Reviews of Hotel de Berne 2 stars

1 avenue Thiers, 06000 Nice, France

#163 of 169 hotels in Nice

6.1

Amazing overall! 100% recommend to everyone!!

When we first arrived the staff were so friendly and helpful telling us where to go and what to do in the city, the beds were so so so comfortable and rooms had everything we needed. There was even access to free drinks all day everyday! The location was amazing with less than a minute walk to bars and restaurants and no more than 10 minuets to the canals and bridges. We couldn’t have asked for anything better and will 100% be returning!!! Amazing experience!

Great!

The shower is small

The location, the staff was really helpful and nice. The hotel is clean, comfortable. just in front of the train station Check in 24 hours The internet was good

Experiment will not be repeated again . With lost time and efforts in changing rooms

Air condition is not working in my room so I moved to other room found the air technician not working also . Then I had to move to the third room after the technician left me without a solution to my problem

Location is great . Near all transportation

Location is excellent;

Very noisy area even with windows closed. Breakfast was a bit poor, you could get better quality from the nearby shops with the same price

Location is excellent; walking distance to the old town, 2 minutes away from the main train station, good value for money.

Value for money, good location

Cleanliness

Not great but definitely value for money if you just want to wonder around all day and have an acceptable place to sleep at night! Good location and friendly and helpful staff

Staff was very friendly and welcoming,Breakfast was nice...
    • Quadruple Room

It would be nice to have a toilet for use near reception.

Staff was very friendly and welcoming,Breakfast was nice,lovely warm croissants and coffee.Excellent value for money and good location.

Excellent Value !

Due to its proximity to the train station the noise can be a little disruptive , however it did not prevent sleep .

Excellent value and convenient location. Friendly staff and surprisingly pleasant property for this price range. Breakfast for €5 was adequate . This hotel was a pleasant surprise .

comfy and accessible for tourists

Other reviews noted the size of the room. But it was just enough for us.

Perfect spot. It was close to a train stationa and a tram stop. The stay was very comfortable and value for money.

Good basic hotel, very handy if you arrive by train
    • Quadruple Room

If you arrive by car, you can hardly stop. Parking in nearby happily, by you should know on beforehand where this parking is, as even a quick stop is not possible at the doorstep. But this is not specific for this hotel. I do not blame it on them.

We had a good room, big enough for all of us, spacious. The hotel is located at the edge of the center, at walking distance to the coast, just where the pedestrian zone starts. there are not many facilities in the hotel, but there is a supermarket next door, and several fastfood places nearby.

To book only in case of emergency

Check in at 1.45 AM, first room with beetles escaping in the wardrobe, bathroom dirty with a big pot of urine around the WC. Informing reception, about the indecent room status they proposed us a new room. It was 2.30 AM and we decided to forget the basic hygiene norms and proceed to clean pubic hairs on the WC tablet by ourselves. Then I realized no hairdryer was in the bathroom but as it was so late decided to ask for it, at reception, the morning after. When I asked for it, the son of the hotel's owner (he refused to tell me his name) that was at the reception desk, told me 'I can't help you, I can't do anything. You have short hairs and you are a man, don't need the hairdryer, what you want with a such low price, you haven't paid for children supplement'. I have no words! We never asked for special discount or refused to pay the additional fee. They made the price and we just paid for that. As cherry on the cake he refused to let us pay for the breakfast because we haven't reserved the breakfast the day before, during check in. They collected an endless number of epic fails.

First receptionist at check in tried to help us when we found the rooms in indecent status

Not so great

The room was small and no tea or kettle, or tea cups provided for guests to have tea in our room. All Television programmes were in french with no option for children in English. l think they should have other cable channels with English subscription or other languages so other nationals do not feel bored when they come to stay there.

staff was friendly and helpful especially Lucas

Месторасположение
    • Quadruple Room

I didnt understand why i choose apartment for 20€ with e big discount and the payment was did by 60€. It is shock for me! I ask you to solve this problem. I think is a problem of the sistem of booking

Месторасположение

I really enjoyed the convenience of the location.
    • Standard Twin Room

The shower area has the tendency to cause a bit of a puddle on the floor cause only the shower curtain functions to stop the water from leaking out. But it wasn't so bad.

The location was perfect as it's right opposite the train station, which made our day trip to Monaco super easy. The staff was helpful and nice. Some of them couldn't really speak English but we still manage to get our points across. The room was good as it had a view of the street and I enjoyed the sound of trains and trams (might not be for everyone).

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

good value for money

really thin wall. you can hear everything spoken in the side rooms. There was no hangers in the bathroom.

the hotel was close to the main train station and city center. all places within walking distance. friendly staff. the room was small but clean and comfortable. there was a lift and luggage storage. 24h reception which is great.

Comfortable and peace of mind

At the price I paid, wouldn’t have expected more.

Very good value for money - clean bathroom - everyday cleaning service - close proximity to the Nice station

Near the center

there is no parking arond the hotel. you need to park where train station is ( nobody informed us about this before arrival!). Rooms are ok, little bit small.. And there was some papers in the desk, from some other guests so cleaning lady did not clean this..

Near the center

Choose it if you are looking for city explorations by train!

It can be sometimes a little noisy from outside because you're close to the train station. But I prefer to be in a neighborhoud where people are always passing by than anywhere else. Plus, I loved that I could listen the trains passing. It's a matter of choice.

A really nice hotel, just a few meters from the train station. Choose it, especially If you want not only to visit Nice, but also take the train to visit and explore other cities! In a safe neighborhoud, central, next to everything! You can find around cafes, supermarkets and food choices. Small room, but we didn't mind. It was everything we need. Cozy and clean.

Good location and value for money

Wifi speed is a bit slow.

Location is convenient and close to train station and city tram station. Restaurants and shopping area is nearby. Staff are friendly.

Good location, nice staff, clean room

The bed was in bad condition, small room but it's ok for a short stay. Train and tram noise in the first hour of the day

Good location, nice staff, clean room

Pleasant stay at an average hotel

The bed was extremely uncomfortable, I didn't get a great night sleep at any point of my stay. the safety deposit box also wasn't working which wasn't great. I was also expecting more for my €7 a day breakfast, which was continental, and very basic. I could have gotten better for less if I had popped around to the 'Monoprix' a few doors up from the hotel and gotten a breakfast there (note: not an actual breakfast, mind, the elements of one!)

The room was clean and sizeable, very close to La Gare Nice, which was a bonus as I was able to commute to places like Monaco, Antibes, etc. during my time in the city. The staff were extremely polite and resourceful, and were very accommodating of my average french! Good sized TV and bathroom was cleaned every day. the windows were great as they were double glazed and kept the nightlife noise out!

Great Location but very uncomfortable bed!

The bed was super uncomfortable, the linnen and towels were poor, and our safe didn't work. The guy at reception wasn't very helpful to try and fix this either.

The hotel is ideally located across the road from the Train station (& bus station) and around the corner from the tram & Ave Jean Médecin. The room is tiny but you all you need! Aircon was superb!

Beach and old town of Nice are pretty far away from the hotel. Maybe some curtains would be good for the windows (there was only drapery)

Location is great if you plan to discover the surroundings by train. The hotel is simple, the room is tiny, but clean.

The location was very good, close to the central train...

The towels were not clean, the room itself was OK but could have used some more cleaning. The blow dryer did not work.

The location was very good, close to the central train station and right next to a tram stop and about ten to fifteen minutes walk from the beach. There was air conditioning.

Staff were very friendly and we could leave our bags for the...

Staff were very friendly and we could leave our bags for the day after checking out to walkabout Nice. There is a bakery just in the corner with very tempting and good quality food and coffee. You can sit down or take away breakfast or lunch.

Good stay, great position for train travellers.

Missing electric socks near the bed, roll holder and towel rail in the bathroom. The moquette on all the structure wich was not clean in the stairs.

Good room for 1 person, quiet, clean, with air conditioning and safe. Wifi working fine. Really near to the centre and just 15 minutes walking from promenade des anglais.

It's looks like a recently renovated hotel only two...

Cleaning needs immediate improvement.

It's looks like a recently renovated hotel only two minutes on foot from the railway station of Nice. Not far from the city center. Helpful staff gave us map of the city and some tips. Small room with all the necessary stuff for a short stay, good A/C, good Wi-Fi connection. No private parking in the hotel but there is a big private parking place close to the hotel, book in advance. I don't recommend to park your car in the street.

We spent here just one night.

First we've got double room with double bed and the room was not clean good enough - there was wine spilled on the floor and insects were flying and running around the spot. Fortunately there was another room with two separate beds, which were much better and even a bit bigger. It's noisy there: trains, people.

We spent here just one night. It was easy to find the hotel and for those who need easy access to the train station - it's just across the street. Rooms have air condition. We did not hear neighbours, only a noise from the street if window is open.

Nice and pleasant stay

Safety box didn't work and occasionally there was smell of cigarette in the bathroom.

Room was pleasant, spacious and air conditioning worked well. Hotel located next to the train station but there wasn't any noise in our room when we kept window closed.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

The property is very close to the train station.

Not so much, rooms are a little bit smaller.

The property is very close to the train station. If you plan to go Cannes or Monte Carlo (like us) for a day-trip then it would be a good idea to select here. Staffs are friendly and help us to keep our luggage both when we arrive and leave.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Really good price for value accommodation for a short stay
    • Standard Twin Room

The first room and the floor smelled after cigarette:(

Really good value for the price! The staff was really nice and helpful. The location of the hotel is great, close to everything train station and the main street with shops.

Ideal as a short stay, next to train station.

We were leaving at seven in the morning for our train to San Remo so ws ideal for a nights sleep.we didn't hv breakfast just a bed for the night.

The hotel isn't far from the train station so the location is good. The receptionist didn't speak English but I had my hotel reservation printed out so that was fine. It's next to a supermarket which is a bonus too. The room was small but modern and clean and the bathroom too. I would've preferred a kettle to have a cuppa but I guess that's an English thing.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Best price/quality ratio
    • Standard Twin Room

Our windows were facing the railway station so it was quite noisy during the night

It is located next to the railway station which is convenient for those traveling by train. It has two stars by classification but it can be compared with 3-star hotel. Friendly personnel, ready to help, English speaking, and there was one guy who spoke Russian.

It was convenient as I was travelling by train.

The breakfast was very poor in quality and value. I paid for three and only ate a carton of yoghurt. I ate out after the first one.

It was a convenient location for me.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Exceptionally convenient location

This was presented as a smoking option hotel. As a smoker this was a major factor in my choice & I specifically requested a smoking room in my booking. As it turns out it is in fact a smoke free property.

The location was excellent. Just one block from the main train station and across the street from the tram connecting to all the major sites you would want to visit.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

The hotel charged me twice for my stay.

The hotel charged me twice for my stay. Not so good management and very noisy. The rooms are not made sound proof and you can hear everyone closing doors or walking and even shouting at 2 am in the night.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

31,50€ for 1 night in single room is very good!

I think there are no bad things.

Good place in 150 metres to Nice Ville Gare SNFC. Clean with excellent wi-fi. There is a breakfast - 7 or 8€. Englısh Promenade is about 15-20 minutes walking.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Great location but poor room

Room was terrible. no handles or locks at bathroom door. They didn't finish to install lamp over the bed yet. It was look like room was under construction and bathroom was like a canal while showering.

Location is great. Train station and Tram station nearby. Staffs was friendly.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

The place was clean but the needs renovation.

Very bad location. The area around the hotel is full with suspicios people from Africa and Middle East that one would prefer not to meet even at day time and it would not recommend especially to women.

The place was clean but the needs renovation. Free wi-fi in the room. The room was small. Very expecsive for such type of accommodation. Would not return to this place and this area of the city.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

A good place near the train station.
    • Quadruple Room

City has a problem with parking system so before you go there think about it twice. Wi fi was not working, and I see that a lot of people are not satisfied with this. So probably it is not working at the place.

A good place near the train station. Also helpful personal a plus that a person was talking with us in Russian.

For the price is ok but nothing more.

Staff very bored. Small room, small bathroom and uncomfortable, hardly got a remote for the air conditioner. No wifi, they said it was broken. I do not recommend it.

Very close to the railway station and the Parking.

it does not what 2** hotel

there is nothing to like about this hotel all the information on booking site was make up not was right. very dity , bedding was dity i had to change three room to find abit clear. not internet. i was very disappointed with hotel.

Don't recommend it

It was very dirty so we didn't feel comfortable while sleeping. It is close to train station but very far from city center. It was a bad choice from our aspect.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

No recommendation for this place!

Everything. The Staffs at this Hotel were very unfriedly, unpolite, unhelpfull... The room was very small and dirty. In addition to this bad situation - the A/C was very old, very very (!) loud and not very usefull. It was louder than on an airplane.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Hotel de Berne: convenient but shabby

There was exposed wiring around some of the light fittings and several bulbs missing. The remote controls needed for the air con and TV were not in the room and had to be asked for. Breakfast was an extra 7 euros per person and of a poor quality. If we had not purchased this in advance we would have preferred to have visited one of the many local cafes.

The beds were comfortable and the room clean. The hotel was very convenient for the train station.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Not great!

3rd floor were completely in the dark during the day.I had to go with flashlight mobile phone.The lack of private parking was a bad thing.

Efficient receptionist, property location.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

lotion.
    • Standard Twin Room

super rude stuff! The attitude was the worst! I won't come here again just because of the rude rude rude stuff!!!

lotion. closed to train station and tram

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Location was good, close to train station and walk down main...

Room was okay value for money. Stay was going really well until when packing up stood on used condom under bed which ruined our stay.

Location was good, close to train station and walk down main street to beach. Staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

The hotel is very simple, It is ok to sty 1 night.

The staff is rude! Thy also don`t have the toilet if you already checked out..

The hotel is very simple, It is ok to sty 1 night. The railway stations is 1 min walk. The room was clean and wifi worked well. When we checked in the man at the reception first was a bit surprised that we have 3 people and not 2.. but then he found our room.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

By far one of the worst hotels i have stayed in - and iv travelled a lot (on a budget). There were splatters of goodness knows what all down the walls and above the bed, marks on the bedding and when this was peeled away there was someone elses hair in there too. There was someones discarded dirty old nikes left on the balcony, so clearly that wasnt even given a second thought to have a clean up there too. There was no light in the hall way to the room too, which was a bit unnerving considering the overall feel to the hotel. It is seldom i complain about such things as normally i travel on a budget so do not expect the ritz, but the lack of basic cleanliness i just cant understand how a business think it is acceptable - we slept on top of our towels the whole night! Needless to say the last journey down in the tiny, dirty lift to the exit was the best of our stay. All things said, i guess if you can look past the dirt the location was quite good..maybe we were just unlucky this time with our room.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Our worst hotel experience in 15 days holidays along the Blue Coast

Firs of all, the staff is extremely RUDE and unrespectful. The room has holes on the wall and the bathroom does not have door handle because it is broken, so we could not close the door. The douvet does not look clean and when we opened the door of the room we saw at least 3 could, it was very disgusting.

The only thing that was good,it was the location

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Not worth the money

Air conditioning not working properly. It turns off on itself in the middle of the night. If we wanted to turn it on again, we had to reset the whole floor's power supply. Air conditioning in one of our rooms was not cold at all! We live in a country that's above 30°C all year round and trust me, that wasn't cold air conditioning. And the bathrooms don't have good drainage system. The afternoon receptionist was not welcoming and not helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

You get what you pay for
    • Standard Twin Room

The "Hotel de Berne" is located directly next to Nice central station in a somewhat shady and noisy area. The hotel itself is run-down and in overall bad shape. Holes in the ceiling, worn-out matraces, etc. We arrived quite late and left early in the morning and wanted to spend as little money as possible, the value for money is certainly the best thing about this place.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

The location was perfect for us but that was about it

The first room we were taken to again like many comments had just pipes sticking out of the wall where the air con unit was supposed to be fitted. Also came up with the excuse that last week they had rain and it would be fixed next week... Looking at other comments looks like it's going to be that way forever as this was clearly a lie. Also then taken to a second room where the bathroom light did not work. So had to use torches on phones as lighting for the first night. There seemed to be stuff lying around all over the place like mattresses and planks of wood and so on. Finally the staff on the reception were fairly rude however I feel this was due to a small language barrier

The location was perfect for us but that was about it

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

The rooms on the roof floor are nothing like the ones on photo! Those are basically basic hostel rooms with a tiny window and a noisy air conditioner.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Receptionist makes lots of mistakes as he cannot leave his mobile phone alone

As we arrived late, the receptionist hardly looked up from his mobile phone. He made us pay 90 cents more than agreed upon on booking.com, saying it was some additional tax. We were given the keys of the wrong room first. After going back to the receptionist, again not eager to leave his phone, we got another key. That room, however, was already taken by someone else, who wasn't very happy when we woke him up in the middle of the night. The third key gave us access to a room which wasn't cleaned yet. This room had a twin bed instead of the double bed we've booked.

close to central station

Excellent location and clean room.

The room is a bit too small. Sometimes you can hear your neighbors from the bathroom !

Excellent location and clean room.

Good Location

Good Location

Location was perfect and staff very friendly.
    • Standard Twin Room

Shower was awful! Flooded!

Location was perfect and staff very friendly.

Nice personnal and clean hotel.

Nice personnal and clean hotel. Feels more than 2 stars. I will definitely stay there again!

Broken bed, I’ve back pain. And building of new bridge right near hotel made tooooo much noice starting from 7am to 11pm

Very unfriendly and impolite staff.

Everything.

Everything.

Everything..

The hotel is clean, staff is helpfull and kind.

The hotel is clean, staff is helpfull and kind.

Highly recommended

The shower is slippery and water spreads into the bathroom.

Excellent breakfast, very helpful staff, good location, modern facility.

Hotel de berne thanks
    • Standard Twin Room

The location, cleanliness, the room was very good, really contributed to a great birthday holiday in Nice.

Location was great

The bathroom door would not close

Location was great

the bed extra comfy

the bed extra comfy

Room was very small but ok for a one or two night stay .

Room was very small but ok for a one or two night stay . Good price

Not great value for money. Would not stay here again.

Room and facility quite dated.

Location. Close to train station.

The air conditioner was out of order.

The air conditioner was out of order.

Basic affordable location next to train station

Lots of construction going on across street at train station right now.

Conveniently located next to train terminal.

Friendly staff

Noisy in and out of the hotel.

Friendly staff

Worse and stinky

Worse and stinky

Nice and happy staff,good comunication,very helpfull...

Nice and happy staff,good comunication,very helpfull,cleaning every day. I had a pleasent short holiday.

Medium quality
    • Standard Twin Room

There was a strange smell in the room

The fact that it is in the center of the city