Reviews of Hôtel Crayon by Elegancia 3 stars

25 Rue du Bouloi, 1st arr., 75001 Paris, France

#716 of 1,578 hotels in Paris

Cute but tiny and loud
    • Small Double Room

Room was tiny! i booked for my mother and I but in the end only I slept in the double room. I couldn't open my luggage and still be able to walk around. You can hear EVERYTHING outside and on other rooms.

Cute decor and perfect location. Staff was great, felt safe and space was clean. But not good if more than just for a night or two.

Charming Hotel, Comfortable Rooms, Great Location, Excellent Staff, Fair Breakfast

The in-hotel breakfast was a bit weak compared to the 6 other hotels we stayed at during the week. The quality was fine but it lacked depth.

A comfortable hotel with a great staff in a great location. It is a short walk to Le Louvre and a bit more to the Seine, Notre Dame and other Paris landmarks. The hotel is surrounded by bakeries, cafes, cheese and wine shops. The street is quiet. The rooms are small but efficient with a comfortable bed and, compared to other hotels, a comfortably sized bathroom.

Great design.

The breakfast is really poor. No cheese, ham, eggs... The croissants are good, though. The breakfast room is non existent - you basically have to eat in the reception! I was disappointed that the minibar was empty. Also, no espresso machine in the room.

Great design. Lovely room. Very good location.

Great location. Ok hotel.

Room was too dark. Very compact. Charged €3 for a tea, that I had to make myself in the lobby. Asked for an extra pillow but apparently none available. Front door is locked in the evening so you need to be let in by the staff.

A gem in central Paris.

There was some mold on the shower screen. Everything else was as expected.

The girls at the check in and check-out, lovely, well informed, friendly and efficient. A joy. The hotel is charming, comfortable and in the best of locations. I've stayed in hotel Crayon before and I love it!

Nice stay

Breakfast as above

Nice little quirky hotel in great area. Breakfast let it down for us - only cereal or pain au chocolate or some fruit. I expected a little more choice - there wasn't any croissants out and no ham or cheese only jam or Nutella.

Lovely staff, great location -would come again but choose a bigger room.

Room was very dark and the lights in the main room were very poor - just a reading light really to light the room. Ensuite lights were fine though. Wasn't offered a map of the city on arrival or metro map which I heard other visitors being offered. People in the room next door were easily heard so unfortunately didn't get much sleep on either night as there was a lot of coming and going very late - they were not being noisy - just very thin walls and a very squeaky door that they seemed to be opening/closing very frequently plus kids playing etc

Very friendly staff. (Yu in particular was exceptionally lovely). Location is great - very near to Les Halles and Rue Rivoli and walkable distance to Sacre Coeur, Champs Elysee etc. Kept my baggage for me on checkout day which was great whilst I had a last wander around before my return travel. Very comfortable bed. Great shower.

Reception was very helpful.

some more for breakfast as ham/sausages, cheese, fruit.

Reception was very helpful. Location is very comfortable( next to REP, Metro, museums , big shopping center. beautiful room in modern optimistic design . fresh orange juice at breakfast time and tasty coffee

The staffs were very kind and helpful when I asked for...

The staffs were very kind and helpful when I asked for restaurants recommendations. The location was extremely convenient to travel the city but also the airport. I would definitely recommend the hotel to others.

ok

The 6-th floor doesn't have an elevator - so you have to climb the stares up, literally as the space is very petit. The shuttle to the airport - 55 euro is a Total rip off, as to my mind. The front desk stuff is kind of stiff, like you are a criminal of some sort. There is no conditioner/tooth paste/brush/body lotion etc. in the bathroom kit, so be sure to take one with you. The sounds - you can hear people in the next room/anyone on the whole level as good as if they were standing 30 cv from you. Deposit is 50 euros, but I guess it is ok. No smoking area, you can smoke only outside on the street.

The location is very good, right in the center, very close to the Louvre museum. The style of the hotel is nice and the price is not too high. The check in / check out process os quite rapid.

Location of the hotel is perfect.

Location of the hotel is perfect. you reach everywhere from this location. reception welcomed us at the entrance and they were very friendly. we didn't get the chance to use the facilities. the room was clean but small(as every hotel in Paris). we had a problem with tv's remote control but they were able to fixed quickly. I highly recommend this property.

Good value hotel in a good location with a pleasant vibe

The room itself was small and plain and the furnishings were a bit worn.

Room and public spaces were cheerfully decorated; breakfast was simple but very good. Shower water pressure was excellent. Window looked out on a pleasant, quiet street view. Location was exceptionally good, within a few blocks of a main train station and close to lots of restaurants and sights. Good cafe right on the corner.

Wonderful experience of Paris, great location.

Limited space to hang up clothes. The wardrobe was v small, We lived out of a suitcase. No coffee in room although, coffee always available in Reception.

Perfect location. Close to the Louvre, very easy walk. In fact we walked everywhere from this hotel. Lots of cafes and restaurants close by. Reception staff extremely welcoming and friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, but this is Paris, we were very comfortable. Breakfast very fresh and delicious, although limited options, cereal, yogurt, fresh juice, croissants and pastries. Plenty to set us up for our day of sight seeing. This is not corporate USA, but a Boutique Hotel, one of a kind and we loved our stay.

A, location!

Requested a Double bed and received a Twin pushed together. Room was dirty; hairs and other dirt still on the floor. When we asked for a change or this to be dealt with we were informed that the receptionist was alone and couldn't leave, and that the hotel was full. Initially the price for a Double room (same price they were offering for a Twin when we checked the price again) was €250, but after booking it, it was €278!Nice quaint little hotel accorsing to French standards, but somewhat past its best days.

Friendly staff, great location!

It's a great room for someone who doesn't want to stand up or see much in the room. Location perfect

1. Was in an Attic room- where one couldn't stand up (bent in half) in half the area of the room. You have to get out of bed and ensure that you don't stand up. Ceiling to floor on that side of the bed was probably 3.5 to 4ft. 2. The room had extremely poor lighting- there was one functioning bed side lamp and a table light (not a lamp but a small light that gave very little light). I am never one to complain - but there was inadequate light to find things in a hand luggage. We reported this to the receptionist- who attended reluctantly and replaced a light bulb on the second beside lamp. This added some light but not a lot. His remark about the lighting was - "it is like this to create an atmosphere". Would have agreed and been happy if not for the fact that we needed some light to change, function.

Location - central and walking disctance from metro

deceiving. let down.
    • Two Adjacent Double Rooms

I usually don't write reviews, but this hotel warranted one. The pictures on the site are completely deceiving. They do NOT look like that when you step into them. The rooms are tiny. I know what tiny is because we have lived in New York City. And these qualify as tiny. We booked "adjoining" rooms, because we have two children, but the rooms were NOT adjoining. They were next to each other. The elevator is like a coffin. The stairs are claustrophobic. The hallways were barely existent. The rooms were not cleaned well. If you end up on the top floor (6), be forewarned that the elevator only goes to 5 and you will need to haul your luggage up a tiny spiral staircase. This system rates my stay as a 5, however, I would more likely rate it a 1.

The staff was very nice.

Colorful hotel, nice location, cleanliness

Room was extremely small. There is no lift after 5th floor. And the stairs are too narrow to climb with luggages. Staff barely could speak English, plus there isn't anyone to get you some water to drink when you call. They told us to go down to pick it up ourselves.

Colorful hotel, nice location, cleanliness

Nice location and decor but not worth the money!

There was no shower gel or other bathroom stuff when I arrived. I was told they had run out of gel! The staircase to the 6th floor is cramped so not good for taller people!

Although the location is great, I found the place a little small. The rooms are smallish, especially for two. Beware that the street can be noisy at night at the weekends. And don't bother booking the overpriced breakfast which is basically a continental breakfast for 20 euros!

the most gorgeous place you will ever stay.

more food at breakfast. like eggs

the exquise esquisse room is a masterpiece. I felt like I was staying in a modern art museum. I cannot ever stay anywhere else.

Great location cozy hotel but small rooms

Some of the lights didnt work and the room was the smallest I ever stayed in. Breakfast choice was very limited: bread, jams (most had already ran out) and pastries. No cheese or savory option.

Great location but very very small room and a tiny shower. OK for one night when you dont need to spend too much time in the hotel room and are alone.

I didn't get what I expected.

I didn't get what I expected. No elevator on the 6th floor. Had to walk 4 lagguges by myself for one floor and the stairs were incredibly small. I almost broke my neck. We were given two beds put together rather than a queen bed.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Great boutique hotel in central paris

Rooms are quite small but this is paris

Very central close to les Halles and metro to go everywhere in paris. Can walk also to a lot of nice areas. Liked the staff very friendly and does not feel like a hotel more like friends. Not the usual hotel. Like the decoration also.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

wonderful for the situation and cleanless and bed

my room was too small and bathroom very small insonorisation insufisante trop de bruit dans la nuit

all perfect specialy the emplacement heart of paris 5' for undergrond and musee louvres 3' to access rer chatelet les halles very clean we are really welcome and we dont wait

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Nice city center hotel

Hotel is non-smoking, some guests would open the window to smoke inside the room, therefore, you can still smell the cigarette smoke.

Great location, 5 minutes walking to Metro/RER station/Louvre. Many nice restaurants nearby. Free coffe/tea all day.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Interesting qwirky Boutique Style hotel

There was a terrible smell that came from the shower drain and one of the taps did not work. There were 2 levels of breakfast and the better was a walk outside around the building to another location.

Interesting qwirky Boutique Style hotel staff very helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Relaxed hotel at a great location

The lightning in the room was not optimal, especially since my room had almost no daylight. But no big deal, I didn't even mention it to the staff.

The hotel has a great location. Very close to Louvre & Tuileries and close to metro Chatelet which is on a direct line with Gare du Nord (train/metro) and airport Charles de Gaulle (train). Very friendly and relaxed staff who are ready to help you. The room was quite small, but that is nothing new in Paris.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

good place for a couple of nights, friendly and helpful...

Room on the small side, narrow beds, but good matresses.

good place for a couple of nights, friendly and helpful staff, quiet location, walking distance to Louvre and even Notre Dame.

The hotel was in a great location and had a fun, funky vibe.

My garret-like bedroom felt bohemian in not always a good way. The ceilings were low and it made it hard to navigate the small room.

The hotel was in a great location and had a fun, funky vibe. I liked the aesthetic and the air conditioning was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Cute room, great staff

Room was small which I expected.

The location was great, close to restaurants and metro. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The fire alarm was pulled at 2am and the man working night shift worked quickly to get everything cleared up so we could go back to bed. The room was clean and cute and the shower was fabulous. They have an honest bar in the lobby which I thought was a great idea.

Friendly and comfortable stay, in a good location
    • Two Adjacent Rooms

Breakfast was pretty basic - we tried it the first day but went out the second day.

Very good location for the Chatelet station, on the train line to both CdG and Orly airports. Easy walk to the river and Notre Dame, Marais district etc. On a side street, so it was nice and quiet at night even though it was close to everything. Staff were friendly and always helpful, rooms were comfortable and nice - not as tiny as many in Paris! The decor is great, and the tea/coffee all day in the lobby is nice when you want a quick break between activities. I'd stay here again very happily.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Wonderful!

Hotel Crayon is the best hotel in Paris, hands down. I first visited Hotel Crayon last year on a solo trip to Paris. I was initially looking for a safe hotel, as I am a young woman. Hotel Crayon staff went above and beyond, made me feel comforted, answered all my questions and even helped with my French. I could roam the hotel comfortably knowing if I needed anything, they would accommodate me. This trip, I revisited with my boyfriend (I insisted on this hotel) and, once again, we were blown away by the hospitality. The staff truly makes you feel at home. Alvarez (night shift) was a huge help to us at very late hours of the night which was so appreciated! I can't thank this place enough for the kindness and service they provided for us. Do not hesitate on choosing this hotel when booking. So thankful places like this exist

Great location and very good staff

The breakfasts too simple and could be more qualified.

Great location and very good staff

no AC, no elevator to reach the 6th floor, no support from...

no AC, no elevator to reach the 6th floor, no support from the staff.

The room was so small I could barely open my suitcase on the...

The room was so small I could barely open my suitcase on the floor. Same for the bathroom, hardly a place to put my toiletries.

It was an excellent stay

It was an excellent stay

It was great long week end very cozy and relaxing with the full family
    • Two Adjacent Double Rooms

Courtesy of staff, location, style of rooms

Decoration and location

Too expensive

Decoration and location

It was good, could be better with more room or space

No view from the room

The decoration was very cute!

Nice atmosphere and beautifully decorated.

Nice atmosphere and beautifully decorated.

missing shampoo in bedroom

missing shampoo in bedroom

The rooms were not only tiny but we were in the attic space meaning you couldn’t stand in 1/4 room

The size of rooms and things looks worn

The decoration

The locatiob is just perfect.

The rooms are very very tiny.

The locatiob is just perfect.

Is a great place to stay to be close to all the wonderful places to eat in Les Halles.

The street was noisy late into the night.

The beds were great.

Noise from street

OK hotel, lovely staff in brilliant location
    • Two Adjacent Double Rooms

Pink room very dark with poor lighting, poor ventilation and shower a little grubby

Location , comfortable bed

Ok.

Small bathroom, sink useless for washing up, cramped toilet space.

Nice

No tea or coffee making facility in room

Great location. Cool, quirky and spacious.

Front reception were unfriendly, unsmiling and unhelpful.

Quirky with space and comfort.

Excellent location, very friendly staff, easy check...

Excellent location, very friendly staff, easy check in/out. Fantastic experience all round.

Quaint little area in a beautiful part of Paris France

It was just what I expected and more loved Paris!!'

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Nice location, friendly, clean.

Quite small rooms, WiFi was not working properly.

Nice location, friendly, clean.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Great central Paris hotel!

Internet was very poor on the top floor.

Very friendly staff. Love the honesty bar. Room was small but comfortable.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Staff and design , location

Narrow stairs for 6th floor No cold water on tap Very small room

Staff and design , location

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

Heating not working but it was bearable.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

This is an amazing hotel thanks to its unique decor!

This is an amazing hotel thanks to its unique decor! You just have to see it. And the staff were ever so friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Wonderful relaxed place to stay in middle of paris

Comfy bed friendly staff. Very relaxed and liked the honesty bar

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Perfect location in the center of Paris.

Perfect location in the center of Paris. Excellent staff. Confortable room

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

location, friendly staff, good wifi

Towels were terrible . bring your own. Dont book if you need a large room

location, friendly staff, good wifi

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Room and bathroom too small

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

A great place to stay!

Superb location for getting to major central attractions easily. Great staff, always there with a smile and ready to help.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

Excellent location, direct train from CDG airport to Chatlet...

Nothing if you consider the price.

Excellent location, direct train from CDG airport to Chatlet station which is nearby the hotel, every touristic points are within walking distance. Excellent staff, even the room is small and basic facility. I have stayed several hotels in Paris but I didn't expect this value for money in Paris. I would come back !

• Reviewed: 1 May 2016

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast wasn't complimentary. At least some croissants could be complimentary.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was small but useful. Clean,tidy,fresh room. Location was great;safe neighborhood near to metro stations, the Louvre, shopping centres. We enjoyed our stay.

• Reviewed: 17 April 2016

We loved this small quirky and cosy hotel in a very quiet...

We loved this small quirky and cosy hotel in a very quiet backstreet just between Palais Royal and les Halles. The staff is very helpful and friendly. We will definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2016

The single room I stayed in could have done with some restoration to keep it in line with the rest of the hotel, the decoration was starting to get slightly worn out. I had what was probably an unfavourable view from my window, however it had been papered over and I could not see anything to determine this!

Great location. Good price. Friendly and helpful staff. Room small, but everything you need. Comfy bed. Air Con that heats the room quickly in the winter months.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2016

Staff extremeley friendly, nice clean room.

Tiny room, but no issue as I was aware of this and traveling alone.

Staff extremeley friendly, nice clean room. Vicinity to major RER/Metro station.

• Reviewed: 27 February 2016

We stayed only 2 nights: the position is perfect to visit...

We stayed only 2 nights: the position is perfect to visit Paris since the metro is two step away from the hotel. The room was very small but very cleaned and the shower is great.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2016

Location was good.

Room was very very small and not the room that was advertised when booking. The WiFi did not work at all in the rooms and was very weak in the lobby.

Location was good.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2015

Friendly, well-trained super staffs.

The room is so small , can only lie in it. Everything miniature. Chair, wardrobe, table

Friendly, well-trained super staffs. Stylish, youngish decor. Excellent location, comfortable bed

• Reviewed: 24 November 2015

The hotel staff is super nice.

The hotel staff is super nice. I left my apple charger at home and they charged my iPod , iPad and phone just about everyday. Also, the house keeping staff actually cleaned the room. I returned to my room midday and the housekeeper was cleaning at the time... She actually moved the bed and swiffered underneath. I was super impressed!

• Reviewed: 1 November 2015

location, and friendly staff

Lack of hanging and storage space, lack of shower caps,hairdryer. Late checking in when arriving from an early morning long flight... bed not too comfortable

location, and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 8 October 2015

Good Location, Great Staff and did what it said on the tin

The washbasin and tap configuration made it impossible to have a wash without getting water all over the floor

Good Location, Great Staff and did what it said on the tin

• Reviewed: 27 August 2015

good location, now 2 breakfast offer, the 12 euros one is...

don't expect too big rooms, but TV, beds, bathroom are at good standards, nothing is bad...

good location, now 2 breakfast offer, the 12 euros one is quite satisfying, the concept 'pen/crayon' is lovely, the receptionists are really friendly

• Reviewed: 16 May 2015

Part gallery, part hotel.

Both the buffet continental and express breakfasts weren't appealing. Only a handful of restaurants nearby. The rooms were on the small side but functional

Part gallery, part hotel. The location just minutes from the Louvre, Les Halles & several metro stations was good. Good wifi and the honesty bar in the lobby a much better concept than expensive mini bars that others have. Staff were outgoing and made you feel at home

• Reviewed: 4 May 2015

Great value and brilliant location.

Great value and brilliant location. 3mins walk to The Lourve. Lovely little cafes all around. Staff super! Even booked a new flight for us when we realised we had made a mistake in our booking. Very very clean. Wonderfully decorated. Very unusual.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2015

Fantastic location and great staff.

Fantastic location and great staff. Didier is a master concierge. The rooms are incredibly comfortable and cleaned daily. We won't stay anywhere else when in Paris, we love it so much!

There are also 26 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.