Reviews of The Abbey Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

84, High Street, Battle, TN33 0AQ, United Kingdom

#2 of 8 hotels in Battle

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

Nice room with great view but customer service could be improved. More staff?
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

Check in is in the bar and barman made us wait for him to make a large jug of pimms and 4 other drinks before checking us in which took about 30 seconds. We ate in the hotel as the menu was fab but the food did not live up to the promise, although the moussaka was good but smallish portion for price.

Nice if smallish room with great view of the Abbey. Dogs welcome.

• Reviewed: June 17, 2018

Great reception from owners and all staff were very friendly.
    • Double Room - Room 6

Great reception from owners and all staff were very friendly. Lovely hotel and location right across from the Abbey and battlefield. Thanks for great stay.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2018

Fine
    • Double Room - Room 7

I would not rate their admin, I asked three time for confirmation by email about the changes I had made to my booking but did not get it. No on site parking and difficult to find the car park which was a walk away.

Lots of effort made to make our stay a pleasant one. The team were very flexible and helpful.

• Reviewed: May 10, 2018

Rather casual customer service, inexpensive, convenient for the Abbey
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

The bathroom was spacious but strangely designed as you could not stand up to have a shower! this was due to the sloping ceiling above the bath. There was no shower curtain.

The room was unusual, only having dormer windows; at the side of the house the room was quiet, a bonus. the fresh tea was very delicious

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

A good stay
    • Double Room - Room 7

The bathroom smelt of food, as if the extractor fan was connected to the kitchen

Lovely room and bar area . The breakfast was very good and the service

• Reviewed: March 24, 2018

Clean and tidy Yes Warm and cozy No quiet definitly Not
    • Double Room - Room 5

Heating goes off at night and its freezing. Duvet is thin and cold. Walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on in the next room

The warm shower

• Reviewed: March 20, 2018

Excellent booked to return
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

Friendly welcome . Efficient staff. Excellent food..return visit after enjoying lamb shank supper .. breakfast yoghurt and berries scrumptious. Bed comfy good quality towels and linen .. very clean ..

• Reviewed: March 2, 2018

Warm in Battle

The weather!

I stayed in room seven which is at the back of the hotel and so was very quiet. The room and bed were comfortable. I had a meal in the bar in the evening at the hotel which was very tasty and well priced. All the staff were very friendly which is nice when you are travelling on your own. Best thing is the chest of draws at the top of the stairs so that if you have forgotten anything you can help yourself for a donation. The breakfast was also very good.

• Reviewed: February 22, 2018

Perfectly suited for our overnight stay.
    • Double Room - Room 5

Narrow stairs, but only to be expected in a very old building. Room small and space a bit tight. Parking may be difficult during the week,only limited street parking adjacent to the hotel.

Friendly staff. Comfortable bed, lovely shower.For us is it was ideal for a short stay, excellent breakfast. Great selection of cheese boards.

• Reviewed: February 6, 2018

Good Breakfast, nice room
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Guidance for car parking in Battle - beyond the hotels control but - Abbey Car Park - currently £4.50 per day and supposedly "no overnight parking " - ridiculous for an essential resource !

Good Breakfast, nice room

• Reviewed: January 22, 2018

Enjoyable last minute break in a lovely little quaint hotel.
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Parking was a bit of a chore but not impossible.

A lovely quaint little hotel with restraunt and pub. The owners were lovely as were their family who run the pkace. Enjoyed our brief stay and will return soon.

• Reviewed: January 18, 2018

Lovely homely hotel - excellent value for money
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

Rooms are really noisy as in the main road - traffic noise throughout the night and heavier very early morning. Unfortunately it was very windy and the hotel sign outside the window creaked and groaned all night - owners said they would address it

Cosy environment, great location, friendly helpful staff

• Reviewed: December 30, 2017

Smart hotel in heart of Battle.
    • Double Room - Room 7

Wasn't a problem to us as we were so tired - landing hall light was on all night and very bright. It shone through the slight door gap onto pillows.

In the centre of Battle opposite the Abbey. Clean, smart decorated room with comfortable bed and luxury bathroom with gel and shampoo provided. Huge wall mounted freeview tv. No parking, we parked in Abbey car park with CCTV £4.50 per day. Staff very polite, friendly and helpful. Breakfast (included in price but not indicated on Booking.com website) is excellent. Dog friendly too. Very nice touch was their honesty chest - if you've forgotten essentials; razor, toothpaste etc. Would love to stay again.

• Reviewed: December 27, 2017

Great location, neat room.
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 2

Would have appreciated a rail in the shower and bathroom as older people might appreciate something to hold onto if surfaces are slippery. The room was advertised with breakfast but none was available on Christmas Day. I don’t necessarily mind, but a reflection in the price would have been nice.

Really great location, staff were friendly. Recently renovated rooms were very pretty and the bed was comfy.

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Abbey Hotel 2nd December
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

There was nothing to dislike

We loved everything about the property. The room was very comfortable, clean and well decorated. The bed was comfortable too. It is a family run business and the staff couldn’t be more welcoming and friendly. The food in the restaurant was excellent. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: December 1, 2017

Friendly and welcoming staff, comfortable room with kettle,...
    • Double Room - Room 6

Minor quibbles but: room was a bit cold on arrival! Busy evening so had to elbow past people buying drinks to check in at the bar.

Friendly and welcoming staff, comfortable room with kettle, tea and biscuits, top location right opposite Battle Abbey, dressing gown provided, delicious breakfast included in the price.

• Reviewed: October 28, 2017

Very enjoyable would certainly book there if im ever in the area again
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Parking not brilliant as you are on the High Street but there is a pay car park a short walk away

Staff were excellent, very accommodating , my flight was late but they met me at 02:30 in the morning, room great, and evening meals just as good

• Reviewed: October 25, 2017

Great location for country break
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

Great room, best view towards the Abbey, lovely details like special tea and coffee selection and great breakfast options. Excellent breakfast coffee, very friendly staff. Highly recommended. Good garden as well.

• Reviewed: October 23, 2017

Incredible, we will definitely be back!
    • Double Room - Room 7

A full length mirror in our room would have been nice but it wasn’t a huge issue.

Great selection of whiskey, the staff were lovely, very approachable and accommodating when we asked for a late checkout on the Sunday. We had dinner in the hotel on the Friday night and the food was amazing, particularly the nachos! The beds were very comfortable and our room had an amazing selection of tea, the room was at the back of the hotel so no noise was heard from the pub downstairs. This hotel is also in a great location with a car park nearby.

• Reviewed: September 25, 2017

Lovely break with husband to historic Battle.
    • Double Room - Room 5

Lovely location right across from The Abbey. No parking on site but public car park at either end of High Street. Lovely welcome by Charlie and the staff. Room was lovely. Small touches like a cabinet full of items guests may have forgotten plus complimentary rock. Breakfast which was included with price was absolutely delicious (we had the full English). Would definitely recommend!

• Reviewed: September 25, 2017

Only stayed for one night (could have stayed for longer), the staff were excellent from the time of checking in to checking out. The breakfast was excellent and freshly cooked. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel in Battle. Well done to the staff and keep up the good work and hope to see you soon!

• Reviewed: September 25, 2017

Extremely pleasant! Lovely room, great food and friendly staff.
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Only fault is no on site parking but there is parking close by.

The hotel was lovely! Room was clean and tidy. Bed comfy and loved the little added extras in the room of complementary water and robes. Staff were really nice and friendly and made the stay even more pleasant. The breakfast and other food that we had was extremely nice. Would definitely recommend to others

• Reviewed: September 16, 2017

Overall I was satisfied with my stay here and I would definitely stay here again.
    • Double Room - Room 5

What could have been better was the breakfast - both the food and the service left issues to be desired. I didn't like that when I chose a fresh pear from the fruit bowl, a cloud of fruit flies came up from the bowl - most off-putting! The food was generous in portion size but my eggs were overcooked on 2 out of my 3 mornings. The service was also quite slow on those two mornings and I'm fairly sure that the young woman server addressed me as 'hon' or 'honey' - I don't like that but I didn't challenge it at the time because she was clearly quite busy and appeared to be working on her own. I think hygiene in the bedroom could be improved by the use of a mattress protector between the bed mattress and the bottom sheet.

I liked that the bedrooms have received a major refurbishment since my last visit 3-5 years ago. The bed was comfortable, the room and bathroom were well kitted out and with tea/coffee making facilities. Because the rooms are situated above a pub I was expecting there to be some noise from downstairs and there was a little but it was tolerable and I was pleasantly surprised and relieved that everything went quiet at closing time. I had a good nights sleep on all 3 nights of my stay. I had an evening meal on one of my nights there - the food was tasty and very nicely cooked, there were good varied menu choices, and efficient service.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2017

I'll happily go back again!
    • Double Room - Room 6

Only public parking available. WiFi... it worked in my room, but not in the restaurant.

I really liked the rustik atmosphere of this tiny hotel. My room was basic and rather small, not a problem for me traveling alone. I found this compact hotel extremely comfy! Extra plus for the bed, sleeps like a dream! Staff was/is fantastic! Food was served quickly, menu inspired with plenty big portions, don't expect to finish your plate. If the weather is ok, the garden behind the house looks like a nice place to spend some time.

• Reviewed: September 4, 2017

Overall very nice atmosphere in the hotel rooms and bar/restaurant public areas.
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

We enjoyed a good breakfast from a reasonable menu but the preparation time for us four and about eight other guests in at that time was quite slow. No hurry so not a problem but detracted slightly. There is no on-site or very nearby parking. Nearest is Abbey car park or Mount Street charging £4.50 and upwards from £2.00 respectively for short stays.

A short stay; one night, but room at the rear of the hotel was very nice (Room 4). Split level down from the entrance door with sufficient space

• Reviewed: September 4, 2017

A mixed bag. The hotel itself is very nice, but I just feel the staff (one member
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 2

The problem with the hotel came unfortunately with a particular staff member. It was such a shame because initially the staff were very willing to help and they spent the time to try and accommodate us. But as soon as things went wrong, the attitude was not quite right for hospitality I feel. So we booked a taxi, which unfortunately they got us mixed up with another guest and changed our booking by accident. Mistakes happen, which is understandable, but we did not get an apology, and were told to just "deal with it". It was only when we suggested swapping with the other guest's taxi when it worked out, and luckily the taxi driver was very understanding and let us off of the extra charge. All was well after this (to be fair we weren't in the hotel!) until the nights stay. It is quite a noisy hotel in terms of creaking floor boards, a busy road outside of the window etc. The bed was comfortable, and I myself was fine sleeping, but my girlfriend is a light sleeper, which mean't she did not sleep so well unfortunately. When we sat down for the breakfast, we were happy to hear it was included. We arrived for Breakfast before 10 am, but had to wait over 1.5 hours for the breakfast to arrive! When it did come out, they messed up our order and attempted to give us a meaty breakfast instead of a veggie one, weirdest thing was that we had bacon on our veggie breakfast! So the attitude to this was not to apoligise, but to shout at the other staff who took the order - personally I this makes me feel uncomfortable, and I do not really feel this is the right way to work in hospitality! Later on another member of staff (a lady as opposed to the man) did apologise and was quite nice about it, which made us feel better - and she said we could check out later as result which was much nicer.

The hotel itself, the facilities and the town were lovely. They had a nice part of the hotel where if you forgot something (like I had forgotten my toothbrush) you could donate an amount and claim the forgotten item.

• Reviewed: August 25, 2017

Highly recommended.
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Parking is on-street, though it a main road and fairly safe.

Very friendly, lovely clean room and a great breakfast. One of the best places I've stayed.

• Reviewed: August 16, 2017

We felt totally spoilt and enjoyed our relaxed stay. Will definitely be back for more very soon!
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Room 4, wonderfully characteristic but probably not too good in the shower/bath area if you are tall, fortunately we are both shortish!

The food was very good , the staff friendly and efficient.

• Reviewed: August 14, 2017

Lovely. The staff made it very pleasurable especially as I was alone.
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 1

Car parking is a nightmare and also the room was not very big. For one night it was fine. I think if I stayed longer I'd want a bigger room especially if my dog came next time !

The staff were superb

• Reviewed: August 7, 2017

Beautiful Family run Hotel

Everything was perfect.

We were going to a wedding in The Abbey so I booked this hotel for two nights. We were so happy, it is a lovely family run hotel. Our room was spotless and the bed very comfortable. The restaurant was lovely and the food and the service were excellent. Everything was done with a smile. I would definitely recommend this hotel, it gets a 'Gold Star' from us.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2017

Perfect location for a wedding we were attending at the Abby.
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

No shower in our room - not the end of the world though!!

Perfect location for a wedding we were attending at the Abby. Really comfy bed, nice and clean room. Great breakfast! Would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: July 22, 2017

Comfort, convenience and a fantastic breakfast in wonderful surroundings.
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 2

Nothing. Everything was fantastic.

A modern, clean, tastefully decorated and comfortable hotel housed in a wonderful, 300 year old building. The Abbey Hotel has everything you need for a comfortable stay, provides a great breakfast and is situated in the perfect spot adjacent to Battle Abbey.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2017

Quality quaint hotel
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

The position of the bath makes it difficult to shower but just enjoy a leisurely bath instead!

Location is excellent, staff friendly and delicious full English breakfast. When we there were no taxis available to take us to train station, the hotel owner arranged a lift to station. This hotel goes above and beyond in their customer service.

• Reviewed: July 3, 2017

Excellent hotel!
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Our room could not accommodate a shower, so it only had a bath. This was not a problem for us, but I might be for someone else.

Lovely room, very clean and the bed was really comfortable. There was very little noise and we both slept very well. Breakfast was great and the portions were very generous.

• Reviewed: June 11, 2017

A good start...sadly let down by qualty control
    • Double Room - Room 7

The parking. When we arrived there was no outside parking and the abbey was full the nearest carpark was a five minute walkaway not ideal with bags. The second night caused a problem We had quite a full day and went to bed while people were still in the garden. I awoke about 3 oclock to a loud humming noise, someone had left the extractor fan on in the kitchen. The loud was quite unbearable. When we went down in the morning the owner was not there, The young lady was taking orders for breakfast. I ordered the full english. The girl went away and we were left with a few other guests. The owner came out and the juice bottles were empty and he made a comment about having them on tap as he goes through so much of it. The breakfast came with the coffee pot. The toast and mushrooms were burnt. So were the peoples on the next table. The coffee was cold and undrinkable the cup was dirty. Mypartner went to see someone , But the young girl was talking to someone loudly about not being paid for what she was doing. So my parntner left it. When the girl came out she sat by the bar looking at her phone. The owner was no where to be seen . So we left. I would have second thoughts on going back there. The first night was lovely the second night and breakfast let them down. Not good for £200 spent

The room although small was quite confortable. The shower was excellent , hot , powerfull and well equipt with shampoo and gel. The pub was modern and quirky. The breakfast on day one was very good.

• Reviewed: June 5, 2017

Enjoyed the Stay
    • Double Room - Room 5

No wardrobe to hang up clothes, basically all that was available I would describe was a converted hat stand. Otherwise the Hotel was tasteful decorated and adequate for my requirements.

Clean and bright with very friendly staff. English Breakfast was huge a little too much for me.

• Reviewed: May 7, 2017

Nice Renovation on The Abbey
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

We did not really like the selection of the menu for dinner. There were things in the lunch menu we would have liked for dinner, but weren't being served. The dinner menu was a bit too high end for what we were looking for. It would be nice for a special night out, I think.

We had stayed at The Abbey before it was renovated. They did a wonderful and tasteful job with the reno. It is very comfortable.

• Reviewed: April 9, 2017

Lovely hidden gem
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 2

Had room 2 this time - everything great apart from the road noise - actually felt like you were on the pavement next to the road - really loud ! Have tried to whiten it with secondary double glazing but it hasn't worked

Staff are great Lovely and comfortable Clean and modern but not sterile Fantastic view of the abbey from the bed!

• Reviewed: March 24, 2017

Great Find
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Room had no shower and I didn't realise, hopefully they have other rooms that do? Headboard was very dusty Parking a bit of a pain when carrying briefcase, suitcase jackets etc

Lovely safe feeling and comfortable place, Bar/restaurant was cosy and the menu looked great - would feel comfortable eating here alone

• Reviewed: March 5, 2017

The Abbey Hotel was very welcoming, with a fabulous and...
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

The Abbey Hotel was very welcoming, with a fabulous and comfortable decor, home cooking, warm and comfortable. We met Charlie and his staff who were all friendly and helpful. Our room was great and we couldn't have had a more pleasant stay.

• Reviewed: March 5, 2017

An absolute gem of a hotel.
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 1

We had the most wonderful stay at this gem of a hotel. The room was spotless, cosy and had a lovely view of Battle Abbey. The food was out of this world. Two very happy people. Lisa and Mark x

• Reviewed: January 2, 2017

Lovely hotel in a great location
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 1

Friendliness of the staff. Some very thoughtful nice little touches in room that you only really find in big hotels. food is excellent. And the location is perfect.

• Reviewed: October 6, 2016

comfortable
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 1

the portions at dinner were very large the food was tasty and good and much enjoyed, so I would make the portions small.

a pleasant comfortable stay. the staff friendly and engaging.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

A very relaxing stay.
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

The bathroom was a bit tricky!

A very friendly and comfortable place to stay in the centre of Battle.

• Reviewed: July 3, 2018

It was nice that the wedding party had breakfast together on...
    • Double Room - Room 6

It was nice that the wedding party had breakfast together on one long continuous table, There was a nice friendly atmosphere in the Abbey Hotel

• Reviewed: June 24, 2018

Everything was absolutely fabulous.

Everything was absolutely fabulous. A wonderful comfortable place to stay the night and great food too.

• Reviewed: June 17, 2018

Good standard of accommodation, excellent food, friendly...
    • Double Room - Room 5

Good standard of accommodation, excellent food, friendly staff

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

Disappointing and would not stay there again. Found somewhere else in the area for my visit in 2019
    • Double Room - Room 5

No parking had to use a public car park and pay at the other end of the town

Comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: May 21, 2018

Anniversary Stay

Not a thing!

Beautiful settings, comfy room, amazing food and amazing service. Staff so helpful!

• Reviewed: May 14, 2018

Great place to start your holiday
    • Double Room - Room 6

Staff very good, welcoming and attentive

• Reviewed: May 10, 2018

Vary relaxing weekend stay
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 1

Our stay was first class

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

Disappointing manner of ownerwhen you are a paying guest

Owners manner

Receptionist/barmaid

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

Breakfast - poor quality, no bread

Breakfast - poor quality, no bread

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

Very poor
    • Double Room - Room 5

The restaurant and bar was closed and the hotel was full. Breakfast was poor no bread for toast !

Rooms were well equipped

• Reviewed: April 25, 2018

A very cosy comfortable friendly stay.

Friendliness and quality of food. Location and comfort.

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

Disappointed

The room

• Reviewed: March 31, 2018

great room, fantastic food
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 2

fire door on bathroom very annoying

food was excellent

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

bed was comfy-shower door was broken though trouble stopping...

shower, room 5 ,shower door was broken

bed was comfy-shower door was broken though trouble stopping water going on the floor

• Reviewed: March 25, 2018

A perfect place to relax and ynwind
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Our stay wasn’t long enough!

Loved the experience and a lovely clean hotel

• Reviewed: March 5, 2018

Rich
    • Double Room - Room 7

One dirty cup at breakfast

A good friendley place

• Reviewed: February 22, 2018

Room was great, food lovely

Room was great, food lovely

• Reviewed: February 19, 2018

Cosy, friendly and comfortable hotel with great food in a great location
    • Double Room - Room 7

Beds very comfortable. Breakfast was good quality and large choice of items.

• Reviewed: February 10, 2018

Visit to Battle

No shower

• Reviewed: February 4, 2018

Dinner and breakfast were amazing, staff were lovely and bed...
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 1

Dinner and breakfast were amazing, staff were lovely and bed was well comfy!

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Great staff.

Great staff.

• Reviewed: November 24, 2017

The staff in the evening were very exceptional!
    • Superior Double Room - Room 4

Lack of shelf I. The bathroom... nowhere to put a wash bag !

The staff in the evening were very exceptional!

• Reviewed: November 16, 2017

Wonderful
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 1

No chocolates on the pillow. Not really, it was perfect.

Excellent location and view from the window was amazing. Super friendly staff.

• Reviewed: November 10, 2017

Abbey Hotel Great Place To stay!
    • Double Room - Room 6

The owners and staff were lovely and so friendly. Meals were very nice.

• Reviewed: November 4, 2017

Average with bad beer.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

The beer was poor- real ale was stale- probably because of slow turnover- bar was dead both nights.

• Reviewed: October 30, 2017

Great staff - very accommodating!
    • Double Room - Room 7

Great breakfast - the perfect huge portion after a big wedding!

• Reviewed: October 9, 2017

Amazing
    • Double Room - Room 6

Fantastic service and the staff were very friendly! We will definitely be returning in the future. X

• Reviewed: October 9, 2017

fantastic

Romantic break - lovely hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room - Room 2

Boutique and niche - well appointed and comfortable. Well located and perfect for a romantic night away from the hussle and bustle of life.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2017

Central location, good food but parking sometimes difficult.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

Parking can be difficult in busy times.

Helpful staff and room had a good view of the Abbey. Enjoyed the food in the restaurant.

• Reviewed: September 12, 2017

Comfortable hotel in the heart of Battle, above the pub (but...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room - Room 3

Comfortable hotel in the heart of Battle, above the pub (but quiet)