Reviews of Hôtel François 1er Urban Style

13-15 Rue Bazoges, 17000 La Rochelle, France

#13 of 42 hotels in La Rochelle

• Reviewed: July 19, 2018

Great hotel location. Terrible room

The room was terrible clearly the worst in hotel and clearly givent to those who booked through booking.com as I see no other reason for puttng on a market such a small extremely noisyroom. Directly facng theentrance you can forget privacy and extremely noisy Sad as the hotel is niceand other rooms looked ok We did not hae mini bar or fridge to store our stuff...surprising for a french 3 star

Location Style

• Reviewed: July 19, 2018

Not very pleased about my stay there.

I had to pay 118,75 euro for a night. When I have checked my bank account, I have payed 153,60 euro. Please, take care and pay attention that you do not pay more than stays on your bill.

Good that is situated not far from the center.

• Reviewed: July 18, 2018

Safe motorcycle parking.

Our first room at the rear of the hotel was fine but we had issues with the plumbing and moved twice to very noisey rooms in the front.

Safe motorcycle parking.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

Wonderful three star hotel - lovely breakfast.

I was not happy with shower - too small. I will stay again if I can have a normal sized shower and bath!

The best croissants - and the wonderful selection of yogourts and fruits. The staff were very professional and helpful.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

The hotel is beautiful and charming.
    • Quadruple Room

It is very hot in the summer and there is no airco. We had a hard time to sleep. The breakfast is not good, I would suggest you take it somewhere else. When we take a shower the water splits all over the bathroom. Good hotel to go between September and may.

The hotel is beautiful and charming. Gentle staff. We asked for two ventilators and they gave us right away.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Interesting décor with music theme throughout.

Interesting décor with music theme throughout. Understand each room has a different musician represented. Good comfy bed and clean and tidy bathroom. Short walk to harbour and the main town centre. Parking on site.

• Reviewed: July 1, 2018

I liked the funky design of the hotel, and certainly the...

The service could have been better. For the morning of my last day i had asked for a breakfast at 6:30 and paid in advance. When I came downstairs, I was told that breakfast won't start until 7:00. Oh well. I should ask for my money back. Then I asked if somebody could help me to carry my suitcase down two flights of stairs. I was told that they were busy with making breakfast. So I had to do it on y own. Hope one day I get at least my money back.

I liked the funky design of the hotel, and certainly the location. The breakfast too was great.

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

Good location, clean and comfortable

Shower was hand held only, which is not really an issue, however I find it annoying, particularly as the hose was quite short. Watch out for the toe killing designer desk chair, nice chair, but the legs stick out a lot, as my toes found out to their detriment!

Modern but smallish room, clean, comfortable bed. Storage for bicycles, locked to the bike rack in the courtyard in front of the main door. Hotel reception 24 hours, plus video, no problems, but not the best.

• Reviewed: May 21, 2018

Great location as it's only a short walk to many of the...

Space was a bit tight, though probably expected at this price point.

Great location as it's only a short walk to many of the most popular bars and restaurants in the city.

• Reviewed: May 18, 2018

Nuff said

Access to the hotel. Although I booked car park at the hotel, on arrival IU was told none was available. We had to find public parking some distance away. We are in our eighties and were not amused. On departure, were told that actually car parking at the hotel WAS available all the time.

• Reviewed: May 16, 2018

A good city centre hotel

Nice and helpful staff, good location with private parking for 15 euro per night, clean modern rooms and comfortable beds, smooth wifi, 5 minutes walking distance to sea, La Rochelle is a charming old city, feeling like in a old town of South Italy.

• Reviewed: May 15, 2018

No heating in May?

It was extremely cold in our room and we were not informed in advance that the rooms are not heated. We were asking for a solution but were ignored. After escalating again we were given extra covers.

• Reviewed: May 12, 2018

The hotel experienced a hot water breakdown that day but the...
    • Quadruple Room

The hotel experienced a hot water breakdown that day but the staff was very professional and stayed up all night to find solution and had to face unhaply customers in the morning. Definitely not an easy situation but they did a great job braving the storm of complaints

• Reviewed: April 22, 2018

Great location but very basic if self catering.

The room was very hospital like. The funky artwork is great but the rooms are rather sterile. There was no tea or coffee making facilities which we found difficult. No mirror near the plug point making hair drying very difficult.

The staff were helpful and friendly and the location of the hotel was excellent, close to the port, shops, restaurants, park and all the sights. Lovely comfy bed.

• Reviewed: April 9, 2018

Fanstastically located hotel with a musical theme.

The only improvement to be made should be the english speaking staff, especially at the reception desk.

The hotel is well designed and maintained in a very nice, entertaining fashion. It has a theme, which is rare and unique. The room was clean but small. The amount of soap could be better, but cannot complain.

• Reviewed: April 4, 2018

Very casual and good for short stay.

Parking fee was not included and it's not convinient to access to parking. There isn't elevator at hotel.

Hotel was very clean and staff were friendly. Not so far from city center. Croissant of breakfast was very nice.

• Reviewed: March 29, 2018

Perfect hotel, perfect location!

We have stayed at the hotel before so knew what to expect, it is full of urban art which is great, a place where you feel comfortable as a couple (our previous visit) or as a family (this visit). Great. Very nice staff, couldn't do enough for us.

• Reviewed: February 23, 2018

Amazing excellent stay for a romantic getaway =D

Everything, the interior, the service, how comfy and clean the bedroom was, I did not want to leave the room =) We spent an amazing weekend at La Rochelle and mainly because of this hotel experience. I would definitely recommend if you are going as a couple.

• Reviewed: February 22, 2018

Art Hotel in perfect location!

Nothing apart from our room didn't have a shower just small bath but it didn't spoil our stay at all.

The location was very good very easy to walk to the historical sites and restaurants and bars. The art work and quirkiness of the interior made it individual and different to anywhere else that I have stayed before.

• Reviewed: January 8, 2018

Perfect place to stay in La Rochelle.

Everything was great for our one night stay, so no complaints.

A lovely hotel, a 5 minute walk away from the harbour. Beautifully designed - very well thought out, with unusual touches. Small, but comfortable room. And the bonus - a bath in the bathroom. Always appreciated. Good, secure on-site parking too.

• Reviewed: December 11, 2017

Really nicely decorated & in excellent condition.

There was nothing not to like

Really nicely decorated & in excellent condition. Beds extremely comfortable. Staff friendly & helpful. Great central location

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

excellent in every way

Everything was perfect.....great staff.....lovely clean hotel.......breakfast was 11 euros extra but worth every euro......excellent location.....room was clean .......lobby /breakfast/bar/ toilets/reception were all first class. Outstanding for quirkyness, a different hotel. Would recommend and will return !

• Reviewed: November 26, 2017

Great pop art hotel in fab location...

The beds were really comfortable but a bit squeezy...

Loved the location and the pop art throughout the hotel... lovely and clean modern cosy and comfortable

• Reviewed: November 17, 2017

Stayed for a very relaxing week to detox!

Coffee could have been better funnily enough, very unusual as this is a super Hotel!

Very friendly, super location, approx 5 min walk to old port with restaurants and bars through gorgeous buildings with shops. Very stylish and chic Hotel with super comfy bed and large room. Hotel in courtyard and has secure parking in courtyard beside it, super. Had our 2 dogs with us and no problem to have them at hotel. Was there last year for one night and we liked it so much, booked this year and stayed for 8 nights. Totally recommend.

• Reviewed: October 26, 2017

It was immaculate - very clean!

Rooms were a but small but for all the time we were in them, it suited us fine.

It was immaculate - very clean! Perfect location and very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: October 15, 2017

A superb hotel for our stay in La Rochelle.

There is nothing to dislike.

We loved the way an old old town house had been pleasantly refurbished into a stylish hotel and still retained its character. Our room and bathroom were lovely and very bright because of the natural light coming from the very large windows. The secure parking was a real bonus in a hotel that is in a prime location in La Rochelle. All the staff were courteous and friendly. The breakfast was lovely - everything was so fresh. We would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: October 1, 2017

We stayed for only 2 night as we were travelling from Brittany to the Charente.

There is a sharp ridge at the head of the bed, below the picture and where one might expect a headboard. I cracked my head very painfully when I lay back and missed the pillow.

Very clean and convenient for the attractions of La Rochelle

• Reviewed: September 27, 2017

We have stayed a few times and we're always very ...

NO CAR PARKING AVAILABLE😱😱. Got a complimentary drink🙄

We have stayed a few times and we're always very satisfied and enjoyed our visit. This time having requested on site parking when booking,I was really annoyed when on arrival after long day traveling "informed The car park is full " We stay here for the very reason that it has secure on site parking .After a long debate we had to park on the street outside and move the car before 9am as it was pay parking for short periods. Just could not get the reason why it

• Reviewed: September 23, 2017

Great location and good parking.

The room was very hot in the summer, with no air conditioning or fan, so we had to keep the windows open and got bitten by a mosquito all night.

Very cool and interesting artworks to browse around the hotel. Excellent location for the busy port area and had private secure parking outside.

• Reviewed: September 15, 2017

Very helpful and friendly staff who arranged for an early breakfast before we checked out. Lovely fresh selection of food provided. Very comfy beds and room was on the ground floor which made it very accessible for my Mother too. La Rochelle is a lovely location for a breakaway and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hotel Francois 1er Urban Style for accommodation and it's very interesting decor.

• Reviewed: September 6, 2017

Accommodation wrongly described and overpriced alternative hotel close bigger not stay there again

Room was described on booking .com as spacious which it certainly was not my side of the bed was 5cm from the radiator/wall and the clothes storage cupboard was tiny not adequate for one person

Lication

• Reviewed: September 5, 2017

Very nice hotel in a great location.

No air conditioning so room got very hot at night.

Lovely hotel with rock theme. Great memorabilia around the hotel. Good breakfast and great location.

• Reviewed: August 18, 2017

Style over substance.

There were no tea or coffee making facilities and the shower was very poor, for the cost of the room. I called the hotel to enquire about parking, on answering I asked if they spoke English, the response was no then the receptionist hung up. I found this very rude. In addition the fire alarm went off at 6:00am for 5 mins. There was no explanation until we checked out as to why. I wouldn't book again.

The hotel is stylish and the art decor is interesting. The breakfast was good. Late check out was a bonus and we were allowed to leave our car parked until 3:00pm, which was very helpful.

• Reviewed: August 14, 2017

Good location, avoid Saturday's

We arrived on a Saturday which is market day and so the roads are closed leafing to the hotel. Access only after 3pm. Also any alternatives we're no good as there are road works so they were closed. Very frustrating and would have been good to be told this before arrival. We had to park away from town until we could go to hotel

Location very central to town so easy access to everything

• Reviewed: August 6, 2017

If you love art and rock'n'roll, you'll love...
    • Suite

If you love art and rock'n'roll, you'll love every minute of staying in this place. There is so much to see, do and listen even without leaving its premises. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The lounge is really cool. The most interesting hotel I've ever stayed at.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2017

Very spacious apartment - free parking a few minutes walk...
    • Quadruple Room

Bergerac a bit dead on a Sunday

Very spacious apartment - free parking a few minutes walk away - wifi excellent - kitchen facilities very good - coffee machine with pods supplied - all essentials for cooking supplied - oil, salt etc - also great to have a washing machine - again detergent supplied - would definitely recommend

• Reviewed: July 25, 2017

Very nice hotel. .modern,clean, spacious and good value for money

No kettle with tea or coffee.

Very spacious room and bathroom and clean and updated. Staff were friendly and spoke English. Having the parking was great.Good pillows.

• Reviewed: July 19, 2017

Lovely quirky Hotel with excellent parking.

We were on the top floor where it was very hot so could do with air conditioning. Room very small as was the en- suite.

Lovely quirky Hotel with excellent parking. Very clean and well decorated.

• Reviewed: July 19, 2017

Cool hotel but very small rooms with no place at all to put the bags.

Extremely small rooms, very warm and not very helpful staff. Parking was a bit expensive. Badly temperated shower.

Good location and cool interior in common areas. Reception open 24h.

• Reviewed: July 14, 2017

Close proximity to harbor, easy walking distance

There was a overhead panel between the toilet and bathroom that was too low for anyone taller than about 1.7m. I kept bumping my head on it. There is no obvious reason why this could not be removed and solve this problem for everyone.

Close proximity to harbor, easy walking distance The art works on the walls, in the rooms and outside were enjoyable. The books were also very interesting reflecting the art theme in the hotel.

• Reviewed: July 6, 2017

All changed from 6 years ago and very disappointed.

Considered the shower dangerous. Heavily dimpled shower tray and difficult to maintain balance. Fell and injured hand and wrist. Reported accident to reception but receptionist did not seem too concerned. Room very small. No real lounge area as such - just chairs in a passageway. No air conditioning and as very hot, fans should have been readily available. Ran out of certain items at breakfast. Stayed 6 years ago and was then a lovely hotel retaining some of its character as an old building. Now, in our view, completely spoilt. My wife and I are elderly and found it all too 'jazzy'. Certainly feel warnings should be given about using the shower, and grab handles at minimum should be fitted.

• Reviewed: July 5, 2017

True Rochelle.

Elegant intellectual combination of an ancient 16th century building and modern design. Thought every little thing. Good cheerful staff. The location is next to the main Cathedral.

• Reviewed: June 25, 2017

Quirky rooms with comfortable beds and great location.
    • Quadruple Room

Noisy room on ground floor next to street, no fans or ac so room was hot. Lack of door between toilet and bedroom (only shower curtain and hanging chain screen).

Quirky rooms with comfortable beds and great location.

• Reviewed: June 25, 2017

Unfriendly and underwhelming

No air con. Room very cramped. Room not ready on time. Parking expensive (16 euro per night) compared to other places we stayed on this trip. Decor very ordinary in room - felt like a cheap budget hotel. Massively overpriced. Not inclined to try breakfast there due to poor impression overall.

Able to park securely on site but there are limited spaces - you must book parking in advance. Decor in main foyer quite funky.

• Reviewed: June 23, 2017

La Rochelle stay .

The hotel was very quirky with art all over the place . Different to your normal hotel . Would certainly stay here again . You would need sat nav to find this hotel as the surrounding area is made up of narrow streets .

• Reviewed: June 16, 2017

Location great but take your own fan

Did not reply to our request on the booking site to book a parking place, lots of steps to the 3rd floor, no cooling for the room and was very hot up the top, no fans either ( do not remember it being highlighted on the Booking website there as no cooling) you just assume today places are when average summer temp is over 30.

Comfy bed, good breakfast, location and parking on the property

• Reviewed: June 10, 2017

Beautiful, great location - spacious, clean, secure
    • Suite

Customer service at all times by all staff was excellent. Large, charming, comfortable suite with livingroom and 2 large bedrooms. Very comfortable and all amenities were of good quality (sheets, towels, blankets, pillows, etc). Secure parking for our car.

• Reviewed: June 7, 2017

Beautiful small hotel in a great location

The room was small and we could hear the people in the rooms next to us. A fan in the room would have been nice-it was raining so we could not keep our windows open.

The bed was comfortable. The location was excellent. Staff was very friendly. Decor was fun.

• Reviewed: June 4, 2017

Great central location.
    • Quadruple Room

No door on the bathroom! No garden just a courtyard but the children liked the ping pong table.

Reasonable sized quad room. Great staff. Perfect location.

• Reviewed: May 26, 2017

Hotel in the middle of the town - perfect, if you arive with...

Unfortunately we arrived on May 25th, 2017 where there was a big event in the town - would be nice if the hotel would have informed us before ..... but this happens only few times in the year and we had been the lucky ones :-(

Hotel in the middle of the town - perfect, if you arive with your car and make a reservation for a parking space. Rooms are very clean - a little bit small, but perfect if you are on the way south to Spain .....

• Reviewed: May 26, 2017

We arrived with a puncture on our motorbike, and the staff were extremely helpful in locating somewhere that might be able to help. They were also great in allowing us to park in the secure, entrance courtyard, which was much appreciated. The hotel is in a great location, being in the old part of La Rochelle.

• Reviewed: May 12, 2017

Lovely hotel.

Car park was full.. Breakfast has room for improvement.

Lovely hotel. Loved the music and art theme. Comfortable and cosy. Loved the bed & matress!

• Reviewed: April 25, 2017

A hotel like no other!

The room was quite small but more than comfortable for 2 of us.

The style of the hotel was brilliant, so unique and original, my girlfriend and I were really impressed with how it had been done. Staff were really welcoming , friendly and helpful. Good value for money. If we return to La Rochelle one day, I'm sure we will be making a reservation here again.

• Reviewed: April 18, 2017

The breakfast was very good and the hotel staff very helpful.

It is advisable to speak french in order to communicate with the hotel staff.

The breakfast was very good and the hotel staff very helpful. The hotel is completely refurbished and carefully decorated (in a modern way). The location is perfect.

• Reviewed: April 10, 2017

Stylish hotel in a super location.

No lift, room a little small, adequate for the weekend but too small for a week.

The location, parking and style. Different to chain hotels. Good beds, decent breakfast, every where was clean.

• Reviewed: March 21, 2017

The new Look

We stayed before and were really delighted to see the new look. So nice and modern. Staff as usual friendly and pleasant.Will use it next trip ,secure parking so essential ,La Rochelle a busy place.

• Reviewed: February 19, 2017

small room, good location, for short stay only and for couple (not baby friendly)

rooms are not as nice as the hotel. A lot of efforts were made in the hall, corridors but nothing comparable for the rooms unfortunately. - rooms were cold - rooms are very tiny (at least on the 2nd floor) with very little storage. - old and small shower - basic room (not even a kettle.. )

staff was friendly hotel is beautiful great location (no need to use the car)

• Reviewed: February 3, 2017

New owners,new spin

Room was very small and walls were paper thin so little privacy. A bar in France with no white wine? Mon Dieu.

Hotel location,parking availability and introduction of bar and new breakfast area. Some very interesting items to look at

• Reviewed: December 11, 2016

Great city centre location with a spacious car park. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Not an easy place to find without a satnav but well worth a little effort and perseverance. Breakfast was very basic but at least up to continental breakfast standards.

Right in the heart of La Rochelle and just a 10-minute walk from the picturesque and historic harbour. The hotel was open and staffed 24/7 with friendly and intelligent staff.

• Reviewed: November 22, 2016

Bedroom and bathroom were rather small. No lift

Great location for exploring the town and access to restaurants. Staff were very helpful. Breakfast was good

• Reviewed: October 17, 2016

Comfortable and convenient

For info - no kettle or refreshment facilities in room. Shower over bath and not ideal for larger chaps !! Toiletries = one shower gel sachet ! Suited us as stopover to onward journey !

Quiet, great location, helpful staff. Clean, newly refurbished, fun decor !

• Reviewed: October 3, 2016

Superb experience for those who like a little more.

Nothing. All perfect.

Staff super friendly. Bedroom great size, comfy comfy bed. Hotel had great design with some quirky paintings which totally added to the experience. Very close to the old port and all of the cafes and shopping, minutes walk. Will be going back to La Rochelle for weekend just to stay in this Hotel. Totally recommend it.

• Reviewed: September 30, 2016

Excellent restaurants near by - Superb location

Didn't like the loo situation - A small see thru curtain - no privacy

Themed rooms - Décor - not to good an entrance for a wheel chair user (occasional)

• Reviewed: September 26, 2016

Great location in easy walking distance of shops and restaurants.

Very small room, basic facilities - no kettle, coffee, tea, etc.

Excellent secure parking which must be booked in advance. Not sure Booking.com made this clear.

• Reviewed: September 25, 2016

Unique style in the city centre

Nothing - all perfect.

In the heart of the city yet with a unique style within the hotel. The self-service breakfast was ideal and with a good range of food. Having a cap park was perfect ... make sure you book a place! (we did and I am so glad we did).

• Reviewed: September 24, 2016

Pop Art in La Rochelle

Only tea in the room no coffee but a small bemoan

An excellent and unique hotel. Had the privilege to stay in the Beatles room. I travel a lot and I can safely say that this hotel is one of the most unique that I have stayed in. If you enjoy music and therefore life, this is one for you!

• Reviewed: September 22, 2016

Great location but too small.

The room was way too small for a couple.we ordered a twin room and there wasn't enough room for the two beds unless you pushed them together. There's no air conditioning so we had to leave the window open which was next to the street this made it rather noisy. The breakfast at 11 euro was too expensive for what was on offer.

They had a good shower which isn't always the case and it was very clean. The artwork was interesting and added an individual touch. It was good to get parking in the courtyard but cost another 10 euros per night. Staff were lovely

• Reviewed: September 18, 2016

A GREAT PLACE TO STAY - AND GREAT RESTAURANTS AND BARS NEARBY, AS WELL AS BAR IN HOTEL

Shower fixed to wall, and air con.

Really comfy beds and soft towels. Lots of pictures of famous rock stars around the hotel, very good selection for breakfast. Non pretentious, and really relaxing stay in a quiet street but in the heart of La Rochelle. Location so good.

• Reviewed: September 6, 2016

All the C's (Chic, Contrmporary, Clean and Comfortable)
    • Quadruple Room

You only get a couple of sachets of shower gel/body wash and nothing else so bring your own toiletries

Love the art pieces dotted around this hotel. Enjoyed the reading corner and badminton in the courtyard. The breakfast buffet was extremely good value.

• Reviewed: September 4, 2016

a haven of peace in the middle of La Rochelle

Wifi not really effective, just barely enough to receive emails if one is lucky

Great staff, clean decor and varied breakfast with the bonus of a secure car park. Will definitely go back next year. What a charming place!

• Reviewed: August 29, 2016

Would definitely recommend.

We booked too late to get a parking place, and it was a bit of a nightmare navigating the one-way system to the public parking. Got the hang of it 6th time round, though, and overnight cost was only 8 euros.

Very clean, friendly staff. Lovely owner. Small room, but comfy bed, and quiet overnight. Good location close to centre.

• Reviewed: August 17, 2016

Lovely staff, clean rooms decorated in an eclectic style...

Rooms were quite small. No aircon which required open windows. Noisy late at night and early morning. Why on earth don't the French provide top sheets in summer? quilts or coverlets are far too hot when there is no aircon. Surprised there was no mini bar (fridge) or kettle to make a cuppa.

Lovely staff, clean rooms decorated in an eclectic style which was nice. Comfy bed. Parking on site. Walking distance to everything.

• Reviewed: August 16, 2016

Excellent position in the center of La Rochelle.

Breakfast is okay, but could be improved with a touch of "produits du terroir".

Excellent position in the center of La Rochelle. We got a nice small bedroom under the roofs and it was so cute and cosy! Nice view of the roofs of the city. Staff was gentle and attentive. Hotel is very "British" style!!! Decoration ++

• Reviewed: August 16, 2016

Quirky but great B&B

Air conditioning would be nice.

The location is perfect, just a short stroll from the harbour area. This place is quirky and whoever is responsible for the decor has a wonderful sense of humour. Staff are great, the rooms are comfortable and breakfast good. To also have parking this close to the centre is a major plus IMO.

• Reviewed: August 9, 2016

Great town centre location hotel

Rooms are slightly on the small side, but very clean

Location is great for main town centre, private parking is excellent but make sure you let them know you require a parking space