Reviews of Hotel Helka 4 stars

Pohjoinen Rautatiekatu 23, Eteläinen Suurpiiri, 00100 Helsinki, Finland

#46 of 169 hotels in Helsinki

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

The comfort level of this hotel is amazing!

Sadly, the sauna and chrome cast weren’t working but things that are easily fixed.

The comfort level of this hotel is amazing! The bed was super comfortable and the size of the room was perfect. The breakfast was so tasty.

Amazing choice

I was surprized to see what this hotel offers for its price. Helsinki is a city with extremely expensive accomodation and in contrast to this Helka hotel provides amazing accomodation for a reasonable price. Clean, spacious rooms, comfortable and soft bed and comfy bathroom. Location is in the heart of the city, 3 min walk from Kamppi shopping center and bus station and about 8-10 mins walk from the Helsinki Central Railway station Good breakfast and even saunas are included into price

Location was nice!

The single room was small but still clean and comfortable. However, I think they should provide towels in the sauna.

Location was nice!! Very easy to the transportation for airport and metro. Staffs are super nice and always smiley! I forgot the girl’s name who helped me to make reservation. She just super sweet!

Good location and good value

This hotel gave me the impression of having being furnished by Ikea. It was very functional but at the same time very basic.

Breakfast was varied and good. The bed was quite comfortable and the location was not too far from the centre of the city. I also enjoyed the unusual black sweets which weren't particularly sweet but Moorish at the front desk. I also liked having the BBC available on the TV.

Quality, sustainability, efficiency

Finland is an expensive country to visit.

Fabulous boutique hotel that is within walking distance from railway station. Extremely efficient staff. Breakfast was almost all organic choices. Very concerned about sustainability and it showed in everything they designed, did. Was worth paying more for a place that actually cares about the environment.

The hotel was full of cool Finnish design, next to HAM and we felt very comfortable there
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Ventilation system in the room was noisy, disturbed our sleep and we weren't able to mute it. And parking was an extra fee.

Very delicious breakfast and we were able to leave our car after check out. We appreciated this a lot.

Nice surprise
    • Comfort Single Room

I wrote in the 'special requests' field that I would like some flowers in my room, since it is my birthday. There was a nice surprise waiting for me at the place - no flowers, but chocolate, small gift and birthday wishes. It was so lovely. Beside that - the breakfast was awesome and the room super nice.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

The hotel is clean and modern.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

I made the unfortunate mistake of booking the hotel for the wrong day (the next day) and they didn't show any empathy or understanding with regards to the situation. We in fact had to cancel the booking without a refund at the front desk, while the receptionist didn't care at all about the repercussions. Then, we needed to book the same reservation again, so we were ultimately charged twice. Absolute frustration. The location is also pretty far from the city center and the hallways and rooms were quite dark.

The hotel is clean and modern. We also enjoyed the breakfast selection, as well as the comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

If there was no any noise surrounding the building, I would grade it full credits.
    • Comfort Single Room

The noise made me awake in the entire night.

The location and facility including sauna room are wonderful, also, the breakfast offered is fantastic, but it is a little small and noisy.

Very comfortable hotel convenient for attractions, transport and eating.

Leaky shower - considerable gap at bottom of shower door.

Friendly helpful staff. Spacious well equipped room. Convenient location for attractions, transport and eateries. Nice bar for relaxation time.

Well worth a stay

Funky hotel with outstanding staff. Oona was just a great help when we arrived. Room has beautiful decor and is comfortable. Good size bathroom. It is a concept hotel and it makes it even more interesting. Location is convinient. Highly recommend it

A unique quality Hotel near city center

You could hear faint music coming from a nightclub nearby. This might be an issue if you are a light sleeper like I am but we had a corner room on the 5th floor so it did not bother me really during the night.

The hotel is situated on a good location with a walking distance to train station and city center. The room was clean and pleasantly decorated with a unique style. A very comfortable bed and Air-conditioning guaranteed sweet dreams. Breakfast was varied with good gluten-free options. The staff was professional and friendly.

Lovely hotel, very friendly staff, great location!

There was some minor misalignment with the room cleaning: as we had the dog in the room, we had to agree certain timing when we all will be away, which we did, but room cleaning staff somehow kept forgetting to come, therefore our room wasn't cleaned for 3 days. This was not so disturbing for us though, we are quite neat, and didn't spoil our overall impression of the hotel.

Lovely hotel, very friendly staff, great location! We will for sure come back again. We were travelling with our dog and experienced truly dog-friendly environment.

Good stay at centrally located but calm enviornmnet

Good spread of Breakfast

The breakfast was very good. only one explanation about the facility cleaning or the room was missing. Otherwise everything was good. I enjoyed the stay in Helsinki.looking forward to stay there again.

The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was plentiful and...

The photo print over the bed was really too much. What was probably a design element resulted instead in a poorly design, overwhelming distraction (and I am being kind, really) when in bed. I am sorry, for me it didn't work.

The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was plentiful and varied.

Very good experience all in all.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

The check in time was a little long as the automatic check in terminals were out of use when we arrived (at an busy hour). I saw they worked the next day though.

The room was very quiet and the bed comfy. Breakfast is included in the price and of excellent quality. WiFi works well and there are newspapers available for reading in the breakfast room. You can walk in a few minutes to the centre of the city. It takes about 20 min walk through the shopping streets to reach the Market Square and the Cathedral and the Senate Square.

I will stay here again!

The wash basin in the single room was rather tiny.

A cozy and comfortable hotel in an excellent location close to the Kamppi Centre. Friendly and helpful staff, a silent room for a good night's sleep, and excellent breakfast.

A good way to see Finnish design and the Finnish way of doing things.

The focus on Finnish design at Helka is unique among all the Helsinki hotels I have stayed in. The free sauna sessions in the mornings and evenings are also another insight into Finnish culture/life.

Nice hotel, large room, confortable beds, close to metro,...

small breakfast area for the hotel capacity, therefore very crowded.

Nice hotel, large room, confortable beds, close to metro, trams and buses, good breakfast, good internet connection.

we enjoyed our stay, breakfast was good, friendly staff and great interiors
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Coffee mugs provided was not clean from inside,had some yellow stains, so had to wash it before using, we got Room no 213, where the door was broken from outside, had a small scratch, the wardrobe was not clean, we had to wipe the rack before keeping our clothes, the sliding door of the wardrobe makes sound and little broken. Breakfast tables were not set properly, basic cutlery set & napkins should be kept in every table, we had to search for it. should include more variety of cold meats and mushrooms and other veggies.

Friendly staff, tea/coffee maker in the room which was very helpful as I was not well and could have hot water all time, clean towels, bed, even bath robe & room slippers were provided, had an option for Sauna so hair dryer was included as well. Room decor was amazing, specially the lights above bed, decorative ceiling, big size bed with table, enough chairs, big long mirror, TV, everything was included and really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend. Breakfast was included and had a good variety of food but would have loved to eat more cold meats, only Ham & salami was available.

I love the Breakfast Buffet at Helka - looking forward every...

I love the Breakfast Buffet at Helka - looking forward every time again! :-) Helka's location is perfect in the City Centre of Helsinki, the rooms very likeable with Nordic understanding in style.

Great for urban explorers

Other room's trash was left behind in our room two nights in a row. Odd error.

Contemporary decor (often referred to as "funky"); authentically engaged staff; interesting location straddling two key neighborhoods.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Easy to check in,nice and helpful staff.

There is no minibar in the room.breakfast is not that rich.

Easy to check in,nice and helpful staff.free sauna,breakfast is not bad.near the central station .very convenient.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Great place to stay in Helsinki. Walkt to all the important places.
    • Comfort Twin Room

We had to leave after the first night. :) Only few on site parking lots (due to lack of space). Narrow entrance gate to parking lot - if your car is really wide, you might scrape your mirrors on the sides.

Small but really nice breakfast buffet - super coffee. Freshly renovated room. Huge smart TV. Sauna. Nice sitting area with "bring book, take book" bookshelves and bar. Late checkout without charge. Excellent quality towels, bathrobe, beds. Parking lot available on site.

Awesome price-quality place to stay in the middle of Helsinki!

Although my rating is "high", it's still a bit "plain". Finding a place to stop the car for check-in might be challenging. Also some common areas are left without attention that is given to rooms. And I'm not really that big fan of the room interior either. It's sort of nice, but for me a bit.. Hm, "not-for-my-taste", but that's of course entirely subjective matter!

Clearly there's some effort put in the rooms. Room followed a certain style and had some fancy details to give a special touch. Price for a location and quality was just awesome. Hilarious Spanish men sitting in cold sauna, not knowing the stove was of type that you should open. ;) And hey, Sauna was actually really good! All in all. I could easily recommend this place instead of most chain hotels nearby. (Yes, I've stayed in many of them. Really)

Enjoyable, stress free stay.

Would have appreciated the addition of a sheet for bedding. Doonas can be too hot.

Central location. Good breakfast. Quiet rooms. Friendly, helpful staff. Eco commitments.

Will come back again :)

Interior is amazing! Everything is in light colors, I had a big painting on the ceiling in my room :D Cool friendly staff, tasty breakfasts, I had no problems with public transportation, 'cause all the bus/tram station are very close to the hotel and Central Railway Station is about 7-10 min walking.

Great hotel in the center of Helsinki

I don't have anything to criticise.

The room was furnished nicely with Finnish design and the bed was extremely comfy. Everything was very clean. It was also great to notice that Hotel Helka emphasizes sustainability.

Great experience !

The room was pretty small but overall it was a nice experience.

Right in the city center only 3 minutes away from the main shopping center. The breakfast was very tasty as well.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

The washroom was a little bit too small. Maybe we would book a bigger room next time? This was not a big deal but might bother some people.

Great location. Lovely breakfast. Very accommodating hotel.

Good hotel near city center.

We were fortunate to have hot weather, and there was air conditioning in the room (in my experience it is not common in Finland), so we had a pleasant stay. There was excellent breakfast with wide variety of local and international food. The location is very near to the center, there is a tram stop about 100m away. Staff was very helpful. There is a sauna on the top floor for free.

Perfect Helsinki Hotel

Standing room might feel limited to those with big luggage. However we had enough room to pray.

A perfect city hotel- contemporary Art Deco rooms with the most professional staff. Actual room just like pictures. Positive messages plastered on walls, stationery, even mugs. Check in n check out were a breeze. Bed was so comfortable. Huge breakfast buffet and they allowed our young kids eat for free😘 10 mins walk from train station/ tram to pier market. Kamppi just 5 mins away has halal eateries. Made us want to come back to Helsinki just to stay here again. Affordable beautiful rooms for expensive city like this.

Saunas for guests were a welcomed inclusion.
    • Comfort Double Room

When we arrived in late afternoon, we were allocated a room that had not been cleaned following the departure of the previous guests. The room was not cleaned during the subsequent days of our visit either.

Saunas for guests were a welcomed inclusion.

Definitely come back again!

Nothing particular.

Conveniently located from Central Station at a reasonable price. Staffs were frienly in general and the breakfast was very good. Facilities are clean and well managed. It was impressive that every room has a paper bag for collecting trash papers for recycling.

A cute hotel not far from the centre.

The bathroom wasn't clean when I checked in. I also would have liked an electrical outlet closer to the bed.

The breakfast was simple, but very good. Suitable for both vegetarians and carnivores. Cute rooms with Finnish decorations. Not too far from the centre. Quiet neighborhood.

Too short.

If it had a swimming pool!!

The beds were super comfy and the room was thoughtfully and very stylishly designed. Great aesthetic. I loved the breakfast area and the range of food that was on offer.

price does not match with the quality

A bit far from the main attractions. When I arrived the hotel, my room was not prepared. There was no towel, tissue and soap in the room although the reception supposed that it was ready. Besides, the room was too small and near the elevator. You can hear all the voices on the corridor, which is not good either.

good breakfast

Comfortable stay

It would have been better if the provided shampoo and body shapoo had not contained SLS(sodium laureth sulfate). I couldn't use it and instead used my organic shampoo because SLS is a harmful substance.

I like its location and breakfast. The bed was comfortable and staffs were kind and helpful. Most of places are nearby and good to reach on foot. A computer and a printer is available in the lobby.

It was a lovely, clean and quirky hotel.

It was a bit far from the city centre, but if the weather is nice ( as it was for us) it was a nice walk to the centre.

The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly.

Modern cozy hotel!

- Really various, healthy breakfast! - Friendly staff - Daily room service (clean ur room) - Rooms with great interior design - In Kampi area, in the center; walking distances to public transportation

Comfortable stay

It would have been better if it had a minibar in a room.

It's close to many places but quiet. The breakfast had many healthy organic options including jam, cheese, soymilk and coffee. Most of the staffs were friendly and helpful.

Perfect. Now I want to learn Finnish and emigrate. I love the way the nouns decline.

We did not use a car so the question about parking is not relevant. Helsinki is a beautiful city and Hotel Helka was a short walk from many important sites and museums and monuments.

The hotel style is modern north-europe, the room was clean...
    • Economy Single Room

The hotel style is modern north-europe, the room was clean and efficient and nicely equipped, the breakfast was wonderful. I enjoyed a lot spending some days at Hotel Helka.

Friendly and helpful staff.
    • Comfort Double Room

the cleaning could be a bit better but it wasn't bad.

Friendly and helpful staff. in terms of facilities: comfortable bed, nice room decoration, good quality toiletries, balcony, excellent breakfast, well connected location, sauna.

Comfortable to stay in Helsinki.

Couldn’t find restaurant close here. But should be somewhere.

Very comfortable to stay there. Nice design room, fantastic breakfast, and very clean bath room.

Very good city hotel

Rooms are on the small side (clear at reservation time), and bathroom is really small.

Good location, nice renovated rooms, very good shampoo and shower gel, comfortable bed, great design and functionality

Great location and breakfast
    • Comfort Double Room

The sewer under the bathroom sink did not work properly when we kept water running for a bit longer time. This was not a nice surprise (but I have to mention that, luckily, this was not a problem in the shower). Our room was on the second floor which is apparently waiting to be renovated later this year, so I hope this issue will be fixed. In addition, the room was very cold when we arrived but this was easy to fix by adjusting the radiator. Despite these small issues, I would stay in this hotel again.

The breakfast buffet offered local and organic products, and my husband and I really enjoyed the wide selection of products during our 2-night stay. The atmosphere at the hotel was overall very nice and relaxed. We also found the room's bed very comfortable, and the room was clean. The bathroom products (shampoo and shower gel) seemed to be of high-quality.

In the city centre for reasonable price

Very close to the city centre (e.g. railway station), for exceptionally reasonable price. The receptionists were quite helpful when I asked about the sights in Helsinki (I also received a map). Extra thumbs up for the shower gel (smells really good) and smoked salmon at breakfast.

Would stay here again if visiting the same client as the location and price were both spot on.

The toilet/shower room was only just large enough - while the actual shower cubical was a good size, the basin and toilet were somewhat cramped. Not quite a problem, but an extra few centimetres would have been nice. There is an "ironing room" on the 5th floor, but it is a very small room with just one iron and ironing board - nothing else there (including there being nowhere to hang ironed shirts while you do multiple items). That said, they are happy to provide an iron and ironing board in your room so that worked out OK.

Very good location, short walk to the Metro and not far to the centre of the city. Great breakfast with lots to try and no messing around giving your room number - just find a table and get what you want to eat and drink. Room was a reasonable size, not huge but big enough for one person on their own. Plenty of desk space which was great.

To check in was amazingly easy and the bed really good
    • Economy Single Room

It was a bit confussing where to find the different things in the different places at breakfast. One buffet would make it better. An there were no knives or ketchup:)

To check in was amazingly easy and the bed really good

Great hotel, improve the breakfast and it'll be perfect

I think the only thing that didn't live to the high standards of the rest was the breakfast.

Pretty much everything was great! Location is great, really close to Kamppi. Being able to do my check-in earlier was very important for me. The nature picture on the ceiling above the bed is a great idea.

Location is very good.

Small bathroom, no shower set, no bathrobe, no slippers, no safe, no mini-bar. For 4* this hotel is too unpretentious.

Location is very good. Nice breakfast.

Entirely satisfactory

Nothing to report

The Helka Hotel provided all the services I required. I made particular use of the baggage rooms on two occasions. I didn't use wi-fi. Many of the bedrooms are being refurbished, so past comments if any may no longer be relevant. I think mine was one of the refurbished rooms.

I recently stayed at Helka for one weeknight, as part of a...

I recently stayed at Helka for one weeknight, as part of a multi-day trip to Helsinki, where I spent nights in other hotels. Helka was hands-down my best stay of the lot. Staff was friendly and efficient upon check-in. My (twin bed) room was clean and well-appointed. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small (distance between the sink and the toilet extremely tight), but it was balanced by some very nice touches, such as a towel warmer and premium spa products. Breakfast was well-stocked despite being busy, with ample selection. In short, Hotel Helka has the feel of a boutique hotel, at an affordable price. Highly recommend!

Great value for money with excellent location for Central Helsinki

Long waiting times for the lift, ended up using the stairs alot. Fine for me, but might not be for others. Bathroom a little on the small side.

Very good hotel which I'm sure will be even better once the current refurbishment is completed. Work didn't affect me. I'll definitely look to stay here again on my next visit.

Very warm and friendly feeling - like a boutique hotel at a budget price.

Staff were the perfect combination of friendly, efficient and helpful. Upon arrival, we had scarcely a moment before we had to hop in a cab for our first appointment, but sandwiches were ready to grab from a niche directly across from the registration desk, and I had only to mention my room number! Upon departure, which was also hurried, they directed me to the baggage storage right away. Somehow I left a pair of trousers in the closet, which I didn't realize till the following day, but they located them and arranged to send them back home. Next time I hope to have a spare moment to visit the sixth floor sauna which they were also sure to mention when we arrived.

Comfortable and conveniently located, just a 10 min walk...

Comfortable and conveniently located, just a 10 min walk from the railway station. Automated check-in which was fast and worked really well. Excellent breakfast as well.

Fantastic interior architecture,friendly staff,comfortable...

Water is leaking from shower cabinet,no additional towel available for ground,toilet is way to small (single room) Awful breakfast,cheeses are not tasty,breads are not fresh,toaster machine works very slow.

Fantastic interior architecture,friendly staff,comfortable bed,amazing location

When we come back we will choose Helka again !!

Location - a few mins walk from the central station where the airport buses drop off Easy walk to all main sights Good breakfast buffet Nice bar - good Finnish beer on tap! Spacious room - nice and quiet Good shower

While not the cheapest, this was good for a European capital city.

Curiously while breakfast was generally good, they don't seem to provide fruit juice.

All the room and human service facilities were excellent. No more comment is necessary

Amazing Helka!

It would be nice to add a shoehorn in the wardrobe

Stayed together with my mother, location was great. Quiet street, 5 minutes walk from the bus terminal and metro. Rooms are clean, fresh linen, quality amenities in the bathroom. Room has a kettle, tea and coffee. Great design! Especially hotel info as newspaper and mugs. Wonderful breakfast, with watermelons and fish! Thank you!

The best possible base for exploring Helsinki

Perfection! Don’t change ANYTHING!

« Spend the night with Alvar Aalto » they propose to you when you get into the room. And yes! The place is furnished i💯 % with beautiful modern Finnish design. The location is sensational. Europe’s history of architecture is only a stone throw away. The staff is sweet. The breakfast resolutely leaves the beaten track of “international” plastic food with blueberry soup, two types of local porridge, excellent coffee - you name it, they got it!

It is a nice place to stay. For sure there are better rooms than the one we stayed this time.

The room was not so big as the other ones on the 3 times we have stayed there in the past. We missed the hangers for big coats; we missed appropriated support for big bags and some other small details.

Location and breakfast

Love the breakfast spread, with options for those on special...

The room and bathroom are kind of small, but I guess that's what you'd expect in a big city

Love the breakfast spread, with options for those on special diets. Finally, a hotel with firm mattresses! Good location, with the rock church just round the corner and the main shopping streets just across the road

Nice stay
    • Comfort Single Room

I had the last room at the end of the corridor and the room was a little cold.

Modern, clean room. Good breakfast, good price on booking.com. Very good toiletteries.

Good.

Rather oddly, a bottle of cleaning product was left in my bathroom on two occasions for no apparent reason. Nice renovation of the rooms, but it left a strong smell of paint in the room when I checked in.

Excellent variety for breakfast. Friends and visitors of guests are also allowed to join breakfast (for a fee).

Relax in Helsinki

In my roon the basin was a bit too small (it looked like a basin in the toilet, it is not really convenient to use it to wash hands) It i not really a drawback - Automatic check in didn't worked with me, hope next time it will!

Perfect tasty breakfast, high quality of equipmetn, tidiness They even have a special ironing room! Amazing TV with big screen Comfortable beds and pillows, nice pieces of modern art everywhere Traditional modern finnish design in every detail!

+ location

- hard to find a free table at Sunday morning breakfast (many people, few tables) - outdated elevators - corridors need renovation

+ location + nicely renovated room + staff + bar + comfortable bed + clean room + good breakfast

Amazing breakfast and very friendly staff.

The wifi wasn't working properly all the time, and signal on 6 floor was not very good.

Amazing breakfast and very friendly staff. Very close to Kamppi and also to the rail central station.

Friendly staff, good location near the train station.
    • Comfort Single Room

There were no special problems. In some places I found one of the cleaning women's hair and the hanger in the cupboard must be screwed.

Friendly staff, good location near the train station. Nearby there are several restaurants and a metro station. There was a self-service terminal for check-in and check-out.

The fastest check-in and check-out, kind and helpful staff,...

A bit small bathrooms, low water pressure.

The fastest check-in and check-out, kind and helpful staff, good breakfast, room! The receptionist was very nice, she has helped us a lot. We loved the design of the guest's information folder in our room - a newspaper.

Would definitely stay here again

Good choice of food for Breakfast. Smart TV in room. Free Sauna on top floor. Good location, near several bars and restaurants. Staff were really friendly.

A very cozy room!

Expensive (though for Helsinki this might be a normal price for this location and the hotel quality)

A very cozy room! A great comfortable bed, nice and unusual accessories in the room design, fruit and berries for breakfast. Though the normal check-in time is 2 pm, it was great that we could check in early in the morning (8 am). The location is very good (10 min on foot to get to the central railway station, the bus station, and the shopping malls, the main places of interest can be quickly reached on foot).

The location is very good and the stuff is friendly and...
    • Comfort Single Room

I wish there were more fruit for breakfast. Reading the reviews I expected more from the breakfast, but nothing different from other hotels.

The location is very good and the stuff is friendly and helpful. The room was quite spacious and quiet. The later check-out option is brilliant!

Comfortable and would definitely stay there again

I got a room upgrade for the same price. Staff was very friendly, facilities very good, rooms very comfortable. Sauna was also nice and very welcoming, specially in winter. Lots of organic products in Breakfast buffet and natural cosmetic products in the room.

Browse Hotel Helka traveller photo gallery