Reviews of Hôtel De La Buffa 2 stars

#161 of 169 hotels in Nice

6.1

5.7

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

I wouldn’t recommend staying here there are plenty of other budget hotels that aren’t scary.

The entire hotel was very sketchy, from the moment you walk down the hallway until you walk into your room (which was unlocked). The room was very dusty looking and the bed comforter needed a washing and probably updating.

The location and ease of check in and out, the bathroom was OK not great.

Couldn't be better, my favorite hotel in Nice.

Everything was perfect.

Excellent location in the city center, very close to the beach, supermarkets and cafes. Very nice owner, devoted to his hotel and guests. Big room with refrigerator, kettle and microwave for 60 euro/night was very comfortable. This is my favorite hotel in Nice.

Not much.
    • Basic Triple Room

Disgusting and unclean! Felt itchy and unclean the whole stay. It ruined our trip and we were so looking forward to it. The room had false advertising with fake pictures and information. We paid nearly €300! Couldn’t put anything anywhere without it getting contaminated! There was no toilet roll holder, no shower holder, no clean table, no hooks to hang anything, the power kept going off, WiFi never worked, room was never cleaned, no power board and the fridge and microwave couldn’t be plugged in at the same time, the fridge was also left unplugged when we arrived, the owner was disorganised and unhelpful, we never wanted to go back to our room! Lots of maintenance needs to be done and ALOT of cleaning! Better customer service wouldn’t be a bad thing either. Very disappointing :(

Not much. Unfortunately this was the most unclean accommodation that ever existed. We were surprised there weren’t any rats in our room! The only good thing was that my boyfriend could rest his forehead on the bathroom door whist sitting on the toilet doing a poo! A good location and soft towels were all we liked.

We had an excellent week and our stay wasn't pleasant! No problems and staff were very helpful to us

The shower curtain was an issue as the water kept spilling onto the floor but an extra towel helped. It's just the design of the old buildings.

Location was amazing!!!! Comfortable and basic but just what you need! No noise and the room was spacious and comfortable!

Maybe three out of five

The WiFi was extremely bad, like really really bad. We weren't able to use througout our stay. The hotel is kinda of old, but it's clean enough and it meets what you've paid for. However, the WiFi should be improved.

The hotel is extremely well located. Just a couple of minutes from the beach and very near to Nice city centre and many options to eat and enjoy the city. It's also very well conected to the airport.

Very good location, close to the Promenade and city center.

Outdated room.

Very good location, close to the Promenade and city center. Next to the bus stop where you can get on bus nr. 23 which takes you to the airport.

The location is the only great thing about this hotel.

It was probably one of the worst rooms I've ever seen. It's old and scary looking. To be honest I was pretty shocked when I checked-in. It's cheap, but still not worth it.

The location is the only great thing about this hotel. 5 min walk to the beach. 10-15 min walk to the old town. Has plenty places around it. If you not planning to stay in the room at all, and just leave your bags there, it'll work.

Kind proprietor.

Maid service not in attendance three days out of five. Flushing the toilet always resulted in a release of sewer gas.

Kind proprietor. Close to everything, safe neighborhood. Furnishings and construction functional albeit cobbled together. Access to hot water pot in the room was a plus. Wifi was fine. A/C worked fine and was welcome to be able to keep the windows closed on the noisy street-side room.

Not why I expected ..

The humidity smell in the building. The rooms are not the same.. for example my room had not a microwave,hair drayer and curtain for the window. It should contain at least a small coffee corner,glasses and water. The staff weren't so friendly, they didn't smile at all !!

The location of it was very good and close to the beach, a lot of restaurants around it and landmarks to visit. The room was clean .

Nice hotel in a good location; needs redecorating though

The hotel is in desperate need of redecoration; it felt outdated. Toilet in bathroom wasn't properly fixed to floor, and sink was cracked.

The location was great. The room was spacious, and good value for money.

March 16-22

Little dated , needed fresh towels daily, bins to be emptied .

Great access to buses, supermarket , beach and bars. Clean, owner pleasant and obliging .

Hotel de la Buffa

There was no soap in the bathroom, no glasses or any cups and the cleaning could've been more thorough, half our wardrobe had a thick layer of dust plus there was only one night stand.

Close to promenade des anglais and plenty of bus stations. Easy access from the airport. Fairly clean, the bedsheets were clean and the bed was quite comfortable. Grate value for money.Flexible check in is possible upon request and despite the thin walls the rooms were pretty quiet. Room was spacious. The mini fridge does come in handy. Overall we liked our stay here :)

Extremely cheap, decently comfortable, near promenade but seedy entrance and no 24 hour desk

There is a picture on the Booking.com that shows a building somewhere nearby but not the hotel so I was disappointed when I found the place. Very seedy looking entrance and lobby although I guess I would recommend it for a very low cost place to my wife and daughter if they were traveling alone since it is right near the promenade and street with restaurants and bars. Not a 24 hour desk so maybe a little unsafe. I think for 5 or 10 Euro I would book another place that I have stayed at near the train station as I have stayed in Nice for many times and know the budget places. If lowest cost is your need, this is the place for decent comfort, cleanlines and good wifi as well as a nice owner/receptioinist. Note that the breakfast is 5 Euro and brought to your room at a scheduled time. I did not take it because of an early flight but would recommend going out since there is no comfortable place in the room for 2 people to have breakfast. I was not even asked if I wanted breakfast.

Inexpensive and comfortable room with good wifi. Near restaurants and stores. The bathroom was clean if very small and very little products but I bring my own. The room was newly painted but there was broken molding with made the room seem a little seedy. I booked the place so I could take a bus from the promenade to the airport early in the morning. Instead I took Uber because I was not so sure of the timing of the buses.

Cheap hotel in the heart of Nice

Undergoing some refurbishment, I suppose. I would not recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend. But maybe couple in love would not care.

In the heart of Nice, great for a stop in mine railway trip.

Very good location, near the promenade.

There was a strange smell in the room, like of old furniture, but this is a minor aspect.

Very good location, near the promenade. We had a fridge in the room, the mattresses were very comfortable . The staff is very helpful!

Lovey clean and cosy budget hotel with everything you need for a comfortable stay.

For the price I paid there's no need for improvement. Just keep up the good work please!

Comfortable clean bed, window worked well to keep the noise out at night, hot water in the morning for a shower and a fridge and kettle in the room. Flawless Wi-Fi. Overall very good value for money. The manager was friendly and helpful. I'd very happily stay here again!

Good location .

The carpet was damp and the room smelt quite strong (possibly from the damp) but apart from that it was fine.

Good location .. the guy working there lent me a charger for my phone which saved me having to buy one.

Good location to take a walk along the beach.

Cleaning service is not good. Staffs didn’t clean up my room for 3 days and they even didn’t change towels. So I asked to give new towels and then they gave me new one.

Good location to take a walk along the beach. And it is located near the Place Masséna! Transportation is also convenient😊

Choose this hôtel only if you don't have the choice

Not very clean, musty smell, pronounced weed smell in the toilet. The heating did not work. The guy at the reception brought me an electric heater but I was afraid to use it because this stuff can cause a fire.

Good location.

Will not ever come back or recommend this hotel

They were remodeling, so a lot of noice. Hard bed, only a thin blanket no duvet. Heard everything everyone else in the hotel were doing. Not friendly staff. I smiled and said hello, and they did never smile. Bad wifi and safe that cost to use. Did not clean the room everyday, so run out of the really crappy toalett paper.

Not recommended

The stuff is unfriendly. No lift. Claustrofobic sized room. Soooo small. The bad was awfully uncomfortable. I couldn't sleep... No bathroom - only small cabin inside the room. It was cold and the heater didn't work. But neighbour's heater worked perfectly - I heard it all the time like it was it my room. Almost the worst hotel experience in my life although I travel more than 10 times a year.. 😣 sad. But the Nice was perfect 👌

Location. Very central. Only 1-2 minutes to Promenade des Anglais

Just read it.

Everything. When I read all the bad rewievs I couldnt believe that is that bad but now I understand and warn everyone else. The shower was like from the soviet union. The toilet is in the wardrobe, or at least it looked like it. The view from the window is a roof and other building walls. Never had normal sun light. The neighbors I dont know where to start. The music from somewhere was playing early in the morning, from somewhere dogs barked really loud and no one shut them up, everything sounds like it was in our room. The most terrible experience I had in all my stays.. The whole room looked like my grandma's bedroom from 1950. For an extra 100euros you can have a really better hotel, I just thought I want it cheaper but I regretted that in a minute I entered the room. First day the wifi didnt even work so you can imagine how it feels.. Like stranded in the early 70's... Dont try to save the extra 100euro.... Just for the better sleep..

Only 1 thing. Cleaning lady always made the bed every day. But I think that wasn't neccesary and it doesnt compensate other stuff.

Location only 15 minute walk from train station and 5 minute...
    • Basic Triple Room

Trip Advisor reviews stated basic accommodation, but friendly and helpful staff. Accommodation was basic at best, not clean, far from good, "staff" was one person on reception (sporadically), who only spoke if you directed a question to him, otherwise you were lucky to get a grunt if you said hello.

Location only 15 minute walk from train station and 5 minute walk from promenade.

The pictures of hotel did not present the current state of...

The pictures of hotel did not present the current state of the rooms. The room was old, not very clean with specific smell. If you are looking a hotel in Nice - check other possibilities before reservation.

I enjoyed stay at this hotel!

The guests in the next room noisy but after I told the staff he had settled well.

I chose to book here because it was cheaper than other hotels but I was nervous before I came because I read negative comments. But, it's great because it's not as bad as I thought. Excellent location! Friendly and helpful staff. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and showed us exactly what we could do upon arrival. I had a room was very clean and the bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the shower was lovely. I have received the best service with too cheap amount. At such a price you can only find a dorm room in another hotel and you will not easily fall asleep.

Absolutely nothing

The staff were extremely rude, the room was as basic as I have ever seen, very unwelcoming atmosphere. Do not stay here, it is appalling.

Absolutely nothing

an almost shabby, not-too-expensive place to stay for the night

The room was really tiny, not the least bit elegant, and really just a place to sleep.

The room was adequate for the purpose of having a not-too-expensive place to stay after arriving on a late flight. The Blvd des Anglais was only a couple of blocks away.

Basic but suited our needs

We had ordered breakfast but there was no breakfast offered/no dining room Male member of staff needs more customer service training. Hotel is tired and basic. They seem to be giving it an uplift. There is building materials everywhere at least. On the upside it's in a great location and easy to get to the front, town and airport.

A very elegant tea-room just nextdoors for a breakfast.

Very simple and even primitive old hotel for those who needs just a bed for sleeping. They start some renovations so I hope it will look more modern and taken care of.

A very elegant tea-room just nextdoors for a breakfast. A small electric kettle in the room (but no cups). Close to the seaside and to the avenue de France where lots of restaurants waits for you. My windows gave to an inner yard so it was very calm and I slept well.

Awful.

Staff were rude, very noisy (it sounded like somebody was entering my room everytime my neighbours opened their doors), decor is incredibly outdated, the room looks old and dirty, mouldy bathroom, uncomfortable bed - the list goes on. I went on to stay in a hostel for the rest of my stay and that was an improvement.

The location is the only good thing about this property, as it was central, however very noisy due to the road.

Good location, modest.

Dated, old furniture except the bed. Smell and the size of the bathroom. Staff bit odd.

Good location, easy to access from the airport and travel allover the city. Wifi worked good, the room had everything promised (small fridge, tv, hairdryer).

An Ancient Hotel :)

It was an odd experience for us... It was an extremely OLD hotel. All the staff in the hotel old enough. I wouldn't say it was not clean but cleanliness is not the only criteria for choosing a place to stay... We stayed there for just a day. So it is ok for one night ;)

Cleanliness and the location only...

The older owner used some charted table on a piece of paper...

The older owner used some charted table on a piece of paper to locate our booking, but only after deciphering a confusion of writing all over. Also, we had ordered breakfast with our stay, but they were unaware that we did, despite my confirmation stating that. Even after accepting that we were entitled to breakfast, the younger owner and son said it was too much trouble to make us breakfast on so short of notice. Despite these, the staff was nice enough and the room was comfortable. Its strongest point is its location, near to the beach, old town, and city center.

Avoid at all costs

I wouldn't even give this hotel 1 star. We booked this hotel based on its locations, reviews and photos. However other than the location, the photos and good reviews were lies! Every single aspect of this hotel was horrific and disgusting. When we first arrived the old man at the front was rude and arrogant. He did not make us feel welcomed at all. There was no service at all. They did not even offer to help my husband carry the suitcases up the stairs. When we first entered our room the door lock was loose. The room smelt and looked like it hadn't been dusted in years. The curtains were broken and the fridge did not work. The bathroom was even worse with missing tiles, rust and a build up of some substance in the corner. No shampoo or conditioner was provided. To top it off the air conditioner pipe led into the shower so whilst trying to have a hot shower the cold water kept dropping on our heads. When we asked for two extra towels we were questioned about it and on our second day were only given one towel. It was impossible sleeping there and quite painful, with people talking in very loud voices- including management. The walls were so paper thin you could hear every noise. They also started making very loud noises in the morning at 7am, with the cleaners dropping trays and slamming doors. Which was quite hypocritical of management because when I said " Bonjour" in a cheery voice to the old man he yelled at me and said " Sh this is a hotel is it not?" I can not stress how rude this man was. The routine for breakfast was poor and unclear. They did not even clean our room, replace the toilet paper or give us adequate number of towels. The hallways had pieces of furniture and were very dark. Had I not read a review online I wouldn't have realised the lights were on a timer. The management did not provide any service at all.

Do not stay here!

The staff upon arrival was not friendly, the lock in the room door was not propperly working. The furniture in the room looked like from a yard sale (a large office desk, a stepstool - no chair).

The hotel was located very close to the center and to the...
    • Basic Triple Room

There was a strange smell in the room. Could be cleaner.

The hotel was located very close to the center and to the seaside. There are supermarkets near by. The rooms are big. Very good price/quality ratio.

Amazing location
    • Basic Triple Room

Hotel facilities are pretty old. Toilet and bathroom are small. Light is weak and just generally hotel is a bit dark. Employees are not that friendly and seemed somehow unprofessional.

I think it deserves more than 6.5 ratings. We got a room for 3 people so probably more spacious than other rooms. Above all amazing location! Close to the famous hotel in Nice, Negresco. 2 tram/bus stops really close to the hotel. You can also get bus 23 to the airport from there. Subway sandwich and grocery shop around the corner. 5 mins walk away from the beach etc.

Unprofessional staff, but decent place for the price range

The staff is not professional it seems like they hate their job, they didn't even ask me for my ID, is expensive for what it is but considering is situated in Nice the price isn't that bad.

They let me check in early and check out late, it has an air con and a fridge, the bed is super comfortable, is near everything

Good value for money for budget travellers
    • Basic Triple Room

Would of been nice to provide cutlery and plates as there was a microwave, kettle and fridge but not useful without plates etc

The cleanliness of the shower and bedroom was very good, no cobwebs or holes in the walls anywhere.

Short stay - changed the accommodation after one night to another

Very old rooms, bathroom extremely small with unpleasant pipes that were tipping water all the time. Extremely noisy rooms (street has buses passing by 20h per day). You may hear almost everything from next rooms.

Location quite near to beach and city centre

Horrible

Overall it was a horrible hotel. We arrived, never experienced such a rude staff. Opening the door barefoot, not saying a word. The room was so dirty, stains on the curtains, hair in the bed, broken furniture. Not even speaking of th bedroom and the fungus smell. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Not a recommendation per se.

Low shower pressure, bus stop in front of the window, drilling at 09:00 AM in the hotel, owner who speaks terrible English, rash after using the given soap

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

If you're not too fussy and just want a bed for the night its fine!

Room was the basic of the basics, could do with being freshened up. Breakfast not much, would have been nice to have the crossaints warm! did have kettle in the room, but had to unplug small fridge to boil kettle, no cups either. When we went to check out we were told the balance of the bill was already taken out of my credit card that morning - I wanted to pay in cash!

Great location - very near to the promenade

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Bed linen was clean and that was the only positive thing I...

The room was awful. Dilapidated, run down and man on desk couldn't care less. Would not recommend this hotel. The place was dirty, building work going on constant drilling and banging.

Bed linen was clean and that was the only positive thing I can say about this place. I left first thing next day.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Location was easy accessible from airport and beach
    • Basic Triple Room

the property really needs renovation, there wasn't any electrical outlet around beds and around the mirror in the toilet. The bathroom and the room just separated by a curtain and when you enter the room the smell of the bathroom is the frist thing that you feel!

Location was easy accessible from airport and beach

what i did not like

see above

what i did not like location good for getting around, but my room was on busy main road next to bus stop and traffic lights, couldn't open window due to lots of fumes, noisy. had no curtains so had to keep outside shutter down all the time for privacy, had kettle and fridge - but no cups/glasses/teaspoon. Room tatty but clean, comfortable bed, helpful staff, very small cramped en suite. However, I booked a double room and got (apparently the last one available???) which was a twin, so... ?? You get what you pay for in the end. Don't think I'd stay there again.

Good location but property in a very poor state.

The entire property was in a poor state. There was building material (timber, old doors)in the corridors all week. The room was very small with the bathroom in the corner. The toilet was awkwardly located on a step so when doing my business, my feet sat in the shower. Water pressure was quite weak. The entire room smelled strongly of mound. 2 of 5 power sockets were functioning. There was no breakfast or coffee or anything. For €10 more it is worth going elsewhere.

The only good thing was the location. Very close to the promenade sea anglais and the old town.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

The family who runs the hotel is very warm and welcoming.

The family who runs the hotel is very warm and welcoming. Located in a good area. They gave me a early check in, helped me around in the city to start, called me once the room was ready for check in, moved my luggage to my room which I had to leave in the store room as I had reached way before time, even after check out they were worried about how I would commute to other hotel. It had the look and feel of staying in a medivial age french home.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Old Hotel, Good breakfast.

(staff) It's not that I really don't like the receptionist but it seems he was really tired when he met us and has having a hard time to smile. Even in the morning when he asked about breakfast, he looks tired with low spirit. I only saw him smile when we checkout. It would be better if he keep on smiling whenever meeting a customer. (Others) - it seems the building is under renovation when we stayed and the aisle going to the room have some smell of newly cut log/wood.

The room was big enough for us. Bathroom was clean but a bit small. Breakfast was good and tasty. I like their croissant and butter.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

I expected more.

No Breakfast No good view Very Small TV

I expected something else after seen the photos. The place looks like a old grand nany house instead of a hotel.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Yes there are buses directly below our window but it was never an issue and we hardly heard them at all.

Great location, 10 minute walk to the old town, shopping areas and most attractions. 5 minutes to the beach and several supermarkets within 2 minute walk. The gentleman working there is lovely and made an effort to speak to us in English. Bus stop to the airport at the entrance.

Fantastic Location!

The carpet could be renewed, but nothing major!

The elderly man at the reception is so nice!! His son (?) as well. The location is just fantastic, it is a 2-minute-walk to the Promenade de Anglais. From there you have buses to almost everywhere, you can go to Cannes, Monaco, Grasse - all for 1.50€ one-way. Around the corner of the hotel is a bakery, 2 supermarkets plus an organic supermarket, the market, and just everything you'd need. The hotel is a bit old, as is the interior, but keeping in mind the location and the friendliness of the people who work there plus the unbeatable price for that area, I'd totally recommend staying there. Important for me: Our room (no. 10) was totally quiet and dark at night!

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Towards the Bates Motel End of the Continuum

Being right above a city bus stop was disturbing--and at 5:00 in the morning! Elderly gentleman was somewhat unpleasant and not terribly competent. Young man was helpful when asked, but uncommunicative-- maybe shy?

Carpeting was new and nice to have in the room. Only three blocks to Promenade des Anglais.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

At least they finally accepted that they had advertised...

Wifi didn't work properly. They forgot that breakfast was advertised as being included, luckily I had printed it out to show them. The guy went out I think to buy my breakfast elsewhere, and it was of poor quality, included no egg. The room and the shower seemed dingy and poorly cleaned.

At least they finally accepted that they had advertised breakfast with the room, and the owner went somewhere nearby to get me a croissant, a roll, some butter and jelly, and a cup of coffee, the bare minimum - no egg or ham or cheese, They should call it Le Petit-déjeuner clairseme.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Bare Bones Hotel. Good Value and Good Location

Poor heating but good thick blankets. Thrift store furnishings but were functional

Did not purchase breakfast. Good shower and hot water. Very good location. Good value for money. Felt safe

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Dirty, noisy and old

It was very dirty and everything is old. The Wi-Fi signal was poor. It was very noisy - from the street and other guests. The blanket smelled bad.

The location was ok.

• Basic Triple Room

Great location Near to beach and center of the town

location - very close to the sea

low wi-fi, very often we were disconnected

location - very close to the sea price

the position near the sea

the room , staff, structure

the position near the sea

Basic hotel in great location.

You can hear what is going on in adjoining rooms!

Great location. Friendly reception/manager.

It was only a one night stay

The shower overflowed and the hotel was a lot further from the railway station and things I wanted to see.

The staff were helpful.

Could stay here if your budget is not very sufficient.
    • Basic Triple Room

The room is not so tidy i think.

The staff is nice. The location is great for us, next to a bus stop, 3-4 minutes walk to the beach.

F1 visit

It was a very basic room

Perfect location 15 minute walk to the train station 5 minutes to beach

Nice two star hotel near to the beach.

Nice two star hotel near to the beach.

good trip

except old furniture, anythings else is not bad! not a perfect location but this is ok for a budget tourist.

Great location! One of the best value for the money once you're in Nice.

Once you're on a low budget this hotel might be the best value for the money in Nice! Stuff++ Location++

needs a complete overhaul.

Cramped room a d bathroom. No tea coffee making g facilities. Shabby old decor.

Closeness to seafront.

5.5
    reussi

situation comercantes

Very nice receptionist.

Near beach, cute and clean

Very nice receptionist. Helpful

easy to get the airport

TV didnt work smell WiFi worked only 3 hours

easy to get the airport shops around

Satisfied

Good value for money, great location, calm.

I liked the location of the hotel as it's close to the...

Customer service very poor

I liked the location of the hotel as it's close to the beach and not far from the historic centre

Not worth booking this hotel.

Everything is cheap, old, dusty and smelly

Location is good

very good location

Old facilities

very good location manager is very kind

okay

The room is very old and there is a lot of noise on the street. It's cheap, so don't expect much from this.