Reviews of Hotel Mediterrani Express 2 stars

Riera, 25, 08370 Calella, Spain

#4 of 53 hotels in Calella

Nice hotel with very good location, close to the beach and...

Nothing much. Maybe not a very good sound isolation between rooms and that can be a problem if neighbours are loud.

Nice hotel with very good location, close to the beach and in a street with many restaurants, markets and shops. We had a room on the first floor with pool view. The room was basic but clean and what I expected. Staff were very nice. Good value for money.

Good value for the money - recommended...

We had a room into the main street, so there was a noise at night. Better option seems to be into the swimming pool area. We didn't like that you were not allowed to bring even a bottle of water by the swimming pool, if it was not bought in the hotel. But not a big deal for us...

Great place to stay! Hotel and our room were very clean, bright, spacious and fresh. The guy at the reception was great - very pleasant, helpful and spoke English perfectly. Hotel was very well secured. Short walk to the beach. It was great to have balcony. Wifi worked well. Swimming pool was a great surprise - was clean and few people. This hotel exceeded our expectations, would come back.

Great holiday, thank you 😀

There was a lot of street noise but it didn't bother us!

The location of the hotel was central and it was easy to find. The air con in the room was great. The room was spotlessly clean and all the staff were very friendly. The coffee was nice! I enjoyed staying here, and I would stay here again.

Hotel was great & Calella was fabulous!

Our room was on the street side so it was noisy once the streets became busy. However, it is incredibly quiet at night so no problems sleeping.

Fabulous little hotel right in the heart of Calella. Manager & staff were helpful & pleasant. Rooms basic but extremely clean, maids came in every day. Great value would definitely stay again!

I would definitely stay there again.

Would have liked a kettle and a couple of mugs to make a hot drink when you wanted.

When we arrived there was a lovely welcome and the room was lovely and clean. After a good nights sleep we went downstairs to breakfast which was basic but all fresh. Outside space clean and a decent pool.

A very pleasant hotel situated in the centre of town and close to the beach. Perfect

Amazing, helpful and friendly staff. Clean comfortable rooms. Swimming pool. Croissant and coffee at breakfast for €2.50. Great value for money.

Great value hotel with good customer service

Being picky, the sheets were a tad small but given the weather it wasn't a huge problem. We also had noisy neighbours one night but given that their moans of pleasure weren't so obvious and loud the next night I'm guessing they were told to keep it down!!

The location of this hotel is perfect as its just off the main thoroughfare of Calella. We had a room overlooking the street and when the patio doors were closed most of the noise got drowned out. I loved that we had a pool and plenty of chairs and sun beds around this area. We paid extra for breakfast and overall it was good value for money at €5 each. Our room was clean and the added bonus was a small fridge. We asked for a kettle and got given one free to use; great customer service!! Would certainly recommend and visit again. The staff were superb...

Fantastic location, didn't dislike anything!

I can honestly say that I can't say that I disliked anything.

The Staff were very friendly, nothing was too much, the owner allowed me to park the car in his lock up for a very small charge per day, result (Thank You Paul). Fantastic location right on the main street with balcony & there is already a line set up on the balcony for washing (how thoughtful), but not to worry it goes quiet around midnight. Amazing pool area made to look like a small village & done with taste.

Great hotel for good price

Location is great, close to the beach, shops, restaurants. Room is comfy, it has a small balcony and a fridge. Stuff is very kind and helpful, coffee in the hotel is very tasty :) Wifi works very good.

Liked it. Didn't love it.

I I liked this place. I didn't love it..why not? First and foremost, there were the rules for the pool. Not the standard ones of no glass (drinks were served in glass and the pool surface very slippy) but that all drinks, including water had to be purchased from the reception hitch they are entitled to do as the large board by the pool explained (I like more welcoming signs). Whilst the prices might not seem high, the mark up was excessive. Cans of shandy at 2.50€ that were 80c at the Spar across the road. Even bottled water had to be bought at 2.50€. One time, I had a large bottle in my beach bag and I was walking onto the pool terrace just to retrieve my towel and I was questioned. To be honest, I don't go on holiday to be questioned and I'm too old and too genuine to smuggle water to drink. It made me feel ill at ease. The rooms were cleaned but the cleaner often left just the one toilet roll without a spare. Again, I felt this was penny pinching and, for the first time since I used to go camping, I went to Spar and bought emergency rations for 1€. I also accosted the cleaner and made her give me an additional one! Likewise, the parking. Parking is chaotic at the resort. There's a hospital car park 10 minutes walk for a cheap 2.50€. The hotel owner will let you park in his home just by the hotel for 6€ a day. We did because it felt safer and we didn't like taking up hospital visitor's spaces. However, it was never made clear how, other than when we left, we could access our car if we wanted to venture out. That communication would have been helpful as no one wants to break into someone's siesta. Luckily, we just wanted to relax on the beach. As I say, l liked the hotel but I didn't love it. I think 7.5 is a correct reflection of this.

Location was great. Right in the heart of things. The room was a good size with an adequate balcony space and the advantage of a fridge. However, do ask for a second key card if you want to keep things cool as the removal of your key, stops the fridge and, if you're out all day, you'll return to warm beer! Air conditioning worked well. Room looked and felt attractive.

Short break with family

No inflatables allowed in pool not many sunbeds. no parking due to location. Beds a little hard. Not a great view from balcony.

Clean rooms, Clean pool area, great location, free air-con and WiFi. Good size bathroom with large mirror. Rooms cleaned daily. Staff friendly and helpful.

Little Gem

You weren't allowed to take your own food and drink out to the pool but their prices were very competitive.

Great little hotel in a lovely location. All you need for a short break. Staff were very helpful and gave advice for our trip into Barcelona.

The location is great, in the city center not far from the...

A thicker mattress could make the sleep better (if you move a lot during your sleep the other person will move with you whether they want it or not, feeling the springs).

The location is great, in the city center not far from the little historic part (which is lovely), as opposed to the modern part of Callela -which is (at least for my taste) ugly and full of "sovietic style" huge hotels. From Meditterani Hotel, you can go have your morning coffee or eat in the many restaurants, which are not too expensive and many are really good. It's also 1 minute from the sea, with a balcony (ours was facing the street but it was calm enough - some balconies faced the pool). The climatization works well, there was a small fridge as well (a bit tired but sufficient to keep drinks cold for the end of the day), a TV (but spanish channels only), and everything was very clean. The staff is very friendly and discreet, the pool seems nice (not overcrowded as the sea is just a few steps away) but we didn't use it.

Very good stay

BREAKFAST COULD'VE BEEN SLIGHTLY BETTER, though what we ate was ok, maybe just not enough.

Staff were excellent especially Paula who looked after all our needs. The rooms were very good for value and spotlessly clean. Pool area was also well looked after, as was our bar requirements.

Great Stay, would definitely use again if/when we go back to Calella

We were woken up most nights by other guests going in and out of their rooms.

Fantastic location, very close to shops, restaurants and beach. Basic rooms but have everything you could ask for in a cheap break, loved the fact that we had a fridge in the room.

Value for the money

There is nothing to not like.

Very clean room and helpful staff. Located in the center, close to the beach, they have swimmingpool (a small children's pool and a normal bigger one) and sunbeds which is perfect if you just want to sunbath for a couple of hours. Could maybe have been some more sunbeds and parasols.

Another great stay

Cannot fault this hotel 3rd stay here and everything spot on as usual very clean throughout .Frendly host and great value for money would highly recommend

All in all - brilliant

I didn't know there was free wifi! And there is a bit of noise from doors slamming and people walking down the corridor.

Brilliant and clean hotel with friendly staff and so close to the bars and restaurants (but not noisy). Will be coming back to stay every year when its our rugby!

Great little hotel

Could have been more sunlounges, hotel only had 9 sunlounges and was plenty of room around the pool for more sunlounges. You couldn't bring in food or drinks around the pool area which is fair enough but not being able to bring in bottles of water to drink round pool is unfair.

Hotel was very clean and staff friendly and helpful

Great hotel

Perfect location for beach, shops and restaurants. Lovely pool area and nice clean rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Will definitely be booking again should I return to Calella.

Ideal Hotel for Bars and Beach in Calella

Front rooms were a bit noisy, Bed was a bit hard.

Ideally situated for my needs as a spectator for Ironman 2016. Bedrooms were a bit sparse, but there was furniture on the verandah, and there was a fridge.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Comfortable stay within budget

We had a comfortable stay. Great value for money. Good quality rooms within budget. Clean and tidy. Staff was very helpful. Not much options in breakfast but it was filling.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Great hotel very peacefull ,nice pool area to relax and...

Great hotel very peacefull ,nice pool area to relax and enjoy the sun . Step outside to find everything on the doorstep straight in the main street of the shops ,a 5 minute walk to the beach .staff very helpfull always happy to help ,rooms cleaned every day.Pol the manager very nice and helpfull!Absolutely wonderful holiday!Thank you, Pol once again, for all your support and for making my stay so unforgettable!all the best!

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

We'll be back!

Leaving!

We stayed here with my elderly parents, and my brother and nephew who had flown in from South Africa so it had a lot of different needs to cover and a wide age range to keep happy. We all absolutely loved it! Its a lovely hotel in an ideal location but what made it extra special was the kindness of the staff. During our stay it was my parents 59th wedding anniversary and when we mentioned it a bottle of Cava and glasses were produced. It made their day. I can't praise this place enough. I hope we're able to return in the future.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Good central location beach 5-6 mins away

There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms. The balconies are a bit small. No car parking available closest 5-8mins. away on the beach

It was really central but very quiet had lovely pool area in a Spanish style courtyard. This was our 2nd visit and will return. Staff on hand 24hrs

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Fantastic hotel , great location and fabulous owners and staff

The bed was really comfortable , best night sleep i've had in a hotel bed ....brilliant location. Pol, his family and staff are so welcoming and friendly. Highly recommend this lovely hotel

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Very recommended for service and facilities

The only thing that needs some intervention is the room’s main door which is not properly fixed and has a gap between the door and the wall.

Absolutely everything: the staff is very accommodating and helpful, the location is perfect (on a street closed to traffic, no noise at night, close to beach, restaurants and shops), the room is big, very clean and has all I needed (a small fridge, a/c, TV, balcony with furniture). Bathroom is big and comfortable to use. There is a good garage for a car located about 100 m from the hotel (extra fee). Overall, I am very satisfied with this hotel and would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

The best budget hotel I have ever been to

This is listed as a 2 star hotel and you get what you pay for... normally... I would say this should be at least a 3 star, I didn't dislike anything. The only thing I would ask for is a second pillow instead of just one. But to be fair, I probably should have asked the owners for one as they were very helpful

The staff were great, the location is perfect and it is excellent value for money. We will be back.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

We liked it a lot

We're liked staying at the hotel very much. The stafg is friendly (especially the host) and always asks how we spent a day or if we needed some help. The hotel is located within 3-5 minutes to the beach and 12-15 minutes to the station. There are a lot of shop and cafés nearby. WiFi works well, no troubles. For 5 euros you can have a nice breakfast on the ground-floor of the hotel.

A wonderful hotel that offers significantly more than you would expect for the price

I would have preferred sheets to be changed more regularly on the beds as well as a greater range for breakfast. Also, the rule regarding no externally purchased drinks around the pool/ social area is excessive. On the last day of our trip the daytime pool staff abruptly asked me to put my water bottle away as I was collecting my bags for checkout and quite clearly taking medication.

Welcoming staff, excellent value for money, comfortable and spacious rooms and a great location.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Perfect location

Maybe a few more sun beds for guests to use.

Very friendly and informative staff, peaceful and quiet despite being in such a central location....perfect. Had the pool to ourselves most of the week, modern, clean facilities....thank you.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

The location of the hotel is very good - on the trading...

The location of the hotel is very good - on the trading street but we could hear no noises in our room (looking to the sweeping pool). The room was spacious, modern and had everything we needed including a small fridge and a hairdryer. They even keep umbrellas left so we did not need to buy ones which was a nice surprise. There is also a small "library" to change books or just to leave the one you do not need any more. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We are very thankful and will definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

great value for the money

Normalitate in cel mai bun sens al cuvantului. Placut si relaxant. Paul este un om deosebit. Normalidad en mejor significado de palabra. Agradable y relajante. Normal in the best way of this word. Cosy and relaxing.Paul is a special man. Thanks.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Keep your belongings with you at all times

A very bad experience unfortunately, very rude staff, we had some money stolen from our room, no CCTV in place so nothing was investigated further, didn't even receive an apology or a complementary coffee, the matter was dealt with as if it was a normal, regular occurrence

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Enjoyable relaxing stay.

A little noisy in the evening as people returned to their rooms. Wished there had been thicker blankets for coziness factor.

We loved the staff. They were caring, helpful and friendly. We also enjoyed the clean rooms, relaxing pool area, and that it was a short walk to the beach. The breakfast with coffee was very nice. Liked location and accessibility to Barcelona and other areas along the coast.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

chilled, clean and friendly small budget hotel

Views weren't great but was still excellent value for the price

Very clean and was central but a quiet location. Fridge in the room was good to have and the air con worked well

good value for money

we booked view on pool, but received street view, it was rather noisy. beds are really too hard, like sleeping on a stone.

good value for money

Had a very relaxing time and peaceful time

Nothing at all

The hotel is very clean and the staff are very nice. The coffee is the best

Faultless, I loved it.

It was perfect

Faultless, I loved it.

great weeks holiday

the owner is great & the hotel & location is supurb

Very friendly staff.

Very friendly staff. Clean room, quiet area, swimming pool.

Excellant

No complaints

Good location, secure, clean, all appliances working, staff friendly and helpful.

Very enjoyable for our three day stay

Tea making facility in room

Friendly and helpful staff

Cool in Calella

Location helpful staff family run establishment felt safe

Nice place to stay in a nice town.

Location, staff, room with balcony and good clean bathroom.

Good value, clean, nice room.

Good value, clean, nice room.

Lovely family run hotel. Would stay here again definitley

A few more sunbeds

Lovely staff and very clean

Big clean room, new bathroom and good location!

Big clean room, new bathroom and good location!

Clean, great location, staff all lovely and friendly.

Only disappointing thing was the amount of sun beds

Clean, great location, staff all lovely and friendly. Would stay here again

Perfect an comfortable bed.

Small fridge

Perfect an comfortable bed. Nice bathroom

Excellent price/quality rate for 2-star(!

Breakfast starts at 8:30 - too late for me

Excellent price/quality rate for 2-star(!) hotel

Everything was super

It's nice when hotel exceed your expectations. It's not two star hotel - some 4 star hotels are worse.

Wonderful

Maybe could of done with a meal selection.

It was clean and tidy. Very nice stay.

Very Quiet

Place was great. The staff was super nice and very helpful. We would book again if we go back.

Very good value for money

Staff very helpful. Rooms, bathroom, A/C all recently refurbished. Always plenty of room round the pool. Sun all day on the pool side.

The staff

The staff

Loved my stay

The air conditioning was a little weak but it was ok

Really good shower , friendly people , really good wardrobe

Fantastic hotel

There could of been more parasols round the pool

Absolutely brilliant staff could not do enough would definitely recommend

La bomba

Great and quiet place nice people cool swiming pool 5mn walk to the beach....

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

The location is perfect for the bars,restaurants, beach and...

Nothing, good value.

The location is perfect for the bars,restaurants, beach and shops. The room was modern, clean and the bar and pool adequate.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Value for money

Nothing special

Location, staff.

Great friendly hotel

Can't dislike anything

Great staff Great location Great all round really

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

The hotel is close to the beach and bars and restaurants.

The hotel is close to the beach and bars and restaurants.

Little gem

Everything lovely hotel couldn't do enough for you

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Close to the beach, fantastic staff, very clean, great value...

Close to the beach, fantastic staff, very clean, great value for money

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Good quality low cost accommodation with friendly staff

The pool area

Really friendly staff, really clean and a good breakfast for 5 euros

Holiday

Location was perfect, near to beach and shopping street. Everything was very clean. Very nice, friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Fabulous

Staff were helpful and friendly Location was great

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

Great location!

Great location!! I liked express mediterrani hotel. I will go back again. Thank you Pol

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Friendly, clean and relaxing!

The friendly staff make this little hotel a joy to stay at. The manager, staff and cleaners were all so kind. I highly recommend this hotel

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

Quiet place in the middle of calella!!

Nothing ;-)

Everything!!! Cute hotel in centre of calella, still quiet at nights. Cosy room, nice small breakfast, everything very clean!! Great place

• Reviewed: 7 October 2015

Central location, undisturbed nights sleep, clean room, good...

Central location, undisturbed nights sleep, clean room, good shower & bathroom. ...... No frills just good value for money. Staff are first class.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2015

Clean, comfortable and well sited.

For the value and expectations I had, nothing not to like.

Clean, comfortable and well sited. Staff extremely helpful and accommodating. Couldn't have asked for better value.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2015

Location superb in old town and 5 minutes to beach.

Nothing to dislike. This is a well run establishment. Recommend without hesitation.

Location superb in old town and 5 minutes to beach. Spotlessly clean, friendly & helpful staff & management. Every thing you need is there.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2015

Great location, super-friendly owners, I couldn't...

Noise from the street at night, plus air-conditioner was on the wall facing the bed, so cold air blows right on the head. But hey, free air-conditioning :)

Great location, super-friendly owners, I couldn't believe I am in a two star hotel! Room big and clean, on a lively central street, there was even a pool... And only 5 min from the beach and 10 min from the train station. Would definitely stay here again.

There are also 20 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.