Reviews of Helvetia 2 stars

28 Bis Bd Diderot, 12th arr., 75012 Paris, France

#1139 of 1,578 hotels in Paris

Just did for over nighter before train

Close to gate de Lyon as was required, not much to shout about for 1 night pass through. Clean and adequate. Welcoming but not tea/ coffee facilities as normal for Europe

• Twin Room with Shower

Hotel was very dismal, tired and badly needed refurbishment. Wifi system was really bad you had to keep putting in your ID and password every time you used it.

• Twin Room with Shower

The elevator stopped between floors and opened unto a very narrow landing. If one had a suitcase, it was difficult to maneuver the landing. Two of us almost took a tumble!

There was a balcony that you could walk out on with a birdseye view of the street below. The bathroom was roomy and clean. There was a metro station right outside the hotel.

It was quite nice to see the good oldfashioned room setup, but the bed was tiny (though not uncomfortable). Extra blanket came in handy though.

Only steps away from the Lyon station, easy to find and pleasant reception. The building is an old-style hotel/apartment, having an authentic Parisian feel to it. The ambience is OK, the room was minimally equipped but amenities sufficient. Good value for someone who just needs a crushpad near the central area and expects no more.

There is no hair dryer, no water kettle to heat water and only 1 place to plug something in (and one plug in, not the normal 2). The lift only stops half way between floors, with a winding old stair case that you must walk up to get to the room. I was worried about bed bugs and didn’t want to put my things down. It was awful. I’ve really only encountered something similar in a village in Turkey and there, at least, I felt safe. This was really something else. The night manager asked me if I was alone and tried to keep my key. I left even though I’d already paid and found somewhere else to be.

Location near Gate de Lyon, but in a very seedy neighborhood with very sketchy night staff. I lived in Manhattan 10 years with no real issue, but this place was weird and very bad.

Bathroom was particularly small and we felt if the curved door had been hung the other way round it would have been greatly improved!

Lovely French breakfast and nice quiet atmosphere.

The room does not have a hairdryer.

Room is clean, tidy, staff very kind. The elevator is very small, only two people can enter, and it stops between two floors (after which you step down to your floor), but this is the charm of the Parisian buildings. Metro station is right next to the hotel, which is a big plus. After leaving the room, we could leave luggage in the hotel for free as we had a flight late in the afternoon.

The spiral staircase and the elevator stop between floors (Be careful!) The wall didn't help at all. I could hear the snoring from the next room like that's person was in mine.

Very helpful staff. Perfect location (the Gare de Lyon metro exit no.11 is right in front of the hotel door)

• Twin Room with Bath

We prepaid for this room in Feb but when we ckd out we were charged for the difference between what we paid and current exchange rate.

Staff provided us with converters for our Iphones and computers. Really happy to have lift and it was easy to use and walk a few steps to either up or down to room.

Can be a bit noisy since it’s on the side of the road and our room was near a pub but it’s not too bad. We still managed to sleep well since we were too tired anyways.

It’s a stones throw away from the metro and train stations! Would definitely come back.

The lift is very small and the room as well. Shower not too practical

Good location with lots of restaurants cafes and supermarkets very near Metro and train station

My whole body was itching while in bed. I don't know if it was the cleaning powder they use or something else. Hoping it wasn't a bugs, as I had 1 huge bite on my arm after 2nd night. Could be anything though.

• Twin Room with Shower

I could'nt answer the last question as I've never heard of "Genius Perks" before. We liked the pleasant nature of the staff despite our poor quality french. The views from the room were top quality......we were put in a corner bedroom on the fourth floor. The beds were nice and fairly firm.....justy right for a decent night's sleep.

The bed very uncomfortable, first floor landing had a strong cooking smell from the other restaurants Breakfast is not a self service, it is a long wait to be served we left or would have missed our train. very poor security as the keys are kept at reception , when we went out we handed the key to the lady receptionist when we returned the man just handed us the key did not check name. The lift only stops between floors so you have to use the small narrow spiral staircase

Only the location

Elavator was so small. Room is a little big small. Comparing these conditions price could have been more cheaper.

Location was great.near by Gare de Lyon just in 5 minutes walking distance. Owners were helpful.

Very welcoming staff. Comfortable albeit small room, with balcony. Ideally placed for arriving from CDG quite late and getting train fairly early the next morning from Gare d'Austerlitz.

Noise, old equipment. Paris is expensive, but honestly, for 80 euros a bit of effort could be made anyway. I had the feeling that nothing has been changed in the room since sixties.

There was a bed to sleep on.

Complimentary toiletries would have been nice.

Nothing fancy, but we were out all day and really just needed a place to rest and sleep. The lady that checked us in and out was really nice. She even let us leave our luggage for safe keeping after we checked out so we could enjoy our Paris visit luggage free.

NotThe landing on the circular stair was a little unexpected

The Woman on Reception could not have been more helpful and friendly. People always make the difference. I hope that the Hotel does NOT pay her a pittance. People like her make hospitality. Thank her.

Narrow steep few steps between the lift and the room level.

Lovely room overlooking Blvd. Diderot but modern windows make it silent and full of light. Newly refurbished and very clean shower and bathroom. Owner and staff very kind and helpful. Wifi fast enough to work. Less than 5-minutes walk to Gare de Lyon and metro station in front of the hotel entrance. The area offers many restaurants, cafè and bistrot for lunch and dinner. We stayed twice in different years and we would return there again.

Bathroom a little small

Friendly staff gave good information on what to do on our visit to Paris Great location for our connection at Gare De Lyon Plenty cafe and bars in the area.

Steep stairs. Tiny lift. All part of the atmosphere though!

Good basic Parisian hotel. Absolutely fantastic location if you're going through Gare de Lyon. Good selection of restaurants, etc in the immediate area. Great continental (well, what else!) Breakfast.

The room had a weird perfume smell which I didn't like. My room was on the 6th floor but the elevator only went up to 4.5 floors so I had to carry a heavy suitcase up to the 6th floor. The wifi was unstable. Each person gets a key for the room but had to return it to reception before leaving the hotel. The price of the hotel was over priced compared to other places I have stayed at for the same quality in Paris.

The washroom was big and clean. The hotel was 5 mins walking distance to Gare de Lyon so it was very convenience for a late train ride into Paris.

Bed cover was the old style, prefer the new type with the duvet which feels much more hygienic. I was not sure about the cover that went over the bed, it was marked, which the cleaning lady cleaned off with a spray bottle and a cloth when I pointed it out. Hmm, but they were all friendly and obliging.

Quirky little hotel, right next to the train station entrance. Very, very small elevator that made us smile as we squeezed two of us into it. Staff were helpful. Time to update the bedding.

Also requested a ground floor room, and was also put on the 6th floor. Fortunately I could leave my suitcase in the lockup at reception for the duration of my stay.

Good location within an easy walk to the train station.

• Twin Room with Shower

No tea in the room. Had to go downstairs for a bottle of water. Stepping out of the lift back up to the room was potentially hazardous as the pretty spiral staircase was only a narrow space in front.

The night-manager was good, a real relief after travelling so far that day. He put up with our terrible french and was patient and efficient. I loved the light in that corner suite!

The bed was extremely uncomfortable; we have bad backs still, after 4 days! The room was grubby; the bed cover stained, hotel very noisy due to the stairs being so close to all of the bedroom doors. You walk straight out of the lift onto the stairs - very dangerous!

The hotel was within walking distance to both Gare de Lyon and G.d Austerlitz. There were restaurants very close by. Larger than average Paris bathroom which was clean.

it's not fancy but fine for the price.

Paris is very expensive - so at the price this was a good " cheap" option. The room was clean, basic but clean, with good bed and shower. Our room 101 was probably one of the nicer options-with views over a busy street ( always interesting just to look out) - yet VERY quiet if you closed the double glazed windows. Lotss of eating options and only a couple of minutes walk to the Gare de Lyons, right by the metro, perhaps 10mins to the Seine- great location. Staff all friendly and helpful - nice relaxed atmosphere.

just lift so small so better you book room in the first floor , wifi speed isn't so good

Location is just 3-5 minutes walking from train station ( Gare de lyon ) and directly front of the metro station , we took a taxi with a fixed price from airport 35 Euros as I believe if you are travelling with your partner so you would pay almost same for train tickets . Also there is some Halal restaurants just 1 minute walking from the hotel and Carrefour is just 5 minutes walking . I have to Thank Mr.Jorgen in the reception because we spent first night without internet till he came , he is soooooooooo nice man ( Speaks German , French and English ) so helpful and he just changed our stay ; Please send him my Regards . Also to be fair there is nice woman in the reception that tried her best to solve the internet issue in the first day . we also took the train from Gare de Lyon directly to Disneyland which was so convenient as it's so close to the hotel

The lift was small - but they can't do much about that !!

The staff were friendly and helpful. It's not 5 star luxury but considering some of the other reviews it was much better than I expected and at a cheap price. The bathroom was clean and in good order. It is very close to Gare de Lyon and there are two cafes either side for breakfast.

• Twin Room with Shower

tiny shower - awful!!! breakfast is primitive

Friendly staff good location bathroom clean bed / pillow comfortable room size ok for the price

Wifi was not very stable. Kettle doesn't seem to be a necessity in French hotels...

Great location in a lively neighbourhood. Friendly staff. I booked a single room for myself and kind of expected it to be compact - it was indeed small but functional.

Carpet in room looked dirty. Mosquitoes got in the room somehow even though doors and windows were closed.

Location was convenient, just a few steps from metro. Staff were friendly. Very close to Gare the Lyon.

The toilet was a bit awkward to use being confined to a small space but it was a minor inconvenience.

The friendly lady on reception and the proximity to Gare de Lyon as I had an early morning train to catch.

WIFI was mainly unusable, with no service most of the time. No toilet paper. Bathroom was tiny. If you are large, you will not be able to use the toilet. Some reception staff were rude, some were nice. No information at check-in regarding WIFI and desk hours. No air conditioner.

Good location, reasonably safe area. Small working lift. Double glazed windows meant quiet sleep. Comfortable bed. Eating area downstairs. Great cleaning staff cleaned room every day. Plenty of restaurants and supermarkets across the road. Good public transport.

Not as clean as a hotel but it is a great worth of the money.

It's very convenient. there is a metro station right in front of the hotel and it's very close to Gare de Lyon

The room was very small. That was OK for our short stay, but would be difficult fir a longer one. The clerk who checked us in had no knowledge of the area and neglected to tell us about breakfast. There was no hairdryer.

We chose it for the proximity to the Gare de Lyon and it was very convenient for a quick overnight. Breakfast was the traditional French hotel breakfast which we enjoy.

Quirky tiny elevator did not stop at any floor. The stops were between floors, necessitating lugging suitcases up or down a flight of tightly curved stairs. The staircase only had a handrail on the inside, not on the outside where one wanted to walk. The idea of an elevator is to eliminate using the stairs. I consider this a safety problem.

Very close to Gare d' Lyon and easy to catch a train in the morning.

I'd have preferred it if breakfast was included and if I was a large person I might have found it difficult to get past the shower to the toilet but overall I have no complaints.

I needed a place to stay one night within walking distance of Gare de Lyon and with late check-in times. Helvetia was perfect for my needs and as a bonus the man on reception when I checked in was extremely friendly and helpful. They were happy to store my bags for a few hours the next morning. The room was basic but clean and the TV and WiFi worked well. The location is perfect and I was pleased with my short stay.

The bathroom was a wet room and it didn't drain well, in fact the entire floor was flooded after showering. It is a noisy area if the windows are open . If closed the double glazing is effective.

It was a good location and the room was light and airy. It had obviously been recently updated and the bathroom was modern. The price seemed reasonable considering the location and time of year.

NOTHING

THE LADIES IN RECEPTION ARE WELCOMING AND MOST HELPFUL. I WATCHED SOME GUESTS GIVING THEM A DIFFICULT TIME BUT THEY STILL MAINTAINED THEIR DIGNITY. HOTEL JUST METRES FROM METRO ENTRANCE AND GARE DE LYON LONG DISTANCE TRAINS.

Poor WiFi connection - not the first time that people are complaining, according to the staff. The room is much too small for 2 people and too expensive (maybe that's the problem of Paris) and very noisy from outside traffic. Cannot recommend this Hotel

Just the smiling staff.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Rooms are quite small but didn't spend much time in them.

Very good location for those travelling around on city metro. Metro stop M1 yellow line 20m from the front door step to take you everywhere in Paris. Takes approx. 10-25min to reach the closest and furthest destinations. Elevator a tight squeeze yet reliable for you and a friend. Balcony off room was a nice option with big windows to let natural light and air in. Spacious bathroom. Good wifi.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

No drinking water available when asked why was gI've reply that whats prolem wit tap water. No hair dryer. When asked said hotel hv only one and was provided and hv to collect ourselves from reception. Lift and stairs too dangerous for children.would not recommended

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

The red bed cover looks old design and dusty. Both my partner n my skin felt itchy after a while. The room was quite small we had 2 big luggages and 1 small and we couldnt lay them out comfortably. There were also some steps to move our heavy luggages before reaching our room. The frontdesk was nice to offer luggage room on ground level but that was not an option for us as we needed clothes from our luggage.

Very convenient location for 1 night stay before our scheduled morning train out to Switzerland. Great cafes at affordable price within walking distance. Good sized bathroom. Hot shower water.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

There's no aircon, it so happens that the temperature during our visit is a bit cool.

The staff are really friendly, they will entertain you and they can speak good English. Food and grocery is also a few steps away.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

For our purposes which was a stop over in Paris on our way to Sicily it covered all our needs at a reasonable price for Paris and was very good for connections between the Gare de Lyon and Paris Airports.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

6he best location to stay, very clos to Gare Lyon juat opposit. Very safe and comfoetable to go anywhere and very safe, Good staffs, friently , helpful, hispitality and you can deposit your baggaes for a few day if you go travelling around Paris.

• Twin Room with Bath

Hotel's lift stops between floors. You always have to take few steps of dangerous stairs. I have some walking difficulties. Therefore I may not return to this hotel again

Hotel's location is good as well as the value for money. Nothing special in this hotel. It is located at 50 m of the entrance of Subway line 1. And at close distance of bus stop coming from Airport Charles de Gaulle (No stop bus line 4)

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

By-product of being so well located, it was noisy outside. Not that much of a problem as we were only there one night

Brilliantly convenient location. Very handy for station, metro and nearby shops and restaurants. Everything we needed was there. Seemed clean. Contrary to what someone else said, you could get BBC and CNN english speaking channels on the TV, Multitude of restaurants nearby. Everything from French, Turkish to Sushi. We went North African

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Twin Room with Shower

Location to city AND ESPECIALLY to Gare de Lyon. Made leaving on the 6:30 AM train so easy! Be aware of the stair situation.YES they DO HAVE A LIFT. And YES, you will STILL HAVE TO USE stairs--which is all part of your European experience! Do not fret about it, as many places have NO LIFT whatsoever. Instead, be prepared to use 5-6 steps--directly outside of a TINY elevator--and ENJOY staying in a fine establishment with a great location.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

bathrooms did not have heating so it was really cold inside. I booked a triple room and it was pretty small and felt a bit crowded. But fair value for money.

staff was friendly and easy access from metro

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Very small lift which can not be accommodated two pax with baggage.and the lift stops between two floors thereby pax has to take big baggage over the stairs whether you go up or down .

Front desk was really helpful and nice.Great location close to Metro and main railway.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Staffs and location. Staffs keep helping all your problems. Talk to them if you got any problem. Location is perfect, you can reach to all Symbols of Paris in short time by walk or train.

We were supposed to stay 4 nights but due to an air traffic controller's strike in Athens we had to stay 8 and eventually catch up with our cruise ship. The front desk staff went so far above and beyond what could be expected to first help try to get us to Athens, and when that proved impossible, extended our rate for 4 nights & made the rest of our stay the best. It may not be the fanciest hotel in Paris but I guarantee the staff at the 5 Star hotels could learn from this hotel about TRUE Customer Service. The location was great, metro at the door. Le Bus to the Airport 1 block away. Again it was the staff that blew us away with their kindness and generosity. You will find none more caring anywhere. We will be forever in their debt and they will stay forever in our hearts.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

q`The location was great just a few steps away from a Metro entrance, with some cafes' located the same distance away, with anywhere in Paris you can find some cheap places to eat or some very expensive eateries, this hotel is ideally located for any culinary expeditions out. We found some of the cafes' facing the station to be very pleasant with the staff friendly and helpful. Staff at the hotel were mixed with some being more friendly and chatty than others, the staff were helpful when we asked any questions.The rooms were compact but adequate with on suite facilities all clean and all you really need if your out and about experiencing Paris. Not really the sort of hotel you would spend time in during the day, no real lounge area but some seating at reception. With the Metro so close and the Gare de Lyon about 100 yards away you are spoiled for choice when deciding where to go each day as everything is so accessible.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Furnishings very basic, but fine for a two-star hotel.

I. Appreciate the location's convenience to the Gare de Lyon. Staff very pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Small rooms, extremely basic, thin walls - no sound proofing between rooms or with corridor

Close to Gare De Lyon Station, since I had to use it for intercity trains

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

The room is small, and the restroom is so small with little standing spaces...No meat included in breakfast but only bread and drink.

Good position and easy for traffic. People at reception are always helpful and warm-hearted.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

The room is very basic, the bathroom tiny but again, at this price point, not a surprise.

Excellent location right next to Gare de Lyon. The room and bathroom were spotless clean. At this price level, you will be hard pressed to find something as good in Paris. Perfect for a one night stay with little time spent in the room or on a shoestring budget.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Each time we book we ask for a lower floor. Each time we are offered floor 4 or 5, when rooms are available on lower floors. We were offered a room on floor 1 after we rejected room on floor 5! The lift, but can't change it! No real English tv. no hairdryer. No room safe.

Plastic cups. Soap. Wardrobe/cupboard with a few hangers. Extra pillows already in the room.

We were there when the weather was rather hot. No fan in the room meant we had to have our windows open. The first night was very noisy as there was some sort of festival on the go. Second night was better. I would opt for a room with windows off the street in summer. Perfect location.

Had to keep the window closed because a busy street so would have like air conditioning.

Loved the variety of breads and the fruit purée. Close proximity to the main line station. Free wi fi

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

The room was too small and did not have air conditioning either. They could at least have electric fans available for use during the summer months but none was available/provided! Out of our 3 nights stay, we couldn't sleep for 2 nights because if the summer heat! :(

The location was good as it was near the Metro trains

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

My room is located towards street with much sunshine and excellent air ventilation. Although there are not any air conditions equipped at room, but it takes advantage of good windows design and allow more fresh air flowing through. Room facilities are quite old-fashioned but clean enough. Excellent location and much easy access from Metro and Railway Station within minutes walk.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Twin Room with Bath

The hotel was very basic. I don't mind this at all, but I thought it was overpriced for what was provided. It was extremely hot when we stayed and there easy not even a fan in our room.

Great location very short walk from Gare du Nord station. Friendly staff on reception.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Twin Room with Shower

The access to the stairs was precarious and the elevator the smallest I've ever seen!

This hotel was in an extremely convenient area as many points of interest in walking distance and If to travel by train from Gare du Lyon. Although on the small side, the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The breakfast was reasonable at 8€ per person.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

Stuffy, smelly room - no air-conditioning and no fan. When asked for a fan, the hotel staff stated that there was not one fan in the whole hotel !! Be advised to BYO fan and earplugs to this hotel ! Had to open our windows to get some air and had to contend with loud traffic noise, vehicle exhaust fumes and loud noise from local bars up to about 2am!!

Close to Gare de Lyon railway station.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

Could hear some hallway noise and banging doors. Staff was so very pleasant. Their boss should be proud that they all did a wonderful job!

Great location so close to the metro and I have an I phone so I have the metro maps on my phone which do not need wifi to give you routes. That made our stay exceptional easy. Out room was just a room. Clean and large enough that we had space for our luggage but it was a little noises when people came back at night banging doors. The front desk offered to move us but it didn't last long abd who wants to move.

• Twin Room with Shower

Easy for Gare De Nord, had a 3 café bars next door.

Room was very small.

This is far below any normal standard of cleanliness or decency.

The location was why I chose this.

Location (just in front of underground station exit), Quiet, Cost

Bit faded old scary lift

Close to gare du Lyon. Friendly staff

Old and tired.

Very close to Gare de Lyon railway station.

Browse Helvetia traveller photo gallery