Reviews of Hotel Plaza Mayor 2 stars

Atocha, 2, Madrid City Centre, 28012 Madrid, Spain

#266 of 327 hotels in Madrid

Very close to all key areas , no need for taxi Hotel \ rooms...

All good

Very close to all key areas , no need for taxi Hotel \ rooms was very clean more important the people in the front desk outstanding very friendly and help in all matters If I return to Madrid against this will be the hotel of choice

Good location but that's all

Too many steps, small room size. Rooms need upgrade and refurbishment. Terrible design of toilet as door cannot be opened properly due to location of sink

Location and friendly reception

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Location was excellent.

Abrupt and borderline rude reception... Yes i made an error in booking and i apologised...Just wanted a double room and my 2yrold daughter was sleeping with us...but a big deal made about it that ive inconvienced them as they had to upgrade me to a superior...not very superior in my opinion..

Location was excellent....clean hotel.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

• Superior Twin Room

The mattress was way too firm! There was a “funky”smell that I couldn’t identify that was not pleasant at all. The room was clean and tidy.

Great value. Great location. Super staff.

The air con was poorly maintained in the first room we were given.

Great location and really helpful staff. I have stayed here before and would come again. The facilities are basic, but well within what should be expected for this price range and the hotel is immaculately clean and comfortable. The location is superb. The aircon was a major problem in the room that we were given and with the temperature around 45 degrees during the stay our first night was really uncomfortable. We thought the aircon had been regulated in order to save on power. Having raised our concerns, we were moved the following night though.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Best experience

Some times the wifi got slow but nothing that would compromise much.

AC, big bathroom, TV with good variety of channels. The bed was comfortable. The staff was very nice. We were allowed to leave my luggage on the hotel after the end of our stay so we could walk on the city before we had to go to the airport.

Great!

The room was simple but it was exactly what we needed for our stay. We were given a brand new room as the hotel had just had work done and it was lovely and clean. The shower took about 5 minutes to heat up but when it did, it worked perfectly. The location was perfect and would definitely return to this hotel just for that reason.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Hotel Plaza Mayor July 18

Poor breakfast for €8, no hair dryer and poor Wi-Fi in the room made it difficult to research where we wanted to go

Amazing location, some really great members of staff,one lovely gentleman was a tour guide in Madrid he had lots of info and helped us get back to the airport after problems with a pre booked transfer. Cheap chilled drinks avaliable at reception. Clean room, nice shower (although if on too strong would flood the bathroom). Fantastic aircon, good place to store luggage on check out and a fairly let check out time of 12pm. Thank you for having us, We would recommend to anyone wanting a prime location in Madrid in a nice reasonably priced hotel.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

A well-located, and now modern, hotel in a great city

The one change for the worse is the new location of the breakfast room - now on floor -2, with a great many steps up and down. It used to be on floor 0. The curtains in my room could not be fully closed

The place has been smartened considerably since my previous visit and is now more comfortable

The hotel is located in a very central position- it was not...

The hotel is located in a very central position- it was not necessary for us to take any public transport as the main attractions are all very close to it; also, the staff of the hotel is extremely kind. Every room is provided with air conditioning - which was very appreciated as the weather was quite hot 😅 Absolutely recommended!

Love it!

I will have like a room with a view but this time my room was interior, that have an advantage, you don't hear the street noise.

Location!!! The hotel is clean, rooms are small but comfortable, people are nice. It's my 3rd time in the hotel. Across from Playa Mayor, steps from Puerta del Sol and Mercado San Miguel and the Mesones. No complains at all!! I will recommended

Not such good

Poor phone network poor WiFi signal poor facility

All they got is the location of hotel, 5 minutes walk to the sol and plaza mayor is just next to them.

The only thing good about it was the location

Tiny basic room.Had to ask for hair dryer no toiletries other than a soap dispenser.No fridge.The towels were threadbare.Very disappointing after all the other places we had stayed in.

The only thing good about it was the location

The best place ever ❤️

I personally have no complaints. People are amazing, helpful and understanding.

Everything was great! Can’t wait to go back next Christmas. Food is good, and the hotel is so clean. The location Number 1

Great location and a good place to stay in Madrid if your expectations are not too high

The hotel looks a bit run down. It's clean, but obviously has seen better days

The location was excellent. Conveniently located close to Plaza Mayor you are surrounded by bars, shops and restaurants.

The position is really cool.

Not a lot of services in the room. (ex. no hairdryer). I spent there 2 nights and no one cleaned my room the day after my first night. I booked one day before going so maybe that's why the price was a little bit high. If the price was cheaper it could be a good solution to go to visit Madrid.

The position is really cool. You can easily reach every place in Madrid by walking or using the metro that is really close it.

Worst hotel experience of my life, old musty rooms, bad service, smelly

Horrible service, Penny pinchers, very unacoomodating. The beds were extremely uncomfortable you could feel every spring. They were painting the hallways while guests stayed in the hotel and it stunk!! It felt like a cheap motel. Many other hotels in the area with better prices and breakfast included, wish we checked those out before booking.

The area was central.

Only spent one night before leaving for the airport early in the morning.

The corridor stank of paint. The pillow was very lumpy in the middle and it was coming out of the cover in both ends (not very hygienic). The room was tiny, it was hard to find any space for luggage. The night light did not work. The curtains were coming off in the middle so it was not possibly to close them completely. For me this was not a problem though because we had to leave at sunrise anyway.

Very convenient central location. Cheap.

The location was good if you like to be in a touristy area.

The room was at the end of a long winding hall.There was no handle on the door out to the tiny courtyard. ( perhaps for security reasons).All other windows facing into tiny courtyard on same floor and above floors would have had a good view into my room unless I kept curtains closed particuIarly as I had to keep lights on at all times.I had to look up past three stories to see a patch of blue sky. There was little natural light and so lights needed to be on at all times. The bed was hard,poorly sprung and very uncomfortable. I was staying on my own and booked a double but there would not have been room for a second person as bed was so small. The room and bathroom was clean,there was only a soap dispenser in shower,no other toiletries and the hairdryer cut out on my friend in her room next door and also on me in my room after 3 mins use. The location was good if you like to be in a touristy area. When I arrived my room wasn't ready so I asked to use a bathroom which was in a smelly basement where the lights went off after 2 mins in the bathroom.

The location was good if you like to be in a touristy area. The staff were friendly and helpful.

firm bed, daily change of towels.

There is very little space for hang cloth and absolutly no drawers (not a single one!!!!!) for personal underware and t-shirts. We had to keep everything in suitcases. There is no coffee maker in the room, no hair dryer, not to mention a small refrigerator. Also floor was not always properly vacuumed.

firm bed, daily change of towels.

Nice hotel in a great location near Plaza Mayor.

Nothing in particular.

We had a great corner room on the top floor with a view of the nearby plaza. The hotel is in a perfect location very close to the Plaza Mayor.

Excellent location, well maintained room. Will consider if coming back to Madrid again.

Hot water in shower takes a while to come up. Our room location requires going up and down a few short stairs. Not a huge problem personally but keep in mind if you have heavy luggages

Location is excellent, less than 1 minute walk away from Plaza Mayor and nearby market, about 5 minutes away from Sol metro station (and surrounding shopping area) and about 15 minutes walk from Royal Palace. Convenience store right across the street if you need to purchase beverages or water Room size is great, even though our room is next to the pedestrian street but there aren't much noise issue at night.

Enjoyed the stay, pity about lack of storage

Non existent space for clothes. Not one single draw, only 5 coat hangers. No cupboards. As there for 5 nights clothes all over the room. No natural light in room as overlooked an alley way

Friendly staff, close to plaza mayor..comfy bed

On 07.

On 07.02.2018 I paid on my credit card 374 euros. But on the day of check-in, on April 12, my daughter did not have a credit card with her and paid 374 euros in cash. they receptionist told me that the same day II receive back the amounts to my credit card but to date I have not yet received the sum of € 374 on my card. I paid the same stay twice.

Ok. Great location.

Room was not well maintained. Seemed clean, up curtains were broken, bath was not safe and there were only liquid gel dispensers for soap and shampoo.

Location. Location.

Would use this hotel again and recommend it to friends.

No hairdryer in room but you could get one from reception.

Hotel was situated very close to Plaza Mayor. Walking everywhere was so easy. The staff on reception especially Julia and Rosario were so helpful and friendly. The rooms were very nice. Spotless clean.

Hotel is on a very busy square so noisy all night.

Hotel is on a very busy square so noisy all night. Ask for higher floor and quieter room if possible if you want to sleep, otherwise room, facilities and particularly location very good.

A great experience

Room was very small - in fact the bathroom was just about the same size, so large bathroom. It was more than sufficient as we were there to enjoy the city and not spend a lot of time in the room, but it was small. Not a real complaint, but if you are looking for a luxurious room, at least ours would have disappointed. We were happy

Great Staff. Very clean. Location pretty good - very close to metro and not a far walk from things. Funky vibe we liked!

Thanks for our pleasant stay!

We love staying at the Plaza Mayor. Please keep it the same small and friendly place to stay.

We try to stay at the Hotel Plaza Mayor whenever we come to Madrid. We love the smaller size, location, and breakfasts to start our day. The staff is friendly and recognizes you as a patron of the hotel. The staff answered any questions that we had in a courteous and friendly manner.

We had a great four nights in central and cozy Plaza Mayor.

We likely had the smallest room without any view so that could have been a little better.

Our second stay at Plaza Mayor was as good as the first in ‘07. The outstanding features are the cozy beds, clean rooms, good breakfasts, and wonderful location just off Plaza Mayor.

Goid

Bed was small and hard as a board. Room very small. I found a credit card and Madrid and I asked 2 reception staff to help me call the number in the back and they would not. They both said to give to policeman. I held onto and will call when I can. I don’t know this police DEpt. I don’t want the owner of the card to get frauded.

Clean. Great check in and check out easy.

Great location, few things can be really better such noise isolation, windows,... but overall good!

It could have been cleanier, the window wasn't closing super well, the soap provider were not properly working and one night some of our neighbors were really loud.

The location and the staff

Double room was nice, bed was comfortable, nice bathroom.

We booked twin room, and they gave us a room at the 4th floor which was narrow, beds were uncomfortable, there was not hair dryer nor soap in the bathroom. We had the impression that nobody stayed there for a long time. The next day we asked to change the room for a double, we had to pay extra, but we got what is on the photos.

Double room was nice, bed was comfortable, nice bathroom. Hotel has perfect location for tourists, it is next to Plaza Mayor, so most of the attractions in Madrid are within walking distance. Staff is polite.

Hotel good for an emergency , but not worth what they charged.

Rooms were very tiny and getting to them was circuitous!!!!! THE PILLOWS WERE HORRIBLE!!!!! When I asked for other smaller pillows were told that there were none!

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the hotel was about a block from Plaza Mayor.

Perfect accommodations and location.
    • Superior Twin Room

Stairs were difficult with luggage considering our age. There is an elevator after the first flight.

The staff was helpful with directions and very friendly. A bonus for us was they spoke English. Our Spanish is minimal, but we try. The owner was charming. Breakfast was delicious, I liked the hours offered.

perfect location but would’ve liked a family room for four of us
    • Family Room Ground Floor

The breakfast was basic but ok for a two star hotel, bacon was cooked in too much oil.

Location of hotel was perfect and it had lots of character and charm, a bit disappointed we couldn’t get a family room for four instead I had to pay for a separate room for my son

Good central location, needs improvement in other areas

Our room was on the first floor but we had to take multiple mini stairs to get to our room. There was an elevator but it didn’t lead to our floor :( Also, they would do construction on the street at 8:30-9AM in the morning beside the building (which I understand is out of their control) but a little warning from the hotel staff would have been nice. There was also an issue with the ventilation system where we could not turn off the heat. The hallway was way nicer in temperature than our room! :(

Very centralized location that’s close to central Madrid.

Great location , rooms not great .

There was no hot water to shower until after twelve o clock, the room was so small and the lighting in the room was terrible , the room was so dark and dull.

It was very central .

Excellent location, great value for money with helpful and friendly staff

We were unable to have a kettle in the room which was difficult in the morning. You could buy a espresso for 1 € downstairs which made it bearable

The hotel was in a brilliant location with very friendly and helpful staff. Very good value for money. There was a lounge area where we could sit and chat which was very nice.

Hotel Plaza Mayor is a nice modestly priced place to stay, the location is ideally located

No complaints except the breakfast ordeal but it wasn't a huge issue, as there are plenty of places nearby which serve great breakfasts - the best ever full Irish breakfast and best value in Madrid is at Carmella's in Calle Victoria only a 5 minute walk from Hotel Plaza Mayor, around €7, so every cloud has a silver lining :-)

We only had breakfast once and it could just have been an "off day"; the hot food i.e. scrambled egg, coffee etc. were cold, and the venue itself where breakfast is now served ( it used to be in the front foyer beside the reception area) was also very cold.

It was quiet, clean & comfy, and it had a desk to work...

It has a bath but there is no plug available, so it cannot be used! There wasn't much hot water so a bath is probably out of the question anyway.

It was quiet, clean & comfy, and it had a desk to work at. The staff are knowledgeable and helpful. It is really close to food transport and major attractions without having hoards of people & noise outside the window. A good place to stay.

Excellent hotel.

The TV had only 1 English language channel which was a music channel.

The location, staff and my room view were all excellent. The room was very comfortable.

I had to leave the hotel because of the horrible treatment.

The staff was horrible, they were rude and not accommodating to my needs or my family’s. We went to stay in a room and they would not even allow someone to visit for more than an hour and would literally kick them out. Also they would not switch us to a room with two beds which is what we had ordered through booking. Really bad experience with the staff.

Excellent and surely we will be back to the same hotel and i have already recommended it to our fr

Sometimes I could get lost getting to our room

The most important thing was that is was clean especially the bathroom and the staff was so helpful and friendly And oh yes it is so close to the city centre especially Plaza Major and Plaza DeL Sol

I would return to this property on my next wisit to Madrid.

Could have a better reading light in the bedroom.

The Hotel Plaza Mayor is the closet to the large square which is the best place for a tourist. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are spotless but modestly furnished. A excellent value for the money.

kind and friendly staff

no soap for the sink, just shower gell/shampoo for the shower

kind and friendly staff very good location, in the center of Madrid, 2 minutes from Sol.

It’s perfect location allows you to venture all around the centre of Madrid but you’re never too far
    • Superior Twin Room

Although room was perfectly fine it was v small and little natural light. I have stayed here on two other occasions they were both on higher floors overlooking the square and are lovely roooms

Comfy bed, maid service every day, good wifi

take the cheapest room

I booked a room with balcony with extra cost, but their was no balcony. The unfriendly receptionist claimed that their was a problem with my booking but it was an obvious lie because another guest had the same unpleasant surprise. Indeed, the hotel has very few rooms with balcony and they sell them several times for the extra money. It is a fraud.

central location

Great Tourist Location. New beds, Please!
    • Superior Twin Room

The beds! We changed rooms after our first night, as beds were not comfortable and we did not sleep well. Beds were some better in the 2nd room, but by our 5th night we were ready to depart for Barcelona and a new hotel room. Hotel needs to update their beds! Our towels were also thread bare in some places. Hope the hotel is planning on these updates.

Location. Location. Location. For us the hotel's location could not have been better. Everything seemed to be within a 15-20 minute walk at most. Public transport was at the hotel's doorstep but we did not use it. Plenty of taxis if you wanted one. Lots of historical places to see. Places to eat. Nightlife and shopping to. We did not use the hotel's breakfast as there were cheaper options for what we like within a block. The staff was very friendly and outgoing. Always welcoming as we came and went. Even were helpful in printing off our boarding passes. Great water pressure for nice showers.

Madrid is a beautiful city with lots to see and do & this hotel made everything so accessible!

Bed could have been slightly more comfortable.

Excellent location, a lot of major tourist attractions were walkable distance. If not, the hotel is very near Puerto del Sol for public transport. Easy to flag a taxi outside of hotel too. Staff were very friendly, particularly reception staff who spoke good English. The area felt safe and the room was a good size for two of us.

Loved Madrid! Super pleasant experience!

The size of the room, very small. The pillow was super uncomfortable , no soap or shampoo in the bathrooms.

Location !!! Fantastic, walking distance from all the major things to see in Madrid

We only stayed one night but it was very comfortable.

We only stayed one night but it was very comfortable. We liked our room with 3 large windows on the corner. It was not noisy. Next to plaza and San Miguel Market.

I would recommend this hotel and I hope to return there myself.

1.The breakfast room was 2 floors down from the lobby,so a lot of stairs down and up again, especially if you have a knee problem . Luckily San Miguel market was very close, so the remaining 2 mornings I had a wonderful, out of the ordinary breakfast there. 2.The room had no luggage ruck to put your suitcase on.

The hotel is ideally located 50m from the beautiful 15th century Plaza Mayor. It is also just a 3 min very pleasant walk through mainly pedestrian areas to Sol Metro station, where the 3 most conveniant metro lines intersect, so you can get everywhere in no time. Room 403 was big and sunny, with a nice view and comfortable bed. The people at the reception were very nice and fluent in English .

Hotel was in an excellent location, smack bang in the middle...

Hotel didn't have Tea/Coffee making, nor a fridge which in the hot weather over there we think is a must to keep drinks cold. The hotel is also very noisy, clearly hear people in bathrooms next door and upper floor. And traffic noise is loud too. But the location made up for it we only slept there.

Hotel was in an excellent location, smack bang in the middle of everything. hop on hop off buses very close as were metro and buses. Lots of lovely restaurants especially in the actual Plaza Mayor. We loved the fresh market about 100m walk serving drinks and all sorts of fresh food from Spain. Awesome atmosphere and really packed, highly recommend. Awesome shopping with all sorts of famous British Shops as well.

Good Value Hotel

The bed was not real comfortable. Our particular room had French doors but were locked so we couldn't let in fresh air. Other rooms had windows that .could. Nice bathroom.

The location was great, very central. It was basically across a small plaza from Plaza Mayor. Our room was not on the street and was quiet.

Great location small badly lit room.

Room small and in need of refurbishment.

The location is fabulous. However the room is very small and the lights very dim. In need of modernisation. However I think the first floor has been already modernised.

Perfect

This hotel should have it's star rating upgraded. It is a lovely hotel right next to Playa Mayor and neverthelss a quiet place. Wifi excellent, staff friendly and helpful. Room is small but I only neeeded a bed.. i have no complaints

Short and sweet.

Location was amazing. Place is perfect. Very cute, although if you want a very posh place, this is not for you. It was clean. Rooms on the smaller side. My friend's single was very small. But we loved this little hotel. Staff great.

Lovely hotel, located in the most charming part of Madrid, which is a beautiful, friendly city.

Travellers should note that the rooms don't have tea and coffee making facilities, not major as so many coffee shops and restaurants near-by. The reception does have a hairdryer, but worth taking a travelling hairdryer.

Brilliant location, friendly and professional staff and although the rooms are simple, the hotel is well-maintained and scrupulously clean. Hotel is ideal for solo travellers and adults.

Comfortable and accessible
    • Superior Twin Room

Throw in a free coffee and croissant for breakfast and you would have a perfect place to stay

Very friendly staff, comfortable room and pleasant stay. Cafe downstairs very good. Perfect location for exploring Madrid.

We had a nice corner room overlooking the square

There is a 8 step staircase to get to the elevator. Room needs a few more pillows. They didn't have any because the maid had left.

Great location steps from Plaza Mayor.

Enjoyable dispite difficulty in getting decent nights sleep

Lift started on 1st floor - extremely hard bed might as well tried sleeping on the floor - and noisy until midnight every night

It position in the city - it was very central and was easy to get taxis and eating houses

Good location, short walk to restaurants, shopping and metro.

Breakfast could have been better.

Good location, short walk to restaurants, shopping and metro. City electric bike rental (BiciMAD) station just front of the hotel. Air conditioning in the room.

Satisfied

In Seville the hotel driver drove the car to the parking place and will drive it at our demand

Huge parking problem! The hotel advertised the parking nearby, but it was not the case: 40 min took us to park the car and came back

Good location close to plaza mayor and plaza del Sol.

Only comment is that Rooms on front of hotel on the street side have traffic noise and emergency vehicles throughout night. Would request room off the street

Hotel plaza mayor Madrid
    • Superior Twin Room

No lift from ground for luggage but after 1st level a lift takes you to all floors. The staff helped us with our cases though. One curtain was torn at the top of the track which made it hard to block out light. However the room was cheap and we didn't expect more for what we paid.

The hotel is situated less than 100m from Plaza Mayor and central to all the main sights. We walked everywhere and a taxi to sights was only about €5. We caught a train from Barcelona and taxi from Atocha was only €12. Breakfast was not flash but adequate for £8.50. Mo bar but drinks fridge in the reception area.

Lovely little hotel

The rooms were dated, however they are in the midst of renovating now, so I'm sure they'll keep going and do the rooms next. Our room was kinda small, but provided everything we needed.

We loved the location of this hotel, prime for enjoying the city on foot. The main areas were renovated and so were the bathrooms, which were great. Staff was friendly and the entire place was well cleaned.

wonderful location, as it is just by the plaza mayor.

Wifi connection is sometimes not stable. breakfast is a little bit simple, however current price is 5 (+10%) during summer vacation seasons, which can be a make up the simple. the elevator is too small, can transport 2 ppl + 2 medium luggages only.

wonderful location, as it is just by the plaza mayor. and it's only 3-5 minutes walk to plaza sol and el corte ingles shopping centers. easy to find good restaurants nearby, including local spanish food, korean, chinese or other asian food and etc.

Great location, nice hotel.

The ac didn't work too well, took long to get cool and barely did, and there isn't much place to put stuff like cosmetics.

Excellent location ! Walking distance to metro, restaurants, tourist shops. The staff was very helpful. The shower water pressure was awesome, bathroom was clean. I liked staying there.

I will be back there sure!!

I enjoyed visiting the Museo Nacional Del Prado and the Palace Real, I had a tour guide. Also the vibe of the people of Spain, a lot the place to eat , very delicious and many different prices. The Hotel was just in the centre of the old town centre of Madrid easy to get any where! Thanks to all the desk reception staff they was very helpful, they give to me a lot of direction and any can of information. :)

Nice place to stay couple nights at.

Breakfast starts at 8 - way too late.

Breakfast only costed 5euro and was pretty good. Location is really good. Interior design especially in the corridors are really nice.

Nice and very central budget hotel for city break

Double bed was too narrow. We booked a deluxe room to get a balcony, which we didn't. But we had a corner-room with nice view.

Perfect location. Nice view from corner room. Nice breakfast.

We would return again!

Breakfast was rather pricey. But there was plenty of choice nearby.

A wonderful location just across from the throbbing Plaza Mayor and easy access to many of the city's key attractions. We stayed at the hotel comfortably 6 years ago and were not disappointed on our return. Our room was comfortable with a very efficient and quiet air conditioner which we appreciated in the heat of Madrid's summer. Reception was welcoming and helpful. It was very easy to hail a taxi outside the front door when we left for Atocha station.

Perfect Location.

The air-conditioning blows directly to your head while in bed and so it was not pleasant to use it as we could not adjust the direction of the air.

The location was perfect.

Just loved Madrid

Glazing did not keep out traffic noise at night. I slept like a log, but my husband is a lighter sleeper. Ear plugs are a good idea if you are susceptible to noise, which can only be expected in such a central location. We were on floor 2, perhaps a higher floor may have been better?

Being close to the Plaza Meyor and the market was great. Not far from the Real Palace which is not to be missed. The room was comfortable and functional. Staff were very nice and helpful.

Browse Hotel Plaza Mayor traveller photo gallery