Reviews of The Principal Madrid 5 stars

Marqués de Valdeiglesias, 1, Madrid City Centre, 28004 Madrid, Spain

#48 of 327 hotels in Madrid

• Executive Double or Twin Room

we booked this hotel at the last minute for a 'mini moon' immediately after our wedding, and it was the perfect choice. location in the city was fantastic, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and the room was lovely, the bed was so comfortable! we didn't get to try the restaurant on this trip, but intend to do this when we return which we will do very soon!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

I did like many things but I did not like how there was only 1 shower robe and that the special gift offerings were only for 1 night. The location could also be better, it was not that close to the main attractions of Madrid. With that being said, it was a 10-15 min walk to Puerta del Sol and El Retiro which is not bad at all.

I liked how our rooms were upgraded to a little higher due to the fact that the other rooms at the time were sold out. One of our rooms had an amazing balcony terrace with a table that we could relax at. Each night the staff turned down the bed and offered a mat for us to put our feet on with slippers even though the carpet was very soft to begin with. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful and I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Everything was good except they charged me in dollars and I had to request after I left to make the charge in euros

Great location. Beds very nice. Great very nice staff

Staff could have been trained better and wear smarter uniforms, presentation of food could be better, the incense is overwhelming, less black everywhere,

Super friendly staff, and really enjoyed the breakfast buffet and a la Carte menu

Colours are quite dark .too much brown. The bathroom design was alittle odd.There was a need for a mat in bath to stop people slipping over when stepping in/out of bath.Once soap or shampoo used it was like a ice ring!

Bar on the roof was particularly welcome after days sight seeing.

• Premium Double Room

The pre-charging of the credit card, 50% upon booking and an additional approx 75% upon arrival

The dinner at the restaurant was excellent, top value for money. We fid not try the breakfast offer as we are used to just a coffee and vroissant/brioche for which the breakfast rate was felt excessive

Gym did not open until 10am, despite being advertised as opening at 7am. Some issue with noise of running machine.

We were able to get a dinner reservation at short notice.

• Premium Double Room

The building’s physical conditions and layout make arrival entry a difficult proposition.

The location to central Madrid is very convenient without finding yourself subject to the traffic and crowding encountered other large scale tourist hotels.

• Premium Double Room

Why do 5 star hotels give 2 people 1 teabag and 1 coffee per day and charge room service fees to deliver more?

Location. Friendly and helpful staff. The room was spacious and comfortable.

• Premium Double Room

Stayed for one night while travelling. Absolutely terrific hotel right in the middle of Madrid. The rooms were fantastic and the bed amazing. I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Need reservation for dinner in the restaurant? That doesn’t make sense to me at all. As a hotel guest I’d expect some kind of accommodation instead of saying “well you need reservation and we’re full for tonight” I think that’s unacceptable and will definitely influence my hotel choice on my next trip to Madrid. Otherwise very friendly staff and clean facilities

Vegetarian food options.

Wonderful hotel, staff, food, bar, outdoor patio, views, etc. The only thing I would request is a better vegetarian menu, however, I understand that is very difficult in Madrid. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Excellent service, complimentary sparkling wine in the room,and great views of the city. The Atico restaurant is located in the hotel and a very good one. Great location! I would stay in this hotel again.

I liked everything!!

The hotel was amazing and really made my vacation excellent! Super boutique experience! The staff, the room, everything as wonderful! ant to top it off the location!!! I was walking all around from there... I'm looking forward to staying there again!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The AC in our room broke so we had to sleep in a hot room. They offered to move us but we only had one more night so we decided to stay. We ordered room service and the ice cream was frozen.

The location, staff and property are amazing. We were welcomed as soon as our cab pulled up with complimentary Cava. The checked us in to our room immediately. The views from the top floor are great.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

It is the top of the top! Top location, top service, top room! Top position i Porta del Sol! Top breakfast! Go there you'll enjoy a super 5 stars hotel i Madrid!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

after the photos i was waiting a big building but the hotel doesn't even have an entrance.the lobby is on the 6th floor.the hotel is just a small part of the building in the photos,is not the hole building.it is super narrow.the location is not very good.

clean and modern

• Premium Double Room

The only disappointment was the rooftop bar. The waiter we had was rude and disappeared from us after taking our order. The other wait staff ignored us. The alcohol used tasted as though we were served low quality. Ironically the drinks were expensive. Honestly, the alcohol tasted like rubbing alcohol. We got headaches instantly after sipping the drinks. The rooftop views, especially during sunset is quite beautiful and memorable. Hopefully the hotel can correct the issues I've mentioned. I would not let our roof top experience lead a potential guest not to stay here. The hotel is great, so is the staff. Hopefully they fix the issues I mentioned.

This hotel was truly a gem. We would definitely return to this hotel during our next trip to Madrid. The staff was amazingly helpful, and welcoming. From the door man, to the valet, to the reception, everyone gave off a very welcoming attitude. The place is very organized. It is also very clean. At the time we were there the hotel was about three years old, I had thought it was much newer than that. Our ability to speak Spanish (unfortunately) is very poor, but we were able to stay at this hotel without any worry. Many, if not all who work here speak English very well. There is this wonderful tapas type of restaurant next door to the hotel that is pretty popular and gets filled up. The last night we were there, with very late notice, I contacted the front desk to see whether I could have a reservation at this restaurant. The front desk came through for us. A number of times the front desk proved to be incredibly helpful when we reached out.

Lobby is on a 5 the floor . The narrow spiral stairs inside hotel. And terrible , strong sense of air spray in public areas in hotel

Breakfast , selection of bread and meat. Quietness in my room. Amazing view from terrace on a 6 the floor

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The hospitality at The Principal was exceptional. The facilities were beautiful, the location was perfect, and the service was over the top great. Would recommend to anyone looking for a luxurious boutique hotel in Madrid.

The patio terrace was fabulous and nice restful respite from the day's activities. The rooftop bar provided an incredible view. The staff was attentive, professional, welcoming and top notch.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Just perfect. Fantastic dinner in their restaurant, great breakfast, wonderful room, gorgeous terrace with excellent views and above all, superbly accomodating staff.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

What looks like a pool on the roof terrace is actually a pond - its also hard to order drinks on the terrace during the day as they say they don't really open it - they should open it and have some fans / water cool sprayers so people can relax up there. The room as also a bit smaller than we would have expected.

Comfortable bed, nice decoration, great staff.

Cushions was a bit hard & welcome drink needs a huge improvement. Wifi dropped off quite a few times.

Roof top bar was amazing. Staff helpful, friendly and professional. Easy access to tourist attractions. Rooms are great and had a kettle & nespresso machine.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Very elegant hotel, great location, extremely friendly and client-oriented staff! Restaurant is perfect, we celebrated birthday there and were very pleased with the food and service.

The view from the room is probably not the strongest point of the hotel

The hotel is located in the city center, and walking distance from many point of interest. The hotel is very comfortable, and the service is very good. Very good breakfast The terrace is amazing

Not value for money.

The hotel location is brilliant. Also the homey feeling is lovely The rooms are very well appointed. The view is abysmal. But since you are not in the room very much it doesn't matter

• Deluxe Double Room

After staying 5 days I checked out on a Saturday morning and encountered the only poor customer service I have experienced in Spain or at this hotel. There was only one young woman available to check people both in and out and perhaps she was overwhelmed but she was not polite at all. She didn't ask about the stay, or if one needed anything, or we hope you return, etc. It was clear that I needed to give her my credit card and get out. It was really a shame to leave with this impression as the rest of the staff from check-in, conceriege, room service, breakfast attendants, and cleaning staff were lovely. Perhaps it was just a bad day.

Perfect location, central and within walking distance to all major attractions and public transport. Also very close to the park if you like to jog or walk. Room very quiet and comfortable and Cleanliness was above the board. Hospitality was wonderful until the check out.

• Deluxe Double Room

there was a domestic row going on in the other room and we could hear everything late into the night

the coffee is always good in spain but the best thing about this hotel was the location

• Premium Double Room

Annoying in a 5 star hotel that room wasnt ready (we arrived over half an hour after the official check in time). However reception arranged drinks etc and were apologetic.

Cleanliness of room. Relaxed but efficient service at breakfast. Delicious omelettes. VERY helpful concierge prior to our arrival. 5 stars ! Organised restaurants for us which were really good

• Premium Double Room

Ok so all cities are exspensive but booking.com charged us for breakfast but we had not got this when we arrived not hotel fault however

Location and staff, room nice

• Premium Double Room

We love it! When we arrived they received us with an excellent attitude willing to help us all the way. Then at the reception exceeded my expectation they are very kind Gustavo, Ricco, the gil with black hair in the breakfast very attentive and sweet. Rafael helped us to go to the room very respectful. THE ROOM AMAZING. bathroom super clean. BIG ROOM. We had a double deluxe. Love it If I return To Spain that will be my hotel again. GREAT LOCATION everything is near.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

everything is great in this hotel, but the staff is extra super great who make us feel at home. they are really friendly and just want to help, even the trainees. really safe, comfortable, quiet, clean, great location in the beginning of gran via, full option! thanks for making us happy!

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

there is no lobby and the room was quite small, although I booked a suite. WiFi was not that strong, as I needed to go beside the room's door to be connected.

The breakfast was fresh and very nice. good service, good staff. Location is good too but little pit noisy until the mid night as it is nearby the Gran Via. I like too the service of storing the bags.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The gym is small with minimal machines. Also terrace was somewhat cold.

I requested help in locating a ceramics shop to purchase a vase. The staff worked as a team and researched the possibilities until they found a ceramics store that met my needs. It was nice to see that they did not give up until I was taken care of.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The room that was provided to us was very dark and located at the back of the hotel and we were facing a wall of the other building- the view was miserable! We did not feel when it was day or night because of the darkness of the room. The breakfast price was very high for the quality of the food that was served, and the buffet was very poor. The reception area was too tiny and the staff were unhelpful and rude. The price of the room was too high comparing to other neighbor hotels! I cant evaluate it as a 5-star hotel!

Only the location of the hotel

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Premium Double Room

The gym was a little bit of a disappointment and also having to wait 15 minutes for the sauna to warm up which was not close too or part of the gym,

We both thought the location and all the staff were superb, could not have been more helpful

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Nothing, everything was perfect. Really!

The property was beautiful and the staff was warm and welcoming. Service was impeccable from the moment we walked in the door. The location is unbeatable. I work in a luxury boutique hotel, so my standards are very high and The Principal Madrid exceeded them in every way. It was truly the best experience I've ever had as a guest in a hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Premium Double Room

A little bit far from restaurants and tourist attractions

Nice hospitality, warm and helpful staffs. Atico restaurant and breakfast is great. Room is very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

I found absolutely no fault with this hotel.

Great location on Gran Via, smart decor and super helpful staff. The rooftop is gorgeous. The room was not big but well appointed.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Premium Double Room

Lobby bar - limited wine selection (surprise for a country of wine) and bar tenders do not know how to make cocktails. Minor issues: there was a difference between weekend room service crew and weekday (a little more relaxed on the weekend). Do Not Disturb door-sign really does work...if you leave it on during the evening hours 5-7PM, you won't get your free water and chocolate.

There was everything to love about this hotel and our stay. Location was excellent...so good I didn't even know until we arrived...5 days later we were still finding new local areas off the main streets near the hotel (including excellent restaurants and a wine shop). Being in the heart of the city it was walking distance to all the main sights of Madrid (appx. 15-25mins) in any direction. Nearby (3-5mins) was shopping (off the main street) and local resturants. The hotel was modern and worth the 5-stars. Entry is right off the corner of a side street but don't let it fool you thinking you got it wrong....enter the hotel and be greeted by the doormen....where all the lobby is on the 6th floor. Right between the restaurant and bar....which are both lovely. Food was very good and wine at the bar was great. As for where the magic happens - the rooms, they were very modern and comfortable. Beds were very nice, view was great, and bath area was terrific. Lastly, the staff....they were wonderful. Everyone from concierge to room service. Zero complaints. Especially turn-down service ...bottle water and Godiva chocolate.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Breakfast was a little too expensive. I am not a big buffet person. Lucky to discover the Starbucks around the corner. The roof top bar was a gem, the food options limited. Overall the place was perfect.

Location Location - this was the best. If you get a room with a view it is amazing looking out onto the dome. Boutique at best!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately, while this hotel was in a great location and had a beautiful view from the rooftop, it did not offer the level of luxury or quality that one expects during a five star stay (e.g. poor quality of food from room service, poor water pressure in shower, poor recommendations on high-end restaurants, etc.)

Location was amazing and the staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Bed very comfortable, hotel very quiet despite being centrally based. Staff very helpful. Fabulous roof terrace. Shame restaurant was fully booked for dinner during my stay but that is my only beef

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Premium Double Room

One room, 3rd floor overlooking busy street was a bit noisy. Madrid never sleeps.

Breakfast was excellent, rooms and staff were exceptional. We walked to everything we wanted to see.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

- New, modern, interesting with good quality service hotel. New is the main plus, because Madrid have many 5 stars hotel, but all it are old, with old atmosphere. - Tasty breakfast. I advise booking room with breakfast. - All our request were implemented. - Good location.

The location and style of the hotel are outstanding. The roof terrace with bar is phantastic, the drinks are perfect. A great stay in the middle of Madrid.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Rooftop quite busy, staff not always great with seating people

It's been a great experience. Top location, friendly staff, amazing rooftop terrace. Perfect spot to experience the city

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The only thing we don't like is the lift is too small and slow.

The location is fantastic, it is within walking distant to either museums or shopping areas. The staff at the reception counter are friendly and very helpful. The breakfast is not big but very good quality.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Executive Double or Twin Room

A little strange to come in on the bottom and have to go up to the 6th floor to check in.

Great location for exploring Madrid, close to the museums, shopping, Retiro Park, Puerto del Sol and more restaurants than you could possibly need! Clean, (but small) modern rooms with bluetooth for music, which was a nice touch. Wifi worked well. Rooftop bar was the best - amazing views and friendly bartenders. Good value on the drinks too.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Excellent service, good size room, discrete and not too large a hotel.

Excellent !

• Premium Double Room

Excellent hotel, great central spot

• Premium Double Room

Not enough light in the room or the bathroom

Loved a breakfast and a restaurant space

• Premium Double Room

Minor: the Pillows are not that comfortabel. I do not like to shower in the bathtub.

Very helpfull staff Good food Very good location

Room small poor facilities

Great staff and location

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Size of the room and color used in the room

• Executive Double or Twin Room

The rooftop terrace had a wonderful view of the city!

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Rooms smaller then expected for price

Location was great. Staff were fabulous and very friendly. Decor was beautiful

All good

• Premium Double Room

All was good no complaints nice welcome

Staff very good

• Premium Double Room

They closed the street twice in three days,I almost missed my plane.

Location,lounge/bar

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Great hotel and staff next time again will stay here...

There is No Lobby

The staff

• Premium Double Room

Excelent staff ! Bed could be more comfortable. Bkf is superb !

The hotel is in a near perfect location. It has a great style and the staff were fantastic

• Premium Double Room

reception is on the top floor and lifts are slow and small.

Rooms very comfortable, good position but would stay in Salamanca district next time

Breakfast needs improvement

Reception staff excellent so helpful welcoming and friendly. Concierge also excellent.

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Driver couldn't be found for airport run. To be fair, booked it last minute.

The staff ,the design, the atmosphere, breakfast. We love the hotel.

It felt like home

• Premium Double Room

Nice terrace, very nice staff, comfortable chic hotel, Great location, Very efficient on every aspects

• Executive Double or Twin Room

Fantastic bed nice bathroom spacious room nice restaurant good breakfast. Unbelievable friendly helpful staff. Great location.

Browse The Principal Madrid traveller photo gallery