Reviews of Hôtel Bristol Union Intra Muros 3 stars

4 Place De La Poissonnerie, Intra Muros, 35400 Saint Malo, France

#15 of 69 hotels in Saint Malo

A lovely hotel.
    • Club Room

The lighting in the room was not very bright.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. The hotel is well located and easy walking distance to the main places of interest. We did not have breakfast at the hotel, so cannot comment on the food.

Great location, I would stay again.
    • Club Room

The room probably should have an overhead fan or AC. It was very warm so we opened the window, unfortunately then we had some rowdy folks outside at 4 in the morning and the street sweeper cleaning the roads at 630am. A light sheet would have helped instead of the heavy duvet. Trying not to be too critical as the hotel is in the middle of a tourist area so one should expect some issues. I would certainly stay again.

The hotel is in the old part of the town (walled city) easy access to everything, great restaurants and bars are very close. The owner is a sailor very interesting to talk to if your a yachtie. The hotel and rooms are very clean. The bathroom is small but functional and has been upgraded. (very nice) The hotel has car parking facilities outside the wall but very close and secure. I would certainly go back

Intra muros stopover
    • Family Suite

The prices seem to have gone up a lot even in euros, and car parking was charged extra - I thought it was free (because cost wasn't pointed out when I booked).

Great location, friendly staff, comfortable and spacious connecting family rooms, with a lift, quiet yet central and 10 min away from ferry port. The owner went with us to get our car out of the car park and navigate back to the hotel - this was a huge help as driving around the old city's one way streets is complicated.

St Malo in July

Not applicable- there wereno bad points

Breakfast excellent Location excellent Staff were so helpful- they ran after me for 5mins to give me back my credit card tgat i left behind Onanother trip they helped me load my car with suitcases Super people - thank you very much for all your help I will definitely be back

St Malo
    • Club Room

Fantastic location it was our last stopover in France. Staff more than helpful the owner did everything possible to make our stay memorable. My only criticism is you need to put on your website for this hotel that you need to advise customers to book car parking. The hotel only has 5 spaces and parking outside the walls can be expensive. I would recommend this hotel tell and would return myself.

A real find

Lovely hotel in an excellent location in the old town. Lots of amenities close at hand. The owners were absolutely lovely and extremely helpful. Would have not hesitation in booking this hotel again.

Excellent location, lovely owners/staff, very clean and modern.
    • Individual Room

The rooms are a little small but I recognize that it is in the old town so space is at a premium.

The staff are lovely. The room was very clean and quiet and the bed was ver comfortable. Excellent location! Very appealing entrance/common areas. I did not eat there but the breakfast looked like it would be good. Loved the big towels!

Lovely hotel to stay for our one night, highly recommended, great location and great breakfast
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

The room was lovely, with a small balcony overlooking the beautiful old fish market square. No coffee or tea making facilities but that was fine as the breakfast served e very need and was exceptional. Marc the owner could not have been more helpful with recommendations and helpful advice.

Great location, good breakfast and really spotty wifi
    • Individual Room

The wifi, although complimentary, was almost unusable anywhere else other than the lobby area. I barely had any network in my room and my colleagues staying on other floors had the same experience. We all had to go down to the lobby to work if we needed an internet connection. Also, it is important to call the reception and inform them of a late check-in in order to get your passcode for entering the hotel once the reception desk is closed.

The Hotel is located very close to the main gate of the Old Town (Intra Muros), hence it was a fantastic location for attending a conference at the nearby Palais du Grand Large. There are lots of good restaurants, bars, shopping areas all around the hotel. The ferry port is within walking distance too. The staff was very friendly and supportive. They were able to communicate in English fairly well as I was unfortunately not at all ready with my French. They helped me a lot in coordinating the delivery of my delayed luggage with the airlines. The breakfast is quite good with fresh bread, deli meat, and exceptional coffee, although it is a little expensive if it's not included in your room rent.

We’ve stayed there before as it’s so handy for the ferry.
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

The bed had a protective plastic sheet underneath the bottom sheet and I woke up drenched with sweat. Must remember to remove it if I stay there again.

Really great
    • Club Room

Ai like the Location and the accommodation and service and breakfast

I always stay here as it meets all my expectations and I hav knowingly given it top marks in all categories because I thoroughly recommend it

Enjoyed our stay .
    • Club Room

Wi-Fi terrible in room. Excellent in reception area but inconvenient to use. Toilet tiny. No comfortable seating in room mostly because it was one of the smallest and least costly available. Elevator small and cramped but nevertheless a great asset.

Great breakfast, excellent location, great/friendly/helpful staff.

• Individual Room

I booked and was called by the hotel 15 minutes later that they had quoted the wrong price. I was then contacted 3 times by booking.com I almost booked a ferry between booking and the calls coming in. No offer made re their mistake. I’ve since stayed in St Malo twice and booked other hotels.

Hosts particularly attentive to disabled husband and me which took so much stress out of the stay.

What's not to like.....

The hosts couldn't have been more helpful - valet parked the car, gave us useful advice, got up early to prepare us a lovely fresh breakfast. Comfy beds and lovely fresh sheets. Easy location to find, surrounded by bars and restaurants.

A lovely hotel in the middle of the Old Town run by Marc and...
    • Club Room

A lovely hotel in the middle of the Old Town run by Marc and Catherine who were both friendly and helpful. We liked everything about this hotel and would definitely stay there again if we were lucky enough to return to St Malo.

well located. Friendly staff
    • Club Room

small rooms but you cant have everything

The owners were very friendly and spoke good English to make up for our poor French. A quiet hotel well located in the Intramuos section of St Malo, a short taxi ride from the ferry terminal.

Receptionist very helpful as difficulty finding property and...
    • Club Room

Said it had parking but on arrival was "full" so then had to park in public spaces although this is free overnight before 9am it seems Very small bed and pillows poor Shower head leaked badly

Receptionist very helpful as difficulty finding property and we arrived later than planned Once there though it is close to everything Bathroom and toilet clean

French trip

Outside noise very loud and carried on to early hours of morning .the rooms were not correct for occupancy intended -couple given a single room , single person asked to move room and one room not ready at 3pm -even though we were told to arrive at this time.

The location of the hotel was superb . Rooms were small but cosy.

Ok for one night but we will choose another hotel if we return to St Malo.
    • Club Room

The room and the corridor outside the room smelt of stale cigarettes. Toilet was very small and was a tight squeeze to get in!

Staff were friendly and helpful. Location was central.

Excellent place and friendly staff. Also it is located at the center of St. Malo's old city.
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

Maybe leaving too soon. we could have stayed longer maybe a couple of days more.

The place is at the Center of the old town of St. Malo at the walled city. It is cozy, the room is nice overlooking the street. The bed has clean sheets and the towels too are smelling fresh and clean. The breakfast is good, buffet with lots of choices. The staff of the hotel are friendly and helpful. Mark, the manager is the guy who can help you with everything you need including bits of information about St. Malo and nearby areas where to go you can go. Overall, this hotel and their staff is superb! I will definitely recommend this one.

Adequate
    • Superior Room

We booked a twin room. It was small and only one bed was made up. Cobsidered the owner to be rude when we asked for bedding for second bed. Grout in bathroom mouldy. Bath slippy and hard to get out safely. Tv could only be viewed from one bed. Small room. No light at dressing table to use mirror. Was allegedly superior room...would hate to see basic

The owners were helpful with directions

Marc and Catherine were really helpful and friendly.
    • Individual Room

Marc and Catherine were really helpful and friendly. They were very welcoming and helped me by storing my luggage prior to checking in and also finding space to store my bike securely overnight.

Nice in cooler months?

No ventilation, weak wifi

All great except no ventilation of any kind. Windows open not an option because of the noisy people in the street even to 4am. Not even a fan! J would return except for this problem. A simple fan in the room would have made a big difference.

Great staff and location. Room itself could be better.
    • Club Room

Our room was room 401. Extremely noisy room and not sound proof at all. We could hear other doors in the hotel slamming and rooms above and next to us. The bed was a very small double bed. Matress was quite a few years old and too hard. The toilet was so small you could barely take down your pants to sit. Very warm night too and window can hardly open enough to make a difference.

Friendly staff, great location. Very nice interior and great breakfast option.

Nice location, let down slightly by facilities.
    • Family Suite

Our bed was a double and we found it a bit small. The sound insulation in the rooms isn't great and we could hear the guests upstairs return late at night. The hotel was advertised as having parking, however, this turned out to be using the local car park about a 5 minute walk away, outside the city walls, which I could have paid less for and used myself!

I liked the two rooms in the cabin we booked, 2 single beds for our daughters and a double bed for us, plus toilets and bathrooms in both rooms. The location is superb and is in the heart of Old Saint Malo, surrounded by cafes and restaurants. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice of cereal and breads, cheese, cold meat etc.

A great base to discover St Malo
    • Family Suite

The second room in the family suite had a very small toilet and shower room. It was fine for us as only our son was using it.

Very comfortable family suite, bright with large windows, super comfortable king size bed in one and double bed in the other. The owners were very friendly, and we were glad to have pre-booked secure parking nearby as parking in St Malo is a challenge. Very pleasant breakfast with fresh pastries and pancakes each day. Walking distance to everything in the old town, plenty of restaurants and bars within a few metres (but not noisy).

I would like to visit St-Malo again but with a different hotel and different weather
    • Club Room

The size, interior design, and furniture in the rooms make it more as a two stars hotel. Also, the internet did not work on the forth floor, and it was very slow even in the lobby. The room that I was given faced a grim courtyard. I trusted the rating of the hotel on the website but it did not correspond to the actual picture. The normal clients are elderly British or German tourists who probably highly appreciate the elevator but do not need much either internet or cheerful setting.

An excellent location and a friendly family running the hotel; a fresh and versatile breakfast with good quality coffee

Great location and good accomodation for a one-night stay
    • Club Room

The room was a tight environment and would provide serious problems for larger people, especially the loo and the shower room

The service at breakfast was speedy and efficient; it needed to be because there was limited seating space. The food choice was varied and comprehensive

Large room.
    • Individual Room

Large room. Located in the heart of saint Malo indeed, inside the castle, surprisingly quiet though. Good price among nearby hotels. Good wifi, no problem even for YouTube. Croissant is among the best ones I had. Would stay again if I have the chance.

Great place, fantastic hotel.

Nothing comes to mind.

The breakfast was amazing, great variety and superb fresh bread, pancakes and croissants. The staff are all very helpful and friendly. Probably the ideal location in a beautiful city. Having arrived on the overnight ferry it was great to be able to leave our bags before check in.

Great stay in InterMuros
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

Web Site and information on Booking said Breakfast was from 7.30 a.m On arrival we were told that weekend breakfast was from 8.00 a.m. we needed to leave by 8am o breakfast was available for us at 7.30. Information needs to be updated.

Breakfast was good, coffee excellent. Welcome good. Room was very acceptable and bathroom well equipped.

I was very happy with my stay very good base
    • Superior Room

A can not find fault with anything With the hotel the room the breakfast All 10- out of 10.

I slept very well mostly apart from one night because of music quite near But nothing to do with the hotel not there fault The breakfast I cannot find fault very good value.

Brilliant Hotel
    • Family Suite

The individuals running the hotel were incredibly helpful and friendly. The room was beautiful and very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. I can't fault this hotel, and will using it as my hotel every stay in St Malo.

Excellent quality at a reasonable price
    • Club Room

A charming small hotel with welcoming and friendly owners/staff. The common areas are tastefully decorated, as are the rooms (clean, simple, calm, and modern with all necessary amenities). Ideal location. Good breakfast with a nice variety of breads and some local specialties. All in all, an extremely pleasant stay. I would definitely return.

Cyclists, tourists... This is the place to stay!
    • Club Room

We liked the decor of the room and the ambiance of the hotel. It is located in the heart of the charming old area of town with plenty of nice shops and restaurants nearby. It was the ending point for a bike tour through France so the class and comfort of the room was truly appreciated. The owner went out of his way to help us unload and store our bikes securely. Travelling with bicycles is not always easy, but thanks to the owner, it was a breeze. In the morning, the ferry to the UK was only a short ride away. We wanted to extend our stay for an additional night but the hotel is so popular, sadly it was fully booked. We'll just have to come back again. We didn't have a chance to try the morning buffet breakfast, but it looked good. Next time...

A great place to stay.
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

The owner was very helpful , gave us a map and spent time marking the best places to eat. On our departure he even brought our car from the parking bay and parked outside the hotel for us to load up. Will go back.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

another wonderful stay

nothing to dislike

as always the staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was to much trouble breakfast was excellent and the hosts as always charming and kind ,able to leave cases safe on leaving so we could spend time around st Malo before sailing that evening would recommend anyone to stay

Rude and noisy hotel
    • Club Room

Really rude personnel for both check in and check out. Acutually told us that it was because we booked with booking... Room small and noisy. Could hear everything from our floor and the one above us.

All well and good we shall definitely use again when ferrying to St. Malo.
    • Superior Room

Owners were extremely helpful to us and our son and lady friend who had also booked in. Ideal hotel for the weekend Brittany ferry trip. Access system was excellent with key code if late in.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

nice hotel good locations
    • Club Room

not that I didnt like but I think you advertise a small double for 2 people - the hotel treat it as a single room and charge extra for the additional person

location - very central

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Great base for a break !
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

Booking.com sent us a misleading email. We requested an extra night's stay, 6 nights not 5. Booking.com emailed us to say that there was no charge for this request. Great ! BUT we had to pay the full cost for the extra night; it was only the alteration that was FREE !! Not the fault of the hotel, who were very sympathetic.

Breakfast buffet was excellent.

Perfect place
    • Club Room

The place is wonderful , really clean and well maintained. The people in charge are really nice (maybe too nice for our days) and they speak very well English and German (and french of course) The rooms are clean, decorated with taste and the beds are really cozy.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Better hotels in the same area
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

On arrival , first room we were given room 101, dog smell in the room. Out of ten couples using the hotel , eight of them had a dog . For an extra 8 euros you could stay in a better dog free hotel in the same area!

The breakfast was very good, plenty of selection .

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

A little disappointed..
    • Club Room

The shower was very dark..no light over and the shower curtain was black so no light coming in from bathroom, also large corner broken on the mirror, and room dark as only small lamps but no central light. Still good and have been staying here for many years 😊

Always a friendly welcome, and warm cosy atmosphere in a great location

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Very comfotable Hotel in an excellent location
    • Superior Room

The receptionist was so friendly and helpful. The room was immaculate and the bed was very comfy. Just a short stroll to all the restaurants and sights. Would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Perfect overnighter in St Malo!
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

Just a 1 night stay before morning ferry. Perfect situation in Intra Muros and our room overlooked the pretty square. Very helpful staff and excellent choice at breakfast.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Beautiful city full of charm.
    • Club Room

No tea or coffee making fascilities in the room. Car parking was expensive!

The location was wonderful. The old town was fascinating and the choice of restaurants was excellent.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

The perfect place to stay to enjoy the best of St Malo

Everything is wonderful.

We travel to St Malo for a break almost every year and love to stay at Bristol Union. It is right in the heart of the beautiful walled city, a heartbeat from excellent restaurants, super comfy and excellent value! We will no doubt be back again!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Disappointment - a first from Booking,com
    • Individual Room

The lock to my original room was impossible to use. I changed rooms only to experience a similar situation snd decided to change hotels. I found the receptionist quite rude from checking in to the final check out.

Not much overall

Great location, friendly staff, fabulous family suite

We liked everything.

Great location, friendly staff, fabulous family suite

Room was small but good facilities.

Bed was a little hard.

Room was small but good facilities. Breakfast was lovely.

The staff are very kind and helpful.
    • Club Room

The staff are very kind and helpful. The location is great, right in the center.

Great place to stay - would stay here again
    • Club Room

Room was a little dark but comfortable

Great breakfast, very helpful and friendly staff

This was our third visit and again a very enjoyable one.
    • Club Room

This was our third visit and again a very enjoyable one. Location and staff excellent, great value for money and we will come again!

Great welcoming team

Great location Friendly staff

Good location, perfect family room.
    • Family Suite

Good location, perfect family room.

Owners breakfast and locality

Bath cabin is to small

Staff, location, breakfast

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

• Superior Room

We loved our stay in Saint Malo. So happy we chose to stay within the walls. Beautiful!
    • Club Room

Excellent, helpful and caring staff! Great location!

I suggest my friends to go to St. Malo at Britol Hotel

The price

Crepes, breakfast, room...everything.

Pleasant short stay in a good locality to explore St Malo on foot

There was no room safe and the shower room was very cramped

The owners made us feel at home and ensured we were comfortable and had what we needed

Good location, very kind staff, easy parking

Carpet wasn’t clean.

Good location, very kind staff, easy parking

Enjoyable stay intra-Muros. Great for the ferry about 2 mins away.
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

Wifi not good on top floor.

Great location, breakfast & staff. They were good with our dog.

The down side of my trip St. Malo
    • Club Room

Poor wifi, noise of running water pipes in the room throoiughout the night. no means to make a ot drink in the room.

position

Very helpful and kind staff.
    • Club Room

Very helpful and kind staff.

Very pleasant and convenient.
    • Club Room

Toilet separate from bathroom. But no big deal.

The location was fantastic. Breakfast was yummy.

Great location, exceptional staff.

Great location, exceptional staff. Very comfortable.

Easy to get to from train & bus. Grocery store, restaurants, beaches, trails all close by.

location. Decor. Friendly staff

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Pretty basic but good value for money
    • Club Room

No view. Room very small and basic

Great location. Clean. Everything I needed.

The staff was very welcoming and friendly.
    • Club Room

The staff was very welcoming and friendly.

Loved St Malo and the Hotel Bristol Union. The manager was particularly friendly and helpful.
    • Special Offer Breakfast Included - Superior Room

Great management and staff, location and breakfast. Would definitely stay again.

Situation, confort, décoration

Situation, confort, décoration

Trip to St. Malo.
    • Individual Room

No on site parking. About €12 a day for parking.

Great location. Very friendly staff. Reasonably priced. Definitely recommended!