Reviews of Hôtel Le Petit Palais 4 stars

17, Av. Emile Bieckert, 06000 Nice, France

#5 of 169 hotels in Nice

i can not find any negative points about this place.

The hotel is located in an elegant residential area of Cimiez, also favored by Queen Victoria in the past. The rooms are very clean and stylish in beige and brown tone . My room had a spectacular view of Nice. The hotel manager is very knowledgeable and helpful with a good sense of humor. I am planning to return to Hotel Le Petit Palais next year. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Classic Double Room

Despite it being labeled as smoke-free, it is not. My room was right next to the restaurant/bar and I saw people smoking there multiple times. My room definitely smelled of smoke. I asked to be moved to another room, and I was told I could not. The next night, my room was full of ants - all over the bathroom and in the bedroom. They were on/in my luggage. I again asked to be moved, and again I was told I could not. The overnight staff person did not look surprised about the ants, and he told me this was "the experience" and that the ants are not troublesome. He said if I want something different, to go "downtown". The next morning I moved downtown - the manager who was there was very kind and removed the breakfast charges from my account. HOWEVER, they still charged me for the last night of the reservation, which I did not stay in the hotel for (for the reasons above), and for the price and ratings this hotel gets - the expectation (and right thing to do) was for that to have been refunded.

Very friendly staff. Other guests all seemed very happy.

• Classic Double Room

Rooms weren't the largest though we'll layed out. Great area but a hilly walk to and from the property.

Close to the city but not in the thick of it. Great private outdoor area to enjoy the sun, really informative and friendly staff!

• Classic Double Room

The room was a bit outdated (although quiet and clean). Also please get a new ironing set! :D

Location a bit off the centre but beautiful and a very quiet neighbourhood! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Especially the guy at shift on check-in on Tuesday evening and later on Friday and Saturady evenings!

No tea/coffee maker

View from the room was fabulous, would benefit from tea/coffee making facilities in the room given that there are no shops or restaurants close by.

Not the fault of the hotel but Nice out of season is not that great (it rained almost every day!)

Service at reception was very good - makes such a difference!

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The location, a slog up the hill (10 minutes). Will need a taxi/uber (which surprisingly works well in Nice) in the summer. Some inter room noise but this is being solved with extra insulation in the spring.

Patrick is a wonderful host and really cares for both his guests and the property. Nice view over the city/sea, at €20 breakfast is a bit expensive but excellent. Rooms nicely cared for with good attention to detail ~ see his/her bath robes

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Two points : they didn't speicify breakfast was not included nor the price - it was very unpleasant surprise at the end to see the. Very expansive "add on" on the bill. Shower presentation in the shower is a bit cheap taste. But besides it was very good

Service was very nice , staff is very professional nice and efficient. Rooms are beautiful with taste and beautiful view on the sea. Breakfasts are great too

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

I liked the location, but some might not like it because it's a bit of a long walk from the downtown area and is a quite a bit uphill.

Excellent views of the city and the Mediterranean from some of the rooms. Lovely, cozy vibe. Nice quiet neighborhood location. Don't forget to meet the parrot who lives in the bar and makes the sound of a champagne cork opening.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The hotel is located a little far from the city, but it is positioned on the hillside with an excellent view of the city and the Mediterranean, which I consider better than being centrally located. Uber is cheap and available!

The staff was beyond helpful and the room was excellent. My vacation did not go smoothly (cancelled flights, hospital visits) but the staff truly helped in every capacity they could! I am forever grateful for their kindness and helpfulness. The room itself was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the view was amazing! If I ever return to the south of France (should I be so lucky!) I fully intend to stay here again. The hotel is only rated four stars, but I truly felt like I got five star treatment. I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know!

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

- the walls between the rooms are very thin. You hear every noise (talking, cough, tv, etc.) from the neighbour-room, which decrease the sleeping quality very strong. - small bathroom - although a 4-star hotel, there is not a single kettle in the room, for making a tea or coffee.

- tastefully decorated, nice furnished rooms - good quality bed linen - hotel has a style and charme - good, quiet, tranquil surroundings with nice villas - beautiful view to Nice (at least from our room) Summary: nice, but overpriced hotel, and although the bed linen and the bed was comfortable and the hotel is very quietly situated, because of the thin walls between the rooms it was a bad sleeping experience. If noise from other room does not disturb you, you will have a great stay.

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The staff were truly exceptional! nothing was too much trouble. They took time to speak to their guests and understand what guests were looking for whether it was a recommendation for restaurants or some other query. Each guest was made to feel really important to all of the hotel staff. The facilities were thoughtfully provided and the comfort and ambience around the hotel were superb. I won't hesitate to return as soon as I can!

Wifi erratic in the bedrooms (1st floor). When mentioned to a receptionist the response was "sometimes in life..." I didn't want a philosophical lecture from him, I just wanted to use wifi in my room! For the cost of this hotel, I don't think that is unreasonable. Breakfast a bit steeply priced at 20 euros. Access from town up a steep hill (10 mins with a suitcase) - not so good in hot weather.

Peaceful, comfortable, well maintained and quiet hotel. Nice terrace with seating and fresh air. Polite pleasant staff.

• Classic Double Room

Ocassional noise from motorbikes in the neighborhood....just part of city like but noisy if the window is open.

A wonderful place to stay out of the tourist beach areas. Our room had a lovely view of the city and partial view of the sea. Breakfast buffet was superb.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The hotel was about a 25 minute walk (downhill) to the port and "old town". This leaves you with sobering walk back

The hotel itself was very good, with a great view of Nice from the room we had. The staff were very obliging and friendly

• Classic Double Room

We didn't not like anything about the hotel was fantastic excellent for the money much better than a five-star hotel and niece simply due to the fact that France is a place for boutique hotels rather than the larger size hotels.

Great service, very friendly, excellent location if you're from the United States been picture the Hollywood hills in California very similar look and feel over and looking Nice. Excellent choice if you are in Nice .

• Triple Room with Sea View

Availability of coffee making facilities in the room would have been a plus

Quiet location but within walking distance of the center of Nice. Friendly and helpful staff and good facilities

Really great Hotel. Small old Villa in the hills above Nice (10min walk to centre) with astonishing view located in calm neighbourhood. Lovely people & service. Will come again. Merci.

• Triple Room with Sea View

I would advise to use the #15 bus to return to the hotel if you do not want to walk back up the hill. Taxis are unreliable and start charging you as soon as they are dispatched to pick you up. I had several taxis with 15 Euro on the meter when they picked me up at the restaurant.

The sea view room was outstanding! The staff went well out of their way to make us feel at home and were very professional. The Breakfast was by far the best I have had in Europe. My Daughter also enjoyed interacting with The Parrot that was at the Hotel.

• Classic Double Room

Would like to see a premium gin and vodka behind the bar ing with fever tree mixers. The prices charged are at the top end and therefore the quality of the spirits and mixers should match these

The most friendly and helpful staff I have experienced

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The pool was green and no-one swam even though it was very hot; the service was a little snooty; it was quite a walk to the old town

The view over the city of Nice to the sea was lovely: the breakfast in the little garden was nice if expensive; the rooms were elegant; it was quiet

The only things I would have liked were a flatter pillow, and possibly a small kettle for making tea/ coffee. Both things are important to me, but I'm aware that that's a personal thing...

Beautifully presented rooms overlooking Nice and the Cote D'Azur in a most attractive old villa on a hill overlooking the old part of town. Amazing breakfast buffet and super friendly, very helpful staff!

• Classic Double Room

Location is uphill and not many restaurants nearby

Very nice hotel away from the busy center but still walking distance, clean rooms, friendly staff and funny parrot Jaco in the garden.

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

A bit of a walk to public transport and cafes. Planning needed for excursions. Nice Ville train station is easy to find but 20 Minutes away. The views are amazing on the walks but quite steep. You need to be fit.

The garden breakfast and views from the room were sensational. Definitely stay on the repeat visit list. Excellent staff and compact amenities. The pool area is very well organised. Clarins product in the bathroom sealed the deal.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The bathroom was not set up in a very practical way. As tall people we struggled to sit on the toilet properly because it was squeezed into a corner with the sink basin counter directly in front of it. Almost no leg room at all there. The bed was one of those classic European "doubles" (basically two twin mattresses in a double-size box frame), so I found myself sleeping in that inevitable crack in the middle which was not very comfortable.

The staff are extremely friendly and very professional. We accidentally overstayed past the check-out time and they were polite and so nice about it. Our room was a corner room with an excellent view, and breakfast was acceptable. I cannot emphasise enough how kind, friendly, polite and professional all the staff were. They really made the experience. The hotel is set on a hillside with fantastic views over the city towards the sea. We walked into town and it took about 30 minutes to reach the beach. Walking back, once you reach the leafy neighbourhood where the hotel is located, be prepared for an uphill trek. There are steps to get up the hill more quickly and that part of the hike only takes about 15 minutes so if you don't have dodgy knees or poor health it is very doable.

I loved it all.

Small intimate hotel which conveys the feeling of Old World Europe the moment you drive up. Beautiful view of Nice and the Sea from my room. Beautiful and comfortable decor throughout. Beautiful neighborhood and quick walk to restaurants and the Chagall and Matisse Museums, Monastery and gardens. Tema at the front desk was exceptionally warm and welcoming and gave great suggestions for meals and activities. Phillipe at the front desk was also most pleasant in assisting me with my luggage and taxi arrangements. Beautiful courtyard below, for breakfast, with a pleasantly chatty resident African Grey parrot.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

This hotel is a little gem in Nice. The only downside is that it is a little far from the old city but this inconvenient was not enough to detract from wanting to stay at the hotel. We loved it.

• Triple Room with Sea View

Pool is very small, but just a minor negative.

Loved the location and the walk back up the hill. The hotel was extremely comfortable and breakfast was excellent. Staff were very friendly.

• Classic Double Room

For the price I think breakfast should be included. While it was an excellent breakfast, and for a price one could order omlette and specialty coffees (capuccino, for example), it still was similar to many breakfasts we've enjoyed at other establishments that were included in the cost. Our room was right beside the reception desk and there was occasional noise...especially in the morning as other guests checked out. Again, given the price, I would have expected the room to be a bit larger. Perhaps I am simply unused to the cost of lodging in Nice.

The location of the Petit Palais is lovely...up overlooking Nice. The staff are all well trained and exceptionally friendly. The bed was comfortable and the linens and towels of top quality. Air conditioning is available for those inevitable hot summer days.

Room size

Very Nice breakfast and very friendly and helpful staff from the Front desk to the restaurant manager / serving staff. Location is nice but not right at the beach or main area - we needed to take the car. Room (the largest available) was well laid out but honestly a bit too squeezed in, although our 7yr old son liked his separate cozy bed. The high point remains the staff and the well kept nature of the property.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

Treatment and attitude towards Americans. The owner was out of his mind. He was a real elitist and a condesending lunitic for nothing! After prepaying for four nites and being charged $500.00 9 mos before our stay.....when it was pay @the hotel,there was no bar soap or shampoo in the room! When we left each and every morning,we hung out the do not disturb sign and they came in each and every day and moved things around. But.....they forgot to fill up the all inclusive "shower gel" both in the shower and by the sink. So late at nite, they had to reluctantly replace it. One morning....saw the maid cart and took a shampoo & creme rinse for my wife, in full view of the maid. That morning,as we were leaving,we were accosted by the owner,a creepy leprochon sort of fellow,screaming & ranting & raving that we took the shampoo. 'Couldn't get a word in as he was constantly yelling & then told us we should leave! My wife was practicaly in tears. Really, if we had only backpacks,we would have just left!

The remote location and quietness. Although the walls were quite thin and you heard a lot of the goings on"from the other rooms! After all it was an old converted mini-mansion. Oh,the african grey parrot was the best!

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Classic Double Room

Everything was perfection at le Petit Palais. My partner and I look forward to returning again and again. In particular, Phillipe at the front deak was the absolute best. Charming and so helpful.

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

This was small but very cozy clean boutique style hotel. Lovely breakfast, way much more than typical french style. Hotel in easy to reach place to center town on Nice all restaurants and shops. Took us about 10 - 15 minutes by foot. We got rooms in top season for very acceptable price, so it is nice balance of service and expenses.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The hotel is in a residential area and it is extremely high up a hill to get to anything. The rooms are small and the swimming pool is tiny and shaded for much of the day.

The staff were fantastic & very helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

TV has only one English speaking channel - CNN. Bath/shower has a design fault resulting in water flooding out over the floor. It's a good 1km walk downhill/uphill to the centre of Nice and to the train station - okay if fit, otherwise taxi required.

Very quiet location, helpful staff, high quality fit out. Large room with balcony and great sea view (we were upgraded - thanks). Ample sized en-suite with bath/shower.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The staff was very accommodating! I forgot a very special necklace and left it in the safe. I was lucky enough to have the staff find it for me and then send it from France to the US. I am so grateful to them!!!!

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

The property was under construction during my stay, so it was quite noisy during the day.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, their great service made me definitely want to go back in my future visits to Nice.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hotel Le Petit Palais, the whole experience was excellent. The building is located in a beautiful residential area with other large and architecturally significant building surrounding it. The hotel itself is a wonderful old building, very well maintained with gardens that are accessed from the dining room / bar. The room was very well appointed, comfortable bed, well fitted out bathroom and (in our case) opened onto the garden with it's own small patio complete with table, chairs and cushions on the chairs. All of the staff were very friendly, from the minute you walk up to the desk you felt welcomed and in good hands. The staff gave us lots of really valuable insight into the area, information about the things to do and places to visit, also about the public transport (buses and trains). We would highly recommend the hotel and plan to visit again in the future.

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast at 20 euros per person was in our view too expensive for our needs (we only wanted continental breakfast) so we declined breakfast and ate it elsewhere.

Warmth of the welcome we received matched the warmth of our room.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

I never like to write reviews because there is always something that drives me nuts but the Petite Plalais was real nice. The staff was very accommodating. The room was fabulous and the breakfast was very good. We tried the room service and it was very good. Our grandson of 6 years old is a very picky eater and it was the only meal he would eat.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Classic Double Room

Room somewhat small and noisy.

Well situated above the city with a fantastic view, at walking distance of old city; breakfast not cheap but more than worth its price; very fine service.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The hotel is about a 20 minute walk downhill to the center. For us this was fine, but might be a problem for some people.

This is a friendly and small hotel, the staff was very helpful. The views from the room over the city and to the sea are amazing.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

the breakfast is very expensive [we did not have there. Went to one of the nice cafes / within walking distance. going uphill back to the hotel can be little tiring at the end of the day... but then this helps to get rid of the extra calories gained in the good restaurants of Nice

beautiful hotel overlooking Nice. Our rooms were on the 2nd floor so a breathtaking view of the city. very comfortable beds and rooms spacious enough. The guy in the reception was very helpful and cordial. 20 min nice walk to the old city, 10 min to restaurants

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

The location is EXTREMELY difficult to find and signage is practically non existent. Parking is very very difficult and I am glad we reserved a spot at an extra charge. My major objection is their policy of charging your card the FULL amount upon reserving and their stringent cancelation policy. It is a small hotel so that may be somewhat understandable.

Beautifully decorated boutique hotel with old world elegant charm. Beds were wonderful. Staff was very accommodating. Toiletries were.very nice. Breakfast was excellent although expensive.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

The rooms are quite noisy. If people are leaving early in the morning you can hear everything.

Breakfast was great and the rooms are nice with a comfortable outside.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Smoking in breakfast room/ bar area.

Charming hotel with very friendly staff. Easy walk into city; lovely garden area; peaceful residential neighborhood.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

• Triple Room with Garden View

The pool was rather small, but hey, it's a tiny pool area--nothing they can do about that.

The staff were very helpful, friendly and accommodating. They gave us great directions and tips about the sites we planned to visit.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Relatively small rooms. Bathroom with shower only. Small pool but not many people.

Location is great with a nice view over the city. Close to the congress center. Value for money

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Everything about the hotel lives up to other reviews. Staff and rooms were great and breakfast fab with plent of choice. Hotel situated in a residential area and a bit of a walk back up, but worth it as the hotel is quiet in the evenings. Would definitely recommend this hotel

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

All the staff from the front of house, cleaners and owners (we think) were friendly, helpful and always willing to help from fantastic dinner recommendations to refreshments, taxis and even sorting out an iron and an ironing board. They not only accommodates us by our bikes too with no trouble. The hotel itself was immaculately clean, the view from room 303 was mesmerising, I could sit and stare out of the window all day and night. The drinks and snacks at the hotel were absolutely delicious. We treated ourselves to the morning buffet on our final morning and it was beautiful wish we had it every morning. The location of the hotel was slightly out of town which perfectly suited us but may not be ideal for all. I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here! Thank you for a wonderful end to our journey.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Triple Room with Garden View

Wi-fi logged you out after a few minutes inactivity which was a nuisance.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful, a credit to the hotel. A very personable hotel that I would recommend to anyone. Breakfast was very good but it would be nice to have that included in the price.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Exquisite!!!!! Absolutely everything about this place from staff, to comfort, cleanliness, beauty of the building's exterior and details inside... impeccably tasteful! We enjoyed being a short walk out of the core of the city. (Quiet and safe.) Being up on a hill provided an astounding view! Love - love - love!

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Not a complain, just a suggestion. I know it's expensive to run small hotels and they have too keep catering prices high. But it would be a great added value it they would lower prices for wine. Just buy a few boxes of decent Rose and offer it in the pool area for 5EUR. Otherwise - that's my favourite hotel in Nice from now.

It all started with the check-in, where Philippe from the reception met us like his family. Always smiling, helpful and so nice. We've got an expensive room - terrace and the sea view and it was worth it. The hotel shines with it's location: very quite residential area, on a hill with a great view over Nice. If you book it, you should be OK with walking uphill. It's about 15-20 min walk uphill from the city. We like walking, so it was perfect. Comfort is great. Beds are of very high quality, near perfect sound isolation (you can not isolate that funny parrot in the garden, who says "bonjour" every morning). Great pool area with sunbeams and a small pool. The hotel is not big, so the area is not overcrowded. We actually cancelled our plans for the city and stayed at the hotel because of this pool area.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Triple Room with Sea View

We wished that coffee and tea were available during the day.

Thankfully, we had a room with a wonderful view of the city, and we were able to watch the Bastille Day fireworks from our balcony. The location was ideal for visiting art museums, however, they were all closed due to the terrorist attack. We enjoyed eating our daily breakfasts in the shaded courtyard. The staff was kind and courteous, and made us feel truly welcome.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Triple Room with Garden View

Staff were very knowledgable & extremely helpful. Always on hand, nothing was too much trouble. Very relaxed atmosphere, the pool & terraced garden was ideal for escaping the heat of the sun. Stayed a week & enjoyed every minute. Jacko, the resident African grey parrot was a delightful distraction & just added a touch of entertainment to a very fulfilling vacation.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Triple Room with Sea View

We didn't mind, but the hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the beach. A smile price to pay for that gorgeous view.

The staff was great. Florent was working when we checked in and he is wonderful - very kind and courteous. The view from our room was absolutely stunning. We loved everything about this boutique hotel.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

The service was excellent with the staff being very attentive. The location is in a quieter part of town however within relatively comfortable walking distance of all the main attractions, from museums to the Promenade des Anglais.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Triple Room with Garden View

The welcoming and attention of staff, very helpful. Restful, olde world hotel to stay in, lovely pool and garden area where good coffee was available with a smile.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

A fabulous hotel nestled in the hills overlooking beautiful Nice. A 15 minute stroll down to the old town bars and restaurants (it's a hilly walk back though but taxi was only a few Euros). The staff were lovely throughout our stay and couldn't do enough to cater for our requests. There is a lovely little pool in a very picturesque setting.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

There was nothing about this hotel that was unsatisfactory.

Everything about our stay in this hotel was perfect, the staff were so friendly and helpful, showing us to our room personally - the room was lovely and clean, we had a garden room which had a little patio area to sit out on which was fantastic - would go back there in a heart beat.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Classic Double Room

It doesn't worth it. The hotel is on the mountain, you need to walk 10min to the boulevard and take public transport. Location is not near to all sightseeings. Too expensive. Room is very small.

The breakfast is good, various choices. Shower gel and shampoo quite good. Colleges nice.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Classic Double Room

The hotel is located away from the centre and is on a hill. There are no restaurants or bars in the immediate vicinity, so there is a walk up and down the hill or the need for a car or use of taxis.

Good hotel in a quiet, up market location with very friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast. Good facilities in the room. Terraced area with a small pool for relaxation.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Triple Room with Garden View

The shower has fine fixtures & marble, but was very poorly designed - I've never seen anything like it! - with partial glass on the sides and open in the middle. The design allows the water to spray outside of the shower - and it's impossible to avoid. We arrived late and the first night I noticed the carpet was very wet outside of the bathroom. The next morning when I went to take a shower, I understood why. They really need to fix the poorly designed shower.

Comfortable room & bed with a lovely view overlooking Nice, France. Excellent breakfast buffet.

Stayed in May 2016

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Up a hill, so a lovely view but a hard walk back.

Convenient but.......

All good no improvements

Staff lovely room lovely beautiful location

• Classic Double Room

The quiet area, views, lovely staff, walking distance to the city centre

Although the room was small, the private bathroom was nice, and it was just what I needed. Beautiful breakfast, helpful and friendly staff.

The staff were so friendly and helpful!

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

balcony would have been great and pool area open.

Very good breakfast, friendly personnel and quiet surroundings.

Extremely helpful staff

Comfortable, inviting, beautiful.

• Triple Room with Garden View

Staff was friendly and helpful. David went out of his way to make our stay most comfortable.

Everything was perfect

• Triple Room with Sea View

The view on Nice, Nice breakfast and warm welcome.

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

staff was great. room was great. view was great. location was great but little far from good restaurants