Reviews of Hotel de France 2 stars

58 Rue De France, 06000 Nice, France

#144 of 169 hotels in Nice

6.1

I would have liked to had a micro-fridge at least so that we could have had drinks or items to make sandwiches for lunch's instead of having to spend a ton of money on food and drinks everyday. Outside of maybe a little more water pressure and smaller showering rags, all was well.

The hotel was in a great location, literally just down the street from the beach and on the same road as a bunch of shops and restaurants. The beds were super comfy and we slept great (much needed after a long day of sightseeing and beach laying). It was actually kind of nice to have a room without all the bells and whistles, very simple and actually all you needed in a hotel, tv, wi-fi, bed, shower, toilet! Also liked how the staff was very courteous and allowed us to store our bags after checkout so we didn't have to lug them around while we waited for our flight time to come around!

Airconditioning was not working and you couldn't sleep with windows open because of noise from the street. Ants in the room (second floor), one roll of toiletpaper and no refill until all paper was used... no fridge, no blowdryer. Nothing except for bed, chair, table and a tv and everything pretty old and outdated.

The location was excellent. Supernear to the beach and a huge foodstore 100m from the hotel and many affordable restaurants. Near to everything. Stuff was very friendly!

The trade off with the view from room 303 was the street noise, despite double glazed windows !! Nice has the loudest motor bikes in France.

As well as the excellent staff at reception,the position of this hotel is its strongest attraction. The room we got was large enough, and clean. It commanded a very good view. We stayed for 3 days and enjoyed what the hotel had to offer.

The hotel is a bit used and looks like it needs some touch to renovate it. The walls in the rooms are dirty.

I liked the place where it was situated. Very central and literally 5 mins from the Sea. The staff was very helpful.

No hot water pressure, broken shower door and bathroom door. Black outs because hotel rooms were occupied and couldn’t handle power use. Wifi does not work in rooms.

Horrible WiFi very weak!!! It can't be used in the room, one needs to go outside to the breakfast area to use it and even there doesn't work well at all. I had to go to the cafe next door to use their WiFi which was excellent.

Horrible breakfast for 7 euros! For 10 euros the cafe next door gives you 3 delicious fresh eggs w/toasts, butter and jam, croissants and real freshly made cappuccinos...not made from a machine like the one in the hotel. Also this cafe has an excellent WiFi.

No lift meant hauling the suitcases up 2 or 3 flights of stairs. This was OK for us, but those less fit might need some help.

Staff were happy to store luggage after check-out time.

I diddnt like the fact that the floors in the room and under the bed was dirty and hardly cleaned as my baby is crawling , she was picking up hair from another person and this wasn’t nice

I loved the location , it was quiet at night , the hotel was modern and clean and perfect and comfortable

The bathroom had a little of a rotten smell

Location is amaizing, 3 minute walk to the beach, many amaizing cafes and restaurants. The bed was very comfortable. Big window.

WiFi would work very badly. Not a problem for me, but if it is for you, reconsider

First you should all know this is a 2 tar hotel. That said, what I got was very clean rooms with super comfortable beds and that's all I needed in the end of the day. It's very close to the beach and many bars and restaurants. the staff was super friendly and helpful with everything we needed. Breakfast is not so cheap but in fairness it's the same price you'd pay outside, so it was quite handy. Would definitely recommend! Very good value for money

The staff are very helpful and accommodating. The room was the perfect place to rest our heads after long days of exploring. Close location, to the promenade, shops, bars and restaurants..

wifi also in the room, not just in the common areas; noise insulation: I heard all the noises from other rooms and the corridor

the bed was very comfy; the staff were kind to keep our luggage after check-out

There was no wifi in our room. Only on the staircase.

The room was gorgeous with a cute balcony and the staff were very friendly. Perfect location being so close to the beach.

• Family Room

Closet space could be more updated. Bathroom toilet seat was not the right size so it wouldn’t stay up. Floors could use better cleaning.

Location was great! Room could have been nicer.

The room was very basic. In general the room was small but ok, but the bathroom was a disaster. It needs a proper makeover. The bathroom was awful. The shower cabin was very small and we could hardly turn around, although we are skinny. There was only a small bar of soap provided. I was very lucky, I brought my own stuff because I would not have been able to take a shower. The photographs did not reflect the true look of the hotel.

Staff was very friendly and very helpful although we did not speak the language. Location was also great.

one of the staff lie on us that there were no public transport but there were, just to take a taxi through him and he wasn't able to speak English. I was so upset about that

the location was very good

Shower was broken, shelf in bathroom was broken. Pillows were lumpy. Staff were friendly but couldn’t do anything when I complained. No WiFi.

It’s clean and so close to the beach.

Hard to park.

Just few streets walk and we are in centre of Nice, and the Promenade des Anglais. Restaurants, bars, breakfast places are very close. The hotel is perfect for a few night stay, and to visit the city

VERY BASIC HOTEL PROVIDING NO EXTRA AMENITIES. HOTEL COULD BE IMPROVED SO MUCH MORE WITH A FEW EXTRA FURNISHINGS WHICH I COMMENTED ON IN MY LAST REVIEW. HAVE STAYED TWICE BUT WON'T STAY AGAIN. ONLY STAYED THE SECOND TIME TO SEE IF IT HAD IMPROVED BUT SADLY IT HADN'T. THE HOTEL SERVES IT PURPOSE WITH NO FRILLS. CLEANING PERSON ALSO SERVES BREAKFAST AND VICE VERSA!

GOOD LOCATION, BEDS COMFORTABLE. LITTLE COFFEE SHOP BESIDE THE HOTEL WHERE YOU CAN GET A NICE BREAKFAST.

Ugly, ugly room. The room did not look anything like the photos shown in Booking.com website (great photoshop artist must have done those photos). The room was really ugly with moldy walls in the bathroom, office ceiling tiles in the bedroom. Bathroom door did not close unless by forcing it closed with a 20 cent sliding closer fron inside the bathroom, otherwise stayed open. The electric outlet in the bedroom were without power, so the only wall outlet available was in the bathroom. The toilet was tilted due to uneven floor level. Internet wifi was not available in the room, only in the breakfast room on the floor below.

• Quadruple Room

The place was not particularly clean. The shower plug hole was so full of something (I didn't want to investigate what) that the shower would not drain away. The Wifi was very poor. The general condition of the room was very dated and nothing like the picture advertised on booking.com, which looked fresh and clean. At the end of the day its listed as a 2 star and that's probably what it is, as long as you know this in advance you probably wont be disappointed.

We booked a family room for the day as we were flying out late at night. The room was a good size. Check in is from 14:00 hours, and the hotel allowed us to store our luggage there early so we could go off and explore. The hotel itself is perhaps 10 minutes walk from the seafront and the main city center. It is far enough out, that you can be away from the main tourist area if you wish.

The room was very basic.

Nice staff. Very good location: 3-5 min walk to the beach, 15 min walk to railway station, airport only 15-20 min by bus. Easy access to tourist sites, city centre. Good wifi in the room.

Breakfast options are basiclly two, but you can always go outside and have something to eat

Great location, cleanliness, comfortable bed, quiet and close to the beach, we didnt expect such great place for that money

There is no elevator, and even though we were helped by the gentelman from the reception,during a different part of the day, no one would have helped us to take our heavy baggage upstairs. On the 3rd floor there was no wifi!!! On top of it, there were roaches and bed bugs in our room!!! That is not acceptable! It looked like other people complained during our stay as well, but no one cared! I would not recommend to stay in this hotel. The cheaper hotel in Cannes was much much better. This hotel is bad value for the price!

The staff is attentive, especially the guy from the morning shift. Good location!

Poor internet; very little soap per day; noise too much; water not draining well; the cab for airport not providing a receipt and not taking a credit card. Rooms too small for the value. Air conditioning not working well.

Good friendly staff

the accommodations were disappointing - the beds were similar to what you might find in a hostel or dorm room. One very sad pillow per bed. There were three small packets of soap, thank goodness i had just washed my hair the day prior. There was no hairdryer. The photos on the website were not representative of the actual rooms.

the location was good, the gentleman at the desk was friendly and helpful...

Nothing to complain here... I would say the room is decent standard i knew what I payed for soo... If im going to complain... I open the window every night for some fresh air ;) Toilet is fresh and nice but my shower was a bit annoying the water wouldn't drain down... Other than that I'm satisfied. Oh my neighbor were quite during nights thats a plus...

Location is awsome... Hotel is near to the beach exactly what i was looking for.

Might not be suitable for people with big luggages as there are no lift.

Everything was nice, it was a walking distance from the beach and there's a bakery nearby.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

6 flights of stairs up to 3rd floor room - note NO LIFT! We were coming from a cruise so had too much luggage for dragging up stairs, Luckily the maid helped us View over alley. From the street, other rooms looked better located

Good aircon. Shower clean & OK Windows open if required. Double glazed for quiet sleep Location excellent Close to Beach, shops, bistros Breakfast available on site, but plenty of friendly bistro choices nearby

There was no soap in the bathrooms, rooms are very basic. On the first night we were put into the wrong room, on the second we were moved to another which was slightly better, but only in comparison to the terrible room on the first day. The bathrooms are very small. It's more of a hostel than a hotel. There is no services within the hotel at all, no bar, no bathroom outside of your room.

Most of the staff were friendly.

Friendly & helpful staff, but I resorted to pantomimes since I don't speak french (funny moments). I stayed in the 1st floor and didn't need an elevator, but I can't recall seeing one. Walls are thin (like everywhere) and I was unlucky to share the floor with some extremely noisy and rude fellows (I practiced my rusty Italian a bit) who would bang the doors of their rooms and laugh and scream at each other at 3am. At some point they probably smoked in their room and the fire alarm rang for 15' keeping us awake. However, this could happen at any hotel and the staff was helpful after we informed them of our "nightly adventure".

2' walk to the Promenade des Anglais (beach, public transportation to the airport). 15-20' walk to the old city. Easy to find, good and safe location. Clean, medium sized room. Really quiet if you sleep with the windows closed. Bed was relatively comfortable. Lots of bakeries nearby to try some delicious goods (didn't try the breakfast since I wanted to have lots of options to choose from). WiFi signal was good. We asked for hair dryer and it was provided promptly. We paid upon arrival, so we felt we had the liberty to keep our plans flexible till a couple of days before the trip without risking the refund. After reading many reviews of hotels in Nice, I was pleasantly surprised at finding this hotel much better than I originally expected.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

For real, I have used booking so many times and one can see I am a genius member now , this is the worst hotel I have ever seen. It is not cheap actually , almost 90 euro per night so we expect it to be good , but then you find the facility is so bad , the door of toilet cannot be closed ! It is totally broken ! The glass door of bath place is also broken , one cannot close it , always water out , the light of bathroom is sometimes working sometimes not with some noise , and the tv has only 1 channel working . I don't know other rooms , at least for room number 100 it is really horrible ! Also the room is just at the corner of the stairs , every one passes it when they go up or down , so you can't sleep all night long , because at any time people are walking and talking , the wall is paper thin !! If you don't like noise , don't accept room 100 ! Seriously room 100 is horrible ! For real , we are very very disappointed at this price

The location is good , very near the sea and some supermarket, the work people is good

It only had wifi on the 1st level after it read wifi throughout whole hotel. There were no lifts and we got put on the top floor and had to carry 5 bags of luggage up 4 flights of stairs. The room didn't have a secure safe and provided us with a safe that was pointless since it could just be taken out of the room. Very un satisfied with the hotel, you could book a better rated hotel for way better value of money anywhere in nice.

There was nothing to like

Lack of simple things as soap and toilett paper in the room.

With a perfect location one block in from Promenade de Angles, the property was very easy to access. Walking distance to everything.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

The location is excellent. In the center, very close to the beach, little shops, restaurants and busstop to the airport. Staff is very kind and helpfull and always smiling. We felt welcome. Rooms are fine and beds comfortable. It quite a basic hotel, but that is clear as that is what you book. For this price though, it was much more then you would expect.

The lock in the bathroom was broken, so the door couldn't be closed and as we were two people in the room it was somehow uncomfortable. Also the shower couldn't be fixed properly without throwing water all around the bathroom. No parking at the hotel. All public parkings around are paid and it is hard to find a parking place. Still we did manage 😃

Excellent location, right in the center and next to the sea! Very nice, friendly and helpful staff! 24 hours open. The cleaning service was very good. The room was big enough for 2 people and the bed was comfortable. Generally a very good compromise for the price and location. We had a great stay there.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

3 flights of stairs with no elevator and no assistance offered . Men behind front desk were not friendly and not helpful. One nice woman worked front desk at night but others very serious and distant. You had to insert room key in slot to get electricity in room to work and one electrical outlet was broken in main room so thought i was charging phone but only bathroom outlet worked in room 305.

the room was very clean with maid service daily. The twin beds and pillows very comfortable with maid changing sheets daily.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Bathroom was a bit dishevelled. It was clean but looked like it needed a re vamp. Shower door wouldn't close properly so it flooded the floor on the first night. From then on I had to get my partner to close me in from the outside.

The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was nice but we only chose to eat it once as we found better deals in the neighbourhood. The staff were also very attentive and very helpful.

The room was VERY small and very basic--no extras like hair dryer, bathtub, nothing! With the three beds, there was barely room to walk around. It was also a little clammy from the humid air.

The staff were friendly and helpful! It was a good value for what we paid. If you're looking for a simple, cheap hotel near the promenade des Anglais, this is a good option! It's a bit of a walk from the train station, but doable.

Wifi din't arrive to the rooms. You must stay on the living room for the signal

Excellent personal treatment and very cleaned and nice rooms. So close from the city center and the beach.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

The wifi didn't work in the rooms, only in the breakfast area. The rooms smelled so we had to keep the windows open. It just didn't feel fresh and clean.

The staff were amazing and made us feel at home and safe.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Room very tiny. Shower make sure you're extra fit, 'cause you'll have a hard time getting in (and out). Little variety for breakfast. Only packed jam and butter. Croissant was ok. Bread was good. No fresh milk. No meat. No nutella to stuff your croissant with. For 7 Euros not good value.

Staff was friendly. Location is a plus. Wifi is good, although on the 3rd floor reception wasn't so good. Bed comfortable.

In room a bit cold, i sent request about my check-in earlier and breakfast few days before and no answer.

Very good location, near promenade... Room was good enough, lady and Young guy on the reception very helpful, the other guy didn't speak english too much. Good if you are looking for something just to sleep and go.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Cleaner began cleaning a bedroom just next to breakfast room so one could hear all that as she left the door open!

Croissants were large and fluffy! Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was newly tiled and spotless. Reception staff on check-in was excellent and a different receptionist served my breakfast the following morning; he was very professional.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Bathroom was very basic. Replace the toilet seat!!! Never popular when it starts showing its serviced thousands! It was however clean:) Parking is of course always difficult most places in Nice so be prepared to walk a bit.

Great location to discover the city from. Good price via Booking.com Superior room was decent size (building corner room with 2 charming street view windows).

What u find on your website is totally different from what you get, that is totally wrong, advertise the rooms the way they not photo painting rooms to make it look inviting on computer and on ground disgusting. I hated the room from the day one, wish I saw d room before paying I would av not paid for it, I feel I was out smarted and cheated..I think you should make your customer see the rooms the book for online as what they book is always different when you see it live. But if customers see the room before paying then they can like d room and pay for it or ask for a better room. Instead of making someone pay premium for a room that is dirty, with small beds and dirty duvet

I liked nothing

The most basic you can get in a hotel. Beds and pillows were not very comfortable, minimal toiletries, and they didn't add more on the 2nd day. Overall decor a little depressing. No wifi in rooms, signal very week.

Location was excellent! So close to the promenade, and plenty of restaurants around. Nice staff.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

The road outside can be noisy at night - but not every night as our final night was quiet. On the other nights it was mainly dustbin lorries emptying and cleaning rubbish bins as well as other traffic. But if you shut the windows and shutters and if necessary wear ear plugs it's fine.

Really excellent location and the staff are great. Beatrice on reception was lovely and very helpful. Our room and bathroom were basic but very clean. Nice cafe close by for breakfast too.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

It was an awful accommodation. They didn't clean the room well and changed sheets every 4-5 days only even if you requested them. What was worse was that our stuff went missing from the room. Yes, a bag was stolen from the room and the hotel staff and manager refused to help and listen to us. They refused to check the cameras and instead were screaming and created an absolute ruckus. We wasted 1 whole day trying to sort it out and get to the bottom of it only in vain. We had to finally lodge a police complaint. And we haven't heard back from the hotel about this till data. Don't consider this place if you're looking for a happy peaceful trip.!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

I think it needs to be pointed out to anyone infirm that there is no lift. Doesn't affect me-but it could be an issue for some.

The bed and the croissants were fine. For me the location was important and being within 7 minutes of the beach is great. I did not hear noises within the hotel late at night. Everything in the room worked as it should do. Coming by public transport (bus), the stop was on the Prom des Anglais a couple of minutes away!

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

All was good-can not complain on anything

Staff is personal /professional and most helpful. Beatrice and Patricia very friendly and give numerous tips. Loved this place- very clean-great location. I will be recommending this place to anyone who asks.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Didn't like the fact that we were given WIFI password but WIFI didn't work in our room, however it was said that WIFI is available. Also, found that the pictures looked better than the place in reality and for that money I think that there are better places, also if you pay a bit extra your possibilities will be much more wider.

The location was amazing- near the airpord, good connection, next to good restaurants, shops and the main promenade. The staff was really welcoming and personal, by the time we arrived our room was ready and staff knew which ones of all the guests we are and welcomed us by our names. Both check in and check out were fast and comfy.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

no elevator and the shower was tiny even though the toilet had space for it to be bigger. I almost couldnt wash my hair!

The location is great and the room has a good space.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

No elevator (stayed in 3rd floor) No wifi in the rooms No aircondition on the 2nd night Staff not helpful at all No paper in the toilets!!!!! Not clean bedsheets Definitely NOT value for money choice

Location is near the old town and the main streets

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

problems with sewerage. side streets very noisy. room is depresively decorated.

excellent location. sea, city center and supermarkets are close by. TV and AC are ok.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

I think I did not get room that I paid for, because the photos did not match. They said it is booking fault and could not give me the room I saw in the photos. I booked superior double room and got the room that looks like double room only, which is supposed to be cheaper. They also charged me twice, once when I booked and once on check in. They said first was preauthorisation but I got the notification from the bank that money deducted twice from my account and the preauthorised one is still not refunded.

Location was amazing, 2 minutes walk from the beach. Bed was spacious

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Room was small but the thing that I really didn't like is that nothing was clean. really dirty I got the impression that they newer clean the rooms. no parking

Location was great and staff was excellent air conditioning

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

There is no lift.

The staff was very kind. She gave us good informations for our sightseeing. There are many shops around the hotel.(bakery, meat shop, ice cream shop, cafe, etc.)

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

Extremely basic room - what do you expect from a budget hotel, bed, to, shower, toilet, hangers. Now imagine all in their most aged and simple form and you get the idea. Barely adequate bathroom, broken closet.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Quadruple Room

The room felt like we were in a cave due to its stark plaster walls and cement floor. They did give us two towels per person, but they were paper thin.

The staff was wonderful and the location was perfect. Very close to the promenade, shops and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Shower absolutely tiny in my room. Old fashioned grotty tiles. But it was clean in fairness. No lift . So not suitable at all for those who are not able bodied. Double room supposedly but very small. You gotta really like the person you are with. Otherwise....

The location excellent. Near beach & restaurants. 20 mins walk from port . Safe & friendly.

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

My room (single room) was very small. This wouldn´t have mattered so much but it also was quite dirty (and I am really not a picky person). I asked to change the room after one night which was possible, so it was OK for the following nights.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The location of the hotel is great, walking distance to the sea and the city center.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

• Quadruple Room

Only one key per room. would have liked to have at least two keys between four of us as they lock the entrance door after 11pm.

Basic rooms but clean and comfortable for group of young friends. Great location one street back from beach and also supermarket just to the right when leaving the hotel.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

Most of the staff did not speak any English, which made communication extremely difficult, like asking to use the community iron. Wifi was spotty at best.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

It was very basic but that wasnt surprising given the price and location.

Excellent location and value for money. Right in the middle of Nice. This is a perfect place for a stag or hen do. It was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

• Family Room

Tiny bathroom. Like many others this hotel is not for those who travel with wheelchair or stroller, but everybody is ready to help as much as they can.

The location is perfect for everything. Shopping, walking, going to the restaurants etc. Very helpful staff.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 18 June 2016

There was a bit of an odor walking up the stairs (no lift, which wasn't a problem for us). The sink in our bathroom also leaked a little, but we told the hotel and they apologized and said they would take a look (we told them as we checked out since we only stayed one night). Overall we were very pleased though!

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, tidy, and very spacious. There was also a working air conditioning and a TV. The walls were thick and we didn't hear anything from other rooms or the street, The location was perfect! Right near the promenade and not far from the old town, also a 15 minute walk from the train station, which we took to Monaco. There is also a parking structure right around the corner.

The location is absolutely brilliant, the sea is close and there are also a couple of top restaurant and coffee places nearby.

Didn’t know it was a 2 Star rating. Wish it had an elevator.

The bed was very nice and room lovely

No kettle

Great location and very friendly and helpful staff

lack of restaurant

the staff were very pleasant and helpful.

No lift