Reviews of Mary's Hotel République 2 stars

15 rue de Malte, 11th arr., 75011 Paris, France

#1310 of 1,602 hotels in Paris

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

Nice hotel, definitely worth the price
    • Apartment

Do not expect much of the bathroom in the appartement on the 6th floor, it is very basic and a bit outdated.

Very near subway station Oberkampf ('sortie bd Voltaire'). The rooms are small but nice. There are a lot of shops and restaurants around. Hotel is in a quiet street.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Good stay, but too short!
    • Family Suite

The floor on arrival was not clean, there were the remains of the bread from a previous guests and during all our stay the floor was not cleaned. The toilet lid doesn't seem so clean on arrival. The curtains of bathroom were not clean. The mattress of the bed wasn't clean. There is no fridge in the room. You need to leave a key in the reception and when you back in the hotel there is no document or surname asked, seems like anyone could enter to the room, I didn't feel so safe. The room of the luggage's is locked but no any label putted on it with the names or room numbers.

The reception sir on arrival was gentile and helpfull. The other days the reception workers didn't speak much.. The hotel has a good position, even if I prefer the other side of the river. The towels were changed every day and the bed was done every day. Towels were clean and the bed sheet also. We took a room for 4 people and the size was ok. I liked the room and it seemed nice for 2 stars hotel. Good price for 4 people room. It is possible to leave a luggage after check out.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Good budget 2 star hotel in great part of Paris.
    • Superior Single Room

Nothing, everything was fine. The bathrooms were small but not a problem-it is budget accommodation.

Location very good, just by the metro & close to bars etc

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

I think if we return I will definitely be looking for something else in the 5th!

first off, we couldn't get in due to a door locking issue (stuck). later we couldn't get out for the same door issue which the maintenance attempted to fix but couldn't. bathroom door was bigger than the jam so would not close all the way. this was our first time in this area and staff did not speak enough English to assist. thankfully my wife did a review of the local businesses.

Nice clean hotel in a questionable area. staff were friendly and we had a room on the 4th floor with good windows that reduced the noise from the downstairs bars/cafes/restaurants.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

The female receptionist that was working in the morning was very bad. She barely knows simple things in english and her attitude is very unprofessional.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Location and close to metro

Rooms too small Corridors too small Bathrooms too small , toilet seat hardly accessible Bathrooms badly maintained One room , we had 4 rooms , door didn’t close probably

Location and close to metro

Location is very accessible to metro

Very noisy in our first night. Construction next door ongoing for the whole night banging drilling and all sort of disturbing sounds. We didn’t sleep at all.

Location is very accessible to metro

Personal valuable damaged - stressful experience, would not recommend

During my stay, I was woken up at 3 am and called down because for an uber only to realize it was a mistake on the hotels part. The name just "sounded" like mine so they decided it was ok to wake me up. I can let that one as a one-off mistake. However, the next day, my daughter's straightener was broken by the cleaner, who accepted it and apologized. I was told confidently I'd receive a call about a reimbursement or to solve this issue but I've gotten nothing, no replies to my e-mails or calls and it's been 1.5+ months. It completely ruined my daughters trip as her Master's graduation was the next day, so when we landed in London, we had to do was stress out and find a place to buy a replacement straightener. Never have we had an experience like this and this is our 3rd time travelling to Paris. It's safe to say this place does not about care about your valuable. I wouldn't recommend to friends or family.

The location was the only good thing about this place.

The location and value
    • Superior Single Room

The man when who checked me in when I arrived was very friendly. In the morning the lady at the front desk not so friendly with a surly man sitting in the lobby all morning.

The location and value

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Feel like staying here? Think twice!

We arrived at the reception at night, we were 3 people and when we got to the room, it was for 2 people instead. The receptionist (in the worst mood ever) gave us another single room for my other friend. Next day we went to visit Tour Eiffel, and around 12 I received a call from the hotel saying we should've returned the key (nobody told us anything about this), and that they were moving our things to another room and giving our previous rooms to other people. Yes.. somebody got into our rooms, packed our things and put them on another room. All because they messed up with our reservation and gave us the wrong room in the first place. Oh and my friend left the socks inside the bed sheets, and of course they weren't on the new room, which makes me think they don't change the linen between guests... So disgusting.. and RIP to my friend's socks.

Good location, and we paid 128 EUR for 2 nights 3 people, so it was cheap.

Good value for small central room

Great location, very small but comfortable Everything you need for a quick stop over in Paris, and you're not planning on spending much time at the Hotel

Great Value, Great Location

Maybe air con as additional option. But very hot week 34c

Superb location. Family room for £95.00 is amazing value. Local bars and restaurants great and local area had great buzz. Staff helpful, room clean and shower powerful. Local parking easy and free between 1800 and 0800

Room was sooooooo dirty and small. There was no anything to use in badroom. Shampoo etc. They put only very bad soap. Bed covering and window curtain, there is no any word to discribe how they were dirty. It was terrible experience for us.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Lovely cosmopolitan area lovely street cafes just around the...

Parking is 33 € for 24 hours in a car park minutes away but I have to say this is Paris and as most capital city's parking is a night mare and that's no fault of Marrys

Lovely cosmopolitan area lovely street cafes just around the corner to chill and watch the world go by after a busy day sight seeing . The metro is around the corner the staff spoke great English and gave us lots of help . It's clean and comfortable just a really nice little hotel thank you for a lovely stay xx

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

With correct expectations, this is the place for a great night's sleep!
    • Family Suite

It is nearly impossible to state what we didn't like because we received more than we anticipated for the price we paid. If you book this through booking.com, the rate will be highly competitive to any other price you find. Bon chance!

Having read reviews from other customers, we thought we knew what to expect. Walking there from the metro station close by, we were pleasantly surprised by all aspects of this hotel -- the staff, the room, and the breakfast surpassed our expectations. While it is not a hyperluxurious hotel, we were more than pleased by the accommodations of the room. Four of us fit comfortably in the double and two twin beds. Sure there was not a lot of space left over, but the purpose of the room was to have a place to sleep and relax while being in Paris -- because who goes to Paris to sit in a hotel room for a long time? Our room's bathroom was not large, but it more than met our needs. The hotel's common areas were clean and pleasant. Finally, the breakfast included a good selection of foods, from croissants and coffees to meats, cheeses, and other items. Bottom line: We liked it enough to try to stay again after a trip to Normandy and had to stay elsewhere when it was full on the date we wanted.

I was there for one night to help with flight connection.
    • Superior Single Room

I was there for one night to help with flight connection. Great value for money. Chap on duty at front desk very cheerfully stored some yoghurt I had bought in the kitchen and retrieved it piecemeal when I wanted to have it in the evening and morning.

This was an amazing trip made even more enjoyable by...
    • Apartment

This was an amazing trip made even more enjoyable by Mary's Hotel République! Myself and 4 other friends stayed in the top private apartment for 4 nights, it was in perfect location for us to explore and travel into the centre of Paris. The apartment itself was clean, bright and airy, spacious also considering there was 5 of us. It provided all the necessities we needed, including a working fridge, oven and microwave - with supermarkets close by we were able to cater ourselves; perfect if you are on a budget! Clean towels were provided each day with every bed also being made, as well as the bin being emptied. Staff were also very friendly and helpful when we needed advice on transport etc. The metro couldn't of been closer, and the area felt like such a community. A real stunning apartment, decorated simply but with style. I would defiantly stay here again and recommend to others.

Location, value for money, most people are very nice, room...
    • Superior Single Room

Very hot in summer (there was a fan though :) ) and the room I got was on the inside so no natural daylight at all (while my booking said “cityview”) it was alright though because I was away a lot and it gives less noise I guess but will ask for an exterior room next time :)

Location, value for money, most people are very nice, room has all you need and is quite big. The clothes rack is very handy

Great location!! Great price and Staff!

It was an unusually hot week in Paris, so it got very hot in our room. We did not get a fan until our last night's stay. I think the heat took the staff and locals by surprise. Still, a great hotel! Don't buy the expensive hotel breakfast. Walk around the corner to the locally-owned boulangerie and get some croissants and an espresso for a fraction of the price. Other than the breakfast, this place is lovely.

The location, the employees. Our tiny, but lovely room.

Pathetic, don't just get trapped with great location.

The rooms are too small, also the air circulation and ventilation was bad, which created suffocation in the room, and even after asking many a times for table fans, put of three nights stay there on the last night they provided the table fan.

Location only.

Staff very nice.

Very very tiny room and shower. You couldn't move at all with your luggage in the room. There also was an ant issue.

Staff very nice. A pretty good location.

Small rooms, no air con but good location for metro

The rooms were very small and cramped which was to be expected in the city. No air con for the summer temperatures which was almost unbearable. We asked for a fan which was no problem but didn't quite do the job

Location was very good. You are right beside Oberkampf metro and there is a cafe/bar right beside the hotel which is reasonably priced. Republique main square was about 5 mins walk.

Great location and accessible to train station.
    • Apartment

We live in the 6th floor and the stairs can be pretty steep to get up with luggages.

Great location and accessible to train station. Their family room fits 5 adults comfortably.

I would stay again, perhaps not in summer.

No A/C or fan in room during summer can be hot and therefore, you can hear others with their windows open. Didn't sleep well perhaps due to the heat and the soft rumble of noise of voices and pigeons cooing in the morning.

Great location, very very close to Metro entrance south Oberkampf and direct access one line to Gare du Nord but two metro lines at Oberkampf. Elevator is bigger than in most Parisian hotels and not cramped. Wifi was very strong and luckily weren't too many people streaming videos in the evening. Good price and great location for bars and restaurants as well.

Great location and stay in Paris

No AC, but could open our windows at night.

Great location, right next to the Metro and also near great restaurants... Room was comfortable for Paris and felt very safe in the hotel.

Location and friendly staff.

Mattress has severe sag and smells like dirty socks. Mold in bathroom. The mattress in our hostel up the road from earlier in the week was much more comfortable.

Location and friendly staff.

Good for what you pay for

Curtain of shower and window as well as bedlinen had old dirt marks which I guess is impossible to wash but I don't think it's ok to continue using them and giving them to clients. No bags in rubish bins and no shampoo or shower gel,so don't forget to bring your own. The walls are tiny so if you have noisy neighbours as we did - sorry. Apart from these 2 things the rest is ok.

The location is very good - few steps to metro station. There are plenty of cafes, bakeries and restaurants around. You can also walk to Louvre in about half an hour. The rooms are not that small how everyone is complaining about. The size is OK and is completely normal as a double bedroom. The staff were friendly, not everyone of them spoke English but we did not have any problems with communication. I could say it's very good option for this low price in Paris.

Do not stay here.
    • Standard Single Room

I'm generally not too picky and have stayed at plenty of great and decent 2-star hotels, hostals, and guesthouses. This place, at least according to my room, does not warrant a 2 star hotel rating, it simply does not meet the standards for cleanliness or human habitation. There was black mold all over the bathroom grouting, all of the surfaces in the bathroom and bedroom were still dirty from previous guests. Shower curtain needs to be replaced by a fully suited hazmat team from the ECDC. Everything about the room was decrepit, dirty and generally abhorrent and gross, I am just glad this was a one night stay as it would have ruined my stay in Paris if this were my hotel for multiple nights. The sheets were a polyester blend and my request for cotton sheets was brushed aside by the front desk. I did not get any sleep due to the polyester sheets.

Location is good

Noisy and basic

Was waken up at 9 on a weekend by the vacuum or the cleaning guy who kept on knocking at my door even after I told him that I did not need anything and that I was still sleeping...

The staff is nice

Location was great.
    • Superior Single Room

Met my room door open after being out ( They had just finished cleaning and the nice gentleman had gone quickly to get fresh towels ). My next appropriate reaction was to go to reception and find out why but guess what guys, the receptionist was upset I came to complain about it. Giving me attitude for complaining to him. His response was, " It's a safe hotel" like its totally appropriate for you come back and meet your hotel door open! I was in shock!

Location was great. Bed was confortable for me.

It was excellent. Great location and value for money.
    • Standard Single Room

My room was actually very small....

Location was wonderful. So easy to get to the Marais area. Lots of little bars and cafes close by...means that breakfast is very easy to find within 50m of the hotel.

Strategic place but noisy!

The first night I was staying there. There was a lot of noises in the hallway, people are knocking door and shouting at 1 AM! and we seriously could hear the guest next to us talking 😔 So after a long day exploring the city, you can’t really have a good sleep 😫

The things that nice ablut the hotel is just the location and the price. Don’t expect more,

Very good location near a metro station that we could reach...

The room smells funny and one of the staff member was not very helpful or even amicable

Very good location near a metro station that we could reach there whole city

Not recommended!!!!
    • Superior Single Room

Room is so small, not clean, there’s no refrigerator & basic amenity... The female staff was super inhospitable!! I was unhappy while styaing.

Great location! Easy access to everywhere in paris

The owner was racist.

The owner was racist. The moment we checked in he started off with racist jokes. The staff was rude. The room and bathroom were very small and congested. Don't waste your money here.

The great location makes up for the tiny rooms

The rooms are really small. I was expecting the tiny room, because - its Paris, and yet I was surprise how tiny the room was - there was a barely room for a suitcase.

Excellent location, next to metro and in a walking distance to the center. Close the lively Le Marais. Bars, Restaurants and Shops around.

The staff were very friendly and nice, the location is...
    • Superior Single Room

No sound proofing, you could hear every single thing that was happening in the corridor. The room wasn't perfectly clean, there was hair on the floor. The room is extremely dark as the window is looking out to a dark, messy skylight.

The staff were very friendly and nice, the location is excellent too.

Good

It isn t very clean.

Is there a subway station 50 mts from the hotel. The location was good, quiet and normal people, the personal were super nice. The room was also good.

The stay was pretty good and made it easy to navigate the city.
    • Family Suite

The continental breakfast is not free! They charge at the end of your stay and it is similar to restaurant pricing.

The room was clean and convenient and the staff was friendly and seemed to remember all of their guests. It is REALLY close to the metro station.

The location and the price are the best about this hotel.

The rooms are really small and you don´t have the place to put your baggage, you end up in the messy room every time you open it. Also, the pillows are really uncomfortable. After 3 nights there, I can´t turn my neck.

The location and the price are the best about this hotel.

Good location, friendly and supportive staff, cleaning room.

The room is quite small, but quite comfortable for 2 stars hotel and that is good example of price and quality.

Good location, friendly and supportive staff, cleaning room. There are many restorants around.

Short break in Paris and Disneyland
    • Family Suite

Not having a kettle in the room but the gentleman on reception in the evening was very obliging and filled my flask with hot water when I asked

It was an excellent location just a few steps from the metro and a lovely brasserie. It was clean enough and the beds were comfortable

Overall our 10 day stay was pleasant and convenient. We highly recommend this hotel.

One of the sockets in the room was not functioning and it remained so despite informing reception. The room, but mostly the shower cubicle, was very small.

The location is fantastic, the room is fairly clean but the room and bathroom were quite small, but i guess it falls within Paris's standard. I will definetely return to this hotel, particularly for the location, the proximity to a metro station and the surrounded restaurants/shops.

Ok if you need a room to stay overnight and not in a hostel
    • Standard Single Room

Wi-fi was very slow, even though I was living on the first floor. Quite noisy, was waking up all night because of the doors clapping. There was no blanket and the coverlet was dirty and disgusting.

One of the cheapest possibilities in Paris with private bathroom

Convenient location, 20m from the metro station.

The room was a bit small, however I understand that most hotels in Paris have small rooms. The room could be a bit cleaner, was liveable but the areas near the walls and hard to get to places were dirty and dusty.

Convenient location, 20m from the metro station.

perfect location (10 meters to metro, 30 minutes to Louvre)

Nothing to say, except, not critical, but noticed hair on the toilet, apparently from previous guests.

1. Perfect stuff - fast check-in, available all night. 2. Perfect location - 10 meters to metro, 20-30 minutes to Louvre and good cafes for breakfast near hotel. 3. Clean room every day.

Cleanliness of the room and clean towels.

Tiny bathroom space, bedroom and lift.

Cleanliness of the room and clean towels. Worth the money and location is very near the Oberkampf station. Cafes, restaurants, supermarket express is also nearby. There is also a shoe cleaning machine at the reception

location and value for money. Dirty small rooms
    • Standard Single Room

Room has Dirty floors (I could even spot little bugs walking everywhere! Yuk). Extra small bathroom. Bed stiff like a rock. Horrid. Also staff not very nice. When you asked for something that wasn't the key sounded like you were bothering them.

Location from the metro station. Very easy to commute to and from

Nice stay at mary hotel

The check in hour was a little bit late

Clean rooms, nice area, the subway was practically in front of the building, price advantageous, 24h reception

We had one night in Paris and Mary's was a great place to lay our heads.

It's a budget hotel so there's not much in the way of amenities - no fridge or tea/coffee making, but we were only there one night so it didn't matter. The room was a bit too warm and not very well ventilated, even though it was February, and there wasn't much we could do to change the temperature except open a window.

Just down the road from Oberkampf Metro station, the hotel is easy to get to by public transport - one train change from the airport and you're there! A secure entrance and efficient desk staff greet you when you arrive. Check-in times are firm, but you can leave luggage securely at the hotel before check-in. The rooms are adequate sized, fairly quiet, and very clean, and the beds comfortable. We particularly appreciated the lift, as our room was on the fourth floor. Towels and bed linen were good.

Nice helpful staff, clean basic room, good location

Bed was hard and duvet was very thin but we did go while snowing so was freezing outside, also didn’t like handing key back into reception when you go out of hotel and asking for it again when you arrive back

Was nice and clean with friendly staff, a simple, Basic room, good location, good for a short stay I would say

We enjoyed our stay very much.

The lift was a bit cramped and seemed quite old and scary, but we got over that pretty quickly. Didn’t get a chance to try the breakfast as we just ate around in the cafe’s. Sheets were redone the next day but weren’t changed.

Staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome, they even gave us a few restaurant recommendations which was really nice. The room was clean and looked quite modern and had everything we needed. Was a good place to stay as students and first time travellers, especially if you’re on a budget, as it was excellent value for money. Beds were comfortable.

Smart choice

There was no fridge in the room

The hotel was very good. Clean and remodeled rooms. It was very close to the metro and located in a great area. Great place to stay

Convenient stay in the heart of Paris
    • Standard Single Room

The bathroom is really very tight. It accommodates a medium body shape. Large people can’t fit in properly.

Location is great. One minute walking from Oberkampf metro stop. 7 minutes walking to Place de la République. 20 minutes walking and you will be in the heart of the marais.

• Standard Single Room

The lack of response from their side when by mistake the hotel was booked twice for a mechanical error. ( same night, two rooms for one person, does is seem logical to you?). More than a hundred euros that will never come back and definitely not worth two-nights-price for that stay. Disappointing booking and the hotel interaction and management.

The bed was a little small but very comfortable to sleep.

The bed was a little small but very comfortable to sleep. The hotel staff were number 1 and very friendly. We enjoyed our stay in Paris thanks to them. We will be coming again. Just next we need one of the bigger rooms. Top location only 45 min. from Charles Du Gaulle airport and to all the main attractions in just a few minutes away.

Good location, clean room and kind staff :)
    • Family Suite

Elevator is very small. If you have a huge baggage please remind it. But usually, is not problem

Good location, clean room and kind staff :) I really enjoyed our stay. Thanks.

It's a two star hotel for a reason, but at leat it's cheap and handy for emergency stay.
    • Standard Single Room

My single room was very small it felt a little clusterphobic. The bathroom was too small, the WC was so close to the sink, I couldn't sit on it.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was clean.

Great value, great location, clean room, good service

There is no kettle/ tea making facilities in room which is a little inconvenient

Great value in terms of price, in fact cheapest of all within the area, great location - right next to metro station, 20 minutes walk to Pompidou Centre, 35 to the Louvre, clean room, very friendly and helpful staff

Fantastic location with lots of restaurants near by and about 20 steps away from the metro! Small room and bathroom but comfortable and good for the price considering how expensive Paris is! Nice friendly staff too!

Splendid location with good restaurants to dine around. Ease of accessibility to metro
    • Family Suite

Breakfast was not that great. There was no information on what was available on the menu. It would be great to add some flavors to the spread.

Facilities and comfort in the room were excellent. Very near to Oberkampf metro station. M9 and M5 metro routes are pretty good enough to move anywhere around quickly

Practical place to stay while visiting Paris
    • Family Suite

Elevator didn't work. You could hear foot steps from occupants of the room above us and people walking up and down the stairs.

Most of the staff was very helpful and accommodating. Very close to Oberkampf Metro station. Mini mart, bakery, coffee shop & variety of restaurants nearby.

• Standard Single Room

The receptionist could be more polite. She should no eat while assisting customers. She does not smile at all and should learn the word "Merci " when a customer is leaving the location.

The first receptionist was very helpful and nice

The second receptionist was very rude. He didn't help my 77 year old grandpa bringing the down his luggage on the stairs. The elevator was not working. The room are very tiny.

The first receptionist was very helpful and nice

It could have been very different, but I'm feeling stolen by the hotel.

I had problem with the payment. Was charged 2x for a problem with the card. But after 1 month the hotel did not work and I am still at a loss. Booking also sinned, because every time I call, they say they will return but they don't.

Simple but sufficient breakfast. Easy access to the metro.

Easy walking distance to the Picasso Museum, Notre Dame,...

Easy walking distance to the Picasso Museum, Notre Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, etc. 1/2 block from Oberkampf metro station, with lines direct to Gare du Nord and Gare de l'Est. The RER from the airport is a bit of a nightmare but the hotel's easy metro access is wonderful. There is a little grocery 1/2 block away that has reasonable prices, and a nice little Tabac that makes wonderful coffee. Several very good restaurants are just a block or so away.

Well located hotel .
    • Family Suite

Budget Hotel . No kettle or hair dryer . No fridge .

Great central location . Easy going , Peaceful.Great for Young families wanting to be centrally located and don't mind eating in restaurants Good for Young people and couples who need basic accommodation .

Nice and quiet
    • Family Suite

Paris is a bit pricey. Even the breakfast at this wonderfully priced hotel was 12€.

We had the best sleep here. We were away from the majority of the noise and the curtains were able to make our room dark! It’s honestly the best sleep I’ve had in a while.

Hotel was nice for the area

Bathroom attention

The room was nice but quite small. The cleaning lady did not clean toilet daily but everything else was great and desk staff wonderful and very helpful .

perfect stay
    • Standard Single Room

Staff was so very helpful. The Republique is where Pariseans live, we others just visit and then we will forever thank them for their beautiful city.

We had a lovely vacation and the location meant we could walk to all the conveniences we needed andu

Could have supplied a few more essentials in room. More toilet tissue, with a minimum of one back up. Room a little tiny for two.

The. Holding was secure having to be rung in to.

A very good place!

Room and bathroom was a little bit small but it's quite ok because that's Paris. :)

Very helpful staff. Clean and comfortable beds. Just only 100m to Oberkampt Metro, easy to travel around Paris.

Avoid this hotel. Way overpriced and poor standard.
    • Family Suite

I paid €181, without breakfast, for this appalling hotel. For this price, the room had no toiletries, just some soap in a dispenser. And it was cold. The reception didn't even explain how the internet worked. I really don't know if they are trying to be comedians or whatever. But it wasn't funny. It'd be fair enough if I'd paid €50 or something. But €181?

Not much. Overpriced hotel with very little going for it.

Ok....hotel

Ants in the room, very very small rooms, no hand towels, not a big selection for breakfast. Charged to store bags at hotel on day of checkout

Just a few steps from the metro, lots of eateries and shops around.

Staff was very nice!

Room was too small with no facilities whatsoever, bathroom tiny!!!!! The whole floor stank from cigarettes, the room itself also reeked from cigarettes. We dont smoke.

Staff was very nice!!!! Helpfull always.