Reviews of Hôtel Malar 3 stars

29 Rue Malar, 7th arr., 75007 Paris, France

#968 of 1,578 hotels in Paris

We were on 4th floor with no lift. Not a problem most of the time but after walking miles/Kms in Paris, would have been a wonderful thing.

The location, staff, and morning pastries were fantastic! Couldn’t have asked for better!

I am a 72 year old man with heart problems, they decided to give me a room on the third floor without any elevator. Nothing on the site says that there is no elevator. Quite the contrary, they put that there is "acces pour chaises roulantes". No one even helped me with my suitcase, I had to take it up the stairs my self. I urged them to give me another room, they promised they would the next day. When i asked for it, I was yelled at by the receptionist and told "we didn't promise you anything, that's all we've got, take it or leave it" I left after that, even though I had paid for one more night. I just couldn't go up the stairs anymore, nothing is worth my health. I do not recommend the hotel at all. Staff is impolite and the site totally misrepresents what they are!

The room and toilet are beyond small.theres is no air conditioning in the stuffy rooms and it was hard to sleep. When we asked for a fan, the girl at reception was very rude.

I liked the location. The two men who worked in the afternoon and night shift were very pleasant and friendly

Nothing to report.

Quirky and quaint hotel with interesting and bright decor. The beds were really comfy, and it had a good sized bathroom. 10 minutes walk from Invalides station and the Seine. Lots of choice of supermarkets, cafes, patisseries, bars etc nearby.

Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Quaint hotel with good facilities in lovely neighborhood. Central location close to many tourist attractions. Close to metro, pastry shops, restaurants and supermarkets!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Did not like that room opened into courtyard. Temperatures necessitated keeping window open all of the time so it was noisy with guests talking in courtyard and guests walking down stairs and slamming doors. Room could have used a fan.

Great location, helpful staff

The old character of the building does not allow elevators, nor does it offer large rooms. But we worked with that.

We enjoyed our comfortable stay very much. The staff were great, the room comfortable and cleaned every day. The location near Eiffel Tower and many other sites within walking distance is perfect. There are many styles of restaurants to choose from near the hotel and over on Rue Cler.

Being a non smoker I found it horrible that all though we loved the garden that all the smokers filled our bedroom with smoke first thing and last thing at night. The walls are very thin and you can here what’s going on next door.

We found the hotel easy to find. Staff very friendly and spoke English. Even helped with my lack of French. The rooms were smaller than expected but the garden was lovely to open the door to.

There was construction that we were unaware of when booking that should have been mentioned. you could hear everything in the hotel. I mean everything. The shower was very tiny

The staff was extremely helpful, kind and our room was cozy!the location was incredible just about 5 minute walk from the Eiffel tower and plenty of ships and restaurants in the surrounding area.

The rooms are extremely small, which is to be expected in Paris, but there is NO elevator and you must carry your luggage up as many as four flights of narrow, twisting stairs. More than a backpack? Yikes! The hotel website did not note that they are undergoing major reconstruction which means hammering in the hotel until 1800hrs each night. No international TV channels. Wifi was okay.

No elevator, so if you're on one of the top floors you have to walk up many flights of stairs. No conditioner provided in the room, only a combination body wash and shampoo.

The hotel was very chic and in an amazing position. The privacy of your own bathroom and bedroom was great. The views from the top floors were great. The hotel was willing to store your bags out of sight for you after checkout. I arrived early, and they let me check in as soon as the room was ready. The staff even helped me take my bags up to my room.

Stairs! We had 4 flights of stairs to walk each time going to our room, thankfully we packed light! No microwave in the room to heat up our leftovers and none available in the hotel at all.

Woman at check in was very informative , she printed out restaurants for us since we are Vegan. So also gave us one free beverage !

It’s about six blocks to subway, no coffee pot or fridge in room. I wanted to chill my white wine and no ice/fridge. The rooms are very nice but you can hear your neighbors talking, especially crying children.

Nice establishment and staff were the best!!

To climb stairs but it was a kind of exercise

The location of the hotel is perfect , if you like walking :) i walked to the Eiiffel tower and louvre museum . Staff are very friendly and helpful .

No elevator, too tight stairs, too small bathroom and room, expensive breakfast not included in price

Great location near the Eiffel Tower, metro station, bars and restaurants. Quite clean room with everyday cleaning service, always warm when it was freezing outside, polite reception

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Heater in the room wasnt really making the room warm in paris in december... also the toilet wasnt heated so it was freezing cold.

Location was really central and the hotel is cozy

Steps are hard to get up if you have little kids or mobility issues. Otherwise no downsides to this place!

Really nice staff, comfortable room and very clean! Location is hard to beat--just a ten minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and five minutes from a metro stop!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room was in the backyard and very quiet without the usual street noises in Paris. Very friendly staff and good and fresh breakfast. Easy to get to with public transport and in the very centre of Paris close to the Eifel tower.

The parking place does not belong to the hotel and it shouldn't be mentioned as own property. It costed me 120 Euros for 3 nights. The room comfort is very pure as usual in Paris for low cost hotels.

The location near Invalides is good. The price is acceptable for Paris. The staff are very polite.

Rooms are small but very clean. It is noisy during the day and night.

Location is perfect, near to Eiffel Tower and good connection to any part of Paris.

Only reception staff was kind and helpful the rest of Hotel 00%00.😶 I have no more words to say.

I was despondent old building so noesy and small room and 50x50 shower room only so smelling alos bed bugs in the hotel rooms. I am sorting recmmending to booking.com to not recommend anyone else the charge me 200€ per 2 night.😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 no any room amenity no water boiler.

Our room was very small and noisy from other guests walking up the stairs appreciate close the Eiffel Tower

Vietnam 🇻🇳 restaurant 100 meters from hotel excellent food great value

Shower could have been bigger. Every time you turned around you'd hit the tap and the water turned off!

Went out for a hot breakfast so can't comment on the breakfast at Malar. Overall good value for a short stay. About four minutes walk to the Eiffel Tower!

As above

The location is the only positive, Unfortunately I felt like we were shoved in a closet, it was very small, did not enjoy the experience at all - maybe ok if only 1 person travelling but 2 people was not ok, so there is no real positives to share sorry

There is no air conditioning, the room is dirty, and the window does not close properly. Therefore, if people smoke outside the window, the cigarette smoke will be put in the window. Heater (radiator) failed to extinguish due to failure. It's too noisy. It is too difficult to go upstairs because there is no elevator. The male employee is very kind, but the female employee is unkind.

The stairs are narrow, you need to be careful while moving your luggage.

I loved the location. I love walking so it was perfect to reach all the great spots in Paris. I would definitely come back.

We did have a problem with our shower leaking and the stairs are quite steep with luggage - however we were offered assistance!

The hotel was right by the Eiffel Tower (5-10mins max), each member of staff we spoke to were lovely and very helpful, the metro is just round the corner. Definitely a good place to stay - would stay here again. ☺️

The room was a bit noicy, we could hear the water running from the room next to us, but the neighbours were pretty quiet so it was not a big problem for us and we could sleep well.

Staff was very friendly and helpfull, room looked very nice and was very clean, hotel looked very nice, location is perfect!

Must've have been a nightclub or house party near by, very noisy as no AC, so windows open, hard to sleep.

Location for us was very good, as we were going to visit the Musee D'Orsay and the American Church in Paris. We spent very little time in hotel, except to sleep, so don't like to spend a lot on hotel.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The heat in the room was hard to bear in the warm weather. We had to have the window open while we were in the room. It would have been good to have tea/coffee facilities in the room.,

The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was very good. The hotel was close to the Seine, the Eiffel Tower and other venues and the staff were friendly and helpful.

I would have liked to have been able to open the window.

This was a fantastic little hotel with delightful staff in a lovely neighbourhood. It's a simple hotel, but it's been decorated in a charming, quirky way. The room was small, but immaculate and well equipped. My only gripe was that I couldn't open the window - I assume for security reasons. The neighbourhood is great - lots of lovely shops, bars and restaurants - and it's just a 5-minute walk to the Eiffel Tower and to the riverside walk along the Seine. Highly recommended!

So, if you are looking for "Cheap and Cheerful straight to the point basic accommodation with no frills and thrills", Hotel Malar it is. Accommodation is pretty expensive in Paris, so if you are on a budget, then I suggest this property. The staff were very helpful, nice and always had a smile on their faces with helpful suggests. The room itself is basic, no AC but surprisingly, everything is well thought out. There are bathroom necessities available and the place is neat, hot water shower and it is kept neat all the time. I did not have breakfast at the hotel, so no comments. Do not expect too much if used to luxury. The hotel were old houses turned into a B and B, the walls are also pretty thin if you are a light sleeper, however I reckon you will be exhausted from all the activities and sightseeing around Paris to care so much. But other than that, great value for money!!

The room size and no lifts for going to the top floor.Stairs too small to climb on with heavy luggage with no assistance by the hotel folks. Also there was some construction going on the other side of the building and there was a continuos sound of drill machine since morning disturbing the sleep

The location of being close to the Eiffel Tower and the Lobby area ONLY

There was supposed to be a mini bar or fridge in the room and there was not. There was no a/c and no fans were offered or available. There was no ice available. We did not sleep at all due to the heat.

The location was great and easy to find. The style of the lobby was cute

Coffee should be free a little gripe but really the only one I have

The lady on the front desk was nothing short of a star there is no elevator as it is an old building and my room was on the top floor she even offered to carry my case. Truly above and beyond helpful.

continue as you are

extremely nice atmospher, fantastic service, Very clean, key central location, it has been my 4th time to paris and it has been the same and only hotel i use.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

The staircase is steep and no lights sometimes esp at night, to climb to your room esp if you stay at 4th floor. Shower place is too small if you are big size.

Location is great. No regret chosen this hotel

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

The shower was ridiculously too small,the price was reasonable, the breakfast was just OK, the receiptionists and other staffs were really friendly

Receptionists were friendly

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Ok the rooms could have been a little more spacious as a big guy the shower didn't have much room but that's nitpicking. For the centre of Paris and the great location and cheap price it was really worth it.

The price of the hotel was cheap as the location was perfect not far to walk to major attractions. Had no problems with any of the staff always helpful but I might mention sonya and giom were extra kind and friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

There is no elevator, you should use the stairs for 4th floor. The building and furnitures seem a bit old. Rooms are small.

Location is perfect. Staff is helpful. Cheap.

Hairdryer was weak.

Excellent cost/benefit relation. Location is excellent (five minutes from Eiffel Tower and from Pont de l'Alma metro station) and room quality is very good for the price paid. I highy recommended Hotel Malar!

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

My rooms was a bit too small but fine - and a bit noisy as it was facing the internal garden

Great Hotel! If you want to go to Paris, stay at Hotel Malar. Great atmosphere, staff super nice (Guillaume at reception was very kind to me), hotel has its own style and this is something very hard to find nowadays (especially with big chains hotel). In walking distance from Eiffel Tower!!!!

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Taps loose in bathroom. Shower not working initially and my partner had to adjust it. 2 single beds put together with 2 single quilts when requested a double. Coat hooks loose and upside down. Toilet stained on arrival. Not value for money in my opinion.

The bathroom was small but I have nothing bad to say about the hotel it was a nice stay.

The beds were really comfy I had a lovely sleep. The location is great only round the corner from the eiffel tower. Me and my partner loved the city it was a walk to all the main landmarks which was really useful. Bathroom was a bit small but the room felt cosy.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

The bed was very comfortable! The staff were very helpful-taxi, airport shuttle, etc! This hotel is a great distance from the Eiffel Tower and there are many options in the area for restaurants! Bonus: we had a sparkly toilet seat! :p

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Bedroom in open courtyard, had to block bottom of door with towels, bed should have a headboard in this room it had bricks on them that stood out from the wall! Great to look at not good to rest your head against.

Staff were fantastic, location perfect! Breakfast delicious. I would go back - just not the same room.

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I did not like apart from having to leave. However, I have two little pointers from the point of view of a wheelchair user: 1) The bed is a little low, making it nigh on impossible for me to get in or out of myself. A higher bed would be a huge bonus, so maybe something to consider in the future. Alternatively, a grab rail, but I can't really see how you could fit one in that would be of any use for this particular purpose. 2) The tiles in the bathroom get slippery when wet. A suggestion would be to have one or two slip safe bathroom mats for disabled (or even just old) guests to make it just a little bit safer.

This hotel is by far one of the most charming little homes away from home I've ever stayed in! As a wheelchair user travelling through Europe with my assistant, I expect things to be difficult and far from perfect. It is, however, in the small things that the biggest difference lies. At Hôtel Malar, staff are going above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and at ease. It really takes no more than a couple of minutes before you realise these people will do anything in their power to make your stay the best possible experience. Obviously, booking into a small period built hotel around the corner from the Eiffel Tower, you cannot expect to get the space and standard of a modern, purpose built hotel. (On the other hand, where's the charm in hotels that are so much alike that you can't tell which city, let alone country, you're in?) What makes Malar such a lovely place is that it allows you to feel, if but for a few nights, that you are living in Paris! Yes, the rooms are small, but they are authentic. Yes, you might be able to hear your neighbours, but hey, you're in Paris! This is how many of the greatest artists and musicians and writers lived. This is where they were inspired to create their masterpieces! I bet you not one single piece of immortal art has ever been produced at, or inspired by, a Radisson. Forget, for a moment, everything you think hotels should be, and imagine instead that you are a lodger in Paris renting a room from an eccentric but well meaning family and you know what to expect. They will help you with your bags, organise your travel, tell you where to eat, what to see, make sure the breakfast is to your liking, help you with phone calls or whatever you need. And they will do it as if you were not a bother at all! The wheelchair accessible room is in the back and has a wonderful en suite shower/wc.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

It would be good if the hotel made clear that there's no lift: the stairs are narrow and heavy luggage is awkward to carry up and down

Superb location - quiet but very close to lots of restaurants and shops. Sweet room with small en-suite - lots of character

unlike the first time in this hotel, I was disapointed by the accommodation this second time. room price was almost double, there was no fridge !!!!!!!!!! - UNACCEPTABLE! low quality of guests / visitors - very loud, very reckless internet connection was very poor.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

Elevator not working, ancient spiral staircase to 5th floor. Some noise from other rooms possible, not too much of a burden.

Super location in the 7th arondissement. Close to Tour Eiffel. Quiet/safe location, close to good bars and restaurants. Upper-class neighborhood. Room small, but ok. Clean bathroom. Good for a short stay. Cheapest hotel in the district, rest is twice as expensive.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

They took out 80 euros reservation fee from my account which I haven't been notified of, and when I got there they told me that they returned the 80 euros already, but it's been a month already from my holiday in paris and I still don't have it. They steal your money and you have to pay the full price upon check out. Now, I'm currently back home here in London and they won't even answer my email back of how is the process of retrieving the money to my bank account back. If you don't want your money stolen from your bank account then don't come here.

The room has a theme which is nice and apart from that, the location is just 10 minutes walk away from the eiffel.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

They don't have an elevator and our room was on the 4th floor. Carrying luggage on 1st and last day was a pain. But the guy at the reception helped us with it on day 1. Better to try and book a room on the ground floor.

The location is awesome and just 5 to 10 mins away from the Eiffel tower. The lane is lively n has lots of restaurants. The staff is extremely helpful and accommodating. Especially the girl at the reception ..I forgot her name but she suggested us to walk instead of taking the metro once and it was the best decision ever.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Wifi working on and off. No lift. We had to carry quite a lot of luggage up 3 flights of narrow stairs.

Hot water, cleanliness, close to Eiffel tower. Staff 24/24 (we arrived at 2am). A quick call in the afternoon to let them know when we would check in was appreciated though. Parking in the street was free Saturday evening and all day Sunday when we were expecting to have to pay a lot!

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Wifi is not good... Doesn't work many times But I have mobile wifi, so no problem for me, but if I haven't, that's very big problem ...

All Staff are very kind and good location. I like this hotel! If I comeback to Paris, I'll book again!

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

No elevator. The room is quite small. The shower area was not big enough, when I turned around, I can mistouch the hot water tap.

The location is close to the Eiffel Tower. There is also an amazing Italian restaurant nearby. Nice staff and security.

My only concern was that our bathtub/shower was very high to step out of and I am a short person. It was slippery, so I am worried that short people or older people might have difficulty getting in and out of it. Other than that I was very satisfied with the accommodations

The staff is simply exceptional. Guilliamme was there to check us in and went over and above to make us comfortable. Though the neighborhood might be a little bit away from the main action of Paris, it was close to train stations and very peaceful with good restaurants nearby. Every recommendation that the hotel gave us for a place to go or place to eat ended up working out fantastically. I think the location was actually perfect for us because we could go have a busy day and then go back to a quiet space but I gave it a three out of four because some people might be want to be closer to some main attractions. However, we were not far from the Eiffel Tower and it was really charming to turn a corner in our neighborhood and see the tower rising above the buildings

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Bathroom was dirty: the shower cabin was full of mould stains and its drain was stuck. The cabine door was not working properly and it was repaired several times. I found everywhere long female hair in the bathroom. The carpet in the room had several holes, and I suppose the bedding was not properly washed/or i rather think that it was not replaced since the previous customer. I felt the smell of his/her head on the pillow. Walls are really thin, I heard everything what my neighbour did and said, although it is due to the fact that this is a very old authentic building. This hotel is rather for tourists with one night stay, but not suitable for my business trips.

Staff is overly friendly, breakfast is really good.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

The bathroom is too small and no lift . I was stayed in third floor and the stair is narrow . If we have many luggages , it become dangerous.

Location is near Eiffel Tower and the staff is nice

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Our room was upgraded and we stayed at the first floor. The room size is good. The room and bathroom are clean. The hotel is in a great location, Eiffel tower is walking distance. With nearby shops and restaurants. Highly recommendable.

From all of the hotels I have been to in Europe this by far had the most comfortable bed!!!! With a big fluffy blanket!! The staff is so nice!! This is a boutique hotel with such a beautiful artistic lobby! I highly recommend this hotel and it's very affordable!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

I wish we could have stayed a bit longer, as we really enjoyed our stay there.

Hidden gem, situated in a great location - Eiffel Tower just around the corner. The hotel is really one of a kind: extraordinary design, enchanted flair and very friendly staff. Every room of the hotel is differently decorated with lots of attention to small details. We loved the patio were breakfast was served. Our dogs felt very welcome too.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

On booking.com, it mentions parking- as if onsite, there is none! Receptionist clearly advised no private parking & nearest parking 5 min walk & 40euros for up to 24hrs, this was underground secure parking. This needs to be amended on booking.com as it's misleading, we specifically searched for hotels with parking.

Excellent location, friendly staff, comfy beds, lovely quirky boutique style hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Awesome place with interesting room design, courtyard and nice soul attached to every detail! Stuff was really helpful and could not do better job for us!

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

The location is perfect, very close to all major tourist attractions ( Eiffel Tower, Invalides) and the staff of the hotel are very helpful. Cute small place and comfy bed and room.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

No elevator. Extremely narrow and winding staircase -> difficult to lug heavy suitcases, especially if your room is on the 3rd floor!

The staff were very polite and helpful. The location was amazing.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

The English soccer louts who were drunk and sang and chanted from 2-3 in the morning were not the hotel's fault, but they came close to ruining our trip. (Sound proofing of rooms is NOT good.) Maybe with Brexit they will all stay home.

The staff was courteous, friendly, and helpful. They make this quirky little hotel in this very livable arrondismont a nice (but not luxurious) place to stay. Looking for luxury? Don't come here. Looking for livable and off the wall a bit. Come on.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

I'm about 5ft 11" and a little round around the edges and honestly to me the only thing I had a problem with was the bathroom. When you go in you have to close it in behind you or else the water splashes the floor and toilet. When closed in it's very difficult to maneuver. Other than that it was a blessing. Honestly, for the price and location it was the best. As a side note, most channels on the t.v. are in French but we didn't care, I mean you're in Paris on vacation. Also, there's a wooden staircase to go up and I'm sure a little exercise is good for the body. For elderly and wheelchair accessibility I saw ground level rooms were available but don't quote me, contact the staff they are very friendly.

I loved the fact that the location was literally 5 to 10 mins away from the Eiffel tower walking. This made seeing it's lights in the night even more wonderful. It is very close to a lot of food areas (Resturants to dine in, shops for bread or pastries,shops for fruits and many more). You will never have to worry about food at any time. There is always something open in this area.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

It was a little noisy in the morning time as it is in a very busy neighborhood. Also the bathroom was a bit cramped.

The staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful.

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

The wifi signal was a bit weak in the room. So any time I shut the blinds it wouldn't work that well. But thats a simple fix for the hotel to do. Otherwise it works well in other parts of the hotel.

The hotel, was very central and close to the Eiffel tower (7mins walk). It had a nearby supermarket and surrounding restaurants. Very comfortable bed, space was good and attractive rooms. Bathroom was also spacious with modern amenities. Just to note, on arrival our rooms on the ground floor were upgraded, so i'm assuming they will do that for the other rooms as well. Staff was pleasant and very welcoming. For the price its well worth it. Definitely recommended.

Very very small rooms

Nice decor

No lift facility for the 4th floor rooms

No lift for the 4th floor rooms

• Superior Double or Twin Room

It is to hot, could not sleep, no air condition and no fan. Room is small.

room located at the front on the street

Noise in the evening