Reviews of NH Canciller Ayala Vitoria 4 stars

Ramón y Cajal, 5, 01007 Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain

#4 of 21 hotels in Vitoria-Gasteiz

Would we stay again even though we have minor criticisms...yes and so should you, its great
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing really bar the view which was disappointing

Convenience getting to and from hotel. Location by the park is lovely. I booked last year and the hotel room/view was much nicer. Vitoria is a cultural beautiful city

Pleasant, well-located boutique hotel in Lagos.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The 10 minute uphill walk from the restaurants and bars.

It was a 10 minute walk downhill to the restaurants and bars. We also enjoyed the cliff-side walk which was a 20 minute walk away. Joanna and Jackie were lovely and very helpful in reception/bar areas.

Nice hotel in the center
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Hotel is near the center. We had a suite on the 9th floor. From there we could overlook the city. Good restaurants nearby. The breakfast was very good. If you arrive early you can park the car in the garage (extra cost)

Everything else at hotel was great
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Booked hotel as it said private parking when we got there it was full and had to park in a public car park with a cost. Asked if we could leave car in pull in space at front of hotel and check in are bags before going to public car park but got told no there was a 10 min max time waiting there so had to walk are cases through the streets.

Everything else at hotel was great

Hard beds make for sore bodies.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The bed was too hard and we woke up feeling unrested and stiff. The following night, I asked for pillows to sleep on and the hotel obliged. I have experienced this before and will not stay in Hilton, Sofitel or NH hotels again. Booking.com should supply information regarding beds as part of their service - it is not a holiday if you cannot sleep well.

Good location.

The location is excellent, beds are very comfortable and the...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

At the time of arrival we were given a very small room; so small that we had to take turns to move around. We complained and next day we were moved to a very good one with great view but no Internet. Apparently many guests were having the same problem as they were at the lobby to have a better reception. For some reason when the reservations are made through booking we've been given inferior rooms in various hotels especially in France.

The location is excellent, beds are very comfortable and the pillows as well.

Although just one night! It was very good.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It would of been nicer, if there was coffee and tea making facility in the room.

Friendly and helpfull staff. Hotel in a very central location. Easy to locate. 😎

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had a standard room as the hotel was very busy when we booked, a superior room would have been more comfortable. It was a bit cramped for 5 nights

It is in a good location with excellent parking

Good location, but hotel is not as good as reviews
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Really small room, I though I booked a large one. Really bad service at front desk, slow check in and -out. Nobody at the bar ever. Elevator floor was dirty, and was not vacuumed once in our 3 night stay. Very expensive garage (17€/night) even when I asked before, they told me there is no garage.

Tv was very large and wifi connection was really good. Bed was confty and bathroom funtional. Location was good for exploring town.

The location was handy for the centre and the museums.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The floorboards were very creaky. The hotel was noisy generally: you felt that you could hear noises from all the neighbouring rooms. The Reception staff were functional rather than friendly.

The location was handy for the centre and the museums. We had a Nespresso machine and bathrobes. The breakfast in NH hotels is always decent

I've leave my cellphone charger in the room (by...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I've leave my cellphone charger in the room (by accident) and when I came back to find it they told me that was not in my room! Please check that you have all your belongings when you leave the room, otherwise, probably you will lose them forever!

Excellent location.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No atmosphere but met all needs overnight.

Excellent location. Could park car outside to unload first. Next to public parks/boulevards so ideal with our dog. Walking distance of old town.

OK for business trip
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

my room didn't look at all like the ones shown on booking, it was much smaller and less "fresh" but overall, I don't have any negative comments

nice staff; good buffet breakfast; restaurant and bar in the hotel; room service; mini bar in the room; comfortable bed; bathtub in the bathroom

Clean and modern car parking under hotel made difference-...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room with Extra bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The steps outside the hotel are not great Health and Safety hidden lip at end of

Clean and modern car parking under hotel made difference- close to great walks and parks very good overall- restaurant offered fixed price excellent value overall

Good in all
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Cleanliness in the room 😔 ( they didn’t remove hair and papers from the floor ) Not enough paper toilets ( one small each day ) They didn’t change my bed the second day( it was full of hair loss and ink 😔 Cups and plates are dirty ( rest of cigarettes inside 😔 )

The location is very good

We loved the view.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room with Extra bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

It was very noisey and we had driven a long way from UK so we were tired. The guy on reception was very cool. We didnt feel very welcome. Air didnt work so we had to leave windows open which made it too noisey to sleep.

We loved the view. The room waa big, immaculate room.

Very helpful and honest staff, i left a walet with lots of...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bedrooms were very warm as aircon not in use due to time of year.

Very helpful and honest staff, i left a walet with lots of money in the room when we checked out , when i went back later in the day it had been sealed up in lost property.Parking was very secure and the location very good with great views from our windows.

View of the park is great and rooms are very modern
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was a little bit hot and couldn't operate the A/C in cold settings. It was very hard to sleep

View of the park is great and rooms are very modern

Hotel falls flat from check-in.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The receptionist who checked us in, no smile,no welcome, no apology for parking being full, which I accept was not his fault. He did not react well when I complained about the room. The room was not near the standard of previous stays at this hotel. I got 2 single beds I wanted a double. The room was much smaller than before. It had no view.

The wonderful lady who served us dinner who redeemed the hotel. She could have taught the receptionist a thing or two! Excellent breakfast.

Good stay in this very central and value for money hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

None of the staff at the reception desk spoke English. I had to speak French on several occasions. They were not particularly helpful. There were 2 single beds in the double room. No kettle in the room - as with all Spanish hotels.

Great view over the park from the room. Very good value evening meal. Great breakfast. Very close to the town centre.

Nice dogfriendly hotel. Would recomend.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Dog friendly. Dogs allowed in the bar too. Staff ok. Rooms nice. Hotel feels modern and upmarket. Its also in a fab location for all the downtown sights. Had a good meal here too.

Paradise!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was paradise! Wi-fi fast, Big comfy bed, all the top football channels on the tv, free complimentary gel and soap etc and even early breakfast as was leaving early. Deportivo la Coruña football team were staying there too. I left my camera in my room and they are sending it back to England which says it all how nice they are

Made to feel very welcome, staff could not of been more helpful
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was a little small but not difficult

Excellent staff, excellent location, excellent price, great room, nothing not to like. Will definitely stay again.

Great location and price.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room smelled like tobacco and we arrived terribly tired after a 12-hour drive so we did not really have any energies to move the luggage and the pet with us. We mentioned this to the staff but I am not sure this went anywhere else. There was parking but not availability and we had to park a couple of minutes away and bring the luggage (and pet) with us because nobody seemed to control the loading area in front of the hotel (where several cars seems to have parked)

Location, price, coffee and tea availability in the room. And that I could bring my pet.

Very good location, right besides the city center in...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

My room was quite dusty and two of the pillowcases have stains, plus a hole in one of them. Cleanliness left a bit to be desired this time (wasn't the case in previous stays here).

Very good location, right besides the city center in Vitoria-Gasteiz. Short walk to most main attractions in the city and some great restaurants. Well connected to most places by bus and tram. Train station is nearby. Very spacious room. Plenty of natural light. Quiet despite having a fairly busy (for Vitoria standards) street. Living-room space plus separate "open-bedroom" area. Decent beds. Big bathroom with plenty of space, proper set of amenities. Overall a very well equipped room (Nespresso machine, complimentary water, etc.). Fluid check in and check out process. Very diligent and helpful staff. Good breakfast. Eggs, bacon and other hot options on demand rather than part of the buffet (which makes you wait but guarantees a better quality). Good in-room dining variety and quality.

Clean, good central location and we were not disappointed.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Function in the restaurant meant we had to eat in the snack bar which was adequate. Also very slow at reception and had to queue to check-in.

Good for dogs, opposite park. Offered everything expected.

Great hotel in the centre of Vitoria.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Check in could have been a little quicker.

Good location, just a 10 minute walk to the beautiful old town of Vitoria and lots of fantastic restaurants and bars in the neighbourhood. Spacious and comfortable bedroom. The restaurant downstairs served a fixed menu for a reasonable price with delicious food and friendly staff.

Good hotel bad experience with booking.com
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Booking.com. I felt mislead by your website around the option to cancel and also disappointed that it was not clear that payment would be taken immediately. I will not be using your service again, especially as I could have got a similar deal booking direct with the hotel.

hotel was great value and we liked the staff. NH is a good brand.

Interesting and unexpected.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no parking available in the hotel. We were advised to go to a nearby parking lot which charged us for the 2 minutes we were there to check if we wanted to park, In general, parking is 15 - 20 Eur for 1 night at these covered parking house.

A very nice hotel

No issues

The hotel is in a great location - only minutes from the centre of Vitoria. The hotel is bright and clean and provides excellent food in its restaurant. We were very hapoy with our experience there.

I will never come back to this hotel in vitoria
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The receive of the client was bad. Also the booking was without creditcard or what so ever. He tried to get a guarantee from me like I am a thief!! Also for that price he gave me the worst room ever of NH Hotel.

The shower was good

PERFECT
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The wifi kept getting cut off, pls work on that

The staff were very nice and professional. They didn't have a bellboy, but the staff helped me with my heavy luggage. A great experience in this beauty city, and a great hotel.

Good location and very helpful staff.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Sound insulation in the building was not good and we were woken by late night arrivals. Parking on the premises was expensive at 17.90 euros per day, however we found free parking( white lines) a short distance away.

Our room on the 6th floor was spacious with a great view of the park and church.

A very pleasant city break in the heart of the Basque Country.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

When we arrived the receptionists didn't speak English. This wasn't much of a problem as we were able to converse in French. There are staff who speak English, but they weren't on duty when we arrived.

Our room was on the 8th floor with great views over a park and to the cathederal. A 10 minute walk took us to a large square with lots of great buildings and plenty of bars and restaurants. A little further on was the plaza major which was great for peapole watching as well as having great architecture. As befit the capital city of the Basque Country, there were many shops selling upmarket goods.

Fabulous, would stay again.
    • Suite with View and Terrace

When we booked a room with a terrace, we had no idea it was an entire suite _ and 12 people could easily have had dinner on the terrace. The view was stupendous; during the day we could see not only the park right below and church of the Virgen Blanca, but the mountains as well. At night we could see the lights of the church and those in Constitution Square.

Great but not with a dog
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I wasn't told how much I would be charged for my dog even though I emailed on 2 occasions. The price was 20 euros which I find excessive as she wasn't allowed anywhere but the room and foyer. This also meant we were unable to eat there for breakfast or dinner.

Hotel location, room and facilities great.

Nice location, modern hotel, needs some redesigning
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The staff at the reception was a bit cold. We got a room next to the lift and it was very noisy: there are sofas next to the lifts and some guests gathered around these sofas, chatting very loudly. They should remove those sofas. The space around the rooms shouldn't be used for social gatherings, and the sofas are allowing thoughtless guests to do that.

Great location, next to the Florida park, we were lucky to get a room with direct views to the cathedral. The room was comfortable and modern, as you can expect from an NH.

Great locations, rooms could do with updating
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was a little shabby, rip in chair and didn't appear to be finished to a high standard for a 4* hotel. Only 2 lifts, very slow. Parking was full when we arrived but we used parking nearby

Fantastic location, helpful and friendly staff on reception, gave brilliant recommendations on Pintxos bars in the area.

Comfortable hotel in good location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Spacious clean room with good bathroom. Nice view from our room of the cathedral and a park which was busy at times with restaurants and on one night, dancing. Good location to explore Vitoria. Nearby tram line to train station for day trip to Bilbao.

Definitely a 10/excellent hotel and staff also
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Wished we had known the AC would be turned off at night, once that was cleared up, with the window Open we slept well

Front desk staff friendly and efficient/restaurant Staff excellent/ dinner outstanding and appetizers At the bar wete first rate/ no comlaints

Location, good dining staff.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Non helpful front desk person, watched my partner struggle with 2 suitcases while i tried to park car, booked hotel because of parking included only to be told it wasn't available, had to park about 700m away!! Very poor😕😕

Location, good dining staff.

Glad we spent two nights there.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

What we disliked cannot be rectified as it concerns the building itself. The planners of the hotel cheated as they didn't make soundproof the space between one floor and another. If you don't want to hear the guests above you dropping their shoes then ask for a room on the top floor!

Kind receptionists. Very helpful waiters in a very pleasant dining room. Though the hotel car park was full we were able to find free street parking as we were there during August. Easy access to the historic part of Vitoria.

Vitoria-Gasteiz is a great town and deserves a better NH hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No prior info about hotel parking options were given. Parking quite away. Nobody helped us to bring the luggage into the hotel, not even a question whether help is needed. Hotel needs modernisation on 5th floor. Small bed in a very small room with a poor view, too small window. Chaotic situation when too many people at breakfast. Staff could be more friendly.

Only the nice location close to a beautiful garden and not far away from the old town can be raised.

The underground parking was way too narrow for any large car.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The underground parking was way too narrow for any large car. The doord of an entrance scratched my car. Hopefully we will fix it soon. The director promised their insurance would take care of it. Other than that (which was quite disappointing), the hotel is amazing!

Very poor quality food in restaurant
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Had a terrible evening meal in the restaurant. They need a new chef. We couldn't eat the meat it was so tough. It brings the overall standard of the hotel way down

We loved our room and the location

Always comfortable in NH hotels !

All was perfect !

We enjoyed again one of the NH hotels. Always comfortable and good location. Close to the park and city on walking distance. The restaurant serves a good menu as well.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

The property is located at a wonderful place - right across...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The property is located at a wonderful place - right across the street from a beautiful park with old, very tall treas. The hotel is impeccably clean and comfortable. The hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast very rich. I liked just everything!

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Lovely full-service hotel- real treat
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Can't think of a thing. Really a lovely hotel with all the amenities we usually forego on vacations.

We needed a place to stay for one night at the last minute in Vitoria and were very pleased to find a room on a Sunday night at Hotel NH Canciller. The location was terrific -- two blocks from the Renfe station, right on a beautiful park, short stroll to the old city, convenient to Metro direct from the new bus terminal. Our room (814) overlooked the park and many church spires in the distance. A real treat. The bed: fantastic; bathroom; luxurious. In retrospect, we were sorry we did not try the daily menu dinner at the hotel -- an imaginative offer at a bargain price.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Great location right besides the city center.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No complains in my stay. Doesn't have a gym (I think), might be the only weakness if that's correct.

Great location right besides the city center. Close to main attractions in the city, plenty of food options around (some of them high quality places), very well communicated by bus and tram. Train station is a short walk distance from the hotel. Fluid check in and check out process. Helpful and nice staff. Very good room in my case. Very spacious, clean and cozy. Living room area plus the bedroom (not a door separating the stances). Big bathroom with an excellent set of amenities. Balcony with views to Parque La Florida. Wasn't noisy on the third floor. Very good breakfast, lot of options and good quality. Room service was quite decent as well. Nice staff in the restaurant.

“One night stopover to see Wellington's battles sights”
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A smart chain hotel 400m from the heart of the city. Met all our expectations with few issues. The shower temperature was temperamental, apparently varying ,with the guests use of hot/cold water. We would have expected thermostatic controls fitted to the showers in a hotel of this class. This could be easily fixed. More difficult to fix is lack of lift capacity. While there are two lifts (useful if one breaks down) they are both small, taking only three people with one piece of luggage each. This creates a bottleneck at busy times trying to service 9 floors. While the view from the top floors may be good, I would stay on one of the lower floors. In the hotel's favour was the overall excellent service and attention, and extensive breakfast buffet with eggs cooked to order if requested.

Great location and a hotel with all that you need
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Some noise from upstairs or adjacent rooms

Clean with everything you need for a comfortable stay. Accepted pets which is a bonus - we find sometimes we are charged for a pet and sometimes not as she is only a Yorkshire Terrier

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

We would return!!!!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We had to leave sooner., than preferred. I wish we could have stayed longer.

Extraordinary location, across a gorgeous park and close to everything. Buffet breakfast was delicious. Room appeared suite size with a foyer and living room area. Loved the refrigerator, coffee & tea machines. The view was stunning. It was awesome to be able to open the double door windows & feel the fresh air. Hotel was clean and attractive. We would return.

Nice "value" hotel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The hotel parking is very limited. I was traveling with a car full of belongings and when I arrived I was told that the car park was full. Whilst it did take more than a little expression of my disappointment, the receptionist and her colleague did manage to find me a space within their secure parking.

Great location in a very pretty town

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Lovely hotel within an easy walk of the old town
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We were travelling with a dog, who they accepted but the supplement for this was a bit pricey. Also parking can be difficult.

A beautiful and comfortable hotel within an easy walk of the old town.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Excellent overnight stop.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

nothing, everything was as it said on the tin!

Warm comfortable room. Really good comfortable beds with excellent soft pillows. Helpful staff and reasonable inexpensive evening meal. Weather had closed in so it was convenient to eat at the hotel

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

A great place as a base.
    • Suite with View and Terrace

Lift was very noisy and we could hear it every time it moved, but we got used to it. Food in hotel quite expensive. Wifi not great unless you paid for it.

Booked early and got a suite with a terrace for a very very reasonable price. Central location meant that there were lots of places to eat close by rather than in the hotel. Very comfortable room with a huge bed. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

A great stopover in a bustling, vibrant city.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We were happy with everything.

A modern hotel in a great location with secure underground parking and excellent facilities. The staff were very efficient & welcoming and the breakfast was particularly good.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Not up to 4 star standards!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

20 euros for my pet to sleep on a bare floor! Poor quality toilet paper! Smell of smoke in halls and elevators! Excessive car parking charge. Slow draining sink in bathroom and dripping toilet. No soap holder in shower.

The room was very clean and neat. The restaurant look nice but we didn't dine there because we had our pet with us. The male receptionists we encountered were polite and very informative.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Breakfast is amazing : huge choice
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

As in all NH hotels , wifi works well but I cannot connect my professional VPN Parking always full Not very cheap compared to the average...

Breakfast is amazing : huge choice Great location at walking distance to all you may need in Vitoria including restaurants and bars

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Comfortable stay in ideal location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing at all, would gladly stay here again!

Ideal location overlooking beautiful Florida Park and short walk to historic centre, large room and well-equipped bathroom with an enormous lotus/rain shower, nice toiletries and box tissue,efficient check-in with city map and helpful checkout by same lovely lady who called a taxi for us to the bus station.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Disappointing. Not up to our expectations of an NH Collection Hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Bed uncomfortable and room very commercial and utilitarian. Sound proofing bad and woken up both nights at about 5.15 am with the people in the room above us stomping around. Result little sleep. Not inviting to spend time in. Coffee/tea facilities practically not existent and weren't replenished the second day. Foyer barnlike and didn't encourage sitting there. Lifts slow to arrive. The Palacio de Burgos which we stayed in the previous three nights was far superior,less expensive and a pleasure to stay in.

Location and cleanliness. Near public transport and liked looking over the Park.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

A very comfortable and conveniently located 4 star hotel.
    • Standard Quadruple Room

During my stay the hotel was busy, resulting in long waits for the 2 lifts.

1. The large 3 bed room with balcony on the 7th floor. 2. Private Parking. 3. 3 minutes walk from the cathedral. 4.. Variety of choices for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Once checked in, car sorted, it was a lovely stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no information stating the car park was underground and you have to park the car on a main road to run in and ask the reception to open the garage gate, run out & try to enter the car park from a main road.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and always ready to please.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Short walk to the old town.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking was a pain, as garage was full. Hard to find a spot on the street. 20 euro for the dog!

Short walk to the old town. Hotel condition was light, bright and new. Phone charger available at front desk.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

An excellent inexpensive hotel
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

A couple of minor quibbles are that you couldn't watch TV from the bed and there were no English channels.

This hotel wins our 'best shower in a bath tub ever award'. Powerful, easy to operate, right temperature. It sounds silly but poor showers often let down very good hotels. This is a very good hotel. We had an executive room on the 8th floor with views over the park. It was a large room with a seating area. It had good facilities. Breakfast was included in our room rate and there's a wide selection of food in a pleasant room. You can order eggs, etc as well as the usual array of cold food typical in Spain. The infernal slow toaster that doesn't toast bread meant I did without the slightly singed bread you get after an interminable wait. But fine even for that. The hotel is located just outside the historic centre of Vitoria but everything is a short stroll away. It's also relatively inexpensive.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Stay here.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Had to park in an underground car park around the corner.

All of it. Although we only stopped for one night. Price was great, location good, room was excellent very comfortable, staff were helpful and the restaurant served very good food.

Estupenda y confortable estancia

Retraso ascensor

Comfortable Bed & Excellent Location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

My room needed a good dusting.

Comfortable bed and excellent location.

Best possible location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Sound proof coud be better between the rooms

Best possible location

Location excellent.Great hotel.Would go back

No coffee maker in room

Restaurant food was excellent Breakfast and dinner

Great location easy walk across the park to the centre.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Great location easy walk across the park to the centre.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Good location and interesting city.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Being put in a handicap room.

Breakfast and the service. Location. The young lady who gave us tourist information on the desk along side reception.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Location, parking, room decoration & view (garden), baby...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing. Good value for money and convenient

Location, parking, room decoration & view (garden), baby bed & welcome kit