Reviews of Inter-Hotel Amboise Chaptal 2 stars

13 rue Chaptal, 37400 Amboise, France

#17 of 20 hotels in Amboise

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Perfect location in a quiet street, but a minute's walk...
    • Superior Twin Room

Perfect location in a quiet street, but a minute's walk from the castle. Very good breakfast. Free parking very close. Helpful staff. A comfy and nice renovated room. It's a pity we only stayed for one night.

Find a parking space first!
    • Budget Double Room

No parking facilities and finding a space and lugging cases to and fro.wouldn’t be to everyone’s choice. It’s a beautiful town but the traffic is continuous. Still enjoyed it.

A nice hotel near to the centre and the Loire.

Great location steps from the main walk street.
    • Budget Double Room

Bathroom and especially the shower were just too small (and we’re not that large. Workable with the shower door open!

Great location steps from the main walk street. Free parking a couple blocks away was workable but often full and we were not in the high season.

I could not leave through reception before 8 AM and had to...
    • Comfort Quadruple Room

I could not leave through reception before 8 AM and had to leave through the night door. And I was not told where to leave the key, so I left it on the floor by the breakfast door.

Great place to stay in Amboise.
    • Comfort Triple Room

Room was on the small side for 3 people, but I think you can get bigger rooms if you pay more.

Location excellent, staff friendly. Very clean rooms. Good air con. Big secure storage room for bikes if you need. You can have breakfast for an extra cost, which we didn't try.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

An excellent place to stay for visiting Amboise.
    • Budget Double Room

We had to park about 5 minutes away. Would have preferred something we could reserve a bit nearer but do understand that this is not always possible when a hotel is in town.

The hotel is in a good location for all the attractions around Amboise. The staff were very welcoming. The room was air-conditioned and had an excellent shower. It was not huge but had everything we needed. There was plenty of choice at breakfast and again staff were friendly.

Excellent stay wit small clean rooms and excellent service and location.

Smallish rooms but this was what was expected based upon the description and it worked well to be so close to the castle and main city area for walking and shopping.

Very simple set up but edcellen5 ervice and very clean and tidy. I like the personalized service and attention to details. Staff was helpful with checking in, luggage and where to park as well.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Nice bed,car parking very convenient and close to the city,...
    • Comfort Double Room

Not enough tea or coffee in the room and no small towels only large ones . Chef could do with a clean uniform.

Nice bed,car parking very convenient and close to the city, nice walk,

Perfect for cyclists doing Loire a Velo
    • Budget Double Room

We were cycling the Loire a Velo route from Orleans to the Atlantic and this hotel is brilliant for cyclists. Really helpful staff and good breakfast.

A good well priced city hotel
    • Standard Quadruple Room

There is no lift due to the nature of the hotel (2-3 houses connected together) and when you need to reach the room on the last floor with heavy suitcases it requires extra effort! Thin walls. You could hear your neighbours if they are noisy.

Conveniently placed near the main attraction in the town. Basic but relatively new and well maintained facilities. Well priced. Very good service at the reception! A good place for a short stay without bells and whistles""

Tidy place, just felt a little impersonal and a little unhelpful
    • Budget Double Room

Quite a few stairs to lug suitcases up stairs and along the hallway to our room near the end of that hallway (small up and down stairs, half way along the hallway. No place to have our own breakfast, if not having their breakfast option.

Comfortable smart room, in handy location to the small town of Amboise

Okay for a couple nights
    • Economy Twin Room

Walls paper thin and we could hear someone snoring the whole night in the room next door, also they took money out of my account twice (once for deposit befor arrival) and it still has not been replaced (maybe my bank is just slow but this is annoying)

Simple clean room, good location, both girls at reception very nice and helpful and let us use printer

Modern, clean, comfortable and staff eager to assist in every way. Breakfast delicious.

The hotel was within walking distance of everything. Parking nearby and convenient. Staff were very helpful with advice of where and what to see. Breakfast was delicious and again staff were eager to please. The room was compact but very clean and had everything that ensured an enjoyable stay.

Practically perfect in every way!
    • Budget Double Room

We liked just about everything. It was excellent value for money! Helpful staff let us leave our bikes in the storage area before check-in time. The room was lovely. Much bigger than expected and with air conditioning! Wonderful choice at breakfast.

The accommodation is ideally located, neat and comfy. The facilities need attention.
    • Comfort Quadruple Room

Kitchen closed at night with no access. Hairdryer was not working. Not enough cups, milk or coffee / tea left in rooms for each person's use.

Ideal location, clean and comfy!

very clean and well maintained rooms (fresh and light color...

nothing really. we just love this hotel!

very clean and well maintained rooms (fresh and light color scheme), good size bathroom, comfortable beds, free coffee in room, big windows, smiling and informative staff. They provided everything listed in their room inclusion list. A lot of thought and care went in to the way they presented the room to their guests. Great location! very convenient, walking distance to shops and main attractions and main avenue. Fantastic hotel! (they deserve more than two-star rating). Highly recommended! Will definitely stay here again given the chance.

This was a great base from which to explore Amboise and the surrounding area.
    • Comfort Double Room

The booking confirmation made it sound like there was parking close to the hotel. However in truth the free public parking is located on the main road into the town and about a 5-10 minute walk away from the hotel. This wasn't an issue for us, but anyone arriving with heavy luggage or someone with a mobility problem would need to drop off outside the hotel and then go off to park.

This property was ideally situated for exploring the town and surrounding area. The local shops offer everything that you could want and there are a good selection of restaurants just 2 minutes walk away. The room was comfortable and clean and had everything we needed.

Good hotel, friendly and welcoming.

Lumpy pillow. Two spare beds were made up in our room taking up a lot of the floor area.

Helpful receptionist. Good bike storage. Great location. Good air conditioning and fan.

If we ever visit Amboise again, we’d definitely stay here again.

No elevator, Going up stairs to my room which is at the end of a long hall way on the top floor. We managed; however, it could become a problem for travelers with large or heavy luggage. I guess you could ask the front desk for help.

The location which is close to everything, yet, in a quiet neighborhood.

Good location, nice staff, but too small rooms for more than one night.

Very small rooms, nowhere to put luggage and nowhere to put clothes out of luggage. Should only stay if you have small back pack or are single. Difficult for two. Hint : Room with bad view (roof top) has more room.

Clean room, good location, fluffy towels, nice staff.

A good basic hotel for a short visit of the town
    • Standard Triple Room

Very small room; breakfast disappointment; difficult to park close to the hotel; it's not a place with charm, but also no negative surprises

Location is good for town centre visit

Excellent !
    • Budget Double Room

I am very thankful to the staff because they had given us a room on the 2nd floor and without elevator it was very hard for me to go up with my luggage since I have a bad case of arthritis in my knees, but they were very good and the second day they accommodated us in the first floor. They took our luggage up and when we checked out they brought our luggage down. We are very happy with their service.

Perfect hotel for short stay.
    • Budget Double Room

Nothing - every thing more that adequate.

Reception open during day - not always the case with budget hotels, friendly and helpful staff, clean comfortable room, good breakfast. Good location with free parking nearby. All perfect for short stay.

Treated Very Rudely - Do Not Recommend!
    • Comfort Double Room

The stay started out great...then things changed. I must mention that the wi-fi was horrible (didn't matter much to me, but different story with our 15-year old!). All great until the second evening. We bought some bread, cheese and sausage at the local market (which were all awesome!) and brought it back to the hotel to eat. We apparently made a very grave mistake by using a table in what we thought was the common area to eat our food. After we had been there for over 30 minutes, enjoying our tasty treats, we were very rudely yelled at by a "gentleman" who I believe to be one of the owners. Then his partner came by to again tell us how "incredible" it was that we would even think that it was ok to use a table in the common/breakfast area to eat. We have stayed in numerous hotels throughout Europe and have never been treated like this. Every hotel we have ever been at is amenable to guests using tables in the common area for eating, drinking, playing cards, whatever. However, at the Inter-Hotel Chaptal it is a most grievous offence. I simply cannot believe how rudely we were treated for using a table and two glasses (which we asked to use). It simply blows my mind that they got so upset about this. We were sitting at this table for a half hour, and no one said it was not allowed. There were no signs, etc. saying the area was for breakfast only. We did not make a mess and cleaned up after ourselves. However, they acted as though we were barbarians who have no concept of how civilized people behave. If we had any indication that using a table and a few glasses was not allowed we gladly would have not done so and went to our room to eat (which, according to our host, is the only place you are allowed to do so). Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. Unbelievable how rudely we were treated. I cannot not recommend highly enough!

The young lady that checked us in was very nice and helpful. I made a mistake in reserving for two instead of three people. but she made sure we had rooms for three for both nights. She also gave great recommendations for restaurants.

A very pleasant stay. Close to the river, chataeus, and the Ice cream shop. awesome ice cream there!
    • Comfort Triple Room

Looking for softer pillows with a bit of 'spring' in them.

All amenities worked well room was large enough, bathroom had been modernized. Staff were very helpful, and friendly. Spoke English well, to be able to communicate very well. Thank you. The car had to be parked in the free public space up the road, not too far away. All good.

Well located, clean hotel
    • Quadruple Room

I wish if the room had a bigger window. It's quite a big room but with one small window so it's somewhat dark, even when it's sunny outside. Due to the fact that the room overlooks the main street, it was a bit noisy by cars and motorcycles especially in weekend nights.

The location is great in the city centre, near" chateau royal d'amboise", "chateau de Clos Lucé" and "chateau Gaillard". Loire river is a 3 mins walk. Lots of restaurants and cafés and there's Carreffour City nearby. The room was good size for 2 adults and 2 kids.Toilet was clean. Comfortable mattresses & pillows. Breakfast was good. All staff were friendly.

Rude, hostile staff. A horrible experience. Not recommended.

A month later, I am still reeling from shock over the way I was treated by staff at the Hotel Chaptal after expressing my opinion about how the parking facilities of the hotel are represented on booking.com. I had booked the hotel primarily because of the ‘free parking’ that it was billed as having in the ‘Things to look forward to’ box on its booking.com page; that it was free wasn’t the main incentive - paying for it wasn't a problem - but, travelling from the UK to Spain with my 80-year-old mother and a car full of stuff, somewhere secure and close to the hotel were priorities. However, the parking facilities turned out to be several streets away, in a badly-lit square, and, on my first attempt at trying to park there, without any places even available. When I pointed out to the member of staff in reception that the parking was not what I had expected when I booked, defences immediately went up - indicating to me that this was not the first time that someone had complained about the parking situation – and there was lots of loud, insistent justification and blaming of booking.com, and of me for not having checked the small print when I booked. I was taken aback by such a forceful response to what was a justifiable complaint, but was completely thrown by the reaction from another member of staff - possibly the owner - who appeared in the middle of the discussion: the xenophobic ‘You are in France now, Madam,’ that he kicked off with; his disregard for conventions of personal space, as he loomed over me, shaking his finger in my face; the repeated rant of ‘I am not your dog’ (presumably a literal translation of a French expression, the meaning of which I could only guess at). Not normal, or acceptable, behaviour for a hotelier towards a guest, even one that he disagreed with, surely?

The level of English spoken by staff was very good, allowing them to be rude and insulting to me in my own language.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Chaptal. Staff were friendly and helpful.
    • Comfort Double Room

only complaint really was breakfast. but also, ledge into bathroom was unsafe--on my first encounter with it i tripped and bruised my arm fairly badly--could use a reflective strip or something

Breakfast was pretty forgettable--only disappointment about the property--most of the time we ate breakfast elsewhere

Perfect for a overnight cycling stop
    • Comfort Triple Room

The location of the hotel was great - short walking distance everywhere. We were cycling and the hotel had a special place inside for our bikes and were so kind and helpful with filling our drink bottles and giving us snacks for the journey. The breakfast was a classic French breakfast and the accommodation was basic but really comfort and we had a large room. I'd highly recommend this hotel

a total value for money! i liked it

i think the walls are very thin so you hear the next door neighbors. otherwise it was ok

the breakfast was lovely! the hotel was a total value for money, right in the centre next to amboise castle

Wouldn't rush back!
    • Budget Double Room

Parking is a problem, we were on 2 motorcycles, which in France you can normally find a space for somewhere nearby, but we were given the impression that parking regulations (everywhere nearby is pay bays/meters with no dedicated m/c parking to be found) were strictly applied so agreed to pay the hotel an extra 10 Euros to park in their garage, which was a short walk away. Shortly after a French couple arrived on a motorcycle and parked opposite the hotel front door in a space I would have taken if we'd been advised it was OK. The room was tiny, barely space to squeeze around the bed, the shower drain was blocked, for some reason the shelf in the 'wardrobe' didn't extend to where you would have expected it to leading to my crash helmet plummeting to the floor from a great height. First impressions of the town were that the people were quite self-centred and unfriendly but we did eventually find some friendly faces!

The location gives easy access on foot to central Amboise without encountering too much traffic, plenty of choice of bars & restaurants nearby.

Would highly recommend. A great stop on our Loire Valley tour.
    • Budget Double Room

Parking is a a bit of a hassle but not a huge deterrent.

Great location. Ambrose a good home base to see Loire Valley chateaux. Each person at the reception is very friendly and helpful. Loved Meeto, the resident dog.

Great location and good price.
    • Budget Double Room

The staff person was abrupt with me as I arrived early at the hotel. I explained I was cycling and stopped early as it was raining and I was cold and that I would appreciate if he could accommodate. He did accommodate me which I appreciate but he was abrupt throughout our interaction. Also the walls are thin so sound travels easily.

The location was very good and the facility was quite clean.

easy walking to river, shops and chateaux

Needed air conditioning in extreme heat Would have liked access to the guest lounge after 9pm

easy walking to river, shops and chateaux Lounge well appointed (see below)

Wonderful and excellent
    • Comfort Double Room

As you can see above-Nothing

Every aspect was excellent, very friendly and helpful staff,all facilities excellent, very comfortable and spotlessly clean and the breakfasts were superb-in all,a very good base for a holiday that can be recommended without fear of contradiction.

Good place to stay to visit Amboise and the Da Vinci museum.
    • Comfort Double Room

The free parking could have been closer, it was public and about 200metres away. We did know that before booking

Very good location close to places of interest and the street full of cafes and restaurants.

The staff was excellent!

Everything was great. They even held our bags (after checking out) until early afternoon while we went to Chenonceau.

The staff was excellent! It is in a great location. Located about a half of a block from the pedestrian street where stores, restaurants are located. I have stayed here twice and would highly recommend it.

Good hotel, nice staff, great location, but unfortunately very noisy
    • Comfort Double Room

Very noisy rooms. shower and toilets pipes in the room, so you can hear each neighbor toilets... very thin walls, noisy corridors...

Very good mattress and bed size. Fine breakfast.

Not happy with stay because of parking.

Hotel did not have its own parking.had to park in a public car park close to the hotel and had to wait half an hour for the spot to become available. Very annoyed with booking.com for having supplied misleading information on parking facilities.

Very friendly staff, great location.

No air con was a shame, though the fan did a good job of keeping us cool at night. The bathroom was v small but the shower was good.

Very friendly staff, great location. Comfy bed. Great for our short stay!

Pleasant comfortable hotel, small but comfortable room.

Range of food for breakfast was great. Warmly welcomed at Reception. Bike storage is excellent. Comfortable room in a central location but nice and quiet.

Très agréable !
    • Triple Family Room

The rooms under the roof are for families with really small children and really short parents:) even me, with my 1,64m bumped the head on the arched ceiling:)))

The hosts were actually waiting for us, even though we were a bit late, let us park for some time in front of the hotel (usually, there is no public parking) and advised a very nice restaurant. Extremely nice attitude, thanks a lot!

Great location and service

The WiFi is not great and although it said there was free parking, it's not at the property, but at a car park about 5 mins walk away. I arrived in a Sat afternoon and had to drive around a few times before a space became available.

The staff were excellent and really friendly. The location is perfect.

Disappointed
    • Comfort Double Room

Two small but heavy suitcases to top of building - two flights of stairs plus two smaller sets - with no help Charmless hotel. Simple and clean. Basic. Good for one night.

Staff friendly

Nothing much to say
    • Quadruple Room

Older male staff wasn't polite when I asked to change room 4 d next night. (1st night we checkedin late) Abit grumpy, I told him we particularly written down we do not 1 room to face the road. Yes 2nd night we got a quieter room.

We particularly asked 4 a room away from the traffic we were right in front of the road tho. Not a busy road but thr out d night every hour cars passes by so didn't hv any sleep. Sound proof in this hotel is bad can hear cars passing by.

Good little hotel, very close to centre so just walking into...

Our room was very hot, no air-con. they provide a fan though, which helped. Our room was just underneath the roof, so was always going to be warmer.

Good little hotel, very close to centre so just walking into town at night. Breakfast etc was as expected. The hotel has a room where you can keep your bike, which is excellent. The staff are good and helpful too. Everywhere was clean and tidy, not modern, but for my sort of travel more than adequate.

This is a fairly basic hotel but it was just what we wanted.

The hotel was divided with a door that closed off after a certain time.

We stayed here for two nights and it was very good location for the town of Ambois also good cycle stage for our bikes.The breakfast bar was reasonable. The staff were helpful and got up early to serve us on the last day so we could catch our train.We had two excellent meals out in this town and visited some stunning chateau's nearby.

Quirky ,very friendly and helpful staff, comfy bed and good...

Fan was a bit less than needed in the hot weather that we encountered (don't think this would be a problem too pften though)

Quirky ,very friendly and helpful staff, comfy bed and good position for exploring. Good bike stirage. Well run.

• Comfort Double Room

Difficult to park the car. Had to walk some distance with cases. Room was small. We arrived in a heat wave and as there was no air conditioning we did not sleep well.

Location very central. Staff pleasant and helpful. Breakfast good.

Ideal stopover for a bike tour
    • Comfort Double Room

Room was a bit small. We were so tired it couldn't have mattered less, but wouldn't have wanted to stay there for lon.

We were on bikes, chose this because of photos of bike space on the website. It is just the perfect stopover for a bike tour. The staff are extremely friendly and very sensible . . . told us everything we wanted to know before we even asked. Good breakfast.

Good value in the Loire Valley
    • Quadruple Room

Great location in Amboise. Parking is down the street in a municipal lot, but free and easy to get to. Room was nice and clean, plenty big. Shower was small, but manageable. Friendly staff. Breakfast was standard, fresh continental. Hotel is easily within walking distance of anything in town. Good choice for a hotel in the Loire Valley. Worked well with family.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Basic but great

The hotel is in a great location, right on the edge of the town centre. Its less than 10min walk to everything within Amboise. The room was small and basic but perfect for my needs.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Amboise room
    • Comfort Double Room

Parking was several blocks away but I had no trouble finding a spot in a free lot. Plenty of choices for breakfast but the last few days of my stay, the croissants were burned. Tight getting into the shower.

New owners were helpful and spoke fairly good English. The room was overly warm when I arrived, but I could adjust the heat. I had a blanket and not the overly heavy duvet, which I appreciated. Clean.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Good to stay

Other than bed was creaky all was fine

Short walk to the center, nice and helpful staff, car parking is just 6 mins walking - it's free public parking

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Clean.

Clean. Good breakfast. Close to attractions.

Stop asking.
    • Comfort Triple Room

Stop asking. Everything was fine.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Good breakfast with fresh bread, croissants, cheese,...

Small room and small bed. The bathroom wasn't cleaned properly.

Good breakfast with fresh bread, croissants, cheese, charcuterie and fine coffee.

Lovely
    • Budget Double Room

The location was excellent. The room was confortable and quiet. It had a/c, but no lift. I was helped with my luggage up the stairs.

Charming small hotel in historic centre of Amboise
    • Budget Double Room

Very well located in the historic centre of Amboise for the château and restaurants. Great price.

breakfast is rich and good.
    • Comfort Triple Room

too many stairs to reach the room, not so nice with luggages

breakfast is rich and good. the room was small but confortable

One night
    • Budget Double Room

No parking, Access to to room.

A/C...good location

Breakfast was good.
    • Comfort Triple Room

The beds were a little bit small.

Breakfast was good. Wifi was OK.

Good breakfast, perfect location, air conditioning

Good breakfast, perfect location, air conditioning

Staff was awesome.

Staff was awesome. Nice breakfast. Easy walking distance to chateaus and restaurants.

Close to centre.

Basic breakfast area.

Close to centre. Clean & cheap.

Location was terrific
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Location was terrific

A short stop on our way south.We got what we paid for.

Room size

A typical town hotel, not unduly good or bad.

Relaxing & made very welcome with our dog too !

Liked everything

Excellent location, very clean room, friendly & helpful staff

Great experience
    • Budget Double Room

Excellent attention and service. Full of nice little details. The breakfast was awesome.

Very small room
    • Standard Triple Room

Very small room No elevator No parking space

Staff was very friendly and helpful.
    • Quadruple Room

Lack of parking on site. Small size of room.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Rooms were practical and clean.
    • Comfort Double Room

Rooms were practical and clean. Good as they had air con. Lovely breakfast. Friendly staff.

Easy for bike tourists.

Easy for bike tourists.

Walking distance from any attractions.
    • Budget Double Room

Walking distance from any attractions.

Good facilities for cyclists, good storage space, use of...
    • Budget Double Room

Good facilities for cyclists, good storage space, use of common fridge