Reviews of Hostal Inter Plaza Mayor 2 stars

Zaragoza, 6 - 3º Dcha, Madrid City Centre, 28012 Madrid, Spain

#321 of 372 B&Bs and Inns in Madrid

5.7

i warn you ...old hostal full of acari, acaros mites or insects. i find out in the hard way

this old hotel is full of acaros, mites..insects. i was bitten by them during the night and also i believe when i dress early morning ( they were in my clothes). i was bitten in my legs, arms and all my body and i only spent 2 nights there. i had to go to the pharmacy because i am allergic to the mites so you can imagine how my body was. i feel itching and have inflammation in some areas. Now i am under treatment and waiting how can i evolve. I was given my money back and booking pay me almost 11 euros for a cream but this not compensate this terrible experience. so give urself a favour and stay away. i didn't have time to make an official claim in la comunidad de Madrid because i had to take a flight but i will do it once i am in Madrid again. This hostal need a fumigation.

location and staff

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

It is placed very close to plaza mayor and plaza del sol.

The double bed was too small for 2 people. The signboard is not visible because it is cover by trees so it was difficult to find the hotel. The electric sockets were not enought.

It is placed very close to plaza mayor and plaza del sol. In few minutes you can reach the most famous place of madrid.

David is a gem of that hostal. Great location and money value

David was a great host, he deserved a salary increased and an employee to be valued. The location, too is few steps to Plaza Mayor and to Puerta del Sol. Most of the tourist spots reached by foot from the Hostal Inter PLaza Mayor. It was recommended by my wife when she visited Madrid 7 years ago when the Hostal was name Hostal Tijcal (if am not mistaken). There is aircondition for free. I told my wife with this new facilities and she's looking forward to visit Madrid again and stay here for sure. Highly recommended. Jose Agustus Madrid

The staff are fantastic.

The shower is tiny but honestly it’s value for money. I paid cheap for my own room and got what I paid for. It’s a room with a bed, shower and private space.

The staff are fantastic. They assisted me with all my questions- And I had many! I only speak English and this was able to be understood. The rooms are small but hey what do u expect for the price you pay. I was very happy there. Safe, my own room and in a fantastic location. If you need a bed for a few nights in a great location this is it! The aircon was fine, wifi perfect and a very quiet place. Highly recommend staying here..

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Hostel rooms are basic and small, can feel a little crowded when fully occupied. Otherwise, clean and tidy rooms.

Absolutely great location in the centre of Madrid. Prices were reasonable too. Staff were nice and friendly.

Extremely enjoyable.
    • Double Room with Terrace

40 steps to the top room, difficult to carry your luggage up if you are not a spring chicken! Room needs a safety deposit box.

Location was excellent, basic but the bed was comfortable, shower superb staff very helpful. What more can you expect from a budget hotel.

Could not fault the location and it was very peaceful at night.

Nothing really. Just got what I expected from a low star hotel in a very expensive city where location was key.

The location and the honesty of the cleaning staff for finding my credit card and handing it back to me.

Location was perfect, next to Plaza Mayor!

At first we got room without window. In other room we had window, but so many broken things started from electricity cabel etc. Breakfast in bar next to hotel was not good, bar was also dirty.

Location was perfect, next to Plaza Mayor!

Overall we had a good break.

The size of the room was small and even the bathroom was very small,hardly any space to move around.

The room was very small, however it was clean, appealing and close to the centre. It is good for a short break. The receptionist was very helpful. The hostal also has a lift which is useful especially to carry luggage.

Location is the best.

No direct access by car. The property was shown on gps under its old name, hence it was hard to locate. My room was noisy from people outside the hotel & I could hear noise from the next room.

Location is the best. Also a reason why there could be no car access. Definitely worth a 2d & more stays.

Good location, poor facilities.. really bad value for the money
    • Double Room with Terrace

the room was really basic (no table, no heating in the bathroom and poor heating in the room, the door window didn't close, holes in the walls, a lamp literally fall of the wall, just 2 power sockets

totally live the expectations for €10
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

there was shampoo and shower gel, but no toothpaste for some reason. whats the logic... i mean such things are easily forgotten and they could at least offer it for an additional fee

This is probably one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. Very nice staff, good facilities, functioning wifi (wow! that a luxury in the 21st century), good beds, everything clean. Personal light for every bed, TWO plugs for EVERY bed (plugs is still luxury for some reason) Ive been there in February so it was a low season, I had only 1-2 neighbors in my room.

Clean, cheap and centrical.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

It is more a pension than a hostal, so don’t expect to much of the ambience. You can find a family living in there. Anyway, it was clean and very cheap.

Clean, cheap and centrical.

Great location, but very low budget.
    • Double Room with Terrace

The hotel is undergoing construction, which began at 8 AM and could be heard quite clearly in our room. The TV did not work, and the hot water in the shower gave out after only a few minutes.

The staff was very friendly. The location was also excellent!

Good for a night if you're on a budget, you get what you pay for.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Beware! They casually asked for a payment on arrival and even though I had paid online I almost fell for it! When you are travelling and booking lots of rooms you can loose track. When I told him I'd paid he just looked at the computer and agreed. Hmmm. It could be an honest mistake but for some reason I got the feeling they did it on purpose...but I could be totally wrong. I didn't like the bed covers, horrible scratchy material...but you get two sheets one for under and one for over so it's ok. You have the make the bed yourself but cheap hostel I don't mind this. Al least you know its been changed! They don't have all female dorms.

When I arrived the two lads at reception finished their conversation before acknowledging me then allocated me a room with all men..it smelt. But when I asked to change they sorted it out for me and was put in a room with a family and two other men. The family included a women so I felt more comfortable. The wifi was good, there were lockers, bathroom clean and working. They let me store my bag.

hostel without security.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

hostel without security. I left my wallet for less than a minute in the living room that had cameras and a person took my card copied it and made several purchases with it (almost 7 thousand euros in stay in luxury hotels). so I asked the staff to see the cameras and they said they did not work. Two days later I left two bananas on my bed and went out to the street, so when I came back someone stole them (even the bananas did not spare them). the hostel is full of thieves and the cameras do not work or the staff does not want to solve problems. for bookings of less than 3 days they charge 2 euros for bed linen. after staying 2 days I asked to stay one more night, I did this twice, and each one said they had to pay the fee again. only if you book 3 more nights at a time would not charge, but had already paid once so no longer needed. anyway I paid the fee 3 times and did not change the clothes at all. and they said it was the system's fault that they could not change that, but they understood me. in short, the staff takes advantage of the situation to charge traveler's roads fees with ridiculous excuses.

Backpackers hostel, They have private bedrooms but I did not see them! Great location for turist

for the price, was ok

it is a hostel, not a hotel! I get a good prices, and just sleep one night! It was ok for me, you have a bathroom in Bedroom, it was ok

The place is in a great location and does the job.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There wasn't really any common area in the hostel or at least it wasn't pointed out to me, making socialising a bit more awkward as you only meet the people in your dorm. There was also no kitchen which means you have to buy all your meals so it can be a bit more expensive for your travels.

The location is great. Our 6 bed dorm also had two bathrooms to share which was really convenient.

Bad experience

I’ve been traveling for 10 years and this is the worst hotel I’ve ever been to. I don’t recommend it at all and it’s not worth the money we have paid. Very small room with dirty sheets, towels were not changed for two nights.

The only advantage is the location by Sol train station.

Bathroom had a lot of mold in it.

Bathroom had a lot of mold in it. Stairs was not up to standard. One was loose. Had to carry heavy luggage from 3rd. to 4th. floor. No key in safe.. Noise all the time from outside. Door next room was slamming late at night. Number 324.

It sufficed for one night.

see above.

Very small room , and tiny bathroom. Was sunny. Bed comfy. Good location close to cafes & plaza. No safe . (Well, there was one but they weren't in use any more, nor did Reception safeguard valuables for you.) Lots of stairs to lug cases up. It was cheap for the area.

Worst hostel in the world
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The beds aren't comfortable, they look and feel like army beds, the shower was gross, water didn't drain in one and the pressure was low in the other. Facilities are in bad shape and lacking. No place to hang out which means you're stuck in your room even when people are sleeping.

A nice stay, ideal for travelers.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The card key didn't work a few times which became an inconvenience.

It is a simple hostel for a night or two stay, friendly staff, and in the centre of Sol which is a lively place in Madrid.

OK Hostel was much better
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Everything else. Some of the staff seemed decent, but one told me I had to check out after the first night of my two night stay, even though he had already confirmed that the booking was for two nights. Check in time was 2pm and they weren't flexible. The place was old and rundown. The card operated lock on my door broke and wouldn't accept any keys except the matter key card.

Location; it was right next to Plaza Mayor and across the street from an incredible pub called Opulo.

The worst hotel ever, I dont roccumend it at all

Its the worst hotel i have ever seen , it could destroy my whole trip , the furnitures were very old , and doesnt look like at all what it was shown , not clean at all ( i found insect inside the room) , we couldnt sleep at all , it was like a nightmare for me and for my family , we were just waiting the night to finish . The elevator they have doenst fit the bags ( small bags even ) . Its the worst hotel ever and they took from me 95€ for one nighy !!!!! I do have pictures of everything , i forget to mention the the bathroom's door was also broken from bottom ( its very very old). You can see form the picture how was the tv is smaller than the mirror , and the cables are everywhere. And btw these pictures are from the good room after he changed it for me , i wish i could get photos to the prevoiuse room which was a disaster.

I didnt like anything , its the worst hotel ever

Location right at the Plaza Mayor, could not get any closer...

Please ensure when asking the staff to book your taxi to the airport the day you fly to ensure it is done, I was forgotten but luckily the girl working early morning got me a last minute taxi.

Location right at the Plaza Mayor, could not get any closer to the heart of all the tourism in the city. Walkable to other landmarks from the central location.

Excellent value for price if you book in advance.

The excellent location of the hostel covers any small inconvenience, such as a bathroom without direct ventilation.

I was lucky to have a very well-placed, airy, bright and spacious room, comfortable bed. Cleaning was beyond expectations. The reception staff kindly responded to all the requests. Within a 300-meter radius you can have anything you like as a tourist without a car.

I really enjoyed this hostel.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I really enjoyed this hostel. The location is perfect, very close to Royal Palace and main street. I am very thankful to the front desk administrator Teo. He helped me so much to solve my problem with a flight, organized a transfer to the airport and even called to the airport to ask the flight staff to wait me a bit. Muchas grazias. Teo really saved my situation. Congratulations for hiring such a good stuff :)

Basic accommodations in excellent location

Noisy area. Take ear plugs. Tiny bathroom. WiFi just barely worked. Make sure to use own VPN. Office 3 floors up, not clearly marked. 1 person lift if with bag. No light in stairs.

It is suitable for staying one night
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The room is so small for the 6 bed bunk room. During night, it is quite noisy as there are pub around. No kitchen or pantry in the hostel which mean you can't interact with other, either stay in your room or going out.

The staffs are friendly and helpful as they do try to clean the room earlier for early check in. The location is excellent as it near the sol metro station and the plaza de jacinto benavente.

One more time there....I dunno...

Well......It was my 2d stay here. Before I had been staying in this hostel 4 years ago & was happy with it. This time I was travelling with my mother (65y.o. & son 12 y.o.). First we were given a room with a totaly broken shower-cabin & the only thing we were offered was to take shower in the neighbour room - it was easier for us to use our showre & flood the floor rather than to organise a nude-show in the tiny corridor we were living in. I asked for several times to do smth about this.... The reception guy primised that he'll contact us as soon as another room is free - around 10 or 11am. Next day it was ME who asked again....at smth past 12(((( But finally we obtained another room, not broken to pieces. I am not crazy & don't want any luxary apartments for the price of a hostel..... But, hey!!!!! - when it's +40 & your family & you cannot simply use a shower!!! It's rediculous((( - BTW, this time I chose your Hostal coz I loved it some years ago & I'm quite patient & not extremly demanding.... but the shower(((( And one more point: air conditioners haven't been cleaned for ages((( - when it was blowing, pieces of dush were fallig out.... You know what, the price was quite the price for a better hotel. One more time there....I dunno...

The location is super! Yes....the location))) & the hostel is easy to find.

There was airconditioning, even though the website stated...
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Dirty room. The bathroom showed signs of mold and there were still hairs from previous guests on the ground.

There was airconditioning, even though the website stated that this was only available after an extra payment.

The location is great, very central.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The bed isn't comfortable. You hear lot of noise when people move during the night. There is no place in the room to sit either because the bed is too low

The location is great, very central. Plus it's so cheap, definitely worth the value

Amazing staff + perfect location
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Keycard was not working often and the internet in the rooms barely works

The location is perfect, but what really makes this hostel score that high is the amazing staff. Very helpful and friendly! Definitely worth your money, but don't expect a 5 star room.

Location was good

The smell from the bathroom was horrible. Also the architecture of the bathroom I think he was drunk when he put the wc near the door and in front of the sink. small rooms with an unpleasant smell.

Location was good

I mean it's cool but you can do better

My key had to be reactivated every single time I used it. Booking.com said I could check in at 9am, the staff says I have to wait until after 2pm.

It was cool for what you pay for. Honestly, for less than what I spent I could have got a nice condo through airbnb, but I guess I know that for next time.

Great value for money!

The room was tiny though. There were no food facilities. But lots of restaurants and shops nearby made up for it.

Great Location! Right in centre of Madrid's plaza mayor.

Good location, bad infrastructure, cleaning acceptable but insufficient.

Private bathroom in need of urgent repair - clotted plumming, paint coming off the ceiling, cracked tiles. The room itself is not confortable, walls very dirty with dust, not enough pillows supplied, AC unit only switches off when power supply is cut and it is located directly over the bed, which is highly inconvenient. Sound insulation is non-existent - you can hear all that happens in the rooms next door.

Location is perfect and AC is included, which is essential for Madrid in the summer.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Good location and reasonable price but air conditioner and WiFi did not work in the room.
    • Double Room with Terrace

Room was recently renovated but the air conditioner did not work, sliding door to balcony would not lock, room had very poor WiFi signal, only good WiFi signal at the check in area.

Good location reasonable price.

We loved the hotel, great design, excellent location and...
    • Double Room with Terrace

Although there was an air con unit in our room, the room was way too hot. We appreciate that the temperature outside was 36 degrees, which didn't help, but we were unable to be in the room during the day and really struggled to sleep due to the heat.

We loved the hotel, great design, excellent location and very secure with buzzer on hotel door. We had a double bedroom with bathroom and large terrace, the room was newly refurbished and was immaculate. Bathroom and shower were spotless, shower was easy to use and always had hot water. Staff very friendly.

A practical place to stay but not much else.

Staff were pretty rude, no welcome, no smile, no thank you at the end, no personality and no willingness to advise on attractions, places to go. Hostel rooms were slightly rough around the edges, broken air con and/ or shower doors however okay considering price.

Great location, nice authentic look to the hostel. There are some great bars and attractions in the immediate area.

Room of HORRORS

Everything. Noise from everywhere, people making love, talking loud, sounds of people flushing the bathroom, showers....etc, extremely small room, hot. I can't believe I paid for this place!

Nothing..

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

WiFi only works on the lobby, but it was not really a problem for me.

Excellent location: just a few steps from Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol, where you can take the subway to pretty much anywhere. It's also easy to walk to a lot of the attractions and there are lots of restaurants nearby. Staff was really helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Cheap and good for one night
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Completely insane to have place for six persons in such a small room. It's way too crowded, there are no chairs, no space for luggage. People come and go all night so it's impossible to sleep, seem to offer accommodation per hour. I had no key, so the receptionist had to come with me every time I needed to go to the room. A lot of steps so it is unconfortable if you have a heavy suitcase.

The location is excellent, in the centre. The bathroom is clean and have warm water, the bed is ok with clean sheet. The receptionist was very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

This hostal is in the city center and very close to the...

It is a really unpleasant experience to chose this hostel. It has destroyed my travel. The hostel has changed its name once. But the google map doesn't update it. I think the hostel should inform me all of this by email after I booked it but they didn'T. So it is very difficult to find it especially for some asian travelers. Actually, I spent even more than three hours to find the hostel at midnight.

This hostal is in the city center and very close to the scenery spots.

Great location, good for a low budget stay

Wifi only worked in the reception area. The room smelled a bit of cigarette smoke and there were visible burn marks from cigarettes.

Very good location in a cool area right next to Plaza de Mayor and in walking distance of many attractions!

Excellente location, nice staff.
    • Double Room with Terrace

No elevator to the the floor we were housed on. We had heavy bags and had to carry them up and down.

The location. It's near one of the portals of Plaza Mayor. The staff also is very nice and smiley, something not very common in Spain. We enjoyed our stay there.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Location was excellent to the see the city.

We had to ask for new towels 2 days out of the 5 days we stayed. Shower was very small and shower door was broken and would not close. Internet only worked in the Lobby

Location was excellent to the see the city. Right beside Plaza Mayor and steps away from Sol

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Hostel mainly for people interested in whole-night parties. Not recommended for tall people!

the room is much smaller than what you see on the photos. I had to ask at the reception to change the first room shown to us as, however we booked room for 2 persons it was so small that you could barely move around alone (claustrophobic is the perfect word). The second room was a little better. Wi-fi not working completely in the room and walls are so thin that you hear a SMS coming to people sleeping in room next to yours. Hairdryer listed as equipped in the room only available at reception (1 for all rooms). Definitely will search for something better next time visiting Madrid.

Actually the only positive thing about this hostel is it's location as it is really exactly in the center of Madrid.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

The staff was really helpful and nice.

The rooms weren't very clean for a hostal that the housekeepers worked everyday. Also the rooms were tiny.

The staff was really helpful and nice. The location was amazing and its a good value for the money that we paid.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Good Location and Staff but so Rundown and Neglected

Years of neglect. Décor covered in scuff marks, peeling and yellowing from age. Wardrobe door frame hanging off and different size twin beds. Shower base surround covered in black mould.

Good location and reception staff

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Never again

The rooms are very small even for 2 people... Old, dirty walls, smelly rooms... disgusting hostel. I have been in other hostels in Madrid, those were much cleaner and better..

The location of the hotel was pretty good.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Really friendly and open staff.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Bed could be more comfortable but for me that wasn't bothering

Really friendly and open staff. Location is great just next to Plaza de Mayor. and The room had two bathrooms for 6 people.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Very central basic hotel for travelers

Internet was weak,room with attached bath has no extra power outlet in the bed area, no window view just an air well,insufficient information on location to get to the hotel-it should not be too hard to find

Right beside the Mayor plaza

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

just locality of the hostel
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

There are no lockers for wardrobe The Internet just was available in reception but before reservation it was mentioned that there is available in all rooms.

just locality of the hostel

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Only if you need to be near Sol and save money
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Hostal Tijcal charged my credit card without even asking if I wanted to pay cash instead. I don't know if they remodeling but the hallways seemed in disarray. It's loud outside but that's Madrid. If you want to socialize, go to a real hostel. It was the only hostel-like option available since I booked late, so book early.

Hostal Tijcal is basically a place to crash for the night if you need to be near Sol. Dorm room is medium sized but had two separate bathrooms. They will store your bag for the day and there is a bathroom next to reception.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

My expirience

way too small rooms. wifi works only at reception area. Air conditioning only at extra payment. Definitely overpriced what I've paid for this place. Had to change to another hotel due to water absence . I really don't recommend this hotel ....

the only good thing I can think of is the location of this place.

One night stay

The shower door was broken.

It was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

It’s an ugly place.
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

It’s an ugly place. Not recomendable!!

Good for the money. Excellent location

No common areas

Location only

Place is very dirty, walls have not been painted for ages, it was very difficult to sleep keeping in mind how dirty place was.

Location only

• Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

The room smelled a little, but that may have been due to the other guest (I stayed in a mixed dorm).

Good, clean, friendly hotel, very economic with room size though

Hardly any room to swing a cat...

Hotel right next to Plaza Mayor, with nearby access to Metro. Room clean, comfy bed BUT very small . Staff friendly

great location / average room.

The room was a bit small and slightly dingy, luckily we weren't planning on staying there much!

location was great!

Best location in Madrid for good price.

Bathroom is very small and they charge you extra for using air conditioning.

The best location! A step away from Plaza Mayor. Free and good WIFI.

Great location, just a bit too small and cramped room

Small room, cramped bathroom...

Not enough hot water.

Not enough hot water.

Small room and bathroom, not suit with the price..

I ll be back for sure in my next visit
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Everything is very very good

Everything is nice. Clean security and staff are very gently and nice

good location

room space not enough

good location

The location of the Hotel for see attracted sites of History...

The location of the Hotel for see attracted sites of History and the restaurants were close by to the Hotel

I didn't pay attention that this hostel doesn't have...
    • Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I didn't pay attention that this hostel doesn't have a kitchen, so it was the main problem for me.

Good location and a comfortable room

Good location , nice staff