Reviews of Moderno 3 stars

Hospital, 11, Ciutat Vella, 08001 Barcelona, Spain

#420 of 516 hotels in Barcelona

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Convenient position

Our room was not cleaned properly. Floor had not been swept. Used cup not replaced. Used coffee not replaced and milk not provided at all. Breakfast very poor. For a three star hotel the above should have been better. Really you are paying for the position

Position is fantastic just off Las Ramblas. Front desk staff really helpful and friendly. Free safe in room. Kettle provided. Fridge.

Perfect location!

Although the rooms are non smoking, you can still feel the smell that probably comes from the balcony. But this is Spain! We also booked a room for 3 beds and we were allocated to a room with 2 beds and a sleep couch very uncomfortable. However, the staff was able to relocate us to another room with the 3 beds for the following nights and solved the problem.

Perfect location! Steps from the metro in a very central area. Couldn’t be better!

Bed bugs!!!

We found two bed bugs on the pillows! Worst experience ever! The room condition was awful - very dirty, dust and hair everywhere. We don’t recommend this hotel to anyone.

Brilliant Location

No natural daylight in the room. One small window which looked out onto a dim light well. No windows in bathroom. Breakfast was disappointing and not much left.

Comfortable bed. Fridge in room. Bathroom wasn't in great condition- however it had a powerful shower. Staff helpfully allowed us to leave our bags for the afternoon once we checked out. Fab location!

The staff was helpful and friendly, perfect location.

The only little thing that caught us off guard - the toiletries provided by the hotel only include small packets of shampoo. There is no small soap to wash your hands, for example.

The staff was helpful and friendly, perfect location.

Ok for short city trip

Breakfast was very simple. On arrival late in afternoon stille cleaning and one day no cleaning, which was weird, as I stayed 2 more days. Also strange spots in curtain. Single room is small and not able to open window or day light.

Great location. Bathroom is big and airco and wifi works great. Nice staff

I am not recommending this hotel
    • Family Room

Bed bugs infestation in our room I have 55 bites My son around 80 bites We had to wash all our clothes before we left Manager showed us washing machine in the attic and we dryed everything on the roof Terrible vacation

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

actually i wouldn`t stay at this hotel again
    • Family Room

the hotel is not super clean, is very old and also not well maintained, for example the toilet was missing parts etc

actually i wouldn`t stay at this hotel again

Great central location, very near metro station
    • Family Room

The AC in our room was very weak, and the quadrable room is a bit tight

The place is perfectly situated a couple of meter from Las Ramblas which just in front a metro station (Liceu) which is perfect in wandering around in Barcelona or visiting other attractions in Barcelona

Fantastic location, lovely staff

Everything was ok

Lovely little hotel right on la Rambla. Staff were really friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable. I was only here for one night so did not use many facilities other than the bed to sleep!

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Location is awesome, and staff members are so helpful

Room service was not daily, and they didn’t change the soap. We had one little soap, that was used by previous guests in our room

Location is awesome, and staff members are so helpful

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

I don’t usually review my stays but this one has to be done.

I don’t usually review my stays but this one has to be done. I suffer from asthma and when I made the booking I especially wrote down in the comment section to allocate me room with a window. Next day I called the hotel to double check and I was told by the guy at reception that he allocated me a room with balcony.When I arrived on the day staff told me they were fully booked and told me to come back next day morning to get a room with balcony. The room which I was given was in the middle of the hotel( I had to spend most of night outside because of my breathing problem) without any window or balcony and I was told I won’t be able to get balcony room during my stay. Next thing was that the person at the reception did not know where the iron was so I had to wear wrinkly shirt on a night out. Lastly, I work in a hotel my self so I know it is possible to extend stay till 1:00pm on check out day but people at the reception told me that I would have to check out at 12:00 when the check in time for other guests is 2:00.

Great location and staff, place could be cleaner
    • Family Room

The room was not clean enough. Improvements needed with cleaning. Air conditioning not strong enough, barely made a difference.

Reception staff amazing, always available to help and advice with restaurants, taxis, bookings, etc. Especially, Carmen, always helpful and a great smile. Location also excellent. Bfast good.

Location is perfect and walking distance to majority of...

More attention to the cleanliness is necessary. Especially for the bathroom

Location is perfect and walking distance to majority of attractions. Staff is really helpful

Great location, clean, close to metro station.

The room window was not facing to the exterior so there was no sun light and clean air.

Great location, clean, close to metro station. Definitely a great place to visit the city.

At the heart of the la ramblas

Non

It is great place to stay. at the heart of la ramblas, clean and neat and very good breakfast and versatile. The staff are super kind and helpful. I recommend it.

Staff are very friendly and helpful, nice location, Wi-Fi...

The room was very dark with no window to outside. Much smaller than in the picture. Mini Fridge wasn't working to put a water in this hot summer. I don't recommend having breakfast in the hotel. The restaurant area was dirty and cutlery and glasses were not clean. Food was not fresh and very limited. The common area of hotel like restaurant and WC in lobby was very dirty.

Staff are very friendly and helpful, nice location, Wi-Fi worked well.

Best place to stay in Barcelona. Full Value for Money just for the Location

Location of the property is really good. You will find all the traveling facilities a few steps away. It is at 10 mins walk from Catalunya square. A lot of restaurants and food joints are available on the main street just outside the property. The best place to stay in Barcelona.

Live in the heart of Barcelona

Perfect location! I was staying for 3 days in single room, it was rather small, but I would say, they did smart work to place all needed furniture to make traveller feel comfortable inside! And it's cool to have a balcony so you can see a part of Rambla!

I did not repeat.

The beds are not confortable et all. The towells are old. The breakfast is above the average.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, near the rambla, the metro station, the boqueria, and 10 minutes walking to the bus station that you can use to reach the airport.

The staff and service was wonderful!

The staff and service was wonderful! Not being able to speak Spanish they helped me with directions very well, it was easy to get around and I felt looked after. Best service I have had in a hotel in a long time

I love the location.
    • Family Room

The room is old and way too small for 4 people, AC doesn’t work properly, hallway doesn’t have AC. Shower Towels are really old and strong smell of bleach.

I love the location. And staffs are friendly

A comfortable haven. .

So comfortable. Safe area and close to everything. Appreciated all the small kindnesses from staff.Good breakfast set you up for the day..Bag storage especially good for later travel

I had an excellent stay at Moderno. I recommend this hotel to other tourists.

The staff members were very helpful. Safe & quiet environment. Excellent breakfast. Good location in accessing quality cafes. Staff member set up reservation for me with taxi service.

Floors of room not clean when we arrived, and not cleaned during 5!days stay. Cannot reccommend the breakfast.

Great location, by the Rambla. Clean and comfortable beds.

One lift, so usually you have to wait for it. Small buffet breakfast selection, but all good quality. One quilt and cushions were bit stain.

Great location. Close to busy and lively street with plenty places to eat and drink. In a heart of the city. Good hairdryer. Quiet hotel, we couldn't hear neighbors.

Ok for a base on a short stay.

The view from the window, looked out to a well. Incredibly hard pillows. Foyer looked more like a hostal than a 3 star hotel. Tired and drab.

Excellent location.

Fine for one night but noisy street outside with people partying through the night it seemed...

Room a tight squeeze for twin beds. Needed simple maintenance:One light did not work,toilet flush loose,only one plug in bathroom for basin and bath!

Location central, just off Ramblas. Had kettle and tea, coffee, milk, though limited supply!

The location is wonderful, 10 sec walking distance from...

Came tired after the flight palma de mallorca -barcelona. It was 9 a.m. but the staff could not find the opportunity for me to check in even with additional payment.. the view from the room is THE WALL, so it seems to be dark all the time.

The location is wonderful, 10 sec walking distance from rambla. From the port it is approximately 7 min of walking. The room is clean.

Good for short staying

Sometimes room was cleaned poorly. When i got in my room 4pm, just bed, blanket were made, leaving food scraps on the floor. I asked them to clean my room again. Also ventilator wasn't working in my room, bathroom was full of vapor while taking a shower. it was so humid Room wasn't soundproofed well so i could hear other people in their room talking in the hallway and in my room

Good location, available wifi in the room, private locker in the closet

Good location, needs major upgrades on cleanliness, great staff!

The rooms were small and not clean to my expectations. There were pieces of chips on the ground and lots of hair on the bathroom floor. The towels and bedsheets were clean, but also had hair on them. This hotel needs major upgrades on cleanliness. The room was a little small for our stay and had no windows making it dark all the time.

The location of the hotel was great, just off of the main strip of La Rambla. Great that it was close to the metro station.

Nice city break!

Pretty expensive for what it has to offer. Old feeling hotel, with rooms that have view to a concrete wall. If you open the windows, you will not see the sky, or fresh air. Problems in the bathroom, with the sewage sistem. Small elevator. No minibar in the room. Noisey air condition. They take the money in advance from your credit card, and not at the moment of check-in. At this money in Barcelona, we could have found better conditions, in other hotels, since we found out that the location is not a problem in Barcelona, because they have a good coverage of public or touristic transport.

Location- 30 meters from La Rambla street, 100 meters from Boqeria Market. 8-10 min walk to Catalunya Square. 10 min walk to Barcelonetta beach. The girls at the reception were pleasant and helpful, always smiling. Free maps in the reception area.

Great location but I would not stay there again.

Room would not cool down. Linens were very dingy. Moldy damp smell. I paid in advanced for breakfast but it didn’t open until 7:30 and we had to miss it because we had to leave for the airport by 7:30. We could hear people in the room next to us because the walls are so thin. Very sloppy repairs had been made to the room. Definitely not worth the money. I would expect this from a $50 per night motel but I paid four times that amount. When we arrived a couple was asking for their money back so they could leave and when we left for supper a woman was doing the same thing.

Staff and location was the only thing we enjoyed.

Really really dirty.

Really really dirty. Best bet for such a place, don’t think too much about it. Ironically, the place seems to be stuck in 1970s or something, everything’s old and dingy.

Perfect location with great value

Well, you should handle little things when it's the price like this. But nothing is bad really

The location is excellent. You can easily back to hotel to leave your bags after shopping from anywhere.

Very central if you want to be on La Rambla

Very very noisy, room was tatty including wood panels held up by sellotape, bathroom old with shower head past century, pillows were rock hard, once our room was not cleaned and had no towels, the next day no toilet roll.....and so on...

Very central if you want to be on La Rambla

Horrible smell.

Horrible smell. The staff were really polite. The window didn’t lock, when I opened and looked outside there were ladders looking as if someone could just get in our room. Noisy. Uncomfortable.

Disappointed

However the room was lousy! There was practically no natural light because the window was in interior part of the hotel that was closed with a skylight. The window could not be opened because the enclosed part smelled badly and was full of leftover tobacco. So it was impossible to air the room, and at one point the smelling smell inside the room was impossible to bear. The minibar was not cold and the room was dirty, dusty.

The hotel is very well located. The hotel staff is very friendly. Breakfast is very simple but decent.

Good value for money and in a very good location.
    • Family Room

Hadn't been cleaned properly - white powder on the floor! And hairdryer/fridge didn't work very well.

Good value for money and in a very good location.

Location is good.

Old Hotel,Noisy AC even when is OFF, Poor breakfest, Room was not clean, with the same money you cand find a better hotel. Not recomended.

Location is good.

good place as base for city visit.

rooms are small, and little room for unpackaging, but I expected this in a hotel at the heart of the city center

The bed was good, quiet room at the back, good breakfast, location on the Ramblas, right in front of the Metro

Would come back. But request most spacious room. Perfectly located for bus/metro/shopping

3rd bed was added to double room to make triple so space was restricted for 3 people. A triple room must be triple

Staff were always helpful Tried to resolve any problems we had

Location was very perfect ( the best for who want shopping...

small room

Location was very perfect ( the best for who want shopping and walking in the Ramlla road ) Near To Metro Staff was very Friendly and helpful

Central located hotel

Noise of ventilation system and the refrigerate didn't work. We had a 4 bed room, so the sitting chair was not comfortable for sleeping.

Location almost on Las Ramblas, close to the market and the Liceu metro station. The breakfast war good enough for me, the staff were helpful, speaking good English.

Eccellent location well connected to the airport and all...

No noise from the outside, but quite some from the hallway and other rooms.

Eccellent location well connected to the airport and all over city with metro, right in the centre so everything close by. Room with all essentials and private bathroom. Coffee, also decaf, and tea in the room.

Would definitely stay here again!

The Shower door was insufficient in that that shower floor would always get wet when we showered. You could see that it is a problem because the laminate flooring in the bedroom is warped.

Great Location!

Bathroom could be better it was a little bit old Hair dryer Room Refrigerator

Staff were extremely helpful and informative Excellent location Good price

I would use again.
    • Family Room

Some of the fittings were broken. A bit cold in the evening. Asked for extra blanket, did not arrive, although it was late and reception was alone.

great location. Good hotel. Good staff. I would use again.

We enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

Our window was a internal window facing a wall outside which wasn’t actually outside there was a roof above it.The room did get exceptionally hot and the aircon didn’t seem to be cold however we didn’t ask the staff to help so our own fault here.There was no soap or shower gel/shampoo so we got our own rather than ask (again our fault) however on the final night we come home to soap/shower gel etc which was a bit frustrating.

The hotel was clean and in a superb location.If you are like us and only really use a hotel room as a base and spend minimal time there it was ideal.The breakfast was basic but sufficient to start the day,I would say it was more than adequate for the price.

Practical location, fair room size, great for travelers on budget,You get more tha nwhat you pay for

Nothing major, all things were as expected.

The room is more than enough for what you're paying for The Staff are very friendly, and very helpful, and always smiling :) Hotel location is in the middle of the Rambla Street, 3 min away from Metro Station, which is very practical for a solo traveler. Would definitely revisit it on my next Barcelona Trip.

If you need a normal window (daylight, fresh air), I do not recommend.

Our room did not disposed of a window - '' our window'' was locked (i suppose there was just a well) - so neither fresh air, nor daylight - felt like a cellar.

Breakfast was ok, always fresh. I must say that bed was very comfortable, housekeeping was fine, too.

A cracking place to stay for a Barcelona break

If I’m going to be really picky some might not like the street noise as we were at the front of the hotel on the second floor, but I personally prefer a street view.

The room ( a twin ) was of an excellent standard with maid service every day and the location is as good as it gets for Las Rambla !!

Good value with a fabulous location.
    • Family Room

Air conditioning in the room.

The location was awesome! Staff was friendly. Rooms are a little older and small, but for the price and the location it is a great value!!

A great Birthday treat for myself. Enjoyed the stay.

Not able to change temperature of fridge in room.

Hotel is in ideal position/location. Nice clean room. Staff helped me book a ticket to see Barcelona match on my arrival.

The room was boiling. I woke up sweating every night with an awful headache. I asked the reception twice to help and they told me that it was winter so there was no air con and just to keep the front door open to let some air in... so I had to sit with the door open for 30 minutes each night at 2am to let air in... not great when you’re two young women travelling alone. Also, the maids came in and made the bed but didn’t take any of the rubbish that we left for them on the side. There was no bin provided in the room.

The location was great and the staff were ok.

Cheap OK hotel at 10 metres of Ramblas!

Cleanliness, found papers on the floor, a clothing label in the wardrobe. Not so fresh smell upon entry of the room. The air conditioning/ heating makes a lot of noise. I switched it off, but the noise kept on going. So must be the central system. Compare it with the noise when inside an airplane. (But a bit less in volume) There is about a 1 cm space under the door, so light from the hallway comes in the room at night, same with a blinking night on the phone. So for me as a bad sleeper it was not so great. WiFi was good till about 23:00h and than stopped working, was still connected, but couldn’t load any pages. Till the morning. A few things, but overal with the Genius promotion I paid a small price. So for the price that I paid was it sure ok!

Price/ quality OK. Central location at 10 metres from the Ramblas. Friendly check in. Room isolation, no noises from outside or neighbors.

Better that I expected (but due to price my expectations were not very high)

Very loud environment, 24/7. In January (and windows closed) sleeping was not that difficult but hot summer nights may be a different story.

Price, it was great! Perfectly ok place for a few days but some may find this location too noisy. Thirty seconds away from Metro and La Rambla, Carrefour etc. very near. Breakfast inexpensive yet ok.

Pathetic

Food Discipline Amenities AC Water was even not provided

Place is pathetic. They ran out of all basic amenities. Breakfast was always over in 1 hour which was supposed to be of 3 hours. No proper house keeping services. Local taxi costed me 1€ per km but taxi from hotel coated me 14€ per km unnecessarily. Commission is ridiculous. But all the rest of hotels of my stay provided taxi on same rate. No one should go to this place. Despite complaining daily, nothing was fixed and they were always sorry. No action was taken. Kitchen is poor.

Well situated. A very enjoyable stay at the Ramblas

Rooms are small and tight. In general, common areas are also small. However, within a very typical size for Europe

- Location (Las Ramblas). Close to the Boqueria Market) - staff people/ very freindly and cordial. Always willing to help us with logistics - Hot Breakfast buffet (prepaid) at the hotel was very very good

Fantastic location right on the Ramblas.

Fantastic location right on the Ramblas. I just needed a place to crash for the night, so it was simple accommodation, but absolutely ideal for me and very cheap

The staff where all extremely friendly and helpful.

My room had bedbugs. When I left the hotel my whole upper body was covered in bites. I had to throw out a majority of my luggage and cut my trip short to go home. I saw a bug on my first night in my bed but did not think anything of it as I was unaware bedbugs where that big. Was absolutely disgusted and would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Which is a shame because the staff and location where great. After doing some research I see there have been many reviews about bedbugs being found in this hotel. It’s amazing how nothing has been done to combat this yet.

The staff where all extremely friendly and helpful. Have tons of good information on what to do around the city. Always willing to help.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

Do not go unless you want to fight your rights as a client

Stayed 2 nights - first in a smoking room while their order confirmation promised a non-smoking room. After one night in very uncomfortable conditions and not sleeping with smell, noise from aircon and bad bed they moved us to a comfortable and spacious room. This hotel has two sets of rooms and the higher standard meets 3 star rating, but the lower standard is hardly 2 star and does not give value for the money. Both are advertized with same 3 star status and price. Selling smoking rooms intentionally as non-smoking is a big problem for the staff who are obliged to lie about the circumstances. Be careful about city tax requests by reception personnel. If you pay in cash, take a receipt. Hotel did not answer our emails about room quality problems.

Breakfast was under 3 star level and only one staff member served the buffet and cleaned tables etc.

Pretty good overall.

There was no soap in the room for wasjhing your hands and I had to ask for toilet paper.

The location was excellent and the staff were generally helpful.

Great Central Location.

Room a bit on the small size with a tiny window overlooking central core, thought we might have had a better room given we were there for four nights, Bathroom a bit tired looking, and bath was tiny! Overall though, ok, would book again.

Location, on the Ramblas, close to bars restaurants and shops. Metro close by and a short walk to the airport bus stop. Very quiet despite location, nice warm room with very comfortable bed.

It’s close to centrum but it’s just not good hotel to live...
    • Family Room

Breakfast was not good at all , I would never recommend anyone to book this hotel . Toilets were dirty and bed sheets were not clean either , found lots of hairs on blanket . We booked this hotel for 3 days but didn’t able to sleep well . Please don’t book this hotel

It’s close to centrum but it’s just not good hotel to live at , please don’t book this hotel if you are going with family and if you have good economy .

The hotel is very good located.

The hotel is very good located.The staff is very kind and helpful. The man from the first desk who works in the nights is a very kind person and he knows a lot of foreign langueges including english, french,russian and greek. But all the staff is very kind, ready to help you with all you need.

0 amenities

unprofessional staff , I requested an extend of my stay which was accepted . but next day the kick me out as they told me the hotel is fully booked . they didn't even have water to buy in the hotel.

Great location, cleanliness of room and helpful friendly staff.

Nothing, everything was good.

Room size was good. The location couls hardly be better just off La Rambla. Use of locked luggage room a great benefit. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room were unexpected in a Spanish hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would most certainly stay here again.

They didn't have any towels in my room when I checked in and the toiletries couldn't be opened. They also gave me 2 shampoo and no shower gel.

I will not return to this hotel although it is in the heart of where I wanted to be.

The room allocated on the first floor had no window, only a sliding door to a shaft. The adjacent room had its' bathroom window in this space. So when the occupants forgot the light at night, I could not sleep. I was not advised that I had booked such a room. Very inconvenient.

The location of the hotel is just fantastic. Just a couple of steps from La Rambla. Shops, restaurants and actually the famous pedestrian strip. The bed was very comfortable and ample ceiling and bedside lighting - but with a catch......

The bathroom was not clean .

The were no clean the hotel , the Location were very good .

The bathroom was not clean . I did ask front desk to clean bathroom and room but they did not do it ☹️ We did ask twice

In the center.

Breakfast could be better. Old tomatoes, strange eggs. I have seen much better choice other places.

In the center. Everything is just around connner. A big market 2 minutes from the hotel.

Love barcelona....this was 3rd visit. However arrived day after referendum...not so good!

People who cleaned + tidied bedrooms each day were lackadaisical. Bed not made properly on occasions. Tea/coffee making facilities in room not replenished and empty sachets not removed nor cup washed.

Location was excellent. Staff at reception very helpful as we wanted to go places on our own rather than organised tours which were expensive.

It was good though the room was little small than I thought.

What I did not like was - There was no soap/bath gel/body wash. (The front desk girl offered when I complained). There was no space in the room for using the working table & chair.

First - I did interact with any staff other than the Front Desk lady. I did not use Break fast also since I checked out at 5.45 AM. I liked the positive attitude of the front desk lady.

Not the cleanest hotel.

The experience was a little bit disappointing. We had traveled all over Europe at the standard of accommodation was along way short of what we were accustomed to. Bed linen was dirty and had a cigarette burn in the top sheet. When we asked for a replacement that's all we got. ..No offer from housekeeping to change it. The bathroom ceiling began to leak and maintenance were fairly blase about it and just offered towels to mop up. The overall standard of cleanliness from the housekeeping department was terrible. Dirty floors and bathroom with the prior occupants hair in the bathroom. ..Overall for the amount of money spent on the accomodation we didn't get value and I'm sure there are other hotel other options offering better value.

Close to La Rambla