Reviews of Hotel Cathédrale 3 stars

12-13, place de la Cathédrale, 67000 Strasbourg, France

#38 of 82 hotels in Strasbourg

• Double Room - Patio Side

Our room had a window that opened to inside stairs, so had to keep drapery closed at all times. Maids closet was outside our door, very noisy in am. Heavy footsteps above us constantly in evening. I think they may of had some nice rooms, but ours wasn't one of them. Our 3 night stay was a bit uncomfortable.

Good a/c.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Room 46 was very nice but quite small.

Amazing location overlooking the Cathedral. Aircon and drinks cooler were welcome in the hot weather. Friendly staff. Modern shower room

We asked for a 30 mins late check out and the receptionist refused

Perfect location right opposite the cathedral. Beautiful decoration. Nice bathroom although small. Has a place to leave the luggages after the check out

• Double Room - Patio Side

If you want to be in the middle of the city with short distances to most places to see, this is a good choice. Lot of restaurants only a few meter away, cathedral is 50 meters from the Hotel Entreance. (Be warned, it will ring, but thick walls at the Hotel, so unless you have the window open it´s not an issue.)

• Special Offer - Double Room

We took breakfast at 10 (bf until 10:30) but unfortunately many things weren’t replaced (ex scramble eggs)

Very nice hotel in front of the Cathédrale, fantastic view! Staff very friendly. Room confortable and clean.

• Triple Family Room

Water pressure very low. Very difficult to adjust temperature due to significant time lag between input and actual adjustment.

Amazing view of the cathedral from the room. Air conditioning. Lift and porter available. Strong WiFi in room. Very friendly staff.

• Double Room with Cathedral View

The beds were hard and you must climb a flight of stairs before getting to the elevator.

The location by the cathedral and plaza were great! It was close to excellent restaurants, shopping, and the origination point of our tour.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Only thing and of course not the fault of the hotel is the difficulty to find parking in this area. the most central place of Strasbourg with a lot of cafes, restos, and one needs to have in mind the parking budget when planning this.

Super satisfied by the location right across the Cathedral with great view. Room very clean and bed extra comfortable. Very nice breakfast with variety and top quality.

n/a

The hotel is located in real center and touristic place. Everything is very close and near by and can be reached easily. Room was very clean and all towels and bed linen etc. Also in the room hotel provided tea/coffee facilities. May be to add cream milk and some cookies for free will be better. Very helpful people on reception area.

• Special Offer - Double Room

That my stay had to end. I could have spent a few more days in this city and this hotel.

This hotel is at directly across from the Cathedrael. It is the best location for a short stay in Strasbourg if the old city is what you want to experience. It has the most incredible ambience and feeling about it. I loved it. The room was large, and had wood shutters that blocked out the light and any noise, so it was a great sleep.

• Special Offer - Double Room

A little on the pricey side but you’re paying for the location. And it’s worth it. Mini fridges in room don’t work.

Location can not be beat. Friendly staff. Overnight parking relatively close by. Great breakfast with a view of the cathedral. It’s our go to hotel every time we’re in Strasbourg.

• Double Room - Patio Side

Elevator started on 2nd floor-not the end of the world. Couldn’t open window in room due to pigeons....not sure what it would be like in heat of summer.

Location was perfect. Parking was a 10 min walk in safe, new parking garage. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Lots of restaurants nearby.

• Cosy Double Room

Cosy, home like, creative, with lots of small staircases - interesting. Clean and nice room. The windows were thick so the cathedral bells did not disturb me. I think the bells did not ring during night.

• Superior Apartment

My room was in another townhouse nearby. I list this here because having your breakfast involves walking a short distance outside, which in cold weather is a nuisance. The bathroom was a little chilly. Water leaked onto the floor when I was taking a shower.

Wonderful location, right next to the cathedral. Very good breakfast served in a pleasant hall with a view of the said cathedral. Spacious room with a small, modern kitchenette hidden in a closet. Bathroom came with both a tub and a shower stall. Large, comfortable bed.

• Double Room - Patio Side

My booking with hotel Cathedrale confirmed a room with a side patio. When I arrived, it was a small, basic room. I immediately voiced my concerns to the reception. He replied that a hotel room with a patio consists of the shared indoor starewell right outside our window. There is no natural ventillation in this room. Additionally, the starwell is adjacent to the room window, making residents quite vulnerable to anyone climbing right in! Never again.

• Double Room with Cathedral View

Everything was very good , location was great I had a window on the cathedral - view was amazing ! Room clean . Reception Stuff was really nice, kind and very helpful.

• Double Room - Patio Side

No light or air in the room - was told that it was the 'economy' option when I raised it as an issue. Still, when booking, the only description was 'patio side' as opposed to 'cathedral side', which for me implies a view, or at least a window. Clearly not every room can have that in this location, but some forewarning would have been appreciated.

Good, friendly staff and a great location

• Double Room - Patio Side

We had to ask for more tissues, replacement for the tea and coffee sachets provided in the room, and then, we ran out of toilet paper and had to ask for more. Everything was provided, but we did have to ask. We felt the front desk staff a bit unwelcoming when we came to them for assistance, as if it was not their job to deal with our requests.

The decoration of the hotel, in the hallways and in the rooms is great. We have stayed here before. It is well situated. We were a bit disappointed this time.

The flow of the breakfast area is awkward. Those waiting in line for coffee block one from getting a plate to serve oneself, for example. Additionally, though the coffee maker is of high quality, once it ran out of coffee. Then we went back later only to discover the milk had run out. Either it needs to be larger to suit the demand, or alternatively serviced more frequently.

Beautiful and surprising details featuring the Strasbourg cathedral theme such as embossed cathedral windows on the towels and etched onto the glasses. We had two rooms and each was unique and special in its own right--one with a Hogwarty attic look and one with a boutique artistic feel. Breakfast was generous and offered more than the usual breads and sliced meats/cheeses. There was even a machine to make fresh orange juice from sliced oranges. The views of the cathedral were enchanting and the morning bells were the perfect alarm clock.

• Cosy Double Room

The room was smelling really bad. At first we thought smell was only in bathroom but then we realized that it was also in the room. This was not pleasant at all. I don't think that is it worth for the money we gave. Seems like, renovation is necessary in some rooms.

The only good thing was the central location which was very convenient for Christmas season.

• Double Room - Patio Side

Running the breakfast buffet until 11 am would have been great.

The super modern bathroom and comfortable bed were excellent. The staff were extra friendly and when we discovered a problem with our room they were very accommodating and moved us to a new room immediately.

• Special Offer - Double Room

It was very difficult to get to our room with our luggage, we would not have booked it had we known we would struggle up 3 flights of stairs with 3 suitcase and a bag

Looks nice

• Double Room - Patio Side

Our room was at the patio side, meaning we did not have a window to see the sky or have an option to ventilate the room. It would also be useful to have coat hangers at the back of the room door.

The hotel is at the heart of the city. We were there to see the christmas markets. Although the hotel was next to the cathedral and the area was crowded with people, our room was very silent. Our room was small but we were not expecting a bigger one as the hotel was in an old building. The bathroom was newly renovated.

• Double Room - Patio Side

Patio rooms are small (that's okay) but they are really really hot, too much heating and there's no external window to open...

Location is great, rooms are clean

• Superior Apartment

The fact that we were in an apartment separate from the hotel, that we did not have a double bed but merely two singles pushed together, that we had a cleaning lady walk in on us on the second day, that our room was not cleaned on one day, that the staff at the hotel were very unhelpful and short with us.

The location in the cathedral square was excellent.

• Double Room - Patio Side

Staff on check out gave us misinformation about where to change money and we wanted to pay in cash but our credit card was charged without us being asked first... mix up as receptionist that checked us in was very relaxed and said we could pay cash checking out. Which was a bad ending to a great stay. He was also rude with zero people skills.

Rooms are small! And dark. But it’s very quaint and such an amazing location. Beautiful Strasbourg!

• Cosy Double Room

The staff was not the most welcoming, the room was lost somewhere after a real labyrinth, the t.v. was disconnected from power and cable so I had to do it on my own....finally I couldn't lock the room from the inside...

The location is excellent.

• Double Room with Cathedral View

Hôtel très cher pour ce que c'est! Très vieillot (avec les sèches-cheveux de 1920) et absolument pas orienté CLIENT. Personnel qui ne dit jamais bonjour à l'accueil et qui dérange le matin pour que la femme de ménage puisse faire la chambre à 11h00 (il me semblait avoir payé 580 euros pour 2 nuits pour que je puisse faire ma grasse mat' tranquille?!). Eau tiède (pas d'eau chaude) pendant tout le week end. Aucun bon sens et aucune sécurité dans le système de bagagerie. Pour ces raisons, nous ne recommandons pas cet hôtel.

L'hôtel est idéalement placé devant la cathédrale mais du coup très bruyant lors du marché de Noël (les chambres sont très mal isolées). Propre.

• Cosy Double Room

We should have been told that ALL THE ROADS TO THE HOTEL WERE CLOSED. We had to park a mile and a half away and drag our two bags and two dogs all that way. If we would have been told we would not have booked this hotel. Both YOU and the HOTEL failed us.

room and bed

• Special Offer - Double Room

the heating of the bathroom was difficult and the quality of the bath towel so very poor for a 3 stars hotel !

the location is very center and close to most nice things to visit and to shops

• Cosy Double Room

Our room overlooked the back courtyard which was adjecent to a restaurant. From 545am - 730am NON STOP delieveries. Including very noisy beer kegs. When we informed the front desk of the issue we were told we were "lying". Hotel was very pretty, clean and a great location but not worth it to be woken up at 545am! Also, when we arrived we were told we would have to pay for a larger family suite as our infant counted as a 3rd person and would be a "security concern". This was very suspect to me as the hotel knew upon our booking we were 2 adults and a baby. Bottom line: location cant be beat and rooms were small but nice however staff is so rude and inhospitable I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Superior Apartment

There was a dreadful mix-up with my booking when someone else with the same surname (not full name, just the surname) was given my room after we had checked in, but had left our luggage because the room wasn't yet available. Eventually the manager gave us another room but I was less than impressed.

The location couldn't be faulted

• Cosy Double Room

The lady receptionist could have been more approachable. Also, for some reason, they refused to let me use he elevator even though it was just one floor. I had a heavy luggage as I was traveling long distance and I had to get it down the stairs. They helped me get the luggage up the room, with a comment “this bag, you have been traveling the world”. It would have been a lot easier for them and me to simply use the elevator for convinience. The male receptionist was fantastic. Can’t recollect his name. :)

• Special Offer - Double Room

Took my payment from Visa card used for guarantee without my permission. This is unlawful for me and abuse of private information. I should have been asked how I would like to pay, cash, maestro or the another credit card. I was furious when I went to the reception to pay for my great weekend which was ruined for reasons I do not want explain by an arrogant manager making incorrect assumptions. They had no right to use my details without my authorisation. It was clear in the booking that I needed to give a credit card for the guarantee and I could settle at the hotel the payment. On arrival I suggested to pay but he insisted we could do it at checkout only to find that he deducted from my credit card before check out I am furious and the only thing they could say to justify wa to say it was a mistake when it was obvious it was standard practise by the manager. Very unhappy customer

Great value,comfort and location

• Double Room - Patio Side

I was not pleased with the room I was first given, terrible view and up a flight of stairs to bed with little head room, but the staff were able to switch my room on the second night and I was pleased with the second room

Great location, spotless

• Double Room with Cathedral View

we had to cancel our first booking because one of us had to go to hospital for surgery. I did not receive any credit for the first booking, paid the full price twice. we left a couple of clothing items at the hotel but we were not able to get them returned.

you could see the cathedral from our window and listen to the bells every morning, there are no cars in the area, except service cars, so it's good walking; the hotel is close to the boats that take tourists around the city and I very much recommend taking a boat tour.

• Special Offer - Double Room

breakfast buffet a little bit limited room at top level (room 60) relatively small and shower not practical for people longer than 1m50...

good quality, perfect location, nice staff, clean space

• Special Offer - Double Room

No lift from the ground floor, only from first floor level

Super location and good room size. Imaginative interior decor. Good variety for breakfast but nothing cooked.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Fabulous room, comfy beds. Easy to walk to after you park in parking garage. Great location and excellent breakfast. Would absolutely stay here again.

• Cosy Double Room

This was not my problem, but some people may find the sound of the bells from the church a bit too close, due to the location of the hotel. Also the elevator starts from the first floor, which might not be comfortable without the help of the staff.

The room was spacy and I had a view to the cathedral which was super. The inside of the hotel was a bit like a maze nicely decorated, fun to explore. Though the building itself was old, the facilities were new and clean, and amenities also pretty.

• Double Room - Patio Side

Well, a perfection rarely exists. Generally I would hold myself from writing letters home about breakfast. Already "blackened bananas" did not look appealing. Coffee from a type of a coffee machine for "masses" truly hated by me (btw did not suit to the rest of the hotel style and quality): sour and low quality.

Charming, nostalgic, very old house, a typical Alsacian "colombier" but with a modern twist reflecting the architect's creativity. Pleasant decor inside. Just great location with a fantastic view. The reception team and housekeeping lady very responding and pleasant to talk to. Special thanks to Antoine for meeting my request. Un grand merci. Quality bread and croissants for breakfast served in a room with a view!

• Double Room with Cathedral View

Access was a nightmare. We were not aware that the property is in a Car-Free zone. Circled the town center three times before parking and setting out on foot. Once registered, luggage needs to be manually taken up a twisting flight of steps to the elevator.

View of the Cathedral outside our window was spectacular. The breakfast buffet was good.

• Double Room - Patio Side

Even though it says "Parking available" on the Profile-Site, we were sent to a public parking-house which was a bit more costly. Still close to the site though.

Perfect location, nice interior and friendly staff. Comfortable beds as well.

• Special Offer - Double Room

staff is young and very friendly, they speak good english. the hotel and room are nicely designed. room and bathroom clean, bath/coffee/tee facilities provided. big and comfy bed. breakfast fresh and tasty with very good coffee.

• Double Room - Patio Side

-room location: we had to climb stairs, walk through a balcony (outside, thank God it wasnt raining!) on the inside of the building and some more stairs to go to our room. -bathroom: due to building and room structure, the room was not proportionate since there was not enough room to even sit properly on the toilet. The shower wall had black mold in between some tiles. -room comfort: almost no space. Just enough to fit the bed and the tv. -dust in random places in the room. No wonder given how the room is structured..

right next door to the cathedral, great location free and good coverage wifi

• Triple Family Room

They could have given us a better room. They gave us the attic room which was quite small for the three persons family. My husband was not pleased at all. He felt the pressure of the low ceiling in the attic. Although the design of the bathroom was very interesting, the wash basin was very wide and you have to lean forward to wash your face and you get wet. The cleaning was not very good. I scored excellent for the staff but for the reception staff not for the cleaning staff. They hang the foot towel side by side with the face towel and my daughter did not realize and used the foot towel. Moreover when I wanted to use the toilet brush I noticed that there was dirt on it probably left from the previous guests. So I did not use it at all. They could have been more careful. We didn't like the cleaning they did. Also the towels were not changed everyday. It would be good to be more careful about the cleaning.

The reception staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. We liked them. Location was perfect. Just in front of the Cathedral. Close to everywhere. It was nice to listen to the bells of the Cathedral. My daughter loved it.

• Special Offer - Double Room

Nothing at all to complain bout. Everything was just perfect

Location cannot be better. Incredible view of the Cathedrale right from your window. Breakfast was rich in variaty and fresh. The room was spacy and very nicely decorated. The staff was very helpful.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The lighting in the room wasnt the best and there was no plug near to a mirror for my hairdryer. Lift only from the first floor - staff did offer to help with luggage.

The room was a good size and the bed was comfortable. Staff were friendly. The breakfast was a great choice, fresh and plentiful.

• Superior Apartment

We were not aware that the hotel was full - our 2 bedrooms were outside the hotel The rooms were ok but dated. Very dusty not clean to a fresh standard. Did tell the staff so was better the next day . Very very hot rooms

Location was fab. Right in the centre

Staff was not particularly nice. Our room's window faced indoor stairs with people walking by sometimes, so we had to keep our curtains closed

Amazing location, comfortable rooms

• Double Room - Patio Side

Smallest hotel room I have stayed in this year! Only marginally bigger than the bed. The lift only starts on the first floor, and breakfast room has steps, so if you have mobility issues this isn't the place for you.

Delighted to find that the room had air conditioning which I hadn't seen on the website. I was provided with a free bottle of mineral water. The hotel is a few metres from the cathedral so the location is fantastic. Has an outdoor bike rack which is initially a bit worrisome for security, but the gate to the courtyard shared by the hotel and restaurant is locked overnight, so bikes are secure.

• Double Room - Patio Side

The access from the ground floor. There was no lift between the ground floor and first floor.

The location was great, right in front of the famous carhedral! The room was on the small side but well air-conditioned and comfortable. The bathroom was also on the small side but well designed and especially their shower was great. We also loved their full breakfast too.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The hotel is centrally located directly in front of the Cathedral. Its position and the possibility to leave the luggage in a storage room even after the check-out make this hotel a very good choice even if you're just staying over the weekend. The room was clean and spacious, and, although directly facing the Cathedral (what a view!) quite well sound isolated (not fully isolated though; if you are a light sleeper you should better ask for a room not facing the Cathedral). Good breakfast, OK WiFi. The parking garage Austerlitz (relatively cheap) is only a short 5 min walk from the hotel.

• Triple Family Room

No elevator from the from the lobby to the first level, but spiral staircase definitely added to the charm of the place.

Location of room. Ours faced the cathedral.

• Special Offer - Double Room

The room was quite small for a double room. Hardly any space to move. Parking and offloading of luggage was difficult. There was no help from the staff offered.

The location was really good. Breakfast was good and the breakfast room has cathedral view 😊.

• Double Room - Patio Side

Photos of the room we booked were completely misleading as the economy rooms had a window to the stairs where everybody walking the stairs could see you. After complaining stuff said "we cannot make photos of all the rooms", but they found it very convenient to simply put photos of a suite for all the rooms even if you are at the last step where you choose your room. Very bad way of thinking and handling the issue by stuff.

Nothing at all.

Location is awesome. Cathedral view room was great. Right in front of the cathedral. Staff is lovely, very helpful and friendly. They made my stay even better. I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. This hotel deserves a 10/10.

Nothing. All good.

We loved the location, the decor and the staff friendliness. Rooms were the same that was adversited in Booking.com. We stayed at the same hotel 4 yrs ago. We'll come back and recommend to our friends.

• Double Room - Patio Side

My room was on 2 floors. Open the door, climb one flight to the mezzanine room, and then climb one more flight to the main bedroom. The air conditioning doesn't reach the main bedroom floor. You have to use a fan.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Double Room - Patio Side

Parking is a bit of a problem; but that's a factor of having an older hotel in the center of the city. Underground public parking is expensive.

Vintage charm...older building with unique features. Helpful staff and excellent location.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Cosy Double Room

Although the rooms were clean, extremely tiny. Room was very stuffy and air conditioner very inadequate. Staff seemed bothered.

Location was spectacular

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Cosy Double Room

Because of the many cafes, it could be loud at night and although there is a parking garage close by it cost me 84€ for 2 days!

Location, location, location. Right on the square my room overlooked the cathedral and the many cafes and shops near by. This was an excellent base for exploring Strasbourg. The hotel was clean, comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and accomodaribg6.

• Triple Family Room

We booked a triple room for 3 people but only supplied essentials for 2. However once we contacted reception they were very prompt in bringing what we needed .

Great location. Comfortable room and very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Special Offer - Double Room

Very nice and charming room. Great location in front of the cathedrale. Amazing view. Clean and cosy. From my/ our (travelled with 8yo daughter) point of view a perfect stay.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Double Room - Patio Side

It was the smallest room on our trip and it had 2 windows: one that looked into a stairwell in the hotel, so the curtain always had to be closed and the other window looked into a small concrete space, but did get natural light

Location was incredible, right in the plaza for the Cathedral. Everything was clean. It was centrally located and easy to pop back into the hotel for a bathroom or a break. Very affordable.

The only problem we had it were the stairs those mym mom should go, and she has problems with legs. and the parking was a little far away (a bit uncomfortable for persons with disabilities.. Otherwise super Location, good equipped, fantastic view on the Cathedrale!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Cosy Double Room

We had the cathedral view room, which tiny window just allows a glimpse on the opposite building what was nice but definitely not a cathedral.

Perfect location. Old style authentic building. Great restaurants just around the corner.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Double Room - Patio Side

The view from the window was inside the hotel, on a stair used by other guests to reach their rooms. No view of outside and very noisy. The room was ready only at 14:00..very late!!

Excellent location

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

had a room at the front of the hotel. Outside early in the morning the rubbish bins were emptied and the deliveries for restaurants arrived about 7am every morning.

loved the location

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Double Room - Patio Side

I called the hotel to ask for a room and they told me that they only had rooms at 175 dollars, I told them it was too expensive for me. Then I checked on booking.com and got a room at 75 dollars in the same hotel. I asked the woman at the desk. She said: oh yeah, I was only talking about the best bedrooms that we have but we have other options.... so in conclusion I felt that the hotel was not honest with their clients and was only trying to make money.

The location is good

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Double Room - Patio Side

The price of the breakfasts - very expensive. The local cafes are much cheaper. Important to make yourself familiar with the fire escape route from your room as, although marked, they are not altogether obvious. Hopefully not needed either! Would have liked more than one chair in our room, and a little more comfortable. The bar is very small and tucked under the stairs and did not feel an inviting place to sit and rest after sightseeing, so a comfy chair in the bedroom would be nice.

The location right next to the cathedral and waking up to the bells each morning (they are silent overnight). Also close to shops, museums, the river, cafes and restaurants and train station. All easily accessible on foot on quiet pedestrianised streets. Our room which was on two floors and spacious, although it would not be suitable for anyone who can't manage (lots of) stairs.

• Cosy Double Room

The windows leading to the street should be triple glazed as it is no fun waking up at 6 every morning with banging of the garbage disposal van followed by racket by delivery services. With windows shut, all the noise felt nevertheless as if there were wide open. (The cathedral bells start chiming only at 7.)

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Double Room - Patio Side

The room was small and the bed and pillows were not too comfortable. Also, you have to carry your bags a flight of stairs (luckily a staff member was on his way up and without me asking for help he carried my bags up the stairs). Parking is not available on-site, we paid 26 euro per day at a public parking garage over Christmas.

The location was excellent, right across the Notre-Dame Cathedral. Very charming, unusually decorated small hotel. It fitted perfectly with the old world charm of Strasbourg.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Double Room with Cathedral View

Understaffed & expensive for anything except the location (which is amazingly perfect) but the lack of services and assistance means I'll be looking for another place to stay in Strasbourg. Sad.

The location & view. First stayed here in 1992 & came back often.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Triple Family Room

Hotel is a labrynth of walkways and lots of steps. Our room was two story. Dont bring many bags. parking is near impossible close by so be prepared to walk long distances, in our case 2 Klms to public parking near the University.

right on the main square, sure is funky place, not so sure about Cathederale views from every room.