Reviews of Les Quatre Dauphins 2 stars

54, Rue Roux Alphéran, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France

#11 of 48 hotels in Aix-en-Provence

• Comfort Double Room

Not easy to park around (obviously it’s in city centre) and small room (we were at the top)

The hotel is literally 3 minutes walk from the Cours Mirabeau and in a very quiet place! The staff is great, always smily (even at 4am)!!

Location could not be better; staff more than gracious. The rooms are compact but well equipped and smartly designed to deal with a lack of space; large windows so lots of light.

Reception lacked knowledge regarding car rentals, train times and 2 of the 3 reception staff I dealt with were useless: one couldn’t even look up info on the computer for me - that’s after I had to push him to look it up for me. The very unfriendly young woman who worked reception on my last day was an unpleasant ending to a great time in Aix. I think the hotel is spoiled by its great location but staff really lack warmth. Didn’t eat breakfast because if you are a light eater, it makes no sense to pay 13 euros for a coffee n croissant.

Great location, charming old style hotel

parking was six blocks away, inconvenient when your pulling luggage............parking was an additional 40 euros................staff were unilingual French, not unusual in France but many hotels are now employing bilingual staff and I will stay at those hotels on my next visit.

room and location met our expectations

• Comfort Double Room

Check in / Check out was extremely easy. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was perfect - very close to the town centre. Our room was also very pretty and clean. We would happily stay here again!

The heater did not work well, but it was sufficiently warm in the room, nevertheless. Despite being cozy, the room was rather small, and the walls were a little thin. Also, in addition to there being no lift, the staircases were uncomfortably steep.

Les Quatre Dauphins is an adorable boutique hotel ideally located in the center of Aix-en-Provence. My room was very comfortable and delightfully decorated. There was a lovely fragrance throughout the place, and it was obvious that someone put a lot of thought and effort into designing the interior and creating a certain atmosphere.

• Comfort Double Room

Too small, even cannot open my luggage in the room. Be careful when u take your shower, the shower area is too small and no shade, all the place is wet.

• Comfort Double Room

The downside of a classic building is that the rooms are small. But we'd stay there again and this was our second visit.

It has a great location. The staff are very helpful and pleasant. The old classic building has great character.

Hotel manager and staff was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and general assistance. Rooms were small but very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was available in a delightful setting.

• Comfort Double Room

Very difficult staircase if you are elderly (but my fault for not requesting a first floor room). In the end we managed to swap third floor room for one on the second, but I suspect we got the worst room in the hotel. We've had better experiences, but at least I won't make the same mistake again! Grubby-looking curtains on the landings don't give a good first impression, though!

Good location a hundred yards south of Cours Mirabeau. Nice welcoming staff. Very attractive breakfast room and a decent breakfast value-wise

The breakfast is very minimal and hidden. I went to have breakfast and the woman at the reception said that she was going to serve it. So I sat down and she gave me 1 yogurt, 2 pieces of butter and some orange juice and she left. So I kept waiting thinking that she had gone into the kitchen for some bread or something. 10 minutes later I go and look for her to ask her on what I should put my butter since she didn't give me any bread. So she comes back into the breakfast room and looks into the cupboard and gives me a croissant (quite hard) and 2 pieces of bread. And that was the 9 euro breakfast...I have never seen that in my life!

I liked the style of the hotel, the photos are accurrate. Also the lady that was at the reception the first day I arrived was very nice and helpful.

• Comfort Double Room

Fantastic little hotel in a wonderful area full of authenticity and charm. We couldn't believe it was only 2 star. It's a real boutique gem and deserving of a higher star rating! Loved it! The staff were very friendly and the decoration beautiful and elegant.

The curtains are huge, we didn't find the controls for the air con till the next day as the curtains had so much extra material! We also had to hand our key in everytime we left, which we've never had before and therefore left our money and passports in full view the first time.

Staff were really friendly and the bed was super comfortable, we slept really well. The rooms are a bit small when you've got two suitcases. Bathroom was good, nice shower and very clean. The hotel was in a great location, 5 minutes from the main part of Aix but nice and quiet away from the main bit. Didn't have breakfast but the breakfast room looked very nice.

• Comfort Double Room

Even though the rooms are perfectly equipped and had all we needed, they are a bit small. A bit more space would have been ideal. The air-con was also a bit loud considering the small rooms and the fact that the machine was stuck to the bed.

Loved the perfect location in the quiet quarter of Mazarin. This hotel must have been a property from the old quarter but it's perfectly renovated. The rooms are extremely clean. The personnel is lovely and super attentive and the breakfast, delicious! We enjoyed a quiet stay, very much needed after a busy sight-seeing day.

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

The staff that was present upon my arrival didn't speak any English (or any other foreign language) whatsoever. I speak enough French to get by, but had a somewhat tricky question concerning the parking facilities and that's how I know. This must be a little tricky for travelers who don't speak French. Rather lengthy process to get on the wifi, which turned out to be slow. Bed was a little squeaky. I am 40 years old, have a slim, athletic figure and was very grateful for that when using the bathroom.

Lovely little hotel in a beautiful quartier. Quiet and ideally placed for exploration Aix. Parking garage around the corner (we payed €31 for ca. 27 hours)

Awful shaped room, no walking space. Didn't feel clean at all and body wash/lotion bottles were half empty when we arrived. Man at reception told us we couldn't hold on to the key during our stay and had to hand in to him every time we left the property, which was uncomfortable as we were travelling with expensive laptops etc, and the area didn't really feel that safe. We spent fortunes on parking $50+ each day as hotel didn't have parking. AC was also very weak, not good for June stay.

Location was ok, one of the cheapest options.

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

The staff were not very friendly and parking wasn't available for us. This was inconvenient. We thought the room was small but very comfortable.

Loved the location and the room was cosy.

No elevator, couldn't manage my suitcase up and down the stairs. Breakfast was the same thing every day, with no choice except for coffee or tea. Would have liked to see an egg, cheese, etc. And the coffee was terrible!

Staff were very kind and accommodating - carried my suitcase up and down two flights of stairs, arranged for taxis, etc.

I booked triple room and got three beds in a single room instead

the location is very good, the staff are very helpful, the breakfast was very well prepared

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Comfort Double Room

small hotel in the heart of town. very well renovatex old style old home. Walking distnace to the bulerard, musiums, shopping and cafes. Visit the Cezanne Studio a- must!

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

The staff was very helpful and friendly The man at the receptionist could speak not only English but also spanish and italian (which is quite rare in France). The room was nice and the bed super confortable. The hotel is in the pitoresque and quite Mazarine neighbourhood, I couldn't ask for more: when I woke up in the morning from my window the view of a old building covered in ivy was just how I imagined Provence!

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

The photographs on the website show tastefully decorated rooms set within a 'boutique style' hotel in the centre of Aix. The reality was a very small room (yes tastefully decorated) with an impossibly small shower room (you really couldn't call it a bathroom). I have to say I doubt I have ever experienced a smaller room - nowhere to place your toiletries, cramped spaces in which to turn, a shower that was squeezed into the corner immediately adjacent to the toilet and sink - hence virtually impossible to get in to. The room was air-conditioned, but the unit was totally inadequate to cope with the heat. On the plus side, the room was spotlessly clean, as was the linen. The hotel was well located, within easy walking distance of everything. Despite this, I can't honestly recommend the room, but who knows, maybe the other bedrooms in the hotel are larger and better fitted with bathrooms?

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Our room was near the street and so a bit noisy when people walked past singing at 3 am! Next time I would ask for a higher floor or a room on the inside. Ours was on the ground floor.

Perfect location for walking around the city. Very friendly staff and although we didn't have breakfast the dining room looked very nice. Our room was spacious and comfortable with everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

We asked for a first floor room or close to the ground floor. Instead we were put on the third floor and had to drag our luggage up 59 spiral stairs. We were told to ask the desk for help going down when checking out. She would not help us at all. Now we are 70 years or better in age. So I would not recommend this for anyone of an age over 55. It was very difficult and disappointing.

The location was fine, but very hard to get to by car. It took us 2 hours of going in circles to and looking for two way streets. Quite confusing. The building was charming and old.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Comfort Double Room

No parking close to hotel. Had to drag carry our luggage about 1/2 km to and from closest car park. Parking expensive--20 to 25 euros per day. Steep stairs no elavator up to 3rd floor where our room was. Room very tiny.

Good location. Easy walking distance to city center. Quiet area. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

The room, which is the last available one for the day, is a bit small for the price and not too bright since it was located on the 1/F. The bed felt just a little bit too close to the bathroom. But I couldn't blame the hotel coz I booked it in the last minute.

The hotel is situated in a quiet and nice neighbourhood close enough to the city centre. The staff were also nice.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Location was excellent. My room overlooked the main road but was very quiet. Although my room was small, it was very comfortable and I didn't feel cramped. The bathroom and shower were great. Staff was friendly and I was able to leave my luggage with them both days, as I arrived early and left later in the afternoon.

bed wasnt too comfy I checked in at 11 pm but the guy who checked me in didnt seem very happy/hospitable

decor of the place- absolutely lovely location breakfast area was very pretty

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

Cramped rooms Noise from the street at night No lift if you're on the upper floors - there are steep narrow steps.

Central location Friendly staff Quaint hotel

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

The Wifi signal was low our room but it worked well out in the hall where there were chairs.

The staff were really helpful & friendly, and the decor was nice. The location is perfect - very central in Aix, tucked down a little side street.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Triple room very small, could hardly swing a cat, right next to reception and on street level, very noisy and air con not brilliant, so warm or open windows and very noisy....take your pick!

Staff very accommodating, friendly, excellent service.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Elegant little hotel in very quiet but central part of Aix. Great welcome - desk staff helped me with my bags and gave me a map to find a hidden gem of a restaurant 5 mins walk from the hotel

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

No complaints

Really lovely triple room, very clean with very comfy bedding. Large bathroom with lovely bath/shower. The hotel's location was so central and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The hotel does not have an elevator, but the staff will assist with the luggage if necessary. I had no problems walking up the stairs, but people with physical disabilities may face a challenge. Apart from that I find nothing to complain about.

The location is excellent; only a couple of minutes walk from the main street. The rooms are small, but clean and perfectly ok. If you have a car, there is a parking a few hundred meters away

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Comfort Double Room

It is located along a narrow, but busy pedestrian street through which many people, mostly students, pass late at night, talking loudly. As the room does not have a/c, the window is open, and it is therefore noisy and sleep is interrupted.

Attractive interior and location near center of city was most convenient.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

When we arrived the air in the room was a sort of stale and the level of humidity was quite high.

-An excellent location in the very center -Nicely decorated lobby -Really helpful staff -Air conditioning

• Reviewed: 20 June 2016

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

Location. The style, elegance and character of the hotel. The friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff. Very comfortable. High standard of furnishings and fabrics. The only place to stay in Aix.

Charming!

Extremely intrusive unreliable and poor WiFi service Poor breakfast

Location near to everything

nice location

Great location and friendly staff.

Small room with space largely taken up by the double bed. Breakfast rather limited.

Clean, modern bathroom (but small).

Stairs

Staff toted the bikes to storage and carried our bags up the stairs.

parking difficult, no lifts help given with luggage but stairs could be a problem

breakfast very nice, owner very helpful, everything clean and new.

The room was tiny!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The bed was amazing!

no eggs, no toast, etc, 9Euro for nothing I wanted, did not participate in it

Did not participate in the lousy continental breakfast.

Parking issues

Wonderful building/ lovely rooms

No parking. Bad wifi

Very cute little hotel in the centre of town. Lots of personality

• Comfort Double Room

Room on the third floor without lift, Bed very small for 2 People , but Second night we Got one with 2 beds

Location in the city

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

parking is essentially impossible near by and no room facilities like bar fridge or tea/coffee making facilities

good location near centre of town

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Small room,small bathroom.Very pleasant and attentive general manager.Good overall experience,although no elevators.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Beautifully situated and old-world charm.

Worst internet/WIFI in recent memory. Small shower.

Great location. Comfortable bed.

Very cosy place, kind personnel and excellent location. I really like the interior of the rooms, cleaning is excellent, bed is very comfortable!

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

There was nothing not to like.d

The staff went well above and beyond in helping me resolve an issue unrelated to my stay there. Very much appreciated.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Bed was extra comfy

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

It was a charming hotel & the staff were very friendly & helpful.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

The shower is extremely small

Staff welcomed us with special care

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

Pleasant and helpful staff plus great location

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Wifi did not work

• Comfort Double Room with Shower

small room not for traveller with big suitcase

very comfy bed, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Room was very small

The room was clean and nice, but very small. I didn't have breakfast.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Really nice small boutique hotel. Very nice experience

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

The room was tiny. The hotel does not have an elevator

The location is great, just five minutes walk from the Main Street

• Reviewed: 17 January 2016

There are insufficient electricity outlets in the walls in the room : recharging telephone and laptop at once was impossible; I had to unplug a lamp to be able to plug in one of my devices at a time; Also the Internet on the third floor did not work properly

The staff was nice and helpful

• Reviewed: 16 November 2015

No lift and not helpful staff. The reception man let a young lady to carry a huge luggage herself to the second floor without a hand. The reception lady was nice to bring my dropped hat back.

Fountain was nice and location was not far from train station. 15 mins walk. Room was clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 24 April 2016

Had a problem getting onto Wifi but likely to be my problem rather that the hotel

Reception staff helpful. Delightful breakfast room

• Reviewed: 21 April 2016

no elevator, room was too small

clean, nice staff

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

Very central & cosy. Staff always very helpful & they all spoke english

• Reviewed: 7 November 2015

No lift

There are also 41 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.