Reviews of Playa de la Luz 4 stars

Avenida de la Diputación, s/n, 11520 Rota, Spain

#5 of 20 hotels in Rota

Read more- opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: 31 October 2018

Comfort and relaxation at the Playa de la Luz

There was nothing I did not like.

The Playa de la Luz is one of the finest hotels in Rota. My room was spacious. It was also very clean. The location of the hotel is in a quiet part of Rota. Where the hotel is located, at other end of the town of Rota, is far away from the crowds and noise.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

The food was great! and the room very comfortable. The beaches were right outside our room. The staff was great and a very clean hotel. Nice Beds Great Location

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Very nice, with a few failed "moments of truth".

After three days, we asked the maid to replace our used glasses with clean ones, and she asked 'why?' and put up a bit of resistance. The hotel did not provide any soap if you wanted to wash them yourself. My wife took a peach with her while leaving the breakfast area, and she was told that she couldn't take the peach, or she would have to pay for it. That is ridiculous. Our room was a Junior Suite, but there was no microwave or coffee machine.

The pool areas were very nice. We didn't use the restaurant, but the Bar Sherry was good for food and drinks. The breakfast buffet is outstanding.

Superb place to stay!

NOTHING!

Everything - loved the location & the Atlantic and being so near the sea & being able to sit out at night and listen to the sea! Staff were excellent but the guy in the wellness centre who did my massage was top class! All and all a superb place to go!

A satisfied Grandad.

No complaints.

Iiked everything about the hotel, pool, restaurant, staff, food, cleanliness, & location. I think it is rather expensive for me as a single person. Can you give me a better deal if i book again for a 4th time when visiting family.

1) No gym/workout facility

1) No gym/workout facility 2) Distance from the rest of the city center 3) Breakfast should have been included in the rate 4) Refrigerator in the room was barely colder than room temperature 5) Shower drain backed up quickly

Really nice place where to rest

Staff very firendly, Place very quiet, really good to rest Nice and big room and bathroom, really comfortable Beaches in the nearhood very big and beautiful, quiet and peaceful Restaurant La Gaviota very good and not expensive

We found the Hotel Playa de la Luz to be an idyllic retreat from the travails of travel.

Nothing to complain about.

My wife and I stayed four nights at the Hotel, and found the experience refreshing thanks to the very clean, spacious and comfortable accommodations, the helpful staff, the excellent breakfast buffet and the Hotel's beachfront location. We did not use the Hotel's pool or its fitness facilities, preferring instead to swim in the ocean and to walk on the beach, which at low tide offers the curious a variety of marine life and especially Los Corrales de Rota. Our accommodations included a patio with chaise lounges and an umbrella, and a splendid view of the Hotel's courtyard and the beach in the distance.

We were looking for somewhere to stay en route to a wedding in Jerez. Perfect choice.

Food was excellent in La Gaviota but they brought all our courses at once with no apparent concept of starter and main course. However this wasn't a major problem - just quite amusing to have a food overload.

Lovely family hotel in a great location. Super beaches for children. A very nice terrace overlooking the Atlantic for serious sunbathing. Good food. Excellent,helpful, friendly staff.

The beach

Some of the staff weren't that helpful, I was asking if I could book a massage through the front desk and one of the ladies told me to go to the wellness center and book, I want and you need a key to get in, very annoying. I went back and she was like, they are closed and I also asked if they book quick, she was like you should be fine. Went I went back later, one of the receptionist gave me a number to call, I called and they were booked for the whole month of August. The location was nice, right be the beach. No shopping near, when I asked the receptionist, she gave me the look like I don't know what you are saying...if you are a receptionist at the resort with Spanish, French, English speaking Spanish etc folks staying you should be more helpful with the guest especially for paying app that money and doesn't make sense to pay a good amount on a resort and have to pay extra for the beach club or whatever it was called, what a rip off. Also, to have your guest pay for umbrellas and chairs that are already planted on the site is ridiculous.

The beach

Another great stay!

Waiting times for food & staff were very long this year when considering prices when compared to other restaurants. WiFi was very slow (premium WiFi should be for granted when paying a premium price for suites...)

We visit Rota every summer and we started staying at this hotel as it is in a great location, best facilities (spa & pools) and the suites are very spacious & clean. The grounds and atmosphere is exceptional.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Excellent breakfast and nice hotel

in the ocean near the hotel it is impossible to swim, many algae. We're upset.

It was good that there was a children's pool. Also the breakfast was excellent. Staff is very friendly. They give gifts to children on arrival.

Great for families if you want to be on the beach, but not if you want to be in town.

first floor villas had little privacy, as people walking right by your windows on the boardwalk. Meals were a "zoo" with far too many people all at once at a buffet service - not our style.

The location was on the beach. If that is what you wanted, great, but a good long walk from town and restaurants. Bathrooms were large and nice.

Everything perfect

Junior suite was enormous,large fridge a bonus!.Two balconies.nice couch for watching tv. Beds were enormous!,cleanliness,attentive,warm staff.

Overall very good but with some disappointments

There are no double beds in the hotel. I booked a ‘double room’ but it was actually only a twin room. Particularly disappointing, given that it was our anniversary! Although there was a small fridge, it was empty and there was no mini bar

Loved that the junior suites were so close to the sea and that it was possible to walk along the beach to reach the hotel

Overall a great stay

Main restaurant staying open later. Due to being late in the season restaurant hours were being cut back

Both a balcony and a sunning area on the other end of your room

The property is very attractive bit the food and service could have been better.
    • Double Room - Single Use

There is not much within walking distance unlike at the Duque. The staff was not very welcoming. Though the breakfast selection was great, the quality was average. Offering custom eggs or omelettes would have been a big plus.

The location is convenient, and the hotel is situated right on the beach

the hotel is very well maintained and clean, the staff isall...

I am very sorry to say this but it was a real disappointment. Horrible quality of the food at the restaurant: the buffet dinner 20EU per person without drinks in Rota is a rip off,. The variety is good but the quality of the food served and displayed is extremely low, even the Spanish recepies are badly prepared. for example Wednensday night they had 3 or 4 type of rice (looking like paella) and they were not edible to me, more similar to mashed potatoes than to a Spanish arroz, not to mention the quality of the fish, they were grilling in the show cooking section. The breakfast buffet is a bit better but for intance NO FRESH ORANGE JUICE in Rota in a 4* Hotel it is a shame. In general the restaurant was a big minus: I bet Spanish people would not like it...maybe it is good for big groups of all inclusive type of turists coming from northern Europe who only care about drinking a lot but for food you better go to one of the MANY nice restaurants in Rota downtown, where with 20EU per person you can eat like a king: sitting down and served, have good drinks included and great fish or meat in a real typical Spanish style.

the hotel is very well maintained and clean, the staff isall helpful, the SPA is very nice and new with grear cheap treatments, in particular I enjoyed the special pillow they have available for cervical pain and the comfort of the matress, the rooms are nice and very clean.

Very nice hotel with a relaxing Beach Vibe.
    • Double Room - Single Use

The beds are hard, like most all beds in Spain. There is a 5e beach towel deposit that must be paid in cash. The WiFi network required frequent logins.

The entire staff is friendly and very hard working. The selection of items at the breakfast and dinner buffets was exceptional - it was easily the best selection of vegetables and salads in Spain. The dining room wait staff is the hardest working I have seen in Spain. The hotels lay-out and easy beach access makes it a fun place to stay.

will stay again

WiFi is very poor, kicked me off several time each day - there is premium to purchase but the standard option shouldn't disconnect so often.

Excellent selection each morning

Fantastic stay on the beach with kids

We stayed for 4 nights in August. The staff was very nice. I had made two reservations through booking.com and I made a mistake with my second reservation. Although the error was mine, we somehow all got upgraded to much nicer rooms. We stayed in newly renovated two bedroom with two full bathrooms, a living room with pull out sofa and a kitchen! This is much more than we were expecting. My sister was upgraded to a rooftop room that had a huge terrace and incredible ocean views. The resort itself is very kid friendly, there is a kids club. We traveled with two 6 yr olds and a 5 yr old, but they didn't want to do kids club, but the kids I saw seemed to enjoy it. It's also nice to be on the beach. The beach isn't particularly nice, but it was fine and we knew that when we made our reservation. Considering it was prime vacation time in Spain, I felt we got a great deal. We ate at the breakfast buffet and it was great. We stayed in six different hotels while in Spain and this was our favorite breakfast. I think Spain isn't that big on breakfast, so this was surprisingly nice. We didn't do the buffet for dinner, but if it's anything like breakfast it should be good too. The location is actually great for day trips. We went to Jerez and Arcos de la Frontera. Arcos de la Frontera is a must and is only about 30 minutes away. There are also other small towns, including San Lucar de Barrameda which we heard are worth a trip too. This hotel exceeded our expectations.

Nice hotel right on the beach.

Nice hotel right on the beach. The breakfast is unbelievable. Great parking. We didn't find any restaurants close to this location which was disappointing.

Very pleasant staff and a nicely set out pool area.
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Pool temperatures! Ice-cold. Very difficult to get sun-beds close to the pool because of all the tables and chairs.

Very pleasant staff and a nicely set out pool area.

Relaxing beach holiday

Drinks from the Bar Sherry were delicious and happy hour is a must! Even though we were so close to the beach, we spent two days by the pool because the atmosphere was so tranquil. Would definitely go back again.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Excellent front sea hotel

Prices for bar consumption a bit high (sandwich for example) Hotel is a lot focused on large charter group (TUI, etc). This makes individual travellers like us feel a bit like different species. You will enjoy more the hotel with a car, allowing to go for food shopping and also quickly drive down to city centre for dinner and ice cream.

Junior suite with view on Ocean is worth the money just for the view and the sound of sea. Very good breakfast buffet, while quite busy. Excellent pools. Nice inner garden with enough shadow, beach in front of hotel with enough space left and right, perfect for morning jogging/walk.

Excellent location. Excellent property. A must stay in Rota!
    • Double Room - Single Use

There weren't as many beach chairs available on the ocean deck and, although it wasn't stated it appeared that you were not allowed to take the beach chair off the cement deck and onto the sand. This would have been nice at lower tide.

The location of this property is excellent! The rooms open directly into the courtyard, which has a wonderful garden feel. The pool and bar are literally footsteps from the rooms and the beach is less than a 1 minute walk. The breakfast buffet was great and I highly recommend it for the price. The offerings were diverse and delicious! This beach here was very clean and there was a nature walk along a well maintained board walk for several miles in each direction. The board walk meandered through the dunes along side the beach under the natural canopy as well as directly along the ocean front. It was a great way to spend an early morning or late evening.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Great Hotel with excellent parking. Shame about the restaurant!

The main restaurant is buffet style and if you are a late diner the remaining products could be limited. Tried it once and not to my liking and would not return. Much prefer the a traditional menu style restaurant service. There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms. Which in my experience is the norm these days.

The room are huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and again spacious with a separate toilet area. The garden areas have swimming pools, one of them is shallow for children. There is a bar next to the pool which sells very good bar food.

A very nice place on the beach!

WiFi is a bit slow, fine for mails, slow for videos or downloads.I did not test the spa or the gym, but was told the gym was ok, if a bit run down.

Very nice breakfast - I did not eat early in the morning, but prepared myself a few sandwiches for later and no one ever complained. The beach is near-by, the village of Rota is very nice, with many tasteful houses and the village center at about 20 minutes walking distance. Many nice restaurants in the area. Jerez is about half an hour away. Nice swimming pool, somewhat protected from the wind (a big issue in this area), bar that serves very generous drinks. Nice rooms, simple, but clean and not too small. Overall a place I would recommend wholeheartedly, and will return to!

Always wishing to come back

The hotel is getting better with the time. Near the beach, with a really nice patio where you want to stay forever near the swimming-pool having a refreshing sangria... The staff is nice and always tries to help you. I can say that half of the times we've been there we were upgraded to a better room. We always come back!

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Wonderful view loooking out over the ocean from the front...

The bed was extremely uncomfortable.

Wonderful view loooking out over the ocean from the front window in the bedroom. Beautiful resort with perfect little details incorporated. Spacious accomodations and easy parking. Easy access to beach, great courtyard with pool (Though we visited off season).

Great Andalusian hotel on beach
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Wellness center could be open (gym was inaccessible); pool could be heated (a lot to ask :)

Great reception staff (Imma); Fantastic beach location, although remote; nice Andalusian architecture; Pizza & Pasta restaurant nearby excellent

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Beautiful beach front hotel

Beautiful hotel on the beach. I recommend a room with ocean view. Our room lieterally faced directly onto the pristine beach The most beautiful sunsets and hearing the surf every night was so relaxing. Beautiful boardwalk along the ocean and many good restaurants.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Awesome hotel; great location and scenery and good food. Very accommodating staff
    • Superior Double Room Single use

Would have preferred to be informed that the hotel was closing for the winter half-way through my stay when I made my reservations

Hotel is clean & comfortable with a great staff

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Great facilities, excellent staff, great value

A little isolated. No decent restaurants nearby

Great facilities, excellent staff, great value

I've never seen this before: the hotel offers a...

I've never seen this before: the hotel offers a wonderful choice of 'pillows' (10 different sorts of..) ;-)

EXCELENTE HOTEL EN PRIMERA LINEA DE PLAYA

la magnifica atencion del personal

Great!

Everything was perfect

The cleanest and largest room we have stayed in for the price and breakfast was outstanding.

Exceptional
    • Double Room - Single Use

Internet service needs to be improved

Staff were very helpful and friendly.

great well established hotel in a superb location
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

great location, friendly helpful staff and great facilities

Lovely weather nice staff good food very clean enjoyed

Been English speaking some difficulty getting point across

Food very good ample quantity

Is was great

The area and the room

The mould in our bathroom

The mould in our bathroom

Excellent Hotel

Have a longer happy hour at the bar! :)

Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent rooms.

Great location for access to the Jerez motogp

Quite pricey!

lovely friendly hotel

Gorgeous hotel, pool and facilities.

Gorgeous hotel, pool and facilities. Very comfortable beds, beach was wonderful. I absolutely loved this place

agrabable

La habitación sin nunguna vista, elegi este hotel por estar a pie de playa.

Playa de la Luz en Semana Santa or Holy Week

All ok, nothing to dislike

Very friendly and helpful staff, room clean, spacious and great balcony.

Enjoyed the stay
    • Superior Double Room Single use

Great hotel

Hotel Playa de La Luz is a nice, well-placed hotel with friendly staff that's a great value!
    • Double Room - Single Use

The location by the beach is great!

Will make this my stop every to to Rota.

Needs we're uncomfortable

Location and staff

Storm Felix
    • Double Room - Single Use

Not all facilities were open

On the beach

Great location and Price!

The property was right next to the beach and affordable as well!

Will return in the future!

NA

Everything was excellent.

amazing

lovely villa for my 70th

Fantastic seaside location.

Fantastic seaside location. Helpful and conscientious staff

Great location and pool with bar service
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Room wasn't really a suite as we had booked

Location, pool

Gorgeous Spanish Villa Experience

Outside the gate alomg the playa, very dirty beach not manicured as the rest of beach along Rota.

Beautiful set up with courtyards and pool.

Un buen sitio, tranquilo, y a pie de playa en Rota.

Demasiado lento el checking y el checkout

Un buen sitio, tranquilo, y a pie de playa en Rota.

Nice
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Please update room decor, curtains, add English tv station and update pull out couch which didn't work

Most everything

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Nice views to the beach

Nice views to the beach

Another lovely stay in a classy hotel

Cleanliness staff food prices beach room location

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Great beach location.

Quiet and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Nice but a little overpriced

Dated facility . It was like taking a walk back in time strange pool hours

Beach access

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

great place, great time, great ocean, great food
    • Superior Double Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

great place, great time, great ocean, great food

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Excellent facilities and restaurants.

Excellent facilities and restaurants. Enjoyed the beach location and easy parking.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

I like the room size, bathroom and amenities!
    • Junior suite Familiar

I did not like how the beds were, I also didn't like the thin blankets

I like the room size, bathroom and amenities!

Would return again.

Meet and greet exceptional. Room excellent, atmosphere excellent.

Best hotel to rest and take a break

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Nice place with friendly staff
    • Double Room - Single Use

Breakfast and dinner included and was excellent

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

Great location right on the beach

The position of the tv mounted on the wall in the room is a bit odd But in our case we didn't really need it

Great location right on the beach The pool area is great

• Reviewed: 3 April 2016

Breakfast was great.

The choice and quality of the food in the Sherry Bar was poor. No kettle in the room.

Breakfast was great. We loved the location and the hotel facilities were very good.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2016

Location is great if you don't mind a beachwalk to the...

If you're not a buffet person, your dining options are limited, most restaurants around were sill closed. It was disappointing that the seaside Atlantic bar at the hotel stops serving food at 19:30 Would have been great for Tapas, even a hour later would make a difference

Location is great if you don't mind a beachwalk to the city center.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2016

When they could, the staff allowed me to remain either in my...

When they could, the staff allowed me to remain either in my room or on the property longer because I had a late flight to catch. They were helpful beyond belief on this point.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2016

On the beach.

The floors were dusty as if they hadn't been cleaned in a while. It is also a little ways away from stores and restaurants, but I really didn't mind because I'd simply stroll down the beach to where the action is. It is great for relaxing.

On the beach. Plus, they gave me a room upgrade which was nice.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

Very friendly and I like the Seaview from my room.

The restaurant was closed. All I could get was a sandwich.

Very friendly and I like the Seaview from my room. They let me take some cheese and bread to my room. And opened a bottle of wine I had brought with me. Next time I will go during a better season.

There are also 39 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.