Reviews of Hôtel Le Saphir 2 stars

3 Rue Gaston Larre, 64200 Biarritz, France

#21 of 136 hotels in Biarritz

Gem of a property in the perfect location!
    • Comfort Double Room

We didn’t eat at the hotel so I can’t comment on food...

The staff were excellent and really helpful. Location is perfect, just a 10min wall to biarritz main beach but a hive of activity around you.

Very helpful staff and great location! Would use again!

There was no AC (which was an oversight on my behalf when I booked the room) but maybe it would be nice to supply fans in the rooms? I must admit, I didn't ask at the hotel as it didn't bother me too much, so they may offer this! But I could imagine in the full summer heat it could be very hot at night.

The staff were fantastic here! Due to ATC strikes, we had to cut our trip short and the staff very extremely helpful! The room was small, but very clean and fit for purpose. We were lucky enough to have a little balcony which was lovely. The location was great too, everything was a short walk away

Good spot for one-night stopover and central to all bars, shops and restaurants.

However, remember 11am check-out, so beware! Oversight on our part as we thought it was 12 noon, despite profuse apologies, "gentleman" at desk was very rude and abrupt when we checked out at 11.20am. His manner was unacceptable and left a bad taste. I will be making a complaint to the hotel directly. He basically opened the door and told us to 'leave'!

Great location - central to all bars, restaurants and shops in the port area. Ideal for one-night stopover - but not for a long-stay as room is quite small, no A/C and bathroom is tiny. Early check-in was prompt and Annie at front desk was very pleasant and accommodating, suggesting places to eat, sight-seeing etc. She was 'trés jolie'!

Perfect location, very central.

Perfect location, very central. Staff gave some great tips on places to go and things to see in Biarritz. Had to make a change to the booking at the last minute and there was was no problem. Lovely quaint hotel would recommend.

Best location in Biarritz

It was somewhat loud during the weekend nights from the bar across the street

Great location steps from the Vieux Port. Helpful personnel and decent rooms

I would have loved to stay longer.

The weather – but can’t blame the hotel for that! Otherwise, a really great experience.

Very friendly and helpful welcome. Rooms simple, but well laid-out, and absolutely spotless. Good central location for exploring Biarritz on foot.

Fantastic, familial hotel - absolutely recommendable!

No complaints whatsoever!

Excellent little hotel in the very best part of Biarritz, at a very fair price/quality ratio (at least during this off-season...). We have stayed in this hotel before - one of our absolute favorites in Biarritz. Of special notes: very quiet, fantastic beds. Bathroom a little bit on the small side, but perfect. Parking: try your luck at the public parking "Vieux Port" (free on Sunday) , or pay your ransom to the public parking lot at "Place St. Eugenie". Beware that the hotel reception closes by 19:00.

Recently renewed super located small and nice hotel

Room on the street a little bit noisy because of the bar just in front of the hotel. Parking in Biarritz is a nightmare, do not waste time and go straight to an Indigo parking lot, 3 minute walking from the hotel.

Location in the very middle of the city, very helpful staff, good french breakfast with croissant and baguette, powerful WiFi. The hotel has been recently renewed and is very clean.

Very Central but Parking Very Difficult....

The room was rather small and the bathroom was very tiny with only a small sliding door separating it from our bedroom. The mattress is the bed seemed well used and would have benefited from being turned over... The hotel does not have any allocated car parking space and there is no public garage close so it is up to guests to find a car space on their own in this busy town. We did manage to find a space some way away from the hotel - but during the summer it must be a complete nightmare trying to find a car parking space in this very busy town.... Parking in public spaces outside the summer months is however free - which was a bonus...

Very nice, helpful and friendly staff. The hotel is very centrally located in the old town and we were very fortunate to have been allocated a room facing the street - we like to see a bit of life from our room. There is a small, pretty and very protected beach at a short walking distance from the hotel (4-5 minutes) - just a shame that when we were there (end of October) the weather did not allow for swimming....

Modern Hotel with Compact rooms in the centre of town

Although very modern, our room (Nr 2) has got to be the smallest/compact double room we have ever stayed in. I glanced into Room 3 and it was slightly bigger but how the architect got a shower/sink & toilet into the space he did is nothing short of a miracle!

A little difficult to find as my Garmin SatNav has not updated all the one-way system changes in Biarittz. However we were able park about 200 meters away and walk up to the Hotel to get directions for the very helpful Manager. We found the bed was comfortable and the Wi-Fi good. It was an easy walk to the main attractions Biarittz has to offer and there are plenty good restaurants and cafe's open if you want breakfast in the morning. It really is a beautiful town when the sun it out.

Good location;
    • Comfort Double Room

The description on Booking of the Comfort Double Room is misleading: there is only 1 room in the hotel with terrace!

Good location; the room is comfortable; the street is noisy during summer nights, not possible to sleep with open windows, if it is a hot night it could be a problem.

A beautiful small hotel in an excellent location!

Nothing !

Hotel Le Saphir was excellent! We were made very welcome from start to finish! The owners were very understanding about a problem we had with a Ryanair flight cancellation which we very much appreciated! The reception area was bright and airy and the bedrooms were spotlessly clean and decorated in soft tasteful colours. The bed was brilliant and the linen was of an excellent quality- crisp and fresh smelling. I wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again!

A lovely little hotel perfect for our short stay

I would have preferred more variety at breakfast but understand it's the standard French breakfast. Some eggs for example

The manager was very helpful. Parking is very difficult but he made this as easy as possible by letting us leave the car in the reserved space and giving detailed directions to nearest car park. Rooms are spacious and lovely. Location is perfect. Bars, shops etc just outside the door. Beach very close. Coffee in the morning very good.

Perfect location, friendly staff.

I was actually surprised for the positive reviews about the cleaning. Our room was not exactly spotless, the carpeted floor was full of what looked like breadcrumbs and we even found some little trash from the previous guests. We were there 3 days and the first one nobody cleaned the room, so the dirt was there until the day before we left. We know Biarritz is expensive, but we paid around 130€ per night for a tiny twin and we didn't even get our beds done.

The hotel is located in the best area of Biarritz, lively neighborhood, plenty of options. The staff was really helpful and accommodating.

Amazing location.

Parking. They said they had it; upon arrival it was 'full'. The multi-storey car park is then a 10 minute walk away and dropping bags off outside the hotel with the pedestrian, one way streets is quite a task!

Amazing location. Next door to so many bars and restaurants. Comfortable small room. Great shower. Nice breakfast.

Good small hotel in great location

Parking was difficult but that is not unusual in Biarritz during the Summer. However no payment required at the weekend . You just have to find one! The hotel is in a noisy party area .

Very friendly helpful staff in well located small hotel.

Great location!
    • Comfort Double Room

Not the hotels fault but street noise is an issue for rooms at the front of the hotel. Thankfully we had earplugs.

Bed was very comfy, staff were very helpful and friendly. They lent us beach towels. Hotel was spotless and clean.

Renovated hotel in the center and close to the beach
    • Comfort Double Room

bar close to the hotel may cause some noise at the night (take ear plugs with you)

service attitude of the receptionist, location in the center close to the beach and shops, quality of the continental breakfast with fresh bread, juice and coffee and an access to a garden

fab short stay in Biarritz!
    • Comfort Double Room

only given one card key for the room. it deactivated and we had to call in the middle of the night to get the skeleton key. no yoghurt or cheese at breakfast.

bathroom blinds automatic. size of the room was nicely big. location in the centre of everything.

Excellent Stay way above its 2 star rating

Alain and Annie were fantastic hosts and the hotel is far beyond its two star rating, very bright clean rooms, and the best are fantastically comfy. Great shower and toilet facilities. I can highly recommend this hotel

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Clean, Friendly & Beautiful Location

Personally, I would have liked a kettle in the room but this wasn't of any issue as there are many coffee shops nearby.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel room was fairly petit, however, it was very clean and well looked after. Situated just a 3 minute walk to the beach and 30 seconds away from Restaurants & bars. Ideal for a short getaway and would most definitely return.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Perfect location!!

May have been slightly squished with 2 people but was perfect for just myself!!

Perfect for a solo traveller as the rooms were on the smaller side. Excellent location!!

Great location, amazing stuff, they made my birthday a perfect day :) Thank you!

Wi fi was not working properly in the rooms.

Staff was really really kind and helpful Room perfectly clean and nicely decorated Shower was great Perfect location

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Perfect location
    • Comfort Double Room

The rooms are small, so might not be suitable if you have too much luggage (or just upgrade to a bigger room!)

The staff is amazing. It's my second time staying at the hotel, and both times they went above and beyond. We arrived at 10 am on the day of check-in and they allowed us to check in early, chilled a bottle of champaign for us and offered glasses and beach blankets to take with us and were super helpful throughout.

Just what you are looking for

Anna the receptionist was really friendly and helpful. The hotel is located close to the ocean and the bars and restaurants are only a 5min walk away.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Very comfortable stay in Biarritz

Nothing really to point out except the room space which is limited. I guess this is normal in old part of french towns and once can well bear, but still is a minus aspect.

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Room and hotel conditions were very good overall. I requested a room at the back, hence I was not molested by the street noise. Recommended and would come back again!

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Excellent choice for a few days in Biarritz.
    • Comfort Double Room

Default breakfast was coninental, just sweet things (jams and nutella), full of carbohydrate (coissane, baguette) and butter. No coldcuts or cheese. Being a diabetic this was a bit poor for me. Surely if I would ask something else they would have satidfied my needs, but did not. It is my fault.

Practically everything. The owner and the staff are all very nice people, the hotel is calmed and clean and nice, room was perfect, bathroom clean and modern. Price is moderate.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Good place to stay!

Very welcoming and friendly. The room was spotless. The location was excellent, great for walking to the beach and the town center. On our last day, the staff was very helpful in arranging a taxi for us.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Handy for downtown Biarritz.

Bathroom compact! Not a lot of room. Difficult to find in the car. Parking a bit of a lottery. Breakfast traditional French, ie no fruit or eggs.

Central location. Owner helpful. Smart room.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Lovely place to stay

Everything was lovely. The hotel was immaculate, shower worked wonderfully with good water pressure ,the bed was comfortable. The location was especially nice only being a two minute walk to the beach cove. Most especially, Annie and the staff were so very helpful!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Perfect hotel.

Absolutely nothing

Perfect hotel in the perfect location in Biarritz. So relaxed, staff very friendly and helpful. Stones throw from the beach and surrounded with lovely restaurants. Wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in Biarritz it ticks all the boxes for us.

I would stay there again if parking was easier.

There was no on site parking and parking was a nightmare. Our room was opposite a bar which was very noisy until very late.

Very friendly and helpful and very clean.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Bed bugs and rude management!

I had an awful experience at Hotel Le Saphir. I woke up at 2:00am to find my bed crawling with bed bugs. But this review isn't so much about the bed bugs, as about the reaction and treatment of the hotel management. As there is no staff / management at this property over night, I had to wait until 7:30am. When the gentleman arrived in the morning, I spoke with both the owner (on the phone) and her colleague - neither were sympathetic to my situation, nor did they seem overly concerned about the bed bugs. As this was the first of 2 nights I had booked into this hotel, I was told the hotel was fully booked and I'd have to go find another hotel (which was actually fine as I wouldn't have stayed another night anyway), but the hotel management didn't offer any support or suggestions, other than that they thought Biarritz was booked as it was Friday night, and that I may need to go to a different town to find a hotel. I ended up finding a hotel in Biarritz online, which was a 3km trek from the hotel. I dared to ask if they might cover the cost of a taxi to get me and my luggage there, given the inconvenience of the night and the cancelled booking - this prompted shock and dismay, and while they had been rude to me up to this point, my request prompted more rudeness and I was essentially told to leave (which I did, and the other hotel was fabulous!). Despite my ordeal, the most concerning thing for me in this experience is that the hotel did not seem overly concerned with the fact they had bed bugs (in at least one room). In communications since, I have the impression that they only "cleaned the room", and they denied having bed bugs (thankfully I took pictures which were sent to them as proof). In my research, bed bugs are a serious issue, especially for a hotel. And "cleaning a room" is not sufficient.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

A small, nicely designed boutique hotel with a good staff.
    • Comfort Double Room

No electric kettle, no mini fridge, no conditioner, poor Wi-Fi, noisy at night

It is a small boutique hotel, only 200 meters from Biarritz' sandy swimming beach, in an older part of town that is only a few minutes' walk from the heart of Biarritz. There are plenty of bars and restaurants around but mind that it's very noisy outside at night so, if this is likely to be a problem, try to ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Room 15 was very small, nicely designed, with a street view.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

pleasant as it gets

room door was hard to close quietly ,had to slam shut

great location although quite a walk from bus stop in centre ville. Very friendly welcome and just gave you a great feel about the hotel and gave me good advice on travelling around the area. wifi worked good and good shower pressure

Very close to a lovely beach

Very close to a lovely beach

Everything was perfect

Everything was perfect

Great location for a short stay.

Small room and bathroom.

Excellent location, a few minutes walk from many of Biarritz's attractions and beaches. Comfortable and clean.

Good experience

Small right room, no air-conditioning,

Great location! Very clean

Friendly and clean

Very friendly staff, very clean. Wifi works good. Very central

Value for Money

Great location, clean, good shower

Friendly staff and good location

More selection of items for breakfast

Location excellent, staff most helpful. Disabled access.

Rooms a bit small

Great value for money, very clean and in a great location!

Walls are very thin!

Impeccably clean, nice staff, incredible location.

Staff is extremely nice.
    • Comfort Double Room

Staff is extremely nice. Very clean and tidy.

We had a lovely nights stay at Le Sephir. The the pictures on the advert don’t do it justice!
    • Comfort Double Room

Good sized room with neat, compact bathroom. Ample storage space and a really comfortable bed.

The location was great and also the price

The location was great and also the price

Small, charming, clean, helpful reception, very central...

Small room but practical

Small, charming, clean, helpful reception, very central location

Very relaxing and enjoyable stay.

This hotel deserves more than 2 stars. Very clean and comfortable, pleasant staff and excellent location.

great value. great location

great location.Can walk to everything.3 minute walk to the market

perfect

Staff was great.Location was perfect. Easy walking distance to the market,beach everthing!!!!

Nice small hotel. Staff very friendly

Beds are not for taller people!

Nice small hotel

The hotel was an experience itself!

Difficult to find the way to the hotel by car.the

A vety charminsa fanilta hotel. We loved the hostess <3.

lovely small hotel friendly staff quirky breakfast alfresco...
    • Comfort Double Room

lovely small hotel friendly staff quirky breakfast alfresco cool

Location is excellent & staff were very helpful

It can be noisy at night with motorbikes, the toilet in the rooms are v small

Location is excellent & staff were very helpful

Staff were friendly and very helpful.

Staff were friendly and very helpful. Located close to everything

Lovely stay in a Biarritz

Outside noise from the nearby bar but not a major problem.

Staff were very helpful and accommodating explaining what to do in the map on my trip.

Great people and an excellent location
    • Comfort Double Room

Rooms are a bit small and the noise from local bars can get a bit loud

Fantastic location for access to beaches and center of town

convenient location, reasonable price.

Poor breakfast.

convenient location, reasonable price.

Lovely hostess !

Lovely hostess !!!

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Cozy and comfy !

Warm and cozy on a chilly few days, this room was so welcoming to come "home" to.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Very helpful staff

Very helpful staff

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Lovely simple and modern décor.

Lovely simple and modern décor. Very pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Horrible

All

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Friendly service and central locatiob

Small room and tiny bathroom

Location Continental breakfast value for money

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Breakfast was minimal for the price.

Location. Value.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Problem with noise from bar situated opposite but owners...

Problem with noise from bar situated opposite but owners moved us to another room for second night and were helpful.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Small is beautiful!

Room was a bit small, but I knew it would be!

The owners were extremely friendly and helpful. Only 15 rooms.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

Charming place to stay for a break in wonderful Biarritz. we enjoyed it very much.

Rather noisy late nights with revellers

very close to be able to walk easily to all amenities. Very helpful staff to advise us.

Lovely short stayover

Norhing

Good location and friendly sevice

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Basic accomadation. But clean small

Location and cleanliness

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Perfect stay

Prefect location and really friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Loved the location and friendliness of staff

ants in the yard while eating!

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Nice and clean hotel in excellent location

Air conditioning was not very efficient one.

Excellent location, clean and nice hotel.