Reviews of Les Sables d'Or 2 stars

1184 Avenue De La Concorde, 62780 Stella-Plage, France

#9 of 11 hotels in Stella-Plage

• Superior Twin Room

Bookings.com offered me two twin bedded rooms for four ladies travelling together. I telephoned the hotel and checked, in French, that we had twin bed rooms and could check in after 9.00 pm if necessary. I was given a code for the front door. We eventually checked in at 8.15 pm and the welcome from the night Receptionist was brief and curt. Annoyingly, both rooms had one king size double bed (made up of two 3ft singles) plus one narrow child size bed. I went to Reception to complain but the receptionist had gone. Next morning I complained and was told that all the beds were the same size. In other words, the child-size bed was the same size as half the double! I took issue with this but the receptionist was unresponsive. None of us would stay here again. Give it 2 out of 5 stars.

Breakfast was good.

• Family Room

Not being able to get back in main entrance at 9:30pm, constant knocking on the wall from a nearby room

With 4 of us staying in a family room, the space was fabulous.

The beds were really comfortable and had crisp white linen. Lovely and clean especially bathroom. We arrived late and instructions for access were clear and a note left with keys was very helpful. Breakfast was super, good selection, everything was fresh and croissants and bread were yummy! A nice touch was a play area for children in one section of restaurant where our five and four year old were happily occupied while waiting for the adults to finish their breakfast. Staff were helpful. Quiet and peaceful location. We loved it.

• Family Room

Shower extractor not working in the bathroom and neither window was an opening window.

Location - proximity to Calais and the sea. Truly French experience. Bed sheets were spotless. Surfaces shower curtain and bathroom were clean. French view from our window.... a very quiet stay.

• Comfort Double Room

It said we had a private bathroom, it was a shower in the hotel room and a toilet behind a door. I was charged twice and booking.com said it was a reservation fee, I’ve still not received a refund and the money is still gone from my account days later. The bar closes at 9pm and they lock the hotel front doors and tell you you can’t go out (not sure how legal that is), the town is ghost town, nothing was open at all for food not one place, was derelict. The receptionist was quite helpful and ordered us 3 pizza’s from the nearest delivery service but we had a pregnant lady and no where to get food. I have currently put a complaint in. Do not go here. Oh and they want €23 for a swim... ludicrous, I will not be returning!!! This should all be stated before booking. Unbelievable!!!

Hotel was ok to look at

• Comfort Double Room with 1h spa access

The hot water was very hit and miss, mostly there was none.

Everything was just right, Receptionists were, not only beautiful but pleasant and helpful too xx

• Family Room

Arrived at 15:30 check in after 15:00 rom not ready, first room tap leaking all over the floor, toilet brush inside the toilet, second room the heating did not work, third room could not connect to the WIFI, says there is a swimming pool but there is not, says there is onsite parking ( it's the road by the hotel) no charge for dogs cost 10 euros, cup of tea (mouth full at best 3 euro, the price is shocking do not stay here unless a last resort, no offer of compensation for the terrible rooms. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

Nothing!!!

• Family Room

My 14 year couldn’t use the pool as there was an age limit of 18. Plus the additional cost to use the pool was too high. As hotel guests you expect use of the pool to be included.

Comfortable room, quiet, safe location.

• Comfort Double Room

We booked a comfort (standard) room for one night to be close to a beach whilst travelling back to the UK from our house in the Dordogne. We were asked to pay in full as soon as we checked in. We should have asked to see the room first! The room was very disappointing: The room was too small for guests with a pet. Stained carpets; looked like they had been cleaned but should have been replaced. We were not happy with our dog being in the room as he could obviously smell another pet. Bathroom was clean but needed updating/redecorating: toilet seat kept falling down, which was annoying. No kettle or drink making facility. Wardrobe in bathroom was not a good idea as any clothes put in there would become damp. Positive: Bed was clean and room furniture acceptable. Breakfast was poor. Fruit salad unpleasant flavour and was not fresh. No staff member available. Ceilings in the breakfast room were coming down in several areas and the decoration was poor. One staff member on duty at reception appeared to be permanently looking at the computer screen and did not approach the desk when we left the keys so we departed without having a chance or desire to ask questions make comments. Positive: Coffee was acceptable & croissants Staff: Polite but appeared disinterested in communicating. Outside plant boxes were full of weeds. Overall a disappointing experience and over valued in price. The photos were not as appeared on the site. If we had been booked in for more than one night we would have asked for a refund. In hindsight we should have viewed the room before paying and left.

• Comfort Double Room

The room was tiny and noisy. I asked to move but the hotel was full. Room 114. Breakfast was an extra 10 Euro per person but wasn't worth it. I was told there would be hot food, but there wasn't. I went down 30 minutes before they stopped and there wasn't much left. Really disappointing.

it was clean and the staff were nice. Not much more to say unfortunately.

• Family Room

Being charged the full fee before arrival and then charged again on departure. The bathroom was quite shabby with peeling wall paper and quite a cramped space overall .

The family room has a cooker so it is possible to self cater for some meals although there were no cups, limited cutlery and very few cooking pans.

• Comfort Double Room

A bit basic and in the middle of residential housing. There was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room

Was quirky and the bed was comfortable.

• Comfort Double Room

One of the staff was very friendly and was willing to help, she tried her best with her English and that was good enough for me. Other staff were not very friendly, not willing to help. At night there were no staff to help. Would not call a taxi for me and it was very difficult at night to get a taxi. I don't think I would stay here again as the area was not for me although I did have a nice time and the hotel was good value for money.

One of the staff in particular was very nice, happy and helpful towards me. The taxi man i had throughout my trip was very helpful. I believe the hotel gave me their number.

• Superior Twin Room

Rooms a little small. Apart from that, there is nothing to dislike about this charming hotel. We did not eat here but other guests highly recommended the food.

The staff were wonderful. The Spa is beautiful and peaceful. Our room very clean, although a little bit on the small side.

• Comfort Double Room

The bed was a bit hard and had a raised join in the middle of the mattress.

The breakfast was varied and delicious - fruit, cereals, a range of sweet pastries, croissant and fresh breads, ham and cheese, fruit juice and tea and coffee. The surroundings were very quiet though it was not too far to the beach and some restaurants.

Not child friendly.

Disappointed that our 10 year old couldn't use the pool. Must mention Chole on recepeption she made our stay,so helpful and friendly.

• Family Room

There was a pool advertised but it is not for children and the whole spa thing is a massive extra cost so it is misleading. The staff at the hotel said it is something they have regularly asked Booking.com to update and change on the site. For us it was fine but the children would have been really dissapointed if I had already told them there was a pool.

Great room and lovely staff

• Comfort Double Room

No local places to eat. Had to drive to Le Touquet and even then the choice was limited. We were there on the first day of the off season though. The place we eventually found - Took Took - was very good. €10 for breakfast is a bit steep.

Clean, generous room size. Takes 🐕 ( + €10 though. Not mentioned on booking.)

• Comfort Double Room

I had booked this hotel because it advertised a spa centre/swimming pool. Only AFTER I had made the booking was it revealed that use of the spa would cost a further 23 Euros. I further enquired about this at the hotel saying that all I wanted to do was have a swim, and that E23 was a ridiculous amount to have to pay for this - but the receptionist said she could do nothing about it. The hotel was also advertised as having been refurbished but I could see no evidence of this. The carpets were a dismal brown, the door to my room had several splits in the wood, someone had thrown a dirty orange teeshirt onto the landing, several bedroom doors with unmade beds had been left open (at 4.00 p.m.) the fusty smell caused me to sneeze 3 times on entering my room. I had asked for a room on the ground floor (as I am a senior citizen) but was given one on the 2nd floor. There is no lift, so I had to struggle up and down 3 flights of stairs on 4 occasions with heavy bags. If I had known any of this I would never have booked this hotel. I have booked several hotels with Booking.com on my recent European trip and they have never let me down till now. The information about this hotel definitely needs reviewing and updating. I really wouldn't recommend it to other travellers.

The receptionist was nice.

• Family Room

Hairdryer in our room was broken/smoking and they didn't have a spare to offer me.

Really impressed for a 2 star property. Had a bath in the bathroom which was bliss after 2 weeks camping! Lovely family room and very comfy beds. Close to the beaches and dunes for lovely dog walks.

lack of ventilation and towel drying facilities within bedroom unit and we had been upgraded so they said from a superior double to a room in an annexe with a garden view but no room for bedside tables.

breakfast very good and well set out as a buffet. Initially the cost per person of 10 euros seemed high but on comparison with outside for same quality/quantity it was good value

• Comfort Double Room

No parking available as in residential area, Room very small, shower not very clean

Receptionist was excellent, nothing too much trouble, even rustled up some meals

• Family Room

The parking is not private and is public roads which was disappointing as we had a very full car but its a quiet residential road with easy access to the main street with bars restaurants etc. Wifi speed was not good either.

The beds were very comfy, breakfast was good, bar was not manned so had to wait to get a cold drink but had a fridge in the room as a bonus.

• Family Room

Very expensive. Poor location. Shabby hotel and shabby garden. Long way from the beach. No car park. Had to wait 30 mins in lobby for staff to turn up at check in. Not recommended.

• Family Room

repair to curtain pole after reporting it to reception after first night it was still not repaired when we left after three more nights with the curtains tucked in the top of the window .never the less we all slept well and enjoyed our stay.

comfortable beds, clean facilities

• Comfort Double Room

The location is in a residential area and a car journey is needed to get to the beach front and any nice restaurants. The room was small, the bed uncomfortable and the WC was that small that is was difficult to sit or stand without banging your head on the door. There was a power cut in the morning just at the time everyone was getting ready to go down for breakfast, with no apology or any offer of reduction for the inconvenience.

• Superior Triple Room

Carpet and floor dirty, small television, old building that needs renovation, staff didn't speak much English

Bed was nice, breakfast was great and staff friendly

• Comfort Double Room

It was appalling that the fire alarm went off at 2.15 am and we were left in the streets for over an hour as nobody from the hotel was present and they did not answer their emergency phones. The fire brigade were poor taking at least half an hour to turn up and did not seem concerned at all. Having had no sleep the night before due to travelling arrangements we were very tired and so spent the weekend suffering from sleep deprivation. Following this we were told that we would not be offered any compensation at all and we all had to pay full price. Apart from the young lady mentioned the hotel has absolutely no idea how to retain custom !

The breakfast looked excellent and one of the staff Noelle was very good at looking after customers.

• Family Room

It was more like a hostel trying to be a hotel. All the work that had been done looked like it was done by a retired council worker. Would maybe use again for myself but I would never take my family again

The location and nice staff good stop off for calais

• Comfort Double Room

the power sockets, only one available. could do with a little bench to put your luggage on. kettle, tea coffee complimentary water would be a good addition.

pleasant area

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Option for coffee alone at breakfast we took but it would have been even better had we been offered just a coffee with a croissant at a smaller price than 10 Euros each!

Bed was big and beautifully comfy. Had a really good sleep as totally quiet outside & could have window open to fresh sea air.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

The bed was very hard and the bathroom could do with updating. The Parking is located on the street

The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room clean and modern, with a nice big bed. The hotel had breakfast and a bar which was nice added bonus.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Comfort Double Room

No restaurant (but dishes to take away in your room - bof!), only the entrance (reception) & bar are well maintained but for the rest check the pics... General toilets on ground floor were out of order during my whole stay...and were not repaired...(16_20March17) Old crackled sofas in the hall giving to the garden and to the external rooms Room 301 : old-fashioned lamp in the bathroom (no vanity unit), no hanger for the shower... The manager of this hotel is lucky to work in a "in the middle of nowhere" hotel. In a Sheraton or a Hilton she would already have been fired for her arrogance. This hotel is meant to be "pets allowed" but IT ISN'T - You can't leave your pets in the room unassisted....This rule is totally contradictory with "Pets allowed" they announce.... My email sent 3 weeks before was crystal clear of the type of dogs, number etc.... They OMITTED in their email to inform me of their rules restrictions for pets....Of course, I would have cancelled my booking !!! They take the money : 10 Euros/dog/day.... They even didn't read the email properly as they had to change me from room "last minute" at check-in THIS IS REALLY NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL Manager told me when you want to take holidays you leave your dogs at home !!! Waow brilliant and your hotel is "dogs allowed" ? Am I Wrong ? This reddish hair woman is disgusting...

Situation : really quiet, near the dunes and not too far from the sea Need a car anyway as distances might be tiring for elderly people Given the Price it is correct but would not pay more for it

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Would suggest Etaples for a restaurant - Le Touquet is awful - resting too much on its past laurels - expensive too.

A really friendly welcome - the young lady spoke English fluently, but put up with my French without a murmur. The location was superb - about 50 yards from the sandy dune. The hotel clean, the linen brilliant white, the room warm and large, the Bathroom was huge and the shower hot. Breakfast was plentiful, fresh and really set us up for the day.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Would have been perfect except for no tea/coffee/kettle in room Parking difficult have to park on streets

Very welcoming especially with two dogs Friendly Comfortable Lovely gardens

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room

We arrived quite late, the staff were very courteous, friendly and professional in checking us in. They were also very helpful with directions and local information

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• Family Room

Room was too warm (no Air Con). Breakfast was OK but a bit basic - you had to make your own coffee/tea.

Good, quiet location near the sea. Desk staff friendly.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Pity that evening meals only served as "room service" in either the garden or your room.

Good welcome. Easy to walk to town. Not too far from the beach. Very quiet location with a surprisingly large and very pleasant garden area Good sized room. Very good breakfast selection.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Family Room

No particular problems. But got bitten by many mosquitoes in the room. I think the plumbing in room 110 could use some work. As could the TV. Impossible to view from the bed, because of polarisation and the viewing angle! The TV shelf needs to be tiled by 10 degrees down!

Breakfast is nice, but Eur 10 pp is a bit steep, IMO. On the other hand, one can browse at leisure. Good location for Le Touquet when all else fails! The Staff were very efficient. FWIW, I was quite impressed.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The building was recently remodeled, but poorly done. Our bathroom floor was significantly unleveled and felt almost dangerous.

The breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Superior Triple Room

No kettle. Thin walls so could hear neighbours and as they were noisy we were woken in the night. Poor wifi signal in the room. Smelt musty when we arrived.

• Comfort Double Room

It's quiet and it is excellent value for money

It was ok

Quiet French hotel

Not electricity

• Comfort Double Room with 1h spa access

ras

correct

Stuck in “annex” very dated and not very clean

Not much

• Comfort Double Room

beds fine staff great location super would prefer tea/coffee facilities in room otherwise excellent our third stay there

Front door locked at 2000 no staff on duty i

Clean,comfortable bed

It's in a quiet area and is more like a house but with all the facilities of a hotel

• Superior Triple Room

Noisy leaking guttering. Very tired run down room.

Breakfast, no eggs though. Nothing hot.

• Family Room

Rooms were clean, beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Staff were very helpful.excee

Room poor for what was classed as "supierior" room.

Friendly staff

Housewine!

Large clean comfy rooms. Superb breakfast and helpful staff Loved it!

No evening meal available.

Peace quiet

• Comfort Double Room

The bar and reception was closed when we returned from dinner at 21.30.

• Superior Triple Room

A little shabby around the edges but very clean

Very friendly staff. Short walk to main shopping area.

• Comfort Double Room

Said there was a car park but there isn't one

Basic good value

Plumbing

Price

NIce, clean, modern hotel. Good sized bedroom with a very nice bathroom.

• Comfort Double Room

Glass of beer cost 6.20 €.Jesus Christ it's in the middle of nothing!

• Family Room

the breakfast is OK, but not more.

location is very good.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Parking was on the street but we expected it to be a hotel car park. Restaurant was closed when we arrived and there is nowhere locally to eat.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

No complaints

Efficient staff, clean hotel, excellent all round.

• Family Room

Friendly and competent made us feel very welcome all in all a very nice place will go again

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The stairs...Steep and dark

Nice welcome, clean room

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Breakfast. Lovely local hotel

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Hotel could do with a reverb shower not good and decor a bit shabby

Breakfast was good staff where friendly

Perfect

• Comfort Double Room

Glorious sound of the sea to help you drift off to sleep and to wake up to. Bed was extremely comfy and room cleaned to a high standard

• Family Room

The staff is extremely kind and helpful. Very pleasant stay.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Friendly staff, very welcoming. We've stayed many times before and will do so again.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

No coffe/kettle in room

Friendly and welcoming

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Comfort Double Room

Calm environment , close to the dunes , nice people, possibility to look at tv in the lobby and to irder warm food

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Very good facilities, friendly helpful staff and good value for money.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The accomadation was very dated.

Friendly staff. Excellent breakfast.