Reviews of Verlain 3 stars

97 rue Saint Maur, 11th arr., 75011 Paris, France

#857 of 1,578 hotels in Paris

Excellent value, and staff. Terrific Lebanese restaurant just down the street (Mezze du Liban, 48 Rue St. Maur) best meal we had in Paris in more than a week.

Very old type, and tiny room. Room amenities are very very poor with a very tiny shower.

Closer to a Metro Station, and the Staff are very nice. There is nothing much about the hotel/room.

Nothing bad to say.

David who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful with suggestions to restaurants and best way to get to places. Nothing was a problem.

The room is very tiny, and our room faced the inside yard with kinda no natural light. The bed is sooo small that our feet was in the air. there was no wc brush???? And the worst is that they get the amount from my card 2 times, and I had to call my bank to get one of them back.

the location

No much. We had a problem with the aircon, very warm at night. I am sure if we had advised them they could have corrected it. If you are large then it is unlikely you could get into the shower.

100 metres walk to Metro 3 line. Bar fridge, surrounded by excellent restaurants & bars at reasonable prices. Excellent walks to Louvre, Opera house etc. Large window in room that open with fresh air and views along Rue St Maur. Does have a lift

Wifi was slow at times.

For me, the location was perfect. Metro station is right around the corner as well as a smaller grocery store. Place de la Republique is in 10 - 15 Minutes walking distance. The rooms are small but modern and nicely furnished. Check-out was by noon which is longer than in other hotels and very much appreciated.

Room 506 At the back of the building, no street view.

The room was quite small, but very comfortable bed and nice pillows and linen. There was a bar fridge and jug with tea and coffee, no milk but this was supplied by the Conceirge Maurice along with china cups instead of paper ones which were in the room. He also provided us with a cork screw and glasses instead of plastic ones which are supplied. Unfortunately our room was at the back of the building with no street view and a very ugly outlook. We asked to be moved and he said he would see what he could do but this didn’t happened. As we were there for 4 nights that was disappointing. He mentioned the rooms facing the street could be noisy due to bars and restaurants but we said that was not a problem as the windows could be shut and there was air conditioning. Breakfast was adequate and good value for an extra 10 Euro each. Staff were very pleasant especially Maurice.

Supply crockery cups and saucers, not paper please. The Wi-Fi was pretty woeful ( couldn't Skype from the room). Nothing much else to complain about.

The staff were extremely helpful, especially Maurice and David. In particular, Maurice was most determined to make sure he answered all questions as fully as possible. The room was quiet as we kept the window shut, even though it was directly opposite a noisy bar, The hotel was close to the Metro, shops and cafes

I didn't like the lift and it felt very bouncy and it was very small so you could hardly fit in it and the bathroom door didn't have a lock which was not a bad thing but I found it a little weird.

The beds were comfortable ,staff were very friendly and helpful.

Small but nice rooms, friendly hosts, perfect place to stay for a week-end in Paris if you dont need much luxury and spacious rooms. Very close to Metro Saint Maur, and many nice, small, authentic restaurants in the area.

The Wi-Fi was terrible even after being reset by a friendly staff member. The bathroom is so tiny you can hardly fit in the shower if you are average size, much less if you are a bigger person! There is a loud bar across the street so it's a bit noisy until midnight on weeknights. No coffeemaker or standard amenities in our room.

The staff was friendly and the room was clean. Close to the metro station.

My only complaint is the WiFi. We couldn’t depend on it too much. It went in and out and was pretty slow when it connected so we used our phones for most of our research. Minor misgiving and did not at all impact our enjoyment at Verlain.

Nice little hotel, clean, courteous staff and overall positive experience. The TV channels are in French but if you search through the options some movie channels do indeed have an English stream you can select so we enjoyed a movie each night after our travels around Paris. Housecleaning did an excellent job each day, replaced all towels etc. I may have overlooked this in the booking details but we had a mini fridge with drinks and beer which was great. Prices weren’t bad for a hotel minibar either (e.g 3€ for a beer).

Booking confirmation was for a double room with a child bed . Unfortunately hotel told us that they had a confirmation only for adults and not for the baby !A very inconvenient position last minute in front of check in desk !!

Central position - clean and cosy

Wi-fi is extremely poor in fact it malfunctioned all the time. Instead of changing the bed sheets the staff reversed them. It is a bit noisy during weekends, however this is typical for Paris.

The location is great and secure. You can travel to most of the touristic attractions with only just one or at most two metro lines which is only 50 meters away. Staff is generally kind. Room size is reasonable.

It was my 4th time in this hotel and this time I was frustrated. While before I liked it - it is very basic but the staff was friendly and helpful, this time one of their staff was incredibly rude to me. I complained to others but did not even receive a proper apology. The hotel is very close to ESCP Europe Business School, that is why many students of the Executive Programme are staying here and I believe the hotel has started taking us for granted.

The most uncomfortable thing of our stay was the mattress. I have not slept in such an uncomfortable mattress in a very long time. All 4 of us woke up with back /neck pain every morning and we are all in our late 20s/ early 30s so you can imagine just how bad it was. The hotel rooms are very small, the ceiling in quite low and the shower heads in some rooms are so low that people over 6ft.1 may find it difficult to shower. Strange noises can be heard from pipes or the corridors and not really sound proof rooms unless you wear ear plugs in which case you can't really hear a thing. The areas under the bed looked like they haven't been vacuum cleaned in months although the rest of the room was clean. No toilet brush in the rooms, which gets rather interesting when 2 people need to use the loo for a number 2. This is certainly not comparable with other 3 star hotels I've been to in other cities/countries. I don't know if other 3 star hotels in Paris are on the same level but this was barely a 2 star experience and certainly not value for money.

The hotel is really close to at least 3 metro stations which makes the city sights very accessible. There are several places around for a quick bite or sit-down meal and several supermarkets for all budgets. It is busy on the streets around the hotel as it is a student neighborhood so it makes you feel safer. The reception staff were quite friendly and helpful, particularly the guy that usually works overnight. The cleaning staff were also friendly and still attended our rooms even though we are late risers.

The room was super tiny, normal for Paris. There was some noise in the corridors but it's not the hotel's fault. Internet was not the best but acceptable.

The hotel is very well situated, very close to all facilities. I got a very quiet room and slept really well

The wi-fi worked about 20 minutes for the duration of stay, completely unusable, this place should definitely hire some school-boy technician to fix it. The hotel keeps your money on preauthorization and forgets to cancel it so pay with a credit card and not debit one if you don't want to wait 30-45 days.

The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable.

Location was good, nice restaurants and bars within walking distance and multiple metro lines within walking distance too. Near a busy area but on a quiet street.

Bed could have been more comfortable. Walls were a little thin, so it wasn't the quietest possible, but not disruptive.

Staff was outstanding. I stayed here twice during my trip, as I took a weekend trip in the middle, they stored my luggage for me while I was traveling which was very convenient. Staff was super helpful for my poor french, and all spoke english. They even ordered a taxi for me to the airport after the Uber rates skyrocketed. Convenient mini bar. So close to the metro. Convenient breakfast on site for 10euro, I didn't eat there so I can't speak to it, but there's a cafe a few doors down that I went to have coffee at every morning.

The wi fi is not great but that's the case for most places in Paris. Also, the rooms need touching up, it was also very small and had little room for luggage. It can get a little cold in the evening so need to turn the heating on, but cannot leave it during the night since the AC makes sound while turned on.

The staff at the reception is great! The guy checking us in and out (I think his name was David but not sure, retired basketball player ;) ) was really friendly, made good jokes and suggested nice brasserie for dinner. He was helpful and generally created nice atmosphere. The location is also a plus for those that like nightlife, bars, restaurants, hyped places. The room was clean.

It was very noisy, the room was cold, the corridors were very tired and unlit. Two electrical sockets in my room were hanging off the wall. The worst part was the bar though, it's essentially a couple of chairs in reception and they only had 1 can of warm beer at the bar. Not one type, a single can.

it was clean and the bathroom was new

The room was quite small, e.g. no space for the 2nd chair in the twin room. Also having hooks for jackets would be nice. Not a big problem though, in the end it hasn't really mattered. Besides just to note that the hotel is blocking the total amount on the card upon booking even under the "pay later" and "free cancellation" conditions.

The hotel is located close to several metro stations and there are a lot of restaurants in the neighbourhood, including the small bar right opposite the hotel which gets loud at night. In general the area is nice, although not the central location. Our twin room was quite small, but then this is typical for Paris. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was also fine, with new shower, everything clean. Having tea-making facilities and safe in the room was nice. Breakfast was extra €10 pp and was OK (muesli, yogurt, cheese, eggs, fruit salad, pastry) but there are also some nice bakeries and a couple of groceries stores around. Reception personnel was very friendly and eager to help.

Maybe it will be better to look for other tea for breakfast (Lipton is totally artificial).

The staff is very helpful and friendly. It is very clean. The room space is enough to stay in the room. I liked all about this hotel and will return back, if I happen to travel to Paris again.

The cleaning lady took my personal towel from the bathroom. It was not the same color as the hotels towels, but still it was taken away.

The hotel is situated not far from metro station (2-3 minutes walking), so it is very easy to take a metro to the city's tourist objects by metro. The personnel in the hotel was nice and speaking English good. We took the breakfast at the hotel (10EUR extra per person) - there were eggs, cheese, yogurt and flakes, also nice coffee with french patisseries.

room size is small and the noise from the street during the day was really annoying, couldn't manage to nap after my overnight flight.

They managed to check me by noon instead of 2 pm as I arrived around 10am. The staff at the reception was generally very friendly.

The location is not as good as described. But this might be biased because the station to transfer to line4 from line3 was under construction...Our room was a bit noisy and I thought it stank a bit (you might not notice tho)..

The bed was comfortable and the air conditioning (or heating) works well. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The staff on reception were always friendly and most helpful. The atmosphere was very appealing. It was quiet and my room was protected from traffic noise. The location was good with food shopping opportunities nearby. The Metro station was only a few metres away. I would recommend it and definitely stay there again. It was very good value for money.

Everything was fine. The bars were a little noisy at night, but nothing to complain about.

The rooms were small in the European fashion, but extremely clean and adequate. The managers Rossen, David and Maurizio were excellent!!! All were extremely helpful in every aspect. They made the visit to the hotel as comfortable as possible, considering the airline lost our luggage. I would highly recommend this hotel.

I had a look at the breakfast however did not appeal - luckily not included in rate. No milk in the room. No real cups to drink coffee/tea.

Close to Metro, restaurant, cafe. Place comes alive at night. Very helpful friendly staff. Clean comfortable rooms with very modern sizeable bathroom.

TERRIBLE WI-FI, some members of staff at reception not that nice (while some others were super helpful), cleaning staff left garbage bag on top of our staff once and the window wide open on a chilly day

nice location next to dozens of restaurants, bars, the metro, super markets etc., quite modern for paris standards

The closest big street, rue de la République is not particularly inviting; but rue Saint Maur and the nearest cross street, rue Oberkampf, are lively in the evening with lot of inexpensive or moderately priced restaurant choices.

Nicely appointed, spotless room. Friendly and accommodating staff with good suggestions for local restaurants.

The areas nearby had plenty to discover, lots of tasty food etc. We found it very liveable, with lots to walk to and not overly touristy. The tourist sites are not difficult to get to. We like walking and the metro system is good. It suited us without being as expensive as some other options in Paris. It has 24hr reception and tasty dark choc covered almonds.

Not much to dislike hotel and value for the area excellent.

Paris is a tricky place to book. For the value, the hotel was excellent, in relationship to the Meteo excellent. In relationship to attractions and restaurants not the best location but in relationship to the price we paid it was as expected.

Weak WiFi connection with lots of connection errors

Very clean room with a modern equipment and bathroom; very friendly and competent reception (German speaking); proximity to metro station; nice bars close to the hotel

Room was tiny, reeked of the smell of waste water, location above cheap bistro meant more unpleasant smells would creep up in the evenings. Beds were rather uncomfortable.

Staff were friendly

We weren't too pleased with the fact that there was a bar right across the street from our window, and even though our room was on the 4th floor, the noise was still quite loud until the wee hours of the morning. Nothing a nice pair of earplugs can't solve though :))

It was very easy to get to this hotel. In fact it is easy to get pretty much anywhere in Paris, due to the extensive metro network. The hotel was very simple, but it was all we needed, since we were not going to spend a lot of time there, except for sleeping. The room we stayed in had a mini fridge, so we managed to use that to keep our water cool, which was very nice. All in all it was a pleasant experience!

there was a cockroach, but no compensation, except the room move. Felt totally unwelcomed upon C/I. (Staff who did check in even seemed bothered)

See above for what I did not like. Next time I would stay at a hotel a bit closer to a main train station. St Maur was a secondary metro station and to get to the line for CDG would have involved 2 metro stop changes. This is difficult when you have luggage, getting it up and down stairs at the train stations.To make life easier I took a taxi to Gare du Nord to catch train for CDG on departure

There was an incident with my registration . I arrived at the property at about 7.30 pm on 19/72017 after a 6 hour flight from Israel and then train ride from Orly airport. I was tired and just wanted to check in and go to my room. A pleasant young man Maurizio Lippi attended me. All was well until another guest arrived, completely out of turn started interrupting my check in my asking Maurizio questions and expecting him to attend to her at the same time. Nothing makes me more annoyed than people who do this. It is extremely rude, and conveys the attitude that they are more important. I became annoyed and asked the woman to wait her turn and let M finish my check in but no, she made a quick call to her partner who also appeared and started making even more demands, expecting M's attention. Finally I said, excuse me I am tired and would like to go to my room please. Maurizio continued and then the young woman again interrupted wanting the code to her room reset, at which I let out an Exasperated "far out" She was very lucky I did not become more abusive to her. Maurizio should have realised that it is not really possible to give good customer service to more than one person at a time and politely asked these people to wait for a moment. I felt that as an older person, I was not treated with respect and felt humiliated at not being given the attention I deserved as a paying customer. Maurizio could have handled the situation more professionally. While he was courteous to me at all other times, I felt reluctant to reward him with a tip on my departure. It was very unpleasant to say the least.

Elevator teensy by U.S. standards, very tight fit for a large person. Only one person at desk so wait time can require patience. Could not exchange money at hotel to ensure cleaning person got a usable tip so I left foreign money.

Staff-- including cleaning personnel, smilingly helped...with print outs, directions, questions. The air conditioning was crisp, excellent, and under our control. Wireless internet connection excellent! Proximity to the Metro, coffeeshops, restaurants and grocery store excellent! Price stunningly good. Beds cloudlike! Views so Parisian! French windows open to fresh air!! Cleanliness,utmost!

Wifi signal is my room is weak

Clean and comfortable room. Good lightning Bath tub shower is perfect! Nearby metro station and there are many cafes and shops around it.

A little expensive as for *** standard and such small rooms, but this is Paris, so You can either stay in the hotel, or let this city enchant You (like it did with me)! Elevator very small, for 2 people max, some may feel claustrophobic, but You can always use the stairs. Outside noise may be disturbing If You are not used to big city life.

Good location, easy to get to the hotel by subway and from the hotel to many tourist attractions (2 lines in close walking distance), comfortable bed with great pillows (2 types of pillows to choose from), bed long enough for tall people (I'm 1,9m high). Rooms and bathrooms clean, rooms cleaned and towels raplaced every day, hairdrayer working good. Nice view on the street with old buildings around (recommend rooms on 5th floor, the only floor with the balcony). A little noisy at night if You want to sleep with window opened, but this can be a plus if You also want to feel the Parisian lifestyle. Hotel is very close to popular street Rue Oberkampf, with lots of bars and restaurants, where You can start Your day with tasty French breakfast with always crunchy baguette, French croissant and good coffee for a good price of 8-10 EUR (similar price as in the hotel, but with much different atmosphere) and after a long day of sightseeing, You can come back to the hotel for a short refreshment and continue Your evening with a good and affordable supper (nice selection of French and Asian restaurants) and finish the night (or not) with a bar tour on Oberkampf, including live music and dancing in some bars.

The location wasn't as convenient for us. The breakfast wasn't as good as we had hoped it would be. No fresh cheese or fresh fruit, and breads were not very good.

The room was fine - clean and quiet and adequate for us. The reception was very friendly and helpful.

The room was a bit smaller than we would have liked but we'd still go back. Parts of the area are a tad rundown but we never felt unsafe.

The service at the front desk from everyone was excellent. The hotel has a funky, older charm to it and was great value for the money. There are Metro stops nearby and it doesn't take long to walk to areas with wonderful restaurants, patisseries, and boulangeries. If you are looking for a place to comfortably rest your head while in Paris this is a really good choice.

Small room but contained very comfortable beds, excellent airconditioner, very good bathroom & shower, safe, block-out curtains, friendly staff. Close to the Metro (a 10 minute train to the city) and great restaurants, bars, cafes and several little supermarket ls within 2 minute walk. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Hotel is located opposite a bar that was very noisy on weekend nights and interfered with my sleeping. Also the neighborhood it's in while safe is a bit rundown and uninteresting. The hotel while very clean is modern and lacks charm.

The reception desk staff. Very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

The wifi connection was not good. The bathroom was poorly designed and the power base for kettle was there but not the kettle itself. When I asked, the staff said sorry but they don't have any available and asked me if I could come down and collect a cup of hot water myself. Service!

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Rooms small but thats usual for Paris.

Pristine bathroom and comfy bed. Staff helpful and friendly. Very close to metro and local bars and restaurants.

Wi-fi was not good enough

Covenient location (close to 2 different metro station, that you will travel everywhere easily), very friendly and helpful staff, clean rooms, good balance price/benefit

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Shared bathroom, no ac (or I didn't find it), loud boats all night, mosquitos.

Agate is great. Feels like someone's apartment , makes you feel like you live there.

Metro just around the corner takes you to anywhere you would want to go to. Although plenty of restaurant's​ it is a quiet area so good night's​ sleep is still possible.

Male staff in reception very rude. They took money for booking 8 days before travel then placed it in a pending account. Then on check out we had to pay again. Was very rude about money goin back into account. Stating it could take up to 7 days. So basically we paid twice. We wouldn't book through bookin.com again. I had to borrow money to pay to check out. Very badly managed and has now left me worrying about when the money will go back in bank. :(

Nothing. It provided just what it advertised.

The staff were very friendly. The security was good. We liked the area and the hotel was close by my grandson's apartment. Simple but clean, comfortable and well priced. The night manager meant that the hotel was open when we had a late night. The hotel is located in a very popular area and our room overlooked the street but it was surprisingly quiet at night probably helped by the double glazing. Traffic noise was quite limited unlike the major road around the corner.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Staff helpful, especially David. Beds very clean and comfortable. House keeping very good - En Suite Toilet / shower / linen clean serviced daily. Rooms not quite as small as we were expecting but not spacious either. Communication with hotel after booking was prompt and to the point via Email and telephone especially as we were meeting as a family coming from Japan, south of France and the UK and needed to adjust our accommodation on the last minute. Continental breakfast was more than adequate with good fresh choice available. Two Metro stations close by making city travel easy. WiFi connection free and fast in bedrooms. Lift to all floors. Small bar available in pleasant and comfortable lobby area.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Very small room, very short bed. With 185cm height my feet were outside the materace. Very small, (but clean) shower.

Good location, 4 minutes on foot from the nearest Metro Station. Clean bathroom.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

The Verlain is a modern and clean hotel that I would recommend to anyone. The rooms are spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. It is well located, right next to the Rue St Maur metro station and there are some nice bars nearby as well as supermarkets and an ATM machine. The staff at the reception desk are great. I cant find a single fault with this hotel!

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Room size was small, but it was cozy.

It was good to take a rest even though the room size is small. I had stayed nearly 7 nights and everyday they do nice for make up room. also near to subway station, bus station.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

The breakfast was basic, no freshly cooked food just a buffet style with self serve coffee and cereals and pastries. It was not included in the rate so you had the option if you wanted to go somewhere else. But the value was good at €10pp A bar downstairs could be a problem for some if you prefer early bed time.

The location was close to restaurants. Hotel is in the Bohemian part of Paris so you don't feel just like a tourist

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Do not use Taxi's the traffic is so bad and it takes forever metro links are best

Great location, great nearby bars with good metro links, good value for money, mine and my husbands room was small but our friends was larger, very clean and tidy, with friendly staff who spoke good English.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Very small rooms, and very small shower stalls. Slow wifi connection. The bars across the street gets noisy especially on the weekends. Homeless people outside the hotel.

Near the metro, near good middle eastern restaurants

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

The wifi quality was very poor in our rooms, couldn't even use it and had to go to the lobby each time. the hallways were very dark and we could barely see where we were going

The hotel room was clean and modern

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

It is located where night life is happening in Paris. Very nice bars, fresh beers and cool plates of cheese and meat. very close to a mtero station (1 min walk) very close to a touristic bus tour (hop o hop off ) 5 mins walk

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

The bed was the most comfortable I've slept in in years. The desk clerk, M. David, was very professional and helpful. I love the location, as there are many good food establishments along rue Oberkampf, which is just a block or so away, and it is two metro stops from Place de la Republique, a central transfer point, and close to bus line 96, which goes past the Hotel de Ville and across the river.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

As typical in France, room/bathroom all quite small

Location is excellent, very much enjoyed the leisurely nightlife of Rue Oberkampf away from the tourist crowds.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The room access cards kept being deactivated and we had to continously go back to reception to activate the cards once we had left the room

Based on the value of the property the overall facilities were good. There was air-conditioning which was useful.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Room was very small so much so that I could not walk around the bed but this is Paris so I guess space is at a premium.

Location was extremely convenient for conference and my room was very quiet. Both of which I very much appreciated

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

The lift was cramped, but you can make friends using it:-)

Conveniently located just a few meters from the Metro Station with plenty of cafes and bars in the vicinity. Very lively at night!

The room is small. But that's normal for Paris...

Location is good. hotel is clean.

Breakfast was not included.

Close to the metro. Very clean. The staff super friendly and knowledgeable.

Kamers zijn erg klein

What you see is what you get, geen verrassingen

Needs renovation.

Staff very good and helpful.

Wifi was very poor, unusable to work.

Cleanliness and quality of furniture was better than expected for this price.

Small room Paper cups for coffee and tea in the room

Good location Good reception staff

The location was excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful.

Browse Verlain traveller photo gallery