Reviews of Gran Melia Fenix 5 stars

Hermosilla, 2, Salamanca, 28001 Madrid, Spain

#54 of 354 hotels in Madrid

Read more- opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: 29 October 2018

• Classic Double Room

Just what was said before regarding the Aduana restaurant atmosphere

We know the hotel at its comfort and quality overall - the Aduana restaurant offers very good food but the ambience is to casual and needs to upgrade its comfort intimacy and cozy atmosphere to match the hotel standards

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

A great find. We'll be back.
    • Premium Double Room

Beds were a bit too firm.

Beautiful hotel. Great location. Excellent staff and services. Clean. Breakfast buffet a nice plus. Next time we're in Madrid we're definitely staying here. Great for English-speaker.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

First impressions matter, when we checked in the Red Level...
    • Grand Premium Room with Hot Tub Red Level

First impressions matter, when we checked in the Red Level staff just gave us the keys and did not show us the room or the dining facilities, it’s a ritual to turn lights, a/c on. We did not know what time breakfast was how to turn a/c on..... not until the cleaning staff showed us. Did not enjoy our stay, we got off on the wrong foot and everything just went downhill from there.

A truly wonderful hotel in the heart of Madrid.
    • Premium Double Room

Nothing to complain about - a wonderful hotel all round.

The hotel is wonderful - it is elegant, beautifully furnished, well-appointed and clean. The hotel is well located and very central. Staff are helpful and service is great. Lovely room and beautiful bathroom with all the amenities. Wonderful breakfast.

Wonderful friendly staff
    • Premium Double Room

Nothing! Keep up the good work

Lovely staff, probably the friendliest I have met in Madrid. Delicious breakfast, fantastic housekeeping service and comfortable rooms. Would highly recommend.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Bad value for money.
    • Premium Double Room

Bad value for money. Expensive hotel without the customer service you can normally expect. You have to queue to get into the breakfast room. And the breakfast served in the room is just the worst I have ever seen and you have to pay 35€ to get 1 pack of cereals and hot water. Unbelievable

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

The hotel is located in the Salamanca district and very...
    • Classic Double Room

Bathroom is narrow and tight

The hotel is located in the Salamanca district and very convenient to anyplace in Madrid. Staff is well trained, efficient, and thorough. Rooms are decorated nicely however bathrooms are narrow and tight.

Perfect location, amazing staff!

All Great !

Perfect location, amazing staff! During Taxi Strike help and find solution best ways. Top quality staff and very well customer oriented. Perfect and yummy Breakfast👍

Good choice for luxury rooms with jacuzzi in central Madrid
    • Grand Premium Room with Hot Tub Red Level

Room obtained was not exactly the type ordered on Booking.com The patio seemed not fully prepared, some transats and parasol visible on other rooms were not put on ours

Very good customer care at the moment of checking-in Room obtained was better than the one we booked Late departure at 14h00 possible

Great stay and excellent management response to situations

The Red Bar upstairs should close at 2pm during summer as it closes at midnight. The suite on the 6th floor that we were shown as our first suite was small and needed a renovation on the outside balcony, we were then moved to suite 703 which was nice. The suites are generally small overall but absolutely fine. There was no first aid immediately available -this is critical incase someone gets hurt

The hotel is located outside the old town. It takes 20min by cab and costs between $7 euro's and 9 euros's each way to get there and back. The hotel is clean and they have 24 hour concierge service. As we had booked a suite, we were given complimentary access to the 7th floor which had a full bar and nibbles free of charge from 1pm to 11pm - which was a lovely surprise. The breakfast and nibbles were excellent. There were a few switches in our room that did not work and I think some areas need a bit of refurbishment. The manager was excellent when there was a mishap with the toilet in my sons room and they reacted and rectified the situation immediately

What a gorgeous hotel!
    • Premium Double Room

What a gorgeous hotel!! Way more gorgeous than I even imagined. Location was perfect, and staff were gracious and helpful. Only complaint is that the room is very small - but it was so beautiful and the bathroom was INCREDIBLE. The restaurant/bar/lounge area is really gorgeous and comfy and I spent a lot of time there. Would definitely give it 5 stars!

This is an almost perfect hotel.
    • Classic Double Room

This is an almost perfect hotel. But they were overbooked, so we were a group of 7 people, and 3 of us had to go to an other Melia. This was the only bad experience, the hotel tried to manage this situation. They were really very kind but we were not together.

Nice stay
    • Deluxe Red Level

Is a bit old, needs some furniture and carpet renewal.

Is a hotel with good location for shopping and entertainment, close to good restaurants and bars. The Red Level Club is a nice option for upgrades.

Excellent apart from red level
    • Classic Double Room

For my final night, I upgraded to red level. This was a complete waste of money. I was given a worse room, on the fifth floor rather than the seventh, which I had specifically requested. Red level offers breakfast on the seventh floor, but the options were much worse than the standard breakfast downstairs . I would stay at this hotel again without hesitation, but I would never again book a red level room

The reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficient, and the first of the two rooms I had during my stay more than met my expectations. Breakfast offers a good selection, a limited range of hot food combined with plenty of fruit, pastries etc.

Nice location,nice staff.....but with some problems.
    • Deluxe Red Level

The bathroom was ridiculously small with a small bathtub and one small sink.And we had an executive room on the Red level floors not s a standard room,so this was quite problematic. Although the floor was covered with carpet,it was was screeching when you walked in the room,and we could hear the people from the room above also when they walked.Not nice. The hotel is on one of the busy roads in Madrid so there was noise from the street,although the room had double windows.

Central location,walking distance from the main shopping area and most attractions. The Red level ( Club level ) was nice with good breakfast and service. Personel was excellent,friendly and helpful. Nice bar and lobby area.

Reasonable stay in Salamanca
    • Premium Double Room

Room size is small and so are the elevators and the gym. From my room I had a very poor view as the opposite building is located only 7-8 meters away.

Very good location and nice staff. The WiFi worked well in all corners of the room.

Faild to provide the very basic of a hotel requirement: to be able to sleep!
    • Grand Premium Room with Hot Tub Red Level

Is unacceptable not to be able to sleep because of the noise, especially after requesting a quiet room! Offering to change the room at 11 o’clock at night or 8 o’clock in the morning is not quite my idea of sorting out the problem. After several calls, nobody managed to find the source of the noise, but I find it myself. The room shared a wall with the restaurant kitchen. That’s hell of a respect for a quiet room requirement!

The bed was comfortable.

Nice room
    • Supreme Double Room

Hotel did not recognise the Booking.com reference number when checking in. This is the second visit to this hotel and this is the second time this has happened. The hotel also had the booking under my assistant's name rather than my own, my name was clearly stated on the reservation with booking.com. May be there is a problem with bookng.com and the hotel. This caused some inconvenience. The business centre did not pass on an important email to me, which was my boarding pass.

Nice room

In my opinion the level of the food in general should be...

In my opinion the level of the food in general should be improved, we ate at the restaurant, had breakfast at the hotel and ordered room service. None of the experiences was excellent, all was good and in order, but not at the level of the hotel itself. Some work could be done to improve the food experience as a whole.

My home in another town

Loved everything.

The hotel is situated in the best area of Madrid so I love the location. Easy access to great restaurants and shops . Staff are very friendly and extremely professional. The rooms are clean , very elegant and comfortable. Food is great. The value for money is unbeatable. I would give them a triple excellent.

Staff are friendly and professional.
    • Premium Double Room

It's not as "fresh" looking as the more modern 5 star hotels, but that's is fairly reflected in the price. Still amazes me that most hotels in Madrid don't have TV entretainment system with streaming, on demand, etc.

Staff are friendly and professional. Location couldn't be better both business and personal. Room service is actually very good and the bar is great for an informal meeting or a post-dinner nightcap. Terrace is lovely in the summer.

Expensive but sufficiently well-located and offering exceptional service to warrant the cost
    • Family Room

While the gym has adequate equipment, there was a nasty smell in the gym which I reported to reception. This was unfortunate.

Miriam at Breakfast reception was excellent. Very friendly and professional. The breakfast selection is good. Very helpful and efficient at check in. Comfy, clean beds and good pillow selection. Quality mineral water supplied daily. Good bath/shower prducts.

Good Start , Bad Ending
    • Premium Double Room

My earrings (Gold & Firuz) have been left on bed once checking out and just one was found and returned!

The location of the Hotel , and fast feedback (Service) and access, Good breakfast fried egg :-)

I will never come back and as a Melia customer it was a very disappointing experience.
    • Grand Family Room

We had to wait till 16.30 to have our room, in the morning we had to cue for 20 minutes to have breakfast. The room was extremely dark with view to a dark patio. The hotel is very old fashion for a Gran Melia if you compare with the one in Marbella or Mallorca or any Me.

The location is the only thing I really like it to be honest.

Great property , though not close to the centre . Our room was noisy being above the Hard Rock Cafe!
    • Premium Double Room

Having a room that was above the hard Rock cafe on the first floor. Its a bit far from the restaurants , cafes

Size of the rooms , comfortable bed, helpful staff and great inhouse bar

The situation.
    • Grand Premium Room with Hot Tub Red Level

The room was small and not prepared. (big room with jaccuzzi 614) Bath robes missing. risk of injurries when Accessing the room terasse.

The situation. The food quality and taste at the restaurant. Nice breakfast.

It was ok but we won't stay there again
    • Deluxe Red Level

The reception staff and the night shift staff were barely available to anwer calls and there was no bell captain at night when we arrived and no one showed us how to change the AC temperature and mainly the AC WAS a big problem

The location was great

Great location, very comfortable stay, it delivers the standard one expects.
    • Premium Double Room

Excellent room. The staff were very attentive, efficient, helpful,polite and spoke very good English. The menu in the restaurant was very good, the cooking and presentation excellent and the staff were superb.

Lovely rooms and comfortable beds.
    • Premium Double Room

No Tea and coffee facilities in room had to ring room service. No ironing board or iron.

Lovely rooms and comfortable beds. Ideal location for one night stopover above Hard Rock Cafe

We booked a suit with balcony & jacuzzi supposedly...
    • Grand Premium Room with Hot Tub Red Level

We booked a suit with balcony & jacuzzi supposedly over look the Madrid,, but They offered us a suit over looking a high building (which I could almost touch) with no privacy, I refuse and they offer us another suit for two Nights and move to other suit for the rest of our 3 nights staying pulse 1500 euro extra charge for the suit with a better view ( still over look by the buildings but not so close to the balcony ) so end up paying 4500 euro for two person for 5 nights,, hotel is clean and very nice ,, good value for money,, fantastic service supper kind employs but I will not recommend it and will not go there again because I do not appreciate wait almost two hours after a long trip for them to find us a suitable room.

Good location.
    • Classic Double Room

Room was much smaller than what described in your site and the preference of two single beds in the room was not avalilbale. We had to upgrade to a superior room to have some extra room and two single beds. Very disappointed.

The superior room is very comfortable and the staff very welcoming.

Wonderful
    • Deluxe Red Level

The day time doorman ignores anyone who is either American, looks American or is dressed as a tourist. We stayed 3 days. We did have a private car for tours picking us up and transporting to and from airport so I guess we didn't rate any smiles because he wasn't being compen$ated.

Great Location, friendly staff, good size room for European hotel.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

,we got the room earlier then we expected.
    • Classic Double Room

The room that we got was very small.

,we got the room earlier then we expected. The staff was very nice. The location is very good right in the center.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Overall - wonderful experience - location, gym, feeling of...
    • Classic Double Room

30 EUR for breakfast is unreasonable, even dinner in Madrid won't cost that much, so i did not opt for it, aircon is a bit too cold, so i had to turn it off completely, it was not possible to set the temperature, it's either on or completely off.

Overall - wonderful experience - location, gym, feeling of luxury, nice bed.

Nice view, shame about the room size
    • Deluxe Red Level

Room was small (no way it was 33msq as advertised) and bathroom was really small. We asked to move rooms but the other room we were shown had an even smaller bathroom.

Red level facilities were great - wall to wall food and drinks with a lovely terrace Bar was great too

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

A favorite hotel...worth a return trip
    • Deluxe Red Level

I did not like the interior view room. Request a room looking out to the street.

The red level service is worth every extra penny. Fabulous breakfast. Exquisite tapas and an open bar in a lovely lounge with two balconies. The massage was really the best I have had...and I've had a lot in many countries. Perfect location!

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Not the best choice
    • Grand Premium Room with Hot Tub Red Level

The location was a bit remote from the center of Madrid, our room balcony faced directly into a non-descript office structure, a poor restaurant recommendation, our personal concierge who had difficulty even forcing a smile.

The south facing rooftop panoramic view balcony, 7th floor breakfast room, the unlimited free alcoholic beverages, the friendly main floor bar, an attractive lobby.

Never disappoints.
    • Supreme Double Room

One thing that always puzzles us when we stay there is that the room is always a little too warm. We wound up having to open the windows at night otherwise we baked. This is a very minor issue though.

The staff, as always, are fabulously friendly and helpful. They had no problems resolving any issues we had with our stay - ''...an ironing board, please,'' ''...late checkout, please,'' - and were a pleasure to deal with. The restaurant is very good for both breakfast and dinner. The location is superb and in easy walking distance to good shopping and restaurants. The view across La Colon square is very nice.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Lovely luxurious hotel, with a great location
    • Premium Double Room

Loved the classic feel of the hotel. The staff were very helpful and gave us great advice about the city and the recommended great restaurants. The bathroom amenities were luxurious. The hotel provided an adapter in every room, which really helped us. We were red floor guests and felt really special.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Great Hotel - a Favourite in Madrid
    • Classic Double Room

There's nothing to dislike.

The staff, the location and the amenities are excellent. The rooms are high quality, it's easy to get anywhere in central Madrid and some major shopping and dining areas are in easy walking distance.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Stunning Place stunning Location...great staff
    • Classic Double Room

room temperature i could not alter, it was OK but would have liked a little warmer....slightly slow service in the lobby for a coffee but when served wonderful

Staff were superb

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Not pet friendly
    • Classic Double Room

This hotel is everything but pet friendly, dog is not allowed to walk anywhere and must be hold in hands all the time. Also the rooms are not pet friendly just the most expensive ones allow dogs. And that information isn't listed anywhere on booking. So when I had to pay double the money to change the room so my dog could stay the staff at the reception made me feel like I was the idiot for even bringing the dog to their hotel.

Breakfast on the red level is great. Bed is big and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

great hotel but disappointed with some aspects
    • Classic Double Room

Disappointed that i had to pay for water in the room. There was no kettle or tea/coffee making facility in the room and I was charged 11 euros for a pot of tea. I upgraded my room with a view for an extra 20 euros. the view was actually another high rise building.

Breakfast was vey good and service staff very friendly. Gym equipment very good.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Great location and good value!
    • Classic Double Room

Rooms are quite small, but I suppose it's also due to the fact that this hotel is located in one of the most expensive streets in Madrid and every square inch counts!

Great breakfast buffet with a vast array of choices and they were all delicious! All staff members were very helpful and friendly, and an issue with our room's faulty heated towel rail was seen to immediately and fixed very promptly. Location of hotel was handy and very accessible on foot to the city center.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

An Excellent Hotel Experience.
    • Deluxe Red Level

There's nothing to dislike.

The hotel is excellent from the perspectives of location, facilities and meals. The decor is very nice also and the restaurants and bars are comfortable. The point that really makes this hotel stand out though is the service. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave the staff members cannot do enough for you. They are efficient, friendly, polite and interested in making your stay as enjoyable as possible.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

As Always - Excellent.
    • Premium Double Room

There is nothing to dislike.

The hotel is a favourite for my wife and I. The facilities, service and rooms are excellent. The staff are customer oriented and go out of their way to help. The location is excellent. The hotel breakfast is great. What's not to like?

• Reviewed: 10 November 2018

A top hotel with very welcoming staff.
    • Penthouse Suite Red Level (4 Adults)

A top hotel with very welcoming staff. Facilities are excellent, rooms are a great standard. Nothing here you could fault!

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 29 October 2018

Spain dream trip
    • Premium Double Room

Everything including location was amazing

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Kind staffs and good breakfast.
    • Premium Double Room

Kind staffs and good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Food

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

The location, warm staff and excellent food and beverage...
    • Premium Double Room

The location, warm staff and excellent food and beverage service.

One of the best location in Madrid.
    • Classic Double Room

A bit old, could use some restauration

One of the best location in Madrid. Profesional services

• Premium Double Room

Doesn’t have a open terrace. Everything is indoor

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

The location and the staff

Location and service

Location and service

• Classic Double Room

The attention and the location

Fantastic hotel, good location
    • Premium Double Room

Nice and friendly staff, excuisite cleaning service

It was good

The cost

ROOM NICE ANDCONFETEBLE,LOCATION PERFET FOR MY MEETING

NOTHING

POSITION AND BREAKFAST

Not good enough for five star hotel and five star cost
    • Premium Double Room

Breakfast overpriced no water in room on arrival and front desk shoddy

I love Madrid but was disappointed with hotel this time and we have stayed there several times
    • Classic Double Room

There was no water in the room, the bathroom towel had lipstick on it and the room was very stuffy

the location

Great location, comfortable beds, great restaurant

Small bathrooms

Great location, comfortable beds, great restaurant

I liked the bed size

Bathroom was small

I liked the bed size

Great entrance to adventures in Madrid
    • Classic Double Room

Should have coffee in rooms. The checkin area is cramped

Good quality finishes, very quiet and attt Bruce staff

From the standard room booked to almost similar room they...
    • Classic Double Room

From the standard room booked to almost similar room they charged me an excessive amount

Throughly enjoyed the facilities and the location

Room under the 7th floor restaurant was noisy

Staff were excellent Susana - Receptionist 7th floor was outstanding

breakfast too expensive.
    • Premium Double Room

breakfast too expensive. coffee not good

Breakfast too expensive.
    • Premium Double Room

Breakfast too expensive. Coffee not good

Perfect location. We were close to everything, yet away from the craziness of the city center.
    • Junior Suite Red Level

The location couldn’t be more perfect.

Everything, amazing hotel