Reviews of Hotel Continental 2 stars

11 place de La Gare, 59000 Lille, France

#48 of 53 hotels in Lille

• Quadruple Room

Very noisy . I didn't sleep at all. Unhelpful receptionist. Website on bookings.com is misleading. There is no car park unless you book in advance

It was clean

• Quadruple Room

Minus: the place is old and worn, bathrooms are TINY, you can hear everything, no sound proofing whatsoever... (which is not optimal when you're surrounded by bars, trucks start unloading at the station at 5 AM, and outside works are carried out. I slept maybe three hours.) Room was filled with mosquitos. Breakfast is okay but minimal...

Location is close to the tran station and that's the main plus. Staff is friendly and accomodating and the place is clean enough.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The hotel exterior makes it feel unwelcoming and the interiors are in desperate need of a refurbishment. Stayed on 1st floor and the floori g had dips in it. Also a leak patch on the wall right outside our room. Bedroom was a decent size however bathroom was a little too small and the protruding wall in the shower was a bit of a concern. Breakfast was a bit disappointing as not much to choose from.

The hotel was definitely value for money. The location is brilliant as right next to the station and easy walking distance to local square. Room was of a good size and everything was very clean. Staff all friendly and helpful.

Just opposite train station - very loud during the night if you keep the windows open (no air conditioning, so in the summer you need to open them). The table in the room was very, very dirty. The hotel (or the bank) block full amount of the stay upon booking (was unblocked 1 month later) and one day before arrival (will be returned later also even if you pay by credit card).

Bed is in proper condition, linen is clean and new. Central location. Bathroom equipment is not new, but it works.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Hotel entrance was drab and not welcoming

Convenient location and easy walking distance from Eurostar station. Simple walking into centre and old town. The room was very clean and comfortable. En-suite was cramped but usable. Breakfast was excellent with good choice for a continental breakfast

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

parking was complicated, hotel/room looked very "tired" could have done with a decorate, my bedroom had a "sticky" carpet. wifi worked okay for me, but my four travelling companions had difficulty connecting, I asked the member of staff on the desk to connect my phone and he couldn't manage it..

hotel is well located, bed was clean, room was cheap, plenty of hot water. easy to book and we got two secure reserved parking spaces under cover for our bikes as requested.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The hotel looks old, rooms doesn’t look like the pics. We were in a room with a window with a weird view ( roof of the building and room in front of at few meters with old cigarettes everywhere on the roof) The room wasn’t really clean ( but bed was perfect !) Room’s ceiling was so weird, as a ceiling in a office. The bathroom wasn’t clean, the sink was blocked, the shower was full of mould and not clean on the outside. We paid 70€ for a night ( instead of more, we had a discount !) We were really really not happy, it’s a lot of money to have this kind of hotel and room !!! I don’t recommand this place, you can find best hotel for the same price somewhere else !

Localisation is really good !

• Superior Twin Room

The pictures on the website didn't represent standard of the rooms. The first impression was really disappointing. Both outside of the hotel, lobby and the room.

The bed was super comfy

• Quadruple Room

No coffee making facilities in room no extractor fan on bathroom no aircon in room all a bit tired looking also 2 double beds for a family not ideal

• Superior Twin Room

the coffee was a bit weird, but maybe it was because we were the last to have breakfast. anyway, there are LOADS of coffee places in the neighborhood...or just take some tea for breakfast!

very close to the station and shopping centers, very handy! not far from the center either

• Superior Twin Room

Breakfast lacked a little variety. Need to consider guests who may have allergies to dairy, gluten or other allergens. Fresh fruit would offer a healthy option.

Central location. Easy to find and within close walking distance when travelling by train. Staff were helpful and accommodating.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

the tv remote control of my room didn't work and they said that they cannot do nothing...Finally the other receptionist in the mean time changed it and everything was ok. But the answer: i cannot do nothing is unbelievable. They said they don't have place on the invoice template to put the full address of my company, while in my country it is mandatory to accept the commercial invoice. Some small things that drove me crazy.

The location- it is in the heart of Lille, next to the mall, the railstations and next to the Opera and Vieux Lille, restaurants, bars etc. The room 31 is very quiet and the bed comfortable. The breakfast is ok

• Superior Twin Room

Even though the booking was for 2 people and the rate I chose included breakfast, I was told on arrival that the rate only included one breakfast so had to pay extra for 2nd. Booking.com needs to get this right with the hotel as I only booked the breakfast rate because it seemed really good value. No parking available during our stay so had to make our own arrangements - it would have been helpful if they could have indicated a couple of options in the email correspondence.

Good location for access to all parts of Lille. Good selection of choices at the breakfast buffet. The receptionist was friendly.

Not very clean room. Hotel needs complete renovation and it is way different from the photos enclosed on the Booking.com profile. Looks like the put an effort to make it look luxury when it's very old The bathroom is microscopic and extremely basic, such as one sachet of shampoo (not even conditioner) and one toilet roll.

The staff was friendly and helpful

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The car parking is a major problem.If I apply a filter to select hotels with parking I think it is reasonable to expect a parking space within the boundaries of the property.Such things are very scarce in Lille and on street parking is 17 euros for 3 hours.Do not take a car to Lille!

Very good location near the heart of the town.As I had an injured ankle I appreciated the lift to access all floors.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Service poor and not engaging, room was cramped, nothing like picture, bed has to this day affected my back.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The breakfast was very basic

Breakfast was continental, my wife and I do not like croissants, so could have had sliced bread and the facillities so we co8uld have toasted ourselves,also only three types of cereal on offer .Weetabix would have been nice.We had requested a ground floor room ,but was given room 57 on the top floor. When we arrived the elevator was under maintenence, so we had to carry our suitcases,up 7 flights of stairs, which were of the spiral type.Their was no offer of assistance,incidentally my wife is 63 and I am 68. Room and ensuite were clean and tidy but room very small. A basic hotel for a short stay.WI FI worked well in our room

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

A hospitality tray would have been very useful, especially since otherwise soft drinks were for purchase at the reception desk if needed

breakfast was varied and bed really comfy with excellent quality sheets, bathroom was rather small, room was not freshly renoved but a certain chic nevertheless, window to the street and train station was somewhat noisy but still OK

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

We had booked parking through booking.com to find out when we got there that 'as they didn't reply, we no longer have parking'

The staff were friendly and helpful and the location was good

Don't be put off by the exterior. The bathroom was tiny, ok for me but not everyone would be able to squeeze in. Room was small but fine.

Great location, few steps from the station and with the beautiful old town on one side and New shopping mall on the other.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

No tea making facilities. One small sachet each for the two day stay. Bring your own shower gel and soap or go to the Carrefour supermarket 🛒.

Location was convenient for transport to other cities and countries. Bars and restaurants close by.

• Superior Twin Room

Dirty, dated, very shabby and old furniture. Balcony covered in food waste. table and headboard stained..... Nothing like the photos... No kettle or drinks in the room (or anywhere in the hotel!). Lift is a joke. Stairs are a spiral, very low lighting and very hard for elderly.... The breakfast room was not very pleasant, not welcoming, no windows. Maybe good 100 years ago....

Not much.

• Quadruple Room

I have mixed emotions about the place: when we first arrived, I realized the location was excellent; right across the historical train station, very central, two steps away from the shops....then I saw the hotel building from the outside; some letters from the big hotel name were fallen off. We entered the building, it was an old looking hotel, but was looking clean. The staff at the reception was helpful but you would feel it is your lucky day if you could get a smile back...The rooms were occupied by different profiles of people; some Japanese tourists who came to see the Japan-Spain football match and some drunk people (actually our next door neighbors) who enjoyed themselves in the balcony by shouting nasty stuff after people passing by in the street.. Our room was on the street side, with a great view of the street and the old train station. It was a bit small but excellent for us with two double size beds with new&clean bedsheets...I could not help being irritated by the constant urine smell in the bathroom&toilet...the breakfast next morning was unexpectedly good-there were no eggs (referring to your bonus question above). So I guess it was in overall good, but I think it was a bit too much for value for money.

• Quadruple Room

The location is great if you are wanting to be exploring the city late at night. However, if you are on business and want a relatively early night the noise from the bars below its best to avoid this hotel.

I could not comment on value of stay as I paid a very inflated price due to event in the city. The hotel is very clean and comfortable, the staff very helpful. It’s a budget hotel and if I was paying under 100 Euro per night ( I think that’s usual) it would be very good value.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

There were no towels! The entrance door was not locked when we came back at 9.30 pm, and no one was at the front desk. There were loads of lowlifes hanging around the station across the road. We did not feel safe!!

The location was good, not bad breakfast.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The room wasn't the offered at Booking.com, it was very small for 2 people and very old, walls and furniture damage and old. I paid 59 euros which was alot for the conditions and room provided, plus breakfast was soo small, and they offered bufet but they should specific as it is just few croissant, bread, ham, butter, coffe, tea amd very small space, plus the receptionist wasn't very nice, we asked her what time the breakfast was and she answered at 10.00 am, well, we realize that can not be possible so at 9.30 am we went in a rush and we find out the breakfast time was from 7.00 am to 10.30 am.... she never smile to us at the first contact with her clients.. wasnt at pleasant stay.

• Quadruple Room

The parking is 2 streets away from the hotel. To park there you need to get a ticket at the receipt. But! It's terribly difficult to park close to the hotel. So this caused some troubles. Besides, the hotel is situated just opposite the railway station and it's great for those who travel by train, but it's a bit noisy and dirty outside.

Nice breakfast

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Noisy thin walls, you can hear neighbors and people on the corridor very well. We had lots of mosquitoes in the room.

Friendly receptionist, it was a simple but clean room

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

I was not aware that parking had to be booked in advance and access to the hotel by car is very poor, it is impossible to stop a car close to the hotel. The room was just adequate and the bathroom marginal. It would suit many travellers but was not the right choice for the type of business travel I was doing.

The reception was friendly and efficient. It is very convienent if travelling by Eurostar, unfortunately I was driving.

• Quadruple Room

Sent 2 messages via booking.com regarding parking but never got a response until I checked out. On the way to hotel i called to ask the location of parking but the lady said all taken and had to park elsewhere. Arriving at hotel after parking somewhere else, the lady said that there is a parking available. what a joke!!!! Room upstairs extremely noisy all night as if moving out. No sound proof at all. Tiles in bathroom cracked risked injuring your feet.staff very flat expression. Not worth price, go somewhere else.

Good location but poor service.

Everything.

I will never book any holiday through Booking .com. The staff at the hotel are not friendly and hostile. The hotel was very bad compared to what they have advertised.

The whole hotel needs a good renovation. It is very tired around the edges and the bathroom facilities in our room were rather basic - a bit like the washing and loo facilities in a caravan! There was also no wardrobe or shelving for our clothes!!

The staff were courteous. The linen was clean.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

We needed 2 separate covers in the bed. We didn't get it, because the lady told us, that she had never heard about it for 32 years, but we use our own cover for the nights in Denmark 😡 You could't take a shower standing up. Had to lie down on your knees. We didn't like the people outside begging for money all the time.

Short distance to the old part of Lille. Many good restaurants. Easy to get around. Elavator. Very clean in our room. Polite staff almost all ! Maps avalably in the hall. Very quiet hotel.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The breakfast room is really small and the breakfast itself is very limited and doesn't seem fresh. The entry and reception look old, not neat. We didn't get any information when we arrived (when's breakfast for example) and there was no information in the room either. Rooms look cheap, although they did their best to decorate it. The whole floor squeeked. Really small bathroom. In the evening we had purple neon lighting through the windows, which only had curtains that did not cover the whole window.

Location is superb! Some off the staff were really friendly. If you want just a bed and nothing else, in the middle of the city and take breakfast in the city in stead of the hotel: it's alright.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

As an example the shower was blue for hot and red for cold

If you require proximity to Gare de Flanders, he Hotel Continental is excellent, otherwise book elsewhere. The hotel is dated, rather shabby and this is typified by the missing letters on the outside of the hotel.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Staff: less hostile, less rude. Wifi: 2G, what can I say. Very slow and kept disconnecting, I switched to my mobile data. Room: very basic, outdated room, the view backed onto brick walls. Shower was very slow. The smallest lift I've ever seen, could really only manage two people and a suitcase. No air conditioning, however i was able to request a fan. No tea/coffee facilitates in room. Cleaner unlocked my kids room and walked in, there needs to be signs for the doors. This is a very basic and outdated hotel. I guess you get what you paid for, the location is excellent. We only stopped off for one night en route to Paris.

The location is the only good thing I can see about this hotel. Right in the middle of Lille shopping center, walking distance to shops, and transport. Very good location

No air-conditioning in the rooms, booked a double room, ended up with 2single beds put together, Lift very small and struggled to fit 2 people and luggage in. Hotel is very outdated. Don't know how it gets 2stars at all.

Location to centre of lille. Opposite lille flandres station

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Bedroom décor more shabby than chic.parking non existing cost me 80euros for 4 nights parking .no tea making facilities. Had to buy kettle. Lift not for people with phobias.

Bed really comfortable.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

No drawers to put clothes. Curtains didn't meet very well to block out the light.

Comfy bed. Nice shower. Very clean throughout the room. Good size room. Enough plug points. Long mirror.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

WiFi dropped out often and didn't work in room, ok in breakfast room. No handrail in bath so hard stepping in and out to take a shower. Dead plants at street entrance don't create good impression.

Good position. Easy access from street and a lift up to rooms. I had a very quiet room with window to back. Good breakfast.

customer service

I've liked the way your people treat customers, from day one upto the last day. It was really good to stay there, there treat customers nicely. keeo it up guys.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Toilet broke & you had us remain in the room, using bathrooms in other areas of the hotel. You wouldn't compensate us at all with a discounted rate or moving us to another room.

Location was close to train station & central to everything.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

WiFi rarely worked and when it did was very hit and miss. Good job the station was only 30yds away and you could get 20 mins free surfing. We were visiting whilst it was hot weather and the room was very warm and stuffy, no air-con, and all you could do was leave the window open all the time. This was not very good at night as it was quite noisy and we had several mosquitos visiting us!!! We killed at least 5 or 6 but were still being bitten every night. We could only use the shower for about 2 minutes before the tray filled up. We had to wait for it to go down and then another 2 mins, etc. We did inform reception and they got somebody to look at it but they said that they didn't think there was anything wrong with it!! They obviously didn't try having a shower in it! There were quite a lot of drunks, beggars and homeless people around outside at night and they were always asking for money, cigarettes, etc.

Location was excellent, literally across the road from the railway station and metro. The staff were excellent and really friendly. The room was basic but adequate for our needs. Breakfast was typically continental breakfast but not much choice, cereals, french toast, croissants, etc with coffee and tea from a machine.

Terrible smell in the room and outside. Size of the room. Absence of bedding. Noise from street. Location (no way to unload and load bags from car). Pictures on booking.com do not match current condition.

• Superior Twin Room

The hotel is dated & the room which we were allocated at the front of the hotel was tired. The room had been advertised as a superior double but the room was far from superior.The doors of the bedroom that opened onto a small balcony area ( not for sitting) was dirty & had not been swept for some time. The bathroom was dated & the shower was one above the bath. The tiles looked like they could do with re-grouting. The tv remote was missing from the room. There was only one towel in the room so had to ask for another. The outside of the hotel looked shabby & there were letters missing from the name Hotel Continental thereby not giving a good first impression.

Situated in a great location directly opposite railway station in city centre. Near to bars & restaurants. Good parking at nearby shopping centre but 25euros for 24hrs was a bit expensive. Reception staff at hotel very efficient. Bed quality good.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Very old and tired hotel. Room and ensuite were very small and corridors smelt a little. Okay for one night but not for a long stay.

Very convenient as it is close to both the Eurostar and intercity train stations.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Creepy, facilities need a massive refurbishment both outside and inside. When there, I would have changed accomodation if a reservation had not already been made on my c.c.

• Quadruple Room

Baguettes were horrid. Also coffee was from a machine... Thé hôtel offers parking spaces in a car park nearby but you have to pull up outside the hotel first to get the paperwork... On a Saturday afternoon this was very difficult. Can be a bit noisy at night so if you're a list sleeper, bring earplugs!

Bed good, choice for breakfast OK too

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The bathroom was a bit cramped for space as was the lift - but cosy 😊

It was in centre of town. The breakfast options were good - loved the drinks machine with its frothy hot chocolate. The parking was safe with friendly security staff but a short walk away so don't have heavy luggage to carry back and forth.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Clogged shower drain that spread an awful stink in the bathroom. Not friendly and definitely not helpful gentleman in the night shift.

Location, cost and the room is reasonably comfortable if you don't care about space and view. The lady in the reception in the morning.

Bathroom, Brake-first and the Entrance.

The poorest brake-first I ever had in a hotel. You can't have your shower without fear because down pipe is blocked and water overfill every time.The commode not stable.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

The room had a mild stale odour like it needed airing more often (which we did by opening the window) and the hall light kept flicking on and off and shining in beneath the door - some sort of simple soft blocker would fix this or adjustment to the auto sensor. Wifi a bit slow.

Friendly and helpful reception, close to gare and food outlets, elevator access, adequate facilities and space, quiet room (ours was non-street facing).

The location is perfect! Two train station,shopping center, Grand Palace,tether,opera, cinema etc...all walking distance. The staff is friendly, speak English. Each day new towels, room is clean. I've enjoyed my stsy in Lille 😊👍💕

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

The bed was extremely uncomfortable and small despite the booking being made for a 'Superior Double Room'. We assumed that a booking made for 2 adults and a three year old would have fulfilled our bed size and room needs. The room also reeked of stale second-hand cigarette smoke and there was a cigarette burn hole in one of the the bed sheets... The lift was not big enough for a pushchair and two people and the walls where paper thin so you could hear the occupants in the room next door!

Proximity to the sites, town centre and eateries!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

the bathroom was minuscule. The shower was dangerous to enter and exit as no grab handles, slippery tiles, sharp edged sink just next door the shower, door only just closed when using the loo as so narrow. Smell of drains and TV didn't work properly!

the staff were extremely polite and friendly and could not be faulted.

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Service. I left clothes in reception and was told when i came to collect them that they had lost everything. I've made numerous attempts to get in contact to see if theirs any update like i was told to do but have not received any information

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Quadruple Room

People at 4.30am shouting , fighting and playing music in car full blast.very poor nights sleep. Told by the reception well it is the city. An apology would have been nice. Car park a nightmare to find. Map given was awful.

Location was great view out window was nice.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Breakfast is of very poor value. The web site describes as 'buffet breakfast', but it is NOT a buffet breakfast. It has a bit more than continental breakfast (e.g. cereal), but not a buffet breakfast. The coffee is too thin and diluted to be called 'coffee'. The hotel should correct its description of breakfast and reduce the breakfast cost.

- Location

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Room was very small with no facilities. Bathroom was tiny. We were there on a very hot few days and we only had one small fan for the room. It was very noisy, made worse by the hot weather and having to have the windows open.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Good location

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Looks run down from the outside, letters falling off the sign- gives an impression that it's a dive!

Central location, met our needs for a one night stay, room was clean.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

Quite dated and no central air con (did have a fan). A lot of noise from football fans outside so could not open window so room very hot. No tea and coffee facilities. For the price (121 euro) would probably expect this. Breakfast was extra.

Location was amazing. Right opposite Lille Flandres and 5 min from Lille Europe. Very easy to find. Also looked after my luggage free of charge during the day. Staff very polite even with my poor French!! Allowed check out outside of hours as I had to go early in the morning for an event. Had a lift!

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

They only have 2 parking spaces.

Perfect location.

it was in the right position for everything we wanted

• Quadruple Room

It was very hot and it didn’t have air conditioner. The breakfast was very poor and terrible coffee.

Location and bed, very comfy.

Small bathroom

Nice location, comfy room

All good I was happy

Love the city of Lille and Dunkirk

• Superior Twin Room

Exactly what was advertised. Very central location, right next to the euro rail and most buses in and out of the city

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

NO WAter in the rroom ,while reaching reception cant speak english so no question no answer ...Breakfast was poor ....

Better welcome

Location good. Value for money.

• Superior Twin Room

That we could put our bicycles inside !

Small bathroom

Basic breakfast

• Double Room with Bathroom/Toilets

Dingy room. Broken cupboards, room looks old and dirty. Bathroom is small and looks dirty. Window privacy screen is broken.

Browse Hotel Continental traveller photo gallery