Reviews of Château de Challanges 4 stars

Rue des Templiers, 21200 Beaune, France

#8 of 43 hotels in Beaune

• Quadruple Round House

AMAZING property in stunning condition. Super friendly and relaxed staff. Meticulous gardening. Privacy in the large family huts outside the chateau. Outstanding breakfast, even by French standards, that is being brought to the room each morning.

• Suite

Doesnt do dinner (but does do tapas)

Very Friendly and helpful staff, beatiful Chateau, Quite close to beaune and convenient for Auturoute. Very good wine list. Nice small bar. Plenty of parking. Very nice grounds, can have drinks and breakfast outside.

• Small Double Room

I lost some of the time gained by the breakfast lady being helpful because of waiting for someone to check me out.

The gentleman on reception was helpful, took my bags up the winding staircase to my second floor room for me and made an excellent recommendation for dinner nearby. The lady organising breakfast saw I was in a hurry to get going and invited me in 15 minutes early.

• Double Room - Annex

No restaurant at this hotel - only breakfast service. Nearest place to eat between 2-5km Rooms a little small or otherwise you need to pay for larger room Car park basic and some distance to pull luggage with no assistance

Great service from staff Very dog friendly - lots of space to run around and very open to dogs Good facilities and great staff who helped organise restaurants and visits

• Double Room - Annex

All three of us made to feel extremely welcome by very helpful staff in a fabulous facility that was so well located to break up our drive from the Channel Tunnel to the South coast of France

Breakfast a little expensive

Stopped over enroute to Spain, close to the motorway so very convenient Staff very welcoming, travelling with two dogs the lovely grounds were a bonus

• Triple Room - Annex

We were offered no help with our luggage when arriving or departing. There was quite a lot of black mould on the sealant around the bath. The curtains were very grimy and dusty. We won't be back...!!!!

The Chateau looks great from the outside and is conveniently located for a stop-over on the way to the South of France.

• Double Round House

The best place to stay with dogs. Their little huts are brilliant. And the field is perfect to let the dogs run around in, especially after a long, car journey.

• Small Double Room

We initially had an issue with no hot water in our room. The owner was very helpful but couldn't fix this so upgraded us to a beautiful suite in the main house. We had a very comfortable night. We stayed in early January (it rained a lot) and I imagine this place would be fantastic in the spring, summer, autumn seasons. Breakfast was amazing, great cheeses, pastries and an awesome little chocolate muffin. I didn't need to eat again until 3pm :)

• Double Room - Annex

Nothing could have been better.

Lovely property and the friendliest owners/staff we have encountered on our trip. Cheerfully accommodated our every request and even charged our car battery when we left the lights on overnight. First class service!

• Triple Room - Annex

Very pleasant and helpful Staff. Room in the annexe absolutely perfect as we have 2 dogs with us. Very quiet situation and most convenient for both visiting Beaune and surrounding Villages, our third visit and when visiting Beaune we would always stay here if possible

• Double Round House

I book a bigger size Family room but just me and my wife. But the interior basics furniture for the room is not there, no difference from a standard room except you can use the terrace which is cold even during day time.

Location is my choice to be away from Beaune town centre and yet easy to reach.

• Double Room - Annex

Utterly charming staff - we were made to feel so welcome; fabulous grounds; a relaxed atmosphere; all required amenities. We definitely will visit again.

• Small Double Room

Water dripping onto my bed at 4.00 am. I rang reception, and a grumpy man with a step ladder and a bucket came and climbed the ladder to empty the air conditioning duct. He told me my breakfast would be on them; I would have thought they should at least have refunded the cost of my night at the hotel, as it had been drastically disturbed, in the middle of two long car journeys; but no... Then there was the appalling rudeness of the lady manager the following morning, who never apologised, said it was not their fault, that I had woken and disturbed her husband in the middle of the night. (I wonder if she expected me to do nothing, and let water drip on onto my bed the rest of the night). And when I said I would report the incident to you, she shouted at me to get out and never come back to the hotel. That, I will certainly comply with!

• Small Double Room

As with other reviewers the room allocation dictates the level of satisfaction with stay and prime summer means more chance of a small attic room in the main house up two flights of narrow stairs (suitcase :( ) Roof window when open will get noise from nearby freeway and retro fit of shower nxt to bed a little awkward to use ...and we are not tall people.The original 3 star sign on the road is more reflective I feel of this still charming accommodation's rating .

Friendly helpful staff and beautiful garden setting . Good wifi and large screen tv ( although more than 2 English news channels would be helpful) Simple bicycles are available to ride to nearest restaurants in Levrnois or Half hour walk . Old centre of Beaune is also a fair walk away if without a car as we were or about a 10 Euro taxi ride or 20 min bike ride .

• Small Double Room

This is a great hotel located in a very interesting area. The local town is well worth exploring. The hotel is a grand old house, well maintained with beautiful gardens. Great if you are travelling with dogs. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recomend this hotel.

• Small Double Room

Tapas evening meal was underwhelming due to staff who clearly didn't want to serve it. First impressions were, as a result, poor.

Wonderful setting and outstanding breakfast.

• Quadruple Room - Annex

We had a room for four, I thought the other rooms were far more attractive. No possibilities for dinner.

The personnel was very nice and service minded. Good breakfast. It had a nice swimming pool that was usually very quiet.

• Small Double Room

I recommend having a car to get to town

I love this hotel. Have stayed here several times. Elegant country chateau feel close to town. Beautiful property to walk and enjoy. Wonderful breakfast and wine bar.

• Small Double Room

Loved the location. Nearby Beaune, so great as stopover with a town to visit. Rooms are modern with full facilities. Staff extremely helpful in assisting a nearby great restaurant.

• Small Double Room

The room was small and not representative of the price paid. We expected a lot more for the cost per night. There was no coffee or tea facilities in the room, No cups, the Bathroom was tiny. Scaffolding replaced a cupboard/wardrobe. Completely overpriced

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

A little challenging to find if you're depending on the GPS...just follow the road signs. :-)

We spent a restful evening here on our way from Germany to the Luberon. Incredibly warm and friendly staff made us feel welcome and right at home. Although there's no restaurant on-site for dinner, we had drinks on the lawn which was just wonderful (they have an extensive wine list), and they offered to make dinner reservations for us if we wanted...they even called us prior to check-in to be sure we had plans for dinner. The kids enjoyed the garden areas and especially the playground. The grandparents loved lazing by the fountain under the towering trees. Wonderful and plentiful breakfast, amazing coffee. We will visit again!

• Small Double Room

Bed wasnt that great. Shower in my toilet wasnt really working well but wasnt a big issue. it is 5 km drive from Beaune city center which we didn't really appreciate when we booked it. basically you cant walk to this place - need a car for sure.

good size rooms. nice building. beautiful garden. Very nice staff. Helpful.

• Quadruple Round House

Very pleasant and calm place.Beautiful garden.Very nice welcome.We rent a wooden house and it was perfect in the middle of the park with a very nice terrace where a very good breakfast was delivered each morning.The swimming pool was really nice too. This is a place that i would really recommand.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Double Room - Annex

The bathroom had black mold in it. The shower also would spill water all over the floor which caused the woodwork to warp and look bad. The breakfast is good but very expensive. For two people for 2 days we spent $64 for fruit and bread.

The grounds are beautiful and quiet. Great place relax.

• Small Double Room

Room was cramped and too small. Advertised as 4 star this was a one star. Had asked for room on lower floor was given room on second floor up flights of stairs with torn carpets. Bathroom minute and not altogether clean. Noise from motorway deafening. ( had chosen a smaller room but no indication that it would be inferior) Not offered access to pool. No hot food available so had to rush out immediately to nearby bistro. After 8 hours of driving had been looking forward to 4 star comfort...... The photo shows the 'flat screen tv' in room perched out of sight on top of wardrobe

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Small Double Room

Loved everything but if I was to be picky, I'd say that the gorgeous and stylish bathroom was not too practical. The stunning raised stone bowl basin was shaped in such a way that the quite forceful tap splashed water absolutely everywhere. It was nigh on impossible to prevent it! Plus the shower attachment seemed to be hand held only. A sort of lift up overhead shower was fixed to the wall but it seemed one had to attach the hose from the hand held shower head and it was impossible to figure out how to do it. But such a minor thing really as the place was so lovely. Bed could have been an eensy, weensy but more comfy.

The staff were so accommodating and polite, our room was great and lovely and quiet with easy access to the garden for our little dog. Don't be put off that a restaurant isn't on site. The hotel has provided a fabulous list of local restaurants, two of which are only a minute away by car and are truly delightful. They even provide a hand drawn map for directions. Wifi at hotel is also very good compared to a lot of other places I've stayed.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Double Room - Annex

I'm not sure how I would improve this experience. The cat, Mi, was a great treat.

The accommodations were very comfortable, the staff (especially Arneau) was very friendly and efficient. The setting of the Chateau was beautiful and peaceful. We were booked for two nights and decided to extend our stay two more nights.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

There wasn't anything we didn't like!

A hidden gem. If you're off to the alps and want to stay somewhere that isn't a chain, this is the hotel for you. Beautiful building with old world architecture but modern facilities. Great accommodation, food and friendly staff. Plus it's really close to the autoroute and the hypermarkets so you can stock up on great French food during your trip! Take the time to visit the center of Beaune too while you're there.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Suite

This is an 18th century chateau, renovated in recent years. It has a great combination of history and modernity, as well as large, beautiful grounds

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Double Round House

Wonderful, warm, friendly welcome (as much for us as for our dogs!). Spacious, well-equipped rooms with all comforts provided. Surroundings relaxing and pretty park and gardens.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Small Double Room

The room! The shower was within the room.A glass panel separated the shower from rest of the room. This was not mentioned on the website/room details.The toilet alone had a separate door thank goodness!

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Small Double Room

Not crazy about these new type of glass bathrooms and showers.

Beautiful park around the hotel. Located in a quiet zone just outside of Beaune. Superb breakfast.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Double Room - Annex

Bed could have been bigger. No restaurant in hotel so needed taxi to Beaune. Not complaining, excellent restaurants in Beaune.

Good location close to beaune and motorway. Quiet despite being close to busy motorway. Swimming pool is nice and heated. Breakfast was good. Staff helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Small Double Room

A little difficult to find but this is no reflection on the hotel.

Service and food were excellent. We had a room on the second floor - I would opt for a larger room in future.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

• Double Room - Annex

Breakfast wasn't bad, but was the weak spot in comparison to the rest of the stay.

Really lovely find off the motorway. Great facilities, relaxed vibe and minutes from Beaume. Feels like you are deep inside the country. Only downside was the breakfast is a little hit and miss, but by no means bad. The chateau doesn't really pretend to have a restaurant so the breakfast is good considering that. A lovely place that I'd certainly go back to

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Small Double Room

Tough walk up the stairs.

It is a wonderful location with ample parking. Very serene and tranquil but close enough to the wine country and Beaune to be interesting.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Small Double Room

Hotel is located very close to the highway (from the garden, you can hear the cars), and at quite a distance from Beaune - too far to walk. We got a small and dark room on the top floor which was decorated in an interesting way - definitely not our taste. Other people on this floor were noisy - we could hear them clearly from our room. The tapas on the terrace were a big disappointment (unless you love to pay 8,50 euro for a couple of canned mussels), and definitely overpriced. Breakfast was ok-ish, but not up to French standards. Staff acted uninterested and indifferent - when we told them we would shorten our stay from 2 to 1 night because we were not really happy with the place, they did not bother to ask us why or to offer us a discount. Overall, I would not recommend this place for more than one night in transit - if you want to enjoy the charme of Beaune, go elsewhere.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Suite

The room (suite) was outdated, scarce amenities and definitely not worth the money. Breakfast was not impressive for the price we have been charged, apart from the pastries which were very tasty.

The park surrounding the hotel is very beautiful and well-maintained.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Quadruple Round House

The staff couldn't have done any more to make our stay more enjoyable. The round houses are fantastic and give you that little more independence but within the grounds.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Small Double Room

The rooms were very small but the prices were quite steep even for them

Amazing property in a lovely secluded location. The Chateau itself is beautiful with lovely grounds. The breakfast was nice albeit a little pricey for what it was. Great selection of whisky at the bar.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Small Double Room

Nothing could have been better!

The staff were so helpful, they booked restaurants and wine tasting etc whilst we were cycling around and then phoned us to confirm them all. The provision of bikes to hire was also excellent.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Suite

Whilst able to obtain dinner close by, it would have been useful for the Chateau's restaurant to be open for Dinner as well as for breakfast.

Friendly staff. Very pleasant room with comfortable bed. Close to Auto route and Auto route exit and yet quiet and very relaxing grounds. Good value for money

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Small Double Room

Be prepared for a climb up a narrow stairway with a thread worn carpet to a somewhat small room.

A very friendly and helpful staff. Check in was excellent, help was always on hand and useful.A good stopping stop.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Our room was big and it was well designed. Our bed was very comfortable. It was a proper king size bed (not two beds pushed together). The location was beautiful.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Quadruple Room - Annex

Recommended wine merchant in Beaune was a disappointment, as was the dinner recommendation. Family room was fine for a night but would have been a bit tight for a longer stay.

Very friendly staff who went out of their way to help eg bringing extra spoons at breakfast, taking towels to the pool area for me from reception. Location is excellent and the atmosphere with the lawn in front of the manor house with its fountain and tables for tapas and wine is just great.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Quadruple Room - Annex

The staff were amazing! They were friendly and accommodating. They even made us a dinner reservation at the last minute! The room was beautiful, as was the Chateau itself. The grounds were awesome. We enjoyed a walk around the grounds. The pool was very nice too. We wish we had stayed here longer. We will definitely go back!

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Double Room - Annex

No restaurant, but three good ones in the village.

Very friendly staff, nice little village, pleasant surroundings despite the nearness of the autoroute.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Double Room - Annex

Comfortable hotel in nice surroundings within easy reach of Beaune and although they do not do meals served very nice tapas which included beef bourguignon.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Double Room - Annex

As far as we are concerned our stay was perfect, although too short.

The location in the heart of Burgundy is perfect for touring the vineyards and the surrounding countryside. The staff are incredibly hospitable and the facilities extremely comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The breakfast options were a bit light for 15 euros

We were upgraded to a suite and it was absolutely gorgeous...felt like I was in someone's beautifully decorated home.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Small Double Room

Bedroom & bathroom very small for a double and air-con worked but was very poor

Very nice location, not to far from motorway we used it as an over-night stop on way to SOF

• Small Double Room

The receptionist was very unhelpful and rude. Almost as if she would have preferred not to entertaine foreigners.

Everything else

• Triple Room - Annex

Staff are excellent and so very helpful.

The room is small

The garden

Expensive breakfast.

Lovely garden rooms for families in the round cedar houses.

• Quadruple Room - Annex

Noisy room and very uncomfortable beds.

Nothing......a superb hotel!

Breakfast is delicious and the staff are always extremely friendly!

Fab - our favourite hotel in Beaune

• Quadruple Room - Annex

The grounds of the hotel are stunning!

• Triple Room - Annex

Nice location, clean room.

• Small Double Room

Breakfast very good, rooms and beds very comfortable.

• Quadruple Round House

Dog barking all the time in managers cottage No BBC despite claiming they had it

Great garden and very quiet

• Small Double Room

Threadbare carpets. Tired decor.

Didn't have breakfast Gardens looked nice. As well as the pool and outdoor units. Loved how quiet it was

• Small Double Room

Room v small but as advertised

Real fast was excellent

• Small Double Room

Beautiful Chateau but Little noisy outside from highway nearby. Nice park and swimmingpool.

• Small Double Room

Everything was great. No complaints.

The young lady (Jan) who checked us in was very helpful and interested in making our stay pleasant.

Can't think of anything...

Very romantic place. It is as if you go back in time. Very, very nice...!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Suite

Good selection at Breakfast and fresh fruit and cooked eggs. Bed very comfortable with jakuzzi and great shower.

• Triple Room - Annex

The hotel is fantastic ! Famille hotel excellent service pleasant , quiet one word fantastic !

• Small Double Room

Staff had trouble to keep up with rush-hour at breakfast.

Location and ambiance.

• Suite

A little sound of traffic on one side

Nice rooms , pool and staff

Lovely secluded location

• Suite

Lovely friendly place. Luxurious and well thought out.

• Double Room - Annex

Did not like the screaming children in the pool.

Love the pool.