning was not working properly. One of the bedside lamps had a dangerous electrical connection and there were holes in the bed linen. We were offered a different room but that was even worse. The staff were disinterested and unhelpful. Very, very disappointing. It used to be a good place to stay but not any more!!!!

Location is convenient

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

In the heart of the city.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The Wi-Fi was very weak! Impossible to connect. For a foreigner the internet is of a great importance.

The location and the staff were great! The room was very clean and not too small. It was nice to have a balcony with a street view.

The location was ideal, also the place was very cozy.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The location was ideal, also the place was very cozy.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Unfinisheded work in shower

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

The location was good.

The location was good.The room was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

nice place, kind of old-fashioned, friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

noise (reparation works) on the street

nice place, kind of old-fashioned, friendly staff

They dont change the Towels

They dont change the Towels

the view was awesome Great location.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

no place to hang clothes

the view was awesome Great location. and did I say beautiful view

Location was excellent!

Very small room. Very basic.

Location was excellent! Good value for money. Even though there was no parking there are 24hr parking places everywhere

The staff were helpful, the location great, thank goodness for the double glazing & air con
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The rooms were a little tired ~ small but comfy.

We didn’t have breakfast included so cant comment. The location was brilliant!

Wonderful location, friendly staff.
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

Wonderful location, friendly staff.

no refrigerator

Great little find
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

The building is a bit old., but quaint.

Great location. Memory foam bedding.

Fantastic location

Fantastic location

Excelent location

Excelent location

Great staff and very good location

Great staff and very good location

The lift didnt work and my room at 4 floor

The lift didnt work and my room at 4 floor

Would have been great but for the noise
    • Double or Twin Room (1-2 Adults)

In a street full of bars very noisy sat and fri night did not get much sleep

Very clean and crntral