Reviews of Hôtel des Arts Montmartre 3 stars

5 rue Tholoze, 18th arr., 75018 Paris, France

#120 of 1,578 hotels in Paris

If the room had been a bit bigger, perhaps a chair to sit in? Otherwise, pretty good as is.

A nice find and decent value in Paris - not always easy to come by! The room was well-appointed and clearly recently renovated, and we found it pleasant to stay in. Montmartre is busy and the noise level at night on the street is pretty high, but this hotel is tucked away on a relatively quiet side street, and our room at the back, with double glazing, was absolutely quiet even on a Friday and Saturday night - the good A/C helped. Staff were personable and helpful.

The rooms weren't air conditioned, and sleeping with the windows open wasn't possible as my partner is a very light sleeper.

Friendly, helpful staff. Great location. Very nice room. They upgraded us to a better room when we arrived and they realised it was a bit of a special occasion.

Sometimes I had to wait too long to get my room key back when I came in--you would expect the staff to prioritise this rather than being on the phone.

Excellent hotel in great location. The room was larger than expected (a standard room) and extremely quiet and comfortable.

The room was a little small (but still worth it) - it would be great if it offered in-room coffee/tea facilities

Hotel des Arts is well run, with very friendly staff compared to what we experienced in other parts of Paris. Our room (60) had a view of the Eiffel tower, which was great for my wife.

Our stay at Hotel des Arts was just great! Friendly and helpful staff, room was a bit small but very cozy. Excellent location in the heart of Montmartre, lots of local restaurants, cafes, bakeries and sweet shops nearby. Walking distance from Blanche metro station. We’d love to come back. Highly recommended!

The hotel was not able to reserve a private parking space for us, for which it apologized. It gave us the address of a public underground garage, which we didn't use, because it wasn't difficult to find a parking space on the street, about a 15 minutes' walk from the hotel. On-street parking is free on Sunday in Paris.

The receptionist (Alexandra) was exceptionally helpful and friendly, speaking excellent English. Even though we arrived before check-in time we were allowed to use the hotel's wireless and bathroom facilities. We were also given maps and tourist information without having to ask. A wide range of international newspapers is displayed in the lobby. The standard double room was very quiet (no noise from outside) with a large, bright and clean bathroom. The atmosphere of the hotel is cozy, comfortable and personable. It makes good use of the given (limited) space. Guests have access to free hot and cold drinks in the afternoon, which is very generous. Abesses metro station is about 10 minutes on foot, Sacré-Coeur is about 20 minutes away.

Nothing! Our needs were anticipated and the staff were exceptional and generous with their time.

Location was ideal in the centre of Montmartre on a quieter street. Beautiful, well appointed, very clean rooms- each inspired with a slightly different design theme. Beautiful building.

I would have loved a complimentary bottle of water in the room and perhaps I should have booked a room with a view. As per a lot of older European buildings, the room smelled a bit musty upon entering, but cracking the window open a bit cleared that right up.

The staff are an absolutel dream. Cécilia, in particular was pure joy and incredibly helpful. (Her cafe recommendation en route to the Louvre was perfect!) As were the day and night staff. Truly lovely to speak to. The bedroom and bathroom are cleaned to an incredibly high standard. The beds were super comfy with really nice linens. The availability of coffee/tea/juices and pastries for an afternoon snack was a great treat! This hotel was also a fairly easy walk from the Eurostar station without feeling too close to a train station. It's proximity to Sacre Coeur is fantastic for a stroll to take in the glorious view day or night. (Especially given it's slightly down hill on the way home.) We were treated to a wonderful late night singing service from the nuns. (A welcome rest after walking from the Eiffel Tower... we like to walk.) This was my mom's first visit to Paris and she's still raving about this spectacular city, comfy sleep and lovely hotel staff.

Taking into account that my hotel doesn't have a restaurant, but that there excellent choices for breakfast nearby, I can't really complain.

Montmartre is an excellent location. From the hotel you have access to two Metro stations; Blanche and Abbesse on different lines. The Reception staff could not have been more helpful. I did not take the breakfast option as it is in the basement and too much like a canteen. However, 2 minutes away is a Pain Quotidian for an excellent breakfast and cheaper. Paul down the hill is slightly cheaper of but of the same high quality. The food in Paris generally is a hint disappointing. If you go to Les Deux Margots in St Germain des Pres the quality is excellent, but at a price. However, on my last evening I booked a table 5 mins away, which looked good from the outside and ordered a French Onion Sou and the Confit de Canard. The soup was coloured water and although the duck was good the sauteed potatoes were scarcely freshly cooked. Up the hill from my Hotel is Le Moulin de la Galette. I splashed out on a meal here (I had mislaid my wallet and celebrated it turning up!) and it is excellent. I have to say that waiters in most restaurants were unfailingly polite and spoke excellent English.

More variety in breakfast foods, especially re breakfast cereal. The choice was limited to muesli which our 12 year old wasn't impressed by.

Family hotels in Paris have improved immeasurably since our last visit: our rooms were small but well furnished with comfortable beds and clean and well appointed shower/bathrooms. Breakfast was good with a particularly delicious fresh fruit salad and good croissants & pains chocolats which our 12 year old wolfed down. The staff were excellent. They had to move our son as a couple of bedrooms had probs, so we couldn't have adjoining bedrooms, which concerned him, but they put him on the ground floor (a bit noisy, he said) so that they could keep an eye on him. There was a train strike (surprise surprise) on the day we left, but the staff went out of their way to help us find alternative ways to Chantilly, our next stop. The surrounding streets are packed with small food shops and interesting looking boutiques, with lots of reasonably priced restaurants to choose from. It is also close to well located metro stations. We shall certainly return.

The staff were fantastically welcoming and gave us an incredible amount of information regarding the area and what to visit The room was perfect for myself and my daughter - lovely bathroom (with a heated floor!) My daughter loved the hot chocolate from the machine in the hotel! I would definitely return

It was an amazing experience, the staff is so welcoming and helpful, the location is great, the hotel was clean and on top of that it was my birthday so they upgraded my room with a complimentary champagne.

The room was "compact" and very warm. We were on the first floor which meant having the window open for ventilation at night was too noisy with traffic over cobbled streets.

We liked the location. The Metro was an easy walk and there was plenty of choice of restaurants in the area.

Dust mite allergy kicked up there - they need hypoallergenic mattress covers; but they did change my sheets every day after I brought it to their attention

Staff and location are superb

overpriced petit-déjeuner, but that's tourism for you.

nice location and the price was right (cheap in February). Sweet balcony, but unusable in the season. Very quiet, but that's because of the season too.

The 'twin' room was very small for two people, as was the bathroom. We also experienced two different billing errors. The person who checked us out noticed these and tried to fix them but I'm waiting for my card statement to see what happens.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming, and the hotel was pleasantly decorated. Free drinks were provided from 15.00-23.00 (no facilities in the room). And the location could't have been better!

Cannot think of any area of concern.

A very positive experience. Reception staff very helpful, venue extremely clean, and breakfast had good selection.

Young Lady at reception was rude and by her tone of voice and manners made me feel like being reprimanded when asking for something. Quite annoying.

Location is good, close to sacre coeur. The room was clean and the were snacks I could take for free downstairs.

Very small room, very old, even though there's a window but room is very dark, you can hear every sound from the stairs or neighbor's room, small beds.

Good location, friendly staff.

The bed was comfy and we had a large bathtub in our room which was lovely. We were also in the courtyard area so it was very quiet and peaceful at night. We also found this hotel to be in a great location in the Montmartre district and close to the metro.

One of the receptionist wasn't very welcoming but it was one out of four I meet, so I get it as bad day for her (we all have one!).

The location is perfect. The rooms are comfortable, clean, recently refurbished and quiet. The area has many restaurants, patisseries, and close attraction. Two metro stations at 5 minutes from the hotel.

We found it easier to get breakfast in one of the nearby cafes.

The room was light, airy, clean and comfortable. There were nice toiletries in the bathroom and interesting bits of artwork everywhere. The location was great, right in the heart of Montmartre. The staff were lovely and genuinely seemed to enjoy helping you. I hope I can stay there again!

the overall experience was great and typically Paris/Montmartre. Staff efficient, helpful and Charming. The hotel was recently refurbished but retained it's Gallic charm. Small but perfectly formed! Great stay

On arrival we had to change in downstairs toilet as room was not ready after having requested it early. Then room became available but we had to drag 2 suitcases upstairs as staff were using lift for laundry and the receptionist on duty told us we would have to wait 45 minutes before using it. Apart fromthat one episode the staff were excellent.

Bathroom quite small for a tall man but OK for our short stay.

Twin room was fine for a couple. 2 beds side by side. Nicely decorated with plenty of sitting space. Free coffee and pastries in afternoon were a nice treat after a long walk about. Employees so kind and helpful.

The ventilation in my room can be better. We have to open the window because otherwise the room can feel stuffy. Apart from this, everything else is excellent.

The 24 hours receptionists are very friendly and helpful. The wi-fi speed, signal and connection are very good. The bathroom is newly renovated and clean. The room itself is very clean as well. Good location, lots of cafes and bistros nearby. 10 min walk to the famous Sacre-Cour. Definitely a reccomended place to stay.

Lovely hotel in a very nice part of Montmartre. Quiet and comfortable with an extremely helpful receptionist. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean, the shower was great. I will definitely be coming back.

We arrived mid morning, our room was ready for us. The lovely receptionist Maud, was so welcoming, ( perfect English, for those that lack good French), she suggested excellent places to eat close by. There is a small lift to the 5th floor and steps to the 6th, where we were. Our room was small, but most rooms in Paris are, it was well appointed with a view over the roof tops. It was modern & clean. The bathroom was excellent providing everything that's required. We didn't have breakfast due to an early flight so I can not comment on it. If you like this area then I would highly recommend this delightful Arts Hotel.

I would have liked tea/coffee making facilities in the room but that is just a personal preference.

Helpful staff who went the extra mile to make sure we had what we wanted.

The bathroom was too small. The shower, though nice was a bit too open and so the water quickly accumulated on the floor and soaked through the floor towel. Also the toilet was close to the wall making it.. impractical!!

The staff were very friendly, super helpful and efficient. Checked in and out quickly, and booked me a minibus transfer to the airport (at a very reasonable rate) and sorted out in seconds leaving bag in safe area while I strolled around the city. Room was clean and a reasonable sized, and no noise from the street despite being in a busy tourist area. Lots of nice bars and restaurants close by.

No kettle or bottled water in the room. However had access to free drinks 3pm-11pm.

Staff were friendly. We were celebrating our anniversary and were able to arrange champagne and rose petals on the bed. It was a perfect stay.

Always can be better, but why should dreaming if you can enjoy.

Great location (5 mins from three metro stations), lovely rooms and staff who were very friendly and always went the extra mile to make sure everything was perfect. Our twin room was well equipped and comfy. There was no air condition, but with opened windows was good. Hotel has parking.

Wish I had stayed longer

Staff were fabulous. Went above and beyond expectations to make sure our stay was great. Breakfast was good and a bonus to have afternoon tea. All staff were really knowledgable and arranged all our excursions for us

The breakfast wasn't particularly good and we went out for it after the first day.

A very pleasant and pretty hotel in a very good location in Montmarte. Very helpful staff.

I don't like comments - this is ok for Paris when you have tiny room with paper walls in an ancient building for high price. For me it's not good at all. The area is suitable for bars hanging, but really nothing valuable for seeing Paris. Parking. I spent 30 minutes before find some place.

When we moved to La Defance next day.

Bathroom and shower on the small side and the view from our room wasn't the best (looked into a courtyard. Breakfast buffet could have included a few more options.

Location is amazing and the front office is extremely well run and friendly. Maud! The room was very modern and clean with all the essentials. Bed was comfortable. Interior of hotel was impeccably clean and well designed. Would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Small rooms. The rooms need fans, especially during summer months: this is intended as a very important observation. Or, at least, the fans should be readily available upon request and their easy availability should be well published.

Free hot drinks after 3.00pm. Fabulous location. Hotel full of character. Pleasant staff. Value for money breakfasts.

Rooms in roof were particularly warm during hot weather, nobody's fault but that's how it is.

Very friendly staff and neat rooms, quaint location and building with character.

Room is very small.

I love the area! Very close to restaurants, stores, subway, etc! The staff were very friendly. I will stay in the hotel again if I come back to Paris.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Make sure you aren't booked into the tiny lightless single room that literally in the lobby (Room 1).

The single on the 5th floor was very nice. There is Seidel variety of beverages, including coffee drinks, available from 11am to 11pm every day.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

I stayed in a twin room and I think the beds could be bigger and more comfortable.

Small and cozy hotel in the heart of Montmartre. Polite and friendly staff, quiet and clean room, I definitely recommend this place for those who want to be well located in Paris

The room we had was very small, we found the bed small and I am only 5ft 2! We have stayed here in the past and always liked the hotel. We just wish that the beds were a little larger and more comfortable!

Helpful staff, quiet location, nice that drinks are available all day if you want them. Quiet room, which is fantastic in such a busy city

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Computer terminal in business center very disagreeable; required staff assistance to access for printing boarding passes.

Good location, great vibe. Very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Leaving your key at reception whenever you go out gets a bit annoying when you're coming and going but not a big deal!

Very friendly and helpful staff on reception both day and night. The location is excellent, very short walk from at least 2 metro lines and lots of buses. The room was small but perfect as a base to stay when out & about in Paris.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

The room was relatively small but this is true of most hotels in Paris and I have stayed in much smaller. The fluorescent lighting in the bathroom was a bit harsh but for the price I paid for the room I was very happy overall and this is a very minor point.

Location was fantastic. Room was small but very comfortable and the whole place was immaculately clean.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Nothing! It was tre bien!!

Great location near so many great cafes and small shops. Montemarte & Pigalle is an up and coming area and it feels alive and youthful. I woke up early just to take photos and everything looks great. First time ever in Paris, not really well versed in French but Maude at the front desk gave me so many tips and suggestions. She knows this city inside and out. My trip would not be successful if it wasn't for Maude's help. She's amazing. Breakfast is amazing thanks for having it buffet. I felt I was wasting money eating out ! Hahah thank you !

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

I spent a couple of days staying with my son when visiting museums. The Hotel was better than expected, we were up graded to a room with a view, it was very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Amazing location. Very friendly staff. Super clean and comfortable. Amazing value for money and would recommend this to friends /family and will definitely use again when in Paris

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Unfortunately the bed was very uncomfortable, and we both had a sore back after 3 nights there

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was warm and clean, and the bathroom, although tiny, was perfectly adequate.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

I didn't really need a view but my room certainly had none, not really a problem. Petit dejeuner was pricey for what it was. I would have liked to have been able to have just had coffee and also to be able to take it to my room.

The room was very comfortable. Bathroom was excellent. And location ideal for me as near friends.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

The gentleman at the desk was gracious, helpful and spoke fluent English. He was able to answer all our questions and was extremely accommodating with our requests. A really lovely establishment. Would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Great location with charming neighborhoods, easy access to metro, lovely staff, dependable internet when I needed it. Small but well-appointed and comfortable room. Completely acceptable complementary breakfast. They ran out of my favorite pastry for breakfast and the steward kindly ran to the bakery for more fresh pan chocolate.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

The walls are a bit thin, but I never woke up from it.

Fantastic location in Montmartre, within walking distance to the Metro and Sacre Coeur. The staff are absolutely fantastic - friendly and helpful, especially Alex. Room is adequate and comfortable. An extremely good value for Paris!

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Breakfast was ok but items such as cold ham and fruit salad were not quickly replaced when finished, which was a bit surprising. Bread was really nice. There was enough choice for a good breakfast.

Staff was very helpful and caring. The hotel is located on a side street, couple of minutes from a busy road full of cafes, shops and restaurants. Walking distance from Sacre Coeur and Moulin Rouge.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

The bed was squeaky, and it's a bit of a challenge to reach the hotel from Blanche metro because it's an uphill climb all the way.

The day staff was super friendly and helpful, the night staff was tight on security and friendly. They speak fluent English which was very convenient. The room was clean with sufficient heating and good soundproofing, not those paper thin walls you commonly get with such affordable hotels, and a window that fully opens to a pleasant view from the 3rd floor. awesome hot shower with complimentary organic soaps which they encourage you to take home too. Location was great, not too far from attractions in the day and close to bars that open till late even on a Sunday. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely choose this hotel again.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

We absolutely Loved it. Everyone was friendly and very helpful. English is our main language and we do not speak French, the staff helped with making reservations and had excellent recommendations. The room had a very new decor and was extremely clean. Breakfast was good and was freshly prepared. Everything is was bought from markets down the street that morning! Highly recommended!

A fan would have been good, as the room wasn't air conditioned. Warm summer nights in Paris are great but it'd be nice to have a bit of extra cool when you return to the room.

The location and nearby restaurants were great, and Metro access was a breeze. A nice bonus was the free soft drinks and tea/coffee until 11pm!

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Lift was out of order a few times, but maintenance service was called promptly.

Wow... every positive comment you read about this place is right on the money. Location was excellent (bear in mind that there are quite a few hills in this part of town), quite near a convenient subway line. Staff was impeccable, with Maud in particular, together with her fresh and approachable personality, surprising generosity and all-around resourcefulness being a very large part of what made our stay so special. Complimentary hot and cold drinks provided during the afternoon and evening were really welcomed. Hotel and room were sparkling clean. Room size OK for European standards. Very quiet room-all we could hear was the morning laughter of children from a nearby school, which was actually quite charming. Would *definitely* go back to this place.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

The location was great near to lots of restaurants and bars and short walk uphill to Sacre Couer. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The rooms were small but clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

I would love a refrigerator, a coffee machine and a bigger cabinet but if these things are not on your priority list then there is no better place than this hotel!

We stayed in the renovated room (room no.6) on the ground floor and it is one of the best rooms I have stayed during my tours till date! The cleanliness, staff (Alex & others) were warm and helpful and great value for the price! GREAT LOCATION.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Very small room and bathroom, no ac. price to high for value. Very noisy.

Good information from staff. Within walking distance from a lot of restaurants and small stores

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

No air conditioning so bedrooms very hot. Twin room was tiny, with window onto internal courtyard so no view, no breeze and very dark even on sunny day. Price charged was higher than when originally booked via Booking.com Lift broken for part of our stay

Location - great bars and restaurants nearby, also metro stations and Sacre Coeur church easy walking distance Friendly and helpful staff, e.g. booked a restaurant for us Free hot and cold drinks in dining room after 3pm One of our two rooms was pleasant with a balcony Wifi adequate most of the time

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Nothing, when we return to Paris we will definately stay here again.

The staff were so friendly and helpful, little details, the free beverages and pastries from 3.00pm till midnight.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The room was a little bit small, but seeing one is not in Paris to sit in the hotel room, it was perfect.

The location is excellent and the staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Recommendations for dinner were almost too American-friendly. I didn't want a restaurant where they wouldn't speak French and offered me ketchup.

Skylight in our room and the lighting

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

The wifi system did not seem to work good with my phone.

I think the staff make this place. No French arrogance here! The staff was extremely helpful and in a good mood, didnt experience that for a while.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

Just one tiny thing, it could have been a soap dish in the shower where to put the shower gel. Otherwise everything perfect.

We were nicely welcomed, our bags taken and informed about everything we needed to know. Very friendly staff. When we got into the room it was very pleasant with a small balcony. The bathroom very modern and clean. One of the best hotels I stayed for a moderate price. The surroundings were animated but it was not loud in the room. Of course there are always loud people without respect for others coming to their rooms in the night but this can be everywhere.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

The day before our departure construction work was going on in the room next to ours. It also started very early the next morning with knocks in the wall before 10 am.

Nice hotel in this awesome neighbourhood, great location. Our room was very nice, located in the backyard.

Quite small for someone my size.

Great staff... easy check in...

Falta ar condicionado

Localização

Be aware there is no air conditioning. They do have fans available

Very quaint and attractive.

Great location; small rooms and clean bathroom; nice breakfast

Very Friendly atmosphere

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Nothing to add

Friendly staff, happy atmosphere, good bathroom facilities

Browse Hôtel des Arts Montmartre traveller photo gallery