Reviews of Hotel Berlioz 2 stars

55 Rue Berlioz, 06000 Nice, France

#133 of 169 hotels in Nice

Cosy hotel in a very good location. Cute, clean room and very kind stuff. We spent 5 beautiful days
    • Double Room - Basement Level

Cosy hotel in a very good location. Cute, clean room and the owner is very kind. Though we didn't spend too much time in the hotel, other than sleeping but it left a great impression on us! We spent 5 beautiful days in Nice <3

The owners were super friendly and nice.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was VERY hot when we arrived. We left it on to try and cool the room but they turned it off and unplugged our charger while we were gone, but did. Or clean or make up the room...very strange.

The owners were super friendly and nice. They helped us call a tour agency to confirm our pickup and held onto our bags before we left for the airport

Host was very nice!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nobody there to check us in, and no elevator so we had to walk up to the third floor with heavy bags. The beds weren’t super comfortable for me but my boyfriend was fine sleeping.

Host was very nice! We enjoyed the location (coming from the train with two huge suitcases was made very easy) and our room had a really cute mini balcony! Air conditioning was amazing and very necessary.

Highly recomend
    • Double Room - Basement Level

Very clean, nice decorated,cozy hotel.Great position.A few steps away from the train station and main transports(shuttle bus to and from the airport) and a few streets away from Promenade Des Anglais and beach(if you keep straight to the beach you get right at the the famous Le Negresco Hotel.The host Mr.J.P. very warm and trustable.The hotel could easily compeet with a 3* hotel.

Mouldy walls not good enough
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room for what we paid was the smallest we had in our 6 weeks trip of France and Italy. Tiny bathroom and very worn towels. What concerned us most though was the mould on the walls, which was worst beside the bed. See photos. Not only does black mould look dreadful, but it is bad for your health to sleep with it. Not a comfortable place to stay.

The friendly owner/Manager saw we had 2 heavy suitcases, and with stairs only, changed our room to the first floor. He also helped us up the stairs with one of the suitcases. The place is very close to the train station which was good for our early morning train, which is the reason we chose this place. Quaint reception area.

Wanna come back!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Family guest house with an individual approach, very friendly atmosphere. Has its own fleur with some antic furniture, high ceilings and breathtaking view. We loved the stay and will definitely come back!

Clean, modern and tidy room with comfy bed, nice bathroom.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Clean, modern and tidy room with comfy bed, nice bathroom. Good decoration and plus point, nice scent in all the hotel as well as the room. Nice and welcoming owners.

A lovely 3 day stay in a gorgeous hotel. Great value.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

JP was very welcoming. Our flight didn't land until 4.30pm but JP made sure everything was ready for when we arrived at the hotel. He also provided us with a useful Map of Nice and he marked areas of interest for us. We thought this was a lovely touch. Room was cozy and very clean. Shower was brill, always had hot water. Hotel is right beside the train station and the bus stop for the airport.

I guess all minuses of this hotel is common with all **...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Towels are old n smelly, no hand towel. Very small rooms. Wall fungus in a room. Very intense air freshener smell is for sure masking muskiness. “Boutique” in the name is definetly overrated

I guess all minuses of this hotel is common with all ** hotels in France

• Standard Double or Twin Room

DO`NOT BOOK A ROOM AT THIS HOTEL! The reception was CLOSED! I had problem with getting in contact with someone from the hotel! The hotel could not give us breakfast at 07.00 the following morning. We went to another hotel and booked a room there. Although this hotel charged us for the whole fee for one night!! That is not acceptable!

It was good value for money.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would have liked for the bed to be made and a face towel - I only had big bath towels.

I liked the chair a lot. It was very belle epoque. The table and the mirror as well. Also, the painting in the room was very nice. Also, it's nice that you can check in at any time.

Excellent localization
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Excellent localization. Very close to train station, airport bus stop, beach and supermarket. Room with small kitchen. I recommend this hotel to stay in Nice.

Good location. One night stay max.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The owner kept waking us up every single morning and checking our planning every single day. We decided to extend our stay and he made us pay straight away same amount that we paid on Booking. The room was not cleaned at all from when we arrived to when we left. We got bitten all over our body on the first night and had to ask for new sheets that we had to change ourselves. He left some towel at reception and toilet paper for the client to pick up when needed. We had to insist and eventually his wife came at 10am while we were getting ready on the 3rd day we asked if she could wait 30min and he shouted no from downstairs. She eventually came back and did only the bed. She did not even pick up the old bed sheets that were on the floor. Additionally, the window did not close and we fell unsafe. He said that this will be solved and that the clients before broke it but he lied as i saw the same comment several time on Booking about this issue. After we left he called us to tell me that we drank some beer in the mini bar that was never here. We dont even drink alcohol.

Location and relatively cheap. He let us keep the luggages in the room on last day as we had a late flight.

Not a good experience...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

You should be aware that this hotel has no one on duty....I was sent a text with an access code for a 5pm check in and no one was around when I checked out at 9am. The hotel looks cute from the outside but the room was very small, depressing and cold on arrival...The radiator was not working and it wasn’t until the morning that I worked out that the air-conditioning also heated the room. If someone had been on duty I could have solved this problem instantly instead of having a miserable night. Some noisy people came in around 2.30am ...The area is unsafe for walking at night especially for a woman on her own.. I had another reservation for this hotel in three months time and asked the owner (by text as only method of contact) if I could cancel.. he was very rude and refused.. I’m a regular visitor to Nice and there are much better places to stay!

Near the station

Close to the train station but not worth the convenience.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I didn't receive instructions for arriving until shortly before my train pulled into Nice. I was emailed a code for the door and a message that the key would be in an envelope at the front desk. I never saw a receptionist. The room was charged to my card without me having the option of paying cash. Communication is quite poor. The room was comfortable enough but the entire hotel smelled strongly of some deodorizer or cleaning product. It was so strong it caused an allergic reaction, which for me. I had to find a pharmacist before I could sleep. The place was clean but they've gone overboard. So unpleasant! Also, twin beds were pushed together and the bed was quite hard and uncomfortable. I don't typically complain but this was really terrible and I'm sorry I paid even the reasonable price for this room.

I appreciated that the hotel was very close to the train station. It was easy to find and only about a 5-minute walk.

good budget offer for a few days if you're going to spend most time enjoyng thr city
    • Standard Single Room

Noisy from the point of view of acoustics but provably it was a pecularity of the room on the ground floor - you can hear whatever is going on and said at the reception asif it's in yours; however, this room is very spacious

Good location -quiet safe street, 10 min walk to the quai and Negresco Hotel; 5 min walk from the railway Friendly attentive hotel owner -provided all the explanations how to get to the hotel in advance, asked every day how the vavation is going on Room is clean, bed linen is clean and new, room design is new, nice

The people are very nice and helpful.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We stayed on the second floor, the Wifi signal is too weak, so we have to go to the front desk to use the wifi...

The people are very nice and helpful. This hotel is near the train station, which is very convenient to go to other places by train. The room is very quiet.

Horrible.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The picture from booking.com didn't look anything like the room we were given. The size of the room was supposed to be 15 square metres it was maximum 8 square metres. There was no one in reception from 12 pm until 7 am next day, access to the front door was by code so anyone from street if knew code could enter the hotel. It was a very insecure feeling especially with thin doors to the room and poor lock. There was supposed to be wi fi in the room but was switched off. Balcony door were not closing properly.

nothing , glad we didn't book breakfast.

Quite and clean hotel
    • Comfort Triple Room

Towels really need an update.

It's short walk from the Nice promenade, close to the railway station. Deli close to the building,really easy to find. Owners were very polite and helpful. Property is very clean and quite.

Checkout Time.
    • Double Room - Basement Level

You can not extend the checkout time after 10:00 a.m and you can not leave valuable luggage in the reception. Low quality bed.

Fast internet. Close to the train station.

Worthy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The door of the balcony doesn't work so we feel insecure at first. There is no blanket so if you use the air conditioner at night you will feel really cold. The wifi was out of work at the second night we stayed here.

The host is kind and the location is good which near the train station.

Good location.
    • Double Room - Basement Level

There is no staff after about 4 pm. When we arrived to check in, we had to call the owner who gave us the code to enter the front door. First of all this is inconvenient for those traveling from outside the EU who do not have a phone. Second, as far as security, it is very unsafe because anybody can see you put the code in and enter. I woke up to someone banging on the front door because they were locked out. The owner repeatedly told me on the phone not to overuse the air conditioning - that was the extent of customer serivice. Furthehrmore, we were put in the basement room, which I do not remember being specified in the ad (but maybe I missed it). The bathroom had no door on it, which was very awkward. The toilet made a lot of noise and smelled really badly every time it was flushed....and therefore the whole room smelled badly since there was no door. Overall way overpriced for the quality. Pictures looked much nicer than what we actuallly got.

Good location. Fine for sleeping overnight.

Adorable hotel in Nice
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The towels had a funny smell

The Hotel was very charming! It was small, but very clean, the staff was very nice, it was in a good Location and the Price was great! We had air conditioning in the room which was great because it was very hot. We were very happy with our stay!

Hotel Berlioz what a laugh
    • Double Room - Basement Level

No 24 hour reception, basement room was terrible, the bath towels were like sandpaper, breakfast wasn't until 8:30am, I'm on a short vacation and have stuff to do ain't waiting around all morning to eat. Thought I was being pranked. Not what I was expecting or lead to believe from pictures on booking.com and other reviews. I don't know if it was because of Formula One weekend or what but it should have been 50 EUR a night not 160 EUR!!!!! I even booked 2 months in advanced and it still was outrageously priced... Can you say JIPPED

The location from the train station "Nice Ville" wanted to be close since early departures for the Gran Prix and things.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Nice quiet hotel room, great value, basic facilities
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was only one small rubbish bin in the bathroom, which was a bit inconvenient.

The en suite shower was very good. It was a nice quiet place, yet v close to the train station, which was convenient. The décor was interesting and pretty.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Comfy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

When the stuff called me at 9am if check out at 11am, when they know that is the time of check out, I don't need alarm to wake up!!

The room was clean and comfy!! Nice smell of the hotel.

Clean, good value
    • Double Room - Basement Level

Basement room missing the door to the bathroom, would have been nice to have a sliding pocket door, reception was closed when we arrived, had to flag someone down on the street to call the owner for us-not the best first impression

Location was close to the promenade, room very clean, mini fridge convenient

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

Super clean and excellent host
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

All was godd no negertives

Location was close to both shops and beach areas via walking the area is good and the owner does a great job in maintains its appearance for guests

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Small and comfy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

This is a very small hotel you get what you see. There is no lift but hotel manager very happy to help.

Located about 15 mins walk away from the the main shopping street and the seaside and just around the corner from the train station. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable and there is air conditioning and a small fridge. I would recommend this hotel for a young couples and solo travellers on a budget.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Double Room - Basement Level

I was living in a room ( the only room) situated in the basement of the hotel. It was a room without windows. The bathroom also had no door. By the end of my stay I was asked to pay a special tourist tax. It was only one euro per day/ person but I would have liked to have been informed at the beginning when booking the hotel.

The place was nice and clean.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Fantastic place and people!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Beautiful hotel with very comfortabel and clean room! I would like to recommed You to make reservation asap because the hotel is really worth it😊 The owner is very nice and helpful. We spent in Nice nine days and we did not want to return home.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Cosy and stylish hotel, my room was cleaned...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Cosy and stylish hotel, my room was cleaned everyday-including changing the towels. Very responsive owner, available on emails and phone until late hours in case of any issues. And perfect location - very close to the train station and 5mins walk to the sea.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

It is a family hotel, not very clean
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

it is a family hotel, this should have been indicated on the internet to let the people know in advance.Bathroom towel and bed sheets not clean, no front desk staff to help you when you need service.

not far from public transition and beach

Good. Easy
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Black out curtains or blinds. To keep light out better.

Easy entry and keys were left out for us

Nothing, smells really bad trough the all hotel and the...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Nothing, smells really bad trough the all hotel and the rooms also

Hotel is near the train station, beach and shopping center.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Hotel is near the train station, beach and shopping center. Hotel owner is very nice and helpful. I will stay here if I come back to Nice.

It was ok, but not for second time
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

poor utilities, like basic stuff, the hairdrier, shampoo etc...

Location next to train station

Cockroaches. Dirty. Bad smell. Bad linens. Bad towels. Bad place

Location next to train station

The staff were very nice.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Jut the Towels were old and smelly.

The staff where very nice, but just needs new towels. Otherwise in total it was a nice hotel for the value.

Couldn’t wait to leave
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The towels were very old AND SMELLED HORRIBLE, VERY SOUR SMELLING AND WERE CRUNCHY

Quiet

Friendly staff, room's interior was lovely, got safe.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

WiFi wasn't working for 1 night + morning, mattress wasn't gentle to my back.

Friendly staff, room's interior was lovely, got safe.

Great Stay!

No complaints

Very good - Everything

I would never go there again

OK
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It was written " balcony" in room description but there were no any balcony

The staff is nice.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The facilities need to be improved

The staff is nice. He allowed me to check in early

Cold and dirty room

correct

l'absence d'ascenseur

la situation

Great place, great location, great staff
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room had a good AC heater but would had preferred water heaters

Location, excellent staff, check-in timings

Be carefull the bed bugs in the bed
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Many bed bugs in the bed and pillows

The room is ok

It is a convenient place to stay near the railway station and the staff are very friendly.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The towels were old and rough and there was a strange smell in the room. The shower is very small.

Very close to train station
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very small room. Towels are ripped. Bath room is a bit old. Noise in next rooms are hear able.

Very close to train station

Top accommodation! 👍

Friendly staff & perfect location Top

Nice for a short stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

WLAN was not working well; defect window

Very friendly family hotel

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Great alternative for budget travellers
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very good value for your money and close to the railway station

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

It's an amazing hotel, my wife and me were really happy...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It's an amazing hotel, my wife and me were really happy there!!!

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

You get what you pay for
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Basic, but functional. Towels like sandpaper.

Location and price.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

location and value
    • Standard Single Room

my usual hotel in nice .... great location ....good value.

Small clean simple and good
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Our room was small but. There are larger rooms,we just got the last one.

Good simple and clean. Happy to use it again.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

You can't ask for better and this value
    • Standard Single Room

I had a fantastic stay... very clean and comfortable close to all my needs and the staff were very helpful

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

Nice
    • Double Room - Basement Level

No one at hotel for check in, had to call help number.

Nice upgrade room, nice message to help self to a welcome drink

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

cleanliness
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

room was a little dark, not much light a little far from the beach

cleanliness staff very friendly close to car park

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

The location is very near the train station and it's not...
    • Double Room - Basement Level

The location is very near the train station and it's not too far too the sight, it's really nice!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Nice trip in summer
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It is very nice hotel with good price

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Small but verry clean.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Small but verry clean. Perfect location. The owner is kind ! We had a good time !

• Reviewed: 1 May 2016

Picture of the sea gave the impression that the hôtel was on...

Picture of the sea gave the impression that the hôtel was on the océan and that you could go for a sim. Only given one pillow on the bed and v small bed.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2016

That I only had to endure it for 1 night.

Staff! There weren't any from arrival at 1600 until after 0800 even though the note said someone would appear at 0740.......not a secure feeling. No lift and no one to help carry bags up 2 fairly steep flights of stairs. Room was cold with the central heating radiator switched off and a weak aircon having the effect of a peashooter against an elephant! No breakfast.

That I only had to endure it for 1 night.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2016

This little hotel is very welcoming, cleaned and well...

This little hotel is very welcoming, cleaned and well equipped. We arrived a bit late but there's a number on the front door you can call and Jean Pierre will look after you. Having our delicious breakfast in our room the next morning was a real treat! Thank you again for a great stay, we will be back!

• Reviewed: 5 November 2015

We grew to like this place.

First impression was not good. The hotel information said that reception would be open until 11, but when we arrived the place was deserted. We had to phone the manager for the code for the front door and get the key from the desk ourselves. This seems to be the normal procedure. As the hotel was not busy this was ok but not what was advertised. The statement that all rooms have a balcony depends on the definition of balcony. They are "Juliet" balconies and ours overlooked the back of other buildings.

We grew to like this place. The rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable. It is close to the train station but not close to restaurants and sights (take the tram to get there). The area is very quiet on the weekends and a bit unsavoury (sex shops etc). The staff were very friendly -when they were there.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2015

The owner was friendly and the breakfast was good - a little...

We had ordered a room with twin beds and it had two beds joined together with 1 set of sheets - so bed couldn't be separated. They had guaranteed room with balcony - it didn't have balcony and had a terrible view. The hotel was locked when we arrived and if my friend hadn't bought a phone plan from Canada we would have had a difficult time calling the proprietor. We found this unacceptable since we had a car which we had to illegally park while we unloaded luggage.

The owner was friendly and the breakfast was good - a little overpriced for 9 Euros but what we had was good. The proprietor helped us with our luggage when we departed which was great.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

The owner was very pleasant and helpful about sights to see...

We didn't like the sounds that came from other rooms,it was ordinary sounds like doors opening or shower sounds that seemed loud. The bed was a little hard for our liking.

The owner was very pleasant and helpful about sights to see and places to go. The reception smelt amazing as you entered. Room cleaned and fresh towels daily. Location to train/tram and buses was ideal.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2015

Nothing .

Everything .. 1. No staff (recepcniest.room service) 2.too small old room. 3.far from the beach. 4.the photos posted on the net are far from reality )

Nothing ....

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

Comfortable bed

Noisy air con machines for all rooms outside our bedroom window... Owner would not let us use reception toilet when we went back to collect our luggage ! This was unfriendly behaviour! And would not choose to use this hotel again based on this !

Comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 23 June 2015

The location was bad.

The location was bad. In the evening there were lots of whores in the streets. Streets were not safe to park and the car park was very expensive.The towels were brown.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2015

Close to main train station Short trip from airport Short...

Not neccessarily "bad" but we only saw staff upon our departure... Arrival/check in was diy (room key left at reception), had to phone the number on the window to get code to enter hotel

Close to main train station Short trip from airport Short walk to the coast (15 min)

There are also 41 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.