Reviews of Hôtel d'Arromanches Pappagall 2 stars

2, Rue Du Colonel René Michel, 14117 Arromanches-les-Bains, France

#6 of 6 hotels in Arromanches-les-Bains

I only had skylight; no window.

The owners were so very nice and helpful. The restaurant was very good but also inexpensive. My food was much better than what I ate at one of the more expensive plsces.

What an unexpected treasure the hotel is! Our room was lovely - and spacious. The proprietor was so friendly and cheerful; he made us feel right at home. Breakfast was superb (yummy omelet with bacon), and we even had wonderful dinners there the two evenings of our stay. The hotel is excellently located as a base to see the Normandy D-day sights. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. Exceptional in every respect.

• Quadruple Room

Cost of living is rising rapidly, so despite cheap hotel rates, everything else costs !!

Friendly people with a relaxed, helpful attitude. Great value for money in a perfect location.

There is quite a long snagging list for the room I stayed in but in my view this is not applicable for a 2* hotel and the reasonable €68.80 for the room. However, there was a slight musty smell in the upper floor and in my room which should be addressed. It should be noted that the upper floor is reached via a vertical spiral staircase which is very narrow and a little rickety

Good location on the main street with the restaurants and bars. Classic older style hotel. The room was clean, everything worked and the water was hot. Bed was comfortable. Solid double glazing keeps out much of the noise from the street below. Bathroom was a good size. I didn't have breakfast as I left very early but for €10 I would say it may be worth having in view of the prices in local restaurants. I would stay again.

There wasn't anything

The manager and staff were all friendly and helpful. The location was great as we're there to do the D Day touring.the food was excellent. We would go back there again

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

From Bayeux it was kinda hard to get to. I took a cab there from the train station. Wasn't really that far but it was 22 euros. Pretty much the whole town closes about 9 so I couldn't get anything. Tried to go to the pub down the street. The door was locked so they had to come let me in. Seemed like no matter how nice I tried to be, Smile be polite, try my best to speak their language, the locals didn't really like me so I just got a water and left the bar. When I left The hotel in the morning I tried to get a cab to the American cemeteries, again wasn't far but the cab took a huge detour. Finally after 32euros and obviously driving in a big circle I made him stop and drop me off in the middle of nowhere. Was so mad. Walked a long way back to the train station. So just be aware of these things. I wanted to visit the place my grandfather liberated years ago but it wasn't easy.

Very charming hotel. It was a cute little room. Clean and well made. The shower was literally amazing! Best part! Best shower I've had in Europe!

It was cold during the night and the heating was not working (early April).

Center location, good food at affordable prices offered in their restaurant. Fast Wi-Fi. Comfortable beds

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

We would have liked clean dry towels each day as the towels were not changed in the 3 days we were there and it was difficult to find places to hang them to dry. The street was noisy around 5:00 a.m. due to garbage pick up. Very heavy trucks and slamming of doors!!

Lovely breakfast. Also the location of the hotel is very convenient for all the points of interest and parking.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Although atmosphere good, some things need a bit updating. Couldn't get TV to work for example

Staff very friendly and location excellent. Atmosphere of room was very French which I liked.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The hotel is an idiosyncratic French building with odd shaped corners etc. Getting into our room involved me in getting on all fours to negotiate a tight corner. But it is things like that that make a holiday

Couldn't be bettered for location with sea view and right by the square. Staff were helpful and the breakfasts very good although a bit expensive. We were there for the fireworks on 14th July which were great

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Noisy in early morning (garbage collectors right outside our window). Parking in the area was very long limited. Breakfast not available until 730-8am...too late due to early Normandy Beach tour.

Nice hotel, right in the center of town. Room was clean, very affordable.

A very warm welcome .excellent reastaurant.bar and location .highly recommended !!!!

Friendly staff , near to good parking and the beaches in this historical WW11 town.

The owners went out of there way to be helpful.

Qualityofbeds

Staircase spiral and narrow and all rooms up these stairs.A little difficult with cases etc.

Clean convenient friendly.What more do you need?

The room was clean but smelled of smoking.

Very nice staff. Location great. Breakfast looked great

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Narrow difficult stairs , width in corridor and low headroom

Closeness to the beach and musuem

• Quadruple Room

Restaurant service

Location and friendliness of owner

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Oud need verniewing up to date!

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Dirty room no AC bed not made. They did offer to change but I was tired and just wanted to sleep

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Run down Restaurant was over priced very poor quality food, the meal was expensive and I was left feeling like I had been robbed

Nice bed

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

The Roms where not heated so we were cold all night. The covers where very thin and used. The extra bed fell apart as soon as you sat on it. Very badly isolated, you could hear your neighbors and the street below very well. Extremely narrow and steep stairs.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

The owner was excellent. He allowed us to store our bikes and even let us clean them after our rides. He was very friendly and helpful I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will stay again.

• Reviewed: 15 September 2015

Check in was difficult with a girl that had little or no English. I gave her my booking references print out and she still looked at me as if I had ten heads. After getting the key to the room I had to ask her how to get to the room or even show me the way. When I asked about breakfast it was €10 for a cup of tea/coffee and a ham and cheese sandwich and told that’s all we serve for breakfast. We returned to the hotel at 10.50pm on a Saturday night and the women behind the bar refused to serve us even as I told her we were residents she just walked away. This made me feel like a child I called her back to explain why I was not to be served and she just went into the back office. This was an absolutely appalling way to treat a customer. Upon check out the same women seen me standing at the desk and would not come out to me. I ended up handing the key to a waitress and leaving. If anyone is thinking of staying here think again.

It’s a fantastic location to explore the area of Normandy, Plenty of restaurants and walks in the area to do with access to a museum and a car park close by to park in.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2015

Nothing terrible, but would really have loved a kettle or coffee pot in our room as breakfast was an extra 10 euros and we didn't really want that. Also be warned - very very tiny stairs and corridors!

Lovely multi-lingual owners we so kind and friendly. Bathroom nice and modern, comfy bed. Quite small room but we managed ok. View of the sea and main street from our room was fun too.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2015

Parking can be difficulty, rooms up narrow passages difficult for those with walking difficulties.

Close to the beaches and town centre. Fod served in the bar area

• Reviewed: 23 July 2015

Strange window in the top of the ceiling: There was no window in the room where you could look out! it has given me the feeling that I am in a box... There was a window only in the top of the ceiling, in around 4-5 m height, which you could open only with a remove control. In my booking confirmation there was that we booked a double room with 23qm. The room was no more then 12-14qm (together with the bathroom...), very small!

Very near to the beach and museum. Offical parking of the city is less then 50m, to be paid only from 9am to 7pm. Actually if you leave before 9am you don't have to pay even if you entered the parking area 2 days ago as the gates are opened till 9. I realized it only after i have paid the parking ticket!

• Reviewed: 23 June 2015

Not the 'freshest' of accomadation, but adequate. A 'thank you' would have been nice when I paid the bill

Location, in centre of vile just yards from the beach and free parking.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2015

The accommodation was just as we had expected. No dislikes!

The hotel was well placed close to the beach and Museum. Fairly quiet time of year with not many about. The hotel was small and had great character. It served our needs extremely well. The owners were very friendly and we would definitely stay again. Thank you!!

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

In the center of Arromanches, prime location, nice staff and good breakfast

• Reviewed: 30 April 2016

STRUGLED ON STAIRS

GOOD LOCATION , COMFORTABLE BED.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2016

more varied menu plat du jour same each day

Bedroom good but stairs very difficult

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

Nice people, great locale, good food, very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

Lack of places to eat.

Location was perfect.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2015

Central location so noisy at night

Very handy for WW2 and D Day history

• Reviewed: 30 July 2015

no internet , poor breakfast

• Reviewed: 9 July 2015

Noise from the room above, rooms a little tired.

Easy check in, hotel in a great location, good value. Very comfy bed and pillows. Nice and clean.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2015

The proprietor was great! He was very gracious and helpful. The room was light and airy and well equipped.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2015

Central, friendly, convenient in the town.

• Reviewed: 23 May 2015

The food was great, owners very welcoming, exactly what we needed

• Reviewed: 19 May 2015

location, nice room

• Reviewed: 9 May 2015

Warm welcome & personal requests complied with.

There are also 8 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.