Reviews of Hotel Avenida 1 stars

Fuente de San Antonio, 5, 15702 Santiago de Compostela, Spain

#47 of 75 hotels in Santiago de Compostela

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

An enthralling city and we were glad we stayed at Avenida
    • Double or Twin Room

The street is noisy (but there is air-conditioning, which allows you to close up and still be comfortable), but of course that is what allows the bus stop to be so close. The air-conditioning is complicated to get to use, but the lady at the reception came up and adjusted it for us (although my husband had to do a little more when she was uncertain why it still was not working). I need complete quiet to sleep, so the first night was not so good until we got to know how to use the air-conditioning, after that it was great.

The staff was not only helpful, but their attitude was friendly and nice. It is located on the divider of the old and new city thereby within easy (but at times hilly) walking distance to the sites that interested us and when we wanted to catch the bus for our excursion, it was a quick walk to the stop for the bus.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Good choice for historic centre, restaurants etc. Reasonably priced.

Nothing to report.

Very convenient location- historic centre just across the road and few yards/metres away from the bus stop to/from airport. Staff very helpful- early breakfast and packed breakfast for very early departure. Room clean and quiet - back of building, maybe noisier with a room overlooking the street.

The rooms were built of drywall which made the room a little noisy. The guy receiving people for the breakfast. No late check out.

Location. Elevator. The blonde person in the check in.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Great location, staff are extremely helpful, gave some some...
    • Double or Twin Room

Great location, staff are extremely helpful, gave some some great suggestions for restaurants and tapas. Also handed out a packed breakfast since we checked out early in the morning.

We were told of minor disruption due to repairs but we had...
    • Double or Twin Room

We were told of minor disruption due to repairs but we had plastic covering the windows and noise from workmen started at 7am - very disappointing as a great location. Tried talking with owners to no avail very unhelpful.

Good facilities, great staff.

Breakfast was very basic but ok.

Staff were very helpful and had good English. All facilities were fine. Wifi was ok. It is a bit of a walk to the Cathedral and old area but once you have the way to get there it is much easier.

Decent hotel in the centre, but overpriced in my opinion.

I thought the room was overpriced, but then we didn't know the area. Breakfast was included and was cold food only, with the occasional arrival of some toast.

It was quite well placed, but again we had to pay in a local car park (also be careful NOT to park in one of the 'small car' placed if you have anything of a reasonable size - very tricky getting out). The room was fine and Santiago is quite a good place to explore.

Room was clean
    • Double or Twin Room

WiFi strength was poor in the room and was a bit slow The light sensors to my room didn’t pick me up till I was right on top of them

Room was clean Bed was very comfortable Hotel was close to the city centre Shower was great Perfect place to rest after a long camino

This is a great hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing. It was all great.

This is a great hotel. It’s right next to the old town, close to the airport bus stop, easy to find. Very helpful and experienced staff. The room was immaculately clean with everything you need and nothing superfluous, sufficient space and very quiet. It was a great place to explore the old town of Santiago from. If I’m in Santiago again I would not stay anywhere else.

The staff was very helpful: when we arrived without luggage...

nothing, enjoyed the facility and staff.

The staff was very helpful: when we arrived without luggage Racheal spend hours looking and tracking them down. Maria Dolores, was wonderful she was there for every little thing I needed: a iron, a fan, a hair dryer and most important setting up the T.V. to and English station. Breakfast was good and plenty of it. You can't beat the location!!!

Not sure about this place.

For 64 euros, I expected a lot more. I was placed on the 4th floor and my window was a skylight. The bathroom was adequate. It was expensive for what I got. No food onsite. I left for the train before the breakfast started.

It was 10 minutes from the train station walking and a very direct route.

Nice stay
    • Double or Twin Room

Room a bit small. No laundry facilities.

Friendly staff. Kept backpack between check out and when left for airport. Close to bus stop for airport shuttle.

Excellent location

Clean, comfortable room, 2 blocks away from the airport bus stop and a 10 min walk to the Cathedral. Front desk are all English speaking and very helpful.

Quiet and characteristic.
    • Double or Twin Room

Slightly spartan room and no safe but is 1* so not disappointed.

Quiet and characteristic. Friendly staff and good breakfast included. Also very good location for old town and praca galicia for arrival via airport bus.

Would recommend for value, cleanliness but ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Noise coming from upstairs, probably due to wooden floors. Noise from showers /toilets flushing in other rooms Stayed in Room 201B

location was perfect. Very clean

Extremely helpful day reception staff.
    • Double or Twin Room

Admin systems need improvement. My departure delayed because night porter couldn't find my bill.

Extremely helpful day reception staff. Sorted out problematic access to wi-fi; gave directions; made suggestions about sights.

Convenient location in Santiago.
    • Double or Twin Room

We wanted a twin room; when I booked I could only book a "double or twin" room, not a twin. Then the hotel sent me a message asking which, to which I replied Twin. (I could see my reply on my Booking.com account) When we arrived we had been allocated a double room. Eventually we were given a room with a double bed and 2 singles; fine, it was a nice big room, but the double bed, which we didn't want to use, had the bedside tables, reading lights and view of the TV; the singles didn't. I think it would be better if you could book a twin room on the first place at this hotel.

The breakfast was fine, the location was good.

Convenient, great location
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing I would stay there again.

Room was very large, comfortable with a big bathroom, it has a bath/shower. Breakfast was lovely, basic. A couple of blocks from the Cathdral, many bars, cafes attractions, tourist and local buses. Great location in the old quarter. 15 minute walk to the train station.

a great start to our Camino

we were completly happy with our stay.

the welcome and assistance from reception was fantastic. the help and advice with our next day bus travel was exceptional as were directions to the city centre and the mass times in english.

A quality comfortable hotel giving value for money.

I would like to see some cupboard and shelf space.

I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times since 2010. Its services and quality have been very consistent - and I mean good. Its location is great for the Cathedral, the CBD and Renfe. Breakfasts excellent.

Great staff , but old facility.

Need an upgrade soon!..Lobby is depressing! and rooms need electrical upgrades (outlets, individual nightstand switch..)

Breakfast was decent for the value of the hotel.Staff very friendly!.

Helpful staff

The hotel is conveniently located to all parts of the city. The airport bus is around the corner and the Cathedral is a 4 minute walk through the old town. Our room was quiet and the staff were extremely helpful. Rachel on reception even helped me organise our accommodation for the Camino Ingles! Can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Breakfast was poor but everything else was good.

Breakfast was poor, only carbohydrates so I chose to have it only on my 1st day. Shower head in my room was temperamental and needs replacing; it doesn’t spray very well, it’s more like a tap

Room & bed were comfortable, staff were accommodating, water in shower lovely and warm, Character of building was in keeping with the age of Compostela and upkeep was good.

Our staff was excellent and we would certainly recommend this Hotel to others.

All was good apart from the WiFi

The Hotel location was excellent and the staff friendly and helpful. Although WiFi was available it was poor within the room allocated.

Perfect Hotel in Santiago de Compostela!

Nothing wrong at all.

This is a great hotel...Staff totally service-oriented, and managed perfectly. We have been staying here since 2009. It will always be our choice for lodging!

It is in a good location, just the last road outside of the...

It is in a good location, just the last road outside of the old town, therefore not noisy but easy to reach Cathedral and all the restuarnts and shops. Also close to airport bus station and highstreet shows... the lady at the reception was really kind and helpful.

The Perfect Small Hotel!
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing...Hotel Avenida will always be our home in Santiago de Compostela.

EVERYTHING! We have stayed at Hotel Avenida since 2009. It had stayed just great. They do EVERYTHING right!!

After hiking the Camino, great location to rest up and see the cathedral & museums
    • Double or Twin Room

Shower pressure was good but hand held wand would not stay on hook.

Large room. Comfortable beds. Friendly and helpful staff. Room was in back off Main Street and very quiet. Breakfast was good - by Spain standards - and we were able to store luggage for a few hours before our flight. Would definitely recommend to other travelers.

Comfortable and very nice place.

just a small problem with the alarm at night but it can happen

Comfortable and very nice place. Friendly owner and reception open 24h. Located very close to the center the hotel is also very convenient to reach as the bus coming from the airport stops right in the adjacent square. Quite rich breakfast and well-kept rooms with excellent cleaning. The price of the room for 3 persons including breakfast is really convenient and the owners contact you first to know how you want the room to be arranged

Great location, decor and service.

Unfortunately, there was a fault with the boiler and there was no hot water or heating when I got to my room. The staff tried to remedy the situation as best they could, but they couldn't manage to get the heater to work. Instead, they provided me with an electric heater which I suspect tripped off the fire alarm, as when the alarm woke me up the room had a lot of smoke and there was a funny smell. But at least the fire alarm works properly.

Great location, decor and service. Can accommodate bicycles in indoor courtyard.

Have used this hotel several times and would do so again.
    • Double or Twin Room

The reception staff are friendly helpful and speak excellent English. The breakfast is well served and adequate.very accommodating regards printing boarding passes and leaving luggage to pick up later.

Stayed at end of walking pilgrimage to Santiago. feel enormous gratitude to the friendly staff
    • Double or Twin Room

Room is dated. The "bath" is very short. Elderly TV did not work. I understand a refurbishment is due.

Lovely staff. Warm room. Comfortable bed.

Beautiful room in a gem of a hotel.

It was farther from the Cathedral de Santiago than I expected. But the taxi ride was only 5€, and the staff were very helpful.

The best part of my stay was the free breakfast. Nice to start the day with excellent pastries, a bowl of healthy cereal and some solid protein in the form of ham and cheese on a croissant.

Not far from old town and cathedral

Not easy to park near to the hotel. Options are either parking by the station, or open air carpark about 10-15 mins from hotel. Other car parks are available but expensive

Excellent location for the old part of Santiago, and closeness to the Camino trail.

Fantadtic
    • Double or Twin Room

Receptionist was rude initially- questioning whether or not I was going to turn up. I had not checked my emails as I did not have wifi. I made the booking - that should be enough of a guarantee that I was going to turn up.

Great location. Clean and very nice room

Good average hotel made better by its location and nearby parking.
    • Double or Twin Room

Nothing for the money paid.

This a good basic older hotel. The rooms are adequately sized, sufficiently comfortable including bed, functional, clean. There is a decent sized bathroom with good shower. Wi-fi is free. The breakfast is also more than adequate. The location of the hotel on the very edge of the old town is perfect for exploring the old town. The staff all speak English and were always friendly, welcoming and helpful. Good average hotel made better by its location and nearby parking.

A wonderful welcome in a characterful, central hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

a few more seats in reception.

Wonderful location only a 5 minute walk to the cathedral. Staff on reception were extremely helpful. Rooms comfortable, breakfast good. An excellent choice if you don't want luxury.

Really good, clean, and comfortable place to stay, at a really good price.
    • Double or Twin Room

This is a simple, no-frills hotel with a good location, friendly and helpful staff, all at a very good price. The included breakfast has no made-to-order options, but it offers a good variety that will satisfy most everyone. Good coffee, too!

Basic one night stay whilst visiting Santiago like many other pilgrims. Hotel capitalises on locatio
    • Double or Twin Room

Very basic hotel. Location good but no luxury about it. Fine for a convenient one night stay. Hotel descriptions don't very the option of basic hotel.

Return visits says it all !!

I have stayed here in this hotel every time that I have finished a Camino walk- 4 times? The staff are incredibly helpful including helping us with checking in for return flights, advising re bus connections etc. Pleasant people every time. Nice breakfast and relaxed atmosphere.

Over all very good

All was very good. A nice touch when I left at 5:45AM to go to airport they made me a small care package since I would be missing breakfast. Much appreciated.

Great place - stay here.
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast wasn't served until 8:30 which is very late for many people who stay there - camino pilgrims and people leaving for trains and planes. On our particular stay WIFI wasn't available in the rooms though the front desk insisted it was. It wasn't.

The location is great - right outside of the cathedral area so much quieter than near the cathedral. And it's a 10 minute walk to the train station and 2 minute walk to airport bus. They are fluent in English at the front desk.

A lovely hotel which welcomes peregrinos
    • Quadruple Room

The only downside was the very strong odour of cigarette smoke in our room and bathroom. There are No Smoking signs everywhere and this is in no way a criticism of the hotel management but rather that guests who smoke are not considerate of non smokers.

The location is excellent and only a short walk from the cathedral. Our room looked out over the rooftops and was light and airy. Breakfast is lovely and the staff replenished things as they ran out. I would recommend staying here if you are walking a Camino.

Great position for exploring Santiago de Compostela.
    • Double or Twin Room

Usual cheap breakfast foods.

It was a plain and simple hotel.clean and serviceable no frills. In town and within easy walking distance of the cathedral and plenty of restaurants and bars.

Great service. Great location.
    • Double or Twin Room

I have stayed here every year for the last 5 years after the Camino. Excellent hotel. Rooms clean and comfortable. Reception staff friendly, helpful and professional. Location is superb - just a short walk to the old town. Very convenient for the airport bus also.

Bar could open to accomodate customers.

Fantastic staff at reception; both Duniesta and Dolores were so pleasant and helpful despite being extremely busy. A quaint little hotel with character and excellent location right next to the old Latin quarter of the city.

A very acceptable hotel.

TV

Very handy for train and old town. A nice small hotel- bedroom very roomy but let down by terrible tv set. I could hear some noise from from adjoining rooms. We had a nice tasty breakfast.

If you only want a cozy place to stay at the end of the day, that's it.

AC a bit noisy and the pillows (I believe it is a tradition in Spain) are too be shared. Not what I am used to. Great valeu for money, nonetheless.

Rooms were spacious, beds were confortable.

On the last day, we have to leave early in the morning for...

On the last day, we have to leave early in the morning for our flight. The hotel has prepared breakfast for us to take to the airport, we did not request this, it was an unexpected act of hospitality

Lovely Small Hotel in the Heart of the Old Town in Santiago

The wifi was poor. I could only get wifi in the hallway.

This is a lovely hotel. I was very comfortable and the staff was helpful. The proximity to the Cathedral was good and I even got to see the St. James Day fireworks from my window.

Good hotel, reasonably priced near to "everything" :)
    • Double or Twin Room

Some hot food at breakfast would be nice ;) but the buffet was great

Convenient and located close to the Cathedral, the old town, and the more more modern shopping district. We had two of the rooms overlooking the street, and were notified of this at check in, we opted to take the rooms, but this was not an issue and the glazing was excellent and we heard no outside noises. The staff were excellent and were able to source taxis very quickly.

OK - excellent location very near the Old Town - all of...
    • Double or Twin Room

Well, perhaps small point but the mattress was a little on the hard side at least in our room. Also, and may be not a big deal since the breakfast was included, the breakfast was very basic with cereals (not for us), fresh bread yes very good - cheese ham etc, but what missing were boiled eggs - they could have easily added them especially for guests who don't cornflakes etc.

OK - excellent location very near the Old Town - all of course walking distance. Good room and especially very good bathroom and shower

it worth its price
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel consists of 2 buildings (as far as I understand) but only one of them has an elevator, so if you live in the second you need to use not only the elevator but also the stairs. It is not conviniant if you have a heavy bag.

good location, nice staff, good breakfast

Was hugely impressed with the positive and helpful attitude...
    • Double or Twin Room

I felt small things would have made the dingy rooms more inviting. update the bedspread, nicer bath products, bathroom etc. This was about plus 50 euro more expensive for other properties I stayed at in Spain without much to show for it.

Was hugely impressed with the positive and helpful attitude of the staff

Small but comfortable.

App OK

Arrived at 01.00. Reception very welcoming. Small but comfortable room. Good breakfast. Only one night and left at 11.00 so no chance of a thorough inspection but everything seemed fine. Would happily stay there again.

The staff made the difference
    • Double or Twin Room

Never could get the wifi to work.

The staff were absolutely great. Friendly, welcoming, helpful, great sense of humour, efficient. Really, this what stood out in this stay for us. Nice thought that they give you a takeaway breakfast when you leave too early for the breakfast service. Good location.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Perfect Spot
    • Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was small and room fairly basic but for how long you spend in it there was no problem.

The position was excellent, just across the road from the old town. All the reception staff were so helpful and friendly and the restaurant staff were busy making sure breakfast was topped up.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Nice place to stay. 300metres off the Camino.
    • Double or Twin Room

No hairdryer in the room.

Comfortable. Very convenient location for Camino pilgrims. Receptionist was really helpful and friendly. She also spoke english.

A great place to stay after the Camino!
    • Double or Twin Room

We had just finished walking the Camino so we wanted to stay somewhere close to the Cathedral. This hotel was perfect! Very reasonably priced, great breakfast, clean and comfortable beds. The staff were excellent! Duneska went out of her way to help us when my husband needed to get his blisters taken care of at the hospital. She explained where to go , called the taxi and on our return gave us apples as we hadn't had time to eat. Would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Great for a short stay.

Internet was awful.

It was a central and cosy place to stay? The staff were helpful. We were given a Breakfast pack as we left on an early train at for Porto.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

The room on the top floor of the annex was bright, spacious...
    • Double or Twin Room

The room on the top floor of the annex was bright, spacious and quiet. Nice to have a hot soak in the bath after days of quick showers along the Camino. Note the bath plug was placed in the corner of the sink away from the actual bath which can be overlooked!

The appearance of room was light and appealing.
    • Double or Twin Room

I kept turning off room lights when I was reading. Just a funny thing and if you weren't upright in bed it would be alright.

The appearance of room was light and appealing.

Friendly, helpful staff that were willing to take the time...

The parking situation was difficult. Driving in the area was stressful and the directions the staff gave to the parking were not good. There was a small discount on the price of the parking if you had your parking ticket stamped by the hotel.

Friendly, helpful staff that were willing to take the time to talk with you. Good location, close to central old town, cathedral, etc. Great breakfast in a pleasant dining area with a good selection of food.

Excellent location close to the centre, supportive english staff, secure storage for bicycles

Very friendly and supportive staff. Spoke very good english. I did arrive by bike, the Hotel had dedicated secure storage form my bike. Room was clean and well organised. Hotel is close to the centre.

Convenient, comfortable and good value!
    • Double or Twin Room

Good value, staff were very helpful, breakfast had good variety and good location just outside the old city, being convenient to the bus stop and train station.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Ex position, clean, pleasant staff
    • Double or Twin Room

Extra payment for extra bed as no twin rooms Breakfast boring - how about some boiled eggs+more fruit e.g. Prunes No proper lounge TV only one channel - complained but no response to complaint

position of hotel very near Cathedral Clean towels daily Pleasant staff

Simple, comfortable hotel, very convenient for all the sights, the cathedral and restaurants
    • Double or Twin Room

Our room was very dark - there was a wall outside the window.

The hotel was in a great location and the reception staff were very pleasant and helpful. We handsome lovely meals in the old town.

Good place to end your Camino.
    • Double or Twin Room

Can't think of a fault. But take your travelling bathplug!

End of the Camino! Our suitcases, forwarded from Sarria, were waiting for us and we were accommodated a day earlier than our booking. (Arriving early was a surprising achievement!). Helpful advise from the multilingual receptionist. No curfew. Good breakfast. Comfortable room. Nice view.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

A relaxing stay at a small boutique hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel is in the old part of the city and in only a 5-10 minute walk from the cathedral. The staff at reception are friend, helpful and speak excellent English. Good selection of food for breakfast.

Excellent location; really helpful receptionists ; could do with a few updates

The man serving at breakfast was very grumpy both mornings....bathroom was way too small and outdated, reception area was very small for sitting and wifi was not possible in my room so had to come down to reception to get wifi....bar never seemed to be open???

Both receptionists were so helpful, the location was fantastic, breakfast was good except for the game which was cheap low quality....very quiet which was a bonus for such a central location

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Great place to stay, and great staff!
    • Double or Twin Room

The Hotel Avenida's staff was really great: very kind and helpful when asked about tips on Santiago's sightseeing and suggestion for restaurants or places worth visiting close to Santiago, or any other question we addressed while staying there, 10+++! The room was larger than expected, confortable and clean. Breakfast was also very good, and all stuff replenished on a regular basis, really loved that! Great location, 10 steps away from the historical center. I would definitely stay there on my next trip to Santiago

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Cozy and comfortable.

Nothing to report here.

Cozy and comfortable. Everybody was super nice and helpful. Nice breakfast. Excellent place. We are certainly staying here again whenever in Santiago.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

for the money it is perfect, central to all you need to see
    • Double or Twin Room

basic Spanish breakfast, however we are in Spain. would have like the choice of something hot (winter)

Like it all, nice helpful and informative staff, clean and warm (Winter)

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Terrible staff service, good hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

The walls smelled like paint. We put up the do not disturb sign, but they still came in to clean. One of us forgot their hiking shoes there when we left. It took us 4 days for ye hotel to pick up the phone. When they did they refused to send it back and were completely unhelpful in coming up with another solution, even if it meant us paying for them to be mailed back to us in Barcelona. As a result, the shoes have been thrown out.

The rooms were clean, the breakfast was good, the location is great.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Bedbugs

Have the beds check for bedbugs.The beds had bedbugs.I was not able to sleep in the entire stay in the hotel. It was exhausting after the vacation.

The place is very clean. The staff are very helpful and courteous.