Reviews of Hotel Kammerzell 3 stars

16 place de la Cathédrale, 67000 Strasbourg, France

#59 of 82 hotels in Strasbourg

Size of the room and bathroom.
    • Double or Twin Room

Only choice of colors for the rooms. But that is not really a problem :)

Size of the room and bathroom. Really nice rooms. Really kind receptionist. No problems at all.

A hotel with much history right in the heart of town and great value for money.
    • Double or Twin Room

A pity the wardrobe and desk were modern and clashed with the feel of the place.

The atmosphere of the hotel is steeped in history and a great base to explore Strasbourg. The dinner was excellent in a fantastic dining room. The quiet air-conditioning was much appreciated.

The location is unbelievable, and the price is right.
    • Double or Twin Room

Only one small Elevator. Very few wall sockets to charge devices. Limited breakfast offering (no eggs), but it's France, right?

Location, Location, Location!!! The room was nice and comfortable. The bathroom was relatively big and modern. The regular ringing of the cathedral bells reminded us where we were, and it was no problem even for our 20 month old son. We all slept well.

Noisy
    • Double or Twin Room

Very very noisy. The windows of my room were really old, so even the smallest noise at the patio can be heard clearly while you are trying to sleep, even if the hotel is in the 3rd or 4rd floor. This particularly includes a ventilation system installed in the patio, that make a constant noise that is quite annoying. The only quiet corner in the room is the toilet, so unless you like sleeping in the bath, I won't recommend to stay here.

Great location, very nice and helpful staff.

Perfectly situated!

Hotel is on the 3rd Floor. On the 2nd Floor there was a Party with extremely loud clubmusic and dancing People until half past 4 in the morning. It was impossible to sleep!

Perfectly situated!

Nice Restaurant, nice people, run down property
    • Double or Twin Room

This property could be a gem if more attention was paid to cleanliness in the rooms (not my halt in the sink!!), ladt Refurb of the rooms was decided ago very tired furnishings... Sad...

Location location location, although it cokes at the expense if "NO PARKING"

Worst experience ever, seriously, read the review
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything, but the location. Seriously, one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. I tried to be nice to write in French when I asked for a room with a nice street view, adding the phrase "if possible" as politeness. What I got was worse than I have ever imagined. After arriving to the floor of my room and opening the door I found out that there is again another staircase which led me to the attic. It is not just that there was no street view, there was no view at all. The windows were apr. 30x40 cm and far away, cut inside the rooftop. Everything else was just old, bad looking and b quality. I am not tall (170) but I banged my head into the ceiling a few times and even the bathroom mirror was fixed in angle (you could see everything perfectly in it as long as it was the sink or your feet that you wanted to see). I have tried to ask for another room, but they were full. The staff was really nice (that is why they did not get 0 for everything) but they could not help. When they showed me the reservation the words "if possible" were underlined, and they claimed that I did not say explicitly that I want a room with a view (or with windows at all)... I left after one night and looked for another hotel for my second night in Strasbourg, it was so bad. And, I almost forgot, when I went down to the breakfast room (which is really cold, looks old and has no light, either, thanks to the middle age styled windows) everything was already taken away as they "forgot" that there were still guests who had not have breakfast yet (and even people were arriving after me). Finally they brought out some food, but still. I have attached a few pictures of my "room," be aware that the darkest one was taken in the morning by daylight (and I bumped up the brightness already), the others I took when I arrived in the evening.

The location. Right next to the cathedral.

Central Strasburg
    • Double or Twin Room

Walking through restaurant and kitchen area to get to the lift and hotel rooms in the attic. Breakfast was disappointing but so few rooms available probably impacted the variety. More coffee would have been appreciated.

Location is fabulous. Able to walk to majority of museums and attractions. Tourist office just steps away.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Better avoid this!

Repugnant and uncooperative people at the reception. No proper lighting in the bathroom. Dubious hygiene, especially in the bathroom, but not only. Flies and disgusting smell of frying oil coming into the rooms from the restaurant located in the same building.

Mainly the location.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

The worst guest treatment ever

Besides the breakfast being very limited, I had the most unpleasant experience with a staff member - without knowing there is only a limited number of tables which you can use for breakfast, I seated myself and a waiter came in to tell me that I cannot sit at that table (even though it was a completely empty room) because it is for lunch and not for breakfast. I apologized explaining that I did not know and asked if he wants me to move or I can finish my breakfast and then from tomorrow follow the rules. He brought me coffee saying ok for staying that morning as I understood. A couple of minutes later a young woman came to YELL at me saying that I am breaking the rules and making them extra work and that it was unacceptable. I first in shock apologized trying to explain but then could not believe my ears how she was treating a guest. I will never ever set my foot in this property. For years I have been a business traveller, stayed in many different hotels all around Europe and the world and never have I experienced such a horrible treatment.

It's a perfect location.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Very nice old building with rooms that combine tradition and...

The unwillingness of the hotel management to have a light breakfast served before 7:00 (for people who have to take an early train) is somewhat perturbing.

Very nice old building with rooms that combine tradition and comfort. Spectacular setting next to the cathedral.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Great location. Terrible staff and care more about restaurant than hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff was unpleasant and not helpful and rude. Simple things like corckscrew they did not want to assist with. Got upset when we brought outside food into the hotel. Wifi didn't work the first night of the stay. Not someplace that I would come back to. Not happy with stay. The staff cares more about the restaurant than they do about the hotel and guests.

The location of the hotel was amazing. Rustic atmosphere and history of hotel. Food was great.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Stay in a piece of history
    • Double or Twin Room

One night a loud band played until about 2 am. We think it was in the hotel on the floor below. Also our first room on the 4th floor had very low ceilings and we kept bumping our heads on the beams. Ouch! So stay away from room 47. They changed us when we asked.

Location was great. An ancient building - very cool. The staff were friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

A nice building and excellent location, but not more.

First of: This is not a hotel, it's a resturant. I had to walk up and down stairs for 30 minutes before one of the twenty waiters realized it is a hotel here as well. Didn't feel really welcome. The room was ok, though you can not book this hotel if you're over 190, the ceiling is simply to low, I couldn't stand upright most of my time here.

The location was easily the best in Strasbourg. I can recomend living her just because fo the buliding and its history as well.

Location!

A one night stay in super location. Not there long enough to check out all facilities.

Breakfast choice rather limited.

All the people were very helpful and friendly.

Location to Christmasmarkets

Location to Christmasmarkets

Enjoy the stay as the hotel is close to all the main areas but very expensive fot what you get
    • Double or Twin Room

My room couldn’t lock the WiFi didn’t work very expensive for what you get

Nice experience

Breakfast could be better

Amazing place just in centre of Strasbourg, room of acceptable size for one person.

Great character
    • Double or Twin Room

Bedroom was tired looking right at the top windows too small. Food a little expensive for what you get

Great location and character nice bathroom

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

The room and The bed are too small, if you are not a dwarf...

Bed, low ceiling

The room and The bed are too small, if you are not a dwarf you'll end up bunging your head to the ceiling amd walls.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Staff not very friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff not very friendly. They were too busy with the restaurant.

• Double or Twin Room

Attic room with steep stairs and cautious head room in places. However, very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

The location is direct in the city next to the Cathedral.

The breakfast and the service for it was bad.

The location is direct in the city next to the Cathedral.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

This place was amazing!

This place was amazing! The staff had no problem staying up very late for me when I had a delayed train, were kind, knowledgeable and considerate. The building is stunning, and very well situated, there's even a book about its history, construction and evolution. My room was lovely, spacious and authentic, yes, the windows are small, which makes it more unique and authentic to the time period when the building was built. It was a truly unique experience and one of my favorite stays in five years of exploring Europe.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2016

Great hotel smack in the middle of Strasbourg.

Quite a bit of street noise one night due to garbage collection that starts very early - 6 AM (tip: only open window at the back side)

Great hotel smack in the middle of Strasbourg. Restaurant is the main business - hotel is a bit of a fringe activity but very good. Ceilings of single rooms in the attic are a bit low (about 2.05 m) but room very charming. Situated in beautiful monument!

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

Location is very good

Noisy - right next to the cathedral so you hear bells ringing all day long Wifi was terrible - wasn't working when I first arrived and then kept dropping out Old, dirty carpets Tiny room with horrible decoration Uncomfortable, small bed Bins weren't changed in my room upon my arrival Elevator up to rooms is right next to the kitchen so there were trolleys and dirty plates from the restaurant Elevator does not go the whole way up so I had to climb an awkward, spiral staircase with my heavy luggage Some unpleasant staff The outside of the building is absolutely stunning but the rooms are a big let down and not clean

Location is very good Beautiful building from the outside

• Reviewed: 25 March 2016

The staff and the atmosphere.

The cathedral's bells and the tub (the shower is in the tub: it works fine, but the space is limited).

The staff and the atmosphere. And the tea: Dammann Frères brand.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2016

Loved the positioning of the hotel and we ate in the...

Felt the breakfasts were very poor not much choice and not a lot of what there was

Loved the positioning of the hotel and we ate in the restaurant one night which was excellent

• Reviewed: 17 December 2015

Location!

The carpet needs replacing. It lets down an otherwise very good renovation of a historic building.

Location! Right next to the cathedral and in the heart of the Old Town. Beautiful old building, well renovated to accommodate modern facilities. The staff- one of whom went so far as to walk with me at the end of her shift to show me where to find a taxi, as the streets around the hotel were closed to traffic during the Christmas market period. She was lovely and couldn't have been more helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2015

Quirky hotel in the prettiest building in Strasbourg!

The rooms are quirky but given the building it really doesn't matter!

Quirky hotel in the prettiest building in Strasbourg! Amazing location and gorgeous features throughout (staircase!!)... and attached to fantastic restaurant. Loved it.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2015

The people were friendly and welcoming.

Although the position, the staff and the dining room were outstanding, the bedroom lacked any real flair or charm, but it was spotlessly clean. I think they are missing a trick here.

The people were friendly and welcoming. If you stay here, DO NOT MISS dining here - it is a real experience, but make sure you reserve a table because it gets crowded.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2015

Perfect location, right next to the cathedral and easy...

Although not a really bad experience, we found "some" of the staff put off that we didn't speak French although we did make an effort to do so.

Perfect location, right next to the cathedral and easy walking to the canal and many attractions. One of the women on reception was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2015

Location is perfect for tourists.

Dim lighting everywhere in the room, including the bathroom. Poor breakfast, noise form the street, early wake-up (the cathedral bells start ringing alarmingly, loudly and continuously long before sunrise.)

Location is perfect for tourists.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2015

Staff were friendly and hotel is in a great central location.

Room was extremely small and was a twin, although a double had been requested. No free parking anywhere nearby.

Staff were friendly and hotel is in a great central location. An historic building with wonderful architecture but also resulting limitations.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2015

You could not book a more central or prominent location in...

Astonishingly, awful breakfast practically without any selection.

You could not book a more central or prominent location in Strasbourg. Feels more like a 4 star hotel than its three stars.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2015

Everything was excellent, the staff were friendly and they...

Everything was excellent, the staff were friendly and they had a very good restaurant in an excellent couple of rooms. The menu was great and serving sizes were good.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2015

The nine, adequate bedrooms here are on the third floor of a...

For a restaurant of its standard, breakfast is somewhat simple fare, although given that it is included (check!) in the economical room rate, it is pretty much what you can expect in France. The bed had interesting contours but was comfortable enough.

The nine, adequate bedrooms here are on the third floor of a popular restaurant which spreads across the three lower floors and, in the Summer, onto the pavement. The delicious and often ambitious food, in Guide Michelin language, is more than 'worth a detour' yet Kammerzell commands a central position, just feet away from the Cathedrale, currently celebrating its millennium in style.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2015

The ambiance and history of the building were great, and...

Hard to distinguish hotel staff (very small) from the restaurant (very large).The staff were often more taken up with the restaurant than the hotel

The ambiance and history of the building were great, and when the right person was found they were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2015

The hotel was quite cozy, the staff was extraordinaly nice...

I stayed in a dark attic room with a tiny window. There was almost no daylight in the room.

The hotel was quite cozy, the staff was extraordinaly nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 May 2015

You use the same elevator with the kitchen. It is busy and even smell fish. The rooms at the top floor not easy to climb up with a suitcase. After the elevator you need to take steps which is difficult if you have a heavy suitcase. Staff is very nice, gentle and friendly

• Reviewed: 26 May 2015

- Location: near cathedral + boat + walking distance from...

- No air circulation in the room - no mirror outside bathroom - small bathtub and not easy to not put water everywhere when taking a shower - disappointed by the breakfast: very limited choice, not easy to get a real coffee+cream or real cappuccino. This was the kind of BF for a 'Formule 1' hotel

- Location: near cathedral + boat + walking distance from 'Petite France' - Atmosphere of the restaurant/hotel

• Reviewed: 27 January 2015

We had a wonderful experience at the hotel Kamerzell!

We had a wonderful experience at the hotel Kamerzell! You can't beat the location, the hotel was beautiful and charming, and the staff was excellent!

• Reviewed: 20 January 2015

Off Season- cheaper and actually available.

Off Season- cheaper and actually available. Rooms were quiet. Beautifully done. Bed was very comfortable, my wife said the bed is better than ours at home. Right near the Cathedral. Wonderful stay

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

Too much street noise every morning starting around 5 am.

Too much street noise every morning starting around 5 am.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

Excellent location!

Breakfast was average.

Excellent location! The room was quite large.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

Hotel was very nice, clean with prompt staff.

Breakfast could be improved on but overall excellent.

Hotel was very nice, clean with prompt staff. Good Irish coffee breakfast!

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

Position

wifi not working

Position

• Reviewed: 26 November 2015

Splendid location in the Cathedral square, in the same...

It would benefit from a greater care for details

Splendid location in the Cathedral square, in the same building as a splendid restaurant.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2015

old building

Starting at 6.30-7 no sleep,strong noisiness outside. No windows, just small holes, too expensive for such property

old building

• Reviewed: 5 September 2015

A beautiful hotel in a fantastic location in the medieval...

Nothing everything was excellent

A beautiful hotel in a fantastic location in the medieval center of Strasbourg

• Reviewed: 4 September 2015

perfect location in historical building

perfect location in historical building comfortable room with modern amenities and original features air condition very good price

• Reviewed: 7 July 2015

Customer service

• Reviewed: 25 May 2015

Not good service, staff not friendly

• Reviewed: 23 May 2015

The location and the building

The toilet did not flush

The location and the building

• Reviewed: 22 April 2015

The location and the restaurant in kammarzel always the best.

The wifi doesn't work at all outside in the terrace and in our room.

The location and the restaurant in kammarzel always the best.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2015

Unfriendly staff.

Unfriendly staff. Not welcoming Hotel public space and restaurant tired decoration.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2015

The education of the staff very bad, so imposant, I didnt...

The education of the staff very bad, so imposant, I didnt like!

There are also 21 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.