Reviews of Hostal Bocanegra

Cuesta Escoriaza, 10, Granada City Centre, 18008 Granada, Spain

#72 of 78 B&Bs and Inns in Granada

5.6

5.7

Good stay for the price.

Washroom is very very small. It's a task to take shower in that cramped area. Room is pretty small too, just enough for a bed to fit in.

Location was amazing. Hotel staff was good. There was a common kitchen provided as well.

A place to sleep, not much more

Very poor facilities. Bathroom accessible taking a 30 cm step - one can easily get hurt. Sheets (torn) and towels have long forgotten they were new. Bed mattress on the bed was sliding in all directions with the slightest move.

A place to sleep close to city center for good price.

Low price.

One of the towels was not clean. There were no soap for hands, only shower gel. No place to hang a towel in the bathroom. The bathroom was dark and it was hard to see anything. Very thin wall, we could hear our neighbors talking.

Low price.

The room was clean and the location was excellent. The value was outstanding!

Bocanegra is in an excellent location to see all of the sites and the room was quiet so it was easy to get a good nights rest. We were able to find free parking nearby. Once you find a parking spot, I'd recommend just leaving your car there for the duration of your visit. Everything is in walking distance or reachable by taxi and bus. There are quite a few places that don't even allow cars (except taxis).

Poor
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

Toilet's and shower were far to small. Toilet was about 1m square. No room for legs. Additional charges for bed linen were ridiculous.

Bed was soft.

On a frequent bus route.

Smell of drains in toilet for a while.

On a frequent bus route. Very quiet location but possible to walk into centre. Staff extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Coffee machine in lounge.

Clean, simple Andalusian styled bedroom (nice) and good pizzeria 600m away. May be noisy.

Staff was not the friendliest and the walls are very thin, so you can hear other people talking in the rooms next to you.

I really liked the simplicity of the room, white clean sheets, white towels and nice dark-blue/white/wood -coloured bathroom. The lobby could use some renovation (maybe in the same Andalusian -style as the rooms, it is so fresh! :) )

Clean and basic accommodation - very good value for money

The room was very basic but was all that was required - clean, with en-suite bathroom. There are facilities at the hotel to use the computer, a room to prepare food and drink, and a social area with comfy chairs and a TV. Ideally located for spending time exploring Granada.

location, good price
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

we could not park close, we parked about 20 min of a walk away. Really noisy, you can hear everything in the building. Common toilets and showers for men and women. Super small cabins for toilets and showers.

location, good price

Just what you need

Shower was very small, as in it was difficult to turn around and when you leaned against the furthest wall the shower curtain still clung to your body. It was fine for us but if you’re picky you might want to consider that.

Very friendly and helpful host. Close enough to restaurants and the Alhambra. Quiet and safe neighbourhood with nice street art (not graffiti).

You get what you pay for. This was good value for money. I would stay there again.

Not much external light in my room. But no complaints.

Room was very basic, but that is what I expected. It was very clean, but was very comfortable, staff friendly and helpful.

A comfortable place that is affordable for budget travellers.

A quarreling couple in the next room made for a sleepless night

The area where the property is located is interesting in itself. Free use of a computer in the common area

Value for money. Helpful stuff, small room

Very small room. The light from the emergency exit sign inside the room can be annoying if you can't sleep with the light on. Also, it's a bit noisy, late at night a group of people returning woke us up.

Very helpful and friendly staff. The lady at the reception was very polite and helpful! She gave us information on what to do at night and where to go. We were also supplied with a hairdryer and room in the fridge for our stuff. Also the location is perfect!

DO NOT GO THERE
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

Worst experience with any sort of accommodation ever. Was meant to stay three nights but had to leave after the first it was that bad. It claims to have a laundry on Booking.com but this is false, I've heard this is also the case with the car park. The nearest place to wash your clothes was a 10 minute walk. The room was incredibly simple with stained sheets on the bed. Toilet stalls were so small with literally 20cm of leg room between the front of the toilet and the door. Weirdest old people staying there too, had one man talking to himself really loudly, banging around in the kitchen, walking up and down the hallway and making loud vomiting noises until midnight, this began again in the early morning. Honestly felt like I was staying in a halfway home/ psychiatric ward.

I wanted to check-in just for two hours in the morning as I...
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

I wanted to check-in just for two hours in the morning as I was travelling, but couldn't do so because I was not aware that the property opens only at 10AM. I realized this only when I called the property a day before when it was too late to cancel.

A simple, sober yet fantastic price and very clean place to stay
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

The stairs to the upper floor are in need of replacing. They are not safe as they are now.

The property was very sober. There isn't anything fancy about Bocanegra, however it was fantastic for the price. The staff was very friendly, the beds soft, and everything was clean and quite. It's also only 10 minute walk through the park to the city center.

+Friendly staff, +good location, -small bathroom, -no parking

Not easy to find a parking place in the neighbourhood Rather noisy - we heard all the sounds from other rooms. Reeealy tiny bathroom.

Friendly and helpful lady (owner?) at the reception desk. Good location. Coffee/hot chocolate/tea/beer/snacks/... machines. =Good value for money.

Great localization, near every worth seeing object in...

Bathroom in the room is cery small and ventilation did not work well, so it can get very humid.

Great localization, near every worth seeing object in Granada, few minutes to Alhambra, city center etc. Room small but cosy and clean, silent neighbourhood. Just great.

Great choice. Clean and very close to Alhambra. Helpful and kind staff.

Excellent comunication, safe, clean and very close to Alhambra and public transport. The woman in charge was very friendly and helpful providing us all the information needed (much better than any guide I have ever meet)

Never go there

I searched for properties with parking using the filters of booking.com. When I arrived at the property there was a board with a parking sign, but they told me the parking was on the streets. I was completely disappointed with the hotel and with booking.com, as I could have chosen a better one for the same price or even cheaper that did not lie about the parking. One night I was not able to find a lot and have to pay for parking. Besides, the wifi did not work properly and there were no air conditioner in the room.

All I can say is thank you! STAY HERE!

Absolutely only downside was the temperature but that was due to when we travelled and no fault of the hostal's. General tip for travelling to Granada: spring is the best time as the flowers are all out and the temperature is a little lower. Temperature whilst we were there was on average 45 degrees C.

Staying here honestly just made our holiday in Granada. It was like having a home away from home and staying somewhere with a family atmosphere. All of the guests said 'hola' to each other and the staff were honestly the friendliest I have ever met. They were so helpful and we chat a lot everyday, talking about our plans, how our day had been... when we left we were genuinely very upset and will be staying in contact with the people there! There are so many great things I could say about this place. There's water at reception for €1, clean rooms, a comfortable seating area and table with fans if you're feeling sociable, a communal fridge and microwave, computer, great location, and they even have a lovely dog if you're missing your pets! I just want to say thank you so much to everyone here for making my stay in Granada the best I could have asked for. ¡Muchas gracias!

Recommended

I stayed there before. Very clean place in a great location. Bus goes directly from bus station to stop at 3 minutes walk from hostal. Great value for money. It's just the basics but they're done well, that's why I like it

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Good for emergency stay.

There were no air conditioning, the bathroom was way too small - making the showering, brushing the teeth and using the toilet very very uncomfortable. Some of the towels was dirty, there was no soap in the bathroom. It would be ok, for much lower price. The same trip we had much better room in the city center for a smaller price. I can't say it was horrible, but I recommend it just if there's nothing more left for the same or lower price in Granada.

The location is good, 15 minutes by foot from the historic center. Silent stay.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Great place for a short, budget stay

The bathroom is very, very small. Not a big deal for us, but if you like to have space, could be an issue. Also the shower had a pretty strange tap system - though it did work very well once figured out!

The reception was very friendly. They gave us a map and showed us how to get to all the best places, along with tips for eating. We were arriving slightly late, so they got in touch with us to confirm all was ok - nice touch! The room has everything you need for a short stay, if you're going to be out most of the day. It's a 15-20 min walk to Alhambra, which was great. In general the location is very walkable. Everything was crisp and clean and very good value for money. There was no problem with us storing our luggage for half a day too. I really appreciated the tea machine in the lobby!

Spartan, but good value, convenient location, safe, and clean

1) extremely Spartan decor 2) Reception not always manned

1) Convenient location, a) to Alhambra (25min uphill walk) b) to centre of town (about 20 min walk) c) to a direct bus to the bus station. 2) Clean and safe 3) Helpful staff 4) Quiet 5) value for money

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

The location is close to downtown, but not in the main...

The location is close to downtown, but not in the main street, Therefore is not very noisy. From the hostel you can walk uphill about 15-20 Minutes to Alhambra. The lady in the receptionist is very helpful and told us to go very early to Alhambra, because we had to buy the ticket. Parking is not available. You can search nearby for free parking slot on the street. The hostel has a partner, who will park your car in his garage for 15€/day. Which is ok.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

good budget option

no big deal but bed springs creak and you can hear your neighbors through the walls.You will have problems if you come after 9pm best to inform the staff ahead of time when you book

excellent well-informed staff,10 min walk to the centre.120 Meters away from the Bus SN1 stop, this will take you to and from the bus terminal.Excellent room prices.Lobby with tv and computer

Good basic hotel with friendly helpful service.

No complaints at the level of service offered for the price.

Good basic hotel with friendly helpful service. Pretty much as I would expect at the price. Would use it again.

Do not stay there!

The hotel was listed as having parking. When we got there we stopped on the sidewalk to ask where to park and the reception didn't want to tell us before we payed for the room. Did that and then she told us there's no parking and that we should drive around Granada to find street parking. The room was absolutely awful, clean sheets though, but no toiletries. Clogged shower drain. They charge for linen and late check in. A bunch of liars and would not recommend this hotel. Whatever else you choose will be better.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

It was a very nice stay :)

My Mom was in a different room and her bathroom was really small. I booked a single room for my mom, a double room for me and my partner, and when we got there it turned out that our room is booked for only one person and it actually has bunkbeds. We needed to pay more, which was a fault of booking.com. Because it clearly should state that even though it's a double room, it's for single use. The size of the rooms are the same, but you need to pay by person. But the lady was really helpful and explained everything.

The staff was really friendly. She gave us tips where to have the best tapas and where everything you need to see in the city is.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Very close to Alhambra in a quiet neighbourhood.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

Initial impressions suggested an institutional ambience (long corridor, doors to rooms opening outwards - same with showers and toilets) but this is the only way to make maximum use of limited space. It was perfectly adequate for a 2 or 3 night stay.

Very close to Alhambra in a quiet neighbourhood. Carmen and her young Dutch assistant were very helpful. Small rooms but clean and secure. Small kitchen for making snacks and coffee (electric stove, microwave and fridge with bench and stools).Fast desktop internet (free). Excellent budget accommodation.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

A big joke
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

toilets were simply a joke! I've never seen anything worse. They could not be used by people over 165 cm. And were broken. Toilets behind the reception had no curtains. And there were five windows that could see right into. I had to go to the center when I needed to go to the bathroom. I told the owner that he could buy at Lidl curtains for 2 euros. he replied that Pension has been open only for 3 years. I've never seen makan to disreputable people

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

Bathrooms are horrible. Can't even take a proper shower or take a dump in a comfortable position. Wouldn't recommend.

Value for money, location

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

It's cheap and comfortable.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet (Bunk Bed)

The bathroom is too small and there is no heater in room. So it was cold at night

It's cheap and comfortable. The kitchen is very clean and stuff are helpful

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

The reception staff are very helpful
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet (Bunk Bed)

What I didn't like is the noise of the other guest(mostly are Spanish,they are noisy talker) who are talking loudly and carelessly along the hall way, they didn't care that they can disturb other guest who are having a rest! Honestly my stay in this hostal was horrible due to other guest who are inconsiderate! they should give instruction to every guest not to talk loudly As every room separated only by thin walling!

The reception staff are very helpful

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Free tapas!!!

The room was small and no air condition.

Very clean, staff helpful and I love her dog! The neighborhood it's super cool and she gave me tips for the best free tapas :)

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Ideal to stay for a few days

1. Not so clean as we'd like to (in the bathroom is too much black hairs)

1. Good location (10-15 minutes to Alhambra, but climbing on the mountain) 2. Quick Wi-Fi (room 119) 3. Quiet an the night 4. Hotel is near bus stop (to bus station bus SN1)

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Would recommend to others!

Ensuite room had two windows but even with them open and the door to the hallway open, the room was stuffy without air-conditioning or a fan because it's extremely small as was the bathroom. But if it wasn't so hot, it would be a perfect choice!

Close to Alhambra and a reasonable distance from the centre of town. Friendly, english speaking staff

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Friendly hostel.

Other guests made noise at night, They were talking out loud in the hall, and slaming the door. Bathrooms were extra small in some rooms, so it may be a problem for bigger person.

The staff was very nice and helpfull, big plus for them. The rooms were small, but very clean and tidy. It was 10 minute walk to centre of the city in calm neighbourhood.

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

The price and the location.

Our room was very small compared to the next one and there was a huge step to access the bathroom. Unfortunately the room was smelly of dirty. Walls are so thin you can hear everything from other rooms.

The price and the location. Safe and close to the city center. There is a free computer to use and free parking in the surroundings.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

The staff helped us to print our boarding pass for free and...

the toilet is too small. I wish there are a common room with dining tables near the kitchen so we can eat over there.

The staff helped us to print our boarding pass for free and allow us to place our luggages for free until evening which is so helpful. The staffs are so kind and very helpful. It was so warm in granada so they provided us a fan with a deposit of €15 which is refundable.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

A lovelly place with an excellent value for money :)

There are no ventilator. This is the only negative point.

The staff were very helpful, the location is good, a bit far from the city center, but it is in a nice neighborhood. The room is clean and comfortable, and there is a kitchen! I enjoyed this place.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Location is good both for city centre and for the Alhambra.

Very small room and bathroom, the shower was especially uncomfortable. Very hot at night, only being able to open a small window, which could be accessed from other rooms. Bed a little hard.

Location is good both for city centre and for the Alhambra. Can walk or take buses.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Not recommended

The room was tiny with a small window, no fan or air conditioning and it was incredibly hot. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever used - so small that I could not sit on the toilet properly as the sink was blocking the space and feet were almost in the shower when using the toilet. The heat was so unbearable in the room that we left the accommodation, much earlier than planned, and slept in the car instead (which was a lot cooler). I really would not recommend this hostel.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

There is no parking, although it is included in the ofert.

There is no parking, although it is included in the ofert. We chose this hostel among other oferts because of the parking, so we felt really disappointed when it turned out, that we have to park our car on a steep street, far from the hostel. What is more, rooms and corridors are very narrow and stuffy. We do not recommend this place.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Drama!!!

The photos on the booking.com doesn't reflect to the reality at all!. You have to pay extra for towels and bed sheets (1 bed - 2 euro for person). Very small bath room - when you sit on the toilet, your legs are inside the shower cabin. Provisional construction of the shower. Fungus on the wall and falling parget. View from the window to scrapheap.

Good localization - near the Alhambra Palace, not far from the Old Town.

10/20 minutes walk to city centre, 10 minutes walk to...

10/20 minutes walk to city centre, 10 minutes walk to the first bar for breakfast. Quite and clean location.

Very small room. Very hot no air conditioning

Location was perfect!

Room very small, service a bit grumpy.

Location was perfect!

Close to the Alhambra, Fluent English

Shower head needed to be mounted

A simple walk up to the Alhambra, quite close

Ok for one night!
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

The room does not correspond to the pictures, it is small and you cannot even sit on the toilets!

Parking

All in all, good value for money.

Tiny rooms and no parking available as promised.

The room was very clean and the owner speaks English

excellent

The bed was a little narrow and was sliding on the base

The staff were pleasant. It was within walking distance of everything. I would recommend it

The pencion is situated in the center!

Not good sound isolation.

The pencion is situated in the center!

A very memorable trip surrounded with friendly peoples around Granada. Spectacular Al-hambra!

The bed was good!very good

Location, friendly welcome
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

Poor shower, unable to sit on toilet, very noisy and inconsiderate guests. Bed really soft and collapsed in the middle.

Location, friendly welcome

Value for money excellent and staff and location great.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

Very spartan, reminding me of an old convent room on Camino.

Can't be beaten on price and I liked being close to the river trails for running.

Very comfortable bed, lobby/

Extremely small shower and toilet.

Very comfortable bed, lobby/

Bad experience. The owner thinks the guests don’t deserve any respect

The mean owner

Toilets very small also bathrooms
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

location bathroom toilet and everything

Very helpful owner

Very helpful owner

Very cheap to stay close to Alhambra and city center

- The room was a bit strange (the decor and look overall).

- Super nice staff; - Close to Alhambra.

Clean room

Room was very small with the smallest bathroom I've ever seen

Clean room

Everything is nice, good value.

The bathroom was a bit too tiny

Everything is nice, good value.

enjoyable, convenient for all sights and tremendous value for money.

the room size and the car park attendant returned our car with a scratch.

location, staff and cleanliness. our dogs were made very welcome

Not bad place to stay for a short term trip.

Wi-fi was not working.

Near location to the Alhambra.

No air con very small rooms, rang an hour before to tell us...
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet

No air con very small rooms, rang an hour before to tell us room will cost more than we've already paid in the day.

Fabulous, cheap and basic place. I loved it.

I loved it. Though it was hot.

A fan in the room would have been good

Location and price

Small rooms poor plumbing very hot

Location and price

Super-small rooms

Super-tiny rooms and even smaller bathrooms. Non-recommended for sumo-wrestlers:-) And even anyone over 5 feet five inches and 130 pounds.

Clean affordable and we'll located

Rooms too small

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Good Location

Room and bathroom is too small.

Good location, near Alhambra. Friendly staff. English is spoken.

only if you have no too much money to spent

very little room no comfort bathroom very, very small no parking

obliging personel

missing hooks or shelves for clothes

obliging personel