Reviews of Hôtel California Champs Elysées 4 stars

16 rue de Berri, 8th arr., 75008 Paris, France

#638 of 1,578 hotels in Paris

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast is expensive for the price considering it is self-service; there was less range than might be expected and the coffee was not particularly good.

Rooms are large for Paris, bed was very comfy and it was clean with excellent service.

• Family Room

Also there were strange rules in room service where they charge 4 Euro to borrow a spoon - I felt that was unnecessary given the money they charge. Also the gym was quite average.

although location of hotel is great, I felt it was a little over priced. Plus the hotel staff were not so well versed in English as I expected for a 5* hotel.

• Deluxe Double Room

It said room had a terrace over looking outside. That was false advertising.

Very well located. Plenty to do in the neighborhood. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, yet discreet. The Sunday brunch with champagne was excellent.

• Family Room

Beds were very comfortable and the room was spacious. The staff were friendly and accommodating. We were able to store things in the mini fridge. Conveniently located off of Champs Elysses and near the Arc de Triumph. We took the Big Bus on the first day where the stop was not far from the hotel.

• Classic Double Room

The breakfast was not up to standard, cold and very little choice, toaster didn’t work . Have stayed here a couple of times before but would not stay again.

Position

• Deluxe Double Room

I had an amazing experience as I was only staying for 1 night in Paris on a business trip. I had a deluxe room booked but was pleasantly surprised to find that my room was upgraded for my 1 night stay into the presidential duplex suite. Needless to say, it was amazing very luxurious and spacious. In addition the staff were very helpful and friendly to deal with. Most of them spoke very good English. The location was amazing. Overall a 10/10 for me aside from the breakfast (7/10).

• Deluxe Double Room

They charge money for each request ( I asked for a spoon and they made me pay 5 euro for each ! ) , also for 2 days they don’t give you tissues and they tell you you to use the ones in the toilet , to sum up , they do everything to take extra money from you without telling you until you check out

• Deluxe Double Room

Refrigerator was impaired, no facility, Noisy street , all noise polution transmitted to room, construction next to the hotel with its noises.

Poor facility, very noisy room, no sound proof Windows, old system, not worth the money

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I asked for a normal taxi one day before departure. And i insisted that i would be getting a normal taxi. I was shocked that i was imposed on the minute i had to leave for the airport that the hotel had booked a mor expensive HOTEL taxim

Location of hotel

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast could of been a little better, just had scrambled eggs. But that is a nice to have, everything else spot on.

From arrival to departure,could not fault the process. Very professional and extremely welcoming staff, I was initially a little worried as I only knew few words of French. Most staff that I spoke to knew English fluently.

• Deluxe Double Room

Internet was not stable “Only” while I’m in the bed in my room. Otherwise it was good everywhere else I sat during my stay.

Location, steps from the Champs-Élysées Cleanness Quiet for some rooms that are not next to the street Nice breakfast Nice staff Best of all, toilets are made easy for Muslims. Shattaf next to the WC.

• Deluxe Double Room

I got the two single beds joined together to form a double bed. You can always feel the divide between them no mater what.

Close to the Champs Elysées and its shops.

the room was clean but some parts of the wall were rotten

strategic location, very close to the landmark of Paris. The breakfast was fair but the waitress were all helpful to provide additional hot beverages

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing..I am fully satisfied by their services

Staying there is always like home and the staff is very friendly and helpful and of course excellent location. The hotel has an old world elegant charm with modern amenities. I had been staying there since ten years now and could not think of any other option than this my favourite hotel

Very positive : the room, the service, the facilities, the location, the bar However, we did not have cold water the first two days (so no showser) Problem was solved the third day)

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I’m still waiting for them to give me my money they have on hold such con artist I paid for my room of £419 and then they hold £443 which I’m still waiting for them to put in my bank account . Such con artists I’m actually so angry with them not saying sorry to me and leave me waiting for them to give my money . Don’t go here it is not worth 4 star rating .

Breakfast was very good, staff is kindly and friendly. They answered every question we asked and they help us a lot. Rooms are very comfortable and wifi is fast enough. Location: hotel is 2 minutes walk from Champs Elysses

• Classic Double Room

There was loud music playing in the room next door to mine at 11.30pm. It was so loud and the room was connected by a lock door which was paper thin. I would not have been able to sleep at all. Surely there are noise restrictions after a certain time? Stuff moved me to another room after my second complaint. In addition the hot water didn't get that hot in the shower or sink.

The staff were helpful when I asked to move rooms due to noise in the room next door. They were friendly on my arrival.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bathroom... a tiny bath and a really shallow shower tray which meant it flooded after about 3 minutes.

Excellent location, very comfortable bed. Staff were very helpful and spoke excellent English...

nothing to mention

it was a very good hotel , the recieptionest speaks my language , they were very helpful and we enjoy our stays in the hotel , my number #1 choice in Paris

Rooms & the hotel doesn't have a proper maintenance. My bathroom was not working when I arrived so I have to wait to next day to be fixed.They didn't change the room even though there are some vacancies

nothing at all

big thanks to Joseph ,Farid and Mamado , my warm regards to them they were helpful , pleasant to help and always recommend the right things for their guests me and my family like this hotel because of the kindness of it is staff and it is very near to chaps-eleysee sure i will stay here for the next visit to Paris and yes this hotel is highly recommended

• Duplex Suite

I stayed a couple of times before in this hotel guest rooms were well maintain, but my duplex suite this time is aging and it needs refurbishment.

Friendly and professional staff in all sections. However Radwan from front desk was remarkable.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

A totally unprofessional staff Hotel smells very bad , cuz of old and wet carpets , had to change my room twice If u wanna have a cap .. u better do it urself I missed the train to Switzerland because of poor arrangement from hotel side with no appropriate apology Won't visit such a low class hotel !

Location was excellent

• Family Room

Small petty things but nothing that would ruin our holiday.

The location was pretty much central to everything (metro, shops, laundromat, pubs/restaurants, etc) and going to different tourist spots is really easy using the metro. We didn't feel unsafe while going through different streets as they are well lit at night. The complimentary mobile phone was an excellent tool for us to use instead of using our own mobile phone (which we get charged with roaming charges). It has really fast network and was so useful in finding our way around Paris.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Everything is bad in this hotel except location Staff not cooperative, room and corridors smelly, the bathroom ceiling was leaking, outdated hotel, they charged my credit card 2 times for my stay and they refund me after 3 weeks after my complaint email . There is boiling water machine but no tea or coffee?! I was cheated by the comments in the Booking.com about this hotel

• Duplex Suite

We booked a family suite, and it costed more than 800 a night had no A/C and broken. We could not switch room. Paris was 38C during that 3 days we visited. Then the wooden chair broke, my father hit his head and back, they offered us breakfast the next day and big fruit platter. I am just glad he did not get hurt. Overall the experience was very average. Hotel relationship manager has been great to offer us help but the facilities are old and cannot keep up with its price. Will not stay there again.

• Classic Double Room

Staff way of speaking, their was no air conditioning in my room, hat to speak with them several times to change the room, after changing the room the next room was also with bad air conditioning, so finally at the middle of the night i had to change my room for the third time

In the hotel acctually nothing

• Superior Double or Twin Room

fantastic stay.....the staff has been very helpful. there is a small and beautiful courtyard. the restaurant is also very good with good service. champs-elyees and metro is just within 1 min walk....

• Duplex Suite

It was so hot in our upper room (we paid extra for a duplex) that none of us could sleep up there. The bathroom which was upstairs was like a sauna without any bath or shower turned on. We complained several times but were not given another room or a discount. We only used half of the room (downstairs) with a family of 4 sleeping together on a pullout couch bed since it was too hot to sleep upstairs. One of my sons even slept on the floor! It made our experience very uncomfortable and no one at the front desk cared. I called many times, stopped by asking for a room change, so upset I was crying. DO NOT STAY HERE IF IT'S HOT WEATHER IN PARIS BECAUSE ALTHOUGH THEY ADVERTISE AIR CONDITIONING, IT DOES NOT WORK!

Bathroom was great with a nice shower and large tub. Bell staff was very friendly. They have a nice lounge / restaurant on site.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Classic Double Room

We are only just getting used to the fact that in France, you rarely if ever get offered a facecloth in the bathroom. Facecloths are provided in most hotels around the world. Finally went out and bought one to solve the problem. Otherwise thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the California Hotel.

This was the first we'd stayed in Paris to close to the main attractions, and we loved being able to walk to many of the sites we wanted to see. We had breakfast on the Champs Élysées each morning, walked to the Grand Palace for the Rodin exhibition, walked to the Tuileries and the Louvre etc. You see so many little extra slices of Parisian life this way. We asked for a quiet room and were rewarded by one the back of the building, looking out onto greenery. The room was compact though very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Family Room

We had issue with our toilet flush the first night but they didn't have maintenance personnel to fix it. They offered to move in different room but we were with our family and wanted to be on same floor. When asked they said someone will be there to fix it first thing in the morning at 7am so we decided to stay in our room. Morning we reminded them 4 times no one showed up until 11am. It was very frustrating. Also, another incidence happened. We had booked Rideaway from airport to hotel. We planned to go too palace of Versailes the sam day after checking in. We talked to the same driver and he agreed to take us of $120.00 round trip. So we asked him to wait. Upon checkin staff mentioned that they also have transportation available and it will cost $160. So we decided to go with the driver who brought us. We wanted to freshen up so we went to our rooms. Mean while my husband told them we will go with you guys and let other driver go. But I immediately went down to tell Staff not to make any change and let the other driver stay backs we committed to him first we will go with him. I got a call after few minutes in my room that we let other driver go and you can take our driver. I wasn't happy with this. They should have not interfered. Staff said we settled with him and took care of him. They should have not done that.

Very good Location, Staff was friendly. Hotel was clean.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Family Room

Wifi at the lobby only/ too much noise early morning from the bars near the hotel because the window is not sound proof

Near the champs elyse st only

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Internet was free but very, very slow. For faster internet you had to pay. I didn't like that. Also, 25 euros for an average breakfast display is too much money. Should be more reasonable.

Room was comfortable and quiet, and clean.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

I forgot my watch , when called to tell I forgot in bathroom, they said no watch was there , which I'm sure was there.

The location was very near the main Champselyees

nothing really

the staff especially the very kind receptionist who gave us early check in which is something very rare to happen in Paris at least from my experience with other hotels. The reception lady decided to give us the room because we were really tired from our long journey.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Check in , staff was aggressive , check out staff was okay. The hotel was not clean at all. It was an incedinet and the staff moved my room to a jenour suite. The Cheif refused in an aggressive way to help preparing a special order for my family as they are allergy from some items.

Only staff. Not even all.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was horriable. I did not had option to eat as i dont eat dairy food like cheese even after having package with breakfast was told if you want fried egg you have o be paid. Incase if i visit paris and stay there will not opt for breakfast.

Location is great and staff are helpful . Hotel is maintained very nicely and clean

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

We had the issue that the in room safe was not working from the very beginning. After we placed the same at the reception before the first night, it has not been resolved during our stay.

The desk personal was friendly and helpful. The American breakfast was good. Offer for a room breakfast service (surcharge) with more options than the general breakfast

• Family Room

We had another booking a few days later. We requested them to keep some of our luggage since we will be coming back 4 days later. They didn't accept our request.

Excellent breakfast. Friendly staff.

• Classic Double Room

The toilet was realy small, over weight people can not fit in it ( this is not a joke ). I talked with the reception because i have one friend i plane to come with and he is over weight, the told me to book rooms thats ends with 11. My room number was 529.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

We are frequent world travelers use to excellent services provided by esteemed hotels as California Hotel yet we were very disappointed that when we informed them that we had chosen their hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary they didn't offer us any complimentary services as other hotels.They listed charges to every service,we could chose to pay for.I think a small jest from the hotel could have gone a long way!!

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Family Room

I have asked for drop off and remind reception staff at 11 pm .my flight was 4 am and driver didn't show up and staff at reception had no clue but they were kind enough to arrange taxi.

Location staff behavior .water facility in the washroom

• Superior Double or Twin Room

It was quite costly and they didn't do anything nice or extra for our anniversary like I had asked! I mean a free coffee, rose petals or cheap bottle of champagne would have cost them next to nothing and made our stay that more special. They also did not honour the price from Booking.com- so be careful.

The location is great; walking distance to shops and restaurants! The staff all spoke English and were very helpful. The lobby was elegant, but the rooms a bit small and outdated.

• Deluxe Double Room

Based on price it wasn't worth €164 as you also had city tax on top wich comes to nearly €170 no parking had to pay an extra €30 for parking Iv definately stayed on better hotels with an suite for €100 max plus we had to buy everything on top breakfast lunch or dinner if they were included on that price I would say yes it would be worth it but it wasn't.

Was very close to city centre shops and attractions and eiffel tower

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Used to having super king bed to myself do bit cramped to share double with my husband

Looked like it had just been decorated, no dust or cobwebs anywhere.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Limited variety of TV channels; offer mainly aimed at an Arab audience.

1) Perfect location 2) Quality of the 2 connected rooms we booked 3) Tasteful breakfast 4) Quality and attractive appearance and design of the public spaces.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast was a little average for the luxury of the hotel. Eggs made to order, espresso included, would be the perfect touch ;)

We booked this last minute and couldn't have been happier! Would go back again and again - bed was super comfy and the pillows were amazing! Lots of space, plus wonderful staff - Loved our visit!

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room lacked some basic items such as slippers. Temperature control was a little fiddly and room kept getting too warm or too cold.

Location was excellent! Staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the receptionists and door men. Room size was quite decent for a centrally located hotel in Paris.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Being a family with a baby, we have requested a baby crib, it was dirty and not up to the hotel standard.

Perfect location, short walking distance to the Champs Elysees. Clean. Cheerful staff and special thanks to Aysha from the house keeping for her lovely spirit and smile. Receptionist at the check in time.

• Classic Double Room

The check in staff were very close to being rude. No charm at all. Felt like we were treated as a nuisance rather than valued guest. Kept waiting for 30 mins even though it was 4pm and we had been advised by booking.com we could check in early. Likewise check out was equally poor. Asked if we could check out late as advised by booking.com we could subject to availablity. When we requested this were told no message had been received, fair enough but the answer was still no until later I showed my booking.com email and then they said yes and we should have showed the email. Which made me feel they simply didn't believe me the first time I asked. Bottom line is for a 4star hotel I feel we were poorly treated. A pity as check in day was my Birthday and not even good wishes were forthcoming. Will find another hotel next time.

Location is great and the hotel is comfortable for a city break. Breakfast was fine, not great, eggs were cold but overall just about okay.

shower water adjustments can be improved with single adjustments. better air ventilation in toilets. non heated WC. bidet pressure was too high

spacious room sofa bed

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

They ask for deposite too much money as guarantee around 400€

Location Very very Helpful and friendly staff e.g Ayoub,Radhoun,Nabil and Farid. Thanks a lot to Radhoaun for extended our stay few hours before check out

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Expensive breakfast for what was available. But other than that a lovely hotel.

The bar and restaurant was comfortable although breakfast was expensive. Better to eat out.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Hotel took 1,000 Euro off our credit card at the beginning of our stay (as an imprint but it physically left our credit card). At the end of our stay, the hotel has charged us our full bill again instead of using the imprint money meaning we have effectively paid for the hotel twice. 3 days and counting after we have checked out and we are still waiting for the 1,000 euro imprint to be put back on our credit card.

Very friendly staff, lovely clean rooms. Buffet breakfast was great.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I had emailed the hotel prior saying it was my other halfs birthday and for them to organise something special for him (and i didnt mind paying!) nothing was organised, staff were not helpful. location wise it is great but thats about it. the rooms are really dated

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast could be improved to add more hot meal choices.

The best part of my stay was meeting a very friendly staff. He made me feel so welcomed & my stay was really a pleasant one.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Everything was exceptional apart from the fact the hotel dosnt have a price list in the room for the mini bar so just be careful as this did prove to be more expensive than what I thought it would be. Still this did not Hinder our lovely stay at the Hotel.

I decided to take my wife to Paris as a surprise trip and chose to stay at Hotel California. This was the best decision I made, the staff were friendly and the hotel was clean and comfy. The hotel were aware of our anniversary and surprised us with a free room upgrade which made our experience that extra bit special. Then we went up to our room to find fresh rose petals scattered all over our room with a teddy holding a card on the bed which read Happy Anniversary. Never have we felt so welcomed by a hotel before let alone in another country. The Hotel California team has given us memories to cherish for the rest of our lives, Thank you!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Refusal by staff to check me in till paying 100€ in cash deposit, didn't accept credit card payment . Power shut for over an hour, no apology given

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

The room was very small and facing an internal shaft which made it even more catastrophic. This was probably the smallest room I had every slept in. A little disappointing for a 4 star hotel.

This was our second time at this Hotel as the location is fantastic. Staff was also very helpful and room was given to us before 3pm

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Initially, we were booked into a room on the 6th floor. Location wasn't great - on the roof next to the aircon! Then, when we entered the room with our keycard, the previous occupant hadn't checked out yet! Suitcases, bed unmade, etc.. pretty bad show. Reception handled it well. They apologised profusely, and then gave us a free upgrade and a member of staff accompanied us to check the new room. No further problems, but that initial error was a bad one.

Location was great, hotel itself was great too. Staff friendly & professional.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The service was really terrible. The staff weren't friendly, we wanted to upgrade beds but they wouldn't help us, despite the fact that we were willing to pay more. Manager was very rude. I will not be coming back to this hotel nor will I recommend it.

• Family Room

The bathrooms are flooding the tv didn 't work always have to ask for reparation. And innovation in building next to hotel did not let us sleep. And rate of room was too high

Paris

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Had to request an iron as one not in room and had to request twice as took over 35 mins to arrive . Iron was faulty and ironing board was about 2 ft long to work on table too but kept collapsing ! Which was dangerous . For 4x did not supply water in room and charged 7 euros a bottle to make a drink with .. Very poor

Supposed to be superior room but very small. Bathroom was tiny and glass top on dresser was cracked with sharp edge

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The price was cheeper on the website. Plus the room wasnt the same as the one i booked so i had to upgrade. I had 2 problems which was the bed was broken and the shower, they said they have fixed it but its not.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

The arabic reception his name nader he is from eygpt no respect for gusts he was full of hates the franchise front desk girls feel shame from his bad wards

Rooms

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

They doubled charged me for the last day! They charged the Visa card when I arrived for a extra day that I added upon arrival! They never took it off the invoice and in fact added 500$+ to my invoice plus the 447$ they already charged my card! The staff was very good except for these errors!

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room is very small There is no many options in the brakfast

The staff is friendly, talking more than one language arabic, english & frinch The room is clean & decorated nicely The location is perfect a few mins to champ elsees .

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

Hotel gave us one of the rooms without air conditioning, and then they started to fix it. When they couldn't do anything they offered a 30% discount on that room.

Location is fantastic...

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The staff was not helpful for 6 days and did not fix the path rooms after 8 complaints and the managers refused to see to discuss my complain but after insisting he met me twice unless he knows why. The parking is very poor and the team is not organized every day during my stay I do self parking in the hote and they are charging a valet parking price. Last time to stay in this hotel

The location only.

• Deluxe Double Room

Given it's location, and it's name, I wasn't expecting a great hotel but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Everything,the lovely welcoming and hospitality

the hotel view

The problem is that no view and for the most important thing is the hotels views

• Deluxe Double Room

Lift did not work on last day

Great location. Very clean