Reviews of Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort - Igloos and Chalets This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Kakslauttanen, 99890 Saariselka, Finland

#27 of 53 hotels in Saariselka

4.8

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: November 17, 2018

Survival of the fittest

Nobody seems to be in charge here. A bunch of pleasant backpacker-types run the place but don’t expect to be offered any information. Ask about everything and always ask more than one staff member as they give differing viewpoints. They are all nice but no one cares. Was mislead/forgotten/given wrong information on more than one occasion. Walking 15 minutes to the main building on slippery bumpy icy roads and ramps and stairs with no gravel, no signs and very few handrails four times a day was frankly terrifying- wouldn’t recommend coming here if you are old or at all unsteady on your feet. Because of previous travels I turned up in my Cuban-heeled leather ‘dress boots’ expecting to be able to hire shoes as advertised on the website (had even sent our sizes through early as suggested) only to be told they don’t hire out boots but I could take a bus (they would give me a lift to near the highway after which I should make my own way there and back) to the local town to hire some if I wanted, which would have taken many hours out of my three day stay so I didn’t go. On check-out I noticed a room full of clothing and asked again - this time the person behind the counter informed me that they do hire out boots! Too late, my shoes were ruined - at least I managed to not break my neck slipping around in them for three days. Could write a whole chapter of stories like that, it got so ridiculous that we were laughing continuously at the outrageous ‘service’. This included my anaphylactic son still being served nuts on our third day, in spite of it being a quiet period with fewer guests, of our reminding the table waiter 5 minutes before and having a waitress who had served us the previous night! Be alert as you are basically on your own at this place.

Very pretty, plenty of very nice, happy people around.

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

Value depends on your luck
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Had to carry my own luggage and walk on ice to glass igloo.

Glass igloo will be lovely if northern lights appeared. Unfortunately for me, it was a cloudy night

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

It was an experience brought about by nature,not by the resort
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

I really expected more for the price. Food was just average. There was no convenience/drug store for over the counter medicines,there were not enough signs (e.g.where the bathroom was,directions to go to your room or to the gallery,not enough lights when walking at night,paper cups in a €500/night room? Really?

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

A wonderful stay would like to experience it again during winter
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

A bigger WC could be better

Glass igloo was the foremost attraction to the place, the art gallery and the tower where you can see all around the property

• Reviewed: November 5, 2018

Location Location - but do your research and find another accommodation option
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

Everything was at a cost and prices were extortionate! Our stay was compulsory half board which is fair enough. However, for dinner there was only one option on offer. At $1250 a night I would expect at least 3 options to choose from. The Steak option was awful. Feeding Australians steak is always a bit risky as we know good Steak when we see it. The quality of the steak on our plate was terrible. We would be ashamed to feed it to our dogs.

The location is unbelievable. Nature at its best and so remote. The Kelo Igloo/Cabin was spacious and the igloo bedroom was something we will never forget

• Reviewed: November 2, 2018

Winter wonderland
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

I feel that for the money and the fact that the resort is in the middle of nowhere there should be a free pick up/drop off service to the airport. This is charged at €30 per person each way which I feel is over priced. The bus from the airport is only €12 per person and drops you right outside the easy village. We were staying in the west village but the resort will drop you at this bus stop free of charge. The resort should make more effort to be christmassy! We visited on the 31st October and while I understand that this isn’t peak season for them, the fact that they have Santa’s house here and reindeer- I think they should make more of that. I am glad I didn’t bring children with me as I feel that they would be bored after 5 minutes. There is a husky dog ride and you can meet them- also you can meet the reindeer (however these activities don’t start until 1st November) I would recommend that you book your trips online beforehand (maybe with an external company as they are very pricey here). Overall I am glad I visited here but I wouldn’t bring kids.

We stayed in an igloo at the resort and it was gorgeous! The northern lights didn’t come out unfortunately but it was still a magical place. The resort overall is very clean and the area is perfect. The food was included in the price we paid and it was a good 3 course evening meal. We had a layer of snow in the area and this makes the place look even more beautiful, lots of lovely walks to go on however not much else to do

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

Superlative stay in the hearth of Lapland

No deposit in cash

Everything was awesome, staff super friendly, food better than expected and mostly local products (wild mushrooms soup was great), glass igloos, sauna, sightseeing tour and location amazing! Only aurora missing but we can just blame the sky for that :D

• Reviewed: October 16, 2018

Good food, good staff, poor design
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

The resort didn’t appear to have any management presence and the young staff were left to deal with the issues that arose. Firstly the wifi didn’t work at all for the first 24 hours and despite several visits to reception to resolve we were brushed off with excuses until eventually we were moved to another igloo. This new one had a shattered window directly above the pillow on the bed and so there was no viewing. Reception just said it would be fixed eventually. We also found the room to be colder and again nothing was done after someone visited and checked. They just said the temperature gauge was broken and never returned to fix it. So another cold night for us. The igloos themselves have terrible design flaws with the frosting only providing privacy from some of the outside but allowing viewing directly into the igloo and bed. Also the tiny toilet space didn’t allow for a 6ft plus person to use it and the lighting cast a strong silhouette of the person using the toilet. This with huge gaps around the glass meant absolutely no privacy when using the bathroom. This design flaw continues in the showers that you use. - the changing room was communal and towels were not there forcing me to go on a hunt for a staff member in the cold and then the showers were facing each other with no curtains. I think prisoners have more privacy. The rooms were never serviced and so the bin fills up and the one hand towel you’re provided is not replaced for the duration. I think the telling part is that upon checkout there was only a question of paying the bill. No questions about “how was your stay?” This is a standard question at every hotel. Seems like they get you in and get you out and don’t want to know about improve or customer experience. To me that’s very poor management

The young international staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome. We had half board and the buffet breakfast was nice but it was the dinner that really provided a treat. Each of the three courses were delicious and unique and included reindeer meat one evening. Whilst we didn’t see the northern lights the location and glass igloo provided the best opportunity had they been visible during our stay

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

yes, it's a long way to travel for a long weekend; however, I'd do it again in a heartbeat
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

A once in a life time experience, 'living' and walking in the forest was fabulous with the added bonus of a clear sky and the Arora Borealis light show.

• Reviewed: October 13, 2018

Very nice resort in arctic circle
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

The location is far away from airport and downtown(small town) but it is worth going!

We stayed in west village in Kelo-igloo and glass-igloo for one night each. Glass-igloo is typically beautiful in appearance but not so comfortable to stay inside. Kelo-igloo is really surprisingly WOW and comfortable to stay. The food inside the resort is quite nice. They also have many interesting activities in day time so that you won't get bored except chasing Northern light at night. This resort is still getting advance and by my experience, it has a good owner to take care with.

• Reviewed: October 12, 2018

Awesome, Magnificent
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

There was nothing we didn't like, we liked Everything.

This place was magnificent and made us feel like we were at a home away from home, we met with the person who started this facility and he was a very humble man. Jussi was such a nice Gentleman and took time to speak to us and other people that were visiting his Resort. Such a beautiful place and I will be back with my Son and Daughter next year. The Staff were all so friendly and helpful, it is a credit to the Finnish people with the level of professionalism and respect they have for everyone that stayed at the Village and for themselves and their colleagues. Well done Jussi you have a wonderful team at Kaklauttanen Arctic Resort Regards Stephen Brooks

Real Finnish Wilderness North experience under the Aurora lights
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Most of the staff seemed to be lacking a bit more of skills in their English level, and Customer Service. The English proficiency is specially for some of the Guides from the Activities. Also staff in general had no clue about the Aurora forecast for the nights, and they were giving no hope to the guests, I had to show them my Aurora app and Weather forecast to prove about the amazing aurora night that was about to happen next day. Also the female waiters had no idea what does a Gluten Free/Lactose Free diet means. I see Staff needs more training.

I like the big Reception/ Restaurant Hall. Buffet Breakfast has a few options available. A lot of activities that you can book/pay to do around the resort. Amazing experience to sleep in the Igloos while the Northern Lights are playing on the sky. Very friendly waiter from Dinning Hall, I remember he was from Macedonia, compliments to him who over exceeded my expectations and tailored my very difficult diet request. There is a lot of land that is walkable and safe, a gallery, museum, viewpoint tower, to name the main spots. You truly feel you are in the wild area but at the same time you feel safe in the nature.

• Reviewed: October 11, 2018

Lovely hideaway, kelo igloo made all the difference
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

WiFi only connected in room on my third night but works perfectly dining/reception area. The person who came helpfully fixed it within 10 min for us. We were given a number to call reception for any assistance but there was no phone in the room and without WiFi, roaming charges would have applied. Saving grace was that people at reception did their best to help. Aurora alert would have been great but was told service still being tested and is hoped to be ready late2018/early2019. The glass igloos looked better on picture — not sure if it would be better with snow. Intermittent drizzle when we were there late September but am told the light rain helps berries and mushrooms grow, adding to the place’s quiet allure. Some places were closed for upgrades/renovation, so it is worth checking ahead if something you really want to see is open if you are there during off peak periods.

We were upgraded from a 4 person glass igloo to a kelo igloo — which gives the best of both space of a log cabin (own sauna and bathroom) plus the half glass igloo area — great for 2 of us, good for 4 person as there is a double bed inside other than the two beds in the glass igloo area(can fit 5/6 if they don’t mind roughing it on bunk bed/sofa) The soft boiled eggs at breakfast were perfect, also enjoyed the fish in mustard. The 3-course dinners (included with room) were a delight, with pleasant server. The room was cleaned daily and there was complimentary hot cocoa (plus kettle, fridge, kitchenette) in the room. There is also a fireplace but room was warm enough for us in late-September. The place is expanding and was undergoing some upgrades for aurora alert and WiFi in cabin, so should be even better in future. Stayed for three nights but wished we stayed longer. Perfect place to hideaway and enjoy nature. The reception/dining area is about 5-10min stroll, depending where you are at. They help transport luggage to and from room, if you don’t want to carry them. They also had complimentary transfer to nearby bus station. Great that they picked us up from airport for small fee. Will definitely go back!

• Reviewed: October 11, 2018

Very nice place, could see the northern light in the room!

Very nice place, could see the northern light in the room! The only pity is that the room is a little bit small, no bath for the double room. But the public sauna is very comfortable. The dinner is just so so.

• Reviewed: October 6, 2018

The rough nature
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

It is just an money machine. The iglo’es are very small and if you wanted to go to the lobby for some change of scenary. It was very charmless and boring. You expect more when paying that much for so little... No facility were open. And the food was not something ti write home about.

The rough nature

• Reviewed: April 30, 2018

Greta facility and the service level improvements can bring up the resort to A+!
    • Small Chalet (4 Adults)

1. At the check in most of the additional activities ( of course more revenue to the hotel) was not sold very well. We met us some others who took part and started inquiring more to get the correct information. We booked 3 activities - Husky ride and snow mobile ( excellent) where as rain Deer Aurora hunting was an utter flop. Not worth at all. 2. Food at the restaurant could improve, Everyday breakfast menu was the same and dinner ( set menu) quality was poor. Quantity was sufficient. 3. Drop off at the bus stop- Last day we were dropped about 20-25 minutes earlier at the open bus stop (snowing and freezing). Not ideal ha!

The location is spectacular. Indeed it was an experience when we walked around the facility and the layout of the resort. We really like the facility and the privacy provided. This is life time experience.

• Reviewed: April 25, 2018

Absolutely breathtakingly amazing and unforgettable experience!!
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Nothing.Everything was amazing.The expeditions were a bit pricey and santas house wasn't open that day, but other than that everything was faultless.

The igloo was amazing and the view was even better! Didn't get to see the northern lights that night but the beautiful clear sky kept me awake! Stayed in the west village where they had santas house to!

• Reviewed: April 24, 2018

A once in a lifetime experience!
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Lack of availability of snow igloo after it being available on the website at the time of booking. Lack of availability of a reindeer safari, again despite being available at the time of booking.

Amazing location and experience sleeping in a glass igloo! Food was fantastic, staff very efficient and friendly. Husky safari was great fun!

• Reviewed: April 17, 2018

I read review before booking, many of them gave negative to...
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

I read review before booking, many of them gave negative to this hotel, but after I was stay for 2 night. It is not as in comment at all. Friendly Staff, great breakfast and dinner.

• Reviewed: April 16, 2018

It's not worth to such a high room rate
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

The door of the shower room can't be closed properly. Water came out of the room while taking bath.

the dinner meal and breakfast buffet were good.

• Reviewed: April 16, 2018

The Borealis was amazing. Huskies were awesome!
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

Choosing to stay at one of the Kelo Igloo Cabins meant there were a fair bit more trees around the cabin so the view from the glass igloo section was not clear had to go outside to see the lights properly. Check out process could have been better communicated.

Location is great for viewing the Northern Lights. We managed to see it at approximately 2am in the morning and this was available right outside our cabin. Food provided was great! Activities were organised well and the supplier had ample gear to make sure we weren't cold. Husky safari would be our most recommended activity.

• Reviewed: April 10, 2018

D design of igloo is nice.
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

D igloo is a bit hot n stuffy during daytime...

D design of igloo is nice.. d staffs is friendly n lovely.. they gv me a surprise birthday cake during d dinner.. Thks a lot!

• Reviewed: April 10, 2018

Overall it was a nice experience
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

There is no shower in the igloo, no phone to call the reception, and most importantly there is no room service to clean up. There was a lot of ants in the room which was annoying. There is no bell that rings to inform you that the Aurora are out rather we gave our private phone numbers to the reception to call us if the lights appear which isn't very professional. For the money you are paying you would expect a better service in terms of the room's facilities and the cleaning.

The staff were friendly, the igloo was nicely heated, and the restaurant is really nice and cosy

• Reviewed: April 8, 2018

An amazing experience in every way! Unfortunately we had too much snow to see the Northern lights.
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

The glass igloo section of the kelo igloo cabin was extremely hot to sleep in. The bathrooms had very little storage space, but a good shower!

Staff were friendly and helpful. The food was good and service good too! The Kelo igloo was spacious, clean and exactly as advertised. Scenery was beautiful and it is certainly a unique and amazing experience!

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

Recommend hotel and would stay again
    • Standard Chalet (2 Adults)

Hotel took care of all transfers and activities, good communication before and during stay, cabin was very clean, breakfast and dinner included and very good. Friendly staff, remote location but we knew this when we booked.

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

Amazing facilities staying in West Village in a Kelo Igloo.
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

Only recommendation would be for bigger and fluffier bath towels!

Everything exceeded expectations, the food was quality, staff where great, location was amazing, activities where amazing. Great place. Would love to return and highly recommend.

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

Resort is in a great location and as I had seen in pictures.
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

I think the resort is outstanding but its little pricey for what they offer. Further given that the resort is in middle of no where I was a bit surprised that they charge for an airport transfer especially after paying EUR 600 for 1 night.

Resort is in a great location and as I had seen in pictures. Lived up to my expectation. Staff were friendly. Full marks for Cleanliness.

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

Loved the cabins, igloos were not for us - overall a great stay
    • Standard Chalet (2 Adults)

Glass igloos were terribly hot in the night time and their shared bathrooms were a bit uncomfortable (the morning/evening walk in the freezing cold and facilities were very basic and communal (no door)). They also need to grit the public roads better as we saw multiple injuries on the icy road on the way to breakfast

Great service and fantastic excursions - food selection at breakfast and dinner was very good. Log cabins were fantastic - would return for these. Everyone of the staff were fantastic

Unbelieveb
    • Large Chalet (5 Adults)

We are not lucky, we can not see the aurora.

The dinner is every good in every night we eat. From the appetizer until the dessert is good. It is worth it. Beside that, we get the house with the good view.

Beautiful!
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

There is no hair dryer in the room, they are available in sauna in which you have to walk over there. Not convenient tho

The glass igloo is amazing as we expected. Staffs are very nice and helpful. We had a great time there.

• Reviewed: April 1, 2018

Perfect way to experience the arctic forest
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Wish there was WIFI in the igloos. If you do stay in the igloos, be comfortable to use communal showers.

Perfect way to experience the arctic forest; really enjoyed staying in the glass igloo. Stayed in the East Village. The beds were comfortable and breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: March 31, 2018

Amazing experience with the glass igloo, great location and...
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Glass igloo room alone is not worth the price - nearly 1400 euro for 2 nights when it’s just a bed and toilet. They charge a lot for everything- for that price would expect a bit more. The kelp cabin was around 200 more a night but 10 times better - getting the igloo and the log cabin, own bathroom and sauna. No one tells you this on the sites it should be clearer. The activities are very expensive- but really have to do it to get full experience. Just have a decent budget going. Oh and a 2 hr ride normally means one by the time they get everyone ready and out so keep in mind also. The huskys were great fun, reindeer could be better - but again was still great trip

Amazing experience with the glass igloo, great location and a once in lifetime trip

• Reviewed: March 31, 2018

The Chalets is a must stay
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

The igloos are not worth the price - kindly do not stay or only stay to tick off bucket list.

We moved to the wooden chalet after the first night and it is a 10 on 10. Plus The staff, the restaurant, the activities are very good.

• Reviewed: March 31, 2018

Being told that I had only paid for 3 adults wherein the...
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

Being told that I had only paid for 3 adults wherein the room itself was advertised for 4 adults. When booking the room through booking.com there is no option to select the number of adults. You need to do this at the very first screen. Booking.com should make allowance to select the number of adults when making the actual booking

• Reviewed: March 30, 2018

Amazing!!
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

- our kelo (47)was very fair for the reception. - no phone no tv no wifi in the kelo - the activists was too expensive

-Overall amazing experiences -The activities was very nice and alot of fun -the check in and check out very quick and easy -the Kelo clean and nice -food in the restaurant was good

• Reviewed: March 28, 2018

Beautiful place for a romantic get-away
    • Chalet (4 Adults)

The only issue we had was with being picked up from the airport. We tried to schedule this in advance, with multiple emails, and never got a reply. When we landed, there was no one there which was a little stressful, but we called the front desk and were picked up within 20 minutes so everything turned out just fine.

Our stay was wonderful! The resort and surrounding area were absolutely beautiful, and all of the staff were friendly and helpful. I absolutely loved have a wood burning fire place and the sauna right in our room. It was a perfect romantic get-away, and nothing is better than waking up and having every day be a snow day! We did tons of activities but loved the dog sledding, ice fishing, and cross country skiing.

• Reviewed: March 27, 2018

Wonderful for the remote getaway, worth the experience!
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Staff were either poorly trained or rude. When paying the price for this hotel is understandable. The remote location and activities were wonderful. However the experience was spoiled when staff would be rude and unhelpful. Often giving attitude when asking questions. Food was okay.

Location. The dogs looked very happy and taken care of.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

good view
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

They takes ages to reply your email. authorized my debit card and the staff tell me it will be credited back in 3-4 days. month over and i haven’t received any updates or reply.

good view

• Reviewed: March 24, 2018

We got vegetarian options which was great.
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

We did not enjoy walking in minus 30 degrees from our igloo to restraunt and for reindeer safari etc..would have loved if some transport was provided..

We got vegetarian options which was great..

• Reviewed: March 22, 2018

Expensive with low added value...
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Verry expensive room for nothing! No service, no confort, no bathroom very old room (water was falling from the roof on us!!! Denitively not to recommend!!! We tried another glass igloo during our trip, with more friendly staff, modern cabin with shower,with charm and less expensive.

Nothing...

• Reviewed: March 21, 2018

Wow!
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

The showers in the igloo sauna block are communal, would have preferred individual cubicles for privacy.

Staying in a glass igloo in the East Village was a once in a lifetime experience. Beautiful accommodation with stunning views! Excellent breakfast and service from staff. Great being able to travel between the East and West villages via free transfer to explore and dine at the other site. Love the electronic beds in the igloo!

• Reviewed: March 18, 2018

Bucket list but overpriced given outdated amenities
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

However the room was not super clean, the facilities of the bedroom are quite basic and frankly outdated (90s). There were also 1 mattress and 1 portable bed on the path outside our igloo when we arrives (so random!). For the price of the night, I would expect those basic facilities to be top notch to be honest. Also, when we arrived we got to the wrong village (there are 2 villages) but we were not informed of which village our igloo was in! Overall disapppointing given the price!

The igloos are situated in a unique location and the possibility to admire the northern sky from the comfort of your bed is kind of priceless.

• Reviewed: March 15, 2018

Igloo was an experience, everyone should try at least once
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Didn’t liked that we had to bring our luggage all the way from the igloo to the lobby in the snow. We were not informed that we can arrange for porter services. It was quite a distance and needed a good 15-20 mins to get there. After we got to the concierge, we asked the staff if the bus to Rovaniemi would arrive at the hotel, she said yes and we could just wait here. It was only upon asking her another time that we found out that the bus stop was along the main road, which was another 5 mins walk, luckily we managed to catch the bus. We thought the assistance could have been clearer.

Really enjoyed the experience staying in the glass igloo, however, the skies weren’t in our favor, it was cloudy and snowing, so we were not able to enjoy the night sky. It was comfy to be in although there were no shower facilities in the igloo.

• Reviewed: March 15, 2018

Not a bad experience, but once is enough.
    • Small Chalet (4 Adults)

It was quite a distance from the lobby to the log cabin and we had to bring our own luggage to the cabin thru the snow while other guests had theirs delivered to their rooms. I do wonder how the selection was made. There were a lot of ants in the cabin, big ones, but i reckon it is because logs were used?

I like how unique the log cabin was. The resort was pretty amazing, its peaceful and quiet. There was a sauna in the room, but we were too tired by the end of the day to use it. It was nice nonetheless. The cabin was very big, able to sleep 4, although there were only 2 of us.

• Reviewed: March 14, 2018

Wonderful place - even without the northern light

Absolutely nothing

Loved everything about this place. The Kelo Igloo, the restaurant and the food. The surroundings are beautiful and peaceful. The staff went above and beyond, and changed the cabin when we came (I didnt realize how huge the area was, and the distance to for instanse the restaurant)

• Reviewed: March 13, 2018

Athmosphere was so nice.
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

The staff was not really helpful. We pay such a lot money and there was no WiFi in the room. And the reception said as an excuse that this is because of you spent more time with your friend. He was thinking that he said something very funny but we did not laugh it. And the room was very small than our expectation.

Athmosphere was so nice.

• Reviewed: March 12, 2018

We enjoyed our stay very much including the attentiveness of...
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

We enjoyed our stay very much including the attentiveness of the front desk staff (we did see many other comments about how the front desk staff was rude - we found the exact opposite, the staff was kind and accommodating - top marks for the staff at the reception desk!!). We participated in 3 activities (horseback riding, dog sledding and snowmobiling) and every activity was exceptionally well run with great care given to ensure comfort and safety. The food was satisfactory for a set meal arrangement (not exceptional, but nothing to complain about). We had a vegan in our group and the restaurant was wonderfully accommodating to a vegan diet. We stayed in a Kelo (the log cabin with a glass atrium) and we loved it!! Cozy yet very functional and watching the northern lights from the comfort of the glass atrium was exceptional!! The décor in the Aurora restaurant in the west village does look a bit dated, but others in my group found it charming. However when you consider value for the money, the resort does not score as well as it could. It is very expensive, but missing the attention to small details (like hand soap missing in the restaurant's washroom for two days ...this should never happen). But for the cost, I would have given this resort a 5 star rating. I have not seen or stayed at other resorts in Lapland, so I can't compare services to the fees charged, but if cost is not a priority, then I would recommend this as a great place to stay!!

• Reviewed: March 12, 2018

Amazing! We would like to visit again.
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

Booking was a bit confusing at times but it all worked.

Outstanding rooms and other facilities. Very good food and drinks. Pleasant, helpful staff. Wifi worked well in reception/dining/bar areas. Amazing adventure!

• Reviewed: March 8, 2018

Excellent adventure for the adventurous!
    • Queen Suite

Booking was a bit confusing but it all worked.

Our Queen Cabin and Kelo Glass Igloo were amazing! Activities and Aurora Borealis were fantastic!! Food and drink were very good. Staff was friendly, pleasant and helpful. We would highly recommend Kakslauttanen Atrctic Resort and would love to return someday.

• Reviewed: March 3, 2018

Really enjoyed the stay - wonderful experience, especially aurora hunting by reindeer!
    • Small Chalet (4 Adults)

Cabin a little tired looking in places but very comfortable and warm and the private sauna was fab. Half board menu very restrictive, especially because I don’t eat dairy and cheese/cream featured heavily

Staff were lovely and thought the resort was great. We stayed at East Village which was quieter and suited us well. Easy to get transfer to West village and the art gallery is worth a look. Activities were fab - quite expensive but thought they were worth it.

• Reviewed: March 2, 2018

overpriced chance to experience beautiful environment
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

Given the cost, they are very stingy about things like providing shampoo or body lotion or slippers in the igloos, which have cold floors. The wine was overpriced and of very low quality, same for the cocktails in the bar. If you can, bring your own alcohol! Also you would think the igloos are romantic, but they aren't --- you get two single beds on wheels. As for the northern lights --- they "aurora hunting" isn't really aurora hunting since you do it by horse or reindeer and only cover a few hundred meters; so you aren't going to find someplace with better weather in case it is cloudy. There are other outfits that drive you a long way to see Aurora if necessary, but here you are stuck in place.

The staff were very accommodating. And the dog sledding was great fun.

• Reviewed: March 2, 2018

The property has a very distinctive idea.
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

There could be more arrangements to transfer the luggage to the igloos as cause of the snow event after the managements provides sledges it gets too tough to shift the luggage’s to the room.

The property has a very distinctive idea. You don’t really get a chance to sleep In a glass igloo gazing at the sky all night long. To stay here was pleasure and the experience was great. I would definitely recommend as once in a life time experience .

• Reviewed: March 1, 2018

• Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Do not forget to bring warm clothes to sleep, at nights it was a bit cold.

Staying in an igloo was one of the best experiences of my life. Watching sky from bed was amazing, especially while it was snowing. Igloos are very clean, there is a toilet inside but no bathroom. The staff was very helpful and kind. Around the resort was very calm and peaceful.

• Reviewed: February 28, 2018

Not worth the excessive costs.
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

Not worth the excessive costs. Northern lights not visible from the glass top igloo due to excessive lightings nearby which basiccally defeat the object. The cost for the igloo for one night is higher than the other 5 nights we paid for in the other hotels/ apartments.

• Reviewed: February 26, 2018

Once in a lifetime experience.. Expensive but worth it
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

We didn't see the Aurora but its not the resort's fault. The staff in the dinner (forgot to ask her name) advised us that they only serve medium rare steak.

The place is so wonderful. Take their free shuttle service to visit the East or West village, the view is very pretty. Staff were very nice and helpful especially Karen who accompanied us to the facilities nearby. The reception is just only 3 minutes walk from the public bus stop.

• Reviewed: February 25, 2018

Although not everything was perfect, but it didn’t affect our stay.
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

No WiFi in the room. The sink is too small. A long walk to the reception and restaurant. The door of the room was a bit difficult to open with the keys.

The room was big, warm and comfortable. The restaurant had delicious food. Liked the sauna in the room, and the decoration were very traditional. The kitchen was fully set.

• Reviewed: February 22, 2018

Reine Geldbeschaffung, Preis-Leistung stimmt überhaupt nicht!!!!!!
    • Large Chalet (6 Adults)

like I mentioned in my email to your resort, the family announced the fact to your staff that the Block-House, showed 16-17 degrees, when the family check in the Block House. The answer of your staff had been quit disinterested by just offering the litte basket of wood , certainly not free of charge!!!! As none of your colleagues showed any interest in assisting to heat up the Block house, the family started to by buscets of wood. You should verify that on their chargement, shown on their roomnumber!!!!! The fire place looks smaller than on the photos shown on your website, this is only one example. The main complain contains the situation of the cold block house and the additional cost for the wood. Second Complain is about splitting the family in two areas. In none of the confirmed reservations it is specified in which area the accommodation will be located. I didnt know that your resort is devided in an east and west village; Fact is that the Kelo-Glashouse and the Glasiglu are reserved and confirmed in one bookingnumber via booking.com -1850.788.451 for the period 22.2.-23.2.2018 and you splitted the family in one part to the east village and the other part to west village. On top of that you charge th family now EUR 11 for the baggage transfer in between your resort. In my 30 years experience in the travel industry, I have never expiranced such an atitude. I have the feeling that you try to charge the guest the better you can. The family and I are not accepting the argument that fuel costs are so high that you have to charge these service in addition. The costs for the 4 night stay in your resort is outstanding expensive. Not on your website neither on the reservation are advices about extra costs. Its really unbelievable that you offer fire places in your houses which can only be used when you pay for the firewood. In addition firewood can be only ordered once in a day after 03.00 Pm hrs; May I ask you, do you value your clients?

• Reviewed: February 22, 2018

Don’t book there!!!!!
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Anything, the service was terrible, I submitted a complain even before arrived and they didn’t do nothing at all. Not value at all for the amount of money you pay. Very extrange payment conditions. Is not a 5 stars hotel is more like a luxury camping. The room not meet my expectations and the food is quite nice but if you want something which is not in the menu they will charge extra money. I sent a complaint to the owner and he didn’t have the time to answer me. If you really want to have a nice holiday, don’t book there and save your money!!

Nothing at the hotel.

• Reviewed: February 19, 2018

We had a good stay but it feels like a ripoff. You pay for 5 stars for a 3 star experience...
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

When you book a Chalet with a fireplace at a luxury resort you expect youll be able to use that fireplace. Upon arrival we were told that for 35eur a staff member would come with some logs to light it for us. Additional wood also needs to be purchaced. Reading reviews ive seen a manager reply to complaints about this saying these additional costs are because a staffmember needs to come to your cabin with the wood and explain safety measures... I just paid 1000 EUR for a night in this cabin! Why dont you take it from there! The sauna also wasnt working properly but we made the best of it. When i casually mentioned this at check out the next morning, so they could fix it for the next guest, the only response i got was “Oh im sorry but i cant i cant do anything for you”. Thats not what I asked, but from their reaction and reading other reviews online I could see they must be asked for refunds all the time... We also got moldy bread at dinner which was replaced right away, but the new bread was dry and hard which is not the way its supposed to be. It was too cloudy for any aurora lights which ofcourse isnt their fault, but even if there would have been theres so much light polution from the cabin lights outside that we probably wouldnt have seen them anyway...

The location is beautiful.

• Reviewed: February 18, 2018

Breathtaking views!
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

After checking in, we got to our glass igloo and it was covered in icy snow - there was 0 visibility. Nobody had mentioned anything about it. About 45 minutes later, as we were heading back to reception to enquire about when our igloo will be de-iced, an employee appeared and started to clean the igloo next to ours and was obviously going down the line to do them all. That solved the problem, but we still felt like the igloo should have been cleaned before our arrival (especially because our arrival time was known) as it made for a confusing/bad first impression. The cleanliness inside the igloo was not great. We had two single beds, so we decided to push them together in the middle. This revealed a lot of dirt around the sides of the room. There was also A LOT of long hairs everywhere in the room including the bed. There were a couple of times when we wanted to use the communal sauna, but the opening times were only from about 17:00 to 22:00 if I remember correctly, so we couldn't make use of it due to our activity schedule.

The resort is in a great location - there is nothing around but snow and trees as far as you can see and it's very quiet and peaceful - perfect for nice walks. The view from the glass igloo is absolutely breathtaking!!! You definitely get the feeling like you are in a winter wonderland. Stargazing before bed is magical.. The activities provided were fun and the 2h options are just long enough when it's minus 35 celsius outside! We enjoyed the evening reindeer sledding and the afternoon husky safari very much. Unfortunately we didn't get to see any northern lights during reindeer sledding, but we did get to see two herds of wild reindeer while on the husky safari - it was like a scene from a nature documentary. If we had stayed there for more than one night, we would have definitely done the snowmobiling as well. The three course dinner that was included with our booking was great! There were also several options to choose from, so everyone could find something they enjoy. There is always free tea and coffee available. Staff were nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: February 15, 2018

Very disappointed by the experience
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

It was very poor quality for the price & the glass igloos were cold & very basic. Restaurant like a boring cafeteria & food mass produced

• Reviewed: February 15, 2018

Unbelievable views from glass Iglo, but all in all not worth the money you have to fork out
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

Kakslauttaned iglos do not come cheap. View from Iglo was stunning, but the facilities in the room disappointing for the money you pay. For example no place to hang your clothes and décor was outdated as well as carpets and cupboards. We had no help with our luggage and you got a little slay that you had to drag your luggage on yourself through thick snow for quite a distance to your igloo and back on checkout day. The food was average and our desert was not cooked properly! Not worth the amount of money you pay for this resort.

The view in the glass Iglo was unbelieable

• Reviewed: February 10, 2018

Must have experience, but a bit overpriced!
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

Carrying your luggage to your igloo on a sleigh is fun, but if you get lost and have many pieces, it's like a torture at -20C. Overall, although it's a unique experience, it's a bit overpriced.

Staying in an igloo is definitely a must have experience! The staff was friendly and helpful in booking activities.

• Reviewed: February 9, 2018

Very unique place.
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

We need to walk 20m from our glass igloo to the reception. The glass igloo is too small with minimal facility. It is overpriced for the facilities and services given.

Very unique place. Pictures look stunning especially the glass igloos with the snowy background.

• Reviewed: February 9, 2018

The resort is like a fairy tale.

It’s a little pricey

The resort is like a fairy tale. It’s the best resort I’ve ever been in life. The temperature dips to below -30 degrees, but it’s worth exploring the reindeers, northern Lights, horse stables, frozen water bodies, white roads etc.

• Reviewed: February 5, 2018

Dissapointing. With a little thought it would of been magical.
    • Queen Suite

Limited creature comforts for a queen suite. Heating was turned off when we got there and it was -27C outside, it took a day for the cabin to warm up and that was using the log fire too. No TV which was a surprise (as it nice to cuddle up and watch a film, and perhaps get to know the available activities - ps snow mobile safari recommended), but mattress was a 4 inch mattress topper onto a hard wooden base, thin duvet/cover, no blankets (fake fur ones would of added to the experience). Overall not very luxurious or comfortable for the price. With a kitchenette available they should sale small welcome packs. The very SMALL shop which is part of the restaurant we stumbled across. With a bit of extra thought the whole experience would of been magical as the setting was lovely, staff friendly, but the queen suites look and are sold to be luxurious. To go to bed in 2 layers of clothing is not what i imagined a romantic getaway. Shame...

It is a winter wonderland.

• Reviewed: February 4, 2018

The Nordic Ski tracks - basically, starting next from our...
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

We weren't lucky with the Northern Lights... But what can you do?... Can't change the weather to our liking.

The Nordic Ski tracks - basically, starting next from our igloo and spreading for miles :). Marvellous!

• Reviewed: February 2, 2018

Average
    • Large Glass Igloo (4 Adults)

Poor facilities, sauna's where a disgrace. Average food. Very expensive.

Fantastic location and glass Igloo accomodation but unfortunately that's all you pay for.

• Reviewed: January 31, 2018

Disappointed
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

They are not organized, there was no information disseminated about the facilities, the activities or the fact that you walk to the restaurant in -15 c weather. We chose this resort based on amenities and not price, they did not live up to either!

• Reviewed: January 30, 2018

Beautiful location and great food
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Nothing springs to mind, except maybe that we couldn’t have a sauna before 5pm (only relevant if staying in glass igloo, as other cabins have own saunas).

Beautiful location. It was hard to tell how busy the resort was but it was very tranquil. We were in East Village, which was much smaller than the West Village. This location suited us but we did take the free transfer to the other site.

• Reviewed: January 29, 2018

Not worthy for the amount you'll pay.. no wifi nor emergency telephone in the room..
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

Staff treatment despite of you paying a fortune for one night stay.. I was not expecting for a VIP treatment but atleast they should think that every guest staying there has paid a lot of money and had made a long plans for it.. they should have given atleast a well deserved treatment for every guest they have or rather for everyone, but it was really poor.. once you reached the reception to check in, they will check you in only if you arrived there on the given check in time which is at 3 pm.. they won't even bother to advice you what else you can do so you won't waste your time for just doing nothing at the reception, they don't even offer any hot drinks nor water while waiting... then once checked-in, they will just give you the key, a map and that's it.. it's up to you on how you'll find your room.. no baggage service.. just the map, a key and get your own sled for your luggage. We stayed in an igloo glass in the old east village and we were not even advised that there is west village which has more activities and far bigger than where we're staying.. well in short I think the value of the money for what we've got wasn't worthy at all...

Just the design and serenity in the west village and nothing else.. but unlucky us as we stayed in the east village which has no free activities at all..

• Reviewed: January 28, 2018

An amazing stay in a winter wonderland!!
    • Kelo Glass Igloo (6 Adults)

Having to pay very expensive transfers to and from airport on hotels own bus, also not enough information as to times etc

Beautiful resort, great food, friendly staff !

• Reviewed: January 26, 2018

Nice hotel
    • Large Chalet (5 Adults)

Breakfast was weak. You need to pay extra for fire place.

We stayed at the cabinet and it was very very nice. Staff were really kind and helpful. Dinner was great. Sauna was nice. East village is better than the west.

• Reviewed: January 26, 2018

• Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

The price would be a bit budget friendly,but if you are looking this stay as one of the once in a life time then there is no problem..we did not have any bad experiences during our stay and everything was perfect..but we stayed in west village;i think the east village is a bit more problematic because of the crowd..

The kelo igloo was very well equipped and satisfying.The staff was very helpful,the aurora restaurant and its meals were very nice.The activities,the buildings through the village were all good details.

• Reviewed: January 25, 2018

A bucket list experience 💙
    • Glass Igloo (2 Adults)

The setting is amazing . When we were there the outside temperature was -31 . I can assure you it is much more comfortable looking for the northers light from the warm comfort of your bed instead of standing outside 😅. The dinner served in the main lodge was above expectation . We had King crab for starter . The biggest legs i have ever been served. For main dish we had steak and white fish . Delicious . Even the walk to and from the igloo was an adventure . The freezing temperatures make every venture outside quite exciting 😂. We only booked one night and that was perfect. There is no shower in the igloo. Only a toilet and washbasin . So to shower one needs to go to the sauna cabins 100m away . Beautiful accomodation. However At -31 * I chickened out . I showered in the next hotel 😄.