Reviews of Hotel Restaurant la Ferme 3 stars

110 Chemin Des Bois - Ile De La Barthelasse, 84000 Avignon, France

#9 of 48 hotels in Avignon

• Comfort Double Room

we didn't find anything to dislike

The food was excellent. The accommodation was very comfortable and car parking was secure and locked and night time.

• Standard Twin Room

The only thing we didn’t like were the cardboard cups they provided for tea and coffee in our room.

It is 5 km from Avignon. The hotel has bikes that you can hirer. We chose to walk, which was pleasant, walking on a quiet country road. We did see that you could park your car near the river and then walk over the bridge into Avignon. Hotel provided us with a walking and cycling map. The restaurant was good and worth a visit.

• Comfort Double Room

It was brilliantly quiet, almost rural. We had a car and it was easy to drive to a free car park and take the free shuttle bus into the old city. Madame Nathalie was the perfect host, and spoke perfect English for those poor soles like ourselves who never put in the effort to learn French. If we are lucky enough to make our way back to Avignon we will stay here again.

• Standard Twin Room

What we missed in the room was fly mesh at the window (mosquitos harrassed us), glasses and porcelain cups for water/tea/coffee (only paper cups were provided) and hooks for jackets/hats. There was only one bedside table in a twin room. There is no lift and all rooms can be only reached by stairs (but this is understandable in an restored building). Although the restaurant is spacious, the breakfast buffet is crammed into a tight corner and guests are continuously getting into each other's way. Coffee was very good (freshly prepared by the espresso machine), tea - from inexpensive bags - much less so. WiFi required login everytime you switched on your device, even after a short pause. In the vicinity, every night and repeatedly some acoustic alarm went off - absolutely not the hotel's fault, of course, but very annoying in these otherwise so quiet and peaceful area. We couldn't figure out the reason.

Quiet location in rural surroundings outside the city. Avignon is 6 min. away by car or 50 min by foot (pleasant walk through fields and meadows). Hotel occupies a nicely restored farm building with large courtyard where you can have your breakfast or other meal from the in-house restaurant. Everything new and clean. Comfortable beds and cushions. Sufficient quantity of hangers.Tasty and varied breakfast buffet. Friendly, helpful staff. Inviting pool area and big parking lot.

• Small Double Room

The room was slightly small, but it was quiet and clean.

Very kind staff and extremely helpful. They offered to have dinner at the restaurant, and the dinner was absolutely amazing. You need a car to get there, but the location is great. Very close to Avignon and Villeneuve-les-Avignon (the last is a really nice town).

Room could have curtains. And electric outlet did not work.

The restaurant was superb. Perhaps one of my top 5 meals of all times in the 3 continents that I’ve travelled. Wonderful reception and staff made us welcome and comfortable.

Plastic disposable cups in the bathroom (also wrapped in plastic) and travel shampoos - don't put stickers on the bathroom mirror about being environmentally friendly and use single-use plastic products. Glasses and refillable shower gel would be fine. The corridors smelled faintly of cigarette smoke. The egg bath at breakfast wasn't at the correct temperature and didn't have any instructions on use, resulting in three undercooked boiled eggs, which was a waste of food.

We stayed at this hotel in the off-season in early March, so it was very quiet. Our room was compact, but very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was a basic continental-style with breads, meats, cheeses and cereals etc. We had read good reviews of the hotel's restaurant, but as it was so quiet we decided to venture into Villeneuve-les-Avignon and Avignon old town during our two night stay - so we can't comment on the quality of the cooked food. It's a short drive from Avignon and in a beautiful semi-rural location, and the staff were friendly. There is secure parking with a gate that closes in the evening. We didn't feel we took full advantage of its setting but imagine in the summer it really comes into its own. We'd consider staying again - and definitely plan to visit Avignon, which is a stunning city.

Nothing at all

Very friendly staff. The location in the countyside, but close to the city, is perfect if you have a car. We had an amazing dinner there as well. The restaurant is a bit pricy, but very good and recommendable. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Very small room, poor wifi conection, no elevator for 2nd and 3rd floor, Tiny bathroom (to seat on the WC yu need to open the shower boot), poor breakfast, location is horrible (secure yu have an excellent navigation system if yiu want to arrive safely), restaurant poor selection and very small portions (and I am not a big eater)... In general the hotel is very old and needs renovation. If you compare with other similar lodgings in France, La ferme is not cost effective

• Small Double Room

This hotel has no elevator and it's little bit hard to carry my lugage. but not too high, not impossible.

It's old house but So clean and comfortable to stay for my family. and not too narrow and reasonable rate makes this hotel convience.

• Economic Room

Lovely hotel, the staff were very very welcoming, and provided all necessary information for the stay and advice on the trip. We didn’t have a chance to try the food at the restaurant, but the smell was amazing :) Spacious parking, located a bit further up from the city, but takes only 10 min drive

• Small Double Room

Both the room and bed were very small. Had to plug the kettle in the bathroom! Bar area minute but in better weather plenty of space outside.

The dinner was very good but quite expensive. Nice quiet setting.

I took my three grown children for a special vacation there. We were looking forward to staying at this hotel.. We were very disappointed and had to leave after two nights. When we informed the staff that we needed to leave and why, they treated us rudely, were not interested in our reasons nor willing to talk with us about it. There were many reasons. i will give details at any time if you wish.

The variety of food at breakfast. The one dinner. Nothing else

• Small Double Room

Other guests, particularly the one at the next table who, when I'd let my own table for five minutes to take a phone call, finished my bottle of wine!

Attentive staff, good food.

• Standard Twin Room

Our room was quite small although clean and comfortable. There was no lift so baggage has to be carried up to the room

Staff were amazing. Really helped us out when we had a problem with our rental car by coming into Avignon and picking us up.

• Standard Twin Room

Excellent dinners in the evening. We went as a group of six and everyone enjoyed the food, a very good chef and attentive staff serving us. The beds were very comfortable and it was nice and quiet at night.

Slightly over zealous removal of breakfast buffet items. It would have been easy to have asked guests if they wanted anymore coffee before it was removed!

Location, swimming pool a good size, restaurant food.

• Small Double Room

My girlffriend and I are travelling through France on our way down to Antibes. I had booked the entire trip as a surprise for my girlfriend but now I find myself crying in our room at the hotel because of how the owner spoke to me by the pool, I was lying on the grass about to respond to some emails in the sun, I then look up and see the owner marching towards me saying "monsieur, monsieur" I look up and say "me?" ... He then points at the rosè my girlfriend and I are drinking and accuses me of stealing it. There are about 10 or 15 other guests around the pool, so naturally I find this deeply offendensive and humiliating. I of course tell him that the wine was ours and we bought it at the shops. I told him that no one told us we couldn't eat or drink by the pool. He then goes on to say that we are treating his hotel like a tourist camp. Note that the hotel is very perocial, much to it's charm, i might add, however, that does imply that a baguette with a bit of cheese and a drink wouldn't be seen as offensive, especially as the hotel only serves food and drink for three hours, during breakfast and dinner service. He then goes on to say that we must pay corkidge on our bottles. This comes across as ridiculous in this environment, we're not in a 5* luxury hotel, it's a dusty 3* with rural French charm. We of course tell him that we were not told this by any of the staff, Caroline, the only other person who we spoke to, who obviously took it upon herself to call her father/owner and tell him to come down, making something so trivial become a real scene. He then asks me my room number in a very threatening fashion as if he will began charging me for the wine we bought and were not told not to drink. I couldn't remember the room number, because we'd been travelling through france for a week and stayed at a lot of different places and I didn't want to get it wrong.

The shower.

Despite recommended 'home produced' food the overall quality was poor. The meat course was inedible with lamb thighs being so tough I couldn't cut through the portion of meat. Very disappointing

Good swimming pool.

Plagued by mosquitos, but that wasn't the hotels fault.

Loved the rustic feel to the hotel, very French. Also we hired the bicycles for the day and had a fabulous time on them. Very comfortable and so easy to ride around as roads are very flat.

Bad wifi, no minibar in our room, only one plate to use for breakfast (but breakfast was good), my tuna steak in the hotel restaurant was not fresh.

Very nice clean hotel, good price, kind staff, delicious gazpacho in the hotel restaurant.

The hotel is 4 km far from Avignone, but you can easily find the parking to reach down town by bus (for free) or you can rent their bike.

The room was clean and nice, the environment beautiful, the dining excellent (there is a cozy restaurant there)

Rooms slightly on the small side tbh.

Amazingly French country style hotel which is hard to find nowadays, great swimming pool complex, tasty breakfast, lovely veranda, a bit away from Avignon, we used as a stopover but the type of place you would want to stay 3 nights for a bit of a lose yourself relax.

We were a large group of adults attending a family wedding in Avignon. The managers and staff at La Ferme were extremely helpful and patient. A lovely place to stay.

I was charged before giving the permission to the hotel staff members to do so that is UNACCEPTABLE! They explained it by a high season however on the website it was confirmed I will be paying upon the departure.

Location is good. 5 km from the city in the picturesque neighborhood.

• Comfort Double Room

The restaurant has a random quality (sometimes really good, sometimes not).

Really nice pool in which you actually enjoy to have a swim after a business day. Nice staff, really welcoming. Quite small rooms (around 15m²) but cosy.

• Economic Room

Didn't like the paper cups in the room, not nice to drink hot beverages in.

It was a very authentic Property, not impersonal like some other hotels, especially the larger ones and the chains.

We rented bikes and went through a wonderful rural landscape (fields of sunflowers etc) to The Rhone, where we took a small boat (shuttle, runs every 15 min) over to the Avignon old town, right by the town wall. Fantastic! The hotel is a charming little Mas, simple but nice. Room small but tidy and clean. Food "gourmandise" accourding to their own descriptions. Big portions, good but simple cooking. We loved the place, especially the calm surroundings! A must to rent bikes!

Not much!

Terrific staff and terrific FOOD!!!! The location is on the island in the middle of the Rhone, so it was a little difficult to get to, but well worth it.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Excellent bfast. Nice pool. Small but comfortable rooms, very clean. Friendly staff. We stayed also for the dinner and were really happy taet we did. Thanks!

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

On some days noisy courtyard while dinner served, especially on weekend until 11 p.m. or later! O:( While the offer on the web in the room price breakfast promised to be included, from the confirmation breakfast disappeared which turned out at checkout. Bad surprise, so had to pay on top O:(

Ex-farmhouse with unique atmosphere Rather small but clean rooms with good bedding Breakfast in the nice courtyard Outdoor pool area and good parking

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Economic Room

Overpriced meals and drinks. Staff pleasant until we didn't take breakfast on first morning and didn't have dinner there second night. Then became rather stony faced.

Brilliant location, quiet countryside on island in Rhone. Straight road to free car park across river from town and free shuttle bus to just outside town walls. 10 minutes and you're walking in this fascinating place..

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Lovely converted farm house next to the Rhone, exceptionally friendly staff, superb food. You need a car to get there, but free car parking just outside Avignon with free connecting bus to edge of town, which takes 5minutes.

• Comfort Double Room

I wouldn't recommend staying more than a few nights unless willing to use it as a base to travel to nearby cities.

It was a cosy little hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Comfort Double Room

A little chilly so couldn't use the pool (not at all their fault!) I didn't like that we couldn't stay more time!

Close to the city but actually in the country. There is a nearby convenient bus (free!) that takes you straight to the walls of Avignon. Beautiful clean rooms with updated everything. Solid Wifi. Lovely friendly staff - some English speaking, others patient with our halting French. Incredible, delicious, sumptuous dinner. The best meal we had in France. Relaxed, yummy do-it-yourself breakfast - fresh baguette, cheeses, meats, yogurts,mmmm!

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Very nicel hotel! Nice people, cozy and convenient room, perfect breakfast and free parking. I enjoyed the stay in the hotel and want to come back! Thank you!

You should have a navigator in your car to locate the place (This may actually also be an advantage)

Extremely friendly staff. Very nice athmosphere. Good Restaurant. Nice breakfast buffet. Large parking space.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Standard Twin Room

It was remote and without a car it was costing 20 Euros every time we went into town. There was a shuttle bus but you had to order it the day before at times they had available. It had no street lighting and there was nothing in the way of bars nearby. The food was quite expensive.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The setting was very peaceful in an old farmhouse. It was very clean.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Economic Room

Expensive food in the restaurant, not as good as expensive.

Comfortable room, beautiful location, quiet and green surroundings. Easy to access if traveling by car.

• Small Double Room

The property was beautiful, everything that you would expect from a French farmhouse. The staff were amazing and made us very welcome, providing lots of information about were to visit and the local area. We ate in the restaurant twice and the food was delicious, we are planning g our trip back already 👍

• Small Double Room

Even though the premises are entirely non-smoking, people tend to smoke next to the entrance door. If the wind is "wrong", you will get all second-hand smoke into your room through the open window. Breakfast is self-service and is quite repetitive if you stay for several nights. No hot breakfast options other than boiling an egg.

Quiet location, isolated, though not too far from the city centre. The bed was comfortable and the quality of sleep was good. The hosts were very welcoming and helpful. We got all the necessary info on city parking, free shuttle buses, fuel stations and markets in the area. As we stayed for a few nights, we were upgraded to a bigger room. Free parking is a real bonus! The place is a good value for money, especially if you have a car to take you to restaurants in the city of Avignon.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Very poor bathroom. Shower floor EXTREMELY slippery when wet. Could only use toilet with shower door open as it was too close for comfort.

Very good breakfasts. Easy access to Avignon, especially renting their bikes for the day. Helpful, pleasant staff

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Small Double Room

Perhaps there was a communication issue, but the gentlemen at the front desk was not very helpful when I tried to get instant coffee packets for the room.

Very lovely meal in the hotel restaurant. Friendly staff for the most part; offered my cold-stricken wife some medicine.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Economic Room

Drink prices at the bar were a bit expensive. The bathroom was a bit small.

The room was a good size; it was clean and tidy. The hotel had a good feeling (friendly and welcoming vibe).

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Just a shame we couldn't open the shutters fully to appreciate the view (evening and late season?)

Lovely large bed. Comfortable room with plenty of space Excellent evening meal Pleasant staff Lives up to best Logis standard

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

great house !! Stuff is very sociable and pleasant. Excellent speaks English. The rooms are clean. Hotel is placed: 1. Close to local old city (7 min by car) 2. Hotel has its private free parking

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Our room was a bit small but we only stayed got one night also we arrived 3'ish and could not get any food but a member of staff got our some nuts to go with out drink.

Very tranquil and food great.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Economic Room

Toilet was histerical. It was positioned so poorly I had to use it side saddle otherwise my legs were actually IN the shower cubicle. Black mould around base of shower...not terrible by any means but easily cured.

Outside of Avignon but near enough to enjoy. You need a car or bicycle.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Gravel parking lot and entryway was a bit difficult for roller bags .

Very quiet rural setting. Food at the restaurant was surprisingly excellent. Staff was extremely helpful and did all they could to make our visit pleasant ..

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Standard Twin Room

The beds were a little bit on the hard side.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Nice location in the countryside with a lush garden and swimming pool area where you could relax. Tasty food in the cosy restaurant or outside under the wisteria(?)

• Comfort Double Room

No fridge in room. Not a criticism really but we English do like nice tea-making facilities. Fortunately we remembered to take our own.

Air conditioning really good. Staff helpful and welcoming. Comfortable garden furniture and surroundings. Food very good.

Nothing comes to mind.

The hotel is on a large island about 3 km from the gates of Avignon but by parking on the island and taking the shuttle bus to the gates, access to the city is easy and uncomplicated within a few minutes. In our view, being outside the city walls is far more relaxing and quiet than being in this congested but beautiful city. The hotel itself is very well run with helpful and cheerful staff. It is very clean and the bedrooms are bright and cheery with comfortable beds, modern shower rooms and efficient aircon. Towels and toiletries are provided. Although there is no lift, we were on the second floor and coped well with the gently rising staircase. Breakfast is a substantial continental one taken on the terrace under a huge wisteria (or inside should it be raining); dinner is a la carte with a daily changing entree, main course and dessert, all very well prepared and presented (our wheat and milk allergies were coped with without any fuss). The wine list is mostly regional and the Cairanne house red is excellent value.The unheated swimming pool is large and surrounded by patio and grass with plenty of sun beds; if other guests are not greedy, there are sufficient cushions for the sun beds. There are plenty of swimming towels available. Drinks are served in the pool area (plastic glasses).

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Economic Room

A beautiful property with very friendly and helpful staff. Food in the restaurant was so good that people came from Avignon to dine. Pool and gardens and pool bar were such a bonus after a long day sightseeing. The distance from Avignon was not a problem if you plan ahead and we loved being in the French countryside and riding their bicycles. beautiful place.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

The wifi was "spotty" at best and quite unreliable.

The location in the countryside was wonderful! The pool was an added bonus. Also, the restaurant was unexpectedly GREAT for dinner, and the breakfast was very good.The proprietors and staff were knowledgeable and helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Had a great few days here it is a couple of miles outside Avignon and is very peaceful. Lovely outdoor pool and a nice restaurant, Natalie the owner was very helpful when we needed to print off our boarding passes and was very friendly and chatty with our young children. Would definitely recommend staying here for the price.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

We took into account tax and breakfast but the charge was higher than that quoted on booking.com dunno why?

The owners and staff are genuinely friendly, lovely atmosphere, great restaurant shaded by a vine and plane trees, and the food is excellent

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Everything was to a high standard and the owners gave us a warm welcome and were so helpful and wanted to make our stay a lovely experience. The food was exquisite.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

The Staff are friendly and all speak some English. Food at the Restaurant was excellent. Room was charming and clean. Beautiful large pool. Quiet agricultural area made for a relaxing stay. Staff are helpful answering questions. Taxi from TGV cost 20-30 euros.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

Can't think of anything

Super relaxing hotel with good rooms, a great courtyard for alfresco dining and pleasant pool area. Location was great too, very peaceful and if you're keen - walkable to Avignon or cycle with the hotel bikes. We drove the easy 10 minutes to the out of town free car park. Staff all friendly and courteous and fab restaurant.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Small Double Room

Not well indicated on the road, in the middle of nowhere, no elevator, small room with the bathroom door not working, noisy, terrible breakfast, expensive for what it is.

Good air conditioning in the room . Just that

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

More cushions for the pool loungers!

The pool was large, clean and in a lovely setting with plenty of loungers. The area was calm but 15 mins from Avignon centre. The staff worked hard and were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast offering could have been better but a minor detail and can easily be improved.

Lovely location in the countryside, great swimming pool area/garden, very friendly staff and just 20' cycle into Avignon.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

The prices in the restaurant just a bit too high. You can eat in the centre of Avignon much cheaper. Maybe the food is quality and all, but still..

Nice hotel outside the city in a green area. Countryside atmosphere, pool, bike rent - everything one needs for a calm rest. Room a bit small, but cozy and clean.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 18 June 2016

Food was nice but a bit overpriced.

Lovely, attentive staff. Comfortable, clean rooms. Nice pool. Really nice and quiet at night so perfect for a restful stay. Beautiful rural location with large carpark (you do need a car as 4km or so from central Avignon on an island in the Rhone).

A great place and 5 star restaurant. Highly recommended.

Rather out of the way, but a very friendly welcome, excellent service and good fòod. Good and comfortable. Reccommended.

• Comfort Double Room

Very friendly, helpful staff. Beautiful country location - great place to relax under the wisteria at the end of a long day of sightseeing.

Étroitesse de la chambre

Restaurant

Weather!

Owners and staff great. Location perfect - close to park and ride or free ferry.

• Small Double Room

Un petit endroit fort sympathique

• Comfort Double Room

Lovely hotel, clean, quiet, great restaurant and lovely location awa6 from the centre of Avignon.

More coffee pods in room only for 1 cup

Breakfast good

• Comfort Double Room

The restaurant was delicious and the staff were really friendly. I was surprised by the quality for the price.

ti is very food comfortable

Quiet location.