Reviews of Hotel Rua Villar 3 stars

9.9

9.7

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

Almost perfect

The only drawback to the hotel was the very poor Wifi. There was no connection in the room and even in the sitting room the connection was slow. For such a wonderful hotel for international travelers it is surprising that they don't have full wifi coverage for the entire hotel.

Everything about the hotel was great. Wonderful staff who were very accommodating and friendly from the reception staff to the housekeeper. The location is perfect in the center of Santiago. The room was great and very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Fabulous
    • Double or Twin Room

Bacon and eggs for breakfast!! Sandra and Christine still there....nice to be back and so close to everything. We were able to get our room just after 10am!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Good value for money in a fabulous location.

The cathedral bells kept us awake through out the night, unfortunately that is to be expected and not something the hotel can do anything about. The pillow on the bed was a long continental style pillow which we are not used to. Difficult to find, had to abandon the car and take a taxi as not possible to drive near the hotel.

The staff were all excellent. We checked in at 1.00 am in the morning and the 2 members of staff could not have been more welcoming and friendly.The room was well decorated and furnished, better than the images suggest. Good coffee.

Right in front of the cathedral Hotel Rua Villar has the...
    • Double or Twin Room

Right in front of the cathedral Hotel Rua Villar has the perfect location. Staff could not do enough to help, they were all wondwrful. Rooms were lovely, comfortable with everything you need available.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Great hotel!
    • Double or Twin Room

We enjoyed everything about Hotel Rua Villar!

Hotel Rua Villar is located in a great spot - close to the cathedral, cafes, restaurants and shops. Sandra was lovely! She checked us in and made sure that we were taken care of the entire time. The hotel had an elevator, great AC, spacious rooms, and many other amenities. Room service brought us coffee in the morning - so great! As pilgrims, this was one of our favorite hotels!

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Great little hotel in the old city

No complaints.

This hotel is steps from the cathedral in the old city. Couldn't be a better location to explore the area for a day or so. The beds were comfortable, room nice, good little view out of the casement windows.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

The staff were amazing.

The staff were amazing. They made our stay comfortable and so friendly. Highly recommend when staying in Santiago de Compostela. We stayed in same room two years ago and it stall has the charm and comfort.

We loved this place!
    • Double or Twin Room

We loved this place! The staff was super friendly and the rooms very comfortable. The price is a bit higher than our usual budget for hotels, but it was worth it and a perfect way to treat ourselves after a long Camino :)

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

We had a wonderful stay in a great hotel and cuty
    • Double or Twin Room

Hotel was right around the corner from the cathedral, it was lovely and comfortable. The staff were great especially Sandra who made us very welcome and was very helpful.

Very comfortable in centre of old town

Nothing major. No coffee or tea making facilities in room.

Very comfortable hotel, well located in old town. Room spacious and clean. Large Bed very comfortable. Enclosed balcony overlooking one of the oldest streets. Staff very friendly and keen to assist.

Fabulous in every way!
    • Double or Twin Room

The only suggestion I have might be to have the cafe open for longer hours, as some of the other hotels in the immediate area did.

You can't beat the location, that's for sure! However, the staff at the front desk bent over backwards to make our stay enjoyable in every way. Not only were they helpful and competent, but they were fun to talk with and to get advice with places to visit, directions, etc. The room was lovely and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed we slept in as we toured Spain. We shall return to the hotel if we ever visit again!!!!

Great hotel with unbelievably kind staff. Huge superior room and great central location.

There is noise on the street at night, but in return you get a great room in a central location.

The staff very helpful and lovely. Felt they went beyond what was expected and very lovely to our 3 year old The location (3min walk from the cathedral) and room size were fantastic.

Clean & Comfy Rooms & Exceptional Staff

Stayed in one of the superior rooms and thoroughly enjoyed playing cards and drinking wine in the evenings while looking out of the gallery windows. Beds were comfy and the room was clean, and the staff was truly exceptional - especially at the reception desk.

Great location just next to the Cathedral.

Poor sound isolation between rooms with noise due to wooden floor. Once the people in the top floor went to bed it was all quiet and we got good sleep.

Great location just next to the Cathedral. Check-in was the best of our trip.

Very comfortable and quiet for rest after walking the camino
    • Double or Twin Room

Unlocking the door was difficult and we needed help 2-3 times. Bedside lights did not seem to have individual controls- bith were either on or off.

Location, helpful staff, good breakfast.

The perfect end to my Camino! Ten out of ten!
    • Double or Twin Room

Both day and night shift staff at reception was exceptional - I left feeling like a friend! The room was spectacular, and one could not ask for a better location. I would walk another 800km to arrive at Hotel Rua Villar again!

perfect accept for check in!

Check in. I booked this room at the last minute and was happy that they had a room available on booking.com. At check in I the two staff misled mecwhen they really didnt need too. I asked twice was the room on the front or back. No answer! I actually wanted a room on tbe back as it would be quiet....no answer. 2nd question. Does it have a view? I was told yes...( I wasnt bothred as all I wanted was a quiet room) When shown to the room it was tiny, with a velux window. So if I stood on a chair and put my head out of the window and looked left I could just see the top of one of the catedral towers! I said to the guy. Why did you tell me rubbish when I checked in at r.eception. He said ' thats what you get when you book last minute!' and then left me in the eoom as quickly as possible. The point is I didnt need a front facing room or a view but why tell me lies?? As you can see in my previous hotel reviews Im normally quite tollerant and willing to give the benefit of the doubt... So why refuse to answer and then say there is a view when there is not! Totaly unnessesary!

Good location near the Cathedral in the old city. Very nice decor & on the whole excellent service

It’s location & the friendly, helpful staff.

Close to the cathedral shops & restaurants

It’s location & the friendly, helpful staff. Nothing was ever too much trouble to them. I came back for the second time & the staff recognised me & made me so welcome. Really great hotel

John on Camino

Could hear conversations of people in room next door including gent snoring. Walls thin.

Very welcoming. Atmosphere very relaxing. Walking distance to everything. Price reasonable.

Beautiful resting place after a long day.
    • Double or Twin Room

The house was absolutely beautiful, the food was gorgeous but most if all the owners are so friendly and helpful. Tnx to the cycling tips im finding our camino cycle much easier today!

If you can get in - book it

Absolutely nothing it was perfect.

The best hotel of our Camino - supportive, thorough staff who covered everything from baggage storage while on Camino and when we had a late flight , kept our bags and we were welcome to use the mezzanine level with comfy couches to relax. Taxi picked us up (they organised) for flat E21 ride to airport. As for the room, think grand hotel - spacious, elegant , comfortable with very detail looked after including soft throws if you were relaxing on the couch when it was cool. Little sun room with chairs and table overlooking the street— and double doors to block out the light and sound. Big bath and shower and fluffy towels.

The hotel is very romantic and extremely close to the...

The authentic wooden floor is unfortunately creaking. That can cause some problems in the morning.

The hotel is very romantic and extremely close to the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage destination. Rua Vilar is a wonderful and quiet street.

The bells of the cathedral made it a little hard to get to sleep!

Super location in the old town within 2 mins of the Cathedral, staff super efficient & friendly & well appointed rooms

beautiful hostal/hotel;
    • Double or Twin Room

noisy room for the price charged

beautiful hostal/hotel; wonderful location; for the price, one would have expected the room to not be so noisy from the upstairs rooms (at least on the mezzanine level room that we had)

Exceptional staff. Great location. Smallish room.

The room was a bit small with a loft dropped ceiling on one side. They used the space well though.

The staff was exceptionally accommodating and helpful. Location was just steps from the Cathedral.

We arrived mid afternoon and found everything in place for our stay. It was a delight.
    • Double or Twin Room

I wanted to stay longer!

The staff at this lovely venue are some of the best hotel staffers I know. They each go out of their way to help anywhere they can. No request is made to seem unreasonable. cheerful attitude, excellent English skills all around.

Fabulous hotel, fabulous location - fabulous and very helpful staff - great coffee too!

Everything was great - there was nothing to not like.

Very clean hotel. The room we stayed in was a superior with extra space and a settee and armchairs and coffee table. Great decor.

Great stay - I would strongly recommend this hotel for a great experience in Santiago de Compostela

There is nothing I didn't like about this property.

We stayed in a superior room - great space which overlooked the street and all the Easter weekend activity. Fabulous location - just around the corner from the cathedral - an extra bonus. Great staff, very friendly!

Will stay there again and recommend this place.

Noise in the street at night.

Excellent location. Brought good memories of my visit to Santiago in my younger years, as my mom is from Santiago. I remembered where to go, amazing.

Lovely place. Very friendly and helpful.

Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. The church bells in the area ring all night.

Great location. Lovely rooms. Spotlessly Clean. Friendly Staff, so helpful. Good breakfast. A treat on my last day of the Camino.

Comfortable, modern facilities, wonderful staff right next to the Cathedral. Loved it!

Not one thing.

The quality of the bedding, the bathroom with a bidet, the proximity to the Santiago de Compostela Cathedral are all a plus. What set it apart of others was the excellent customer service. The staff was friendly, helpful and went beyond what is customary to help us have the best experience ever.

A wonderful stay in a central location, close to the Cathedral. The staff were great & very helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

The most difficult thing was getting to the hotel with our luggage because it is located in the old town & therefore pedestrianised from 10.30 a.m. until quite late in the evening (not sure of time). There is good indoor parking nearby but unless you can arrive in the window of time that allows you to drive to the hotel & drop off your luggage, we found it a struggle especially as it is uphill from the car park. Having said that, it wouldn't deter us from staying in the hotel again.

The location of the hotel. So close to the Cathedral, restaurants, cafes & interesting shops in the old town. Everywhere was within easy walking distance.

Great place to stay.

The staff were really nice and friendly. Very approachable, and spoke English well. They went to the extra effort to keep in contact after I left something behind. It was a pleasure to stay here. Thank you.

I'd love to come back.

The room was a little small. But considering the age of the building, I think it was pretty good... top floor has a skylight window that opens.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't stay longer.

Great location but lacking in some ways
    • Double or Twin Room

The WIFI and beds. The WIFI was non-existent. And I mean non-existent. Everytime I visit Santiago every place I starlet at claimed the WIFI is “down”, but being “fixed”. That usually means “after” you leave. The beds have no support and caved in.

The staff. Cristina and Sandra were the best.

A gorgeous little hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

No wifi reception, but we partially solved that by having breakfast and afternoon refreshments at Cafe Casino - back down Rua Vilar.

Fabulous location next to the cathedral. Friendly, helpful staff. Our room was very comfortable.

A great place to stay to immerse yourself and enjoy all aspects of Santiago de Compostela
    • Double or Twin Room

Cannot think of anything we didn't like.

Wonderful little hotel, beautifully appointed, with delightful staff who couldn't do enough to help. Excellent room facilities given the age of the building and its position. Fabulous location, in the heart of everything we wanted to see. The carnival outside was a fun bonus.

Beautiful, comfortable rooms - really enjoyed our stay here!

Breakfast could be better, but it was fine. Also, WIFI didn't work that well.

Beautiful and comfortable hotel room! And a great base for exploring the city. We absolutely loved it here and would stay here again. Great value.

Well situated for exploring the old town.

Just the noise from the timber floor in the room above.

A great location in the heart of the old town. Parking was close by and very convenient. Staff were very helpful to make our stay extra special.

The reception staff made me feel so welcome I would not hesitate to return or to recommend the hotel

The staff at reception Jose, Sandra and Christina as well as the boys in the restaurant are excellent and really excel, at their jobs, their local knowledge and efficiency at booking tickets for me, answering all my questions nothing was to much trouble and always done with a smile.

Wonderful hotel, memorable stay!

Having to leave!

Very comfortable hotel, friendly staff and a great cafe/restaurant too. We ended up eating there twice, in spite of only staying in Santiago for 1 night. The location is second to none, right by the Cathedral. We were blessed with staying in a superior room, it even had a balcony with seating. Such a shame to only have stayed for one night. The lift was great for my elderly father-in-law.

Great location for sightseeing.

The bed was very hard, as was the pillow. The room was small and dark. There were no windows to the outside, only to the courtyard. The staff were all pleasant and helpful and the position couldn't have been bettered.

This has been our 3rd stay at Hotel Run Villar.
    • Double or Twin Room

This has been our 3rd stay at Hotel Run Villar. It is excellent. The staff are professional, caring and ultra efficient. The rooms are extremely clean and the beds ever so comfortable. It is a quiet haven and will always have a special place in our heart.

Lovely and very convenience given the location by the Santiago Cathedral

In my opinion, breakfast time starts very late (8AM). It would be best to start serving breakfast a bit earlier. However, they offered the option to get some coffee for early birds having to check out before breakfast starting time.

Excellent, in the heart of the Old Town

Fabulous location in the heart of the old town, friendly helpful staff, great room with balcony over the street. We enjoyed the buskers' music in the street below, but were able to close the windows to block out the noise when desired. Lovely ambience, basic breakfast, very comfortable room. No kettle or coffee machine in the room but staff were always very willing to give us a jug of hot water to take to our room to make our own hot drinks. Thanks Jose for your travel tips.

All staff were very friendly, well informed and efficient...
    • Double or Twin Room

Would have been nice to have a bar area for coffee / drink later in the evening

All staff were very friendly, well informed and efficient always with a smile

Friendly staff

No real view. Far from parking of you're with a car. Recommend skipping breakfast here and getting it somewhere else (cheaper).

Great room, very comfortable bed. Large bathroom. Super friendly staff. Staff goes out of their way to tell you about the city and point things out on the map.

Best location from which to explore town

Like all of these old buildings it was noisy. Could hear everything from the room upstairs and even though the owners have gone to a lot of expense trying to block out street noise, partying in the street kept us awake till after 3am. A back room would be a better choice.

Beautiful hotel, large comfortable rooms. Right in the middle of the best of Santiago de compostela. Easy walking to everywhere. Great staff. Easy walk to airport bus.

We had a most enjoyable stay in hotel and would recommend.
    • Double or Twin Room

Not sure if there were any snacks / coffee etc available , or if bar available in hotel.

Staff were very friendly and helpful and had good English . Location very central , room space and very comfortable.

Great stay lovely city to visit very walkable

Being an old property there was noise through the walls and ceiling. If you can cope with this. great place to stay near the Cathedral and places to eat. Well decorated and very comfortable.

Excellent location, I was given a beautiful room on the 3rd...

Excellent location, I was given a beautiful room on the 3rd floor with a big bathroom and a full-sized bath! Heaven after finishing the Camino de Santiago. Lovely old beams in the ceilings and a well laid out room. Friendly staff who very kindly organised me a taxi to the airport the next morning.

A major disappointment
    • Double or Twin Room

The room we were given was next to the gents toilet used for the downstairs cafe. The room was quite dark with a window facing a ventilation shaft. Far too expensive for what it was. There was a strong, very unpleasant smell coming fom the bathroom. Reception acknowledged the problem but didn't do much about it - spraying air freshener only hides the smell for some minutes, but doesn't address the problem. Emergency lighting on the ceiling above the bed made it hard to sleep. The cardboard fix provided by the night reception didn't cover it properly and came off during the night. It's an old building, so it can get quite noisy. It didn't help that there was lots of movement in the room above on a Sunday morning. We didn't like the attitude of the management and most of the reception staff (with the exception of one woman at the reception who was nice), they came across as rude and arrogant as if we are being unreasonable complaining about the smell. Overall, a major disappointment. We left after one night.

Atmospheric old town house, very close to the Cathedral. Some of the more upstairs rooms looked quite nice.

Great Hotel.

Excellent boutique hotel, situated in the centre of the old city. Excellent staff, very helpful. Good double glazing and air conditioning. Handy for cathedral.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

A great hotel in a wonderful town

Breakfast was a little light on at times.

So close to the Cathedral you could hear the bells. Lots of good restaurants close by. Good to do a 2 hour walking on the first day. We did a free Blue Umbrella tour with Mary that was very informative .

Fabulous place with fabulous staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

The is a great hotel. To be honest, I loved the fact that the cathedral clock bell was kept in the wardrobe, or so it seemed, with a little bell at the quarters and a big bull of a bell on the hour. If you are not keen on this medieval accompaniment to your time, here is an opportunity to broaden your mind.

The welcome at the hotel was charming and uplifting; the staff were marvellous throughout. We ordered bocadillos to take with us on the train and they arrived with our breakfast and were delicious. (And, frankly, cheap.) The room was in the attic, which we loved (most rooms aren't in the attic and the ones at the front have little balconies which look great). It was cosy and comfy and had all the facilities. There's a café downstairs so it's easy to get coffee and drinks at any reasonable time. The position is great. You can get to the cathedral in two and half minutes and the street is one of those beautiful Santiago stone charmers.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Location, location, location - from front door you can see...
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast could be improved - its a café as well as a hotel breakfast room with a section specifically for hotel guests which is OK but meant staff were serving café customers as well as us breakfast residents. Need to look at small, practical things - have hot water so you can make your own tea instead of having to go up to the counter etc. They have scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon available but not a huge range of other things but you wont go hungry

Location, location, location - from front door you can see the cathedral so you're right in the city centre which was a good thing as it rained solidly the 3 days we were there. Reception staff extremely helpful regarding both the city and ordering a taxi for us on leaving. Hotel in old building but renovated very well while keeping the character of the building.

Very close to cathedral
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is old and quaint unfortunately the floorboards creak and we were kept awake by people moving around above us. We were overlooking the street and quite s bit of noise through the night

Very close to cathedral

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Very comfortable, welcoming end to the Camino. Great location!

As a small boutique hotel, it just doesn't have the extras like a gym or business center.

The staff really tried to help us out with getting a left item on a previous Camino stop transported to the hotel. Always went above and beyond. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Small personalised hotel in great location

Breakfast was ok but nothing special

Excellent staff, extremely helpful also it is abeaitifully presented hotel, thoughtfully decorated to phasise the lovely timber throughout.

Wonderful value a few steps from the cathedral door with attentive staff and well priced cafe

Seriously, nothing.

The staff were extraordinarily friendly, upbeat and helpful at all times. The hotel's location is absolutely perfect for both the cathedral and our favourite little squares for cheap pilgrim menus. The room was quirkily/interestingly designed, old fashioned, spacious and comfortable with an armchair and a bath. Seemed a little pricey when booking compared to the pensions on the camino route but in the end worth every penny and more.

Magical hotel in a historic city

All was good!

This hotel has the aura of Santiago de Compostela's historic charm coupled with modern amenities in the room. My stay was very comfortable and the staff extremely helpful. I also liked that they covered each other's duties during the busy periods eg during breakfast. The location is strategic in the old town - just steps away from the Cathedral and surrounded by excellent restuarants, yet not directly above a bar or cafe so you won't be disturbed by noise if you fancy an early night. Rather magical!

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Good Location and class hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Parking was some way off and trudging through cobbled streets with suitcases wasn't great. Couldn't park outside to drop off cases as it is in a pedestrian area with very narrow streets. Had to ask for hairdryer - thought that was a given in hotels.

Great location for the old part of town. Very pleasant staff and a reasonable breakfast although we didn't go for the 'set menu'.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Super helpful staff added to the comfortable stay, had a...

Super helpful staff added to the comfortable stay, had a very enjoyable time. Our window had a side view of the cathedral and one evening a 3pc 'busking' musician gave us lovely music like ave maria and instrumental music which we enjoyed from our window. Great location to restaurants too yet was quiet where it was located.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Amazing location, nice staff, clean and comfortable
    • Double or Twin Room

Great location literally steps away from the cathedral, friendly front desk and staff, interesting building in the historic center. Very nice bathrooms. Everything works / recent renovation in this older building. Great price!!!!

Fabulous we will be back.

If we stay more time

Everything Cristina, Jose and Mrs Santos in the front desk they are extremely helpful, Javier in the breakfast was excellent,great breakfast, location the best, we will be back. For sure.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Stunning hotel in wonderful location

The pillows were too hard and I couldn't shape them into a comfortable position.

Gorgeous place with loads of character and class. Lovely place to stay. The afternoon/ evening receptionist could not have been nicer or more helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

A Gem near the Cathedral
    • Double or Twin Room

The boutique hotel is a gem. The location is outstanding, the staff is friendly, and the facility is clean and modern, while maintaining a sense of local charm. I've stayed here twice ... and hope to return.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Outstanding. Home away from home.
    • Double or Twin Room

As with most hotels in the historic centre, there is no parking but the hotel has arranged a discounted rate at a parking garage 5 minutes walk away (S. Clemente)

Staff were outstanding. The hotel is decorated tastefully with a fantastic rustic charm. The location is perfect, in the centre of the old town with lots of restaurants and bars nearby and only 100m from the cathedral.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Perfect location at a great price
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff were fantastic and our room was ready very early which was very welcome after completing our Camino Frances. Big comfortable room and bathroom (with tub) with great insulation and curtains. Very convenient having the breakfast bar downstairs. Very close to great restaurants.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Wonderful hotel in a beautiful old city
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff (especially Christina) were super, super courteous, friendly and helpful. The room was stunningly Old World, but with all the modern necessities... and the included breakfast was fantastic. Location was probably the best for anyone wanting to explore the old town on foot: right next to the Cathedral, and on the same block as plenty of authentic little restaurants, bars, and shops. Next time we're in Santiago de Compostela, we're definitely staying at Hotel Rua Villar.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Great location and very helpful staff

Great location and very helpful staff

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Great experience
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff were so helpful and perfect location

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Wonderful- would highly recommend after the camino- so close to cathedral and the main square.
    • Double or Twin Room

Bed could be softer but slept well regardless after bunk beds on the camino!

Staff location presentation cleanliness all excellent

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Highly recommend.
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything! Location, beautiful room, quiet and relaxing. The customer service and friendliness of the staff made our stay so enjoyable.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Superb location.
    • Double or Twin Room

Superb location. So convenient to visit all the sights of Santiago. Lovely comfortable hotel with wonderful staff.