Reviews of Hostel Domus Academica

Hietaniemenkatu 14, Eteläinen Suurpiiri, 00100 Helsinki, Finland

#102 of 169 hotels in Helsinki

Based on 4013 hostel reviews

• Economy Twin Room

The reception is in one building, I stayed in another building (that I could not find at first...), breakfast is yet in another building, sauna is in the fourth building. Also, my building had weird electric keys and the first receptionist did not explain how they worked. When I returned, his female colleague was super helpful and explained how the keys work.

Friendly and very helpful staff at the reception and also in the restaurant.

• Economy Twin Room

no kettle in the room, and no detergent and sponge in the kitchenette to wash dishes

spacious double room, spacious bathroom, fast wifi, friendly and very helpful staff

• Economy Twin Room

The room had not been cleaned when I arrived. I could not get another room as the hostel was fully booked (and I arrived late so the cleaning service had already gone). The staff made sure that my room was cleaned the next day but even then it was really done in a hurry and it wasn’t actually clean. There were no real curtains so I slept badly for 3 nights as it does not get dark in Helsinki in June. This is one of the few cheaper accommodations in Helsinki but I will rather pay more next time than stay at this hostel again.

Big room with table and desk. Good location.

• Economy Twin Room

- No towels in the kitchen to dry cleaned dishes - it was not possible to clean dishes in your room, you always have to go down (why then have dishes in the room?) - the rooms were smelly - old/wet - I loved that it said that towels were included. Yet, you should know that this includes exactly one towel per person. No additional towe for hair, hands or simply the dishes. When asking about that, the staff got really defensive which spoiled my experience a bit. - you need to leave your key at the reception whenever you leave - the building and entrance looks really shady and not at all welcoming

- clean and comfy beds - very clean shower! - you could cook in your room - it almost felt like a small apartment - close to the beach (10 min walk)

• Economy Twin Room

No kettle in room to make coffee - no toiletries.

Location is excellent and staff are very friendly. Rooms are basic . No toiletries including toilet paper are supplied. No kettle in the room.

• Bed in 3-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Key did not always work Late one night We had to evacuate for a fire false alarm Small kitchenette with nothing to cook with

Location close to city Reception staff were very very helpful We had a lift in the building Breakfast

• Bed in 2-Bed Female Dormitory Room

It is not located exactly in city centre but it's still good. A bit pricy.

The dorm room is just for 2 persons. You don't have to complete with others for toilets. Room is so nice that it was even equipped with a small kitchen and utensils (tho no detergent provided) and tables for each person.

• Economy Twin Room

Facilities were disappointing. I chose one with a kitchenette but then discovered I had nothing I could cook in the oven with. One had to "borrow" sharp knives, pots pans etc (and there were none without handles so would not fit in the oven) from the common room downstairs, where also one had to wash them up. This meant that I could not cook what I would have done, and so I had paid for facilities I could not use. It also meant many trips up and down to the crowded common/cooking/tv room. My bathroom was never cleaned in the 7 nights I was there; the "air conditioning" made the place stuffy and hot, it felt like 30 degrees rather than 20 and the pillow was dreadful. (go to IKEA for a reasonably priced one)

Location is good

• Economy Twin Room

Could have added instruction for visitors arriving by air and wish to take public transport to the hostel using same train ticket.

Near central train station, 8 and 5 mins walk from subway and tram station respectively, easy access to city attractions; affordable room tariff, clean and helpful staff. Cooking facilities are adequate to cook simple meals.

• Economy Twin Room

a kettle would have been nice

The location close to the city center, the room was quite spacious, there's a fridge in the room, WiFi worked perfectly, it was quiet, good value for money

Bad smell in the corridor. Staff is competent but this hostel is so big with so many customers at the same time, that contact is neutral or cold.

Clean room in Helsinki for a reasonable price (where everything else is so expensibe).

• Economy Triple Room

We were exhausted when we arrived and got to our room only to discover that there were no kitchenware supplies in the room. We had to go three buildings over to get kitchenware. The laundry needed cleaning and the dryers are in need of vent cleaning. Only one of three dryers seemed to work at all. The washing only took a half hour but we were in the laundry in an attempt to get clothes dried for a total of three hours. The benefit was that we could converse with young people visiting Helsinki and staying at the hostel.

Our room for three was very spacious. Nice size bathroom and shower. The location is great and we walked the entire time we were there except to get our luggage to and from the train station. The breakfast for 8.5 euros is a great bargain. All who stay should take advantage of this plus.

• Economy Twin Room

Didn’t have baby cot for free.

Have lifts to access the rooms which is wonderful for the baby stroller, have a fridge in the room which is very practical and the private bathroom was super clean.

• Economy Twin Room

It's an old house so the rooms are a bit worn out. There was also a funny smell in our room during our whole 4 day stay - maybe it was the sewer?

The hostel is located at the city centre so it's very easy to get everywhere. The staff was very helpfull and the kitchenette in the room is very handy.

• Economy Twin Room

Good hostel with amazing personal in 24/7. Room was clean and nice. Also, hostel provides a lot of tourist advises and free wi-fi and PCs.

• Economy Twin Room

Wifi is accessible but not so stable.

Communicative and friendly staff, good location (walkable to almost every famous sites!), simple but clean and commodious room with kitchen and fridge (therefore you can make your own meal), near the supermarket and CVS.

• Economy Triple Room

Slight stale cigarette smell despite being non-smoking Confusion about room capacity - has 3 single beds, but is listed on booking.com as 3 adults + 3 children. The children cost no more, but no extra beds are available when over 4 years old.

Location convenient to city centre but still quiet Own bathroom and cooking facilities plus communal kitchen Luggage storage available Good security (key needed to access to most areas) Big room with lots of storage space

• Economy Twin Room

No frills mean no room service. Hostel Cafeteria is also little far.

A self sustaining hostel room. Those who want to cook their own food will love it. No frills but all amenities make it a perfect stay.

• Economy Single Room

You can't open the window, just a little

The Location of the Hotel is very Good, you can just walk 15min. to the railway station. The room was not nice equipped, it was to empty, no pictures, no flair and a little bit dirty... it was like a hospital, but for one night is it ok. The breakfast was good.

• Economy Twin Room

If you miss any pots or water kettles, you can find in the common kitchen by the side of reception. If you need shampoo, you need to buy it in the market outside the hotel. But the hostel can provide you a small soap also.

• Bed in 2-Bed Female Dormitory Room

Zero “cozy feeling” since all the furniture is white and low quality.

It’s a solid option to sleep if you don’t have to spend time in the room, quite cheap for the location and options in Helsinki. Well located.

• Economy Twin Room

The room was hot in the evening and there was no fan.

The reception staff was extremely good. They were very helpful and had perfect solution for all our queries. We had a medical requirement, immediately they identify the nearby hospital and gave us all directions. We were able to loan all necessary utensils.

• Economy Twin Room

Really good location. I stayed at the Building A and I had my own bathroom and small kitchen. The kitchenware can be borrowed from the common kitchen. Staff is superfriendly! Thank you! I might be looking for more comfort, but the price for the service is OK.

• Economy Twin Room

Rooms are very stuffy. Pillows are terrible. The luggage room should be monitored better - access by staff or tags on bags.

Great location, excellent breakfast, kitchenware available for cooking in our rooms

• Economy Single Room

Room is kind of scary. what is worse is I don't know why I was asked to pay again even though I paid on booking.com before I went there. I insist I have paid it, so the staff finally let me check in. To be honest, I don't know what is wrong happened until now. He didn't give me a reasonable excuse why I am asked to pay again. I finally checked in after a long while. besides, I do have some pictures to show the room, but my phone is out of battery at the moment.

price is kind if nice.

• Economy Twin Room

If you are staying not in the main building, it might be a little hard to find your door right away, and need to pass through too many doors. Sometimes the key doesn’t work and you need to figure out which side to place it or try multiple times. Saw some other travelers confused with those keys. But that’s a very small thing comparing with the facilities you get for this price. Loved the overall experience staying at this hotel!

Private bathroom and incredibly clean room in a very city center of Helsinki with a great value for money overall. Super friendly staff, and awesome online registration system.

I was alone so I liked everything in your Hostel.

This is quite good place to spend one or two nights for the lonely voyager. It is good for me but if I travel with my wife I should book another place. Thank you, Booking.com!

• Economy Twin Room

Worth mentioning that you need a cable for the internet. The room was not cleaned properly but I guess was because we were at the end of the season.

The hotel is in a student dormitory so the rooms were simple but comfortable. Really helpful staff. Underground packing.

• Economy Twin Room

There was no wifi in our room (building A) without renting a router. Come on! Is this really a problem in the 21st century? Please make it available everywhere. I would gladly pay a bit more for a room just to avoid the hassle of renting and installing a router. (It was my fault for not checking whether wifi is available everywhere, not just in the lobby.) The toilet in the bathroom was kind of dirty. It was cleaned, but this was the kind of dirt that accumulates over months on the inner bottom part of the toilet. (It is not a nice image, I know.)

I liked that we were in a building separated from the main hostel. It had its own key. The receptionists were nice and helpful. Checking in was really fast, I could provide my data to the hostel before my travel. I had the option to store my luggage in a room next to reception before checking in. (We arrived in the morning.)

The room was dirty

The staff was friendly and accommodating, however, my room was quite dirty. There were dirty plates in the cupboard and a lot of grime on the floor and walls. The price to be honest was not worth the room. The location was quite good, however, I do not feel I would return there again.

• Economy Twin Room

There are kitchen, refrigerator, stove and sink in the room. Cooking is impossible, no cookware. There is no kettle. In short, an absolutely useless unequipped kitchen.

Convenient location, at 30 meters supermarket. Quiet cozy courtyard.

• Economy Twin Room

Well situated, at walking distance from the city centre, the railway station and other places of interest. Very friendly and helpfull staff. The rooms are basic but very spacious. No extra facilities in the room (television, shower gel, ... ) but we know this in advance and we don't really need this on a city trip.

• Economy Twin Room

I used Hostel Domus Academica as my base as I visited Helsinki and neighboring cities. I stayed 3 times in a 10 day period. Each time in a different building. Each room was well equipped, clean and very comfortable. Each room had a small kitchen with stove, and refrigerator. One had an oven. The room had cooking items but you could also borrow additional items from the main kitchen. In building B and C, I was able to connect to the main Wifi from my room., though it was a little weaker from C. In building A, I used a router. The internet was fast and reliable. What I liked most was the staff. They were extremely helpful and friendly in a genuine way.

• Economy Twin Room

For an expensive city like Helsinki staying here is the ideal thing: the rooms are self-sufficient and clean and the location is well connected by public transport.

• Economy Twin Room

Walking distance from main railway station, tram stops and city center. Quite close to the beach. Grocery shop K-market on the opposite side of the street. Room plain but clean, quiet and comfortable. Two single beds. In the kitchen part - basic stuff: mugs, plates and cutlery for two. Other stuff in common kitchen on ground floor.

• Economy Twin Room

We stayed at an apartment but there was nothing in the kitchen in our room. we had to get it ourselves from the public kitchen by the reception. new towels every 4'th day. we stayed 5 days but they refused to give us towels on the third day insted. so 4 days with the first towels and one day with the new ones.

We chose this place because it was the cheapest place on booking when we were looking. we didn't want a dorm so this was it.

You can leave luggage anytime, but the access to luggage room has pretty much anyone. You can in theory be a random guy and go there from a street and grab anything you want from that room and go away. Simple as that, it's not secured in any way therefore I wouldn't recommend leaving something expensive. My room was FULL of dark hairs - on a floor, on a bed and in bathroom. I have never seen anything like that in my entire life. They only changed sheets and bed prior to my visit, they didn't actually clean the room. Of course I told about it at reception and only to my luck (!!!) there was still a cleaning service in the building so they cleaned up my room after my complaint. Still bunch of hairs left in bathroom. Cups were in the sink and they were dirty (left by previous guests I guess, weren't cleaned up afterwards by workers of hostel), there was nothing I could use to wash them. No soap/shower gel in bathroom (you can take 1 at the reception if you lucky - by 6pm there was no shower gel, only soap left). Bed sheets weren't fresh - with yellow spots - disgusting. And I paid 55 eur for 1 night, I wouldn't call it fair price for what I got. This was my third time there actually, but it was the worst one. Previous were like 'ok, that should do', but this one - damn they didn't clean the room.

Personal is really nice, I had a single room with fridge and mini-kitchen, shower and toilet which was nice. Wi/Fi is good in the room on 6th floor. Bed was very comfortalble. Probably best location in city center.

• Economy Single Room

According to the website, the check-in time is 15:00. However, when I asked for the key, the staff said they were still cleaning it. The key was not given to me till 16:00.

Great staff! They were willing to help. Convenient equipment! I was able to cook in my room!

• Economy Twin Room

No free WiFi for all rooms

A nice place to stay; very close to everything in Helsinki. There is a common room with free WiFi, TV, microwave, cooker, etc. Staff is very friendly. Overall, I would highly recommend for people who want to enjoy the city.

• Economy Single Room

I stayed in A house that looked like a former hospital and it was quite a long and confusing way from the lobby to A house. The internet connection was very bad and the key did not always fit in the files. The room was clean but there was only one towel and no soap in the bathroom! Later I saw free soap in the lobby. If the lobby-staff were asked for assistance, they asked me, with insecurity, if I was a guest : /  My money is better spent in a slightly more expensive hotel.

• Economy Twin Room

Sauna is only available in the morning. Hostal has different buildings. Bathrooms could be cleaner. Bed is hard and very thin mattress. Very simple plane rooms. Not wifi in the room.

Staff is very helpful. Rooms are big. Great shower.

This hostel is the perfect place to crash. Located close to the station but on a nice quiet street, I found it was an easy walk to pretty much everything I wanted to do. It's not luxurious but it has everything you need and the self-catering facilities are really helpful in a city that can be pretty expensive.

• Economy Single Room

The layout of the bathroom is a bit weird. It's not that small, but due to the layout there's hardly any room to take a shower. It didn't felt that clean in the room. But overall this is mostly nitpicking because it's quite good for a hostel.

Very friendly and open staff. Spacious room with basically everything you need. The bed was very comfortable. The view from the room was good. And even though this is a hostel with a lot of younger people coming in late, the rooms are very silent.

• Economy Twin Room

The photos in Booking are really different from the real. Even we changed our room once from one isolated and far-away building to the main one, we did not find the same room as the photos shown on Booking. The rooms we stayed are smaller and the facility was not good as the photos shows. Pay attention, a lot of rooms are located in the isolated and far-away building, you should walk at least 5 mins from the main building. When we arrived, we took a long time to find it. And, hot water, pots, dishes are only available on the main building.

The Sauna was good but why for female is only in the very early morning!

• Bed in 2-Bed Male Dormitory Room

1. live in other building(no free WIFI) a little far from main building(with free WIFI) 2.a little far from train station, but could walk to get (about 20mins)

there are supermarkets in front of the hostel nice staff

• Bed in 2-Bed Male Dormitory Room

The facilities felt outdated and could be cleaner. There is no wastebin in the room, so you must take any trash to the main building.

The acclamations were the best value for the location.

Little bit noisy outside. Also the wifi doesn't reach the rooms so you either need to bring a router or pay 5 euro for one in your room.

Good location, nice that there is a kitchen and bathroom in every room

• Economy Twin Room

No heating, very cold room although we asked for extra heat, No hairdryer although it says you can borrow one, no clean towels, no face towels, no shampoo, no room cleaning, very expensive when you ask for it, a nightmare stay at an awful hostel..

Soft bed

Wi-fi signal was weak and irregular on 7-th floor

Friendly and helpful stuff. 24-hours reception. 1-5 min walk to supermarkets, metro, trams, buses. 10-15 min walk to city center

Nothing springs to mind!

The price per night was relatively good considering the location (approximately 15 minutes away from Helsinki Central railway station on foot). The beds were also exceptionally comfortable.

• Economy Twin Room

The cleanliness of the room could certainly have been better.

The price per night was relatively good considering the location (approximately 15 minutes away from Helsinki Central railway station on foot). There is also a small supermarket (K-Market) across the street.

• Economy Twin Room

Very spacious accommodation, own kitchen and bathroom. Within walking distance of railway station, main bus station and market square. A bit further to ferries but still covenient.

• Economy Twin Room

Unpleasantly sticky and dirty surfaces. Don't look under the bed while trying to find the plug socket! Lack of soap and shampoo - not made clear that these were not provided. If kitchen facilities are advertised in the room (another reason for booking) then sufficient, clean equipment should be provided.

Central enough location. Comfortable beds. A cheaper option in a city with high hotel prices, which was the reason for choosing it.

• Economy Twin Room

The hostel and the rooms have the charm of a hospital or a prison . . . heavy metal doors, many locks, no decorations.

I liked the bed, the bedsheets, the reception, the living area, the location

• Economy Twin Room

The floor in room was a little bit cold. No soap in bathroom. No available hair dryer in reception.

The room was good. No sounds from hallway. Beds were really comfortable. We had very good sleep there.

• Economy Single Room - Annex

Fridge freezer in this year's room very noisy In block C it's the old style Abloy lock for which you have to hand in your key, most nights getting it back was no problem but if check-in was busy it could take a while. Beneath the cover sheet matress was shabby and stained - block B has always been immaculate

Super friendly staff, good sauna, excellent breakfasts, nice to have stove and fridge in room

• Economy Triple Room

As it is a hostel I needed to adapt to have a simple functional room. I did not dislike anything.

I liked the friendly staff and quick check in/out. They were very supportive to me and other guests. Fluent in many languages. I like that the hotel is not far from the main attractions and easy to walk to/from.

• Bed in 3-Bed Female Dormitory Room

There are some buildings to stay so you may need to walk to the building which has a front desk or kitchen. Wifi in the lobby was not good enough sometimes..

You can use sauna! Staff are all friendly and kind.

• Economy Twin Room

Luggage room wasn't locked when we left our bags there the last day. No issues, but made me hesitate.

We had a big private room. The complex is very large and feels more like an apartment building than a hostel. The venue also has a sauna (7-8:30am for women, 8:30-10am for men). Close to a few restaurants and pubs, as well as metro.

• Economy Twin Room

Good location near centeral railway station and main sightseeings! Kind and helpful staff! Free sauna, comfortable kitchen, computers,TV,books in place of common use. Nice clean territory, thank you!

• Economy Triple Room

The bathroom was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen except on an airplane The sink was actually in the shower area. The floor flooded when the shower was used (there was a squeegee provided to push the water to the drain in the floor).

Good location, clean, friendly staff and knowledgeable about the area

• Economy Twin Room

We only stayed here one night, central location, walking distance to the train station. Next to a few supermarkets. Can walk pretty much anywhere in the city. The room was clean and pretty big. Even though we didn't use it, it had a kitchenette that can be convenient for larger groups/families.

• Economy Twin Room

not living in the main building caused a bit inconveneince, the shared kitchen is small, no dish detergent and kitchen towel in the room

very very very spacious room, lots of wardrobes, soft bed and pillow, clean bathroom, internet area, easy luggage storage

- no water boiler or single pot or pan in the kitchen, so the full kitchen space was not much use to us - no coffee making possibility in the room - was not very clean, floors and walls were quite dirty, you could see that someone had thrown some liquid (beer, juice?) to the wall and it had dried there - quite worn and used look and feel of the whole room - considering the price we expected more

+ rooms had a lot of space + comfortable beds + it had a full kitchen space + reception staff was helpful - they directed us to a free parking area

• Economy Twin Room

We had a room at building c and it was very dirty. They just clean over not deeply. We were hearing noises all night long, like wind blowing into our room. Our room was on the 7th floor. The bathroom was very small and the shower was separated with a curtain. For the price paid, the quality was very low, in spite of the high prices in the city

The breakfast

• Economy Twin Room

Wifi only in the lobby (or in some rooms in block C if you are lucky). There are two locks on the door, so you might spend some time figuring the right combination if you tend to mess with you door locks =)

Great location near the central transportation hub. Free locker room to store your baggage; just don’t put it in the far corner, because the room can be packed with the luggage up to the brim. Convenient way to leave your key at the counter.

• Economy Twin Room

shower space a bit small one bed was slanted on one side

clean room, friendly staff and common kitchen has cooking utensils you are free to bring up to your room and return them later on. quiet residential area of Helsinki near the center

• Economy Single Room

I personally felt shortage of personnel working in the front office, especially at the time when lots of guests would be arriving there. In my case, there was a looooong line waiting for the front clerk. Also, some clerks could kindly inform all their services they provide to guests, but others could only tell limited, primitive services. Actually, the accomodation has a Finnish Sauna but I was not informed. I found it by sneakily listening conversations between a worker and a guest:)

Compared to my background as a Japanese, all facilities the accomodation have are quite wide and efficiently built for college student to live in. I am sure to say that almost all asian people would like it because of its wideness and comfortability as well as its location.

The room wasn't very clean - food and crumbs in the bin drawer and the room corners were dirty and dusty. Room D203 was noisy. It was over the main entrance and opposite a night club. We could hear people talking until the early hours of the morning.

Value for money. Staff were great - helpful and friendly. Great to have access to the computers and a printer.

• Economy Triple Room

It was dusty under the beds and the fridge had not been cleaned after the previous guests. The internet is available only at an additional cost. No soap in the bathroom.

the toilet and shower in the room, the kitchen

• Bed in 2-Bed Female Dormitory Room

When I arrived in the room, my bed was not properly made: sheets were clean, but lower sheet was not covering the mattress properly, but just put on top of it. When I asked at the reception if this could be fixed, the female receptionist said "No, the cleaner has gone home. You make it yourself and then it will be ok.", and so I had to fix the bed myself, which I found difficult as I have a wrist tendon injury, but I didn't want to end up sleeping on naked mattress during the night. I expected better for 40 euros a night. Also, drawer of night table was full of paper trash left by previous user. No Wi-Fi in room. No night light near bed, so if other person is sleeping, you have to turn on main light.

Location, sauna

• Economy Twin Room

Very worn out furniture, scratched desks and floor. At first I thought it was dirty, but then realised it was clean but worn out.

Very good location, good breakfast, sauna. Kind staff, very helpful in explaining how to get there.

• Economy Twin Room

- it wasn't clean (there was a juice cork under the bed when we arrived, dust and greasy sink) - bad smell in the room - no soap in bathroom

- very good parking - friendly & professional staff - good location - very good breakfast in clean, modern restaurant

• Economy Twin Room

A small TV could have been there. at a price

the peace and quiet on our floor...the comfort in the room/toilet....the ease with which we could arrange our meals....aand above all...the extra NICE workersw all over the hostel....helpful. friendly and smiling always

• Economy Twin Room

The kitchenette wasn't equipped (there were just a couple of things) and the oven wasn't super clean, but it was ok anyway.

Comfy beds and good location. The staff was nice. Kitchenettes in the bedrooms :)

Browse Hostel Domus Academica traveller photo gallery